PDA

View Full Version : Paolo Banchero - 2022 NBA Draft Prospect

timvp
04-30-2022, 08:26 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/paolo-banchero-san-antonio-spurs-top-2022-nba-draft-prospect/

I wrote more on why I think Paolo Banchero would be the pick if the Spurs win the draft lottery. Chet Holmgren is really darn tempting the closer I look at his tape ... but I'm keeping Paolo number one, for now, at least, tbh.

Dejounte
04-30-2022, 09:15 PM
It’s a long shot but we can dream all the way until the 17th.

Uriel
04-30-2022, 09:17 PM
Seeing this happen would make me the happiest I've been about a new player since we signed Aldridge in free agency.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FRj3tiqUcAApQh5?format=png&name=small

BatManu20
04-30-2022, 09:20 PM
Another Seattle guy who’s good buddies with Dejounte. Banchero seems to be the guy most people on this board want. A plug-and-play starter from day 1 on whatever team he gets drafted by. Played to his potential in the NCAA tournament and showed why he was a highly touted high school prospect.

He’s going top-2 though unfortunately, so barring some incredibly fortunate bouncing of the lottery balls, this is likely a pipe dream.

https://www.spurstalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/paolo-banchero-spurs-draft.jpg

Dejounte
04-30-2022, 09:23 PM
The amount of swag these two would have because they’re cut from the same cloth. League’s best duo in a couple years if it happens.

RC_Drunkford
04-30-2022, 09:37 PM
Yup this would be the perfect fit. Then sign Lavine and bring back the Super Sonics Jerseys :lol

Ariel
04-30-2022, 09:51 PM
There seems to be a consensus that most teams would pick Chet or Jabari Smith in the top 2, and some even may have Ivey ranked very high (Detroit). So chances are good Banchero could be had at 3, even at 4 if the right team jumps into the top 3 (Detroit has a 40.1% chance of picking top 3).

So I'd say the Spurs have 15% - 20% chance of landing Banchero (1 in 5 to 1 in 6). It's UNLIKELY, sure... but maybe not as much as we think. And an IMMEDIATE and DRASTIC change in the future of the franchise. Fingers crossed.

rascal
04-30-2022, 10:29 PM
Yes, Banchero would be better than Chet.

I don't want that gangly, awkward looking player on the Spurs.

Russ
04-30-2022, 10:40 PM
As good as Banchero looks like he’ll be on paper, there are legitimate concerns about how he will translate to the NBA. First of all, his fit on the defensive end isn’t a natural one. He’s a really good athlete in most facets of the sport but his feet aren’t the quickest, which means he could have trouble defending out on the perimeter. And while Banchero is a big hombre, he’s not a natural rim protector and he’s only an average rebounder — so you don’t want him to spend too much time at center early in his career.

Spot on. Reminds me of the word, at the time, on another consensus #1 pick coming out of college who, in addition to all his other elite abilities, developed into a plus defender and rebounder for the Spurs.

Mr. Body
04-30-2022, 10:45 PM
Spot on. Reminds me of the word, at the time, on another consensus #1 pick coming out of college who, in addition to all his other elite abilities, developed into a plus defender and rebounder for the Spurs.

What do you mean? Even as a freshman, Duncan collected two more rebounds than Banchero per game at fewer minutes. Banchero blocked nearly 0.9 shots a game while Timmy blocked 3.8. By the time he was a senior, Duncan was collecting twice as many rebounds, at 14.7, than Banchero does.

Even as freshmen, Duncan was insane and Banchero isn't even close to the same prospect. He may be great, but let's not make this comparison.

Russ
04-30-2022, 10:52 PM
Even as freshmen, Duncan was insane and Banchero isn't even close to the same prospect.

Absolutely correct. But their (however slight) criticisms were similar coming out of college.

MultiTroll
04-30-2022, 10:53 PM
So I'd say the Spurs have 15% - 20% chance of landing Banchero (1 in 5 to 1 in 6). It's UNLIKELY, sure... but maybe not as much as we think. And an IMMEDIATE and DRASTIC change in the future of the franchise. Fingers crossed.
eh isn't #1 2 3 more like a less then 6% chance?

Now that we had that all important play in experience.

GAustex
04-30-2022, 10:54 PM
So you are telling me there is a chance…

Mr. Body
04-30-2022, 11:01 PM
I have doubts about Banchero as top pick. He reminds me of a DeMarcus Cousins who is not a headcase or a Julius Randle who is not as tunnel-visioned. He's just in a bit of no-man's land in the modern NBA if he's not going to protect the rim or be a phenomenal rebounder. Still, his value on offense would be very good. I might put him second on the top wish list above Smith.

MultiTroll
04-30-2022, 11:09 PM
So you are telling me there is a chance…
:lol

Commissioner Earvin EJ Johnson Jr will say
"In the 2032 NBA draft, with #1 overall pick for the 4th year in a row the NBA San Antonio Spurs and coach Greggor Pop select...."

SAGirl
04-30-2022, 11:11 PM
I won’t get excited about this possibility until after the lottery.

GAustex
04-30-2022, 11:14 PM
The Time between buying a Lotto ticket and the drawing coming up empty
“Lottery La La Land”

GAustex
04-30-2022, 11:20 PM
Lottery La La Land” Is
Cabo
Yachts
Tequila shots from a nubile wench’s belly button
Stuff like that

Or Spurs somehow getting Banchero

PhantomDashCam
04-30-2022, 11:41 PM
Big fan of Banchero. My clear #2 but certainly don't think of him as a runner-up type selection.

Now the question I ask, were the guys he played with - Moore, Williams, Keels and Griffin, (who are all considered potential first rounders in this draft), that good or
was Banchero that dominant, as a focal point that he elevated them to being as such?

