PDA

View Full Version : Dejounte Recruiting Zach LaVine

BatManu20
04-28-2022, 09:14 PM
DJ not being shy :lol. Is this tampering? Come on down Zachary.

Edit: Dejounte deleted the tweet.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FReqSIOVkAAgBAU?format=jpg&name=large

Mr. Body
04-28-2022, 09:17 PM
Tampering. We're gonna lose draft picks.

scott
04-28-2022, 09:20 PM
Are players able to do stuff like this, just not front offices?

Let's make it happen!

Spurs Talk: Our team sucks!

Also Spurs Talk: IDK if I want Lavine, he'd interfere with Joel Wieskamp's development...

BatManu20
04-28-2022, 09:22 PM

Could be wrong, but don’t believe it’s tampering since Chicago’s season is over and Zach is now a UFA.

Can anyone clarify?

Dejounte
04-28-2022, 09:23 PM
This has been my speculation from the start. The Seattle connection and their friendship was what I strongly put forth as the reason that there’s a chance for this. Folks scoffed at the idea. Not saying it’s going to happen, but all the naysayers and negative Nancy’s are always so loud and obnoxious about how other people are wrong for having any hope. Then they retract all their previous statements and claim there was a caveat to what they said. :lmao

Uriel
04-28-2022, 09:25 PM
Isn't it only tampering if the front office does it? Players are allowed to talk to each other.

scott
04-28-2022, 09:27 PM
If anything, this seems akin to the $75k fine Morey was fined for tweeting at Steph "Join 'Em" when he was congratulating his brother.

But, Steph was under contract and Lavine is a UFA to be.

Would love our resident CBA expert takes on this. Either way, I'm happy to see DJM wanting Lavine. If we could get lucky in the lotto and add a 3rd Seattle guy in Banchero, I think we'd see a huge turnaround to immediate playoff contender.

Degoat
04-28-2022, 09:27 PM
DJs just helping his buddy secure the Max, nothing more.

scott
04-28-2022, 09:28 PM
Isn't it only tampering if the front office does it? Players are allowed to talk to each other.

And does this even count as "talking to each other". DJ just posted a photoshop, he didn't tag Lavine and Lavine isn't part of a convo (on Twitter anyway).

BatManu20
04-28-2022, 09:30 PM

Per NBA.com:

The NBA states that an owner, executive, coach, player or any member of the organization cannot speak to a player signed by another franchise in the hopes of persuading him to sign with their team.

Dejounte
04-28-2022, 09:31 PM
If anything, this seems akin to the $75k fine Morey was fined for tweeting at Steph "Join 'Em" when he was congratulating his brother.

But, Steph was under contract and Lavine is a UFA to be.

Would love our resident CBA expert takes on this. Either way, I'm happy to see DJM wanting Lavine. If we could get lucky in the lotto and add a 3rd Seattle guy in Banchero, I think we'd see a huge turnaround to immediate playoff contender.

If the Spurs get lucky and draft Banchero, that automatically ups the chances of getting LaVine to sign here. Banchero is the first domino that is unlikely to happen. Not getting lucky in the lottery makes it harder.

Ariel
04-28-2022, 09:31 PM
https://nba.nbcsports.com/2022/04/27/report-zach-lavine-to-have-offseason-knee-surgery/
Yup, very few things are as exciting giving a long term max contract to a player with a history of knee problems who is about to have exploratory surgery on his knee. Awesome.

ZeusWillJudge
04-28-2022, 09:33 PM

No, players can get in trouble for tampering. There's a whole set of arcane "rules" about when the team gets in trouble for it, but DJ needs to shut it down.

Ariel
04-28-2022, 09:34 PM
Per NBA.com:

The NBA states that an owner, executive, coach, player or any member of the organization cannot speak to a player signed by another franchise in the hopes of persuading him to sign with their team.
Well, that's free speech... he's expressing his wish out loud. I don't think anyone could reasonably argue tampering because of that.

ZeusWillJudge
04-28-2022, 09:36 PM
And does this even count as "talking to each other". DJ just posted a photoshop, he didn't tag Lavine and Lavine isn't part of a convo (on Twitter anyway).

It counts. DON'T try to mess with a player under contract to another team.

Dejounte
04-28-2022, 09:40 PM
DJ tampering is what our Lakers SRP is for. This is how the Heat lost theirs this year.

DJ gets fined, loses an SRP for his team, hits up Zach and says, “Hey Bro, I Lost $$ Because Of You. You Coming To SA Or What?”

PhantomDashCam
04-28-2022, 09:43 PM
I love DJ but for the leader of such a young team, seems like a pretty foolish thing to do, even w/o there likely being any sanctions and such.

Edit: Did he remove it? DJ having Instagram Baller flashbacks :lol

scott
04-28-2022, 09:44 PM
Well, someone talked to DJ, because he's deleted it.

Mr. Body
04-28-2022, 09:48 PM
Knowing the league and Adam Silver, they're gonna give the Spurs the death penalty. That's what you get for not trading Kawhi where we wanted you to.

SPURt
04-28-2022, 10:02 PM
What is this going to do to Primo’s confidence

poopbox
04-28-2022, 10:05 PM
At least he cares enough to actually recruit somebody...can't fault him for that

Robz4000
04-28-2022, 10:06 PM
:lol the wait has finished, now we know the Spurs will be getting no first round pick this year

GAustex
04-28-2022, 10:12 PM
Is he worth for the cost?

Texas_Ranger
04-28-2022, 10:19 PM
We can become the 2022 chicago bulls. Hurray.

rankingtear
04-28-2022, 10:23 PM
Is he worth for the cost?
50k fine for DJ max likely

exstatic
04-28-2022, 10:25 PM
Per NBA.com:

Somebody needed to tell that to the 2008 US Olympic team. That’s where the Heatles were conceived.

