PDA

View Full Version : Spurs seeking to play multiple home games outside San Antonio

goliath
05-02-2022, 05:05 PM
https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2022/05/02/spurs-to-propose-playing-multiple-home-games-away-from-att-center-over-next-two-regular-seasons/

goliath
05-02-2022, 05:06 PM
2 regular season games in Mexico two likely in Austin

Dejounte
05-02-2022, 05:12 PM
From the article:

”Wolff added the team has a non-relocation agreement that goes through the 2031–2032 season under penalties of $84M-130M, depending on the year.”

Spurs will stay in San Antonio for at least 10 more years.

Texas eye
05-02-2022, 05:14 PM
Spurs are not long for San Antonio.

goliath
05-02-2022, 05:18 PM
I’ve never been concerned with them relocating. This article, while they can’t relocate for 10 years, is concerning. 4 games can quickly become 8, 8 becomes 12. Then when they try to relocate they would actually have financials to present to the nba as to why it makes financial sense to relocate. Look nba we play 10 games a year in Austin or Monterrey, sell x amount of tickets more and make $x in increased revenue.

Dex
05-02-2022, 05:22 PM
HEB Center or Erwin (while it exists) could work for Austin...but San Marcos? Where the hell are they gonna play there, the local Y?

Dex
05-02-2022, 05:26 PM
Also, all this talk of the Spurs moving is silly. People have been saying the same thing for 20 years, they are under contract to stay in SA for the next 10 years and I seriously doubt that anyone is trying to uproot one of the most well established franchises in the NBA.

If Sacramento or Oklahoma City still has a team, then the Spurs don't have much to worry about. NBA will expand before the Spurs move, and they sure as shit aren't moving to Austin because nobody really cares about NBA up here.

KingKev
05-02-2022, 05:27 PM
HEB Center or Erwin (while it exists) could work for Austin...but San Marcos? Where the hell are they gonna play there, the local Y?

Outlet mall has a fair size parking lot!

That breakaway fee is comforting but 100mm might not mean much to new ownership. This team needs to stay tightly held, especially during these down years.

Dejounte
05-02-2022, 05:29 PM
I’ve never been concerned with them relocating. This article, while they can’t relocate for 10 years, is concerning. 4 games can quickly become 8, 8 becomes 12. Then when they try to relocate they would actually have financials to present to the nba as to why it makes financial sense to relocate. Look nba we play 10 games a year in Austin or Monterrey, sell x amount of tickets more and make $x in increased revenue.

IMO, what they’re doing is forward thinking. They literally plan to dominate the Texas market. The same cannot be said about Houston or Dallas.

Mr. Body
05-02-2022, 05:31 PM
Also, all this talk of the Spurs moving is silly. People have been saying the same thing for 20 years, they are under contract to stay in SA for the next 10 years and I seriously doubt that anyone is trying to uproot one of the most well established franchises in the NBA.

Exactly! This is why the Giants are Dodgers are still in New York!

goliath
05-02-2022, 05:34 PM
I agree its forward thinking. But forward thinking about, however small or remote, relocation. They know it would be hard, with the Spurs history, to relocate. They are setting the stage and getting their financials in order to show the need if necessary.

Its all going to come down to a new arena. In 7 years or so, the Spurs are going to say they need a new arena, in a new better location, to stay competitive. If they get it relocation won't be an issue. If they don't, then there will be issues.

goliath
05-02-2022, 05:36 PM
If the county were smart they would only sign off if the spurs extend the non relocation deal. Ok its to expand your footprint and has nothing to do with possible relocation add 5 years to the non relocation agreement.

baseline bum
05-02-2022, 05:39 PM
Outlet mall has a fair size parking lot!

That breakaway fee is comforting but 100mm might not mean much to new ownership. This team needs to stay tightly held, especially during these down years.

Yeah if they can get a $1 billion+ taxpayer funded stadium in Austin or Seattle what's an $84 million relocation fee going to matter? San Antonio isn't going to build them another stadium. Only got the AT&T Center because the team was coming off a title. They had a far better arena plan in 98 that went up in flames when voters shot it down.

baseline bum
05-02-2022, 05:40 PM
I agree its forward thinking. But forward thinking about, however small or remote, relocation. They know it would be hard, with the Spurs history, to relocate. They are setting the stage and getting their financials in order to show the need if necessary.

Its all going to come down to a new arena. In 7 years or so, the Spurs are going to say they need a new arena, in a new better location, to stay competitive. If they get it relocation won't be an issue. If they don't, then there will be issues.

I'd be floored if it wasn't within the next 4 or 5 years that they start begging for a new arena.

goliath
05-02-2022, 05:43 PM
I don't believe the voters shot down the 98 plan. It required tax cuts or bonds or something that the municipality or school district needed to approve before it got to the voters. They shot down the tax breaks which lead to the arena plan falling apart before it got to voters. The only plan that got before voters was the ATT center which passed.

BatManu20
05-02-2022, 05:46 PM
Move the team to Austin in 10 years when the lease is up tbh. Make it a FA destination.

https://s1.ticketm.net/dam/a/3d9/c74f01a3-a5b2-4dd0-8359-6eef2fc3b3d9_1514711_TABLET_LANDSCAPE_LARGE_16_9.j pg

baseline bum
05-02-2022, 05:51 PM

If Sacramento or Oklahoma City still has a team, then the Spurs don't have much to worry about. NBA will expand before the Spurs move, and they sure as shit aren't moving to Austin because nobody really cares about NBA up here.

Um, Oklahoma City has a team because Clay Bennett broke the Key Arena lease.

Russ
05-02-2022, 05:52 PM

If true, this is not a good sign.

The Kansas City Kings flirted with being the Kansas City-Omaha Kings before they became the Sacramento Kings.

The Dallas Chaparrals flirted with being the Texas Chaparrals (playing games in Lubbock) before they (blissfully) became the San Antonio Spurs.

It's not panic time, but this not a good sign.

ZeusWillJudge
05-02-2022, 05:53 PM
Mexico is part of the league's international ambitions. But Austin? That's not a home game. The taxpayers paid for that arena for the benefits that home games will supposedly bring. This is a good deal for the league, a good deal for the Spurs to test the relocation waters, but a lousy thing for SA.

goliath
05-02-2022, 05:59 PM
Not to mention playing games regularly in other markets leads to ownership talking to / making deals with other sponsors, talking to local politicians, dealing with potential investors. How this can viewed as anything but bad news escapes me.

I don't think they are actively trying to move. I think they see an arena fight on the horizon and are beginning to set an exit strategy if they lose that fight.

Robz4000
05-02-2022, 06:01 PM
It begins.

BatManu20
05-02-2022, 06:02 PM
From the article:

”Wolff added the team has a non-relocation agreement that goes through the 2031–2032 season under penalties of $84M-130M, depending on the year.”

Spurs will stay in San Antonio for at least 10 more years.

Michael Dell would pay those penalties like throwing a penny in a Salvation Army bucket if it meant he could move the team to Austin tbh.

KingKev
05-02-2022, 06:04 PM
Move the team to Austin in 10 years when the lease is up tbh. Make it a FA destination.

https://s1.ticketm.net/dam/a/3d9/c74f01a3-a5b2-4dd0-8359-6eef2fc3b3d9_1514711_TABLET_LANDSCAPE_LARGE_16_9.j pg

As an outsider myself Austin is a cool city I guess if you are a young professional making 100k a year. It’s hardly a FA destination for the NBA though.

