PDA

View Full Version : NBA referee is whistling a different tune

Jimcs50
11-29-2005, 09:13 AM
Nov. 28, 2005, 11:58PM
NBA referee is whistling a different tune

By FRAN BLINEBURY
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Joe Crawford is a classic Philly guy. Which means he doesn't suffer fools.

So you can imagine how he suffered on that February night a few years back in Salt Lake City when he tossed then-Rocket Steve Francis out of a game against the Utah Jazz in the second quarter.

"I thought I saw him hit (John) Stockton in the face with an elbow and, bang, I hit him with a technical," said the veteran NBA official. "The problem was that Stevie had already gotten one earlier, and that meant he was gone.

"I felt bad. The kid was so on that night. He was making every shot. It looked like he was going to break Wilt's 100-point record for a game. Then after the game I looked at the tape, and I felt even worse. I was sick to my stomach. He never touched him. It was the worst ejection of my life."

After all of the years, all of the trips up and down the hardwood courts and all of the whistles, there are bound to have been calls that were blown. Nobody
knows that better than the 54-year-old Crawford, who officiated his 2,000th NBA game on Nov. 11 in his hometown and became only the fifth referee in league history to reach that milestone.

He is profane and sarcastic, combative and comical and, according to most expert observers, the best referee in the game today.

It has been an amazing ride for the kid who was cut from his high school team but grew up as a self-described "basketball degenerate." Yet he has followed a path that almost seemed predestined. Officiating is in the blood.

Sibling insight
His father, Henry "Shag" Crawford, was one of the elite umpires in Major League Baseball for 19 seasons and frequently took a young Joe to the ballpark to meet the likes of Willie Mays and Hank Aaron. His brother, Jerry, has umped in the big leagues since 1976, calling five World Series and 11 League Championship Series. He was the crew chief during Game 2 of this year's ALCS when A.J. Pierzynski struck out in the bottom of the ninth against the Los Angeles Angels, but the ball was (maybe) dropped, and the Chicago White Sox started their run to the title.

"Yeah, I talked to my brother about that call," Joe Crawford said. "I asked him if that play was kinda like a guy flopping in our league. It's close. You've got to make a call. He told me that was a pretty good comparison.

"Hey, that's the way we are in our family. We sit around and watch games together on TV and while everyone else out there is looking at the players, we're watching the officials."

His dad took him to NBA games, and he studied the likes of Mendy Rudolph. He spent his teenage years at Philadelphia's Palestra learning the moves and the positioning of Steve Honzo and Lou Borden. He called youth league games, married his wife, Mary, at 21 and worked for the U.S. Postal Service during the days and refereed at night, sometimes getting $40 to call an old Eastern League game.

'Totally petrified'
Crawford reached the NBA in 1977 and worked his first game as part of a two-man crew with veteran Jack Madden.

"I was 25 years old, totally petrified and totally (expletive) stupid," he said. "Jack just kept telling me, 'Don't worry, you'll get through it. I'll get you there.'

"That's the way it was in those days. There was no manual like there is today. There was no program for officials. We had none of the constant video review of today. You just went out there with with guys like Madden and Earl Strom and Joe Gushue and Jake O'Donnell. You followed their lead, tried to make them happy."

Anger management
Crawford thrived but also developed an early reputation for having a hair-trigger temper, handing out technical fouls and ejections freely.

"I always wanted guys to respect me, but not fear me because I'd ruin the game," he said. "Finally I went to Joe Gushue, who was always my mentor, and I asked him what was wrong.

"He was always such a great guy, a wonderful, nice man. But he came straight at me like a sledgehammer and said, 'Joe, you're what's wrong. You have the problem.' It was a real wake-up call."

Crawford took anger management classes and his stock in the league rose rapidly. He has worked 252 playoff games and 36 NBA Finals games. His first Finals appearance was in Houston during the Rockets-Celtics series of 1986. In the last 17 years, there have only been two Game 7s in the NBA Finals — Rockets-Knicks in 1994 and Spurs-Pistons in 2005 — and he has worked both.

"When I first came into the league, Jake O'Donnell pulled me aside and said, 'If you're ever lucky enough to get a Game 7 in the Finals, savor it, because it's something very, very special.' Those words were in my ears that night in Houston when I walked out onto the court. It will always be a highlight of my career."

It's a career that has changed dramatically during his 29 seasons in the league, becoming less intuitive and much more professional. League observers view every game live and file a report. The referees get DVDs of the games and review and grade every call.

"We love instant replay, believe it or not," Crawford said. "Because the most important thing is to get it right. We don't want to decide the games or leave doubt.

"It was definitely easier back in the old days. But there wasn't a finality to it. I would walk into the locker room after a game and ask Earl Strom, 'What did you think about that goaltend call?' He'd say it was a good call or not. But who really knew?

"Now, I can watch the video and say, wow, I got it right. We're not winging it anymore. It's a craft."

Love that Barkley
Charles Barkley is his all-time favorite personality, and he loved swapping baseball stories with Larry Bird.

Crawford would like one myth laid to rest.

"There are no superstar calls," he said. "We don't root for certain teams. We don't cheat. But sometimes we just miss calls."