GAustex
04-28-2022, 10:28 PM
50k fine for DJ max likely
Sorry
I was asking if Levine is worth the salary
I guess I am not that big a fan of his
He alright I guess

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-28-2022, 10:32 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/damian-lillard-met-with-lakers-lebron-james-anthony-davis-while-considering-a-possible-trade-request/

Compared to this, DJ's twitter endeavor is harmless prank. NBA's recruiting/tampering has been a joke for a long time.

Joseph Kony
04-28-2022, 10:34 PM
Spurs would have to pay him roughly 36 million a season. Not sure he's worth it, but not sure you turn away the chance to sign a young 25/5/5 all star about to enter his prime who is buddies with your star PG if its there. especially since no one is signing in SA anyway :lol

KingKev
04-28-2022, 10:39 PM
Lol a quick photoshop is hardly tampering. DJ is the voice this team needs.

Also, PATFO should be on notice as DJ wants some fking help. Signing Joe Ingles and drafting 3 culture guys/boy scouts who might become rotational players is not it.

The Truth #6
04-28-2022, 10:41 PM
But if he’s now an UFA, doesn’t that change the situation? Or is he not yet an UFA?

KingKev
04-28-2022, 10:48 PM
Lavine is a max player. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn’t watch the NBA. He is max plus 10m if you are San Antonio. Get your heads out of your asses and realize players aren’t coming here at all via free agency let alone taking a discount.

objective
04-28-2022, 10:56 PM
I posted recently that while the Spurs probably could squeeze out enough room to sign him, a sign and trade wouldn't be the worst result.

Keldon + the Bulls 2025 pick for Lavine. Might have to throw in Langford, gives the Bulls a huge trade exception, gives them something rather than nothing

I'd like Lavine a lot more if the Spurs can move up and take one of the 3 bigs

Anyway

Any tampering probably wouldn't take effect until next season

KingKev
04-28-2022, 11:01 PM
Also DJ and Lavine are both Klutch so his own management probably laughing but at the same time are like delete that shit.

timvp
04-28-2022, 11:05 PM
Eh, that's not enough to get busted for tampering, tbh.

SAGirl
04-28-2022, 11:24 PM
Lol a quick photoshop is hardly tampering. DJ is the voice this team needs.

Also, PATFO should be on notice as DJ wants some fking help. Signing Joe Ingles and drafting 3 culture guys/boy scouts who might become rotational players is not it.
If anything, I think this is the bigger message and picture.

stephen jackson
04-28-2022, 11:48 PM
Doubt it happens but at least it’s fun

Gibbz
04-28-2022, 11:59 PM
LaVine and DJ together would be electric.

offset formation
04-29-2022, 12:14 AM
What is this going to do to Primo’s confidence

He's immune. Haven't you heard he's the youngest player in the NBA?

XDT76
04-29-2022, 12:24 AM
Per NBA.com:

Then why is Heat not slap with penalty. LeBron, Wade and Bosh comes out to say they talk about joining up together including Melo, but Melo rejected them.

XDT76
04-29-2022, 12:30 AM
Lavine is a max player. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn’t watch the NBA. He is max plus 10m if you are San Antonio. Get your heads out of your asses and realize players aren’t coming here at all via free agency let alone taking a discount.

No he is not, to me a player who cannot be effective on both end is not worth MAX. If we anyhow dough out a MAX it' will just destroy our team with no way out of mediocre for the next few years.

John B
04-29-2022, 01:10 AM
I just like that DJM has that connection going for him and he doesn’t shy from using it. I guess Tony recruiting Diaw would be the biggest in terms of building that Beautiful Game, where a passing big man like Diaw was a big centerpiece.

kht
04-29-2022, 01:22 AM
I posted recently that while the Spurs probably could squeeze out enough room to sign him, a sign and trade wouldn't be the worst result.

Keldon + the Bulls 2025 pick for Lavine. Might have to throw in Langford, gives the Bulls a huge trade exception, gives them something rather than nothing

I'd like Lavine a lot more if the Spurs can move up and take one of the 3 bigs

Anyway

Any tampering probably wouldn't take effect until next season

Fuck that... no way I'm giving up a 29th pick who played his butt off to be where he is now. He's hungry. How about McDermott?

objective
04-29-2022, 04:41 AM
Fuck that... no way I'm giving up a 29th pick who played his butt off to be where he is now. He's hungry. How about McDermott?

If they get Lavine, that will be a ton of money. Might not be able to afford to pay both Keldon and Poeltl when their deals are up and then it's Dejounte's turn to get paid after. Can't pay everyone.

The reason I include the Bulls getting their pick back is that I believe that if Lavine leaves the Bulls and considering the age and contracts of DeRozan and Vucevic that the Bulls will be tanking by the time the pick is due, and it's top 10 protected first year then top 8 two more years then it converts to a second.

JPB
04-29-2022, 04:56 AM
https://nba.nbcsports.com/2022/04/27/report-zach-lavine-to-have-offseason-knee-surgery/
Yup, very few things are as exciting giving a long term max contract to a player with a history of knee problems who is about to have exploratory surgery on his knee. Awesome.

Most important post of this thread going unnoticed... Don't know if he delayed surgery not jeopardize his max, hoping he could get butchered under the radar in the offseason but red flag or orange at the minimum.

"According to a source close to the situation, however, LaVine’s knee was “more like 50% and that’s on a good day.’’

"The source also said the maintenance of the knee the past few months was an all-day ordeal, and that there would have been a good number of All-Star-type players that would have shut it down for the season with all LaVine had to deal with. And while LaVine wouldn’t come out and say for sure he was headed for off-season surgery — likely a scope — the source said he will in fact have surgery almost immediately this offseason."

