PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio Spurs Big Board 1.0 for the 2022 NBA Draft

timvp
04-18-2022, 11:30 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/big-board-1-san-antonio-spurs-2022-nba-draft-outlook/

It may change but at this point, who the Spurs will look at with their lottery pick is relatively clear. Typically, at this point of the process, there are usually like 30-40 names in the mix :lol

ICYMI: Spurs Draft Priorities (https://www.spurstalk.com/san-antonio-spurs-2022-nba-draft-primer-tiebreakers-priorities/)

DPG21920
04-18-2022, 11:37 PM
Duren higher than I anticipated tbh :lol

timvp
04-18-2022, 11:41 PM
Duren higher than I anticipated tbh :lol

Yeah I really, really don't like rim-running centers in the lottery but I need to take a close look at Duren. He miiiiight be worth it at 9 :reading

Robz4000
04-18-2022, 11:44 PM
Holgrem is gonna bust hard tbh. Also not high on Duren like a lot here are. Think Duren will at least be an NBA-caliber bench player with the ability to start while Holgrem might be out of the league in 4-5 years.

DPG21920
04-18-2022, 11:45 PM
Also Daniels and Sharpe over Murray is pretty interesting….the former seem like a bit of a reach at pick 9 based on most mocks..not that it matters as evidenced by the Primo pick

DPG21920
04-18-2022, 11:46 PM
Yeah I really, really don't like rim-running centers in the lottery but I need to take a close look at Duren. He miiiiight be worth it at 9 :reading

This is why I like my idea of using Jak and pick 25 to get into lottery with CHA at pick 13. Having 9 and 13 allows SA to take Duren and still get a swing at Sochan, Sharpe, Daniels, Murray

Robz4000
04-18-2022, 11:47 PM
Also, if the Spurs have any confidence they can fix Sochan's shot he'd be a great selection assuming they stay at 9; dude could be special.

Ariel
04-18-2022, 11:48 PM
If picking 1-4: Banchero, Ivey, Jabari Smith. If picking 4 and only Chet is left, trade down
If picking 9-13: Sochan, Eason, Daniels, Mathurin, Johnny Davis, Keegan Murray. Might take Duren if picking 13 and all gone. No to AJ Griffin.
Pick 20: whomever falls + Jovic, Dieng, Mark Williams (much more than rim running center)
Pick 25: whomever falls + Baldwin Jr, Wesley, Hardy, Kendall Brown, Lidell
Pick 38: whomever falls + Montero, Kamagate (draft & stash), Koloko, JD Davison or Max Christie

DPG21920
04-18-2022, 11:48 PM
Also, if the Spurs have any confidence they can fix Sochan's shot he'd be a great selection assuming they stay at 9; dude could be special.

Not just the hair, but he reminds me of a more focused Oubre

Ariel
04-18-2022, 11:52 PM
He's got some Draymond in him for sure. Plus his shot does not look horrible. Needs to go from 30% to 35% on 3pt and from 60% to 70% on ft%. If so he becomes a starter for 10+ years.

Robz4000
04-18-2022, 11:53 PM

:lol if his personality is anything like Kelly Oubre Jr then it should be a hard pass tbh...

Uriel
04-18-2022, 11:55 PM
FWIW, I’ve seen Banchero play in person and was very impressed. He’s so offensively polished and is exactly what the Spurs need. 6”10 PF but plays like almost like a guard on the perimeter. Can shoot from distance, handle the ball, dribble, drive, finish inside with ferocity… he’s really the epitome of a modern-day PF.

Robz4000
04-18-2022, 11:56 PM
If TyTy is still available at 25, the Spurs should grab him and run tbh. He's worth the gamble; could easily see him having a rise similar to Keldon.

objective
04-18-2022, 11:57 PM
Has a lot that's close to what I've been posting, clearly great minds think alike, right down to having Mathurin so high and declaring him to be what the hopes for Lonnie were.

I'm on the Mathurin-Duren hype train. Sochan is interesting, Daniels is promising. But give me all the swag. The greater the swag the bigger the target for swagger jacking when Pop goes big game swag hunting, but it's worth the risk.

Ariel
04-19-2022, 12:04 AM
Also, I disagree that this is an OK-ish draft. I think that, for the places the Spurs are projected to pick, this draft is pretty good. Clearly better than last year outside the top 8. I think there will be a lot of value to be had between 10 and 15... which is why I'm hoping for a trade up from the 20ish picks.

PhantomDashCam
04-19-2022, 12:27 AM
Wow, a lot of people are down on Chet. I'd still take him #1, then Banchero, Ivey and Smith.
I can understand their are legitimate questions about him being an elite Offensive option but still...

Robz4000
04-19-2022, 12:38 AM
Wow, a lot of people are down on Chet. I'd still take him #1, then Banchero, Ivey and Smith.
I can understand their are legitimate questions about him being an elite Offensive option but still...

:lol there's no way he can survive physically at the NBA level. Hell, he struggled in the tournament against collegiate-level athletes.

PhantomDashCam
04-19-2022, 12:52 AM
:lol there's no way he can survive physically at the NBA level. Hell, he struggled in the tournament against collegiate-level athletes.

It's certainly the question with Chet but I'm putting money on him being a KD level type anomalous athlete. I think he can play the 4 and will be the ultimate weak-side help defender.
He could play in between Jakob and KJ right now and our team defense would improve considerably as a result.

duncan2150
04-19-2022, 01:49 AM
Nice piece. Will comment it during the day lol

BatManu20
04-19-2022, 02:04 AM
Banchero is a pipe dream boys. We’ll likely be picking 9-11 and I still think Sochan will be the pick if he’s available.

The idea of Jak + 25 for 13 isn’t a bad one. Just don’t think it happens tbh.

timvp
04-19-2022, 03:27 AM
This is why I like my idea of using Jak and pick 25 to get into lottery with CHA at pick 13. Having 9 and 13 allows SA to take Duren and still get a swing at Sochan, Sharpe, Daniels, Murray

My guess is Duren goes top ten. Most likely before Spurs pick. He was a top five recruit, he's young, he's plug-and-play and he's a relatively safe pick. He could go as high as five, tbh.

I lean against taking him at nine in the Spurs situation but I've gotta do a deeper dive before I cross him off the list.

timvp
04-19-2022, 03:35 AM
FWIW, I’ve seen Banchero play in person and was very impressed. He’s so offensively polished and is exactly what the Spurs need. 6”10 PF but plays like almost like a guard on the perimeter. Can shoot from distance, handle the ball, dribble, drive, finish inside with ferocity… he’s really the epitome of a modern-day PF.

Yeah, he jumps out as the likeliest pick if the Spurs win the lottery. If Coach K gives him a ringing endorsement, that might seal the deal.

It's certainly the question with Chet but I'm putting money on him being a KD level type anomalous athlete. I think he can play the 4 and will be the ultimate weak-side help defender.
He could play in between Jakob and KJ right now and our team defense would improve considerably as a result.

Yeah, I'm pretty high on Chet, tbh. He's on the same tier as Banchero and Smith, IMO.

As you said, Chet starting next to Jakob and KJ sounds promising. Then after a year with that alignment, you figure out if Chet needs to become the full-time center or if he's better suited as a 4. He'd instantly improve the team's defense. His shooting would be useful on offense. His grab-and-go ability would help to quicken the pace even more. I also think he has unlockable perimeter talent that could make him a full-blown star if his body can be improved at all.

Chet rising in the Big Board is more likely than him falling, tbh :wow

timvp
04-19-2022, 03:41 AM

I had Sochan at 5 for a while but I dropped him after I couldn't find one instance of him shooting it straight on any level. I went back years and the guy is a sub-30% three-point shooter and sub-60% free throw shooter at every single stop. That's worrisome. It's also weird because his shot looks relatively smooth and he shoots with confidence. But, yeah, if Chip says Sochan's shot is fixable, I really like him at 9. In today's league, a guy who can play all five positions at a competent level is automatically super valuable.

tbdog
04-19-2022, 05:25 AM

Do you think Duren will be better than Poeltl? I don't know college players, so I am genuinely asking.

ragas
04-19-2022, 07:22 AM
Do you think Duren will be better than Poeltl? I don't know college players, so I am genuinely asking.

There‘s a good chance he can be better, but it depends - as always - on many factors: landing spot, health, work ethic, opportunity

TimDunkem
04-19-2022, 07:33 AM
They're going to pick a guard again, tbh.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-19-2022, 08:52 AM
I think the 2022 draft isn't very good. Not at the very top - no real tier 1 prospects, not in the lottery and probably not in the latter parts as well. Of course there will likely be some players surpassing expectations, but overall I don't feel good about the draft at all. I'll probably be way off on some, or most of these but here we go.

Tier 1
Chet Holmgren - still have him at 1, even though he doesn't project as a no. 1 offensive option. More of a 2nd/3rd banana. High ceiling though, because of his defense, feel and shooting. I think he can play a role similar to Jaren Jackson Jr
Paolo Banchero - not convinced with his shot and his defense especially but he's one of 3 players, who could become a 1st option. My comparison is NY Julius Randle
Jaden Ivey - another player who might be a 1st option but he has to improve in a lot of areas. What I don't like is that he's at his best being the primary ballhandler, but his passing, vision and ballhandling aren't great. If he plays off the ball his value drops. People like to compare him to Morant but I think he's closer to a Lavine, who took his time to get comfortable in the league
Jabari Smith - great shooting and better than you'd think at defense but he has a lot holes - can't get to the rim at all, can't create his own shot, etc. they're stated in all mocks. I think Jerami Grant with more upside is a good comparison
Shaedon Sharpe - the last one who could grow into a main banana, offensively at least. Super difficult to be evaluated by us armchair GMs, it'll depend on his workouts but he could be a Jalen Green/Anthony Edwards type. Not sure he could get to the rim as easily as these two though

Tier 2
Keegan Murray - he's skilled and good at a lot of things, not sure he'll be elite at anything. He overpowers players often and I'm not sure the way he scores receiving the ball on the block and creating for himself will work against NBA athletes. I could see him being a Marcus Morris if his shot translates, or similar to Obi Toppin. If he shatters expectations why not a Siakam even
Ben Mathurin - good scorer and shooter but doesn't project to be much of a ballhandler or a passer. Passable defense at best too. Maybe a Norm Powell
Johnny Davis - I think his shooting percentages are a bit lower due to being the only good player on a bad team, forced to create and shoot of the dribble a lot. Is it because of bad spacing or because he can't create enough separation? Probably both. I see some Caris Levert in his game, maybe he could grow to be a Khris Middleton? I think he has one of the highest upsides after tier 1

