PDA

View Full Version : Chet Holmgren - 2022 NBA Draft Prospect

timvp
05-02-2022, 10:50 PM
Imagining Chet Holmgren Getting Drafted by the San Antonio Spurs (https://www.spurstalk.com/chet-holmgren-san-antonio-spurs-2022-nba-draft/)

That'd be an awesome turn of events, tbh. I still slightly prefer Paolo Banchero but I'd be equally as excited for Holmgren. You put the right players around him and Holmgren could become a monster.

Uriel
05-02-2022, 11:44 PM
I like Holmgren a lot. But if he is the pick, Poeltl may be a goner after his free agency next summer. I think that would be a real shame because I believe Poeltl is currently the second best player on the team.

That’s why I’d prefer someone like Banchero or Smith. I think their fit in our current roster is much cleaner.

Spursfanfromafar
05-03-2022, 01:02 AM
From what I have seen (albeit a limited viewing), Jabari Smith ~> Holmgren ~> Banchero. Smith hits threes more frequently and more easily than the other two, and is a much more nimble defender. Lets see.

exstatic
05-03-2022, 07:24 AM
I like Holmgren a lot. But if he is the pick, Poeltl may be a goner after his free agency next summer. I think that would be a real shame because I believe Poeltl is currently the second best player on the team.

That’s why I’d prefer someone like Banchero or Smith. I think their fit in our current roster is much cleaner.

Poeltl would still be gone. He’s probably going to want to at least double his salary, and we have too many youngsters in line to get paid. There are reportedly several teams interested, and you want to get something for him, rather than see him walk as an UFA.

KingKev
05-03-2022, 07:25 AM
I’d have Chet behind Smith and Banchero. If we had the 3rd pick and he is on the board you have to take a chance on him and live with the consequences.

KobesAchilles
05-03-2022, 07:58 AM
Poeltl would still be gone. He’s probably going to want to at least double his salary, and we have too many youngsters in line to get paid. There are reportedly several teams interested, and you want to get something for him, rather than see him walk as an UFA.
He may want that salary but no team is going to offer him it. He will be lucky to make $10 million a year. When we were good, people liked to over pay for our centers (like Baynes and Dedmon) but now that we suck I can’t imagine anybody offering Poeltl 18 million a year. If they do then god bless him and take the money but he’s more in line for the the 10 a year club I think

mo7888
05-03-2022, 08:16 AM
Imagining Chet Holmgren Getting Drafted by the San Antonio Spurs (https://www.spurstalk.com/chet-holmgren-san-antonio-spurs-2022-nba-draft/)

That'd be an awesome turn of events, tbh. I still slightly prefer Paolo Banchero but I'd be equally as excited for Holmgren. You put the right players around him and Holmgren could become a monster.

Good stuff.. I've got him 3rd on my BB behind Banchero and Smith but, only because of his frame. If he fills out and retaubs his quickness then he's by far the best player in the draft. I'm just not confident enough that he'll fill out to take the risk at 1 or 2...

mo7888
05-03-2022, 08:22 AM
He may want that salary but no team is going to offer him it. He will be lucky to make $10 million a year. When we were good, people liked to over pay for our centers (like Baynes and Dedmon) but now that we suck I can’t imagine anybody offering Poeltl 18 million a year. If they do then god bless him and take the money but he’s more in line for the the 10 a year club I think

He'll easily get his money if he waits until next year. The hope should be thst he accepts an extension this summer (which I believe is capped out around $12M per). That gives us a more valuable trade chip because He'll be locked up longer term..

KobesAchilles
05-03-2022, 09:14 AM
He'll easily get his money if he waits until next year. The hope should be thst he accepts an extension this summer (which I believe is capped out around $12M per). That gives us a more valuable trade chip because He'll be locked up longer term..
I hope he has fun in Detroit or whatever shithole organization decides to pay him 18 million a year :lmao

BatManu20
05-03-2022, 10:18 AM
Think PATFO would love to have this kid. Best shot blocker in the Draft at 7’1 with a 7’6 wingspan. That’ll be his calling card at the next level. But he’s also really skilled for a Center, as can shoot the 3, is a good passer, and can handle the rock well for someone his size. He’s definitely a unicorn.

Some legitimate concerns about his strength though as he only weighs 195 lbs right now. He’ll never be a bruiser, but if/when he adds 15-20 lbs of muscle, I think he’ll be alright in today’s NBA. I really like his attitude from all the interviews I’ve seen on him. No BS kinda guy.

With all that said, I see him as more of a really good piece of the puzzle rather than a true franchise player. A stretch 4/5 who can anchor a team defensively down low and create spacing on the offensive end while also being a good pick-n-roll or pick-n-pop guy.

KingKev
05-03-2022, 10:22 AM
I hope he has fun in Detroit or whatever shithole organization decides to pay him 18 million a year :lmao

I think it depends on who has cap space in 2023. 15mm a year is a fair price I’d say but I’d be against offering him that unless we looked like we were closing in on becoming a solid playoff team. I think he is extension eligable for 4yrs 50mm. Probably makes sense to sign him to that if he agrees as that is a moveable contract.

Jak could easily play with all 3 of the top bigs in this draft IMO.

KobesAchilles
05-03-2022, 10:42 AM
I think it depends on who has cap space in 2023. 15mm a year is a fair price I’d say but I’d be against offering him that unless we looked like we were closing in on becoming a solid playoff team. I think he is extension eligable for 4yrs 50mm. Probably makes sense to sign him to that if he agrees as that is a moveable contract.