"LaVine was not the same player on the court by the end of the season. In December, he averaged 27.3 points a game with a .650 true shooting percentage. By March, he still put up good numbers — 24.7 points a game on an above average .602 true shooting — but he wasn’t as explosive or using as much of the offense.

"If this is a simple scope job cleaning things up, then LaVine should be back and be himself by the start of training camp. However, if it’s something more serious, he could miss some time next season".

Well...

ZeusWillJudge
04-29-2022, 05:28 AM
But if he’s now an UFA, doesn’t that change the situation? Or is he not yet an UFA?

Last I checked, they still hadn't set a date for the beginning of free agency this year, but they were expecting it to be June 30. Free agency definitely has not begun with the season still in progress.

ZeusWillJudge
04-29-2022, 05:56 AM
Eh, that's not enough to get busted for tampering, tbh.

Remember when Magic Johnson got fined $500K for comparing Giannis to himself when he (Magic) was that age?

Last year, Morey got busted and fined for tampering. Steph had posted something about his brother, and Morey tweeted "Join 'em". That's it - a single tweet "Join 'em".

Draymond got fined for tampering for just making a couple of comments about Devin Booker during the COVID restart. I don't remember the exact words, but it was basically just that Booker needs to get out of Phoenix to someplace he can play great basketball. He didn't even try to entice Booker to come to GSW.

I'm not saying the league will fine DJ for that, but nearly every person here saw his comment as a sort of subtle call for Lavine to come join him in SA. If the league decides that's what he meant, it's exactly tampering. Besides all that, just last year the league enacted new rules saying that they intended to crack down on tampering, and fine teams/players a lot more for doing it.

I know what DJ did was no big deal, but Chicago still has Bird rights, and I'm sure they expect Lavine to re-sign with them. Imagine if he actually did decide to come play in SA. I expect Chicago would be pretty raw about it... and about DJ's comment. Technically it's not illegal to just say the word "hijack" in an airport, either, but it's probably smart to avoid doing it.

Maddog
04-29-2022, 07:47 AM
Per NBA.com:

Is he technically signed by another team at this point?
That said no reason to split hairs and risk anything

TimDunkem
04-29-2022, 08:02 AM
LaVine is meh, but let's not pretend the Spurs could do better in FA*

*Not an endorsement of going after ZL.

exstatic
04-29-2022, 08:37 AM
Sorry
I was asking if Levine is worth the salary
I guess I am not that big a fan of his
He alright I guess

He's a younger version of DDR, plus 3 point shooting. He was in Chicago for a few years, and they never made the playoffs.

tbdog
04-29-2022, 08:42 AM
David West said he was recruited by the Warriors the moment the Spurs were bounced from the playoffs. Does tampering count if both teams are out?

ZeusWillJudge
04-29-2022, 09:02 AM
David West said he was recruited by the Warriors the moment the Spurs were bounced from the playoffs. Does tampering count if both teams are out?

Yes. Free agency has a specified start date.

You may know, but I'm sure a lot of people don't. Teams can't talk to their own free agents during what is called the "moratorium". The idea was to give all the teams an equal chance to pursue free agents. The moratorium was to be sure that teams can't arrange back-door deals with their own free agents before other teams get a shot at them.

Does that get broken? Sure, all this stuff gets broken regularly. I'm just saying that it's smart to try and avoid public comments like this one. Especially after the league put in those new rules, and we don't really know how they're going to enforce them.

Don't confuse that with me saying something bad about DJ's tweet. I don't care. I'm just telling you the rules.

BTW - I remember that part about David West. Lots of us question whether the league enforces its own rules equally. That was a perfect example. West could have made that up... but I don't think so.

XDT76
04-29-2022, 09:17 AM
So many wanted career net negative Forbes and DDR out of the Spurs but now push to pay another career net negative a MAX contract?

Floyd Pacquiao
04-29-2022, 09:30 AM
To be honest I don’t think Lavine is a net negative player in the right situation. I saw him in the Olympics and he was a willing defender and spot up 3 point shooter. He also told pop he’d do what ever he told him to do which is a good sign. He’s not Derozan for sure

exstatic
04-29-2022, 09:38 AM
To be honest I don’t think Lavine is a net negative player in the right situation. I saw him in the Olympics and he was a willing defender and spot up 3 point shooter. He also told pop he’d do what ever he told him to do which is a good sign. He’s not Derozan for sure

He's not been a great defender for most of his career, and that makes me suspicious that maybe this was a contract year thing. He's also getting his knee scoped.

Lavine never led any of his Chicago or Minnesota teams to the playoffs. He needed DeRozan to show up on his door step to make it this year.

rankingtear
04-29-2022, 09:39 AM
Zach has never had a good defensive center in his career. He is fine , I mean max for John Collins was the thing last year, a career role player. Not even a good one.

XDT76
04-29-2022, 09:40 AM
He has a negative +/- in every single season in the NBA. Also out of 8 seasons he has only complete 1 season, sure not some one you want to give a MAX contract to. Isn't the Nets, Lakers and Clippers enough of warning against MAX player who cannot be counted on to be fit?

exstatic
04-29-2022, 10:14 AM
Zach has never had a good defensive center in his career. He is fine , I mean max for John Collins was the thing last year, a career role player. Not even a good one.

We don't have to make the same mistakes other teams do, and in fact rarely do.

duncan2150
04-29-2022, 10:43 AM
https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1520047755548368898

And Banchero...

BatManu20
04-29-2022, 10:46 AM
ST dream scenario: Spurs Land top-2 pick, draft Banchero, and sign LaVine. Contend for top-4 seed in the West.

Reality: Spurs draft another 6’5 Guard and sign Fat Head. Battle for the Play-in for 4th straight year :lol

GAustex
04-29-2022, 10:58 AM

And Banchero...
Please please please
Sweet Deity of Your choice
Please please

KingKev
04-29-2022, 11:40 AM
He's not been a great defender for most of his career, and that makes me suspicious that maybe this was a contract year thing. He's also getting his knee scoped.