What’s the big difference between Austin and San Antonio? College chicks? Hipster/tech culture?

vy65
05-02-2022, 06:04 PM
It begins.

https://c.tenor.com/d69z9Bh_RE0AAAAC/money-itch.gif

Robz4000
05-02-2022, 06:06 PM
As an outsider myself Austin is a cool city I guess if you are a young professional making 100k a year. It’s hardly a FA destination for the NBA.

What’s the big difference between Austin and San Antonio? College chicks? Hipster/tech culture?

Much more in the way of business opportunities tbh.

baseline bum
05-02-2022, 06:10 PM
I don't believe the voters shot down the 98 plan. It required tax cuts or bonds or something that the municipality or school district needed to approve before it got to the voters. They shot down the tax breaks which lead to the arena plan falling apart before it got to voters. The only plan that got before voters was the ATT center which passed.

LOL only in Texas would you use tax cuts to pay for shit. :lol

baseline bum
05-02-2022, 06:11 PM
Michael Dell would pay those penalties like throwing a penny in a Salvation Army bucket if it meant he could move the team to Austin tbh.

Only if Austin built him an arena. Dude is a scammer through and through.

MultiTroll
05-02-2022, 06:11 PM
Women hotter in Austin or in San Antonio?

ChumpDumper
05-02-2022, 06:14 PM
HEB Center or Erwin (while it exists) could work for Austin.HEB Center is way too small for regular season games. Erwin Center is done. The new Moody Center will be fine for the trial games but the Spurs would want and need their own arena to actually move up here. It all comes down to whether they could make more money up here paying for most of it themselves versus the subsidies they might get from local governments in San Antonio. The number of potential arena sites near Austin's core is dwindling as well, so I wouldn't consider a move a slam dunk. The Alamodome will be 40 years old by the time the relocation agreement expires, so the city might actually be thinking of partnering in a more useful arena on that lot.

BatManu20
05-02-2022, 06:22 PM
As an outsider myself Austin is a cool city I guess if you are a young professional making 100k a year. It’s hardly a FA destination for the NBA though.

I’m from SA but have lived in both, and still spend a fair amount of time in ATX as I have family there.

Austin is just an entirely different vibe from SA (and the rest of Texas, really). I personally think it’s a bit overrated when you consider how insanely popular it has become and how fast it has grown over the past 5 years, which has skyrocketed the cost of living there. And, I hate that’s it basically becoming California of the south, but that’s what attracts young people to it tbh. It’s an eclectic city with a vibrant night life, great food, and aesthetically beautiful scenery, as it’s located in heart of the hill country and sits on the Colorado River and Lake Travis. It just has a younger, more energetic feel to it with lots of young people (college students as you mentioned) and talentless, good-looking people who move there to be influencers or what have you.

And also as you mentioned, Tech businesses are moving there in droves, bringing lots of business opportunities with them. I even saw the other day that Austin was being mentioned as a potential destination for an expansion MLB team. The vast majority of locals in Austin don’t give a shit about baseball, but it’s such a fast growing city and it’s becoming such a melting pot of people from from all over the world, that in a decade it will likely be ripe for another professional team.

https://tourscanner.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/things-to-do-in-Austin.jpg

KingKev
05-02-2022, 06:26 PM
This is just me spitballing but in this day and age a new arena for a team who isn’t a perennial contender should offer a fuller experience for everyone. Correct me if I’m wring but downtown San Antonio could easily accommodate a 3-4yr build that would accommodate the Spurs and serve broader tourism. Just a matter of who is paying.

daslicer
05-02-2022, 06:29 PM

Spurs will have the same success in Austin as they do in SA in getting FA's. I don't understand why people can't accept that if you are not NYC, LA, Miami then you are not getting the A list FA's to come down here.

KingKev
05-02-2022, 06:29 PM
I’m from SA but have lived in both, and still spend a fair amount of time in ATX as I have family there.

Austin is just an entirely different vibe from SA (and the rest of Texas, really). I personally think it’s a bit overrated when you consider how insanely popular it has become and how fast it has grown over the past 5 years, which has skyrocketed the cost of living there. And, I hate that’s it basically becoming California of the south, but that’s what attracts young people to it tbh. It’s an eclectic city with a vibrant night life, great food, and aesthetically beautiful scenery, as it’s located in heart of the hill country and sits on the Colorado River and Lake Travis. It just has a younger, more energetic feel to it with lots of young people (college students as you mentioned) and talentless, good-looking people who move there to be influencers or what have you.

And also as you mentioned, Tech businesses are moving there in droves, bringing lots of business opportunities with them. I even saw the other day that Austin was being mentioned as a potential destination for an expansion MLB team. The vast majority of locals in Austin don’t give a shit about baseball, but it’s such a fast growing city and it’s becoming such a melting pot of people from from all over the world, that in a decade it will likely be ripe for another professional team.

https://tourscanner.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/things-to-do-in-Austin.jpg

Yeah, a great city for young professionals with a little bit of disposable income but pls don’t ever compare Austin to SoCal.

goliath
05-02-2022, 06:30 PM
Austin would need to build a new arena for the Spurs as well. Erwin wouldn’t work. H-E-B is to small. And I think the moody center is too small as well. They have places for a couple games a year but not to house a nba franchise.

BatManu20
Only if Austin built him an arena. Dude is a scammer through and through.

Yep. I remember years ago when he had to pay like a $150M settlement out of court for fraud after misleading investors by padding their quarterly earnings :lol

Dex
Um, Oklahoma City has a team because Clay Bennett broke the Key Arena lease.

Yeah, and everything good they brought from Seattle has now fled, and they are a cellar team for the foreseeable future despite the treasure chest of draft picks Presti has acquired. Oh, and they are still located in freaking Oklahoma.

Dex
05-02-2022, 06:33 PM
HEB Center is way too small for regular season games. Erwin Center is done. The new Moody Center will be fine for the trial games but the Spurs would want and need their own arena to actually move up here. It all comes down to whether they could make more money up here paying for most of it themselves versus the subsidies they might get from local governments in San Antonio. The number of potential arena sites near Austin's core is dwindling as well, so I wouldn't consider a move a slam dunk. The Alamodome will be 40 years old by the time the relocation agreement expires, so the city might actually be thinking of partnering in a more useful arena on that lot.

For a couple exhibition games or MAYBE one regular season...HEB could suffice (though much smaller than AT&T). I haven't been to Moody Center yet so can't speak for it.

But like I said...I just don't see the Austin population taking to the Spurs like San Antonians have, and I don't see San Antonians making the drive up to Austin. We struggle to fill seats as it is.

Personally, I love Austin and it's definitely a more fun and vibrant city than San Antonio...but abandoning an entire fanbase to move into UT territory would be a mistake imho

ChumpDumper
05-02-2022, 06:33 PM
This is just me spitballing but in this day and age a new arena for a team who isn’t a perennial contender should offer a fuller experience for everyone. Correct me if I’m wring but downtown San Antonio could easily accommodate a 3-4yr build that would accommodate the Spurs and serve broader tourism. Just a matter of who is paying.

SA has a great advantage with at least two potential downtown sites presently occupied by the dome and Fox Tech. The best Austin can do is an old Home Depot off I-35 that's not convenient to any real hot spots.

