PDA

View Full Version : 2022 Draft and Primo

vy65
04-16-2022, 05:26 PM
The justification for taking Primo at 12 was that he would go higher if he had stayed at Alabama for one more year and declared for the 2022 draft. Obviously, this was an impossible justification, but indulging the counter-factual, would Primo go higher than 12 (his pick) or 9 (assuming that’s the Spurs pick) in this year’s draft?

Ariel
04-16-2022, 05:29 PM
It depends on how he'd have performed. But when I see players ranked at that range, there's at least one aspect in which they stand out, be that athletically, skills, scoring, defense... Primo's highest selling point is his youth and that he's a good kid. Only SA would take him on that premise.

rascal
04-16-2022, 06:05 PM
The justification for taking Primo at 12 was that he would go higher if he had stayed at Alabama for one more year and declared for the 2022 draft. Obviously, this was an impossible justification, but indulging the counter-factual, would Primo go higher than 12 (his pick) or 9 (assuming that’s the Spurs pick) in this year’s draft?

I don't think he would.

RC_Drunkford
04-16-2022, 06:40 PM
He would be a mid 20s pick in this draft

exstatic
04-16-2022, 06:44 PM
It depends on how he'd have performed. But when I see players ranked at that range, there's at least one aspect in which they stand out, be that athletically, skills, scoring, defense... Primo's highest selling point is his youth and that he's a good kid. Only SA would take him on that premise.

It was actually shooting, and some unlockable playmaking, plus stout defense. His shooting was fine until his funky landing caused an injury, and they started reworking his shot during the season. That will leave a mark.

tonight...you
04-16-2022, 06:45 PM
Nobody knows. Him playing in college another year could have bumped him with more spotlight.
Or he doesn't show a hell of a lot and our team messed up.

But nobody here can speak definitively upon the subject because there are too many variables.

emanueldavidginobili
04-16-2022, 07:17 PM
Who knows, he definitely shouldn't have been drafted at 12 based off his season at Alabama but the Spurs decided to take a chance and invest in him. I'm sure his role would have changed in his sophomore year but who knows how well he would have played, he sat in the corner and shot it 6 times a game his freshman year, the Spurs reached beyond belief but lets see how it plays out.

BacktoBasics
04-16-2022, 07:32 PM
He’s clearly allowed our coaching staff to reign him in. Classic Spurs developmental type stuff. I like that. Shows he’s coachable and willing to work on evolving his game outside of scoring when a lot of guys get set in their ways early on.

The early indicators tell me he would have likely broken out his second year and played a much bigger role offensively. You could see that fearlessness early in the summer league, preseason and g-league. Then he transitioned to working on certain aspects of his game and took a team first approach when he finished the season on the main squad.

I’m happy with the pick today. I wasn’t on draft day but that’s my own ignorance.

vy65
04-16-2022, 08:25 PM
That no one can answer this with with an unequivocal yes goes to show how shitty a pick he was.

The Truth #6
04-16-2022, 08:32 PM
The justification part of the question is speculation also. We don’t know the Spurs’ rationale nor can we predict the multiverse. Having said that, no, I don’t think he would be ranked top ten.

rascal
04-16-2022, 08:34 PM
That no one can answer this with with an unequivocal yes goes to show how shitty a pick he was.

At this point it doesn't look like the best pick. It was a reach but he can still improve and justify the pick later.

offset formation
04-16-2022, 08:39 PM
For me, it comes down to this: there's good and bad news with him. I think he will be a very solid player for us, and at times be the best player on the court. Bad news is his ceiling isn't what many of us hoped for long term. But a potentially better Danny Green isn't all that bad. Pick #12 in the 2021 draft, worth it? Not with Alperen Sengun on the board, so probably not unless he develops another part of his game that doesn't seem obvious right now.

Ariel
04-16-2022, 08:41 PM
The justification part of the question is speculation also. We don’t know the Spurs’ rationale nor can we predict the multiverse. Having said that, no, I don’t think he would be ranked top ten.
Well... in infinite universes, probabilities would have Primo making the top ten in at least... ok, in none.

Mr. Body
04-16-2022, 09:18 PM
He'd be far bigger than most NCAA guards. As mentioned, he's also confining himself within sets. Over the summer league he was doing things he no longer does (at this point). It's stupid to think he'd actually fall in this draft -- he'd clearly be an exceptional college sophomore -- the question is how good.

I remember some dude for the Longhorns kind of played like Manu like ten years ago. My friend was like, this guy could be just as good, but that was silly. He was doing it against college competition. Same thing with Primo in the opposite direction.

SpurSpike
04-16-2022, 09:28 PM
It would only be fair to evaluate him based on his g league performance because that would be more on par with the college level.