Jak could easily play with all 3 of the top bigs in this draft IMO.

I'm not sure which contenders have actual money to spend. Like the Lakers could definitely use Jak but they can't pay him. Same with the Nets. If I'm Utah, I am looking hard at Gobert and trying to trade him for Jak, filler, and their FRP. Gobert has wilted in the playoffs over and over again while Jak has never started in them so he still has hope.

But as far as we are concerend, Jak is a C player. Once you start paying C players 18 million a year then that's how you lose the already narrow path to the playoffs. Granted having a franchise player can offset that to a degree but we don't have one of those. I believe this team can reach the playoff with DJ as our 1a)/1b) best player. I do not think we can make the playoffs with Jak as our starting center AND DJ as our 1a)/1b). And I definitely don't think we should sign him for that extension.

That being said, this is about Chet and if we draft Chet then you must keep Jak, even at 15 a year. Jak plays a great role next to Chet. He will bang against the stronger bodies and do the dirty work that you might not want someone with Chet's body to do right after coming out of college. Let Chet build muscle for a few years and become a man before you play him in that role, if at all. I mean as long as we are dreaming about Chet, we might as well include Lavine in our dream and have that as our big 3 going forward

mo7888
05-03-2022, 11:02 AM
I'm not sure which contenders have actual money to spend. Like the Lakers could definitely use Jak but they can't pay him. Same with the Nets. If I'm Utah, I am looking hard at Gobert and trying to trade him for Jak, filler, and their FRP. Gobert has wilted in the playoffs over and over again while Jak has never started in them so he still has hope.

But as far as we are concerend, Jak is a C player. Once you start paying C players 18 million a year then that's how you lose the already narrow path to the playoffs. Granted having a franchise player can offset that to a degree but we don't have one of those. I believe this team can reach the playoff with DJ as our 1a)/1b) best player. I do not think we can make the playoffs with Jak as our starting center AND DJ as our 1a)/1b). And I definitely don't think we should sign him for that extension.

That being said, this is about Chet and if we draft Chet then you must keep Jak, even at 15 a year. Jak plays a great role next to Chet. He will bang against the stronger bodies and do the dirty work that you might not want someone with Chet's body to do right after coming out of college. Let Chet build muscle for a few years and become a man before you play him in that role, if at all. I mean as long as we are dreaming about Chet, we might as well include Lavine in our dream and have that as our big 3 going forward

The lakers should have plenty to pay him...Westbrook and Lebron come off the books the same time Poeltl is an Ufa..

mo7888
05-03-2022, 11:03 AM
I see Chet as a PF but, if his longterm position is at C then EJ Liddell makes some sense as a PF next to him..

exstatic
05-03-2022, 11:04 AM

Sure they will. He’s almost making 10 now, and is in high demand because that salary is a fucking bargain. You people thought his contract was horrible when signed, but now recognize it as a deal. You’ll eventually come around on the 18-20M one. It’ll take a few years, like this one. Some of us understand the modern game, and what’s valuable, and know that when we see it.

baseline bum
05-03-2022, 11:14 AM

I'd have fun in Detroit making $18 million a year.

John B
05-03-2022, 11:46 AM
Chet is the best overall player in the draft for me, and my take as Spurs #1 pick IF Spurs get lucky. Chet needs to play the SF/PF like KD does. He can initiate plays on top with his shooting, passing and drive to the basket, or he can be part of the pick and roll. On defense, he helps Poeltl tremendously with his shot blocking and help defense with his length and read on plays. He got the swagger and he is not afraid to mix it up out there. The guy is a unicorn for me. While lately I’ve been intrigued with a possible Seattle trio of Murray/Banchero/LaVine. Heck, either way, that would be awesome.

wildbill2u
05-03-2022, 11:48 AM
If you overthink the possible injuries Holmgren might sustain, you will never pull the trigger on a player with tremendous upside for the Spurs. Spindly 7 footers without his coordination or shooting ability have made long term careers in the NBA simply because of their size. I don't think you can overestimate the advantage his size, handling, coordination, and shooting skillsets give him. If he's available, you take him and live with the potential peril of injury a la Bill Walton or plantar fasciitis a la Tim.
Duncan.

I can't imagine any team making a trade that would allow us to take him. Isaiah Thomas isn't a GM in the league anymore.

KobesAchilles
05-03-2022, 12:01 PM
Sure they will. He’s almost making 10 now, and is in high demand because that salary is a fucking bargain. You people thought his contract was horrible when signed, but now recognize it as a deal. You’ll eventually come around on the 18-20M one. It’ll take a few years, like this one. Some of us understand the modern game, and what’s valuable, and know that when we see it.
It's so valuable that we missed the playoffs. It's so modern to have a player who can't shoot. Also all the rules are totally being designed to help defense too. Not at all offense. I didn't know the 90s was the modern game. Also paying centers big time money is also the modern game. There are currently 10 centers making 18+ million a year and 4 of them would never get that type of contract again. You can add Ayton's name to that next year but Horford will come off it the year the year that Jak gets paid. I don't see Jak being in that group. It's easy to say, but I don't think it will happen

KobesAchilles
05-03-2022, 12:07 PM
I'd have fun in Detroit making $18 million a year.
You might enjoy getting 18 million a year but you won't have fun living in Detroit. There's a reason why people have been leaving that shithole for over a decade now.