I believe it's the former but time will tell if he's the 2022 Elton Brand.

That 1999 team had Corey Maggette, Trajan Langdon, Shane Battier, William Avery - who all went first round in the 1999 Draft, and Chris Carrawell - Second Rounder.
Maggette justified the lotto selection but took some time and Battier was considered a 'can't miss' role player. The others' limitations were exposed in the NBA.

Ariel
05-01-2022, 12:01 AM
eh isn't #1 2 3 more like a less then 6% chance?

Now that we had that all important play in experience.
The chances of Banchero being available when the Spurs pick are:
* Pick 1 (4.5%): every player is available, including Banchero.
* Pick 2 (4.8%): It's HIGHLY likely Banchero is available... I'd say 90% chance Chet or Jabari go no. 1
* Pick 3 (5.2%): Chances are good Banchero is available, as Chet and Jabari seem to be the consensus top 2 picks... say 75% chance of this happening
* Pick 4 (5.7%): There's a small chance Banchero is available, depending on the teams picking top 3. For instance, Detroit is said to be very high on Ivey (even at 1/2), and there's a 40.1% chance they pick 1-3. There may be other combinations, so we could assign a 25% chance of Banchero still being available at 4.
So this would yield a 14,145% chance (0.045 * 1 + 0.048 * 0.9 + 0.052 * 0.75 + 0.057 * 0.25) of Banchero being available when the Spurs pick.
Granted, it's all speculative and subject to many ifs and buts, however I don't think those are unreasonable ones.

BTW, the Spurs had a 14.29% chance at Robinson and a 21.4% chance at Duncan, and we know how those turned out... so impossible it's not.

Ariel
05-01-2022, 12:10 AM
Now the question I ask, were the guys he played with - Moore, Williams, Keels and Griffin, (who are all considered potential first rounders in this draft), that good or was Banchero that dominant, as a focal point that he elevated them to being as such?
Banchero was much more of a factor for Duke than Chet was for Gonzaga. In fact this is exactly why I'm so underwhelmed by Chet, when it mattered the most he was a no show for Gonzaga, they were totally reliant on his teammate Timme to carry them offensively, with Chet being relegated to a very, very small role (offensively). Not the kind of stuff you'd expect from a top 1 pick.

Ariel
05-01-2022, 12:17 AM
Maggette justified the lotto selection but took some time and Battier was considered a 'can't miss' role player. The others' limitations were exposed in the NBA.
Elton Brand was a 20&10 guy for a long time, back when that was much harder to accomplish. I see no shame in that.
Battier was that and then some. He played over 10 seasons and was one of the premier perimeter defenders in the league in that span, and an NBA champion.

It's an Adam Morrison or Emeka Okafor situation that would be cause for concern, but those are more akin to, say, Keegan Murray... older college player whose overachieving lead to them being picked over their talent level.

PhantomDashCam
05-01-2022, 12:38 AM
Banchero was much more of a factor for Duke than Chet was for Gonzaga. In fact this is exactly why I'm so underwhelmed by Chet, when it mattered the most he was a no show for Gonzaga, they were totally reliant on his teammate Timme to carry them offensively, with Chet being relegated to a very, very small role (offensively). Not the kind of stuff you'd expect from a top 1 pick.

Would Banchero be the top dog if he played for Gonzaga and with Timme? I'm not sure. Most likely he would defer too.

The seniority of these college programs carry weight. It's why similarly we were seeing players consistently defer to DDR when he was here.
There was a clear hierarchy and order already in place.

Now I'm not saying that Holmgren is the overall Offensive player that Banchero is right now, or that he may ever become one.
What Chet does well is all the little things that help win ball games. He is one of those unique players who can dominate a game without the raw numbers in the box score.

If the frame is the main Question mark, (and granted it's seen as a big if by many people, from all walks of b-ball experience), is it enough to dissuade you from taking the player who has dominated at every level of competition up to this point?
For some it is.
I persoanlly think he'll be a two way beast in a couple of seasons and make a significant defensive impact from day 1.

I'm going to post the Mike Schmitz interview back from October 2021. Was going to save it for timvp's future Chet breakdown but here it is.
Love the bit where he talks about being dunked on. 6:18 - 6:52 mark of the video.

https://youtu.be/SIvb0TovKD0

Mr. Body
05-01-2022, 12:39 AM

Timme was an upperclassmen but Holmgren was highly efficient when used. He definitely doesn't project as a high volume scorer but his defensive impact is far beyond anyone in his range. His advanced defensive stats (and actual defensive stats) are better than even Evan Mobley's were last year.

C-Dub
05-01-2022, 12:40 AM
If Spurs select P.B. with one of the top picks, there's a good chance Pop will not start him the 1st half of the season and maybe even send him to the G-league for the first part of the season. Just saying.

PhantomDashCam
05-01-2022, 01:01 AM
Elton Brand was a 20&10 guy for a long time, back when that was much harder to accomplish. I see no shame in that.
Battier was that and then some. He played over 10 seasons and was one of the premier perimeter defenders in the league in that span, and an NBA champion.

It's an Adam Morrison or Emeka Okafor situation that would be cause for concern, but those are more akin to, say, Keegan Murray... older college player whose overachieving lead to them being picked over their talent level.

Yeah I was actually trying to give Banchero praise by calling him 2022 Brand. Sorry, it was clumsily written.

The point I was trying to make was maybe he's the clear top prospect but maybe the other Duke-ys are propping him up somewhat. I don't think it's readily apparent atm though.

Ice009
05-01-2022, 01:35 AM
If Spurs select P.B. with one of the top picks, there's a good chance Pop will not start him the 1st half of the season and maybe even send him to the G-league for the first part of the season. Just saying.