Rito3d30
04-16-2022, 10:01 PM
It was actually shooting, and some unlockable playmaking, plus stout defense. His shooting was fine until his funky landing caused an injury, and they started reworking his shot during the season. That will leave a mark.

wow I didn't know about this, was this being reported?

spurs1990
04-16-2022, 10:05 PM
Looking at the players picked after Primo, there's not too many whose stats or contribution stands out apart from these guys:

13) Duarte - 13ppg, 39 starts, 55 GP, garbage Pacers team, 5 years older
18) Tre Mann - 10ppg, 26 starts, 60 GP, beyond garbage OKC team, 6'3 PG not needed on Spurs roster
26) Bones Hyland - 10pts, 69 gms, another 6'3 PG see above
35) Herbert Jones - 9.5pts, 69 starts, great 6'8 PF defender, 4 years older, who could've seen him coming anyway

Based on that it's nothing to judge him harshly at this point. He's got just as much chance to succeed as any player picked after him.

BacktoBasics
04-16-2022, 10:20 PM
Duarte and Jones are interesting but Duarte particularly was low risk med ceiling and out of the timeline.

I think this thread is a great example of the absurdity of spurs posters here. Ready to write off literally the youngest player in the league who started late in the season for a team that nearly made the playoffs. 4-5 years away from guys we think “might” have been a better pick.

That’s insanity. This forum is ridiculous at times. All indications point to Primo being an impactful player. He doesn’t even need to be an all star for him to be a successful pick.

Ariel
04-16-2022, 10:21 PM
Looking at the players picked after Primo, there's not too many whose stats or contribution stands out apart from these guys:

18) Tre Mann - 10ppg, 26 starts, 60 GP, beyond garbage OKC team, 6'3 PG not needed on Spurs roster
35) Herbert Jones - 9.5pts, 69 starts, great 6'8 PF defender, 4 years older, who could've seen him coming anyway

Based on that it's nothing to judge him harshly at this point. He's got just as much chance to succeed as any player picked after him.
Missed Sengun: 20.7 min 9.6 pts 5.5 reb 2.6 ast 0.9 blk 0.8 stl. Also could add Moody to the list. Both are 19 y.o.

Atl Spur
04-16-2022, 10:26 PM
Comedic gold!! Primo will be ok until he’s not.

offset formation
04-16-2022, 10:30 PM

lol, you forgot Sengun...the player a few of us were very high on, and who performed very well this year.

Note: Just saw Ariel beat me to it.

K...
04-16-2022, 10:33 PM
lol, you forgot Sengun...the player a few of us were very high on, and who performed very well this year.

Note: Just saw Ariel beat me to it.

Sengun isn't a guard, so no reason to care.

offset formation
04-16-2022, 10:39 PM

Huh? His list had another non-guard on there.

Also, Primo shouldn't be a guard either given his ball skills are trash.

Ariel
04-16-2022, 10:40 PM
That makes it WORSE, because we could use a frontcourt player much more so than a backcourt one...

SAGirl
04-16-2022, 11:09 PM
Overall he hasn’t shown much in actual games to be excited about. His best showing was in summer league where he looked confident and very promising. I think the adjustment to his shot mechanics is making him look worse than he is. However, should he not regain his shooting stroke he’ll have a similar or worse situation and trajectory than Markelle Fultz — where there’s no world in which he’s drafted number 1 overall if he can’t shoot at all.

I keep coming back to him honestly being too young and his shot too shaky at this point in development to say. Next season should give better indication of his trajectory.

He ended the season in a whimper. Unlike other rookies getting some playing time in the playoffs, he looked outmatched and looked like he shouldn’t have played at all.

Like others mentioned before me, we don’t have the multiverse chronomicron with appendices and indexes to see in which world he stayed in college and different variations of how that went. :p:

ducks
04-16-2022, 11:22 PM
If spurs drafted primo this year they still would rework his shot
So it actually was good they got hold of him last draft

KobesAchilles
04-16-2022, 11:27 PM
Can’t write him out if you never wrote him in to begin with. Even if Sengun busts on the shitty Rockets, that will forever be my pick. Sengun had a rough start to the season but once he adapted to NBA speed, he looked like a real player.

Primo is a bust but I like the plunge anyways. Might as well swing for an athletic big guard who can shoot the ball. We need to hire a dribbling coach tbh and not that bullshit dribbling coaches they have but one that teaches actual in game shit. Then I would have a lot more faith in Primo

baseline bum
04-16-2022, 11:44 PM

Vassel ain't that great a pick either so far.

Atl Spur
04-16-2022, 11:54 PM
Can’t write him out if you never wrote him in to begin with. Even if Sengun busts on the shitty Rockets, that will forever be my pick. Sengun had a rough start to the season but once he adapted to NBA speed, he looked like a real player.

Primo is a bust but I like the plunge anyways. Might as well swing for an athletic big guard who can shoot the ball. We need to hire a dribbling coach tbh and not that bullshit dribbling coaches they have but one that teaches actual in game shit. Then I would have a lot more faith in Primo

This may not age well kind sir….

offset formation
04-17-2022, 12:24 AM

Nor might your silver and black tinted glasses.