Mr. Body
05-03-2022, 12:12 PM
Holmgren is like a skilled wing trapped in a 7'0" body. This creates problems for him -- he can get knocked off his spots, he can have a high dribble -- but it basically makes him an incredible shot blocker and very good rebounder (9.9 in only 27 minutes). He's much more than Shawn Bradley with a three. He has a great feel for the game, is very skilled and competitive. Despite how frail he is, he bangs and gets into it.

I can see him struggling in the wrong situation. Houston would be the wrong place, for example. But in a good defensive structure, he'll be the guy who pastes everything together, erases a lot of mistakes and allows guards to be more aggressive. He's switchable to a pretty good degree, even if he falls down like a baby deer on occasion. On offense, he's not a guy to just stick in the corner.

To me, Banchero and Smith are definitely behind him. Holmgren's an interesting case. He's not the unicorn that Giannis is. He's not Durant on offense. He probably won't score enough to be a top option. But he's going to greatly improve any team he's on. He feels like a great multiplier. Is he what the Spurs need? Of course. I think he can even slot in next to a center in some sets.

rascal
05-03-2022, 12:33 PM
Don't like Chet's awkward looking game anywhere near the Spurs. Don't want the Spurs to have awkward looking players. He will end up being a wasted pick if the spurs are lucky enough to land in the top four.

The best move if they land the number 1 pick is to draft him and trade him for another top guy like Banchero, Smith, Ivey or Sharpe and get another asset in return.

baseline bum
05-03-2022, 01:11 PM
You might enjoy getting 18 million a year but you won't have fun living in Detroit. There's a reason why people have been leaving that shithole for over a decade now.

No player is going to live in Detroit. They'll live in some cracker ass suburb.

MultiTroll
05-03-2022, 01:13 PM
Will be counting the # of dunks and treys Chet rains down on the Spurs and Chet Haters in coming years.

Book it Dano.

KingKev
05-03-2022, 05:25 PM

Downtown Detroit has had a little renaissance the last 5-10 years. I got dirt cheap court side Spurs/Pistons tickets - few years back and I was impressed. 30 minutes out of town and there are some real nice suburbs. Shit weather half the year but summertime northern Michigan has great cottage life.

KobesAchilles
05-03-2022, 06:22 PM
Downtown Detroit has had a little renaissance the last 5-10 years. I got dirt cheap court side Spurs/Pistons tickets - few years back and I was impressed. 30 minutes out of town and there are some real nice suburbs. Shit weather half the year but summertime northern Michigan has great cottage life.
Weather is even worse when you are on a 10 game losing streak. Maybe Poeltl gets that 18-20 million a year. I doubt it just bc he’s so bad on offense where he can’t shoot, clogs the lane, and doesn’t run the break the way you want your starting big man to run out when you have a young team that plays fast. People here just take it as gospel that he will get that number. My point is that only 10 centers in the whole league are earning that much and I just don’t see him being added to that already small list.

tonight...you
05-03-2022, 06:35 PM
Weather is even worse when you are on a 10 game losing streak. Maybe Poeltl gets that 18-20 million a year. I doubt it just bc he’s so bad on offense where he can’t shoot, clogs the lane, and doesn’t run the break the way you want your starting big man to run out when you have a young team that plays fast. People here just take it as gospel that he will get that number. My point is that only 10 centers in the whole league are earning that much and I just don’t see him being added to that already small list.
Maybe true, but you yourself claim to have a ton of ignorance of many things like QO's and who has what in terms of cap and college prospects beyond a few names so...
I just can't take your words for much and neither should many.

PhantomDashCam
05-03-2022, 06:38 PM
Ignore the Dunks from this clip and enjoy the unique Guard Qualities that Chet can offer. Also a Top of the Key catch ala Dirk which should be a move/shot he develops further as his career develops.

https://youtu.be/YKxvpxKRKRg

duncan2150
05-03-2022, 06:47 PM
I think this guy is underated cause he'll be an elite defender imo. Plus the fact that he can shoot the 3, pass the ball .... he could develop into a really good player in the NBA.

MultiTroll
05-03-2022, 06:48 PM
Ignore the Dunks from this clip and enjoy the unique Guard Qualities that Chet can offer. Also a Top of the Key catch ala Dirk which should be a move/shot he develops further as his career develops.
Exactly.
The main scout i talked to had his game as more similar to Durbetas then the typical F's.

KobesAchilles
05-03-2022, 07:05 PM
Maybe true, but you yourself claim to have a ton of ignorance of many things like QO's and who has what in terms of cap and college prospects beyond a few names so...
I just can't take your words for much and neither should many.
It’s been a crazy year for me both professionally and personally, in a good way where I just don’t have the time anymore to watch college basketball. Last year I wanted Sengun and I stand by that. The year before I wanted Vassell and we got him. This year I haven’t even looked at any college guys outside of the top 4. I will have time in about a month so I will give my opinion like the week before the draft

The QO thing was just wondering what’s the max the Warriors can pay Jordan? I usually ask chinook, or whoever about that kinda stuff and I’ve never pretended to know that. But I was right about Poeltl. I mean there are guys saying he’s out most important player and should be in DPOY consideration and is a winner. The guy is none of that. And now people are saying he’s going to get 20 million a year bc that’s the modern game today. We pay centers who can’t shoot, rim run, with back problems at 26 that type of money. You can say I’ve been wrong about everything and don’t know anything at all but that’s a bet I’m willing to take. Poeltl will not make 20 million a year. And if Poeltl does make that type of money I will change my avatar to him, pm a pick of me in a brand new Poeltl jersey holding a Poeltl rookie card and throw on a jersey of player of your choice as well that I will buy for you.