Lavine never led any of his Chicago or Minnesota teams to the playoffs. He needed DeRozan to show up on his door step to make it this year.

He has been vocal he wants to play on both sides of the ball. Team USA Lavine into the first 6 weeks of this season before the knee flared up was actually a decent defender. He is a high character player who seems like he wants to prove the haters wrong. A healthy Lavine in the Spurs system would be a monster.

R. DeMurre
04-29-2022, 11:47 AM
Tampering is like insider trading or free throw lane violations... technically illegal, happens every day, impossible to eliminate, only gets called out if done egregiously.

KingKev
04-29-2022, 11:57 AM
Tampering is like insider trading or free throw lane violations... technically illegal, happens every day, impossible to eliminate, only gets called out if done egregiously.

The threshold for players is much higher than management from my POV. He deleted that tweet for a reason. Someone within PATFO or Klutch probably picked the phone up like dude chill but it’s not a big deal. Lavine could sign here in a few months and it still won’t garner further scrutiny.

Chomag
04-29-2022, 12:13 PM
You can only tamper if you are the Lakers per NBA rules.

Joseph Kony
04-29-2022, 12:14 PM

And Banchero...

:wow that's surprising

Guys wanna play with DJ it looks like. they know he'll let them eat :hungry:

Ariel
04-29-2022, 12:15 PM
There's an argument for a healthy Lavine being worth the max. I don't think so, but I can see why some would, especially given San Antonio's meager history attracting high profile FA. But that's a HEALTHY Lavine, and there are SERIOUS CONCERNS ABOUT THAT. He's had an ACL surgery, followed by related problems, leading to an exploratory surgery he'll go through to determine the extent of it. And although he's a skilled player, his athleticism is an integral part of his game, offensively and defensively. You can't play all out 80+ games a year if you're a shooting guard with bad knees. So forgive me if I'm skeptical, but the statements concerning his situation are as worrisome a sign as you could expect to hear from a guy with a quarter of a billion dollars hanging in the balance because of that. So I can't say I'm looking forward to the Spurs betting their future on him.

JPB
04-29-2022, 12:22 PM
GM about giving Lavine a max: "Yeah, yeah, he's been bad on defense for his first 8 years and 2 different teams but with my team, he'll try harder! He's willing! He will be anyway....Hopefully"

(Just don't ask yourself why he wasn't for the first 8 freaking years)

"Yeah, yeah he's a net negative but in the "right team" (i.e my team), he'll be fine! Why? Because that's my team!

"Yeah, yeah, his knee is supsicious but... with my team it'll be fine!

More seriously, we always tend to hope for the better but should be wary with the "change of scenario" argument to explain a player will radically change his game by changing team. Happens that a player blossoms with a new team but the fundamentals were there.. Couldn't count on one hand the number of guys who went from bad to good defender after 8 years in the league... And come on, forget the Olympics (no direspect to any country) to evaluate the guy's defense, not to mention rules are different...

For Lavine to fit with the spurs, you basically need 4 great defenders around him to cover his ass. Just another meh defender on the court and you get what happened to the bulls vs. the bucks, badly outscored.

You have 2 right now with Murray and Jak (forget about trading Jak if you sign Lavine). So you'd need more than capable 3s and 4s on defense. Also meaning, if you think you have a chance to sign him, that it might dictate your draft.

Ariel
04-29-2022, 12:24 PM
You'd have to think that, if they were actually tampering, they'd find better ways than a photoshopped pic through the twitter account of a player. That'd be either ingenuity on part of DM, or way for his management (both DM & Lavine's) to convey a sense of urgency to the Bulls to resign him for the max "as is" with no more questions asked, in light of the recent (and not so recent) events concerning his health.

KingKev
04-29-2022, 12:28 PM
Chicago IS and HAS been well aware of his knee. It required DAILY attention. He played through pain and is now getting it sorted. I would think Spurs fans could appreciate that old school mentality but most of you are the same clowns who counted Zollins out on day one and think Zion is the next Greg Oden.

Ariel
04-29-2022, 12:32 PM
Chicago IS and HAS been well aware of his knee. It required DAILY attention. He played through pain and is now getting it sorted. I would think Spurs fans could appreciate that old school mentality but most of you are the same clowns who counted Zollins out on day one and think Zion is the next Greg Oden.
Obviously they're aware of the issue, but that doesn't mean there aren't ways to play down the extend of an injury, to delay surgery, and so on.
Zollins' issues are acknowledged first and foremost by none other than himself and the FO, by the mere fact that he signed a contract lightly guaranteed... something in the ballpark of 10 million dollars (I think it's 7 per for 3 years total)... you're talking a quarter of a billion guaranteed over 5 years (for the Bulls). That's an entirely different story.

SAGirl
04-29-2022, 12:33 PM
He's a younger version of DDR, plus 3 point shooting. He was in Chicago for a few years, and they never made the playoffs.
Neither did Dejounte by himself or with other assortments of veterans. Those Chicago teams he played in were bad. That said, I am not a Lavine fan. I’d prefer they stick to the draft until they find their franchise guy. The Spurs have refused to do that, and soon they will have to trade DJ under duress, meaning he wants out and then you dont have as many options. With the Spurs wanting to stay competitive while they rebuild, having a Bryn Forbes, McD like offseason isnt going to cut it.

Lavine is one of the better guys that is a FA, but I hope they are looking at all angles, including some teams flaming out in the playoffs that may want to move players.