BatManu20
05-02-2022, 06:34 PM
Spurs will have the same success in Austin as they do in SA in getting FA's. I don't understand why people can't accept that if you are not NYC, LA, Miami then you are not getting the A list FA's to come down here.

I’m not saying Austin is LA or NYC. Not even close to either of those. But you’re kidding yourself if you don’t think Austin is more appealing to young people with money than San Antonio.

BatManu20
05-02-2022, 06:38 PM
SA has a great advantage having at least two potential downtown sites presently occupied by the dome and Fox Tech. The best Austin can do is an old Home Depot off I-35 that's not convenient to any real hot spots.

Agree that this will also play a big part. Property in Austin is selling like hot cakes right now. Fast forward a few years and it will be astronomically more expensive than it already is. Austin FC had to build their new arena 25 minutes north of the city and they bought that property 3 years ago. The Alamodome lot would be an amazing spot for a new arena/entertainment complex if they could make that work.

Dex
05-02-2022, 06:39 PM

Good post and some food for thought, tbh.

Obviously Austin now has the FC team and I've heard rumblings of an MLB or even NFL team (far fetched being in Cowboy territory)...but yeah, maybe it's not as crazy as I thought.

Russ
05-02-2022, 06:43 PM
SA has a great advantage with at least two potential downtown sites presently occupied by the dome and Fox Tech.

Victoria Courts? That's where they should have built SBC/AT&T.

Maddog
05-02-2022, 06:43 PM
In 72/73 the Houston rockets played 13 "home" games in San Antonio

I just don't see Austin as an end destination.

Dejounte
05-02-2022, 06:48 PM
https://twitter.com/jeffgspurszone/status/1521256153371578368?s=21

https://twitter.com/donharris4/status/1521262815750897664?s=21

Genius moves tbh

this is coming from someone who doesn’t care if they stay or if they go. I’ve got no ties to SA. You just can’t deny the smart moves happening here.

Leetonidas
05-02-2022, 06:50 PM
i was just gonna say, this is a nothingburger, and the people worried about the team moving should remember they're building a half billion dollar sports complex for them on the nice side of town. they ain't going anywhere for a long while

goliath
05-02-2022, 07:01 PM
https://twitter.com/jeffgspurszone/status/1521256153371578368?s=21

Genius moves tbh

this is coming from someone who doesn’t care if they stay or if they go. I’ve got no ties to SA. You just can’t deny the smart moves happening here.

I mean what are the spurs suppose to say? We are worried about getting an arena in 5-7 years and are exploring / setting wheels for relocation in 10 years

Dejounte
05-02-2022, 07:02 PM
Another snippet from the article:

“R.C. Buford, CEO of Spurs Sports & Entertainment released the following statement regarding the proposal:“From day one, we’ve received amazing support from Spurs fans in San Antonio and across South and Central Texas. We are committed to finding new, creative ways to purposefully engage and celebrate our fans from Mexico to Austin, continuing to expand our regional fanbase. We believe San Antonio is uniquely positioned from a cultural, geographic and economic standpoint to serve as the anchor for this region. San Antonio has been home for five decades and the organization will continue to innovate, positioning the Spurs to thrive in San Antonio for the next 50 years.””

Dejounte
05-02-2022, 07:03 PM
I mean what are the spurs suppose to say? We are worried about getting an arena in 5-7 years and are exploring / setting wheels for relocation in 10 years

I don’t know, man. You can worry about it for the next 5-10 years or just live on with life. I’m not so attached to the Spurs because of where they play but maybe it’s harder for folks like you who depend on them to stay. I’m sorry for all the anxiety this is causing you.

Robz4000
05-02-2022, 07:10 PM
i was just gonna say, this is a nothingburger, and the people worried about the team moving should remember they're building a half billion dollar sports complex for them on the nice side of town. they ain't going anywhere for a long while

They're building it right next to UTSA who themselves are in need of a new athletic complex with their program's rise. Could easily see the Spurs selling it at a loss if they see greater profits to be had in a move.

KingKev
05-02-2022, 07:12 PM
^ as a fan from Toronto/Van if the Spurs moved from San Antonio to Vegas I’d still be a fan and it actually
would make little difference but as a boy that early 00’s referendum was scary.

baseline bum
05-02-2022, 07:23 PM
Yep. I remember years ago when he had to pay like a $150M settlement out of court for fraud after misleading investors by padding their quarterly earnings :lol

The Gamers Nexus youtube channel got scammed by Dell ordering one of their computers. First of all Dell had an auto opt-in for a $10 a month service plan free the first month so a lot of buyers wouldn't catch it. Then they charged them $67 for their free one year warranty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DMg6hUudHE

Linus Tech Tips also did one where they bought a Dell computer and had two different extended warranties the buyer said no to charged, ended up jacking up their price $366 CAD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go5tLO6ipxw

No one should buy Dell's shit. Dell is a scamming motherfucker.

DesignatedT
05-02-2022, 07:23 PM
They just need to build a "sports complex" in New Braunfels/San Marcos which houses the Spurs, MLB, and the NFL. Get both markets and be done with it. Light Rail from both cities to the site.

goliath
05-02-2022, 07:24 PM
I don’t know, man. You can worry about it for the next 5-10 years or just live on with life. I’m not so attached to the Spurs because of where they play but maybe it’s harder for folks like you who depend on them to stay. I’m sorry for all the anxiety this is causing you.

Haha. Man I never said I was going to worry about it for the next 5-10 years or that I depend on them to stay for some reason. Also didn’t say they were leaving. Merely said I don’t think it’s a good sign.

baseline bum
05-02-2022, 07:27 PM
They just need to build a "sports complex" in New Braunfels/San Marcos which houses the Spurs, MLB, and the NFL. Get both markets and be done with it. Light Rail from both cities to the site.

New Braunfels and San Marcos aren't going to gift the Spurs a couple billion dollars to build them a new stadium. And light rail is a forever no-go in the land of Trumpistan.

baseline bum
05-02-2022, 07:30 PM

So the Spurs can't move because they have some real estate in town? LOL Don Harris.

DesignatedT
05-02-2022, 07:31 PM
Pretty sure the city of Arlington gave the Cowboys something like $300M for their new stadium. Not a couple billion.

baseline bum
05-02-2022, 07:41 PM
Pretty sure the city of Arlington gave the Cowboys something like $300M for their new stadium. Not a couple billion.

The Spurs paid less than a quarter of the costs of building the AT&T Center.

Russ
05-02-2022, 07:55 PM
The Spurs paid less than a quarter of the costs of building the AT&T Center.

The real price was its location.

Robz4000
05-02-2022, 08:03 PM
So what's everyone's plan when the Spurs move?

For me it comes down to where they move. If they go up the 35 to Austin I'll remain a fan. If they move elsewhere I'll prolly end my fandom.

CGD
05-02-2022, 08:05 PM
I buy it. Monterrey always made more sense to me than Mexico City, and cracking the “Austin nut” has been on the list. Reminds me some of when the Cowboys would do training camps in South Texas. The Oilers never stood a chance at competing in the rest of the state.

The real liability continues to be the stupid location of the ATT center. Hopefully this “experimentation” puts greater focus on that travesty of a decision.

gambit1990
05-02-2022, 08:21 PM
i wonder if the spurs worry about austin getting its own nba team at some point in the future.

there's more $ in austin than san antonio...

Russ
05-02-2022, 08:24 PM

For me it comes down to where they move. If they go up the 35 to Austin I'll remain a fan. If they move elsewhere I'll prolly end my fandom.