XDT76
05-03-2022, 09:49 PM
It’s been a crazy year for me both professionally and personally, in a good way where I just don’t have the time anymore to watch college basketball. Last year I wanted Sengun and I stand by that. The year before I wanted Vassell and we got him. This year I haven’t even looked at any college guys outside of the top 4. I will have time in about a month so I will give my opinion like the week before the draft

The QO thing was just wondering what’s the max the Warriors can pay Jordan? I usually ask chinook, or whoever about that kinda stuff and I’ve never pretended to know that. But I was right about Poeltl. I mean there are guys saying he’s out most important player and should be in DPOY consideration and is a winner. The guy is none of that. And now people are saying he’s going to get 20 million a year bc that’s the modern game today. We pay centers who can’t shoot, rim run, with back problems at 26 that type of money. You can say I’ve been wrong about everything and don’t know anything at all but that’s a bet I’m willing to take. Poeltl will not make 20 million a year. And if Poeltl does make that type of money I will change my avatar to him, pm a pick of me in a brand new Poeltl jersey holding a Poeltl rookie card and throw on a jersey of player of your choice as well that I will buy for you.

Given our roster setup Poeltl is the most important player on the defensive end. It is because he is able to provide good interior defense and is not too slow. However, if we can improve our forwards, his importance would be reduced. I believe his value is between 12.5 to 15. Anything higher than that he should be plying his trade on other teams.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-03-2022, 11:35 PM
Given our roster setup Poeltl is the most important player on the defensive end. It is because he is able to provide good interior defense and is not too slow. However, if we can improve our forwards, his importance would be reduced. I believe his value is between 12.5 to 15. Anything higher than that he should be plying his trade on other teams.

I agree about the 12-15 mil per year value for Poeltl. People should look at his number in the context of the projected rising cap - by the time his new contract kicks in the salary cap will be well north of 120 mil, so as a % of the cap it might not be that much more compared to what it is now.

Whether it's worth investing so much in the center position for a rebuilding team is another question, but if he gets paid closer to what Valanciunas makes rather than say Capela, he'd be an asset that could be moved for value if needed.

niraj2000
05-04-2022, 12:18 AM
Chet is a poor man's Unicorn

DPG21920
05-04-2022, 12:19 AM
Chet is kind of who I would want if SA gets into the top 4. He reminds me of Kristaps but who takes the game seriously

Dejounte
05-04-2022, 05:37 AM

https://youtu.be/YKxvpxKRKRg

These guard qualities get less and less as the player gets to each new level of basketball. Great example would be Precious Achiuwa who had all this perimeter ability in high school, showed half of that ability in college, and then none at all in the NBA. This is the problem with relying on high school tape.

duncan2150
05-04-2022, 07:37 AM
These guard qualities get less and less as the player gets to each new level of basketball. Great example would be Precious Achiuwa who had all this perimeter ability in high school, showed half of that ability in college, and then none at all in the NBA. This is the problem with relying on high school tape.

Yes but You Can have it with Holmgren in NCAA too. With his long arms he showed some really nice switchability with Gonzaga.

His defense will easily translate in the NBA , he is Not comparable with achiuwa in that way.

rascal
05-04-2022, 10:02 AM
Chet needs to play as a center not as a PF, pulled away from the basket he will lose his most important asset, his post defense and his shot blocking. So if the Spurs draft Chet they need to trade Poeltl.

exstatic
05-04-2022, 10:08 AM
Chet needs to play as a center not as a PF, pulled away from the basket he will lose his most important asset, his post defense and his shot blocking. So if the Spurs draft Chet they need to trade Poeltl.

Chet is not just a rim shot blocker. He can block in the midrange and at the arc.

rascal
05-04-2022, 10:16 AM
Chet lacks explosiveness and does not have a quick release on his shot and does not have a quick first step and won't be able to create separation with quickness so I don't see him as an effective go to scoring option.

His strength lies as a shot blocker, rim protector defender.

A top four pick needs to be strong offensively to be worth a top four pick and the spurs need more of an explosive go to scorer than a below the rim defender.

rascal
05-04-2022, 10:18 AM
Chet is not just a rim shot blocker. He can block in the midrange and at the arc.

Agree he is a good overall shot blocker with his long reach but if you're playing him away from the basket you're not getting the best use of him.

JPB
05-04-2022, 11:03 AM
Let's wait to see where we actually pick before fantasizing too much about top 4 picks or we might get disappointed. I'll consider spurs pick 9 by default and anything better is a bonus.

DPG21920
05-04-2022, 11:12 AM
Let's wait to see where we actually pick before fantasizing too much about top 4 picks or we might get disappointed. I'll consider spurs pick 9 by default and anything better is a bonus.

True and to be fair SA has better odds of falling to pick 10 than they do of moving to top 4… it’s basically 50/50 chance of pick 9 vs pick 1-4 or 10

Mr. Body
05-04-2022, 02:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DBaXdk0vT0

This is a pretty great video on Holmgren. It won't matter for us anyway, though.

4lifecowboy
05-13-2022, 05:43 AM
Tim played PF and still impacted the post defense. Chet needs to be able to float on offense, and defense.

The Truth #6
05-13-2022, 07:54 AM
Yeah, probably won’t matter. Debating Eason vs Sochan or Davis vs Mathurin is probably more useful. Chet is a great competitor it seems, so though it is difficult imagining how he translates for me, I have some confidence his competitiveness will allow him to maximize whatever role his limitations place upon him. Or something like that.

offset formation
05-13-2022, 08:26 AM

Admittedly, Poeltl has grown on me, but being realistic, I can't see someone paying more than 15M or 16M for him because he's just so limited offensively and his FT % is simply atrocious. Did he even make it back above 50% by the end of the year?