Tier 3
Jeremy Sochan - obvious positives but he hasn't shown a glimpse of hope for his shooting. Still, even if he grows to be an average shooter there's good value there because of his versatility and intangibles. Maybe he becomes what Chuma Okeke was going to be before his injury, or a better version of Joe Ingles. There's a lot of Bobo in his demeanor
AJ Griffin - he's super weird to me because I always have the expectation that he's a great athlete but he plays like a below average one, possibly because of his injuries or because of Duke's suspect spacing. Has a very wide frame when shooting but it goes in. Really not sure what to make of him... Gary Trent Jr..?
Jalen Duren - rim protection and rebounding will translate but can he be a switchable defender? Not sure. Will he ever be an OK shooter? Not sure. His passing and possibility to be able to guard on the perimeter would be his swing skills, other than that he's your average rim running athlete, a dime a dozen. Or he could be your Bam Adebayo.
Jaden Hardy - I like him more than most mocks and think his struggles in the gleague are understandable. Of course his flaws are clear as well but he has ballhandling, shooting and passing upside that most players in this draft lack. Not dissimilar to our Josh Primo
Dyson Daniels - he does many things well, except for shooting, a proper swiss army knife type of player. I don't see him as more than a glue guy but this is valuable as well. A taller Derrick White, if you will
Malaki Branham - there's so much to like about him and he has progressed so well as the season went on, game after game. By march he was a different player compared to his first games. Not great athleticism but he knows how to play
Patrick Baldwin Jr - his struggles have become notorious during the season but his shooting form is so awesome it's impossible that it won't translate. Biggest question mark is his motor. Looked disinterested a lot. If he can become a Cameron Johnson he'll be good value in the teens

Others I like :
Ousmane Dieng - was terrible at the beginning of the season but has progressed well, flashing a lot of skills but still with a ton of questions. What I don't like is that he doesn't have a bankable skill , everything is theoretical
Tari Eason - could be a plug and play kind of a rookie but I'm not convinced his defense will translate because he's not disciplined enough. His other skills aren't that enticing if he can't be a lockdown defender
Mark Williams - second best rim running center in the draft after Duren. Actually he could be better if Duren's upside proves disappointing. He's a what you see is what you get player, a lot like Poeltl
Bryce McGowans - inefficient but he looks the part of an NBA player. Looks a lot like DeJounte to me when he plays, not as a player comparison, just something about him reminds me of DJ. Better comparison is Jordan Poole
Kendall Brown - actually I don't like him too much, he's trended downwards as the season progressed and was unplayable in march madness, but he has shown enough flashes that if the Spurs actually draft him I'd be excited ( this is true for a few players )

Some players I don't like:
Ochai Agbaji - I might be very wrong about him and I definitely see him as immediately more impactful than most of the players above but there's something that seems off to me
EJ Liddell - similar to Agbaji
Blake Wesley - I see his theoretical upside and could compare him to McGowans who I like, but his shot doesn't look good to me
TyTy Washington - sure he can be the next Herro or Maxey. Or not. I tend to think not
Walker Kessler - worse Mark Williams, wouldn't hate him at the end of the 1st I guess. Really don't see him being even average as a switchable defender
Kennedy Chandler - I'm probably underestimating him because he's too small. He's feistier defender than you'd expect. Just don't see him as a fit on the Spurs
Jean Montero - similar to Chandler, but like him even less
Christian Braun - when a guy you like doesn't have an elite skill you call him a glue guy, when you don't like him you say he doesn't have a good NBA skill. I don't like Braun
Wendell Moore - similar to Braun
Marjon Beauchamp - great name, other than that...
Nikola Jovic - similar to Dieng in that all of his skills are theoretical. Dieng > Jovic imo, but I wouldn't hate it if he's a draft and stash with the Boston pick
Christian Koloko - the worst of the rim running bigs projected in the first round
Caleb Love - inefficient chucker, turnover machine, too small, just no

Players I like for draft and stash: Kamagate, Spagnolo and Procida - I expect some of these to rise up mock drafts

Pre-draft type of guys I'd like with Tor/Bos picks if they stay in the draft - John Butler, Max Christie, JD Davison, Josh Minott, Caleb Houstan, Peyton Watson

Players I like as 2nd round flyers - Jaylin Williams, Dalen Terry, Jake LaRavia, Justin Lewis

Ariel
04-19-2022, 08:57 AM
Banchero is a pipe dream boys. We’ll likely be picking 9-11 and I still think Sochan will be the pick if he’s available.
We have a better chance at picking 4 (5.7%), 3 (5.2%), 2 (4.8%) or 1 (4.5%) that we do at 11 (3%).
If you want to make it simple, rounding up chances are this: 50% we stay at 9. 20% we pick 1-4. 25% (roughly) we go down one spot, 5% go do down 2 or more.
So 20% at picking 1-4 is very much a possibility, and if so it's a huge win no matter who we get.

exstatic
04-19-2022, 08:59 AM

A couple of articles from the Stepien….

https://www.thestepien.com/2021/12/29/a-taxonomy-of-rim-protectors/

https://www.thestepien.com/2022/04/14/the-constellation-of-connectors/

Silverheart80
04-19-2022, 09:08 AM
I had Sochan at 5 for a while but I dropped him after I couldn't find one instance of him shooting it straight on any level. I went back years and the guy is a sub-30% three-point shooter and sub-60% free throw shooter at every single stop. That's worrisome. It's also weird because his shot looks relatively smooth and he shoots with confidence. But, yeah, if Chip says Sochan's shot is fixable, I really like him at 9. In today's league, a guy who can play all five positions at a competent level is automatically super valuable.

Agree, Timvp. He's a Swiss Army knife. The other reason I like a high-IQ guy like him at 9 is he's not ready to plug-and-play at NBA level yet. He'll need lots of G-League time. Counter-intuitive, I know, but ideally, I'd like to see the Spurs have a lottery shot at Victor Wembanyama in 2023. So letting Sochan get seasoning in the G-League doesn't affect what I hope will happen in '22-'23. I'm all for the 'soft tank' approach, which means try to win every game with the unbalanced roster we have, keep seasoning the players we have, and take a swing for a true generational talent in Wembanyama.

My hope is the Spurs do whatever is possible with this draft to pass on it, with the aim of instead stockpiling 1st-rounders and assets for the '23 Draft. And if the Spurs can't trade up to get him in the Lottery or outright land the #1 ping-pong ball, the free-agency pool in the summer of '23 is MUCH better than it is this year.

Pending no catastrophic injuries for either, I think Wembanyama's NBA career will far eclipse Chet's. VW will create mismatches on a nightly basis, more than anyone in this current draft. Franchise-changer.

duncan2150
04-19-2022, 09:54 AM
I like this big board

Top 4 is locked

After that i also don't have Murray that high, i'm fine with Sochan his defense could be elite, same for Daniels. Except Branham who i like but will be too high imo i like the group of guys for our first pick.

I think there's a good chance that the Spurs take a swing on Jovic or Dieng if they are there at 20

With the 25 take a Center if Koloko, Kamagate or Kessler are on the board.

The Truth #6
04-19-2022, 10:11 AM
My guess is Duren goes top ten. Most likely before Spurs pick. He was a top five recruit, he's young, he's plug-and-play and he's a relatively safe pick. He could go as high as five, tbh.

I lean against taking him at nine in the Spurs situation but I've gotta do a deeper dive before I cross him off the list.

I'm curious what you see his ceiling as...Bam? The hope is that he was underutilized at Memphis I suppose. But specifically, I'm trying to understand what skills you might envision him improving. Or, do you see his benefit mostly as defense?

The Truth #6
04-19-2022, 10:15 AM
Has a lot that's close to what I've been posting, clearly great minds think alike, right down to having Mathurin so high and declaring him to be what the hopes for Lonnie were.

I'm on the Mathurin-Duren hype train. Sochan is interesting, Daniels is promising. But give me all the swag. The greater the swag the bigger the target for swagger jacking when Pop goes big game swag hunting, but it's worth the risk.

I don't get everything you're saying here but, damn, I'm excited to find out. Ha.

DPG21920
04-19-2022, 10:18 AM

Sure - we dont know exactly where he goes, just saying if SA has pick 13 as well for example, they can take Duren if he falls to 9 and still get one of their top 10 guys most likely. Makes him little to no risk at that point is all I am saying with regards to getting to double dip on the lottery picks (take the gamble on Duren if you can and still get a top 4 guy you were realistically targeting).

DPG21920
04-19-2022, 10:24 AM

Not sure - I would say defensively (even if slightly different on that end) he could be as valuable. I think its safe to say he would be a better all around version of Jakob in a few years though. It’s more about value. He will have more value due to his athletic tools and age, so turning Poeltl +25 into pick 13 allows SA to take Duren at 9 if he’s available, but still get someone they would have liked at 9 anyways. Gets SA younger, more upside and more versatile with little to no risk (losing Poeltl as good as he has been will not set SA back at all bigger picture IMO)

And to be clear - I am not really advocating doing these deals so you can get Duren. I am just saying that if you use Jakob to move up into lottery with CHA for example then he makes some sense. But I would still do the deal if it meant picking 9 and 13 with no Duren at all..

rascal
04-19-2022, 10:30 AM
Not sure - I would say defensively (even if slightly different on that end) he could be as valuable. I think its safe to say he would be a better all around version of Jakob in a few years though. It’s more about value. He will have more value due to his athletic tools and age, so turning Poeltl +25 into pick 13 allows SA to take Duren at 9 if he’s available, but still get someone they would have liked at 9 anyways. Gets SA younger, more upside and more versatile with little to no risk (losing Poeltl as good as he has been will not set SA back at all bigger picture IMO)

Duren is better defensively than Poeltl. Is a better rim protector and intimidator and is more athletic and quicker defensively.

DPG21920
04-19-2022, 10:47 AM
Duren is better defensively than Poeltl. Is a better rim protector and intimidator and is more athletic and quicker defensively.

I took the question to mean immediately. I dont think he would come in and be better in terms of winning games now than Jakob. Long term? Sure.

rjv
04-19-2022, 10:54 AM
well, hell, ben simmons will never be able to shoot worth a damn and he's still a commodity because of his prowess on the defensive end. so i wouldn't be put off if the spurs went with sochan especially since the spurs are one of the best at player development.

Dejounte
04-19-2022, 11:08 AM
well, hell, ben simmons will never be able to shoot worth a damn and he's still a commodity because of his prowess on the defensive end. so i wouldn't be put off if the spurs went with sochan especially since the spurs are one of the best at player development.

All things are not equal. Somehow Duren will take advantage of that player development more than others because *gasp* hE’s So YoUnG!

CGD
04-19-2022, 11:18 AM
Interesting nugget, that the Spurs were rumored to like Mathurin last year.
Could mean back to back Canadian selections.

ZeusWillJudge
04-19-2022, 11:30 AM
Just like last year, you put together a real big board. It's a little light on Spurs' priorities, IMO, and more BPA - but I get that. Taking them in pairs or 3's was a nice touch.

My only real cringe moment was about Sochan: "Sochan is a 6-foot-9 18-year-old who legitimately may be able to play all five positions on both offense and defense on the NBA level." At best, on the offensive end he would be a non-shooting version of those positions. At best.

Your take on Mathurin being a second bite of the LWIV apple makes some sense. It still means just an incremental improvement at that position, rather than shoring up the PF position, but if they've decided that Lonnie doesn't have a future here it at least fits. But I'm not a fan of piling up 6'5 - 6'6 prospects without some truly major differentiation. BPA only goes so far unless they have some specific trade targets in mind.

The writing heads have had Johnny Davis associated with the Spurs for months. I'm glad that you didn't indicate that he's one that the Spurs have been focused on. I like Keegan Murray more than you do, but it won't matter because I'm confident he won't be there past #6 anyway. But the combine has got to make some adjustments to big boards, especially near the middle of the draft.

Just curious - did you get to watch Jabari Walker play this season? And did you notice that even though his 3P shot wasn't falling early, he shot right at .500 from the arc over the last half? He checks a lot of boxes for the Spurs. And, IMO, on the BPA list once it gets that far down the board.