And when that happens?

"The next time I got the Rockets after that game in Utah, I walked right up to Stevie Francis and said, 'That was the worst ejection of my life.'

"He just smiled at me and said, 'Thanks, Joe. I needed to hear that.' "

__________________________________________________ _______________

Joey has always been one of my favorite refs.

pache100
11-29-2005, 09:20 AM
"I thought I saw him hit (John) Stockton in the face with an elbow and, bang, I hit him with a technical," said the veteran NBA official. "The problem was that Stevie had already gotten one earlier, and that meant he was gone.

"I felt bad. The kid was so on that night. He was making every shot. It looked like he was going to break Wilt's 100-point record for a game. Then after the game I looked at the tape, and I felt even worse. I was sick to my stomach. He never touched him. It was the worst ejection of my life."

I am NOT a Steve Francis fan, but this is a great example of why these jerks need to come down off their god complex and think about some of the calls they are making and what the long-range, far-reaching effects can be.

polandprzem
11-29-2005, 09:45 AM
Dan Cawford is my favorite referee :)

No superstars calls? Who agees with that?

1Parker1
11-29-2005, 09:56 AM
Joe Crawford is a classic Philly guy. Which means he doesn't suffer fools.

:tu That's right! Don't mess with Philadelphians..!

Jimcs50
11-29-2005, 09:57 AM
Dan Cawford is my favorite referee :)

No superstars calls? Who agees with that?

Besides MJ?

Maybe so.

50 cent
11-29-2005, 11:51 AM
Joey is a great ref. :tu

wildbill2u
11-29-2005, 12:06 PM
I'll always remember that last second game winning shot against Utah by MJ--because he clearly cleared out his defender by pushing him with the left hand so hard he stumbled backward.

A ref that made that call would probably never referee another NBA game, much less a playoff.

Sure, the refs don't want to make the decision on a game ending call in the Championships--but does that mean there are no rules in the last minute-especially for retiring superstars?

pache100
11-29-2005, 12:09 PM
Sure, the refs don't want to make the decision on a game ending call in the Championships--but does that mean there are no rules in the last minute-especially for retiring superstars?

That is my major complaint with the system. All the rules should apply to all the players all the time. There should be no "veteran" calls, no "rookie" calls, no "make-up" calls, no "retaliation" calls. There should only be calls for infractions of the rules, and those calls should be made 100% of the time. I can allow for human error on the part of the referees, but every effort should be made.

TDMVPDPOY
11-29-2005, 01:47 PM
i think the nba should go out and hire those morons that did the athens bball games, most of them probaly dont give a shit cose english is not their first language, and they will call fouls out of nowhere, then tim duncan will go out again fuck this

whottt
11-29-2005, 03:36 PM
I agree with Poland...Danny Crawford is the absolute best ref in the game today. Joey is too quick with the whistles and T's, but he is the best after Danny Crawford. And after those two, believe it or not I think it's Steve Javie now.

Bennet Salvatore and Dick Bavetta are the worst of course.

pache100
11-29-2005, 03:40 PM

:tu

polandprzem
11-29-2005, 03:44 PM
I agree with Poland...Danny Crawford is the absolute best ref in the game today. Joey is too quick with the whistles and T's, but he is the best after Danny Crawford. And after those two, believe it or not I think it's Steve Javie now.

What about Ed F. Rush ?

TwoHandJam
11-29-2005, 04:33 PM
What about Violet Palmer? And lets not forget Jack Nies.

Geno Billy
11-29-2005, 04:43 PM
I like Joey Crawford and his brother brother Danny. :D

FromWayDowntown
11-29-2005, 06:56 PM

I don't know how anyone can really dispute that Danny Crawford is the best. I also think Javie is excellent, though I'd put him 2nd among the league's officials. Javie is amazingly consistent these days and rarely seems to miss something significant. I would actually put Bob Delaney and Joey Crawford in a tie for 3rd, and I think there are some younger officials (Joe Derosa and Mike Callahan in particular) who are quite good and will be among the best for years to come.

Curiously, the league doesn't seem to hold any of them (other than Joey) in the same regard that I do. According to the league, the best officials do the biggest games. I read somewhere that the league decides the Finals rotation by assigning its 3 best officials to Games 3 and 4 to ensure that they'll be the crew should there be a Game 7. Last year, those 3 were Joey Crawford, Dick Bavetta, and Eddie F. Rush. I don't see how Bavetta or Rush are even close to Danny Crawford or Javie, but I don't watch every game. Maybe I miss something along the way. Rush and Bavetta get that gig, I think, because they are the master game manipulators among officials. Rush was busted a couple of years ago checking on how many fouls Shaq had in a key game, but the league did little or nothing about it. Bavetta is notorious for his game-fixing ways. Neither seems like a great official to me, but in a situation where drama is helpful, the league probably prefers to have those guys available to manufacture something if need be. It's a crappy thing, but I don't doubt that it happens.

Timothy Dunkan
11-29-2005, 07:13 PM
Joe Crawford is a member in 'Circle of 7 fixers'
Love,
Laker Lanny