His defense is above average. But unless he's in a pick and roll with DJ, his game falters. That was evident when DJ was out.

rascal
05-13-2022, 09:15 AM
Tim played PF and still impacted the post defense. Chet needs to be able to float on offense, and defense.

I sure hope the spurs don't draft Chet. What an ugly game this guy has.

Not a go to player the team should be building around.

KingKev
05-13-2022, 09:19 AM
I sure hope the spurs don't draft Chet. What an ugly game this guy has.

Not a go to player the team should be building around.

PATFO can have an interesting rating system for players but not sure name ranks at all. He would be tough to pass up at #3 if Smith/PB were already taken.

rascal
05-13-2022, 09:25 AM
PATFO can have an interesting rating system for players but not sure name ranks at all. He would be tough to pass up at #3 if Smith/PB were already taken.

Rather have Ivey or Sharpe, who have bigger upsides.
Chet will be more of an impact player in college than the NBA.

Some team will regret taking him before Sharpe and Ivey in the future and I don't want that team to be the Spurs.

Don't want that gawky looking player on the Spurs.

KingKev
05-13-2022, 09:35 AM
Rather have Ivey or Sharpe, who have bigger upsides.
Chet will be more of an impact player in college than the NBA.

Some team will regret taking him before Sharpe and Ivey in the future and I don't want that team to be the Spurs.

Don't want that gawky looking player on the Spurs.

Unfortunately we are unlikely to have a chance at any of them.

MultiTroll
05-13-2022, 01:57 PM
Unfortunately we are unlikely to have a chance at any of them.
But we'll have the memories of the Pelican game. Isn't that more important?

KingKev
05-13-2022, 06:10 PM
But we'll have the memories of the Pelican game. Isn't that more important?

We will win a play-in game one day.

ace3g
05-14-2022, 12:30 PM
https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/1525501919443025922

JPB
05-14-2022, 02:01 PM
https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/1525501919443025922

Just picturing Shaq or Dwight Howard boxing out Chet for a rebound. Will he be able to hold his own against the big Boys? Paired with Jak, that could maybe do it. But you HAVE to keep Jak if you pick Chet.

MultiTroll
05-14-2022, 11:46 PM
Just picturing Shaq or Dwight Howard boxing out Chet for a rebound. Will he be able to hold his own against the big Boys? Paired with Jak, that could maybe do it. But you HAVE to keep Jak if you pick Chet.
Yes Chet has to be F on for most teams and against most teams.

He's going to need a real coach with some real stategy. Probably not a fit on a lot of teams but he'll have to go with who drafts him.

rascal
05-15-2022, 07:45 AM
Yes Chet has to be F on for most teams and against most teams.

He's going to need a real coach with some real stategy. Probably not a fit on a lot of teams but he'll have to go with who drafts him.

Will lose his biggest asset if pulled away from the basket, shot blocking. He will be easily boxed out if moving through traffic, won't be able to stay with quicker forwards.
Yes, he will get some blocks on the perimeter but no where near as many as near the basket.

If he isn't good enough to play at center he isn't worth drafting with a top pick. There are better more explosive scorers who are solid defenders.

Offensively there are better options as go to scorers at forward if you have to play him there.

DPG21920
05-15-2022, 12:44 PM
Prime KD was a great defender and Chet will be better on that end…

JPB
05-15-2022, 02:45 PM

KD never played inside and never really had to defend bigs. He was always a perimeter guy. And allow me to disagree on him ever being a great defender.

DPG21920
05-15-2022, 02:53 PM
KD never played inside and never really had to defend bigs. He was always a perimeter guy. And allow me to disagree on him ever being a great defender.

He was definitely a great defender. How great may be debatable but when he was focused on defense he was extremely good. Point was Chet may never be inside. He may be small ball C only and spend much more time out on perimeter and help defense and can still be very impactful IMO

rascal
05-15-2022, 10:24 PM

Don't compare Chet with KD.

KD is much more athletic going to the basket, quicker and a better shooter. KD never looked awkward and gawky like Chet looks.

Chet is a better shot blocker.

rascal
05-15-2022, 10:30 PM

Chet will never be as good offensively.

I want a top 4 pick to be a strong offensive player, an explosive potential 20+ point scorer. You can find strong defense with a later pick.

PhantomDashCam
05-17-2022, 05:48 PM
https://youtu.be/V8nQX1Wr62U

He just aced the Spurs interview...

KingKev
05-17-2022, 06:00 PM
https://youtu.be/V8nQX1Wr62U

He just aced the Spurs interview...

That’s a confident, not cocky young fella.

rascal
05-17-2022, 09:40 PM
That's good Chet won't be on the Spurs.

Can't build a winner around this guy. He's going to OKC and keep that team down.

ace3g
05-18-2022, 05:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8nPFmjTOM8

MultiTroll
07-06-2022, 09:36 AM
Chet Dawg showing his assortment in his 1st summer league game. :toast

GAustex
08-24-2022, 02:19 PM
Rumor is his foot is already broken

ChumpDumper
08-24-2022, 02:25 PM

Possible torn ligaments.

KingKev
08-24-2022, 02:26 PM

Oh man I mentioned it when that crawsover game got cancelled.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10046097-shams-thunders-chet-holmgren-feared-to-have-ligament-damage-after-foot-injury

Poor kid but could be a blessing for OKC to continue the tank.