:toast

gambit1990
05-02-2022, 08:25 PM
austin is growing like crazy. people can't afford houses anymore ... that's how lucrative it would be for a sports franchise.

bad if you wanna buy a home, booming market for businesses.

gambit1990
05-02-2022, 08:26 PM
rc mentioned the spurs thriving in san antonio for the next 50 years... i think the san antonio spurs move to austin & the austin spurs move to san antonio.

daslicer
05-02-2022, 08:37 PM
I’m not saying Austin is LA or NYC. Not even close to either of those. But you’re kidding yourself if you don’t think Austin is more appealing to young people with money than San Antonio.

I'm not saying it's not appealing to your typical young college graduate 20 something year old professional. I'm just saying it's not going to change the free agency game for the Spurs if they relocate their.

BatManu20
05-02-2022, 08:41 PM

IF the Spurs ever left, it wouldn’t be for anywhere other than up the road imo. Vegas and Seattle are set to get expansion franchises in the near future and the other cities I’ve heard mentioned as expansion possibilities (Vancouver, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, Tampa, Montreal, etc.) don’t make any sense. The only other city that I think can even be mentioned in the conversation would be Mexico City, and I don’t ever see that happening. It’s either San Antone or Austin. This franchise is rooted in Central Texas.

baseline bum
05-02-2022, 08:42 PM

Probably stop being a fan. It's bullshit these teams try to hold cities hostage.

daslicer
05-02-2022, 09:09 PM

I'm not from Texas but there is a history that is associated with this team being the San Antonio Spurs. It can still be preserved if they become the Austin Spurs but if they move to some place out of Texas the name will be erased and forgotten and so will the history which will be heartbreaking. It will be like none of the championships ever existed. I'm definitely not going to root for them if they go beyond Austin because their identity will be deleted.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
05-02-2022, 09:19 PM
Austin may be fancier than san antonio but overall it is a pissant little flavor of the month city

Sorry senores

KingKev
05-02-2022, 09:26 PM
Off topic but ppl who say Vancouver doesn’t make sense for an NBA team are clueless and probably don’t realize a world exists outside of their own city, let alone state.

ZeusWillJudge
05-02-2022, 09:47 PM
rc mentioned the spurs thriving in san antonio for the next 50 years... i think the san antonio spurs move to austin & the austin spurs move to san antonio.

I'll spare you the animated gif and just say I sat and blinked at the screen. That couldn't really happen, could it? I mean, it almost makes sense.

ducks
05-02-2022, 10:05 PM

Why the hell should they play at a third world country basketball court ?

daslicer
05-02-2022, 10:12 PM
Off topic but ppl who say Vancouver doesn’t make sense for an NBA team are clueless and probably don’t realize a world exists outside of their own city, let alone state.

Vancouver is an amazing city and big market. I think people feel it's off the table because the NBA failed their the first time.

TD 21
05-02-2022, 10:56 PM
Vancouver is a amazing city and big market. I think people feel it's off the table because the NBA failed their the first time.

They never had a chance. Only had the team for 6 years, weren't eligible to win the lottery for something like the initial 3 and never lucked into a telegenic star they could sell to casuals, a la the Raptors with Carter.

Vancouver is a smaller, nicer Toronto, with less hype and more class . . . but if/when the NBA returns to the Pacific Northwest, it'll be to Seattle.

baseline bum
05-02-2022, 11:03 PM

They already play 82 games at them

baseline bum
05-02-2022, 11:10 PM
They never had a chance. Only had the team for 6 years, weren't eligible to win the lottery for something like the initial 3 and never lucked into a telegenic star they could sell to casuals, a la the Raptors with Carter.

Vancouver is a smaller, nicer Toronto, with less hype and more class . . . but if/when the NBA returns to the Pacific Northwest, it'll be to Seattle.

???

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_uFtpAaTZx0/Tt08Y8d0LVI/AAAAAAAAKPM/IuQurGUClCs/s1600/canucks_riots_13.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CoW0KZqU0ao/Tt08aP0O0pI/AAAAAAAAKP4/Wyuzmt4I-cw/s400/riot5.jpg

https://i.cbc.ca/1.1765173.1379203599!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/16x9_780/vancouver-riot.jpg

Though I'll give Vancouver credit for rioting after a loss instead of a win. Makes way more sense.

TD 21
05-02-2022, 11:18 PM
???

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_uFtpAaTZx0/Tt08Y8d0LVI/AAAAAAAAKPM/IuQurGUClCs/s1600/canucks_riots_13.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CoW0KZqU0ao/Tt08aP0O0pI/AAAAAAAAKP4/Wyuzmt4I-cw/s400/riot5.jpg

https://i.cbc.ca/1.1765173.1379203599!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/16x9_780/vancouver-riot.jpg

Though I'll give Vancouver credit for rioting after a loss instead of a win. Makes way more sense.

:lmao I didn't say they were infallible.

gambit1990
05-03-2022, 12:07 AM
I'll spare you the animated gif and just say I sat and blinked at the screen. That couldn't really happen, could it? I mean, it almost makes sense.
it does, right?

and that way rc and the spurs org can always say the spurs will stay in san antonio. because some version of them will be in sa.

TimDunkem
05-03-2022, 07:08 AM

What's the difference? The ATT Center is practically located in a third world area.

TimDunkem
05-03-2022, 07:09 AM
Spurs looking for fans elsewhere since our shitty fans can't be bothered to drive to the ghetto and fill seats at the ATT Center, or get enough people with cable subscriptions to actually catch games on Balley. :lol

KingKev
05-03-2022, 07:22 AM
Vancouver is an amazing city and big market. I think people feel it's off the table because the NBA failed their the first time.

Alot has changed from the sleepy city is was 25 years ago till now. Basketball rivals hockey as Canada’s sport these days and the foreign wealth in Vancouver is remarkable. Especially asian wealth and they love basketball.

KingKev
05-03-2022, 07:23 AM
:lmao I didn't say they were infallible.

hahah set yourself up for that one. Canadian hockey fans have been pretty starved for success lol.

ginobilized
05-03-2022, 08:49 AM
I don't believe that this phenomenon is unique to the Spurs.
The NBA is encouraging/demanding teams play some games in other markets.

lebomb
05-03-2022, 08:51 AM
They're building it right next to UTSA who themselves are in need of a new athletic complex with their program's rise. Could easily see the Spurs selling it at a loss if they see greater profits to be had in a move.

UTSA just built a new athletics complex. The RACE. Google is your friend bro.

KingKev
05-03-2022, 10:51 AM
I’m not sure Mexico City would ever be a real NBA destination. Too damn far relative to most of the league.

bluebellmaniac
05-03-2022, 11:55 AM
2 Exhibition games are in Seattle... :oops

Das Texan
05-03-2022, 12:12 PM

You dont build the practice facility they are currently building if you have any plans to peace out anytime soon, tbh.

The Truth #6
05-03-2022, 12:12 PM
The thing is, you can interpret this announcement any way you want. Only over time can we really say which way this is going. I doubt the Spurs have decided anything at this point.

One thing I’m curious about is the balance of team income from home games (tickets and concessions et cetera) vs television. Now, I think teams ridiculously make money from the arena year round for whatever events are there. Publicly subsidized for private profit, but need clarification. Austin is a better city to have an arena in general but probably more competition for events, because I think UT has its own new arena that Matthew McConaughey was an investor in; I don’t keep up withis though, I’ll admit.