KingKev
04-29-2022, 12:49 PM
Obviously they're aware of the issue, but that doesn't mean there aren't ways to play down the extend of an injury, to delay surgery, and so on.
Zollins' issues are acknowledged first and foremost by none other than himself and the FO, by the mere fact that he signed a contract lightly guaranteed... something in the ballpark of 10 million dollars (I think it's 7 per for 3 years total)... you're talking a quarter of a billion guaranteed over 5 years (for the Bulls). That's an entirely different story.

It’s 200m over 5yrs, slightly more if he qualifies for the super max by making an all-nba team which is unlikely. Like it or not these risks are par for the course for top tier talent in the NBA.

5 yrs removed from his original ACL tear, a cleanup surgery known to everyone will not keep him from a max deal.

ZeusWillJudge
04-29-2022, 12:51 PM

That's a fair point. Even if he did hide it. I'm pretty sure there were times that Tim and Manu tried to hide injuries to get back onto the floor. I don't know what's going on inside a guy's head. Well...unless I look really hard, but I try not to do that too often.

SAGirl
04-29-2022, 12:51 PM
David West left the court visibly upset after the Game 6 loss. He may have been the one to call the Warriors up for all we know, but that’s way in the past. … water under the bridge at this point.

scott
04-29-2022, 01:08 PM
Aside from the debate over contract... isn't LaVine pretty much the manifestation of Lonnie's maximum ceiling?

And isn't a max ceiling Lonnie Walker something we have all dreamed and hoped for four years?

KingKev
04-29-2022, 01:25 PM
David West left the court visibly upset after the Game 6 loss. He may have been the one to call the Warriors up for all we know, but that’s way in the past. … water under the bridge at this point.

West took 10mm of the table to join the Spurs just to get 15 mins a game.

T Park
04-29-2022, 01:26 PM
West took 10mm of the table to join the Spurs just to get 15 mins a game.

Because he was bad. His awful rebounding is partly what killed them vs the Thunder that series, amongst other things.

BatManu20
04-29-2022, 01:30 PM
This sounds like a goodbye tbh.

BatManu20
04-29-2022, 01:34 PM
Still think he re-signs with Chicago, but that response alone definitely suggests he’s at least seriously considering other options.

KobesAchilles
04-29-2022, 02:15 PM
Good job DJ :lmao

Seventyniner
04-29-2022, 03:14 PM
Still think he re-signs with Chicago, but that response alone definitely suggests he’s at least seriously considering other options.

If he's eligible for the supermax he will want to pressure the Bulls into offering it.

Even without the supermax, the Bulls can offer bigger annual raises and a 5th guaranteed year.

Dejounte
04-29-2022, 03:27 PM
Tbh the tweet by DJ might not be him courting Zach, they have probably already talked behind the scenes and know that this is a done deal…

Ariel
04-29-2022, 03:36 PM
Tbh the tweet by DJ might not be him courting Zach, they have probably already talked behind the scenes and know that this is a done deal…
If that were the case they should trade DM on account of severe mental retardation. That's the least excusable of all scenarios. The definition of tampering, and the stupidest way of giving it away. Yikes.

Dejounte
04-29-2022, 04:11 PM
If that were the case they should trade DM on account of severe mental retardation. That's the least excusable of all scenarios. The definition of tampering, and the stupidest way of giving it away. Yikes.

Sorry, what? DJ didn’t risk more or less if my speculation is accurate. It’s a tweet of Zach in a Spurs uniform with his eyeball emojis stamped on it. It could be read ten thousand ways and the NBA isn’t going to use that as evidence that DJ talked with Zach behind the scenes already, if again, my speculation is true.

Dejounte
04-29-2022, 04:13 PM
https://youtu.be/ilk0UYNuqXA

Zach is asked about the tweet by DJ at 11:00

MannyIsGod
04-29-2022, 04:15 PM

My dude, NBA players have been deciding to play with each other for decades. If you think that tweet is going to bring on tampering penalties, then I present to you the mountains of evidence that say its not.

Not that I think they've decided to play together, but y'all are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

CGD
04-29-2022, 04:29 PM
https://youtu.be/ilk0UYNuqXA

Zach is asked about the tweet by DJ at 11:00

He handled that masterfully

MannyIsGod
04-29-2022, 04:31 PM
He handled that masterfully

Homie is letting Chicago know the only acceptable offer is going to be a max.

timvp
04-29-2022, 04:52 PM
This sounds like a goodbye tbh.

Interesting tense choices, tbh :stirpot:

Degoat
04-29-2022, 05:20 PM
I’d be really surprised if he left Chicago for us, the bulls were cursed with injuries this year. Fully healthy they would have a chance to make some noise in the East with a few roster tweaks imo

DPG21920
04-29-2022, 06:45 PM

Lol if Klutch is allowed to operate by the nba there is literally nothing the nba will do about tampering.

offset formation
04-29-2022, 07:18 PM

Murray and Vassell will be up for extensions year after next. Poeltl and Keldon are after next year. If those guys get paid market value, your core will be Whomever you draft this year in the lottery, Josh Primo, Lavine, Murray, Vassell, Keldon, and Poeltl, with very little wiggle room beyond that. Maybe one more FA MLE player..

Does that sound like championship stuff to you? Guess it depends on the development of this year's draftee, Vassell, and Primo. But I'm not sold. Maxing out Lavine, who is a very solid player undoubtedly, immediately kind of caps your ceiling. And I don't know if that's high enough.

Ariel
04-29-2022, 07:27 PM
Tbh the tweet by DJ might not be him courting Zach, they have probably already talked behind the scenes and know that this is a done deal…If that were the case they should trade DM on account of severe mental retardation. That's the least excusable of all scenarios. The definition of tampering, and the stupidest way of giving it away. Yikes.Sorry, what? DJ didn’t risk more or less if my speculation is accurate. It’s a tweet of Zach in a Spurs uniform with his eyeball emojis stamped on it. It could be read ten thousand ways and the NBA isn’t going to use that as evidence that DJ talked with Zach behind the scenes already, if again, my speculation is true.
You speculated that it's not him courting Lavine but rather him KNOWING that it's happening. I'm saying that's the one scenario were his tweet is actually dangerous, because if that ends up happening and it's proven, there will be consequences. So here's to hoping that's not the case.