Ahh, can we not bring up things like this. I know what you're saying, but how about we hope that we get the luck of the ping pong balls first to select him. I hope the lottery goes our way. This would be a great pairing with Dejounte.

Robz4000
05-01-2022, 01:57 AM
Yup this would be the perfect fit. Then sign Lavine and bring back the Super Sonics Jerseys :lol

Seattle Spurs comin'

John B
05-01-2022, 02:22 AM
IF the Spurs get lucky to draft Banchero, I would say it’s almost certain LaVine comes to complete the Seattle trio. The new big three. :bobo

objective
05-01-2022, 03:15 AM
I heard a comparison that made sense: pre-collapse Detroit era Blake Griffin without the three point shooting (yet)

heyheymymy
05-01-2022, 04:47 AM
the SupSpurSonics

BatManu20
05-01-2022, 05:17 AM
Seattle Spurs comin'

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FRlY0h5XwAAmO8J?format=jpg&name=900x900

JPB
05-01-2022, 05:41 AM
IF the Spurs get lucky to draft Banchero, I would say it’s almost certain LaVine comes to complete the Seattle trio. The new big three. :bobo

Hum, no offense but if I can imagine (maybe) Lavine signing to join his fella Dejounte, what could he care if Banchero is a Seattle dude too? They ain't friends AFAIK... "Hey, you're from Seattle too!? Cool, let's play together!"...

That doesn't even belong to his thinking about what he's gonna do. He'll just consider team roster and money, while friendship with Murray may factor in... Banchero could be from Alaska that it wouldn't make a single difference. If it'd play in Lavine decision, that would be for the player Banchero is, not where he's from.

Uriel
05-01-2022, 06:44 AM
Yes, Banchero would be better than Chet.

I don't want that gangly, awkward looking player on the Spurs.
To be fair, Durant was also a gangly, awkward looking player coming out of college.

Dejounte
05-01-2022, 07:22 AM
Blake Griffin was nothing more than a one trick pony

Elton Brand was more of a post player

I don’t think people realize how much 1 on 1 game Paolo has. It’s what separates him from all the typically mentioned player comparisons on here.

Folks have too much of a tendency to compare players by their body and frame, not their game.

unrelated to my post, just wanted to share it:

https://twitter.com/cbrickley603/status/1520521278024781824?s

regardless if he doesn’t get drafted by the Spurs, I think he’ll be REALLY fun to watch.

rascal
05-01-2022, 08:01 AM
To be fair, Durant was also a gangly, awkward looking player coming out of college.

No he wasn't. No comparison from what I see.

Durant looked far better coordinated than Holmgren, much stronger going to the basket and a much better shot.

John B
05-01-2022, 08:32 AM
Hum, no offense but if I can imagine (maybe) Lavine signing to join his fella Dejounte, what could he care if Banchero is a Seattle dude too? They ain't friends AFAIK... "Hey, you're from Seattle too!? Cool, let's play together!"...

That doesn't even belong to his thinking about what he's gonna do. He'll just consider team roster and money, while friendship with Murray may factor in... Banchero could be from Alaska that it wouldn't make a single difference. If it'd play in Lavine decision, that would be for the player Banchero is, not where he's from.

I don’t need to spell of course how much Banchero, IF Spurs are so lucky, would improve the Spurs with his size and potentially being a go-to scorer, plus possible chemistry with DJM, and not just being from Seattle. And seeing the potential of adding his talent to that especially they’re from the same background, could entice LaVine to join. Murray/LaVine/Keldon/Banchero/Poeltl is pretty good lineup, plus a bench of Devin, J-Rich, Zach, and Primo who I suspect to just keep improving. LaVine chemistry with Keldon and Pop at the Olympics. But I didn’t have to spell all that..

TD 21
05-01-2022, 09:21 AM
As many of us said months ago, for all the obvious reasons can't imagine he wouldn't be the guy. The other two might end up higher impact, but this team is not in a position to pick complementary over centerpiece types.

More than likely meaningless, but on O'Connor's most recent mock draft from 6 days ago titled "Who would the Spurs take 1st?", he went Smith, but what I found more interesting is he was joined by Murray and Mathurin on the graphic. Not that they'd pick them first, obviously.

I heard a comparison that made sense: pre-collapse Detroit era Blake Griffin without the three point shooting (yet)

Pretty much. He's not as athletic as probably even that version of Griffin though.

Blake Griffin was nothing more than a one trick pony.

? Before injuries derailed his career, Griffin developed into one of the most skilled 4's of all time, with legit point forward skills.

dokdok
05-01-2022, 09:35 AM
Blake Griffin was nothing more than a one trick pony

Elton Brand was more of a post player

I don’t think people realize how much 1 on 1 game Paolo has. It’s what separates him from all the typically mentioned player comparisons on here.

Folks have too much of a tendency to compare players by their body and frame, not their game.

unrelated to my post, just wanted to share it:

https://twitter.com/cbrickley603/status/1520521278024781824?s

regardless if he doesn’t get drafted by the Spurs, I think he’ll be REALLY fun to watch.

He looks like a giant Derrick White. I'm sold

Ariel
05-01-2022, 09:47 AM
Timme was an upperclassmen but Holmgren was highly efficient when used. He definitely doesn't project as a high volume scorer but his defensive impact is far beyond anyone in his range. His advanced defensive stats (and actual defensive stats) are better than even Evan Mobley's were last year.
Of course he's efficient, he's 7'1" playing against guys who are 8 inches shorter, he's got a soft touch and can shoot the 3. But efficiency is overrated without context. What I want is a guy who can carry the offense in a close playoff game, when you play in the halfcourt. Banchero looks tailor made for this, with his ball handling, creation, vision, passing, shooting... What does Chet do in a situation like this? Well, we actually got a preview of that in March, vs Arkansas and Memphis... he gets bullied and/or disappears, hoping a teammate can bail him out. Again. Picture him in the final minutes of a playoff game. What role do you see him playing for us?