JPB
04-19-2022, 11:38 AM
Holgrem is gonna bust hard tbh. Also not high on Duren like a lot here are. Think Duren will at least be an NBA-caliber bench player with the ability to start while Holgrem might be out of the league in 4-5 years.

Not judging your post in itself but this take is the reason why people calling this draft rich and full of game changers are just guessing, or eventually wishful thinking cos spurs happen to have 3 picks, including a high one, this year... Everyone has completely different opinion on players, from great to meh, which is perfectly fine but should invite one to moderation...

Over time, we'll see people radically change their mind about that player spurs should get but anymore cos he sucks finally and vice and versa... Let's at least wait for the combine and tryouts before making definitive conclusions, where we know mock drafts an player hypes may be very different.

Mr. Body
04-19-2022, 12:19 PM
1. I'd be surprised to see the Spurs go with more than two rookies next year, mildly surprised if they go with only one. It's not a stretch to say they will try to package the second two picks and move up, or will target a stash prospect with one of them. I'm unsure what happens with the 2nd rounder. Trading one or two picks for future picks also works. I take little creedence in the rumors of Poeltl going to Charlotte; like the Aldridge-for-Wiseman swap, taken a life of their own.

2. It's a draft heavy in bigs, which is great. They're all flawed, which isn't. If we get a top pick, I favor Holmgren. Second is probably Banchero, although I despise watching Ratface's teams and didn't see him much. People are right to caution about Holmgren's weight and strength but seem to miss how skilled he is. I believe he'd be a high pick even several inches shorter, but then add to that being a mobile shotblocking monster.

3. Some players are streaking up boards already and the evaluations haven't even begun. These include Dyson, Branham, and Dieng. Because there are good prospects at needed positions there, I favor Keegan Murray, Jeremy Sochan, Tari Eason, possibly Duren. There are guards and wings that still intrigue, especially Mathurin, possibly Johnny Davis. The team badly needs a guy who can create buckets. Each of the bigs has question marks - Eason, for example, gets tunnel vision and is undisciplined in major ways, but is ridiculously productive - but the one who continues to intrigue me is Sochan. A dynamic, multi-dimensional defender with burgeoning playmaking skills although his shot is poor.

4. While I don't think there are many apparent 'stars'/'superstars' in this draft, I do think it has some legs, and value will be found into the twenties. If the first pick yields one of the above, the second pick is sort of gravy in terms of immediate impact. Mark Williams, Kessler, some of the wings like Jovic... there are still a ton of options laying around. One oddity of this draft is a lack of scoring guards, however, which last draft was very good at. A Blake Wesley or Patrick Baldwin, Jr., may be optimal here - guys who are projects but have intriguing tools. Agbaji with the 20 could be very good.

5. At this point, I feel like Walker is moving on, leaving a 'gap' for a scorer off the bench who is not Richardson. I can see Poeltl getting traded, I just doubt it right now. He's beyond valuable to the team and I feel letting him go sets everyone back. If the team manages to get into the teens with the later picks, I'd be pretty pumped, I just don't know what teams would have interest. Look at who is between picks 13 and 18. Maybe Atlanta? Would Charlotte want to move back with one of their picks, getting two? I'm unsure.

In sum, I hope to come away with a good big man (or strong swingman like Sochan), and a pretty good scoring guard or second tier among big men (Williams, Kessler). This seems well within the range of possibilities. Aside from this, either move the last FRP and/or the SRP for future draft capital or stashes.

ZeusWillJudge
04-19-2022, 12:26 PM

Duren plays, and will play with more aggression than Jakob. He'll get out and run more than Jakob. I think he would be a pretty good fit on a roster like GSW.

It's not that he's necessarily such a bad pick at 9 or 10. But he's a bad pick for THIS team there.

Ariel
04-19-2022, 12:33 PM
My only real cringe moment was about Sochan: "Sochan is a 6-foot-9 18-year-old who legitimately may be able to play all five positions on both offense and defense on the NBA level." At best, on the offensive end he would be a non-shooting version of those positions. At best.
I do not agree with that at all. Lets acknowledge that he's an inefficient shooter as of now. Bad, frankly, nearing 30% on 3 pointers and 60% on FTs.
That said, he's actually quite skilled and can drive to the basket and finish, post up, pass, moves well without the ball, is smart at reading the plays... he's definitely not a go to scorer, but he's far from a liability on offense already. Also, he doesn't have a horrible shot that looks beyond salvation, and he is not afraid of taking them like Simmons.
If he manages to improve a reasonable amount, say getting to 33% - 35% on 3s and high 60s on FTs, he has no real flaws to be exploited and a very well rounded game. That's not unreasonable, given the Spurs track record on the matter and that he's about the same age as Primo and Duren (who are farther behind in their development I'd argue).
And given everything that he brings to the table, that's a reasonable gamble. Now if you'd tell me you're taking him top 4... yes, it's too much. But around 10, I think it's fair.

ZeusWillJudge
04-19-2022, 12:52 PM
I do not agree with that at all. Lets acknowledge that he's an inefficient shooter as of now. Bad, frankly, nearing 30% on 3 pointers and 60% on FTs.
That said, he's actually quite skilled and can drive to the basket and finish, post up, pass, moves well without the ball, is smart at reading the plays... he's definitely not a go to scorer, but he's far from a liability on offense already. Also, he doesn't have a horrible shot that looks beyond salvation, and he is not afraid of taking them like Simmons.
If he manages to improve a reasonable amount, say getting to 33% - 35% on 3s and high 60s on FTs, he has no real flaws to be exploited and a very well rounded game. That's not unreasonable, given the Spurs track record on the matter and that he's about the same age as Primo and Duren (who are farther behind in their development I'd argue).
And given everything that he brings to the table, that's a reasonable gamble. Now if you'd tell me you're taking him top 4... yes, it's too much. But around 10, I think it's fair.

LOL. My arguing days are behind me (I hope). I'll just say this. If I just had a buck for every comment I've read over the years from people saying, "... if he can just learn to shoot 3's". I'd be more than happy to pay back double to all of those people for the ones who actually learned to shoot 3's.

Here's one clue that a guy doesn't have the stroke to be a consistent 3P shooter - his FT% was .585. I know, I know... Bruce Bowen. But stop and think. Bowen averaged about 6 points per game over his career, and not much more than that in his best seasons.

My response was about the idea of him playing all 5 positions. That's more than a bit hyperbolic. It gets a lot harder to stay objective thinking in those kinds of terms. If Sochan was really that much of a unicorn, he'd be in the discussion for Top 4.

9 points, 6.5 boards, and .8 3P per game. Taking him at 9 wouldn't be a value pick, it would be a leap of faith. Maybe he'll be worthy of that kind of leap.

MultiTroll
04-19-2022, 12:54 PM
11/14 w 2 blocks in only 24 minutes of an average scoring game is good. He also blocks in a way to give team possession of ball.
Zag guards and SFs were pathetic.

Would immediately improve Spurs.

MultiTroll
04-19-2022, 01:01 PM
My response was about the idea of him playing all 5 positions. That's more than a bit hyperbolic. It gets a lot harder to stay objective thinking in those kinds of terms. If Sochan was really that much of a unicorn, he'd be in the discussion for Top 4.Yep.

rjv
04-19-2022, 01:05 PM
it'd be really interesting to see how many of these potential first and second rounders will participate in the combine

Ariel
04-19-2022, 01:09 PM
LOL. My arguing days are behind me (I hope). I'll just say this. If I just had a buck for every comment I've read over the years from people saying, "... if he can just learn to shoot 3's". I'd be more than happy to pay back double to all of those people for the ones who actually learned to shoot 3's.

Here's one clue that a guy doesn't have the stroke to be a consistent 3P shooter - his FT% was .585. I know, I know... Bruce Bowen. But stop and think. Bowen averaged about 6 points per game over his career, and not much more than that in his best seasons.

My response was about the idea of him playing all 5 positions. That's more than a bit hyperbolic. It gets a lot harder to stay objective thinking in those kinds of terms. If Sochan was really that much of a unicorn, he'd be in the discussion for Top 4.

9 points, 6.5 boards, and .8 3P per game. Taking him at 9 wouldn't be a value pick, it would be a leap of faith. Maybe he'll be worthy of that kind of leap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFhb0u1UI8o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDiaGGZXuro
Well... let's just say I'm more confident in him improving his shooting than I am on Chet being able to hold his own in the paint with NBA level athletes. Time will tell.

Mr. Body
04-19-2022, 01:26 PM
Jeremy Sochan shooting from 3pt his freshman season:

0.8 2.7 .296

Kawhi Leonard shooting from 3pt his freshman and sophomore seasons:

0.5 2.3 .205
0.7 2.4 .291

Sochan has almost exactly the same shooting metrics as a freshman as Leonard did as a sophomore. Take that as you will.

The Truth #6
04-19-2022, 01:38 PM
At 9 I don't expect to get a star, but hopefully a starter. There's a huge whole at the 4 spot, but I'm not sure the FO will put on blinders and only look for that position. Likely they don't. The team really needs a player who can get to the rim with ease and break down a defense. Does Ben Mathurin offer that? Reports I read suggest no, but I'm still figuring him out. I like Davis but I'm definitely concerned that he has challenges getting by his man. Davis isn't the most athletic but has long arms and appears very well balanced and agile. I still like Davis because I'm tired of drafting lazy mental midgets, so to speak. I also am intrigued by Sochan but I typically trust Zeus' drafting assessment so I want to look at his game more.

Anyway. It's going to be a long slog until draft day. LOL.

Big Empty
04-19-2022, 02:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFhb0u1UI8o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDiaGGZXuro
Well... let's just say I'm more confident in him improving his shooting than I am on Chet being able to hold his own in the paint with NBA level athletes. Time will tell.meh might as well bring fathead back

Robz4000
04-19-2022, 03:37 PM
Not judging your post in itself but this take is the reason why people calling this draft rich and full of game changers are just guessing, or eventually wishful thinking cos spurs happen to have 3 picks, including a high one, this year... Everyone has completely different opinion on players, from great to meh, which is perfectly fine but should invite one to moderation...

Over time, we'll see people radically change their mind about that player spurs should get but anymore cos he sucks finally and vice and versa... Let's at least wait for the combine and tryouts before making definitive conclusions, where we know mock drafts an player hypes may be very different.

:lol I mean this is all speculation and guessing when you come down to it. No one knows how any player is going to take to the NBA until they do so.

KingKev
04-19-2022, 03:37 PM
meh might as well bring fathead back

haha which one?!?

DAF86
04-19-2022, 04:04 PM
There seems to be a bunch of interesting 4/3 forwards in the draft. Hopefully the Spurs use all three of their first round picks in that position and strike gold with one.

Although I must say that that the player I most would like to get is Holmgren, who is more of a 4/5. No chance of getting high enough to draft him though, so needless conversation.

DAF86
04-19-2022, 04:07 PM

Yeah, he reminds me of a more athletic Kyle Anderson with a better shooting mechanic.

A would gladly take a more athletic Kyle Anderson with better shooting mechanics without thinking it twice, tbh.

BacktoBasics
04-19-2022, 04:24 PM

I don’t see it. I don’t get the love for this guy. I don’t even buy that he’s “deceptively” quick. He might have a nice career as a glue guy but that’s not a player I’d be happy to pick inside the top 10.

DAF86
04-19-2022, 04:31 PM

Off the top of my head, just counting Spurs players: Tony Parker, Kawhi Leonard, Kyle Anderson, Dejounte Murray, Keldon Johnson.