DPG21920
04-29-2022, 07:30 PM
You speculated that it's not him courting Lavine but rather him KNOWING that it's happening. I'm saying that's the one scenario were his tweet is actually dangerous, because if that ends up happening and it's proven, there will be consequences. So here's to hoping that's not the case.

There will be ZERO consequences (of any significance) whether it happens or not.

Ariel
04-29-2022, 07:36 PM
My dude, NBA players have been deciding to play with each other for decades. If you think that tweet is going to bring on tampering penalties, then I present to you the mountains of evidence that say its not.
The post I alluded to speculated that DM already KNOWS it's a done deal, and that would have to involve the FO. I don't think that's the case, but if it ends up happening and it's Chicago who gets the short end of the stick, Spurs won't get a pass on it as easily LeBron and the Heat (among others) have. But then again, I think this is just wishful thinking on the part of DM, so that'll be the end of it.

timtonymanu
04-29-2022, 07:47 PM
The connections to DJ and Pop make it likely like when Aldridge was deciding to first join the Spurs. Honestly, I'm all for it. But that means the Spurs absolutely have to draft a modern nba 4. I don't know what's available in the draft, but Lavine doesn't solve that issue still.

offset formation
04-29-2022, 10:36 PM
The connections to DJ and Pop make it likely like when Aldridge was deciding to first join the Spurs. Honestly, I'm all for it. But that means the Spurs absolutely have to draft a modern nba 4. I don't know what's available in the draft, but Lavine doesn't solve that issue still.

In essence we'd have 4 SFs, with Lavine, Vassell, Johnson, and Primo. Too crowded. Someone would have to go.

tbdog
04-30-2022, 12:10 AM
In essence we'd have 4 SFs, with Lavine, Vassell, Johnson, and Primo. Too crowded. Someone would have to go.

No Lavine, primo and vassell are all guards with sf potential. Vassell and Primo still need to hit the weight room. Johnson is almost strictly a 4 now.

KingKev
04-30-2022, 06:58 AM
Murray and Vassell will be up for extensions year after next. Poeltl and Keldon are after next year. If those guys get paid market value, your core will be Whomever you draft this year in the lottery, Josh Primo, Lavine, Murray, Vassell, Keldon, and Poeltl, with very little wiggle room beyond that. Maybe one more FA MLE player..

Does that sound like championship stuff to you? Guess it depends on the development of this year's draftee, Vassell, and Primo. But I'm not sold. Maxing out Lavine, who is a very solid player undoubtedly, immediately kind of caps your ceiling. And I don't know if that's high enough.

Vassell’s extension would kick in the year after DJ. This timeline is too far out to be considering Vassell, Primo etc. who says they will even be worth extending?

The NBA is a very fluid league. You can’t have 3-5 year plans that is ridiculous. You have the chance to add a max free agent who would be a seamless fit with Murray. If you can get it done do it and keep plugging away.

Primo and Vassell are after thoughts when you are talking about all-nba talent. They are both likely to be career backup/role players.

exstatic
04-30-2022, 07:04 AM

How would you ‘prove it’? There don’t even have to be any texts or calls. They spent the better part of a week hanging at the ASG. That’s how the Heatles came to be: the 2008 Olympic team.

Rocalcio
04-30-2022, 08:15 AM

Let's make it happen!

Spurs Talk: Our team sucks!

Also Spurs Talk: IDK if I want Lavine, he'd interfere with Joel Wieskamp's development...

Let not sign any elite scorer because he’s an elite scorer. We could also find one who could fill the void at PF.

Basically Lavine would get either Johnson or Vassell’s position in the starting lineup, and these are two guys who showed great promises by the end of the season.

offset formation
04-30-2022, 12:33 PM
Vassell’s extension would kick in the year after DJ. This timeline is too far out to be considering Vassell, Primo etc. who says they will even be worth extending?

The NBA is a very fluid league. You can’t have 3-5 year plans that is ridiculous. You have the chance to add a max free agent who would be a seamless fit with Murray. If you can get it done do it and keep plugging away.

Primo and Vassell are after thoughts when you are talking about all-nba talent. They are both likely to be career backup/role players.

Hard disagree. First, it's not 3 to 5 years on the extensions, it's next year and the year after on all 4 players I mentioned. Secondly, if as a GM, you aren't looking ahead on the potential impact of extensions of your core players on your cap situation, then you aren't doing your job.

Again, I am not disagreeing with your underlying point though. I think Lavine is probably worthy of a max contract given his youth and production. I just don't think given our talent base that adding a Lavine gets you where you need to be, again, based on our current roster.

offset formation
04-30-2022, 12:49 PM
No Lavine, primo and vassell are all guards with sf potential. Vassell and Primo still need to hit the weight room. Johnson is almost strictly a 4 now.

Keldon is being played as a 4, yes. But he's not one defensively. He gets destroyed. This really should be clear by now to everyone as we continually give up career point totals each year.

Primo has been played as a 2, or even as a 1 at times. But he's not either, clearly. His game is gonna be sitting in the corner waiting for a pass-out.

Vassell has played both the 2 and the 3, but his game clearly is best suited as an off-ball 3. He's barely competent as a 2.

Lavine is the only one that has the skill to actually be played as a 2 guard full time. Though his ability to penetrate as a 3, from the wing makes the floor much more open for everyone else, and he's listed as a 2 and 3. So depending on lineup he could flex to the 2. Chicago seemed to have the most success with him playing mid-wing.