CGD
04-17-2022, 07:33 AM
Too early too tell. It’s always a fun exercise to do redrafts 4 years or so after the original one. That will be my measure.

On the redraft note, it’s pretty amazing what the spurs have been able to do with mid/late 20s picks. Each of White, Murray, and Keldon would probably go top 10 in there respective drafts

exstatic
04-17-2022, 08:26 AM
Missed Sengun: 20.7 min 9.6 pts 5.5 reb 2.6 ast 0.9 blk 0.8 stl. Also could add Moody to the list. Both are 19 y.o.

Sengun is 6’9” with a 7 foot wingspan, but people are bitching about possibly drafting an extreme vertical athlete who is 6’10” with a 7’5” wingspan.

Don’t ever change, ST. Keep crying about the dumpy Turkish dude.

Ariel
04-17-2022, 08:40 AM
Sengun is 6’9” with a 7 foot wingspan, but people are bitching about possibly drafting an extreme vertical athlete who is 6’10” with a 7’5” wingspan.

It's called context. I would take Sengun (or Duren) at 12 in 2021. I wouldn't take Duren (or Sengun) at 9 in 2022. Not so hard to understand.
Plus I don't think most doubts on Duren were centered on his size... at least mine are not. It's his skills (or lack thereof) that are concerning.

R. DeMurre
04-17-2022, 08:56 AM
It can be funny how certain moves are gauged in retrospect. The gambler who goes all in and scores on a hand with a 28% chance of winning is declared a genius, but the guy who goes all in and loses on a hand with a 36% chance is a reckless risk taker. I liked Trey Murphy lll a lot in that draft but wondered if he was too much of a reach at #12. Recent play by him seems to says no. But I liked Moses Moody too, and had him a hair ahead of Murphy, and he now looks closer to the Primo trajectory of development.

MannyIsGod
04-17-2022, 09:01 AM

No one can answer it because its an impossible question to answer. Who knows how he would have played in this hypothetical year in at Alabama. What if he torn his ACL in game 1? Then no, he's not going high. What if his coached hated him and he didn't get minutes? What if he averaged 20ppg? No one fucking knows because it didn't happen so how is anyone supposed to say yes or no?

Primo might be a shitty pick. We don't know, but nothing so far makes me think he's likely to be a subpar pick for the place he was picked in the draft. I'm pretty sure he'll be a rotational NBA player based on what we've seen, which is perfectly fine for the Spot he was picked.

SAGirl
04-17-2022, 09:02 AM
It can be funny how certain moves are gauged in retrospect. The gambler who goes all in and scores on a hand with a 28% chance of winning is declared a genius, but the guy who goes all in and loses on a hand with a 36% chance is a reckless risk taker. I liked Trey Murphy lll a lot in that draft but wondered if he was too much of a reach at #12. Recent play by him seems to says no. But I liked Moses Moody too, and had him a hair ahead of Murphy, and he now looks closer to the Primo trajectory of development.
Its funny you mention him because I liked him a lot as well, and thought either the Spurs or Grizzlies (another team I liked) would take him. I hated the Grizzlies Valanciunas trade for them to then draft Williams while giving Pelicans Valanciunas and Murphy. Williams looked bad early on but has shown enough to believe in his potential but Murphy already looks like a good player. I still like him a lot.

Its difficult to gauge Moody because he’s played only spot minutes in a good team and that’s characteristic of guys in his situation. He hasn’t looked that out of place but without a regular opportunity it’s tough to gauge.

MannyIsGod
04-17-2022, 09:17 AM

Agree with this 100%. People really don't understand how to properly gauge low probability success ratios because they generally don't understand low probability to begin with.

exstatic
04-17-2022, 09:18 AM
It's called context. I would take Sengun (or Duren) at 12 in 2021. I wouldn't take Duren (or Sengun) at 9 in 2022. Not so hard to understand.
Plus I don't think most doubts on Duren were centered on his size... at least mine are not. It's his skills (or lack thereof) that are concerning.

He’s
EIGHTEEN

KobesAchilles
04-17-2022, 09:33 AM
I’ve never been scared to give predictions, even the ones were wrong. That’s part of the fun. But the way I see it, a HUGE problem for basically all of our guards is they can’t dribble that well. It’s hard to become an all-star like that. It’s hard not to stay a role player when you can’t consistently get in the teeth of the defense or blow by a guy. Everybody is worried about Primo’s new shot or his play on the court, I am worried about his dribbling.

Steph Curry and Kyrie Irving have killed the NBA. They do all that globe trotter shit before the games and people actually practice that shit. It’s stupid. What you need to practice are 3 quick dribbles to the rim right hand, left hand, cross overs and spin moves. Also practice running and doing this into people and not midgets. If I have to see one more time players dribble 2 basketballs in circles underneath the legs I’m gonna lose it. You never use 2 basketballs in a game. Only practice what you use in a game

DPG21920
04-17-2022, 09:41 AM
My guess is Primo would be drafted somewhere 15-25 if he played well at Alabama this season.