Mr. Body
05-01-2022, 10:14 AM
Of course he's efficient, he's 7'1" playing against guys who are 8 inches shorter, he's got a soft touch and can shoot the 3. But efficiency is overrated without context. What I want is a guy who can carry the offense in a close playoff game, when you play in the halfcourt. Banchero looks tailor made for this, with his ball handling, creation, vision, passing, shooting... What does Chet do in a situation like this? Well, we actually got a preview of that in March, vs Arkansas and Memphis... he gets bullied and/or disappears, hoping a teammate can bail him out. Again. Picture him in the final minutes of a playoff game. What role do you see him playing for us?

I mean, I literally just told you Holmgren isn't a volume scorer. He's a great side option on offense with a bigger ceiling than you suggest, but his true value is being incredible at defense. He's also very good in transition, by the way.

This board is getting lunatic about Banchero, I might mention, like he's some hybrid of Karl Malone and Charles Barkley. I see no reason to believe he's this unstoppable offensive force.

Mr. Body
05-01-2022, 10:18 AM

Huh? Blake Griffin was far more athletic. He was an exceptional lob threat and could blow by defenders.

Demarcus Cousins, I'm telling you. They're even built the same.

KingKev
05-01-2022, 11:05 AM
Banchero reminds me of a 90s NBA power forward: Karl Malone, Derrick Coleman, Chris Weber, Antonio McDyess with more range. Even a younger LMA.

Ariel
05-01-2022, 11:07 AM
Banchero reminds me of a 90s NBA power forward: Karl Malone, Derrick Coleman, Chris Weber, Antonio McDyess with more range. Even a younger LMA.
I think a Chris Webber lite would seem like a reasonable comparison. I'll take that any day.

DPG21920
05-01-2022, 11:09 AM
At the end of the day, getting him would be great because it means we got a top 4 pick. But I’m not overly impressed with anyone in the top 4 tbh. I have concerns about him but who cares - you can only draft the prospects available and he’s clearly a top 3 talent in the draft.

Does that mean he will be an all star? No. But nothing you can do about a meh draft regarding super stars. But if we land him or Chet (I kind of prefer Chet tbh) then it’s cause for massive celebration

He just gives me that plodder vibe. Which usually doesn’t pan out well. A less athletic Julius Randle is kinda dicey

DPG21920
05-01-2022, 11:13 AM
Tbh if SA somehow did land the #1 pick and another team loved Banchero I would love SA to trade back, take Chet or Jabari and net another first for it

Ariel
05-01-2022, 11:25 AM
I mean, I literally just told you Holmgren isn't a volume scorer. He's a great side option on offense with a bigger ceiling than you suggest, but his true value is being incredible at defense. He's also very good in transition, by the way.
Well... in abstract there are many part of his offensive game that seem fine, and I agree he's good in transition. He seems ok all around, but when you put it all together it doesn't add up, and I expect more from a top pick than the 4th or 5th offensive option on a winning team, which is what he looked like in big games.

This board is getting lunatic about Banchero, I might mention, like he's some hybrid of Karl Malone and Charles Barkley. I see no reason to believe he's this unstoppable offensive force.
Funny enough, that's kind of how I feel about Chet defensively. He's been made out to be this defensive monster, and while he does possess some exceptional characteristics (height, IQ, desire, coordination), others don't impress me so much (speed, strength, endurance). He'll be beaten off the dribble (though he's great at recovering), he'll have problems fighting through screens, fighting for position, and staying healthy during a whole season. I think his defensive floor is high, though, provided he stays healthy... but that's a big if. But if I was convinced he could be a Mobley 2.0 I wouldn't hesitate to take him. It's just that he seemed impressive against smaller rivals with lesser talent, but not so much when the bar was set higher (Memphis, Arkansas, etc.).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIvpY5S-tLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa82WbWABMw

MultiTroll
05-01-2022, 11:52 AM
Didn't watch the games did you?
Zag guards blew big time.
Chet made the correct pass for wide open 3 numerous times.

Final minutes of Spurs games i could see Chet also making a perfect pass out to a wide open Bryn Forbes for the brick.
Pop saying how happy he was that "we competed".

Ariel
05-01-2022, 11:57 AM
Didn't watch the games did you?
Zag guards blew big time.
Chet made the correct pass for wide open 3 numerous times.

Final minutes of Spurs games i could see Chet also making a perfect pass out to a wide open Bryn Forbes for the brick.
Pop saying how happy he was that "we competed".
Actually I saw every game of Gonzaga, because I wanted to get an impression of Chet other than from highlights. The rest of his teammates are not NBA material, as most of his rivals, so that's not part of my assessment. But every time they needed a big bucket, they went for Timme. If you're that good and your teammates suck, you don't defer, you make it happen.

rascal
05-01-2022, 12:39 PM
Actually I saw every game of Gonzaga, because I wanted to get an impression of Chet other than from highlights. The rest of his teammates are not NBA material, as most of his rivals, so that's not part of my assessment. But every time they needed a big bucket, they went for Timme. If you're that good and your teammates suck, you don't defer, you make it happen.

Chet won't be a go to scorer in the NBA, more of a complementary piece on offense. The Spurs still need that star scorer. Chet's game is awkward and ugly. If you like a player with stiff awkward upper body movements go ahead and draft Chet.

If the Spurs are lucky enough to land a top 4 pick they need to add a stronger offensive player than Holmgren. They can add Duren at 9 if they want to add another primarily defensive front court player.

MultiTroll
05-01-2022, 01:00 PM
Chet won't be a go to scorer in the NBA, more of a complementary piece on offense. The Spurs still need that star scorer. Chet's game is awkward and ugly. If you like a player with stiff awkward upper body movements go ahead and draft Chet.

