PDA

View Full Version : Article: Spurs to Pick 20th and 25th Following Tiebreakers

timvp
04-18-2022, 04:43 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/tiebreakers-spurs-picks-20-25-2022-nba-draft/

Man, that Celtics pick going from 18th to 25th hurts, tbh. At least the Spurs avoided a bad scenario with the Raptors pick where they trade #33 for nothing.

Ariel
04-18-2022, 04:56 PM
We were in line to get the 23rd pick right until the last game, but then Memphis & Milwaukee played their G-league squads and granted the Cs the win and, because of the Bucks losing, it ended up in the triple tie we lost today. And the Nuggets did their part too, it's just that fortune didn't feel like messing with us on that one.

CGD
04-18-2022, 05:09 PM
At least they got 20. They’re all a crap shoot in that range anyway, but does hurt a little with 2-for-1 pick packaging potential.

What’s the highest 20+25 buys, 15?

rascal
04-18-2022, 05:49 PM
At least they got 20. They’re all a crap shoot in that range anyway, but does hurt a little with 2-for-1 pick packaging potential.

What’s the highest 20+25 buys, 15?

Why would Charlotte want two late picks giving them three when they have 13 and 15. They would most likely want a player with the late pick swap.

rascal
04-18-2022, 05:56 PM
Will the May 17th Lottery be televised?

BatManu20
04-18-2022, 06:03 PM
I’m convinced Spurs can get a good player at 20 of they keep the pick and draft the right guy. There’s some solid prospects and even a couple projects in the top 20-23 players. The draft falls off after that imo. Just hope it’s not some random surprise euro fuck we’ve never heard of.

duncan2150
04-18-2022, 06:13 PM
Will the May 17th Lottery be televised?

yes on NBA TV normally

daslicer
04-18-2022, 06:17 PM
All 3 picks are going to be crapshoots. Having 3 gives the Spurs 3 chances to roll the dice on getting a possible prospect.

Russ
04-18-2022, 06:25 PM
They got the highest draft pick they could get (#20).

That rest seems less important.

Dejounte
04-18-2022, 06:28 PM
This is going to be an exciting offseason no matter what takes place. For the first time in a while, the Spurs have some sort of foundation. How they go about building on top of that (and not around, obviously, since we only have one key player so far unless a couple more develop) is going to be interesting.

ZeusWillJudge
04-18-2022, 06:42 PM
I didn't like the way the Spurs managed the end of this season (just like I haven't liked a LOT of their late-game management over the last few seasons). BUT... if they were going to manage this way, they got pretty lucky on how it all came out. The C's pick was the least valuable, and the most likely for them to trade away. Getting solo 9th and 20th with the Rap's pick is a LOT better than it could have been.

There are some guys that I really liked that will probably be gone in the mid-teens. Can't be helped. At this point, I just hope they don't trade away a pick (or two) that wind up conveying later in the second round. This offseason will be a real test for how legit the FO is at this point.

Maddog
04-18-2022, 07:31 PM
All 3 picks are going to be crapshoots. Having 3 gives the Spurs 3 chances to roll the dice on getting a possible prospect.

Exactly

GAustex
04-18-2022, 07:57 PM
Good article

The Truth #6
04-18-2022, 08:25 PM
Damn, it’s like Timvp just did a line of coke and is knocking out articles every five minutes. Awesome!

CGD
04-18-2022, 08:33 PM
Why would Charlotte want two late picks giving them three when they have 13 and 15. They would most likely want a player with the late pick swap.

Im not talking about the team per se, more how many slots would those combined picks actually get you? Unlikely to land you in 10-12 range, but what about 13-15 range? And then if it’s not those, is it even worth it tryin to package them?

Atl Spur
04-18-2022, 08:36 PM
I’m convinced Spurs can get a good player at 20 of they keep the pick and draft the right guy. There’s some solid prospects and even a couple projects in the top 20-23 players. The draft falls off after that imo. Just hope it’s not some random surprise euro fuck we’ve never heard of.

Like Toney or Manu? If we can make 29 pop, why you’ll worrying about 20 & 25? Let the draft come to us……..

Ocotillo
04-18-2022, 09:15 PM
Spurs pick better in the mid-twenties than they do in the lottery anyway.

GAustex
04-18-2022, 09:16 PM
Current Lotto Pick was a disappointment
Hopefully this years Lotto pick is capable of making more that a eh to negative impact

exstatic
04-18-2022, 10:07 PM
I didn't like the way the Spurs managed the end of this season (just like I haven't liked a LOT of their late-game management over the last few seasons). BUT... if they were going to manage this way, they got pretty lucky on how it all came out. The C's pick was the least valuable, and the most likely for them to trade away. Getting solo 9th and 20th with the Rap's pick is a LOT better than it could have been.

There are some guys that I really liked that will probably be gone in the mid-teens. Can't be helped. At this point, I just hope they don't trade away a pick (or two) that wind up conveying later in the second round. This offseason will be a real test for how legit the FO is at this point.

If you do trade a FRP, you fight for at least 3 years of convey options, and the lightest protections you can get. A good example is the 2025 CHI FRP. It’s protected 1-10,1-8,1-8. That’s not bad.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-18-2022, 10:52 PM
So, last year Rockets traded PJ Tucker and pick 31 for pick 24, while also taking an additional year of salary for DJ Augustin ( as well as postponing the already owned 2022 first to 2023 ).