But big picture, there’s no one drafted after Primo this season that I feel was obviously better and anything to get worked up about. There may be someone better as time goes on but I don’t have regrets on passing on anyone so far really. Just a meh quality draft class it seems from late lottery onward.

Vassell looks really solid overall imo but passing on Haliburton, Maxey, Anthony seem like it may end up regrettable but Vassell holding is own overall and no one gets every pick perfect (best player every time)

XDT76
04-17-2022, 10:14 AM

I agree, it seems that most if not all of our players are average at best in dribbling/handling

vy65
04-17-2022, 10:18 AM
No one can answer it because its an impossible question to answer. Who knows how he would have played in this hypothetical year in at Alabama. What if he torn his ACL in game 1? Then no, he's not going high. What if his coached hated him and he didn't get minutes? What if he averaged 20ppg? No one fucking knows because it didn't happen so how is anyone supposed to say yes or no?

Primo might be a shitty pick. We don't know, but nothing so far makes me think he's likely to be a subpar pick for the place he was picked in the draft. I'm pretty sure he'll be a rotational NBA player based on what we've seen, which is perfectly fine for the Spot he was picked.

I don’t think right now anyone can. That said, one of the many, if not the primary justifications for taking Primo was that he’d go much higher in 2022. If that logic is impossible, it cuts both ways as a criticism and a defense.

At the end of the day, he’ll be worth it or not.

Atl Spur
04-17-2022, 10:55 AM
It’s really a moot pointe being primo has been such a small sample size; his role has changed on the spurs vs what he was asked to do in college ( mind you against the best of the best ). Cut the BS and let this young man grow…..

couchman
04-17-2022, 11:13 AM
The thing w Primo is that we took the thing he did best (shoot), and we are having him rework that. He is being pushed to expand his skills and he has looked rough doing so. We could have easily just asked him to 3 & D and not change his shot he’d have looked much better. But that is not the Spurs plan. We swung for the fences w the pick and now we’re swinging for the fences with his development. It will likely be another year or so before we know what the trajectory really looks like. What I hope to see in the off-season and next year is his shooting returns, his defense continues to look strong, and fewer turnovers.

GAustex
04-17-2022, 11:17 AM
Lotto Pick has been a disappointment no matter what fortune teller says

K...
04-17-2022, 04:12 PM
The thing w Primo is that we took the thing he did best (shoot), and we are having him rework that. He is being pushed to expand his skills and he has looked rough doing so. We could have easily just asked him to 3 & D and not change his shot he’d have looked much better. But that is not the Spurs plan. We swung for the fences w the pick and now we’re swinging for the fences with his development. It will likely be another year or so before we know what the trajectory really looks like. What I hope to see in the off-season and next year is his shooting returns, his defense continues to look strong, and fewer turnovers.

people were so mad that primo didn't take forbes minutes as if we drafted a lottrery guy to move an undrafted gunner. lmao/

exstatic
04-17-2022, 04:16 PM
people were so mad that primo didn't take forbes minutes as if we drafted a lottrery guy to move an undrafted gunner. lmao/

As we now know, Forbes was being showcased for the two picks that eventually cascaded from his signing.

The Truth #6
04-17-2022, 07:49 PM
It’s really a moot pointe being primo has been such a small sample size; his role has changed on the spurs vs what he was asked to do in college ( mind you against the best of the best ). Cut the BS and let this young man grow…..

Interesting. How do you see the differences in roles? To me, it seems fairly similar.

buttsR4rebounding
04-18-2022, 03:36 AM

You can’t seriously be implying that Duren’s skill set is in the same conversation as Sengun’s.

ragas
04-18-2022, 04:20 AM
Only practice what you use in a game

l never saw a guy lifting weights in a game.

exstatic
04-18-2022, 06:12 AM
You can’t seriously be implying that Duren’s skill set is in the same conversation as Sengun’s.

It isn’t now, but it could approach it later. He’s probably better on D right now.

Sengün will not make any appreciable improvement in athleticism, nor will his arms grow a collective five inches.

KobesAchilles
04-18-2022, 09:26 AM
l never saw a guy lifting weights in a game.
I didn’t know that lifting weights was basketball practice. I guess I practice basketball every time I lift weights. To me, basketball practice consists of doing basketball drills, shoot around, studying tape etc. but even if you say lifting weights is a part of it then yes they use their muscles in basketball. I have never seen a guy dribble 2 basketballs at the same time during an actual game. I have seen a guy use their muscles.

ragas
04-18-2022, 11:41 AM
I didn’t know that lifting weights was basketball practice. I guess I practice basketball every time I lift weights. To me, basketball practice consists of doing basketball drills, shoot around, studying tape etc. but even if you say lifting weights is a part of it then yes they use their muscles in basketball. I have never seen a guy dribble 2 basketballs at the same time during an actual game. I have seen a guy use their muscles.