If the player projects to have a very complete skillset, you don't need the guy to become a sharpshooter. Just be serviceable enough to exploit all his other qualities.

Big Empty
04-19-2022, 04:46 PM
I don’t see it. I don’t get the love for this guy. I don’t even buy that he’s “deceptively” quick. He might have a nice career as a glue guy but that’s not a player I’d be happy to pick inside the top 10.i will say Sochan is more of a cross between Fathead and flashes of Lamar Odom. Either way the FO has options for our missing stretch 4. Ill put my trust in them with the 9 pick

BacktoBasics
04-19-2022, 04:54 PM
i will say Sochan is more of a cross between Fathead and flashes of Lamar Odom. Either way the FO has options for our missing stretch 4. Ill put my trust in them with the 9 pick

A Lamar comp is interesting. Feels like it would take a lot to squeeze that out of Sochan. I do agree that there are a handful of options at 9.

Dejounte
04-19-2022, 05:19 PM
Brandon Roy as a comp for Dyson is the best one I’ve heard for a prospect yet. I wish I was the one who made it. Kudos to that guy.

CGD
04-19-2022, 05:45 PM
Brandon Roy as a comp for Dyson is the best one I’ve heard for a prospect yet. I wish I was the one who made it. Kudos to that guy.

If that is the comp, go get that guy then! Just check his knees

Ariel
04-19-2022, 05:47 PM

Initially didn't like what I saw a little bit of him in Youtube until you posted this one. Looks good! I can see some Brandon Roy type of play - fundamentals.

ZeusWillJudge
04-19-2022, 05:47 PM
Off the top of my head, just counting Spurs players: Tony Parker, Kawhi Leonard, Kyle Anderson, Dejounte Murray, Keldon Johnson.

If the player projects to have a very complete skillset, you don't need the guy to become a sharpshooter. Just be serviceable enough to exploit all his other qualities.

Keldon shot close to .400 from 3P in college - maybe .380 or so. He didn't have to learn how to shoot the 3. I'm just going to stop there - won't even going to grace the rest of that with a response. Did you, like, congratulate yourself after cooking up that list?

Hera hates it when I argue with ignorant mortals. You're just going to have to entertain yourself some other way.

mystargtr34
04-19-2022, 06:02 PM
Jeremy Sochan shooting from 3pt his freshman season:

0.8 2.7 .296

Kawhi Leonard shooting from 3pt his freshman and sophomore seasons:

0.5 2.3 .205
0.7 2.4 .291

Sochan has almost exactly the same shooting metrics as a freshman as Leonard did as a sophomore. Take that as you will.

Yeah and Sochan has the similar swing or heave in his jumper just before the release. Same thing Kawhi had in college. Im sure a good shooting coach will coach that out of him. Go back and look at Kawhi's college highlights and you will see that slight sling or heave in his jump shot. Kinda had it in his first year in the league as well but erradicated it after that and has become a damn good shooter.

That won't be the only thing to fix though cause Sochan still only shoots 60% from the line so there must be an issue with the wrist/hand too that'll need fixing. Doubt its a mental issue causing the poor FT shooting.

mystargtr34
04-19-2022, 06:12 PM
Either way Sochan is still my pick if Spurs stay in the projected 9 area. Too many positives for me that outweigh the shooting questions, ability to guard 3 through 5, mobility and size to guard pick and roll well (still the most run offensive action in the league by far), can provide some rim protection, high IQ, knows where to be without the ball and seemingly reads the game well, doesn't shy away from contacts, has toughness and some nasty about him. On offense he has a bit to work with too for, very good passer, good footwork when making moves to the basket albeit he is more methodical than he is explosive. Methodical doesn't mean slow, he's a very fluid athlete, he's just not explosive. Has a good body too once he gets his shoulder into a defender its hard to block his shot.

Mathurin is my second choice. I am higher on Keegan Murray than timvp is but don't think he will be there at 9.

DAF86
04-19-2022, 06:21 PM
Keldon shot close to .400 from 3P in college - maybe .380 or so. He didn't have to learn how to shoot the 3. I'm just going to stop there - won't even going to grace the rest of that with a response. Did you, like, congratulate yourself after cooking up that list?

Hera hates it when I argue with ignorant mortals. You're just going to have to entertain yourself some other way.

Dude, you go from 0 to a 100 in a split second. That's probably why you are trying not to argue so much. You have a problem. You can't argue like a decent human being. :lol

rascal
04-19-2022, 06:48 PM
Don't like Sochan at 9. Like other players more. Rather have Ogbaji than him. Definitely Mathurin, Sharpe, Murray before him. Those guys just look better and more explosive with more upside star potential. Ogbaji looks to be more athletic and active, is not afraid to come up big in big games, take and make the big shot and is a strong 3 and D player who can also play above the rim.

BackHome
04-19-2022, 07:08 PM
I think the 2022 draft isn't very good. Not at the very top - no real tier 1 prospects, not in the lottery and probably not in the latter parts as well. Of course there will likely be some players surpassing expectations, but overall I don't feel good about the draft at all. I'll probably be way off on some, or most of these but here we go.

Tier 1
Chet Holmgren - still have him at 1, even though he doesn't project as a no. 1 offensive option. More of a 2nd/3rd banana. High ceiling though, because of his defense, feel and shooting. I think he can play a role similar to Jaren Jackson Jr
Paolo Banchero - not convinced with his shot and his defense especially but he's one of 3 players, who could become a 1st option. My comparison is NY Julius Randle
Jaden Ivey - another player who might be a 1st option but he has to improve in a lot of areas. What I don't like is that he's at his best being the primary ballhandler, but his passing, vision and ballhandling aren't great. If he plays off the ball his value drops. People like to compare him to Morant but I think he's closer to a Lavine, who took his time to get comfortable in the league
Jabari Smith - great shooting and better than you'd think at defense but he has a lot holes - can't get to the rim at all, can't create his own shot, etc. they're stated in all mocks. I think Jerami Grant with more upside is a good comparison
Shaedon Sharpe - the last one who could grow into a main banana, offensively at least. Super difficult to be evaluated by us armchair GMs, it'll depend on his workouts but he could be a Jalen Green/Anthony Edwards type. Not sure he could get to the rim as easily as these two though

Tier 2
Keegan Murray - he's skilled and good at a lot of things, not sure he'll be elite at anything. He overpowers players often and I'm not sure the way he scores receiving the ball on the block and creating for himself will work against NBA athletes. I could see him being a Marcus Morris if his shot translates, or similar to Obi Toppin. If he shatters expectations why not a Siakam even
Ben Mathurin - good scorer and shooter but doesn't project to be much of a ballhandler or a passer. Passable defense at best too. Maybe a Norm Powell
Johnny Davis - I think his shooting percentages are a bit lower due to being the only good player on a bad team, forced to create and shoot of the dribble a lot. Is it because of bad spacing or because he can't create enough separation? Probably both. I see some Caris Levert in his game, maybe he could grow to be a Khris Middleton? I think he has one of the highest upsides after tier 1

Tier 3
Jeremy Sochan - obvious positives but he hasn't shown a glimpse of hope for his shooting. Still, even if he grows to be an average shooter there's good value there because of his versatility and intangibles. Maybe he becomes what Chuma Okeke was going to be before his injury, or a better version of Joe Ingles. There's a lot of Bobo in his demeanor
AJ Griffin - he's super weird to me because I always have the expectation that he's a great athlete but he plays like a below average one, possibly because of his injuries or because of Duke's suspect spacing. Has a very wide frame when shooting but it goes in. Really not sure what to make of him... Gary Trent Jr..?
Jalen Duren - rim protection and rebounding will translate but can he be a switchable defender? Not sure. Will he ever be an OK shooter? Not sure. His passing and possibility to be able to guard on the perimeter would be his swing skills, other than that he's your average rim running athlete, a dime a dozen. Or he could be your Bam Adebayo.
Jaden Hardy - I like him more than most mocks and think his struggles in the gleague are understandable. Of course his flaws are clear as well but he has ballhandling, shooting and passing upside that most players in this draft lack. Not dissimilar to our Josh Primo
Dyson Daniels - he does many things well, except for shooting, a proper swiss army knife type of player. I don't see him as more than a glue guy but this is valuable as well. A taller Derrick White, if you will
Malaki Branham - there's so much to like about him and he has progressed so well as the season went on, game after game. By march he was a different player compared to his first games. Not great athleticism but he knows how to play
Patrick Baldwin Jr - his struggles have become notorious during the season but his shooting form is so awesome it's impossible that it won't translate. Biggest question mark is his motor. Looked disinterested a lot. If he can become a Cameron Johnson he'll be good value in the teens

Others I like :
Ousmane Dieng - was terrible at the beginning of the season but has progressed well, flashing a lot of skills but still with a ton of questions. What I don't like is that he doesn't have a bankable skill , everything is theoretical
Tari Eason - could be a plug and play kind of a rookie but I'm not convinced his defense will translate because he's not disciplined enough. His other skills aren't that enticing if he can't be a lockdown defender
Mark Williams - second best rim running center in the draft after Duren. Actually he could be better if Duren's upside proves disappointing. He's a what you see is what you get player, a lot like Poeltl
Bryce McGowans - inefficient but he looks the part of an NBA player. Looks a lot like DeJounte to me when he plays, not as a player comparison, just something about him reminds me of DJ. Better comparison is Jordan Poole
Kendall Brown - actually I don't like him too much, he's trended downwards as the season progressed and was unplayable in march madness, but he has shown enough flashes that if the Spurs actually draft him I'd be excited ( this is true for a few players )

Some players I don't like:
Ochai Agbaji - I might be very wrong about him and I definitely see him as immediately more impactful than most of the players above but there's something that seems off to me
EJ Liddell - similar to Agbaji
Blake Wesley - I see his theoretical upside and could compare him to McGowans who I like, but his shot doesn't look good to me
TyTy Washington - sure he can be the next Herro or Maxey. Or not. I tend to think not
Walker Kessler - worse Mark Williams, wouldn't hate him at the end of the 1st I guess. Really don't see him being even average as a switchable defender
Kennedy Chandler - I'm probably underestimating him because he's too small. He's feistier defender than you'd expect. Just don't see him as a fit on the Spurs
Jean Montero - similar to Chandler, but like him even less
Christian Braun - when a guy you like doesn't have an elite skill you call him a glue guy, when you don't like him you say he doesn't have a good NBA skill. I don't like Braun
Wendell Moore - similar to Braun
Marjon Beauchamp - great name, other than that...
Nikola Jovic - similar to Dieng in that all of his skills are theoretical. Dieng > Jovic imo, but I wouldn't hate it if he's a draft and stash with the Boston pick
Christian Koloko - the worst of the rim running bigs projected in the first round
Caleb Love - inefficient chucker, turnover machine, too small, just no

Players I like for draft and stash: Kamagate, Spagnolo and Procida - I expect some of these to rise up mock drafts

Pre-draft type of guys I'd like with Tor/Bos picks if they stay in the draft - John Butler, Max Christie, JD Davison, Josh Minott, Caleb Houstan, Peyton Watson

Players I like as 2nd round flyers - Jaylin Williams, Dalen Terry, Jake LaRavia, Justin Lewis

Someone has done there Homework excellent review of players pretty spot on - One thing I have noticed about these draft prospects that a lot of them are going to either fail or be really good if they go to the right team that has good development...ie...Spurs...:)

KobesAchilles
04-19-2022, 09:29 PM
Banchero I think is at the top of the leader board and who I hope we end up drafting with the #1 pick. Ivey is my second pick if we land only in the top 4.