If the Spurs are lucky enough to land a top 4 pick they need to add a stronger offensive player than Holmgren. They can add Duren at 9 if they want to add another primarily defensive front court player.
True i do not see Chet being comfortable as the #1 option having to try to save the Spurs from suckdom.
That having been said, he is a total team player that does lots of stuff that does not show up in the stats. Alters shots, tips passes.
His blocks will translate imo. Is he going to swat players like in NCAA? No way. But he will still get nice blocks.

There is no 1 player to transform the Spurs.
Perhaps i only saw Bancheros total suck game vs Viginia. He was hoorible at the end with game on line both on O (idiotic turnover) and D (Craig Popplevich D ahead by 3 cannot lose by a duece and.....drumroll.....gives up a wide open 3.)

CGD
05-01-2022, 02:42 PM
One can dream I suppose.

rascal
05-01-2022, 03:59 PM
Spurs will get into the top four.

ginobilized
05-01-2022, 04:11 PM
I only got to see Banchero in the tourney this year, but, his skillset, size and IQ are intriguing for the Spurs.
He played within himself and let the game come to him in a way few 19yr olds can. I agree with timvp that he'd be a no-brainer as pick no. 1 for the Spurs.
His passing alone would greatly improve our offense. Very smart and talented player. The Spurs would be a great situation for him, too. Other teams might not have the system or approach to development that would get the best from him.
I believe that the Spurs would maximize his potential if he's their guy.

objective
05-01-2022, 05:34 PM
Huh? Blake Griffin was far more athletic. He was an exceptional lob threat and could blow by defenders.

Demarcus Cousins, I'm telling you. They're even built the same.

In Detroit, he had really ceased being a lob threat and wasn't getting anywhere with speed. he was a playmaker with his passing and scoring with skill, touch, patience

Check out his 50 point game with Detroit, no lobs, 1 dunk, lots of one on one

https://youtu.be/vxYBsUdosGo

R. DeMurre
05-01-2022, 05:55 PM
I was never a huge Blake Griffin fan, but it's a tough argument to say he wasn't well rounded enough while also calling for a Zach LaVine max contract. Whatever flaws were in Blake's game, they're pretty small compared to LaVine's.

Mr. Body
05-01-2022, 05:58 PM
In Detroit, he had really ceased being a lob threat and wasn't getting anywhere with speed. he was a playmaker with his passing and scoring with skill, touch, patience

Check out his 50 point game with Detroit, no lobs, 1 dunk, lots of one on one

https://youtu.be/vxYBsUdosGo

Oh, I would definitely not draft a Blake-Griffin-in-Detroit type as a top pick in the draft. He was washed for a bad team. I certainly hope Banchero isn't him.

objective
05-01-2022, 06:35 PM
Oh, I would definitely not draft a Blake-Griffin-in-Detroit type as a top pick in the draft. He was washed for a bad team. I certainly hope Banchero isn't him.

I specified 'pre-collapse' Griffin in Detroit, which was 18-19

He was 3rd team all-nba, all star, and averaged 24.5 points, 7.5 rebounds, 5.4 assists

An all-nba player is not easy to find, Spurs haven't had one since Kawhi

Biggems
05-01-2022, 06:42 PM

I don't think Timme sucks. I think he has a nice place coming off the bench for a team. I believe he could give you 15-20 minutes of tough, hard-nosed play, with some instant offense. Now, on defense he would be a matador, but at least he attacks the glass.

Ariel
05-01-2022, 07:13 PM
I don't think Timme sucks. I think he has a nice place coming off the bench for a team. I believe he could give you 15-20 minutes of tough, hard-nosed play, with some instant offense. Now, on defense he would be a matador, but at least he attacks the glass.
Oh no, I was following the logic of the poster I was replying to, and maybe I went a bit overboard, but I agree with you on that 100%. Timme doesn't suck on offense, not even one bit. I in fact stated once and again how he carried Gonzaga on offense when they needed it the most, in fact if not for him they would have been eliminated sooner. He reminds me quite a bit of Scola with his craftiness and foot work, although it'd be very hard for him to make a living in the NBA unless he improves significantly his defense and rebounding. To be fair Nembhard doesn't suck either... I was just emphasizing how underwhelmed I was with Chet's inability to impact the game on offense when it mattered the most (vs Memphis and Arkansas).

Mr. Body
05-01-2022, 07:38 PM
Timme is going to make good money overseas.

There might be a limit to how good Mark Few is in diversifying his offensive attack. Not depending too much on a freshman isn't a terrible idea, however, but Holmgren does show flashes of potential -- advanced dribble moves, spins, Dirk fades. He won't be Durant, but he's more skilled in that department than suggested. In some ways, he's like a SF trapped in a skinny 7'0" frame. This causes problems, like a very high dribble at times, and his body not coordinating with his brain at times, but it also makes him super-long, a hell of a shotblocker, etc.

Given his agility and instincts, there's a lot of promise. Basically, I think Banchero projects as what he is already. A very good player, but potentially not a superstar, who will not be a plus defender or rim protector, whose floor isn't that bad. Holgren's potential range is wider. His top range is spectacular, his bottom range is a good-shooting Shawn Bradley or someone who gets snapped in half.

Biggems
05-01-2022, 07:45 PM
Oh no, I was following the logic of the poster I was replying to, and maybe I went a bit overboard, but I agree with you on that 100%. Timme doesn't suck on offense, not even one bit. I in fact stated once and again how he carried Gonzaga on offense when they needed it the most, in fact if not for him they would have been eliminated sooner. He reminds me quite a bit of Scola with his craftiness and foot work, although it'd be very hard for him to make a living in the NBA unless he improves significantly his defense and rebounding. To be fair Nembhard doesn't suck either... I was just emphasizing how underwhelmed I was with Chet's inability to impact the game on offense when it mattered the most (vs Memphis and Arkansas).