Texas_Ranger
08-24-2022, 02:29 PM
Zingis Pingis 2.0

Trill Clinton
08-24-2022, 02:35 PM
Torn ligaments in his foot. If he was a Spur he wouldn't have been allowed to play in that game.

KingKev
08-24-2022, 02:37 PM
Torn ligaments in his foot. If he was a Spur he wouldn't have been allowed to play in that game.

DJ has been playing in the Crawsover for years. Demar in the Drew league also.

Trill Clinton
08-24-2022, 02:38 PM
DJ has been playing in the Crawsover for years. Demar in the Drew league also.

Demar is a vet and rookie DJ wasn't a top 2 lottery pick and considered one of the best prospects in recent history.

Trill Clinton
08-24-2022, 02:40 PM
They already shut down Sochan playing for Poland this summer. Chet would have been here in S.A working on his game and not in a janky ass gym with no AC and a slick floor.

GAustex
08-24-2022, 02:42 PM
I was agin picking Chet if it came to that over perceived fragility
Doesn’t matter other that that body type is tender

KingKev
08-24-2022, 02:44 PM
Demar is a vet and rookie DJ wasn't a top 2 lottery pick and considered one of the best prospects in recent history.

But two of our best players were allowed to play in Pro-Ams in recent years so I don’t see your argument.

Trill Clinton
08-24-2022, 02:45 PM
This puts even more pressure on the Spurs to tank harder. OKC are the GOATS at tanking and will have no problem shutting Chet down and tanking for Victor.

Trill Clinton
08-24-2022, 02:46 PM
But two of our best players were allowed to play in Pro-Ams in recent years so I don’t see your argument.

Are they top 2 lottery pics and generational talents?

Are they hooping in gyms with no AC and a court that isn't safe enough to play on?

KingKev
08-24-2022, 02:49 PM
Are they top 2 lottery pics and generational talents?

Are they hooping in gyms with no AC and a court that isn't safe enough to play on?

Yes, they were hooping in local gyms that run the risk of being unsafe. You think Spurs officials showed up on game day to check the facilities? Regardless of their draft status they were players who were making top dollar and very important to the team.

Texas_Ranger
08-24-2022, 02:49 PM
This puts even more pressure on the Spurs to tank harder. OKC are the GOATS at tanking and will have no problem shutting Chet down and tanking for Victor.

Victor is another guy that will be injured all the time.

Trill Clinton
08-24-2022, 02:55 PM
Yes, they were hooping in local gyms that run the risk of being unsafe. You think Spurs officials showed up on game day to check the facilities? Regardless of their draft status they were players who were making top dollar and very important to the team.

Yes they would have sent someone with the player to make sure everything was legit. If that person didn't think it was was safe to play, they wouldn't play.

KingKev
08-24-2022, 02:55 PM
Yes they would have sent someone with the team to make sure everything was legit. If that person didn't think it was was safe to play, they wouldn't play.

hahahahahahah

holy fuck some of you sniffers…

The Truth #6
08-24-2022, 03:20 PM
Doesn’t seem to be many details about his ankle injury, or maybe it’s a foot injury. As far as I know an ankle sprain is still considered a ligament issue, but obviously depends on the severity. Big picture, tall skinny guys with problems with their feet don’t usually fare well, but too soon to say yet. Though all the alarm suggests unfavorable details to come.

Mr. Body
08-24-2022, 03:27 PM

OKC was already gonna shut it down with most of the season left anyway.

BackHome
08-24-2022, 04:09 PM
It looks like Chet has torn some ligaments in his foot you know I am scarred as hell to get first pick because I see Victor having a lot of medical issues with his brief career

jjspur
08-24-2022, 04:11 PM
Poor kid, he had an 80 pound disadvantage against Lebron, but it looks like he also got a knee to the nards as well. Like 90% of all fouls called on Lebron, he's saying " I didn't do that foul" :dizzy

MultiTroll
08-25-2022, 09:04 AM
Poor kid, he had an 80 pound disadvantage against Lebron, but it looks like he also got a knee to the nards as well. Like 90% of all fouls called on Lebron, he's saying " I didn't do that foul" :dizzy
The only view i saw was way too far away. Closeups out there?

Regardless, very foolish play by Chet. FFS just concede the breakaway steal / layup.
Respect Chets hustle ethic but you have to know when to just concede. Kind of like a QB that is going to get sacked no matter what he does.

MultiTroll
08-25-2022, 09:14 AM
Lebron clearly steps on Chets foot.

manufan10
08-25-2022, 09:50 AM

KingKev
08-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Here we go again. Going to be great watching Spurstalk blow up while we soft tank to the 10th pick and snag a high character, moderate talent player. I’ll be front of the line.

Utah and OKC will easily be sub 20 win teams while we get 25ish, the last 6-7 because of pride. :pop:

BatManu20
08-25-2022, 10:18 AM
Goddammit. OKC will out-tank us no doubt.

MultiTroll
08-25-2022, 10:26 AM
Anyone notice if Vegas odds adjusted for Chets foot?

KingKev
08-25-2022, 10:52 AM
Anyone notice if Vegas odds adjusted for Chets foot?

within minutes

jjspur
08-25-2022, 10:52 AM
Will the thunder still have to pay all this years 9.8 million dollar salary if he was not playing in a NBA sanctioned game ?

offset formation
08-25-2022, 10:55 AM
Tank position just got harder.