But on the unlikely chance we don’t get a top 4 pick then I like Dyson at #9. After that I have no idea and will not pretend who the heck we should draft with the 17th and 22nd pick. I think we should trade each pick for future picks or package all 3 somehow for a higher pick. We don’t need three 19 year olds on this team

The Truth #6
04-19-2022, 10:22 PM
Mathurin is probably our best chance for elite skill and athleticism at picking 9 but that’s still a low chance he’s available.

I could see Keegan Murray being available and passing on him, which would be amazing to see that meltdown.

But at picking at 9 I’m ok with with Dyson Daniels, Murray, or Johnny Davis. At a certain point I’d rather go with bbiq then just buzz and athleticism. Players without elite athleticism can continue to improve also.

Ariel
04-19-2022, 10:30 PM
After that I have no idea and will not pretend who the heck we should draft with the 17th and 22nd pick.
We don't have 17 & 22, we have 20 & 25

T Park
04-19-2022, 10:37 PM
If you don’t get in the top 3 to get Banchero, then you go BPA.

BatManu20
04-20-2022, 01:27 AM
Sucks we still have 2 more months of this speculation. Gonna be a long couple months tbh. Least we have the combine in a month.

jeebus
04-20-2022, 01:44 AM
I can see the Spurs trading their lottery pick and Vassell for a 6'5 guard.

BatManu20
04-20-2022, 02:05 AM
A name nobody’s really mentioned but that I’m intrigued by is Blake Wesley from Notre Dame. Just turned 19 last month. 6’5 with a near 7-foot wingspan and one of the best athletes in this draft. His shooting numbers have to improve obviously as his splits were 40/30/66 this season, but he’s got the tools to be special at the next level with lots of upside. Very springy athlete. Reminds me a bit of Mathurin in that regard. He’s moving up draft boards at the moment. Currently projected to go mid-late First Round.

t5UsVC3YCuc

Ariel
04-20-2022, 06:41 AM
A name nobody’s really mentioned but that I’m intrigued by is Blake Wesley from Notre Dame.
I did, as an option for the 20ish picks. He's interesting for the reasons you posted, he's low cost - high reward potential. But to make room for these kind of bets you can't keep stockpiling Lonnie Walkers, Bates-Diops, Landales... clearing out some of those contracts would be necessary. Some would be easier (not resigning Lonnie), some harder (moving McDermott) but still doable.

Atl Spur
04-20-2022, 07:08 AM
Give me Malik Monk over Wesley. Our draft assets need to be used on front court mostly.

Dejounte
04-20-2022, 07:35 AM
Blake Wesley is a similar prospect to when DJ Murray came out. Both share a borderline street baller aesthetic to their game. Like Murray used to be, Wesley plays very loose and could use a lot of refinement. With strict coaching and a decent developmental program, he could turn out into something special. I think he’s the pick with one of our later first rounders if they are kept.

Degoat
04-20-2022, 07:43 AM
I like Blake Wesley a lot, I just worry his stock might go up as we get closer to the draft if we can get him at 20 that would be terrific!

Biggems
04-20-2022, 09:19 AM
My main concern with Sharpe is that he could turn into Wiseman part 2. Yes, he has some elite skills, but will that carry over to the NBA. After sitting out for a year, will he be a beast or just the latest over-inflated bust?

rascal
04-20-2022, 09:37 AM
My main concern with Sharpe is that he could turn into Wiseman part 2. Yes, he has some elite skills, but will that carry over to the NBA. After sitting out for a year, will he be a beast or just the latest over-inflated bust?

Too talented to be a bust. It'll take a couple years but I see a player the Spurs will regret passing up on if he's there at 9.

KobesAchilles
04-20-2022, 09:44 AM
We don't have 17 & 22, we have 20 & 25
Those too :lol

My point is that I don't know these college players at all this year outside of like 10 names

KingKev
04-20-2022, 09:44 AM

Too early to call Wiseman a bust. Look at the rest of the Warriors youth. When Wiseman gets healthy he is in the best system in the NBA with no pressure to be great. Recipe for success.

Uriel
04-20-2022, 10:18 AM
A name nobody’s really mentioned but that I’m intrigued by is Blake Wesley from Notre Dame. Just turned 19 last month. 6’5 with a near 7-foot wingspan and one of the best athletes in this draft. His shooting numbers have to improve obviously as his splits were 40/30/66 this season, but he’s got the tools to be special at the next level with lots of upside. Very springy athlete. Reminds me a bit of Mathurin in that regard. He’s moving up draft boards at the moment. Currently projected to go mid-late First Round.

t5UsVC3YCuc
I've seen Blake Wesley play in person. He's a great penetrator, uber fast and athletic. And when he gets steals in the open court and drives to the rim for a vicious fast break dunk, he reminds me almost of a 6"5 Kawhi Leonard.

rascal
04-20-2022, 10:21 AM
I can see the Spurs trading their lottery pick and Vassell for a 6'5 guard.

The only trade I can see the Spurs making is trading the 25 away for a future pick.

KingKev
04-20-2022, 10:45 AM
The only trade I can see the Spurs making is trading the 25 away for a future pick.

Jak and one the late FRPs and SRP and/or JRich and one of the late FRPs or SRP might get you something nice.

baseline bum
04-20-2022, 11:14 AM

Then again, I remember hearing the same about Durant when he couldn't bench 185.

ZeusWillJudge
04-20-2022, 11:28 AM
I've seen Blake Wesley play in person. He's a great penetrator, uber fast and athletic. And when he gets steals in the open court and drives to the rim for a vicious fast break dunk, he reminds me almost of a 6"5 Kawhi Leonard.

I watched ND several times, but never in person. And since it's you, I'll give that some extra weight. But let me give you a couple of things to consider - food for thought.

I've heard that "small Kawhi Leonard" about several players over the last few years. My belief is that you can't have a small Kawhi Leonard, because Kawhi's size is part of what lets him do what he does. Kawhi was a walking double-double in college - at least in his sophomore year. That's a facet that Wesley would never have developed in another year in college, and never will in the NBA.

The other thing is that no matter how you parse this, he's still another 6'5" player. If he really is destined to be a great player at the next level, he can still only be an upgrade to a single existing position. So I assume you're thinking of him as a LWIV replacement? I don't mind that, but do you think he's ready this year to step in as the starting 2 guard for an NBA team? And if he does step into that role here, how does that affect the team's horizon?

I wasn't mesmerized by his defense, but that's hard to gauge in small samples. BUT... it you look at the team stats for the whole season, he was one of the very few players whose DRtg was lower than his ORtg, and his DBPM was by far the lowest on the team other than a couple of bench rats. Strangely, since he's being billed as a serious offensive piece, his ORtg was by far THE lowest on the whole team. Put all that together, and it's at least a yellow flag.

He's got jets, I'll give you that. But he's not how I would want to see a FRP spent - this season, especially. I guess, like DPG is fond of saying, if the Spurs' FO sees something in him and decides to draft him, I would have to think they had a reason. But he wouldn't be on my board.

BatManu20
04-20-2022, 11:33 AM
Kofi Cockburn just declared for the Draft this morning. One of my favorite players in college basketball last season. Dude is a beast. He was a First Team All-American this season. He’s 21 so a little older than you’d like, but he’s a monster inside at 7’0 290 lbs with athleticism. Old-school Center who plays with his back to the basket. Very physical inside which I love. Doesn’t get pushed around (look at him). He’s going in the First around for sure.

jBrQ3odnohA

gVezgX3KQus

BatManu20
04-20-2022, 11:51 AM
Kofi averaged 21/11/1/1/1 on nearly 60% shooting this season. Majority of his shots are at the rim dude to his old-school playing style, though he does have a mid-range jumper he likes to use from time to time. He also has a reported 7’4 wingspan. His biggest weakness, however, is going to be foot-speed and defending the PnR. Teams will likely try to exploit him there.

duncan2150
04-20-2022, 12:07 PM
Imo the problem with Kofi will be the perimeter D, he can be out of gas a little bit quickly during games. Other than that he's biiiig and can dominates the paint. Not a rim protector but he can rebound pretty well.

Ariel
04-20-2022, 12:19 PM
Kofi averaged 21/11/1/1/1 on nearly 60% shooting this season. Majority of his shots are at the rim dude to his old-school playing style, though he does have a mid-range jumper he likes to use from time to time. He also has a reported 7’4 wingspan. His biggest weakness, however, is going to be foot-speed and defending the PnR. Teams will likely try to exploit him there.
Yes. He's likely to find his role very limited because of that, but someone will give him a chance with a late second rounder, or even if he goes undrafted. Not what we need, but should be fun to watch.

Mr. Body
04-20-2022, 12:34 PM
Cockburn is going to make money playing basketball somewhere, just don't know if it's in the NBA. I can see a team struggling with interior defense (against Embiid et al) grabbing him. A team like Chicago.

BatManu20
04-20-2022, 12:41 PM
Cockburn is going to make money playing basketball somewhere, just don't know if it's in the NBA. I can see a team struggling with interior defense (against Embiid et al) grabbing him. A team like Chicago.

Or Charlotte, who desperately wants a Center. I think there’s a good chance they take Williams from Duke at 14 though.

BatManu20
04-20-2022, 12:45 PM
Imo the problem with Kofi will be the perimeter D, he can be out of gas a little bit quickly during games. Other than that he's biiiig and can dominates the paint. Not a rim protector but he can rebound pretty well.

Will definitely be attacked in the PnR at the next level. That’s why he’s not a lottery pick or even top-20. But I still think a team might fall in love with him and pick late in the First.

BatManu20
04-20-2022, 12:49 PM

Ariel
04-20-2022, 12:51 PM
Or Charlotte, who desperately wants a Center. I think there’s a good chance they take Williams from Duke at 14 though.
Charlotte needs a center who can defend. He's not the type.

Mr. Body
04-20-2022, 12:53 PM
Another guy testing the waters that might be had late is Trayce Jackson-Davis. Great athlete, very good weak side shot blocker, some good skills. If he developed a jump shot he'd be a lottery pick but now he could be a bargain.

BatManu20
04-20-2022, 01:00 PM
Charlotte needs a center who can defend. He's not the type.

True, which is why I think they take Williams with their first pick (13, not 14 — my b). But never underestimate Mitch Kupchak’s ability to fall in love with a player because of his physical attributes. Also, Michael Jordan still partakes in their drafting.

Ariel
04-20-2022, 01:14 PM
True, which is why I think they take Williams with their first pick (13, not 14 — my b). But never underestimate Mitch Kupchak’s ability to fall in love with a player because of his physical attributes. Also, Michael Jordan still partakes in their drafting.
I think so too. Duren as well, in the unlikely chance he's still there (you never know). It'd be the cheaper option, and the one I'd go if I were in their shoes. The faster, safer route would be taking back negotiations for Poeltl where they left off... that would be a best case scenario for us. That's in case they want someone proven, or Williams is unavailable at 13 (not likely but possible).

The Truth #6
04-20-2022, 01:25 PM
Too talented to be a bust. It'll take a couple years but I see a player the Spurs will regret passing up on if he's there at 9.

He's Canadian born, so maybe that endears him to Brian Wright. LOL.