To me, Chet is Shawn Bradley with a jumper

jjspur
05-01-2022, 07:45 PM
We can all hope to land in the top 4 and any one of the top 4 players would instantly help the spurs. Unfortunately the odds are against us. Where the odds aren't that much against us is in the 2nd round where we could possibly draft Timme from Gonzaga. He's a bit like Luka Garza in Detroit, big and strong and can shoot pretty well, maybe even better than Garza. He's just a bit slow for NBA standards, but still useful as an end of the bench guy. Garza will certainly still be in the NBA next season although I can't quite say that for both our 2 way players. Timme had a strong showing during march madness, Holmgren not so much considering his and the schools reputation.

If the spurs somehow manage to get a top 4 pick, I would want them to select Banchero. Him and Timme in the 2nd round could really improve our smallish front court. We have enough 6'5" guys, we need some size. Rebounding shooting also help.

Ariel
05-01-2022, 07:47 PM
Nice story about Banchero and his family. His mom played in the WNBA, didn't know that.
https://andscape.com/features/for-dukes-paolo-banchero-mom-is-the-catalyst-for-his-success-personal-growth/

rascal
05-01-2022, 08:19 PM
We can all hope to land in the top 4 and any one of the top 4 players would instantly help the spurs. Unfortunately the odds are against us. Where the odds aren't that much against us is in the 2nd round where we could possibly draft Timme from Gonzaga. He's a bit like Luka Garza in Detroit, big and strong and can shoot pretty well, maybe even better than Garza. He's just a bit slow for NBA standards, but still useful as an end of the bench guy. Garza will certainly still be in the NBA next season although I can't quite say that for both our 2 way players. Timme had a strong showing during march madness, Holmgren not so much considering his and the schools reputation.

If the spurs somehow manage to get a top 4 pick, I would want them to select Banchero. Him and Timme in the 2nd round could really improve our smallish front court. We have enough 6'5" guys, we need some size. Rebounding shooting also help.

No more below the rim players, Spurs have enough of them.

rascal
05-01-2022, 08:25 PM
I specified 'pre-collapse' Griffin in Detroit, which was 18-19

He was 3rd team all-nba, all star, and averaged 24.5 points, 7.5 rebounds, 5.4 assists

An all-nba player is not easy to find, Spurs haven't had one since Kawhi

I don't think Banchero will be as good as pre injury Blake-Griffin.

duncan2150
05-02-2022, 09:49 AM
I don't see the comparaison with Griffin, they are totally different imo.

Banchero is more close to what Okafor was at Duke than Griffin tough he's more complete : better passer, better shooter .....

rjv
05-02-2022, 10:10 AM
he'd be my pick if the basketball gods are good to the spurs on the 17th

Russ
05-02-2022, 10:13 AM
I don't see the comparaison with Griffin, they are totally different imo.

Banchero is more close to what Okafor was at Duke than Griffin tough he's more complete : better passer, better shooter .....

I would see the comparison as more to a slightly taller Grant Hill at Duke (with hopefully more semblance of a motor than Hill).

Both smoothe, good footwork, not freakish athletes, but can also go one-on-one.

Banchero is the type of talent who may be better in the NBA than in college -- we always focus on the majority of players who will be worse at the next level than in college, but the key is to find those few who will actually be better at the next level. Contrary to conventional thinking, they do exist.

duncan2150
05-02-2022, 10:32 AM
I would see the comparison as more to a slightly taller Grant Hill at Duke (with hopefully more semblance of a motor than Hill).

Both smoothe, good footwork, not freakish athletes, but can also go one-on-one.

Banchero is the type of talent who may be better in the NBA than in college -- we always focus on the majority of players who will be worse at the next level than in college, but the key is to find those few who will actually be better at the next level. Contrary to conventional thinking, they do exist.

I see what you mean with Hill becaue Banchero is a PF with some guard skills ( think he was doing everything and playing like PG some times in HS) . Maybe he's something between Hill and Okafor ( by okafor i see the footwork essentially)

Ocotillo
05-02-2022, 10:38 AM
If the Spurs luck out and get into the top 4 so that they draft Banchero, any chance Tari drops to 20? Even bringing in Banchero the team still needs depth beyond KBD at the 4.

exstatic
05-02-2022, 10:52 AM

I’m tired of matador defenders, so Drew Timme can stay home. We were a much better offensive team (8) than defensive team (23) so drafting Timme doesn’t address that.

Mr. Body
05-02-2022, 11:07 AM
If the Spurs luck out and get into the top 4 so that they draft Banchero, any chance Tari drops to 20? Even bringing in Banchero the team still needs depth beyond KBD at the 4.

Mocks have Eason in a fairly big range right now. He has question marks, but I think definitely goes in the lottery. Available at #9 or #10, gone a good number of picks before #20. Same with Sochan.

Ariel
05-02-2022, 11:12 AM
Mocks have Eason in a fairly big range right now. He has question marks, but I think definitely goes in the lottery. Available at #9 or #10, gone a good number of picks before #20. Same with Sochan.
I agree, but if the Spurs want it bad enough, they have the assets to pull it off: Poeltl, Josh Richardson, picks 20, 25 and 38... some combination of those can get you in the late lottery IMO. The question is at what cost, and whether they want it in the first place. I wouldn't want them to grossly overpay, but they can definitely do it if they wanted to, and if the price is right...