Texas_Ranger
08-25-2022, 10:56 AM
lol Thunder for even allowing him to play in these retarded games. NBA should do something about it and cut his pay by a lot, cause of this bullshit.

offset formation
08-25-2022, 10:59 AM
OKC on a very good track to have Chet and Wembanyama now.

They, along with their recent draft picks and SGA, will likely dominate the league for a decade. I swear I loathe OKC almost as much as I do OU.

Dex
08-25-2022, 11:04 AM
This is exactly why playing in useless pro-am games in the summer is a stupid idea.

If you wanna go represent your country in the World Cup or Olympics, by all means. But going to some shitty college gym filled with rowdy fans for Instagram views....dumb.

OKC's franchise trajectory just changed because this guy wanted to pretend like he was in Hustle.

Vince Carter's ankle
08-25-2022, 11:06 AM

They, along with their recent draft picks and SGA, will likely dominate the league for a decade. I swear I loathe OKC almost as much as I do OU.
That's how it all works. The 76ers are on their way for a second three-peat. Wait what

The Truth #6
08-25-2022, 11:12 AM
https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/lisfranc-midfoot-injury

Sounds bad, and guessing from the one year timeline it *sounds like* he’s having surgery (Open Reduction Internal Fixation) with hardware put in that can frequently lead to arthritis and chronic pain. But more info will hopefully come.

KingKev
08-25-2022, 11:14 AM
Will the thunder still have to pay all this years 9.8 million dollar salary if he was not playing in a NBA sanctioned game ?

lol Thunder for even allowing him to play in these retarded games. NBA should do something about it and cut his pay by a lot, cause of this bullshit.

This was a SANCTIONED game. He won’t lose out on anything.

KingKev
08-25-2022, 11:15 AM
This is exactly why playing in useless pro-am games in the summer is a stupid idea.

If you wanna go represent your country in the World Cup or Olympics, by all means. But going to some shitty college gym filled with rowdy fans for Instagram views....dumb.

OKC's franchise trajectory just changed because this guy wanted to pretend like he was in Hustle.

It got better tbh.

Texas_Ranger
08-25-2022, 11:15 AM

hope so. we can see who will be injured more.

exstatic
08-25-2022, 11:22 AM
It got better tbh.

Players don't always come back from this. It's gotten better over the years, but it isn't 100% all the time.

KingKev
08-25-2022, 11:24 AM
Players don't always come back from this. It's gotten better over the years, but it isn't 100% all the time.

I never saw Chet as a franchise player tbh. To me this is more akin to Bol Bol than Greg Oden. In the meantime OKC continues to be a bottom 3 team and gets a better shot at VW or other top talent. It’s not good news but has potential to be a blessing in disguise.

MultiTroll
08-25-2022, 11:25 AM
Lebron steps on the non injured foot which apprears to throw off Chets other foot leading to injury.
Check the 5 second mark. Helps to blow it up and slow it down.

Not blaming Lebron at all. Foolish move by Chet trying to get a block in on Lebron in meaningless game.

Seventyniner
08-25-2022, 11:41 AM
I never saw Chet as a franchise player tbh. To me this is more akin to Bol Bol than Greg Oden. In the meantime OKC continues to be a bottom 3 team and gets a better shot at VW or other top talent. It’s not good news but has potential to be a blessing in disguise.

I think the Holmgren situation is much closer to Oden than Bol due to where all those players were drafted. Oden was an utter disaster not only because he wasn't very good but mainly that the Blazers could have had KD, while Bol Bol was a second round pick. The Thunder could have had Smith/Murray/Ivey/etc.

Of course the Thunder couldn't know that this kind of injury would have happened, let alone before he ever even took the floor for an NBA game.

MultiTroll
08-25-2022, 11:50 AM
By all accounts Chet was looking good all summer league long.

All around game as advertized.

KingKev
08-25-2022, 11:56 AM
I think the Holmgren situation is much closer to Oden than Bol due to where all those players were drafted. Oden was an utter disaster not only because he wasn't very good but mainly that the Blazers could have had KD, while Bol Bol was a second round pick. The Thunder could have had Smith/Murray/Ivey/etc.

Of course the Thunder couldn't know that this kind of injury would have happened, let alone before he ever even took the floor for an NBA game.

Yeah, I was more getting at pre injuries for all 3 (the timing of their injuries complicates a draft positioning debate) Greg Oden looked more like a franchise altering player relative to Bol Bol and Chet.

Drom John
08-25-2022, 11:58 AM
Per minute, Oden played better than Durant the first two seasons, and is 4th in WS/48 among his draft class. [Splitter is 3rd.]
In cumulative WS, Oden is 25th in his draft class.
When Oden played, he was very good.

KingKev
08-25-2022, 12:25 PM
Per minute, Oden played better than Durant the first two seasons, and is 4th in WS/48 among his draft class. [Splitter is 3rd.]
In cumulative WS, Oden is 25th in his draft class.
When Oden played, he was very good.

A healthy Oden, during that era was a certain franchise player and that’s not to take away from KD or go into draft position etc. To me Chet has such an intriguing package that he certainly could become a cornerstone but you could have said the same about Bol Bol pre injury. Ppl fall in love with metrics in hopes for the next unicorn.

dbestpro
08-25-2022, 01:17 PM
= fragile.

spurs1990
08-25-2022, 01:21 PM
With Holmgren's frame he's more prone than the guards Murray and Derozan.

Looks like OK will be one of the 3 lottery spots next draft. Spurs just need to battle two other teams to get one of those remaining 2 spots.

KingKev
08-25-2022, 01:42 PM
With Holmgren's frame he's more prone than the guards Murray and Derozan.