Were it me, if you're going to bring in Lavine, you are forced to play him at 2 next to Murray, then have either KJ or Vassell as the starter or bench 3. Then that pushes Primo to the deep bench. And that makes no sense for your previous year's lottery pick. Or it says really not good things about your previous year's lottery pick.

Either way, imo, I see a logjam at the 3.

KingKev
04-30-2022, 12:53 PM
Hard disagree. First, it's not 3 to 5 years on the extensions, it's next year and the year after on all 4 players I mentioned. Secondly, if as a GM, you aren't looking ahead on the potential impact of extensions of your core players on your cap situation, then you aren't doing your job.

Again, I am not disagreeing with your underlying point though. I think Lavine is probably worthy of a max contract given his youth and production. I just don't think given our talent base that adding a Lavine gets you where you need to be, again, based on our current roster.

Vassell and DJ’s extensions would kick in the season of 24-25. Primo the year later. Alot can happen between now and than but I wouldn’t assume Primo and Vassell are locks for being extended. In that core team you outlined earlier, Lavine isn’t the reason that team isn’t a contender, its the others. There is virtually no player in the NBA that if you replaced Lavine with them would make that core contenders.

offset formation
04-30-2022, 01:40 PM
Vassell and DJ’s extensions would kick in the season of 24-25. Primo the year later. Alot can happen between now and than but I wouldn’t assume Primo and Vassell are locks for being extended. In that core team you outlined earlier, Lavine isn’t the reason that team isn’t a contender, its the others. There is virtually no player in the NBA that if you replaced Lavine with them would make that core contenders.

Exactly. I agree it's the others. But what do you think the odds are that those guys aren't offered contracts -- which even on team friendly contracts and in addition to Lavine's supposed max -- hamstring the team at less than championship level for the next 5 years?

I am pretty sure PATFO extends KJ, Vassell, Murray, and Poeltl. Which takes me back to my previous post's question...is a core of Murray, Lavine, Vassell, KJ, Poeltl, Primo, plus whomever they draft this year, championship stuff? I don't see it. But I think it depends heavily on the development of Primo, Vassell, and this year's draft choice(s).

All of that is to say I don't think maxing out Lavine, as good a potentially player as he is and how much better he could make the team, is a wise move precisely because of the existing collective talent on the roster. And if not, then you've just ostensibly locked in mediocrity for 5+ years or more, barring other FA moves / trades.

Just my take.

Mr. Body
04-30-2022, 01:45 PM
Primo has been played as a 2, or even as a 1 at times. But he's not either, clearly. His game is gonna be sitting in the corner waiting for a pass-out.

You should tell Popovich this. He'd be interested to know.

offset formation
04-30-2022, 01:52 PM
You should tell Popovich this. He'd be interested to know.

The old man should have also known Bryn Forbes wasn't the next Steph Curry.

He's a HOF coach but sometimes you can't fit a square peg in a round hole, despite your best efforts. Primo is certainly not a 1. If he learns not to turn it over and how to dribble better, it's feasible he could at least be competent at the 2. Until then, he's a SF. Get Pop on the phone and I'll be happy to let him know.

Ariel
04-30-2022, 03:35 PM
How would you ‘prove it’? There don’t even have to be any texts or calls. They spent the better part of a week hanging at the ASG. That’s how the Heatles came to be: the 2008 Olympic team.
If that's all that happened then it's not tampering and certainly not what I mean by "KNOWING THAT IT'S HAPPENING" (an explicit arrangement between Spurs front office and his agents). Dejounte Murray can't arrange his team's FA signings with a handshake like LeBron can, it would have required A LOT more than that (FO, agents, etc.). Which is why I don't think that happened, and why I said it's most likely just wishful thinking on his part.

TD 21
04-30-2022, 03:45 PM
This one is simple.

If the Bulls offer LaVine the 5 year max (and the only reason to think they won't is if their medical staff advises otherwise), he'll re-sign. Anything less than that and he'll minimally utilize the Spurs as leverage, if not sign with them altogether.

In addition to his friendship with Murray, they can sell him on being "the man" again, instead of a floor spacer for an aging, one dimensional player. They can also sell youth that can insulate him defensively, financial flexibility and extra picks as assets to improve the team going forward.

Any notion that the Spurs shouldn't sign him because of a sub championship ceiling is absurd. Almost every path leads to that, they've actively avoided giving themselves the best odds to create something greater and this is among the last places that can afford to turn down a prime, All-Star free agent, who's a good on court and likely off court fit too.

scott
04-30-2022, 03:56 PM
Let not sign any elite scorer because he’s an elite scorer. We could also find one who could fill the void at PF.

Basically Lavine would get either Johnson or Vassell’s position in the starting lineup, and these are two guys who showed great promises by the end of the season.

You make finding an Elite Scoring PF sound really easy, So… where do we get one?

Lavine is a pure 2. KJ is a 3/4, and Vassell is a 2/3 who hasn’t shown enough to dissuade me from getting an all-star who may eat some of his minutes.

objective
04-30-2022, 04:22 PM
This one is simple.

If the Bulls offer LaVine the 5 year max (and the only reason to think they won't is if their medical staff advises otherwise), he'll re-sign. Anything less than that and he'll minimally utilize the Spurs as leverage, if not sign with them altogether.

In addition to his friendship with Murray, they can sell him on being "the man" again, instead of a floor spacer for an aging, one dimensional player. They can also sell youth that can insulate him defensively, financial flexibility and extra picks as assets to improve the team going forward.

Any notion that the Spurs shouldn't sign him because of a sub championship ceiling is absurd. Almost every path leads to that, they've actively avoided giving themselves the best odds to create something greater and this is among the last places that can afford to turn down a prime, All-Star free agent, who's a good on court and likely off court fit too.

Pretty much.