Drills with two balls doesn‘t only improve your ballhandling skills, but primarily your coordination - which you use in a game. Fact is: You can practice a lot of things that don‘t have anything to do with basketball at first sight, but make you a better player. The same goes for every other sport.

KobesAchilles
04-18-2022, 01:21 PM
Drills with two balls doesn‘t only improve your ballhandling skills, but primarily your coordination - which you use in a game. Fact is: You can practice a lot of things that don‘t have anything to do with basketball at first sight, but make you a better player. The same goes for every other sport.
But it doesn't improve your ball handling skills at all. You don't dribble with two basketballs. Ever. You can't do a spin move with 2 basketballs. You can't do a cross over. you can't do an in and out dribble. You can't do behind the back. You can't even run with the ball while dribbling with two hands. Literally every move you do in basketball is used with one hand. And your coordination isn't improved in a meaningful way either by dribbling 2 basketballs. It's globetrotter shit. It looks cool, and it's difficult to do. But it doesn't help you at all. Practice your actual moves in a game. Don't practice dribbling two basketballs.

Atl Spur
04-18-2022, 01:32 PM
But it doesn't improve your ball handling skills at all. You don't dribble with two basketballs. Ever. You can't do a spin move with 2 basketballs. You can't do a cross over. you can't do an in and out dribble. You can't do behind the back. You can't even run with the ball while dribbling with two hands. Literally every move you do in basketball is used with one hand. And your coordination isn't improved in a meaningful way either by dribbling 2 basketballs. It's globetrotter shit. It looks cool, and it's difficult to do. But it doesn't help you at all. Practice your actual moves in a game. Don't practice dribbling two basketballs.

You joking right? Playing a little devils advocate?

KobesAchilles
04-18-2022, 02:53 PM
You joking right? Playing a little devils advocate?
No I'm dead serious. In theory, it helps you learn how to dribble with both hands in half the time. But it doesn't work that way. The only way to learn how to drive left handed is to actually drive left handed. the oonly way to do a spin move left handed is to do it left handed. the only way to practice getting to your spot is with one basketball. This shit has ruined many high school level kids where they can do all these cool drills but can't get into the paint worth shit.

Learn your spots. Learn how to get to your spots. Work on your one on one moves. Work on being pressured. Leave that 2 basketball shit to the actual good dribblers like Steph or Kyrie. But when you suck at dribbling, that shouldn't be what you practice. Like imagine Danny Green practicing 2 basketball drills when the dude can't even do a cross over or a spin move. KJ needs to work on his cross over and he needs to work on a spin move, his body is perfect for it. DJ needed to work on being pressured. Vassell just needs to work on getting to his spots and that's it.

Sugus
04-18-2022, 06:09 PM
No I'm dead serious. In theory, it helps you learn how to dribble with both hands in half the time. But it doesn't work that way. The only way to learn how to drive left handed is to actually drive left handed. the oonly way to do a spin move left handed is to do it left handed. the only way to practice getting to your spot is with one basketball. This shit has ruined many high school level kids where they can do all these cool drills but can't get into the paint worth shit.

Learn your spots. Learn how to get to your spots. Work on your one on one moves. Work on being pressured. Leave that 2 basketball shit to the actual good dribblers like Steph or Kyrie. But when you suck at dribbling, that shouldn't be what you practice. Like imagine Danny Green practicing 2 basketball drills when the dude can't even do a cross over or a spin move. KJ needs to work on his cross over and he needs to work on a spin move, his body is perfect for it. DJ needed to work on being pressured. Vassell just needs to work on getting to his spots and that's it.

:lmao I was really hoping you weren't serious throughout this exchange. This can only be an opinion from you, because it's so far off from anything coaches at every level of the game continuously preach (and reap the benefits of), and modern sports medicine agrees. Where the hell did you get this idea that you can only get better at basketball by doing strictly "things you could do in a game" from? :lol

I'll start with a big-picture example: there's been a lot of recent studies on young players and how they develop much, much better fundamentals in Europe than in the AAU system. You know why that is? In Europe, young kids don't only play basketball 24/7 to a grind; they also play other team sports like football (ehm, soccer) or even water polo (notoriously helpful for Jokic), and also individual sports like swimming (notoriously helpful for our good ol' Timmy). Playing different sports not only stimulates the brain to adapt to different situations, it also works out muscles that hyper-focusing on basketball leaves behind, atrophying them (and also reduces the impact on joints, especially knees, that literally every single AAU kid comes out of college with; there was a funny interview a while ago where a doctor said an AAU kid's knees were similar to an old man's in terms of wear). Multiple NBA players have spoken on this if you care to do the research, starting with Embiid.