Finally, most importantly in my opinion, the Brooklyn Nets eminent domain boondoggle should open our eyes that building an arena is really just the legal excuse to take over a neighborhood for a larger real estate deal that only includes an arena but isn’t limited to it; for Brooklyn it was condos and retail space I believe.

If I was a developer looking to pull this type of move, honestly, between the cost of Austin real estate fair market value and east side SA, I would push to tear down the Alamo Dome, start over, build a shit load of condos and retail space right on the edge of downtown SA. It’s definitely growing quickly there.

So anyway, that’s one of many possible predictions based on dubious real estate practices that would actually keep the team in SA. It’s still a lot of bullshit, but would keep the team here and probably the best of all real world scenarios.

goliath
05-03-2022, 12:23 PM
I don't think it has to be either/or or black/white. The Spurs can be doing this to widen their footprint and to also see how the team would do in another market. The Spurs can both want to stay and be laying the ground work if they have to explore a move.

I don't think they want to move. But I also think you're putting your head in the sand if you don't think the Spurs will be looking for a new arena by the time the ATT lease is up. Im sure they look at the last arena vote. There were legit questions as to if it would pass. And that was coming off a title, with the youngest brightest star in the league on our team and no mid sized arena in San Antonio.

SAGirl
05-03-2022, 01:59 PM
There’s more to this… 1521542387562168321

RGMCSE
05-03-2022, 02:04 PM

baseline bum
05-03-2022, 02:21 PM
What's the difference? The ATT Center is practically located in a third world area.

Toyota Center and American Airlines Center are in Texas too tbh

BatManu20
05-03-2022, 02:23 PM
Looks like Austin’s only getting one year instead of two after a 3-2 vote by the BCCO.

SAGirl
05-03-2022, 02:24 PM
This story keeps having legs
1521540287893544962 (https://twitter.com/jeffgspurszone/status/1521540287893544962?s=21&t=gsDE1G8iRDAU7oFBZyc_qQ)

goliath
05-03-2022, 02:25 PM
Supposedly the Spurs could already play two home games away from ATT center but have never exercised that option.

baseline bum
05-03-2022, 02:26 PM
:cry poop and lbrn offended me by talking bad about Dear Leader Trump and saying negro lives mattered :cry

BatManu20
05-03-2022, 02:32 PM
This story keeps having legs
1521540287893544962 (https://twitter.com/jeffgspurszone/status/1521540287893544962?s=21&t=gsDE1G8iRDAU7oFBZyc_qQ)

Spurs likely never need to when they were successful for 2 decades and attendance was consistently high. Now that we’ve had 3 down years in a row, they’re losing revenue and are looking to get more from surrounding areas, in both the short and long term. Austin is booming right now unlike ever before. The growth that’s taken place there over the past 5 years is unprecedented, and it’s only expected to grow even more over the next decade with people and major Tech corporations flooding in every year. There’s real opportunity and money to be made there, and Spurs Sports & Entertainment are interested to see if they can capitalize and gain any traction.

rjv
05-03-2022, 02:36 PM
best way to solve this problem is to fill the seats. this seems like a pretty girl, being taken for granted by a boyfriend, going out with someone she says is just a 'friend'.

NASpurs
05-03-2022, 03:20 PM
itshappening.gif

cd98
05-03-2022, 03:28 PM
I mean it's going to make too much sense to move to Austin and it wouldn't change my fandom at all.

CapitalEmm
05-03-2022, 04:37 PM
People saying the Spurs aren’t going anywhere are probably the same people that thought Kawhi wasn’t leaving :lol.

KingKev
05-03-2022, 05:12 PM
The thing is, you can interpret this announcement any way you want. Only over time can we really say which way this is going. I doubt the Spurs have decided anything at this point.

One thing I’m curious about is the balance of team income from home games (tickets and concessions et cetera) vs television. Now, I think teams ridiculously make money from the arena year round for whatever events are there. Publicly subsidized for private profit, but need clarification. Austin is a better city to have an arena in general but probably more competition for events, because I think UT has its own new arena that Matthew McConaughey was an investor in; I don’t keep up withis though, I’ll admit.

Finally, most importantly in my opinion, the Brooklyn Nets eminent domain boondoggle should open our eyes that building an arena is really just the legal excuse to take over a neighborhood for a larger real estate deal that only includes an arena but isn’t limited to it; for Brooklyn it was condos and retail space I believe.

If I was a developer looking to pull this type of move, honestly, between the cost of Austin real estate fair market value and east side SA, I would push to tear down the Alamo Dome, start over, build a shit load of condos and retail space right on the edge of downtown SA. It’s definitely growing quickly there.

So anyway, that’s one of many possible predictions based on dubious real estate practices that would actually keep the team in SA. It’s still a lot of bullshit, but would keep the team here and probably the best of all real world scenarios.

The television revenue is shared league wide I believe.

Dex
05-03-2022, 06:11 PM
Spurs: "We aren't looking to move the team from San Antonio"

SpursTalk: "WHAT DOES THAT MEAN!?"

gambit1990
05-03-2022, 06:30 PM
"there's a lot of concern about what you're doing."

baseline bum
05-03-2022, 06:43 PM
Spurs: "We aren't looking to move the team from San Antonio"

SpursTalk: "WHAT DOES THAT MEAN!?"

And Clay Bennett said he wasn't looking to move the Sonics out of Seattle.

Dejounte
05-03-2022, 07:16 PM
https://twitter.com/realtompetrini/status/1521636568188039168?s=21

Dejounte
05-03-2022, 07:18 PM
So let’s just not believe what anybody says, it’s not like we’ve been fear mongering about the Spurs moving out of SA for the last decade :lmao let’s continue for a decade more! Jesus, some guys are fully invested into this schtick their entire lives.

Seventyniner
05-03-2022, 07:28 PM
This does give me some "methinks he doth protest too much" vibes. My concern over the Spurs moving was a 0.5 out of 10 prior to all this, now it's a 1.5. I highly doubt they move, but it seems obvious from all the talk that some higher-ups are nervous about the prospect.

KingKev
05-03-2022, 07:44 PM
The flip side of it is imagine if the Spurs and their ownership weren’t doing things to promote their brand and invest i. The future? In that scenario, coupled with a few down years and an aging arena they probably would be forced to move.

Strategic
05-03-2022, 07:50 PM
Nothing being said about the richest dude in the world by a long shot now setting up shop in Austin. He can wipe his tush with Holts pesos. This shit was always an issue with the Spurs, even during the glory days.

baseline bum
05-03-2022, 07:58 PM
So let’s just not believe what anybody says, it’s not like we’ve been fear mongering about the Spurs moving out of SA for the last decade :lmao let’s continue for a decade more! Jesus, some guys are fully invested into this schtick their entire lives.

Yeah teams never leave town after town refuses to gift them a new arena. It's not a problem this minute but the Spurs will be begging for taxpayers to build them a new arena in the next 3 or 4 years.

gambit1990
05-03-2022, 08:16 PM
don't forgot that the spurs also sold some ownership to a consulting firm or whatever. that group only cares about $$.

baseline bum
05-03-2022, 08:22 PM
don't forgot that the spurs also sold some ownership to a consulting firm or whatever. that group only cares about $$.

20% of the Spurs to some group from San Francisco, 10% to scammer Dell.