If the Spurs don't move up in the draft, I'd give them a 2% chance of Lavine. 1.5% for Dejounte, and 0.5% for Pop and the general upward potential versus the aging Chicago stars.

If the Spurs move up and get some big talent like Banchero to boost the roster and the northwest swag, I would put the chances at 20%

Even then it's a long shot

And the money isn't a big deal. I think his first year would be 37 million? He's 3 times the player McDermott is, so fine by me

KingKev
04-30-2022, 04:58 PM
This one is simple.

Agreed. Lavine is a walking bucket when healthy. A Lavine/Murray is a younger CP3/Booker back court. A very talented and complementary back court entering their prime.

GAustex
04-30-2022, 05:48 PM
Lol comparing DJM to CP3

KingKev
04-30-2022, 06:13 PM
Lol comparing DJM to CP3

A poor man’s version.

Rocalcio
04-30-2022, 06:16 PM
You make finding an Elite Scoring PF sound really easy, So… where do we get one?

Lavine is a pure 2. KJ is a 3/4, and Vassell is a 2/3 who hasn’t shown enough to dissuade me from getting an all-star who may eat some of his minutes.

I’m not saying it’s easy to find, but if we put all our money on Lavine then we’ll never find it.

KingKev
04-30-2022, 06:32 PM
I’m not saying it’s easy to find, but if we put all our money on Lavine then we’ll never find it.

It’s not all of our money. He would start around 35mm and we’d still have decent cap flexibility going forward. McD, JRich and Collins is 33mm alone that could be moved pretty easily.

rascal
04-30-2022, 08:16 PM
It’s not all of our money. He would start around 35mm and we’d still have decent cap flexibility going forward. McD, JRich and Collins is 33mm alone that could be moved pretty easily.

He's not coming to San Antonio anyways. The team isn't very good, lacking star players and the city is not an attractive destination.

The Spurs need to build through the draft and trades.

Dejounte
04-30-2022, 08:56 PM
https://youtu.be/WXkxJ0AGnHQ

An interview from three months ago

”for right now this is my home” when asked about free agency :lmao

Draymond with big praise for Keldon

And I don’t get the “Zach wants to be his own man” narrative. Listen to this interview and this guy oozes unselfishness.

RC_Drunkford
04-30-2022, 09:14 PM
People here saying Lavine won‘t put us over the top really cant see the big picture. We got the 2025 Bulls pick. We also got a young roster that’s improving and we would still have to find a starting PF. Lavine would definitely fit, you see how far you get and then add to the team. The Spurs will be stuck in mediocrity anyhow, they‘ll never tank

Dejounte
04-30-2022, 09:20 PM
People here saying Lavine won‘t put us over the top really cant see the big picture. We got the 2025 Bulls pick. We also got a young roster that’s improving and we would still have to find a starting PF. Lavine would definitely fit, you see how far you get and then add to the team. The Spurs will be stuck in mediocrity anyhow, they‘ll never tank

And unlike a year ago, our young players have now become valuable trade assets since they were actually able to show promise this year because they weren’t behind the shadow of the ballhog named DeMar. Guys like Vassell, Keldon could yield the Spurs a #11 to #15 pick if the Spurs find themselves with a late FRP because Zach made them into a playoff team. And with that late lottery pick, magic can happen.

TD 21
04-30-2022, 11:28 PM
https://youtu.be/WXkxJ0AGnHQ

An interview from three months ago

”for right now this is my home” when asked about free agency :lmao

Draymond with big praise for Keldon

And I don’t get the “Zach wants to be his own man” narrative. Listen to this interview and this guy oozes unselfishness.

Not sure if I'm included in the narrative part, but if so, that's not what I suggested. He's always come off as one of the more down to earth stars in the league (and is actually in the ideal role for him now), but being able to offer him clear first option status wouldn't hurt their case.

heyheymymy
05-01-2022, 04:46 AM
Didn't Wade talk about how he had dinner and wine with Bosh and convinced him to join Miami

KingKev
05-01-2022, 08:17 AM
And unlike a year ago, our young players have now become valuable trade assets since they were actually able to show promise this year because they weren’t behind the shadow of the ballhog named DeMar. Guys like Vassell, Keldon could yield the Spurs a #11 to #15 pick if the Spurs find themselves with a late FRP because Zach made them into a playoff team. And with that late lottery pick, magic can happen.

It seems to be a pretty popular opinion here that we already have a core of Primo/Vassell/Keldon/DJ/Jak in place and it’s just a matter of developing these guys further which is absolutely ridiculous.

As you mentioned getting Lavine makes it easier to move young assets as they develop.

XDT76
05-01-2022, 09:59 AM
It seems to be a pretty popular opinion here that we already have a core of Primo/Vassell/Keldon/DJ/Jak in place and it’s just a matter of developing these guys further which is absolutely ridiculous.

As you mentioned getting Lavine makes it easier to move young assets as they develop.

Nah we are still short of a penetrator and a PF to have a decent SL not to mention a core. Also we do not have a great on ball defender at the perimeter.

offset formation
05-01-2022, 12:19 PM

I literally am arguing the opposite. I think PATFO believes we have a core. Which makes signing Lavine all the more risky because if you don't, and you extend those other guys, then you're locked in to mediocrity.

TD 21
05-01-2022, 04:15 PM
I literally am arguing the opposite. I think PATFO believes we have a core. Which makes signing Lavine all the more risky because if you don't, and you extend those other guys, then you're locked in to mediocrity.

No, you're not. If you extend solid young players on solid contracts, they can double as solid trade assets.

We essentially just saw that with White.

RC_Drunkford
05-01-2022, 04:20 PM
people also have to consider that the West is wide open and fairly weak right now in relation to what it used to be. The Spurs fixing the hole at PF is the #1 priority though. They won't do anything significant until they address that, with or without LaVine