Robz4000
04-20-2022, 02:02 PM
Then again, I remember hearing the same about Durant when he couldn't bench 185.

Durant was an SF tbh, this kid is prolly gonna have to play C.

the golden era
04-20-2022, 02:09 PM
They idea of trade up to me seems more and more unlikely. This team went all in on this draft, I don’t think it was done unintentionally. There will be talent to be had at all picks and these players will still line up with our young core’s timeline. It will be way to costly to move into the top 4, and Chet is the only one with obvious star potential, but he does appear to be a risk with his build. I believe PATFO views this draft as a real opportunity to get back into contention in by 2023/2024 season. I think they stand pat with all their picks. If Sharpe is there at 9 I think they take him, especially if his background checks out given our history as only bringing in solid character kids. His high school tape flashes major star potential. If he’s off the board I go with Eason, then Duren. At 20 I think you take BPA who is a scorer, someone who can take and make shots at all three levels. If Davis falls there I take him, or the kid from Ohio State, but I am still really intrigued by that Smith kid from NCstate. He really looks like he could be the real deal, athletic volume scorer with in the gym range. We really need someone like that, almost like how the warriors rolled the dice on Poole and now they have a two headed monster with him and Steph. At 25 you take the best 4/5 prospect on the board, Koloko, Williams, Cockburn.

KingKev
04-20-2022, 03:39 PM

lol I think it was more like a plate. Probably still can’t is top 25
of all time.

Uriel
04-20-2022, 04:10 PM
There’s a poor man’s Shaq. There’s a homeless man’s Shaq. And then there’s a disease-addled, bed-ridden, extreme poverty man’s Shaq.

That’s Kofi Cockburn.

poopbox
04-20-2022, 04:13 PM

He is the exact type of player we need tbh. Even though we had a top 10 offense, it's incredibly hard for our guards around the rim cause bigs don't give two shits about Poeltl little flip shots and just sell out against our guards. A rim running / lob threat big would take a lot of pressure off dejounte and would significantly open up our offense. No way your top 3 are there at 9 but Duren might be. If he is, it's a no brainer we take him. Also, I trust our coaching staff to develop him, so I do not think he is just going to be a rim runner forever. But this the same staff who hasn't been able to convince Poeltl to dunk a basketball more than twice in a game...so...

TD 21
04-20-2022, 04:33 PM
I knew they'd be fans of Mathurin. It's stereotypical, but they clearly target Canadians like they do bi-racial for this reason: NBA physical tools without NBA personality.

Middling athleticism and non star upside didn't stop them from selecting Vassell over Haliburton and Maxey, so I don't see why that or age would stop them from targeting Murray in a trade up scenario.

They've found out firsthand in recent years how hard it is to get modern fours. He's more attainable and checks more Spurs related boxes than any in recent memory.

I think so too. Duren as well, in the unlikely chance he's still there (you never know). It'd be the cheaper option, and the one I'd go if I were in their shoes. The faster, safer route would be taking back negotiations for Poeltl where they left off... that would be a best case scenario for us. That's in case they want someone proven, or Williams is unavailable at 13 (not likely but possible).

Agree that they'd likely prefer Poeltl (in part because they appear to have decided they're not paying Washington Jr.) to Williams or trying to trade up for Duren. He's the middle ground in terms of getting a proven, youngish commodity, the assets required and what he'd cost going forward between chancing it on a rookie or targeting Gobert, Capela, Turner or settling for Robinson.

Still, they have enough realistic options that there's a danger of the Spurs pushing too hard, especially considering the Bulls and Raptors don't have nearly as good of expendable assets as the Hornets.

The Truth #6
04-20-2022, 04:39 PM
I’m wondering if all this pro-Duren discussion is really just latent Yak hatred. I mean, does anyone here like Duren AND Yak?

KingKev
04-20-2022, 04:54 PM
I’m wondering if all this pro-Duren discussion is really just latent Yak hatred. I mean, does anyone here like Duren AND Yak?

I think Jak is on his way out similar to White. To valuable not to hit that bid and potential targets in the draft to possibly replace him long term.

Mr. Body
04-20-2022, 04:55 PM

People here just get a hard on for any trade some journalist schmuck mentions on twitter. So they're obsessed with trading Poeltl. Because he hasn't been traded, it's the worst thing in the world. They'd trade him instantly for PJ Washington and Kai Jones, two players who aren't even close to as good as Poeltl is.

So, yes, the Duren love affair is because he's a 'baller' and because he's not Poeltl, even though Poeltl does everything he does much, much better.

Biggems
04-20-2022, 05:17 PM

does he have a controlling uncle? does he whine about phantom lingering injuries? does he plan on sitting out a 3rd of every season and never playing both games in a back to back?

Biggems
04-20-2022, 05:19 PM
Jak and one the late FRPs and SRP and/or JRich and one of the late FRPs or SRP might get you something nice.

I want to keep JRich.

I wanted to keep Poeltl, but I am willing to trade him for someone of substance or even a 1st. Now, if we do trade him, Center becomes an immediate need.

Biggems
04-20-2022, 05:21 PM
People here just get a hard on for any trade some journalist schmuck mentions on twitter. So they're obsessed with trading Poeltl. Because he hasn't been traded, it's the worst thing in the world. They'd trade him instantly for PJ Washington and Kai Jones, two players who aren't even close to as good as Poeltl is.

So, yes, the Duren love affair is because he's a 'baller' and because he's not Poeltl, even though Poeltl does everything he does much, much better.

I would not take Duren over Poeltl. Yes, Duren and more athletic, but he is very raw. Poeltl is far more polished, and he has shown some improvement each season with us.

PhantomDashCam
04-20-2022, 05:21 PM

While I’m intrigued by Duren’s athletic profile, youth and upside; I recognise there’s a good chance he becomes a Willy Caulie Stein or Nerlens Noel type too. They’re obviously nowhere near Jakob’s level. And even at Duren’s absolute peak, it’s arguable that he would more effective than Jakob is right now other then say a lob target and more robust low post defensive option…

The only way I potentially see it working is if Jakob serves as a mentor for Duren for half a season and the Spurs feel comfortable handing the ‘C’ reigns to him around the deadline, trading Poeltl as a result. That seems extremely unlikely tbh.

The Truth #6
04-20-2022, 05:39 PM
I think Jak is on his way out similar to White. To valuable not to hit that bid and potential targets in the draft to possibly replace him long term.

I can see how he isn’t in their longterm plans because they don’t have their true star yet to build around and so they don’t want to open the bank for him. Assuming that’s true, they absolutely should entertain trade offers.

rascal
04-20-2022, 07:11 PM
Durant was an SF tbh, this kid is prolly gonna have to play C.

Durant never looked as skinny and weak. Durant also looks quicker and more athletic.

rascal
04-20-2022, 07:14 PM

JRich has very little value outside of Spur fans.

Jak has value because he's a center.

KingKev
04-20-2022, 08:02 PM
JRich has very little value outside of Spur fans.

Jak has value because he's a center.

50% of this board thinks we can sign and trade Walker and net a return like DDR.

Jak has value because he is an elite defensive big on a cheap contract. Traditional 5s actually aren't worth sh!t these days. Yak at 15/yr is meh.

JRich and an SRP will net you a first, i’m quite confident.

Biggems
04-20-2022, 09:38 PM
I know this is the draft thread.....but what about some of the players who may not get drafted. Who are some potential UDFAs that you would like the Spurs to go after for the SL?

For me,

PG Carlos Alocen (though if he isn't drafted, probably stays in Spain)
SG Allen Flanigan
SF Matthew Mayer
SF Terrence Shannon Jr.
PF Trayce Jackson-Davis

rascal
04-20-2022, 09:39 PM

Spurs need to make some moves to shake up this non playoff roster. Sitting on the current team and hoping everyone will improve is a losing strategy.

rascal
04-20-2022, 09:43 PM

I don't think Charlotte will be interested anymore in Poeltl. With picks 13 and 15 they are in position to add a center there without the need for a trade.

mystargtr34
04-20-2022, 11:07 PM
I don't think Charlotte will be interested anymore in Poeltl. With picks 13 and 15 they are in position to add a center there without the need for a trade.

Agree with that. Although Duren and Williams could be off the board by the time Charlotte picks at 13. I could see the Knicks taking Williams at 11 as a Mitch Robinson replacement and I can see OKC at 12 and a lot of teams from 5-11 taking Duren. Heck OKC may even take Williams at 12 if Duren is off the board. They need a C badly. And a PF.

I doubt the Hornets will see Walker Kessler or any other C as the answer.

exstatic
04-20-2022, 11:16 PM

I like Jak, but he’ll be 27 when his contract is up, and he’ll want more money, for sure. Probably time to hit the rest button on the C position, with Zollins on a friendly contract as the bridge to the future center.

scott
04-20-2022, 11:27 PM
I am with the prevailing train of thought that we should sell Jak now (for the reasons aforementioned by exstatic above, and because he is close to his peak value right now with one more cheap year to go. I'd maybe argue he was more valuable at the deadline last year, but it doesn't matter anymore).

But what's the plan if we do trade Jak? Draft another C? Go after a Thomas Bryant or Mitch Robinson (presumably both will want more money than what Jak makes now)?

ZeusWillJudge
04-20-2022, 11:29 PM
I know this is the draft thread.....but what about some of the players who may not get drafted. Who are some potential UDFAs that you would like the Spurs to go after for the SL?

For me,

PG Carlos Alocen (though if he isn't drafted, probably stays in Spain)
SG Allen Flanigan
SF Matthew Mayer
SF Terrence Shannon Jr.
PF Trayce Jackson-Davis

Every year I try to pick out UFA prospects. I screamed for Fred VanVleet, and got laughed at. I called for Max Strus and got laughed at, and now he's starting for the #1 team in the Eastern Conference. Last year Kenyon Martin Jr., but he wound up going at 52 or 53. This year it seems that Andrew Nembhard is being overlooked (though we won't know until draft night). If his name doesn't get called, I would absolutely have some kind of contract waiting for him - at least a two-way to get him into the gym.

I actually like Terrence Shannon. He's a big, strong kid who can handle contact, and he can shoot open 3's. But if I'm being honest, I think he's G-League fodder. Not a bad idea, though.

I'm a HUGE fan of Auburn's program, and I liked Flanigan last year, but I didn't keep up with him. I don't know what happened to him this year, though. Do you? If it was an injury, he might be someone who could make it on someone's bench.

I more than half expect Trayce Jackson-Davis to get called by someone in the second round. If he doesn't, he's probably at least worth a two-way.

I've also been a fan of Baylor products in the recent past, but not Matthew Mayer.

Carlos Alocen? Did you read that in an article somewhere? Be honest. :lol

rascal
04-21-2022, 09:30 AM
Agree with that. Although Duren and Williams could be off the board by the time Charlotte picks at 13. I could see the Knicks taking Williams at 11 as a Mitch Robinson replacement and I can see OKC at 12 and a lot of teams from 5-11 taking Duren. Heck OKC may even take Williams at 12 if Duren is off the board. They need a C badly. And a PF.

I doubt the Hornets will see Walker Kessler or any other C as the answer.

Maybe the play for the Spurs is to take Duren at 9 and force Charlotte's hand into a trade for Poeltl if word is the Knicks will take Williams at 11. It would be crazy to land 13 and 15 for Poeltl and 20 or 25.