ChumpDumper
05-03-2022, 08:25 PM
Yeah teams never leave town after town refuses to gift them a new arena. It's not a problem this minute but the Spurs will be begging for taxpayers to build them a new arena in the next 3 or 4 years.

This is probably true. The thing is even a relatively stingy offer from SA/Bexar will likely be a whole lot more generous than one from Austin/Travis. The MLS team tried to big dick Austin into giving it an existing park right on the river and ended up on a toxic waste dump a bit of a hike away from the Domain. I think a decent deal on a downtown arena will be enough to convince the current owners to keep the Spurs in San Antonio for another 20 years.

All bets are off if some tech douche buys the team.

Dex
05-03-2022, 08:29 PM
And Clay Bennett said he wasn't looking to move the Sonics out of Seattle.

Clay Bennett had recently bought the Sonics in 2006 with a "good faith agreement" to keep them in Seattle. By 2007, he had already started the move to OKC.

The Holt family has been pushing to keep the team in San Antonio since 1993, and as recently as THIS ARTICLE is saying that is their intention.

Come on, bum. Let's not compare apples to oranges here.

Also, as I said before... SAN ANTONIO has accomplished more than the Sonics or Thunder ever did. You don't just move a key franchise easily, but y'all can keep jizzing over the possibility all you want....

baseline bum
05-03-2022, 08:34 PM
Clay Bennett had recently bought the Sonics in 2006 with a "good faith agreement" to keep them in Seattle. By 2007, he had already started the move to OKC.

The Holt family has been pushing to keep the team in San Antonio since 1993, and as recently as THIS ARTICLE is saying that is their intention.

Come on, bum. Let's not compare apples to oranges here.

Also, as I said before... SAN ANTONIO has accomplished more than the Sonics or Thunder ever did. You don't just move a key franchise easily, but y'all can keep jizzing over the possibility all you want....

Of course the franchise will be moved if San Antonio or Bexar County doesn't gift the Spurs a boatload of welfare money to build a new arena. Have you paid no attention to the last 25 years of professional sports?

Dex
05-03-2022, 08:36 PM
Of course the franchise will be moved if San Antonio or Bexar County doesn't gift the Spurs a boatload of welfare money to build a new arena. Have you paid no attention to the last 25 years of professional sports?

Been here the whole time, buddy...so let's agree to disagree.

Hopefully, I'll see you at a Spurs game in San Antonio in 2032.

baseline bum
05-03-2022, 08:39 PM
This is probably true. The thing is even a relatively stingy offer from SA/Bexar will likely be a whole lot more generous than one from Austin/Travis. The MLS team tried to big dick Austin into giving it an existing park right on the river and ended up on a toxic waste dump a bit of a hike away from the Domain. I think a decent deal on a downtown arena will be enough to convince the current owners to keep the Spurs in San Antonio for another 20 years.

All bets are off if some tech douche buys the team.

What do you consider a decent deal? I mean the Spurs only paid 24% of the cost for the AT&T Center. Then had the nerve to charge the county a quarter million to use AT&T Center as a polling location in the 2020 election.

baseline bum
05-03-2022, 08:42 PM
Been here the whole time, buddy...so let's agree to disagree.

Hopefully, I'll see you at a Spurs game in San Antonio in 2032.

You disagree that teams hold their cities hostage to build them new arenas and stadiums and then leave when they don't? If San Antonio is such an attractive market that could hold onto a franchise without massive welfare payments then where is our NFL team? Our MLB team?

ChumpDumper
05-03-2022, 08:56 PM
What do you consider a decent deal? I mean the Spurs only paid 24% of the cost for the AT&T Center. Then had the nerve to charge the county a quarter million to use AT&T Center as a polling location in the 2020 election.

Something like that, though I'm guessing the city might be willing to pony up this time to have an 18-20k arena downtown and let the county suck on it when the rodeo isn't in town. If the Alamodome stops getting NCAA tournament bids in the next decade, it's going to be easier to decide to kill it. It looks like UTSA is jamming all the venues it can on the main campus so it can build a football stadium at Campus West. I could absolutely be wrong but things could work out for a new downtown SA arena in 10-15 years. Best bet for the Austin area seems to be for an arena near one of the new Domain clones that are planned for NE Austin and Round Rock. You have to squint hard to see that happening but there is going to be an obscene amount of growth up here in the next decade.

I'm sure whatever entity subsidizing them will try to learn from past mistakes, but the Spurs will never get anything close to that kind of deal in Austin. Round Rock/Williamson County? Maybe.

Dex
05-03-2022, 08:59 PM
You disagree that teams hold their cities hostage to build them new arenas and stadiums and then leave when they don't? If San Antonio is such an attractive market that could hold onto a franchise without massive welfare payments then where is our NFL team? Our MLB team?

San Antonio will never be the market for an NFL or MLB team with the Cowboys/Texans and Astros/Rangers ruling the market. They tried that with the Alamodome and failed to draw an NFL team, and now we are lucky to show a fucking bowl game once a year.

Austin is more likely to draw another major league team than SA at this point.

San Antonio does have the benefit of being most successful and storied NBA franchise in Texas, and that's why it will continue to be in San Antonio.

The metro is fucking huge and only expanding into New Braunfels, San Marcos, Austin, etc....which is why this effort from the Spurs B&E group is smart to tap into that market, and not a sign they are trying to jump ship.

K...
05-03-2022, 09:14 PM
San Antonio will never be the market for an NFL or MLB team with the Cowboys/Texans and Astros/Rangers ruling the market. They tried that with the Alamodome and failed to draw an NFL team, and now we are lucky to show a fucking bowl game once a year.

San Antonio does have the benefit of being most successful and storied NBA franchise in Texas, and that's why it will continue to be in San Antonio.

The metro is fucking huge and only expanding into New Braunfels, San Marcos, Austin, etc....which is why this effort from the Spurs B&E group is smart to tap into that market, and not a sign they are trying to jump ship.

austin will never get another pro team, but a suburb of SA or Austin might.

on a larger point, conta Benefactor, land costs are much higher now than 20yrs ago. it's much harder to build new arenas. I think in all sports, the era of free stadiums is over, cities don't have the $$$ to do it. Sports are moving to a niche audience with the death of broadcast. Maybe the NBA finds a better streaming partner, but the days of infinite money are coming to an end. Politics are polarized too, so much harder to cater to a broad audience. Unless nba can go international, it's probably peaked in this country.

baseline bum
05-03-2022, 09:26 PM
Something like that, though I'm guessing the city might be willing to pony up this time to have an 18-20k arena downtown and let the county suck on it when the rodeo isn't in town. If the Alamodome stops getting NCAA tournament bids in the next decade, it's going to be easier to decide to kill it. It looks like UTSA is jamming all the venues it can on the main campus so it can build a football stadium at Campus West. I could absolutely be wrong but things could work out for a new downtown SA arena in 10-15 years. Best bet for the Austin area seems to be for an arena near one of the new Domain clones that are planned for NE Austin and Round Rock. You have to squint hard to see that happening but there is going to be an obscene amount of growth up here in the next decade.

I'm sure whatever entity subsidizing them will try to learn from past mistakes, but the Spurs will never get anything close to that kind of deal in Austin. Round Rock/Williamson County? Maybe.

God I hope not. Would suck to see San Antonio have to dump Pre K or something else useful to give millionaires and billionaires a new arena for 75% off. Not sure why the city would be so eager though, these stadiums never pay for themselves.

