PDA

View Full Version : Ogbaji

rascal
04-20-2022, 07:48 PM
I'm not seeing much on this board about him. He could be an excellent fit at the 2 for the Spurs. He would be the starting SG right away.

He's better than Primo. He's quicker and more explosive and has a better looking shot.

A solid 3 and D player with quickness and can play above the rim on lob passes.

Not bad for the 9th pick but would like the Spurs to make a trade with Charlotte for the 13th pick and get him there.

KingKev
04-20-2022, 08:06 PM
There are entire threads committed to the draft.

ZeusWillJudge
04-20-2022, 08:28 PM
I wasn't sold on him, and I don't want the Spurs to draft small. He's got sort of a loose handle, and he's not a very willing/good passer. He's old. And I'm always skeptical of Kansas recruits because they aren't exactly known for fundamentals.

All that being said, if they're going to draft an old 2-guard, they could do a lot worse. Personally, I don't buy into the idea that a guy who stays in college all 4 years can never be a lottery pick. He can shoot. Dammit, he can shoot. I don't know what kind of defender he can be in the NBA, but my gut says he'll work at it - unlike another 2 guard that has been on this team twice. He's tall enough to legitimately play the 2 in the NBA - unlike another 2 guard that has been on this team twice.

I've been trying to look at all the video I can find, and that's hard since so much of it is highlight reel stuff. But if it's part of a coordinated plan for this offseason, fire away. I would throw him on the floor at the 2 as a rookie, if Lonnie is history and there's not a seasoned vet in the wings. Get the learning process started. I don't think he'll be a star, but I think he'll be solid. And he can shoot. He'll absolutely put points on the board.

Good on you for bringing him up.

There are entire threads committed to the draft.

I hear you. But sometimes a guy who hasn't gotten any attention will get lost at the bottom of a discussion. Maybe other people mind, but I don't.

The combine will help clarify some of this.

Mr. Body
04-20-2022, 08:36 PM
Draft Thread ===============>

BatManu20
04-20-2022, 08:50 PM
He’s 22 + Draft thread

rascal
04-20-2022, 09:32 PM
I see 9 pages of Jalen Duren

That wasn't a problem

The Truth #6
04-20-2022, 10:21 PM
I actually prefer different threads for different players like it used to be. It feels like every year, ok the last two years, there’s a senior who gets overlooked and ends up being a stud. Worth a look with our second FRP but he’s probably gone already.

The Truth #6
04-20-2022, 10:32 PM
I see 9 pages of Jalen Duren

That wasn't a problem

Ha. One great way to keep this thread going would be to say that he’s better than Primo will ever be. But of course I would never imply that. That would trigger people.

KingKev
04-20-2022, 10:38 PM
I actually prefer different threads for different players like it used to be.

Dejounte you are up bro!!!

PhantomDashCam
04-20-2022, 10:48 PM
Word is that his growth plates have seized. Spurs are on it though…

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41i6aPw7X8L._AC_.jpg

mystargtr34
04-20-2022, 10:55 PM
I’m a fan of Agbaji. 9 is a reach would love him with 20 but he won’t drop past 16 (Atlanta) and might go as high as the Knicks at 11. Thibs loves defensive and tough guys especially who can shoot. But the Knicks also need a C if Robinson isn’t re-signed. Charlotte could pick Ochai at 15 too after they take a Duren or Williams at 13.

Tough to find a comparison for Agbaji. Reminds of a prime Danny Green on steroids. More polished and complete offensive game. Similar defensive stopper potential and lights out shooting but with a better in between game and finishing in at the rim.

rascal
04-21-2022, 09:24 AM
I’m a fan of Agbaji. 9 is a reach would love him with 20 but he won’t drop past 16 (Atlanta) and might go as high as the Knicks at 11. Thibs loves defensive and tough guys especially who can shoot. But the Knicks also need a C if Robinson isn’t re-signed. Charlotte could pick Ochai at 15 too after they take a Duren or Williams at 13.

Tough to find a comparison for Agbaji. Reminds of a prime Danny Green on steroids. More polished and complete offensive game. Similar defensive stopper potential and lights out shooting but with a better in between game and finishing in at the rim.

If both Williams and Duren are both gone by Charlotte's pick at 13 they might look into a trade for Poeltl where the spurs can then get the 13th pick. The Spurs play is to take Duren at 9 if they hear word Williams is going to go before the Charlotte pick and then trade Poeltl to Charlotte to get 13.