XDT76
04-21-2022, 10:20 AM
Maybe the play for the Spurs is to take Duren at 9 and force Charlotte's hand into a trade for Poeltl if word is the Knicks will take Williams at 11. It would be crazy to land 13 and 15 for Poeltl and 20 or 25.

There is no requirement for the word, they can decide when it's their time on the clock.

rascal
04-21-2022, 11:12 AM
There is no requirement for the word, they can decide when it's their time on the clock.

You're right. They can be on the phone with Charlotte and depending what the Knicks and OK do that can decide if Charlotte wants to make the deal.

The Commissioner can announce a trade before Charlotte's pick.

The Truth #6
04-21-2022, 11:22 AM
It's worth re-opening talks with CHA (assuming they ever happened), but there's no guarantee of that. Feels like that's going to be a letdown. The Spurs usually surprise us with trades.

Ariel
04-21-2022, 11:41 AM
You're right. They can be on the phone with Charlotte and depending what the Knicks and OK do that can decide if Charlotte wants to make the deal.

The Commissioner can announce a trade before Charlotte's pick.
Trades are announced sometime after the pick. The Mikal Bridges situation is very representative of this, and also hilarious. He was picked at 10 by Philadelphia, with him being from Philadelphia and his mother even worked for the 76ers. They even interviewed him and his mom, and they were going overboard about how much it meant to him to be there... only to find out later on during the draft that he was actually part of a trade and on his way to Phoenix. In the end it worked out great for him, but that's one funny draft moment that illustrates these situations that happen with draft day trades.

wildbill2u
04-21-2022, 05:36 PM
I am with the prevailing train of thought that we should sell Jak now (for the reasons aforementioned by exstatic above, and because he is close to his peak value right now with one more cheap year to go. I'd maybe argue he was more valuable at the deadline last year, but it doesn't matter anymore).

But what's the plan if we do trade Jak? Draft another C? Go after a Thomas Bryant or Mitch Robinson (presumably both will want more money than what Jak makes now)?

Good questions. I'm not down with the trade Poertle crowd yet. Granted his value is at a peak now because of his cheap contract and his rise to a premium center statwise. But who will replace those stats and defensive abilities, not to mention he has great hands and is invaluable on the P&R with Murray. Are we to be left with Zach and Jock? These three are the only players we have at the 5 with known abilities. Would some of the potential trades for Poertle that are being discussed give us a realistic shot at a super/much better player at that position?

Center is certainly not the problem position that we have at PF and, to a lesser extent, at SF. Not only do we not have WOW players at those positions, we barely have acceptable players on the floor at times because of inconsistency (Vassell) and the continuing 'tweener" problem with Keldon.

Ariel
04-21-2022, 06:08 PM

That's highly contingent on whichever deal gets done, if any. I'm in favor of exploring options that add youth and talent at positions in need of it, but it's not like we need to dump him, so unless the right offer comes along (again, the proposed Charlotte deal seemed good all around IMO) you hold on to him. Boston extended Robert Williams at around $ 12 M per year, so I believe that's about market value for a good but non star center and, barring some desperate GM, something along those lines should be enough to keep Poeltl long term.

BackHome
04-21-2022, 08:15 PM
Trade Poodle and we will definitely tank and 2023 hopefully get us a All Star or at least something close to an All Star - Were not close to winning or even beating Play In teams so why get stuck drafting in 9, 10, 11, 12, range? I am for tearing the band aid off real fast which means trade him and Landale and Collins can play Center so be it.

CGD
04-21-2022, 09:24 PM

I’m increasingly of the view that spurs should consider extending Jak at this point. They missed the window to trade him at the deadline, and he’s the only other player that is on “Murray’s timeline” at this point.

Seventyniner
04-21-2022, 10:38 PM
I’m increasingly of the view that spurs should consider extending Jak at this point. They missed the window to trade him at the deadline, and he’s the only other player that is on “Murray’s timeline” at this point.

Getting him to sign an extension would probably make him even more valuable in a trade. At least if I'm right about how non-rookie contract extensions work, where they can only start at a certain percentage (120%?) of the salary at the end of the existing contract.

Poeltl at $9.4M is a bargain, but he will be an expiring contract next season without an extension. With one he can provide several years of good value to another team, potentially increasing what they would be willing to offer.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-22-2022, 12:30 AM
That's highly contingent on whichever deal gets done, if any. I'm in favor of exploring options that add youth and talent at positions in need of it, but it's not like we need to dump him, so unless the right offer comes along (again, the proposed Charlotte deal seemed good all around IMO) you hold on to him. Boston extended Robert Williams at around $ 12 M per year, so I believe that's about market value for a good but non star center and, barring some desperate GM, something along those lines should be enough to keep Poeltl long term.

Agree about Poeltl, if they can keep him at around $12-14 mil per this would be good value, especially considering the increasing cap in the next few years.

mystargtr34
04-22-2022, 12:37 AM
Great point about Jak. He’s at the tipping point now where his contract situation starts reducing his trade value due to it becoming expiring.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-22-2022, 05:49 AM
Extend Poeltl, but I don’t get too excited about trading him unless the Spurs have fully addressed the giant void that will then exist trying to defend the paint without him. He’s on another level from our other fives, and this team will be taking a big step back without someone of his caliber inside.

exstatic
04-22-2022, 06:39 AM
Trades are announced sometime after the pick. The Mikal Bridges situation is very representative of this, and also hilarious. He was picked at 10 by Philadelphia, with him being from Philadelphia and his mother even worked for the 76ers. They even interviewed him and his mom, and they were going overboard about how much it meant to him to be there... only to find out later on during the draft that he was actually part of a trade and on his way to Phoenix. In the end it worked out great for him, but that's one funny draft moment that illustrates these situations that happen with draft day trades.

Which is why people need to temper their reactions to any of our picks until the draft is over and they turn out the lights. Anywhere between 1 and 3 picks could be on the move.

Dejounte
04-22-2022, 06:40 AM
Basketball is a team sport. Increased synergy elevates individual performances. Better help defense and boxing out will make Poeltl look a lot better.

Dejounte
04-22-2022, 06:43 AM
With that said, folks who say the Spurs have to be more talented from #1 to #15 are clueless and misguided. You only have to be talent heavy at the top. From there, it trickles down and makes everyone better.

exstatic
04-22-2022, 06:44 AM
Extend Poeltl, but I don’t get too excited about trading him unless the Spurs have fully addressed the giant void that will then exist trying to defend the paint without him. He’s on another level from our other fives, and this team will be taking a big step back without someone of his caliber inside.

That would have been true in November or February, but Zollins showed himself to be a plus paint protector.

Sell high on Jak. Draft a young center, and have him apprentice under Zollins for the remainder of his bargain contract.

SAGirl
04-22-2022, 07:49 AM
I agree 100%.
Consider that in the White trade, the Spurs got back a suitable replacement for his minutes in Richardson. I believe the Spurs specifically asked for him back in that trade.
I believe in a Jakob trade they’ll want some center back that can give them some minutes. Even if they draft a center, which they might very well do, rookies usually need some seasoning and you also aren’t sure how good they will be until you see them in games, so it’s a risk to go into the season without any veteran center in the team, even a mediocre one. The hope is your rookie shows promise and you can start feeding him starter minutes, but if he’s not ready and needs some time, you have somebody that can keep you afloat.

If Jakob is traded without a suitable replacement for him, the team will definitely take a step back. I wouldn’t mind the tankathon, but I worry about Murray at this point. He’s also coming up on his own extension next season and I think he’ll want to at least see the Spurs have some plan and semblance to get better within his timeline (kind of like Lavine did putting the pressure on Chicago to make moves to get better and not just rely entirely on the draft.) Specially for a team that will not tank, they will have to turn their assets into some help, not simply “reset the clock on Jakob because we don’t want to pay him.”

Who are the Spurs going to be paying instead tbh? So just his contract is not enough to not resign Jakob IMO. Now, if his agent is telling you he wants to test the market next summer as an UFA, then that’s a reason to trade him though I am not sure what you will get back at that point.

Ocotillo
04-22-2022, 08:02 AM
I dunno about relying Collins. I liked what I have seen from him but I always feel like I am holding my breath waiting for an ankle to explode.

Ariel
04-22-2022, 10:09 AM
Which is why people need to temper their reactions to any of our picks until the draft is over and they turn out the lights. Anywhere between 1 and 3 picks could be on the move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uc37rMkxh0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uLPi53mTmo
:lol

rascal
04-22-2022, 10:37 AM
I said before and during that draft that the Spurs should have targeted Mikal Bridges in a trade and I said this before the draft(trade into a position to draft him as he is the target) or if not then during the draft.

JPB
04-22-2022, 10:55 AM
I say extend Jak. Not because he's a this peak value that you should trade him for the sake of it, with no real alternative to take his spot other than Collins (33) who isn't better and would then leave a hole and the bench...

He's culture now with DJM and will play more freely if he knows he's there for the long term... There's a reason why his value is at its peak, that's because he's pretty good at what he does. Centers take longer time to develop and I'm not really confident with Collins+ a rook as our center rotation.

rascal
04-22-2022, 11:22 AM

Did the NBA change the rules for trading picks recently? I know they do it the way you stated above now. I do remember in the past David Stern announcing a trade of the pick to another team and the new team then makes the draft pick.

rascal
04-22-2022, 11:28 AM
I say extend Jak. Not because he's a this peak value that you should trade him for the sake of it, with no real alternative to take his spot other than Collins (33) who isn't better and would then leave a hole and the bench...

He's culture now with DJM and will play more freely if he knows he's there for the long term... There's a reason why his value is at its peak, that's because he's pretty good at what he does. Centers take longer time to develop and I'm not really confident with Collins+ a rook as our center rotation.

They could draft his replacement this year. The team is not stagnant as there will be changes. The spurs need to change the current core of this team. It's a non playoff team and no where near a contender as constructed. Expecting everyone to improve is not the way to go. The spurs need a go to scorer and star player, as it lacks scoring punch and athleticism. The league and best teams are driven by the star players and the Spurs don't have these type of players on the current roster.

baseline bum
04-22-2022, 11:35 AM

What do you envision getting for him? I'd want a late lottery pick and a not too bad filler contract. Wouldn't move him for a pick in the 20s unless the filler contract for cap matching purposes is someone interesting. No matter what I'd want the Spurs picking best available though, not trying to draft for position when the team is still pretty sparse on talent.

T Park
04-22-2022, 06:12 PM
What do you envision getting for him? I'd want a late lottery pick and a not too bad filler contract. Wouldn't move him for a pick in the 20s unless the filler contract for cap matching purposes is someone interesting. No matter what I'd want the Spurs picking best available though, not trying to draft for position when the team is still pretty sparse on talent.

Agree with this. H
Just curious the replacement for him like Scott.

scott
04-22-2022, 10:06 PM

Another great point. There is no reason to dump Jak for the sake of dumping him. I've seen talk of getting 13 or 15 from CHA for him. Okay... then what? Someone needs to play C... at least one would assume.

Biggems
04-22-2022, 10:28 PM
Every year I try to pick out UFA prospects. I screamed for Fred VanVleet, and got laughed at. I called for Max Strus and got laughed at, and now he's starting for the #1 team in the Eastern Conference. Last year Kenyon Martin Jr., but he wound up going at 52 or 53. This year it seems that Andrew Nembhard is being overlooked (though we won't know until draft night). If his name doesn't get called, I would absolutely have some kind of contract waiting for him - at least a two-way to get him into the gym.