On a smaller-picture, drill-focused level, there's a lot of use to two-balls-dribbling: it's not about "learn how to dribble with both hands in half the time" (:lmao). It's about learning to not think of what you're actively doing with your hands, and keep your focus elsewhere, which is immensely useful for basketball (matter-of-fact, kids running this drill are told to keep their eyes off the balls, and face up). It strengthens both hands for dribbling, obviously, too, and is useful for dissociating what your hands are doing from what the rest of your body is doing (a skill that soccer is great for learning, and players like Nash have spoken on this, too). Lastly, in the particular drill where you run a tennis ball alongside a basketball, it's an exercise in balance, strength output adjustment (since you need different strength levels for a constant dribble of both balls), and even more about not thinking of what you're immediately doing. It's a great, and fundamental, drill.

That was a lot of words for something I thought basic knowledge, damn. Enough talking about balls for now :lol

Mr. Body
04-20-2022, 12:27 PM
People get hyper focused on youth in the draft, meaning there is more time to develop young skills.

Josh Primo is still younger than eleven of the top twenty prospects in this year's draft.

rjv
04-20-2022, 12:44 PM
Nobody knows. Him playing in college another year could have bumped him with more spotlight.
Or he doesn't show a hell of a lot and our team messed up.

But nobody here can speak definitively upon the subject because there are too many variables.

:bobo

KingKev
04-20-2022, 02:20 PM
People get hyper focused on youth in the draft, meaning there is more time to develop young skills.

Josh Primo is still younger than eleven of the top twenty prospects in this year's draft.

NBA GM’s and scouts are lowkey Pedos. 6-9 months of relative youth, yet close to no advantage anywhere else and most get wet.

BatManu20
04-20-2022, 02:46 PM
The real question here is that there are a lot of solid 2-Guard prospects in this draft, but are we going to pass on one if they fall into our laps cause he just drafted Primo? What if he doesn’t pan out and we pass on a guy who does? Lonnie potentially re-signing also effects this. A lot of variables here.

Robz4000
04-20-2022, 02:58 PM
The real question here is that there are a lot of solid 2-Guard prospects in this draft, but are we going to pass on one if they fall into our laps cause he just drafted Primo? What if he doesn’t pan out and we pass on a guy who does? Lonnie potentially re-signing also effects this. A lot of variables here.

If they're undersized and can't shoot, don't worry; not a chance the Spurs pass on them.

offset formation
04-20-2022, 05:28 PM

Dumpy Turkish dude? Yet we're supposed to not pass judgement on Primo? Haha.

First off, that Dumpy Turkish dude had a much better season than Primo. In fact, rounding up, in 21mpg, he posted 10ppg, 6rpg, and 3apg. Josh was 6/2/2 in 19mpg for comparison, with a worse turnover percentage. In fact, basedon PER, only 2 players were worse than Primo all season. Whereas Sengun scores 68% of the time in isolation which puts him in the 91st percentile in the league. Wait until that team actually runs consistent offensive sets with PnP and PnR. His game will flourish.

Also, that Dumpy Turkish dude was drafted at 16 (probably should have been 12th). And you're talking about picking someone in Duren at maybe 9 or higher. And while I agree that he might be the best pick at that spot depending whose left on the board, dont act like he's the next Gobert. He plays under the rim offensively which should be alarming. For someone with such size and reach, and quick ups, he should not be putting the ball of the glass on 80% of his points in the paint. I dont think I see the throw it up and oop threat you do.

In summary, your post is chock full of homerism and lacks nuance (dumpy Turkish dude is likely heading toward a better career than Primo -- oh and he's only like 3.5 months older than Primo, btw, so forget the old Primo is the youngest player in the league junk).

KingKev
04-20-2022, 05:34 PM

First off, that Dumpy Turkish dude had a much better season than Primo. In fact, rounding up, in 21mpg, he posted 10ppg, 6rpg, and 3apg. Josh was 6/2/2 in 19mpg for comparison, with a worse turnover percentage. In fact, basedon PER, only 2 players were worse than Primo all season. Whereas Sengun scores 68% of the time in isolation which puts him in the 91st percentile in the league. Wait until that team actually runs consistent offensive sets with PnP and PnR. His game will flourish.

Also, that Dumpy Turkish dude was drafted at 16 (probably should have been 12th). And you're talking about picking someone in Duren at maybe 9 or higher. And while I agree that he might be the best pick at that spot depending whose left on the board, dont act like he's the next Gobert. He plays under the rim offensively which should be alarming. For someone with such size and reach, and quick ups, he should not be putting the ball of the glass on 80% of his points in the paint. I dont think I see the throw it up and oop threat you do.

In summary, your post is chock full of homerism and lacks nuance (dumpy Turkish dude is likely heading toward a better career than Primo -- oh and he's only like 3.5 months older than Primo, btw, so forget the old Primo is the youngest player in the league junk).

But Primo just turned 19!!!!

offset formation
04-20-2022, 05:41 PM
But Primo just turned 19!!!!