R. DeMurre
05-02-2022, 11:24 AM
Banchero and Jabari Smith both had the good fortune in college of having impactful defensive bigs behind them-- Banchero had Mark Williams and Smith had Walker Kessler-- so it'll be interesting to see how they perform defensively in the NBA. My guess is Smith is the better and more versatile defender. He had better steal and block rates than Paolo, better defensive metrics, and has the body type/athleticism to switch down to SFs or larger SGs. He'll have a bigger physical challenge with centers than Paolo, but I think he generally shows more enthusiasm for D than Paolo does, and is the overall better archetype defensively for the constant switching in today's NBA.

Early on in the season, Banchero had big issues with cramping, and doctors found that he had an unusual condition where he sweats much more than the average athlete, with some reports saying he'd lose as much as 7 lbs in a game because of it. Duke went all out with a hydration plan and would even give him IVs at halftime to help with this issue. It's interesting that very few recent reports on him mention this, and I wonder if that issue will be more challenging with the rigors of the NBA schedule.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/Dont-Sweat-It-Duke-Basketball-addressing-Paolo-Bancheros-hydration-issues-177124720/
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2021/12/nba-draft-paolo-banchero-cramping-sweat-health-concerns

KingKev
05-02-2022, 11:30 AM
^ sounds like it can be managed even if it does require a pint of saline at half.

KingKev
05-02-2022, 11:31 AM
^ sounds like it can be managed even if it does require a pint of saline at half.

R. DeMurre
05-02-2022, 01:45 PM

Yeah, but if he has to do it three times in four days? How healthy is that?

KingKev
05-02-2022, 02:03 PM
Yeah, but if he has to do it three times in four days? How healthy is that?

I’m not an MD so I won’t speculate. It sounds like they’ve identified the issue and formulated a drink for him that he needs to hammer on game days. I’d be more worried he needs to piss with 45 seconds left and the washroom is 5 minutes away.

BTW 30 minutes on a drip and you can go from a zombie to fully hydrated.

I’ve been to the point of near kidney failure I was so dehydrated; 3 bags of saline and I felt
like a million bucks.

Russ
05-02-2022, 02:13 PM
he needs to hammer on game days.

Lately, me too.

KingKev
05-02-2022, 02:39 PM
Lately, me too.

Haha if I’m not 8 deep with money on the game I probably don’t watch these days.

jjspur
05-02-2022, 02:47 PM
I’m tired of matador defenders, so Drew Timme can stay home. We were a much better offensive team (8) than defensive team (23) so drafting Timme doesn’t address that.
Hey I'm just looking for more height than we currently have. Tari Eason would be nice, a bit early for the 9th pick but I doubt he lasts until 20. Where are we on rebounding ? Size helps with that. We always have issues against teams with lots of length. Timme isn't the best at defense I'll admit, but at least he's big and can definitely score something our second or third units could surely use. We know all our 2nd and 3rd unit guys aren't coming back, so with our 2nd round pick, how about drafting a big who can score. since we don't need any more small forwards or guards.

Ariel
05-02-2022, 03:06 PM
I’d be more worried he needs to piss with 45 seconds left and the washroom is 5 minutes away.
Oh, I wouldn't worry about that at all... seems like he's taking a piss every second through his every pore... literally. :lol

KingKev
05-02-2022, 03:12 PM
Oh, I wouldn't worry about that at all... seems like he's taking a piss every second through his every pore... literally. :lol

Doesn’t work that way though.

Ariel
05-02-2022, 03:24 PM
Doesn’t work that way though.
It's a joke. They're different bodily functions, but there's only so much water to go around, and an increased loss of water through sweating should not translate to an equally high need to piss during a game... on the contrary, if anything it should reduce it.

On a serious note, it's been well established that this happens to many athletes, but his case seems a bit extreme (IVs during a game?), so I'm sure they'll do their due diligence on the matter.

KingKev
05-02-2022, 03:46 PM
It's a joke. They're different bodily functions, but there's only so much water to go around, and an increased loss of water through sweating should not translate to an equally high need to piss during a game... on the contrary, if anything it should reduce it.

On a serious note, it's been well established that this happens to many athletes, but his case seems a bit extreme (IVs during a game?), so I'm sure they'll do their due diligence on the matter.

If he is smashing a hydration formula all game to stay hydrated he will have to piss more genius.

Ariel
05-02-2022, 03:58 PM
If he is smashing a hydration formula all game to stay hydrated he will have to piss more genius.
You'd think the goal is to keep him hydrated compensating the extra amount of liquid he loses through sweating, not to pump him like a balloon to the point where he needs to take a piss between timeouts :lol

KingKev
05-02-2022, 04:04 PM
You'd think the goal is to keep him hydrated compensating the extra amount of liquid he loses through sweating, not to pump him like a balloon to the point where he needs to take a piss between timeouts :lol

Hold fk your are a dumbass.

ZeusWillJudge
05-02-2022, 04:16 PM
Are you guys familiar with the term "semipermeable membrane"?

It's something that has to be managed, and if he's having that much trouble with cramping, and then with needing to pee with 45 seconds in the game, the plan needs some work. But I wouldn't think it's something that would be likely to affect a draft decision. Some NFL linemen lose twice that amount on game day. (I didn't make that up, and it's not an exaggeration - you could look it up.) The biggest worry is probably from the fact that that kind of cramping is usually from low potassium, and potassium is a big part of what makes your muscles work. Your heart is a muscle.

I'm sure they're monitoring it closely, and that the teams all know. I never heard of using oxygenated liquid for electrolyte imbalance, but medical science marches on.

KingKev
05-02-2022, 04:26 PM
Are you guys familiar with the term "semipermeable membrane"?

It's something that has to be managed, and if he's having that much trouble with cramping, and then with needing to pee with 45 seconds in the game, the plan needs some work. But I wouldn't think it's something that would be likely to affect a draft decision. Some NFL linemen lose twice that amount on game day. (I didn't make that up, and it's not an exaggeration - you could look it up.) The biggest worry is probably from the fact that that kind of cramping is usually from low potassium, and potassium is a big part of what makes your muscles work. Your heart is a muscle.