CGD
05-03-2022, 09:29 PM
Interesting that they’re planning a game in the Alamodome. Can they demo that thing and use the location for next stadium?

objective
05-03-2022, 09:38 PM
Maybe to get Zach Lavine they'll give him the wink wink that if he signs and extends another contract on top he and Dejounte can be the faces of leadership that take a team to Seattle

ChumpDumper
05-03-2022, 09:38 PM
God I hope not. Would suck to see San Antonio have to dump Pre K or something else useful to give millionaires and billionaires a new arena for 75% off. Not sure why the city would be so eager though, these stadiums never pay for themselves.

Oh I agree. The money for big time sports just gets stupid. There's a fair chance the city can just soak the tourists like the county did. I do think there is a perceived need for a downtown arena for multiple events. The trick is not letting all the money go to SS&E.

CGD
05-03-2022, 09:51 PM
Attendance is down across the league and not just in markets and rebuilding situations like San Antonio. It will be explained away by pandemic, but frankly it’s part of a larger trend tied to how younger fans consume the sport.

In that world you gotta give folks more options in a proximate location to the sporting venue— bars/dinner, betting, nightlife — or alternatively make your stadium a hub for all that stuff. Bottom line the ATT center is neither.

baseline bum
05-03-2022, 09:54 PM
Attendance is down across the league and not just in markets and rebuilding situations like San Antonio. It will be explained away by pandemic, but frankly it’s part of a larger trend tied to how younger fans consume the sport.

In that world you gotta give folks more options in a proximate location to the sporting venue— bars/dinner, betting, nightlife — or alternatively make your stadium a hub for all that stuff. Bottom line the ATT center is neither.

At least lots of hookers nearby though.

gambit1990
05-03-2022, 10:00 PM
Interesting that they’re planning a game in the Alamodome. Can they demo that thing and use the location for next stadium?
that would be incredible for the franchise and the city itself.

still not as good as moving to austin but downtown sa >>> at&t center.

widowmaker
05-03-2022, 10:24 PM
At least lots of hookers nearby though.

Tell ur mom to stop hookin. Spurs up hoes down.

daslicer
05-03-2022, 10:38 PM

My home team is the Hornets. In 2020 they were ranked 28 in home attendance. Last year they were 10th and this year they were 15th in home attendance. The Hornets' arena is located in the best location of Charlotte where all the clubs, bars, restaurants are located. Still despite this until the last 2 years they had terrible home attendance. What I think has caused their home attendance to change is they are now a promising young team with an exciting young star in Lamelo plus they are now playing above .500 ball. Spurs need to start winning to improve their attendance. This is easier said then done.

Arcadian
05-03-2022, 10:58 PM
Mexico is part of the league's international ambitions. But Austin? That's not a home game. The taxpayers paid for that arena for the benefits that home games will supposedly bring. This is a good deal for the league, a good deal for the Spurs to test the relocation waters, but a lousy thing for SA.

There's a ton of Spurs fans in Austin. It's only 90 minutes away (or like 15 on a jet).

lebomb
05-04-2022, 06:19 AM
My home team is the Hornets. In 2020 they were ranked 28 in home attendance. Last year they were 10th and this year they were 15th in home attendance. The Hornets' arena is located in the best location of Charlotte where all the clubs, bars, restaurants are located. Still despite this until the last 2 years they had terrible home attendance. What I think has caused their home attendance to change is they are now a promising young team with an exciting young star in Lamelo plus they are now playing above .500 ball. Spurs need to start winning to improve their attendance. This is easier said then done.

Exactly..............winning solves everything. Noone said shiat about home games elsewhere or moving when we had the Big 3.

Maddog
05-04-2022, 07:04 AM
I don't see this as a harbinger of a future move to Austin. I suspect this is a move to increase local viewership
Yes there are Spurs fans in Austin- and that's part the reason to do this.
A lot NBA team revenue comes from local media rights and there is a huge disparity in this. Lakers get 140 million Memphis gets 9 million. I suspect The Spurs is closer to Memphis.
"National revenues drive up the cap, but local revenues are needed to keep up with player salaries," one owner explained to ESPN. "If a team can't generate enough local revenues, they lose money."
Having Austin viewership will help but Mexico City? That would be huge.

Austin in some aspects is the bright shiny new toy or Grass is greener.
SA and Austin Metro areas are similar in size and GDP. I keep hearing how it will merge into a large metroplex, but I don't see it. Even combined they wouldn't make the top 10 and the distance is too large.
Center of Dallas to center of Forth Worth is ~31 miles. In Atlanta the vast majority of the population is within a 30 mile radius.

Seattle is far and away the destination that could pull a team. Of course arena issues are a problem.

Dex
05-04-2022, 08:36 AM
I don't see this as a harbinger of a future move to Austin. I suspect this is a move to increase local viewership
A lot NBA team revenue comes from local media rights and there is a huge disparity in this. Lakers get 140 million Memphis gets 9 million. I suspect The Spurs is closer to Memphis.
"National revenues drive up the cap, but local revenues are needed to keep up with player salaries," one owner explained to ESPN. "If a team can't generate enough local revenues, they lose money."

SA and Austin Metro areas are similar in size and GDP. I keep hearing how it will merge into a large metroplex, but I don't see it. Even combined they wouldn't make the top 10 and the distance is too large.
Center of Dallas to center of Forth Worth is ~31 miles. In Atlanta the vast majority of the population is within a 30 mile radius.

Seattle is far and away the destination that could pull a team. Of course arena issues are a problem.

As someone who has basically split his lifetime in San Antonio and Austin, I agree that the distance is too great to reliably expect the already established fan-base in San Antonio to travel to Austin.

I'm a die-hard Spurs fan...always have been, always will be. When I lived in San Antonio, I would usually go to 3-5 games a year.

Now that I'm living in north Austin, I'm lucky to make it to one or two games a year because it's an entirely different commitment.

I have to decide if I want to spend 2 hours each way in high traffic times, or pay out for a hotel in SA and make a trip of it. Either way, it's a lot more planning and money spent rather than just checking to see if some tickets are available for a random game or whatever and driving 15 minutes to get there.

If the Spurs were really to commit to moving to Austin, they'd have to be fairly certain that they could establish an entirely new fan base here because I guarantee the average Spurs fan isn't going to make that trip regularly. And as I mentioned before, you would be trying to sell a new team in UT territory. Austin FC has shown that's not impossible, but still a challenge.

The other option would be to split the difference and set up somewhere like New Braunfels or San Marcos, but then you are asking BOTH people from San Antonio and Austin to drive out and that's a tough sell to.

Dex
05-04-2022, 08:37 AM

As someone who has basically split his lifetime in San Antonio and Austin, I agree that the distance is too great to reliably expect the already established fan-base in San Antonio to travel to Austin.

I'm a die-hard Spurs fan...always have been, always will be. When I lived in San Antonio, I would usually go to 3-5 games a year.

Now that I'm living in north Austin, I'm lucky to make it to one or two games a year because it's an entirely different commitment.

I have to decide if I want to spend 2 hours each way in high traffic times, or pay out for a hotel in SA and make a trip of it. Either way, it's a lot more planning and money spent rather than just checking to see if some tickets are available for a random game or whatever and driving 15 minutes to get there.

