PDA

View Full Version : Spurs haven’t won a playoff series since Tony Parker was the starting PG

SASdynasty!
04-16-2022, 10:29 AM
Since Parker was injured mid-playoffs in 2017, the Spurs haven’t won a single playoff series.

bluebellmaniac
04-16-2022, 10:46 AM
Since Parker was injured mid-playoffs in 2017, the Spurs haven’t won a single playoff series.

He should be healed by now. Re-sign him.

Leetonidas
04-16-2022, 10:48 AM
Okay? The Kings havent won one since 2004. The Hornets since like 2001 lol. We're rebuilding, this isn't unexpected

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-16-2022, 01:41 PM
Making the playoffs might improve the team’s chances of winning a series.

ducks
04-16-2022, 02:08 PM

Firing pop would also

offset formation
04-16-2022, 02:16 PM
Okay? The Kings havent won one since 2004. The Hornets since like 2001 lol. We're rebuilding, this isn't unexpected

We're only rebuilding because Brian Wright made some nice trades and we have 3 FRPs. It's not like we've really developed a bunch of talent lately like Memphis has done. Murray and Vassell probably then a pretty big drop off. Primo regressed to the point many of us now doubt his ceiling. Either way, I'd say we kind of are stuck in a purgatory between contention and tanking.

SASdynasty!
04-16-2022, 02:19 PM
He should be healed by now. Re-sign him.
Spurs had the chance and they lowballed him and told him he would be 3rd string behind Murray & Mills, lol. I would sign him and make him the starter next season if he would be willing to come back. Same for Duncan and Manu (honestly). Team might actually make the playoffs.

SASdynasty!
04-16-2022, 02:23 PM
True, and to be fair we did make it as high as the 7th seed twice since they pulled Parker from starting. 😂

objective
04-16-2022, 02:37 PM
They would have beaten Denver if not for bad coaching

Game 2 was won if Pop didn't insist on rolling out the suicide squad to lose giant leads in both halves. Win game 2 and Denver is over

R. DeMurre
04-16-2022, 03:38 PM
:drunk Thanks, Obama

RC_Drunkford
04-16-2022, 06:44 PM
They would have beaten Denver if not for bad coaching

Game 2 was won if Pop didn't insist on rolling out the suicide squad to lose giant leads in both halves. Win game 2 and Denver is over

facts. Spurs would‘ve made the WCF. The Morris fiasco was the nail in the coffin

rascal
04-19-2022, 09:41 PM
Have they won a series since Duncan left?

K...
04-19-2022, 11:19 PM

Memphis, houston, zaza?.

Dex
04-20-2022, 09:26 AM

We made the WCF without Duncan, then Zaza happened.

widowmaker
04-20-2022, 09:39 AM
I have a feeling that the next time the Spurs win a playoff series tp wont be the starting point guard.

KingKev
04-20-2022, 09:42 AM
I have a feeling that the next time the Spurs win a playoff series tp wont be the starting point guard.

The next time we win a playoff series it might be one of his sons in the starting lineup.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-20-2022, 10:45 AM
We made the WCF without Duncan, then Zaza happened.

Zaza single-handedly (footedly?) brought down a dynasty. Fvcking Zaza.

KingKev
04-20-2022, 10:49 AM

In many ways but Pop was already going senile at that point. That series would have gone deep but without Kawhi going bonkers we would have lost that series eventually.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-20-2022, 10:59 AM
In many ways but Pop was already going senile at that point. That series would have gone deep but without Kawhi going bonkers we would have lost that series eventually.

I think the aftermath of that series is what really sunk the Spurs, win or lose. Had we lost, but kept Kawhi in the fold somehow, we'd of been fine to this day I think, always contending if not winning it all. My Zaza comment was somewhat laced in sarcasm.

I think Pop was great at continually building around great core pieces, molding that particular group of players and feeding to its strengths. Where he and his FO team proved to not be the most agile bunch is when it came to having to zag quickly in a new direction. I think it was outside of his comfort zone to throw in the towel and start over, or make major changes to the roster to ensure future success. It was pretty obvious that Demar and Aldridge weren't a good fit together and that the Spurs weren't going to contend with those two. As soon as that was apparent the Spurs should have maximized the return on those guys and moved them. Instead Pop tried to continue to do what he'd done for the previous 20 years which was to modify the team structure just enough to maximize his stars' talents. Unfortunately he didn't have the right stars anymore. I'm still not sure I'm sold on Brian Wright, but at least he seems a little better equipped to manage a rebuild than what it appears Pop and RC are capable of at this point.

KingKev
04-20-2022, 11:28 AM
I think the aftermath of that series is what really sunk the Spurs, win or lose. Had we lost, but kept Kawhi in the fold somehow, we'd of been fine to this day I think, always contending if not winning it all. My Zaza comment was somewhat laced in sarcasm.

I think Pop was great at continually building around great core pieces, molding that particular group of players and feeding to its strengths. Where he and his FO team proved to not be the most agile bunch is when it came to having to zag quickly in a new direction. I think it was outside of his comfort zone to throw in the towel and start over, or make major changes to the roster to ensure future success. It was pretty obvious that Demar and Aldridge weren't a good fit together and that the Spurs weren't going to contend with those two. As soon as that was apparent the Spurs should have maximized the return on those guys and moved them. Instead Pop tried to continue to do what he'd done for the previous 20 years which was to modify the team structure just enough to maximize his stars' talents. Unfortunately he didn't have the right stars anymore. I'm still not sure I'm sold on Brian Wright, but at least he seems a little better equipped to manage a rebuild than what it appears Pop and RC are capable of at this point.

This is a very even keeled assessment. LMA is a clear example of that. Kawhi might not have become the player he is with out the environment Duncan, Parker, Manu and Pop provided. The reason DJ thrives is that he thrives on the challenge and opportunity Pop and the Spurs have given him; it’s a very reciprocal relationship.

I actually now see B Wright as the bridge between the Pop way and a different way to managing player acquisitions. B Wright has no accolades but total accountability. He can’t rely on his track record. As he gets more autonomy I hope he can border Spurs culture with hard business decisions. Poo simply can’t do that these days.

widowmaker
04-20-2022, 06:53 PM
The next time we win a playoff series it might be one of his sons in the starting lineup.

Na i heard through the grape vine his sons are focusing on baseball.

rascal
04-26-2022, 09:26 PM

The Spurs were on the way down when Duncan left. No Duncan, no titles. No titles before and no titles after.

San Antonio will never win another title. The franchise will eventually move before it wins again.

gambit1990
04-27-2022, 03:37 PM
tony hasn't won a playoff series since he was a spur.