Wheeler dealer Brian Wright got more for the corpse of Thad Young than Rockets did for a better player essentially :toast

KingKev
04-18-2022, 11:05 PM
Fake article. Doesn’t count towards 200 tbh

timvp
04-18-2022, 11:27 PM
Fake article. Doesn’t count towards 200 tbh

:depressed

KingKev
04-19-2022, 07:27 AM
Damn, it’s like Timvp just did a line of coke and is knocking out articles every five minutes. Awesome!

Quality ones too…. articles not the lines but TIMVP back in the building!

Dex
04-19-2022, 07:53 AM
I didn't realize that 38th pick was coming via the Lakers.

Imagine being a lottery team and getting zero picks out of it. :lmao

barakz21
04-19-2022, 08:51 AM
Gotta admit, this draft will be exciting. So many moves the spurs could make. Additionally, since we kinda know now what the team has and the capabilities of the young guys, it’ll be a bit more clearer what pieces we need. As far as contracts, I feel like DJ would take as much as he can while still leaving some money on the table. He’s always been loyal to the spurs and seeing his progress, and how he’s surpassed his own obstacles, he strikes me as a guy who’d want to see the fruits of the rebuild that he’s been a part of.

Atl Spur
04-19-2022, 08:54 AM
Might trade DJ

DPG21920
04-19-2022, 10:31 AM
Might trade DJ

I’ve thought about this and I have reached the conclusion it really seems UNLIKELY that SA trades Murray. They obviously arent tanking as evidenced by this year, so trading Murray for a pick means a step back which they dont seem to want to do. They have tons of picks and cap space so they are much closer to being a young playoff team than they are needing to blow it up.

I just find it hard to imagine a scenario where trading Dejounte nets you something worth trading the face of your franchise. Sure, if someone offers you the number one pick I think they may do it, but that seems really unlikely.

ZeusWillJudge
04-19-2022, 10:47 AM
If you do trade a FRP, you fight for at least 3 years of convey options, and the lightest protections you can get. A good example is the 2025 CHI FRP. It’s protected 1-10,1-8,1-8. That’s not bad.

Yeah, that Chicago pick is just about the most heavily protected that I think should ever be considered. But even that one, I think, is too far in the future. And it's also complicated by Stepien, and potentiall much further into the future than I would like. I really hope that these protected picks will begin to lose some of their luster.

Look at the FRP that Chicago starts to owe to Orlando next year. It's protected 1-4, which looks pretty good. But even if Chicago winds up 7 in the lottery line, that gives them a pretty good chance of moving up and keeping that pick. Still, I would much rather have the deal Orlando has than the one the Spurs have.

All I'm saying is that trading a late FRP for a future pick that will be mid-teens at best, and might not even convey is questionable - especially if the Spurs are really the GOAT at drafting. And if someone says that there just aren't any gems late in this draft for them to find? Well, there isn't any more reason for there to be one in 2025. Or 2026.

baseline bum
04-19-2022, 10:51 AM
Might trade DJ

Meh I'm not trading an allstar for a pick unless there was a Doncic on the board who everyone knew would be amazing at the time.

Ice009
04-19-2022, 12:21 PM
Meh I'm not trading an allstar for a pick unless there was a Doncic on the board who everyone knew would be amazing at the time.

I don't like Doncic at all, but maybe that's because he's playing for the Mavs. However, before that draft, I really wanted him. I thought he'd be a Manu like player after 5 or 6 years in the league, but he's already way better than I thought he'd be. I know Kawhi didn't want to go to the Lakers, but I wonder if the Kings would have given up that second pick and if Kawhi could have been convinced to go there as it was close to home for him. I also wonder if Phoenix would have taken him for the number 1 pick. That could have worked out great for Kawhi if he got to work with those mystical Phoenix trainers. Could have tried trading both Aldridge and Kawhi there.

Dex
04-19-2022, 12:59 PM
I don't like Doncic at all, but maybe that's because he's playing for the Mavs. However, before that draft, I really wanted him. I thought he'd be a Manu like player after 5 or 6 years in the league, but he's already way better than I thought he'd be. I know Kawhi didn't want to go to the Lakers, but I wonder if the Kings would have given up that second pick and if Kawhi could have been convinced to go there as it was close to home for him. I also wonder if Phoenix would have taken him for the number 1 pick. That could have worked out great for Kawhi if he got to work with those mystical Phoenix trainers. Could have tried trading both Aldridge and Kawhi there.

:lol Nobody CHOOSES to go to Sacramento.

It was always LA or bust for Kawhi, just a matter of which one.

baseline bum
04-19-2022, 02:43 PM

I so badly wanted to trade mute for that #2 pick for Doncic. That guy is going to be a 3x MVP or better if he doesn't get hurt. A teenager killing in Euroleague was so much more impressive than dominating the NCAA would have been. Damn if that faggot would have been willing to go to Sacramento.

baseline bum
04-19-2022, 02:44 PM
:lol Nobody CHOOSES to go to Sacramento.

It was always LA or bust for Kawhi, just a matter of which one.

I bet he would have OKed GSW too. I think I was the only one here who wanted Klay and a first for mute.