I'm sure they're monitoring it closely, and that the teams all know. I never heard of using oxygenated liquid for electrolyte imbalance, but medical science marches on.

Pls explain Asclepius

I was clearly arguing it’s a non issue.

R. DeMurre
05-02-2022, 04:43 PM
Pls explain Asclepius

Agreed, it's being handled, but it's clearly an issue for a 19 year old to be regularly getting IVs in the locker room at halftime. Interesting choice to go with Asclepius over Hippocrates, but I get it.

ZeusWillJudge
05-02-2022, 04:44 PM
Pls explain Asclepius

LOL. All I'm saying is that it's the electrolyte imbalance. The heart doesn't like too much potassium OR too little. Nice Greek reference, though. :lol

If we could post pictures without having to host them somewhere else, I'd show you the bottle of Urocit K that I have to keep around. I sort of had to learn a little about electrolyte imbalances. It's not easy after the first 3,000 or so years.

KingKev
05-02-2022, 04:51 PM
LOL. All I'm saying is that it's the electrolyte imbalance. The heart doesn't like too much potassium OR too little. Nice Greek reference, though. :lol

If we could post pictures without having to host them somewhere else, I'd show you the bottle of Urocit K that I have to keep around. I sort of had to learn a little about electrolyte imbalances. It's not easy after the first 3,000 or so years.

haha if Paulo falls in our lap i’ll be his personal gatorade boy and remove the excess liquid personally if he has to pee in a courtside portapotty.

I just don’t think this is a consideration.

DPG21920
05-04-2022, 11:15 AM
I struggle with Paolo the more I think of it. Isn’t Jabari Smith younger and he definitely shoots better? Yes, Paolo has some other skills and is much bulkier but man, I dont know that I can have Paolo over Chet or Jabari (more I can see argument over Jabari for sure, but even then its not clear cut to me). Depends on what you think of the shooting.

DJR210
05-04-2022, 02:05 PM
haha if Paulo falls in our lap i’ll be his personal gatorade boy and remove the excess liquid personally if he has to pee in a courtside portapotty.

I just don’t think this is a consideration.

TD 21
05-04-2022, 04:32 PM
I struggle with Paolo the more I think of it. Isn’t Jabari Smith younger and he definitely shoots better? Yes, Paolo has some other skills and is much bulkier but man, I dont know that I can have Paolo over Chet or Jabari (more I can see argument over Jabari for sure, but even then its not clear cut to me). Depends on what you think of the shooting.

Slightly and Smith shoots 3s better, but is poor from multiple levels inside the arc.

Smith's and Holmgren's ceilings are probably elite complementary players, while Banchero's is probably low end centerpiece.

The case for one of the former is if you have the latter's projected role already covered and/or are likely to pick in the range they're most commonly found beyond this season.

Maddog
05-04-2022, 07:29 PM
Wow who to take of the top three
Probably Smith
Since Banchero in game sweat weighs more than Holmgren

I'll be honest- I don't watch college ball, but the more I read the more this sounds like a crap shoot.

T Park
05-04-2022, 08:06 PM

I personally don’t get the Jabari smith stuff. To me, when you have a chance to draft Chris Webber 2.0 who has the ability to defend when put in a good coaching system. You do it.

BatManu20
05-08-2022, 03:06 PM

KingKev
05-08-2022, 03:20 PM
Paulo already off PATFO’s radar. Doing RNS type stuff already. Humble boy scouts aren’t in Miami for the F1.

BatManu20
05-08-2022, 03:55 PM
In case anybody was wondering about Paulo’s quarterbacking skills.

ace3g
05-14-2022, 03:14 PM
https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/1525543539995684866

Russ
05-14-2022, 03:49 PM
https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/1525543539995684866

I love Banchero, he's possibly my No. 1 if the Spurs somehow get that choice.

But that spin move will be studied, broken down, and fully explicated like "The Waste Land" no later than Banchero's third month in his rookie season.

Bottom line, however, get Banchero if you can.

lmbebo
05-14-2022, 03:51 PM
#1 for me as well.

BatManu20
06-15-2022, 07:57 PM
Damn. Banchero is reportedly a 7-footer now with shoes on. Kid hit another growth spurt.

BatManu20
06-15-2022, 07:58 PM
Rockets gotta be licking their lips right now.

Dejounte
06-15-2022, 08:04 PM
So Sengun will be their C with Banchero at PF. That’s going to be some terrible defense. I would pair Banchero with an defensive anchor type if I was the GM.

Robz4000
06-15-2022, 08:05 PM
Rockets gotta be licking their lips right now.

Banchero prolly goes 2 now tbh. Houston gonna get Bustgrem.

BatManu20
06-15-2022, 08:16 PM
Banchero prolly goes 2 now tbh. Houston gonna get Bustgrem.

Doubt it. OKC is reportedly enamored with Holmgren. I mean they burned a mid-First Rounder on Pokusevski’s Ethiopian lookin’ ass… And Holmgren is a far better prospect. Think the Rockets are in good shape tbh. Guess we’ll find out.

John B
06-15-2022, 08:24 PM
Damn. Banchero is reportedly a 7-footer now with shoes on. Kid hit another growth spurt.

Meanwhile Primo is still 6”6 :lol

Robz4000
06-15-2022, 08:25 PM
Doubt it. OKC is reportedly enamored with Holmgren. I mean they burned a mid-First Rounder on Pokusevski’s Ethiopian lookin’ ass… And Holmgren is a far better prospect. Think the Rockets are in good shape tbh. Guess we’ll find out.

Would be pretty funny to see them trot out Poku/Holgrem at the same time to get run out of the gym.