Exactly. It's akin to Brawndo and it having electrolytes at this point. We live in an idiocracy.

vy65
04-20-2022, 05:49 PM

how dare you confuse the issue with facts

rastaspur
04-20-2022, 07:29 PM

Who could have seen herb Jones coming? Me. Posted several times and months before the draft we should trade down in 2nd round and pick him.

The day before the draft I posted we should trade #12 for a later 1st and end of first round early second to pick herb Jones and primo. Still stand by that.

KingKev
04-20-2022, 08:10 PM
Who could have seen herb Jones coming? Me. Posted several times and months before the draft we should trade down in 2nd round and pick him.

The day before the draft I posted we should trade #12 for a later 1st and end of first round early second to pick herb Jones and primo. Still stand by that.

Atleast we got Primo. He would be top 5 in this draft and is 19 and 4
months which actually rounds down to 19!

offset formation
04-20-2022, 11:02 PM

Brawndo...it's got electrolytes.

Atl Spur
04-20-2022, 11:16 PM
Smile�� A lot of players were better than Primo this year but he’s a two to three year product I’m hoping. He’ll be ok I’m thinking.

offset formation
04-20-2022, 11:24 PM
Smile�� A lot of players were better than Primo this year but he’s a two to three year product I’m hoping. He’ll be ok I’m thinking.

Thats a shit ton of thinking. I think you mean **hoping**

ZeusWillJudge
04-20-2022, 11:39 PM

Nobody knows how good he is now, much less how good he would have been if he had spent another year in college. But the NCAA now lets guys declare for the draft, dip their toe into the water to gauge interest, and then back out. If there wasn't reason to believe that he would get drafted, he's got the worst agent ever. Ever.

I've heard that at least one other team was interested. So probably others would have been before they got down to 30.

ZeusWillJudge
04-20-2022, 11:41 PM

Make a call like that, and you deserve to come back and say I told you so.

I'm pretty sure I don't remember anybody saying that the Spurs should take that Primo kid. Maybe Jones was just too obvious for PATFO. :lol

rastaspur
04-20-2022, 11:46 PM

I'm pretty sure I don't remember anybody saying that the Spurs should take that Primo kid. Maybe Jones was just too obvious for PATFO. :lol

I said it in timvps big draft board thread the day before or day of the draft. Trade #12 for two later firsts and get primo.

Mentioned trading down in second to get herb months before. Hyped herb up for a while and I think dejounte agreed he'd be worth getting at end of 1st. He had been hyping Wagner and I chimed in with a bargain bin second rounder sleeper pick

offset formation
04-21-2022, 12:11 AM
and I think dejounte agreed he'd be worth getting at end of 1st. He had been hyping Wagner

We know. You're giving us all unwanted flashbacks.

T Park
04-21-2022, 12:14 AM

Primo wouldn’t have been there. That’s only been proven a trillion times, but yeah stand by he would’ve been there.

Herb Jones I was 100% in on after the tournament. In the right system he’s Boris diaw with all team defense.

JPB
04-21-2022, 12:21 AM
Primo wouldn’t have been there. That’s only been proven a trillion times, but yeah stand by he would’ve been there.

Herb Jones I was 100% in on after the tournament. In the right system he’s Boris diaw with all team defense.

Bobo was a great defender if willing.

Atl Spur
04-21-2022, 12:28 AM

Nah, maybe Primo was obvious to them and not most of spurstalk untrained eyes. Let’s be fair and give the kid at least a few years to develop. I wonder how good herb jones was at 18/19 let alone being thrown in the NBA.

JPB
04-21-2022, 12:41 AM

Man, did you ever play ball, or any sport cos you have visibly no idea what you're talking about. Of couse it does improve your ball handling and coordination... Just try. There's a reason why that's a basic exercise for all ballers from the younger teams to the pros, not just for "globetrotter shit"... It makes you feel only one hand easier and more natural while overall making you feel more in control.

Any athlet in any sport practice moves he won't execute during games or races... Soocer players often make exercises using only their hands. it's about bringring your body and intuiton in different territories to helps apprehending natural moves you'll use in competition better, just like vivting other countries can help you beter understand and apprehend your homeland, even though you won't adopt tose other countries way of life, and basically make you a better man.

rastaspur
04-21-2022, 11:08 AM

I stand by the strategy. Trade #12 for two picks. That's what I was referring to. If he wouldn't have been there then pick another.

KingKev
04-21-2022, 12:08 PM

and atleast 11 of those top 20 are undisputedly better with a similar or higher upside.

KobesAchilles
04-21-2022, 12:19 PM
Man, did you ever play ball, or any sport cos you have visibly no idea what you're talking about. Of couse it does improve your ball handling and coordination... Just try. There's a reason why that's a basic exercise for all ballers from the younger teams to the pros, not just for "globetrotter shit"... It makes you feel only one hand easier and more natural while overall making you feel more in control.