So what's better Poeltl and 9 or Duren and 13?

Ariel
04-21-2022, 10:05 AM
If your goal is setting up a team, at a certain point point you HAVE to look at something OTHER than 6'4" - 6'6" guards / wings like Vassell, Richardson, Primo, Langord, etc... despite some difference in skill sets, they're all largely filling the same role, fighting for the same playing time, while there are HUGE holes left to fill.

I would be ok with that if we were talking about a true difference maker (I don't see one at this draft at 9) or a bet with huge upside (Sharpe at 9), but Agbaji with our own pick IMO would be a wasted opportunity to use one of the (possibly) last (relatively) high lottery picks the Spurs will have in the near term to either balance the roster and / or significantly raise its potential.

Now if you were saying that he'd somehow drop to 20, then he'd be very tempting because he does check a lot of the boxes (particularly with his shooting) to the point where the pick's value would be high even if it generates a short term problem, but that would seem like a very distant possibility considering he'd have to be passed by teams like Washington, Charlotte, Cleveland, Atlanta, Chicago and Minnesota, who could all use an already mature 2 with his skill set, so I'd be shocked if he's there at 20.

So that's a no to Agbaji at 9, but I would be fine with it if we got him with one of the later picks (very unlikely IMO).

XDT76
04-21-2022, 10:33 AM
Are we really going to have a team from 1 to 5 playing 6'5 to 6'6 catch and shoot 3s, decent defender, average athletism and poor penetration players.

rascal
04-26-2022, 09:20 PM
Are we really going to have a team from 1 to 5 playing 6'5 to 6'6 catch and shoot 3s, decent defender, average athletism and poor penetration players.

No, going to move Walker to add Ogbaji. He will be a great fit, can do it all at the 2. Need to trade with Charlotte Poeltl to get the 13 pick to get him there, if the Spurs stay at 9 and at 9 take Duren.

If top 4 take Sharpe then.

Mr. Body
04-26-2022, 09:47 PM

I think we need players who can shoot 3s first.

BatManu20
04-27-2022, 12:48 AM
No, going to move Walker to add Ogbaji. He will be a great fit, can do it all at the 2. Need to trade with Charlotte Poeltl to get the 13 pick to get him there, if the Spurs stay at 9 and at 9 take Duren.

If top 4 take Sharpe then.

Charlotte aren’t trading their First Pick for a guy with only one year left on his contract. And I don’t think Spurs want to trade Jak anyways unless it’s for an offer they can’t refuse. They’ll likely stay put with all 4 picks and select their guy at each spot.

lebomb
04-27-2022, 07:08 AM
Im all for Duren and Ogbaji, really dont care how we get there. Trade away.

XDT76
04-27-2022, 07:41 AM

Let's see we have KJ, DV, JR and McD shooting 3s above league average. DjM improving his 3FG% season by season and as this season progress and JP reworking his 3pt shooting. Yap we sure need 3pt shooting first. It not as if we have needs at rebounding, interior and help defence and penetration.

rascal
04-27-2022, 08:33 AM
Charlotte aren’t trading their First Pick for a guy with only one year left on his contract. And I don’t think Spurs want to trade Jak anyways unless it’s for an offer they can’t refuse. They’ll likely stay put with all 4 picks and select their guy at each spot.

They have already discussed a trade for Poeltl so there is interest.

If the Spurs draft Duren at 9 Charlotte may look at Poeltl as the best option for their 13th pick. Then take Ogbaji at 13. Go bigs at the 20 and 25.

exstatic
04-27-2022, 08:52 AM

Unassisted 3s. McD shot a good percentage (.422), but with no 'gravity' player, it's easy to switch everything and deny him looks at the basket, or run him off the line. 99% of his 3PA are assisted. He'd be a much better fit on a contender with a high level star or superstar.

exstatic
04-27-2022, 08:59 AM

They would probably stayed in the top 6 if they had made that trade, and with New Orleans' surprise playoff appearance, have literally had pick #15 drop into their lap. It's free money. They should have traded for him at the deadline, and while he's only got a year left, he's a high producing advanced stats guy who doesn't need the ball a lot to impact the game, and this year would be a frikkin steal for CHA, salary wise.