I actually like Terrence Shannon. He's a big, strong kid who can handle contact, and he can shoot open 3's. But if I'm being honest, I think he's G-League fodder. Not a bad idea, though.

I'm a HUGE fan of Auburn's program, and I liked Flanigan last year, but I didn't keep up with him. I don't know what happened to him this year, though. Do you? If it was an injury, he might be someone who could make it on someone's bench.

I more than half expect Trayce Jackson-Davis to get called by someone in the second round. If he doesn't, he's probably at least worth a two-way.

I've also been a fan of Baylor products in the recent past, but not Matthew Mayer.

Carlos Alocen? Did you read that in an article somewhere? Be honest. :lol

I like Mayer as a catch and shoot player. I also like the 6 fouls he has available to waste to preserve a key player.

Alocen, saw his name on a draft site and so I watched some of his videos. I liked what I saw. He isn't a world beater, hence the UDFA. Still, I think he could make some noise in the SL.

Mr. Body
04-22-2022, 11:10 PM
As a note, Poeltl was the #9 pick. Granted, it was in 2016 when the league was still evolving. But dumping him for a #13 or #15 pick is very much underselling what he can do in the league right now.

rascal
04-22-2022, 11:12 PM
As a note, Poeltl was the #9 pick. Granted, it was in 2016 when the league was still evolving. But dumping him for a #13 or #15 pick is very much underselling what he can do in the league right now.

You can't say that's underselling when the drafts are different. This draft is deeper with better players.

You can get Duren at 9 and Agbaji at 13 and dump Walker.

Mr. Body
04-22-2022, 11:18 PM
You can't say that's underselling when the drafts are different. This draft is deeper with better players.

You can get Duren at 9 and Agbaji at 13 and dump Walker.

That would be awful. I could only hope Duren will be as good as Poeltl in several years and I wouldn't pick Ogbaji until the 20s.

rascal
04-23-2022, 09:12 AM
That would be awful. I could only hope Duren will be as good as Poeltl in several years and I wouldn't pick Ogbaji until the 20s.

Ogbaji would immediately start at the 2 and is better than what the Spurs have at the 2.

Poeltl has no vertical lift. Not an imposing defender or rebounder. Duren is already better in that area. Poeltl has a nice offensive game around the basket but not a great finisher on the break. Poeltl can make an occasional block or stop because of his height and lenght but he isn't going to intimate many going to the basket.

Duren would be an adequate replacement with greater upside.

The Spurs need to make some changes to the current roster because they lack star talent, shooting and athleticism as compared with other teams.

You're going to have to move some players to make these changes or you're just going to stay with the current roster and hope players develop into stars and I don't see anyone developing into a top player in the league on the current roster..

Dejounte
04-23-2022, 09:23 AM
A college player who hasn’t spent a minute on an NBA court is supposedly a better defender right now than Poeltl :lmao

Making baseless claims such as the upcoming draft class is better than an older one is about as foolish as it gets.

then years later, it’s like amnesia. Nothing learned. Nothing preventing them from saying the same stupid shit again. Every year is supposedly better.

no one likes to play the long game. It’s today. Everything now. I want it now. What I see now only matters. How the fuck do you guys manage your bills and investments?

does anyone understand the concept of building ON something? Is it always destruction and reconstruction?

rascal
04-23-2022, 09:33 AM
A college player who hasn’t spent a minute on an NBA court is supposedly a better defender right now than Poeltl :lmao

Making baseless claims such as the upcoming draft class is better than an older one is about as foolish as it gets.

then years later, it’s like amnesia. Nothing learned. Nothing preventing them from saying the same stupid shit again. Every year is supposedly better.

no one likes to play the long game. It’s today. Everything now. I want it now. What I see now only matters. How the fuck do you guys manage your bills and investments?

does anyone understand the concept of building ON something? Is it always destruction and reconstruction?

All drafts are not equal.

This year's draft class is better and deeper than last year's.

KingKev
04-23-2022, 10:33 AM
All drafts are not equal.

This year's draft class is better and deeper than last year's.

They aren't but a more fair comparison should be a few years out atleast. This draft by season’s end looks much better than it did as recent as Dec 21.

XDT76
04-23-2022, 10:35 AM
Ogbaji would immediately start at the 2 and is better than what the Spurs have at the 2.

Poeltl has no vertical lift. Not an imposing defender or rebounder. Duren is already better in that area. Poeltl has a nice offensive game around the basket but not a great finisher on the break. Poeltl can make an occasional block or stop because of his height and lenght but he isn't going to intimate many going to the basket.

Duren would be an adequate replacement with greater upside.

The Spurs need to make some changes to the current roster because they lack star talent, shooting and athleticism as compared with other teams.

You're going to have to move some players to make these changes or you're just going to stay with the current roster and hope players develop into stars and I don't see anyone developing into a top player in the league on the current roster..

If those 2 are already better or equal than what we already have, how would they be available at 9 and 13?

rascal
04-23-2022, 11:15 AM
If those 2 are already better or equal than what we already have, how would they be available at 9 and 13?

Because neither Primo nor Poeltl would go before the top 9 in this draft.

Ogbaji already has a more polished game than Primo, Primo wouldn't be getting drafted at 13 now.

JPB
04-23-2022, 11:41 AM
They could draft his replacement this year. The team is not stagnant as there will be changes. The spurs need to change the current core of this team. It's a non playoff team and no where near a contender as constructed. Expecting everyone to improve is not the way to go. The spurs need a go to scorer and star player, as it lacks scoring punch and athleticism. The league and best teams are driven by the star players and the Spurs don't have these type of players on the current roster.

Ok but what replacement? Who? Who's gonna bring even a shadow of what Jak or even Collins bring? Not any rook, that's for sure...This is robbing Peter to pay Paul... Some peeps want to trade Jak to get some scoring power by massively downgrading on defense... There's 5 guys on the court.

BackHome
04-23-2022, 02:03 PM
Collins and Landale would start and it’s not just trading Poodle to trade him for two reasons one his contract is coming up and it’s going to cost a lot of money and two if a team offers you a good trade you look at and evaluate it. So just for kicks as some posters have mentioned you trade Poodle to Charlotte for there 13 , and 15th pick and you give Charlotte our 20 and 25 pick and some feller of course. No matter who we pick your right we would probably have a worse year in 2023 but that’s OK it’s not like we’re anywhere close to winning he’ll we can’t even win a Play in game. So sometimes you take a foot backwards in order to make future Progress.

If were able to get into top 4 and then have a 13th and 15th the message board would shut down for weeks. Then you add that our rookies will get a lot of G League live and were probably looking at a top 6 pick in 2023.

KingKev
04-23-2022, 03:20 PM
Collins and Landale would start and it’s not just trading Poodle to trade him for two reasons one his contract is coming up and it’s going to cost a lot of money and two if a team offers you a good trade you look at and evaluate it. So just for kicks as some posters have mentioned you trade Poodle to Charlotte for there 13 , and 15th pick and you give Charlotte our 20 and 25 pick and some feller of course. No matter who we pick your right we would probably have a worse year in 2023 but that’s OK it’s not like we’re anywhere close to winning he’ll we can’t even win a Play in game. So sometimes you take a foot backwards in order to make future Progress.

If were able to get into top 4 and then have a 13th and 15th the message board would shut down for weeks. Then you add that our rookies will get a lot of G League live and were probably looking at a top 6 pick in 2023.

Yikes. I’m all for testing the market for Jak but I’d like a D White return or better and I think that is possible this offseason. Two ten spot pick swaps is not enough.

Collins and Landale as the starting 4 and 5 may be one of the worst starting front courts of recent memory. That with Keldon at the 3, Vassell at the 2 and DJ running point is a sured 15-20 win team. Guaranteed high % top 3 pick so also not against it.

TD 21
04-23-2022, 03:50 PM
The Kings have the 7th worst record. If they end up with 7th pick and Mathurin is still on the board . . .

To Hornets: Poeltl, Celtics 1st

To Kings: Richardson, Washington Jr., Spurs 1st, Raptors 1st

To Spurs: Barnes, Jones, Kings 1st, Hornets/Hawks 1st

Starters: Barnes, Johnson, Collins, Vassell, Murray

Bench: Mathurin, McDermott, Hartenstein, T. Jones, Primo, K. Jones, Hornets/Hawks 1st

KingKev
04-23-2022, 04:02 PM
The Kings have the 7th worst record. If they end up with 7th pick and Mathurin is still on the board . . .

To Hornets: Poeltl, Celtics 1st

To Kings: Richardson, Washington Jr., Spurs 1st, Raptors 1st

To Spurs: Barnes, Jones, Kings 1st, Hornets/Hawks 1st

Starters: Barnes, Johnson, Collins, Vassell, Murray

Bench: Mathurin, McDermott, Hartenstein, T. Jones, Primo, K. Jones, Hornets/Hawks 1st

I’d rather part out Jak and JRich seperatlely for further out FRPs. At best that starting lineup will get us right back to the play-in!!!

TD 21
04-23-2022, 04:17 PM
I’d rather part out Jak and JRich seperatlely for further out FRPs. At best that starting lineup will get us right back to the play-in!!!

They're not interested in tanking though and even if they were, they'd have a tough time getting top odds.

So within' the confines of what they're trying to do, this makes a lot of sense.

If Mathurin can become a star, great. If not, keep building up the depth to have a package to trade for one and still have enough left over to have an appealing team.

XDT76
04-23-2022, 07:08 PM
Because neither Primo nor Poeltl would go before the top 9 in this draft.

Ogbaji already has a more polished game than Primo, Primo wouldn't be getting drafted at 13 now.

U said Ogbaji is better than what we have at 2. When all are healthy Vassell is our starting 2. Also you must be dreaming to think that the current Poeltl would not be drafted in top 10.

rascal
04-23-2022, 07:15 PM
U said Ogbaji is better than what we have at 2. When all are healthy Vassell is our starting 2. Also you must be dreaming to think that the current Poeltl would not be drafted in top 10.

No, Primo and Walker are the SG. Ogbaji is better than those guys.

XDT76
04-23-2022, 07:34 PM

Go look up the line up when McD is not injuried after the DW trade.

T Park
04-24-2022, 03:11 AM

Devin Vassell was literally the starter from the trade deadline to the end of the season….

The Truth #6
04-24-2022, 09:50 AM
GM Wright has work to do to make sense of his roster. At the trade deadline I was excited to make any trades but upon further review, yeah, let’s not give him away. He’s our best obvious trade asset.

It could easily drag out until the next season trade deadline but I would think they have more leverage this Summer, maybe, when our intentions are less obvious. I like Kai. Less of PJ the more I see his stats. And then of course who gets drafted? But it’s hard to see the team starting a rookie or Jock next year. So I see them holding onto Yak more than starting Duren or Jock. I think. But we’ll see. I definitely think they should trade rather than give Yak a big raise.

I actually have some confidence in Wright now. Might actually be exciting on draft day for the first time ever.

Michael Jordan.
04-24-2022, 10:02 AM
Man, if Rockets get the first pick, or whomever does, I don’t think you can go wrong with Jabari, Banchero, or Chet.

Michael Jordan.
04-24-2022, 10:05 AM
I mean Jesus
54IdlteBHJI

rascal
04-24-2022, 12:59 PM
I expect Jabari Smith to be the number 1 pick.