Any athlet in any sport practice moves he won't execute during games or races... Soocer players often make exercises using only their hands. it's about bringring your body and intuiton in different territories to helps apprehending natural moves you'll use in competition better, just like vivting other countries can help you beter understand and apprehend your homeland, even though you won't adopt tose other countries way of life, and basically make you a better man.
No shit. But you don't go straight to it. You start off with stuff you actually do in games. Like in dribbling, if you can't run full speed and dribble, do you practice by dribbling two basketballs at once? No you don't. If you can't run and dribble with your offhand do you practice with two basketballs? If you can't do a cross over left, do you practice with two basketballs? If you can't do a spin move do you practice with two basketballs? If you can't run a pic n roll left handed, do you practice with two basketballs?

No you don't. Once you master the basics, then you start doing the actual two basketball dribbling. That's my point. It's fine for Kyrie Irving to improve his dribbling bc he has mastered the basics. Nobody on our team has mastered the basics of dribbling from what I can see with DJ being the closest.

R. DeMurre
04-21-2022, 12:55 PM
I stand by the strategy. Trade #12 for two picks. That's what I was referring to. If he wouldn't have been there then pick another.

I missed Herb Jones in the draft, but was a big fan of Trey Murphy lll. With your strategy, the Spurs get them both, as the Pelicans did. It's interesting because they clearly must have scouted Alabama games... I wonder how high they were on Primo?

SAGirl
04-21-2022, 01:10 PM
Primo has a lot of development to do. If after years of development poured in he’s only a 3/D that’s a failure because 2 better than him were ready to be picked out of the gate in Murphy3 and Herb Jones even if you only got one, it’s still better than a few years of development for Primo to turn out no better.

I think Spurs saw potential beyond just 3/D to justify that selection. They gambled on the upside his open growth plates and youth still offered at the time. He has a lot of work to do in the off-season to be solid on offense to begin with, forget the passing and ball handling they saw. He needs to get his shooting back to begin with.

Mr. Body
04-21-2022, 01:31 PM
and atleast 11 of those top 20 are undisputedly better with a similar or higher upside.

Lol. Okay.

Atl Spur
04-21-2022, 01:43 PM
I can’t wait for that Crowe to come out the oven!!! #bone-appetite

GAustex
04-21-2022, 01:46 PM
Right now u all hat no herd

The Truth #6
04-21-2022, 03:04 PM

What proof are you referring to?

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-21-2022, 03:14 PM
At the time of the draft I wondered why the Spurs didn't trade down and try to still get Primo while getting another asset in the process. Folks have since said that they took him at 12 because other teams wanted him, too, and he'd of been off the board soon. Not sure whether or not I buy that, but nonetheless it's apparent he was coveted by the FO.

I think the jury is still out on Primo and will be through next season at least. We probably won't really start to see what he's capable of until year 3 or 4. Hopefully in year three folks around the league are saying the Spurs pulled another rabbit out of the hat when they drafted Primo.

offset formation
04-21-2022, 03:46 PM
At the time of the draft I wondered why the Spurs didn't trade down and try to still get Primo while getting another asset in the process. Folks have since said that they took him at 12 because other teams wanted him, too, and he'd of been off the board soon. Not sure whether or not I buy that, but nonetheless it's apparent he was coveted by the FO.

I think the jury is still out on Primo and will be through next season at least. We probably won't really start to see what he's capable of until year 3 or 4. Hopefully in year three folks around the league are saying the Spurs pulled another rabbit out of the hat when they drafted Primo.

He better spend an inordinate amount of time on his handles then because he's obviously not going to have the quick speed or change of direction to beat people to the hole with any consistency, which translates to him at least being more of an outside threat, predominantly. It's unlikely, but possible he could develop some crazy dribbling skills, that enable him to work his way past the initial defender for more consistent floaters and such, but that's his ceiling, imo

KingKev
04-21-2022, 06:01 PM
I can’t wait for that Crowe to come out the oven!!! #bone-appetite

Have you been to Santa Monica? I think we met on the Pier. #Zoltar

Atl Spur
04-21-2022, 09:37 PM
Have you been to Santa Monica? I think we met on the Pier. #Zoltar

I just try to exercise common sense…. You boys reside in lala land! Primo will be fine✊��

Atl Spur
04-21-2022, 09:39 PM
He better spend an inordinate amount of time on his handles then because he's obviously not going to have the quick speed or change of direction to beat people to the hole with any consistency, which translates to him at least being more of an outside threat, predominantly. It's unlikely, but possible he could develop some crazy dribbling skills, that enable him to work his way past the initial defender for more consistent floaters and such, but that's his ceiling, imo

He is plenty athletic enough. He’ll develop his staple moves…..

james evans
04-26-2022, 08:38 AM
I wanted Dayron Sharpe. He's a stretch 5 with post presence. I stated this before the draft. He's not playing in Brooklyn now cuz he's on the bench, but he's shown what he can do with minutes.