If the Spurs were really to commit to moving to Austin, they'd have to be fairly certain that they could establish an entirely new fan base here because I guarantee the average Spurs fan isn't going to make that trip regularly. And as I mentioned before, you would be trying to sell a new team in UT territory. Austin FC has shown that's not impossible, but still a challenge.

The other option would be to split the difference and set up somewhere like New Braunfels or San Marcos, but then you are asking BOTH people from San Antonio and Austin to drive out and that's a tough sell, too.

Maddog
05-04-2022, 10:45 AM

The other option would be to split the difference and set up somewhere like New Braunfels or San Marcos, but then you are asking BOTH people from San Antonio and Austin to drive out and that's a tough sell, too.

One time in the distant past when the Spurs and Rockets where somewhat struggling I suggested to one of my Houston friends they should combine the two and call them the Schulenburg Sprockets

Would agree moving the team to Austin would necessitate the need to create a new fan base and you would give up generational fan base. And it's not like your moving to a top 10 metro area either

ZeusWillJudge
05-04-2022, 11:14 AM
There's a ton of Spurs fans in Austin. It's only 90 minutes away (or like 15 on a jet).

Yeah, I said later in the thread that if they are trying to drum up interest in Austin to get people to commute to Spurs games, it would benefit SA. IF having two proxy "home" games will accomplish that. Like I said, that looks a little thin to me, but it's a theory.

ZeusWillJudge
05-04-2022, 11:30 AM

LOL. Oh, man, I wish I could just speak freely. There are a hundred different ways that "friends" in government can and do get compensated. I heard a rumor about a City Councilman who was given 4 ridiculously good tickets to the Final Four some years back that were worth about $1,500 each through scalpers. Just a rumor. Not that he gave them to us or anything. That would have been wrong for me to accept.

It's not that "the city" would be eager. Just the few necessary officials.

Dex
05-04-2022, 12:08 PM
One time in the distant past when the Spurs and Rockets where somewhat struggling I suggested to one of my Houston friends they should combine the two and call them the Schulenburg Sprockets

Would agree moving the team to Austin would necessitate the need to create a new fan base and you would give up generational fan base. And it's not like your moving to a top 10 metro area either

The San Antonio metro population is actually larger than the Austin metro population...it's just far more spread out and not as "hip". But like you said, the Spurs already have deep roots in the community and local businesses, something that would have to be totally reset if they moved to Austin.

Somewhere like Seattle would obviously embrace any team they got, but I anticipate they'll get one through expansion before a team moves there.

DJR210
05-04-2022, 02:07 PM
The Spurs better start winning or they can say goodbye in 2032. I have faith we're on the right track..

Arcadian
05-04-2022, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I said later in the thread that if they are trying to drum up interest in Austin to get people to commute to Spurs games, it would benefit SA. IF having two proxy "home" games will accomplish that. Like I said, that looks a little thin to me, but it's a theory.
Either way, you'd have 99% Spurs fans in attendance at an Austin home game. And it takes the team only slightly longer to get there. So how is that not a home game?

koriwhat
05-04-2022, 02:15 PM
Well then those sir aren't "home" games.

stephen jackson
05-04-2022, 02:56 PM
Sayonara spurs

TD 21
05-04-2022, 04:03 PM
I'm not going to pretend to so much as have a feel for their intentions, but I do know that franchises with this type of (recent) history generally don't move and the optics of it even being a remote possibility is not something a league would want.

Call it naive, but maybe this is just to scare the community into not taking them for granted and/or the league into giving them a high pick so that they have an attraction to sell to casuals.

goliath
05-04-2022, 05:16 PM
https://deadspin.com/the-spurs-in-a-different-city-maybe-even-a-different-c-1848881946?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=dlvrit&utm_content=deadspin

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/05/04/spurs-request-games-austin-mexico-city-monterrey-media-market-expansion-relocation-concerns

But no need to worry

slick'81
05-04-2022, 09:53 PM
https://deadspin.com/the-spurs-in-a-different-city-maybe-even-a-different-c-1848881946?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=dlvrit&utm_content=deadspin

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/05/04/spurs-request-games-austin-mexico-city-monterrey-media-market-expansion-relocation-concerns

But no need to worry

New holt ownership still mum af

CGD
05-05-2022, 08:56 AM

Fair, but I'd argue our sports markets are very different. You are right smack in the middle of college sports fandom with SEC football to the south and ACC basketball to the north, so fans have many more in-person options (not to mention the NFL Panthers). We only really have the Spurs to enjoy in person.

daslicer
05-05-2022, 09:30 AM
Fair, but I'd argue our sports markets are very different. You are right smack in the middle of college sports fandom with SEC football to the south and ACC basketball to the north, so fans have many more in-person options (not to mention the NFL Panthers). We only really have the Spurs to enjoy in person.

The fact that college sports is so big in NC should prove why winning is important when it comes to getting good attendance. Sure like you mentioned Charlotte has the Panthers, and college sports but they don't have an impact on the Hornets attendance when they are winning. It really comes down to winning more so than location.

Charlotte also used to lead the league in home attendance for nearly all of the 90's. It fell apart once scandals hit the team with the ownership group along with their attempts to move. If those scandals didn't happen and the team consistently played above .500 ball like they did during the 90's and early '00s there is no doubt in my mind their attendance would be one of the best in the league.

mudd
05-05-2022, 12:14 PM
Agreed sporting venues need to be walkable and near downtown bars, restaurants and the like. You think attendance took a big hit when Pop alienates half of the spurs fans with his political rants? All this $hit adds up to poor attendance and lack of support! Spurs are good as gone!

Dverde
05-05-2022, 04:48 PM
People need to buy up those tickets to watch this mediocrity. I don’t think the Spurs are going anywhere. I could see them playing more home games in Austin. It makes sense to me and the players would probably welcome it.

CGD
05-05-2022, 07:58 PM
The fact that college sports is so big in NC should prove why winning is important when it comes to getting good attendance. Sure like you mentioned Charlotte has the Panthers, and college sports but they don't have an impact on the Hornets attendance when they are winning. It really comes down to winning more so than location.

Charlotte also used to lead the league in home attendance for nearly all of the 90's. It fell apart once scandals hit the team with the ownership group along with their attempts to move. If those scandals didn't happen and the team consistently played above .500 ball like they did during the 90's and early '00s there is no doubt in my mind their attendance would be one of the best in the league.

Forgot about those early expansion Hornet teams with Zo and LJ. They were tough.

I still think a good location has a huge smoothing effect during the lean times, so that the team isn’t so dependent on the boom and bust cycle. An example: I lived in Baltimore once upon a time. The Os stunk, but tickets were reasonable, the stadium was awesome (one of the best in baseball tbh), and my buddies and I would regularly peace out around the 5 or 6th to head over to Fed Hill/Fells Point (nearby neighborhoods along the harbor) to continue the evening. The game was just part of the larger outing, but bottom line we still bought tickets to the game.

gambit1990
05-06-2022, 12:34 AM
VERY savvy of the spurs to do.

also interesting that NO other team is doing this.

i talked to a higher up in austin. they said the mavs & rockets have no plans to play in austin. sa is obviously closer but i thought it was worth asking.

they also said there’s no plan for the spurs moving to austin. they don’t work for the spurs org but are directly related. that information would be super hush hush anyways.

BatManu20
05-17-2022, 01:50 PM

exstatic
05-17-2022, 02:05 PM

Texans are nothing in this town. I don’t think JJ would object to an AFC team here, since he could still beam his Cowboys crack to the faithful on Sundays.