Looks like OK will be one of the 3 lottery spots next draft. Spurs just need to battle two other teams to get one of those remaining 2 spots.

Not how the lottery odds work.

jjspur
08-25-2022, 04:38 PM
Since Holmgren isn't playing this year, will he battle it out with Wembanyama next year for rookie of the year ?

Uriel
08-25-2022, 04:49 PM
Imagine OKC next year with a frontline of Wembanyama and Holmgren. :lol

tonight...you
08-25-2022, 04:56 PM
Imagine OKC next year with a frontline of Wembanyama and Holmgren. :lol
The Toothpick Towers

offset formation
08-25-2022, 07:44 PM
That's how it all works. The 76ers are on their way for a second three-peat. Wait what

Yeah, wait whut...

76ers exhibited pure incompetence. Including from Brett Brown. Only 1 WCF appearance in 10+ years.

Despite the half decade of actually tanking for "the process," and all those high draft picks, basically the only competent player they ended up with after all of it was Embiid. That's draft incompetence and front office mismanagement. And sadly, there are several incompetent teams and front offices.

Until the past couple years, I never thought the Spurs would ever even sniff that level of poor decision making.. OKC has made gold from the pile of shit they've been given. Maintaining a crazy number of picks while getting better through the draft AND trades.

So yes, that's how it works for competent teams. Just wish I was sure if PATFO was still part of that level

Ariel
08-25-2022, 07:51 PM
Oh God, who could have foreseen this? Oh wait...
On a serious note, I've been skeptical of him for precisely this from day 1, but I didn't think he'd have problems THIS soon. Sucks for 2 reasons: 1) he seems like a nice, smart young man, and this is a tough blow. 2) Yet another reason for OKC to tank on.
Anyway, I hope he fully recovers as soon as possible.

slick'81
08-25-2022, 08:04 PM
Stay outta our tank thunder!!

John B
08-25-2022, 09:19 PM
Thunder could be building another trio of KD/Westbrook/Harden with Chet/SGA and potentially Victor, plus the 50 something FRP’s that they have.

K...
08-25-2022, 09:33 PM
Yeah, wait whut...

76ers exhibited pure incompetence. Including from Brett Brown. Only 1 WCF appearance in 10+ years.

Despite the half decade of actually tanking for "the process," and all those high draft picks, basically the only competent player they ended up with after all of it was Embiid. That's draft incompetence and front office mismanagement. And sadly, there are several incompetent teams and front offices.

Until the past couple years, I never thought the Spurs would ever even sniff that level of poor decision making.. OKC has made gold from the pile of shit they've been given. Maintaining a crazy number of picks while getting better through the draft AND trades.

So yes, that's how it works for competent teams. Just wish I was sure if PATFO was still part of that level

you really think okc is hitting that sweet spot of good players that raise the win total, but not so good that they can't pay? OKC won't pay luxury tax so they won't dominate for years like golden state. add to that they have to know when to cash out on their pick haul for disgruntled stars and it's no guarantee teams won't low ball them knowing the clock is ticking or they pick the wrong star. is wemby going to be better than jokic? because jokic is a hOF guy and can't get his team past the dreaded pretenders level. same with luka.

Top ten picks are also more expensive. and they don't like being dicked with on extensions. okc will have to trade their guys, ROBY was an easy cast off, there will be more.

altogether, the odds of okc being a playoff team vs a rich mans Sacramento or Orlando are at best even, likely poorer.

you call phiily incompetent, but have you looked at bust odds for lottery picks?

offset formation
08-25-2022, 10:34 PM
you really think okc is hitting that sweet spot of good players that raise the win total, but not so good that they can't pay? OKC won't pay luxury tax so they won't dominate for years like golden state. add to that they have to know when to cash out on their pick haul for disgruntled stars and it's no guarantee teams won't low ball them knowing the clock is ticking or they pick the wrong star. is wemby going to be better than jokic? because jokic is a hOF guy and can't get his team past the dreaded pretenders level. same with luka.

Top ten picks are also more expensive. and they don't like being dicked with on extensions. okc will have to trade their guys, ROBY was an easy cast off, there will be more.

altogether, the odds of okc being a playoff team vs a rich mans Sacramento or Orlando are at best even, likely poorer.

you call phiily incompetent, but have you looked at bust odds for lottery picks?

Good reply. Yes I think OKC's drafting will put them in position to win eventually. And yes you're right they will also continue to shed dead weight which are still good players to prevent getting close to the luxury tax until they're sure they have a star. Poku will likely be next to go unless he shows out this year. But they can afford to do that with the quality and quantity of picks they have.

The only reason OKC might not reach the promised land is because they can't compete on the third tier of player acquisition: free agency.

No one is beating down their door to go to OKC. And that won't change unless they get a generational talent like Wembanyama. And Chet comes back to be the player he was drafted to be. If they build it, other players will come.

But those guys have at least 4 pieces right now, including Chet, that make them a team to watch for future success, especially if they land yet another stud in next year's draft now. They should have been out of the running for that top spot. Now they'll have at worst a really fucking good player in the 22-23 draft, to go along with SGA, Giddey, Dort, Chet, Poku, Dieng, Both the Williams. Etc.

Their roster is simply primed for greatness.

Mr. Body
08-25-2022, 11:42 PM
Thunder could be building another trio of KD/Westbrook/Harden with Chet/SGA and potentially Victor, plus the 50 something FRP’s that they have.

In what conceptual universe do you imagine Holmgren and SGA are even close to the talents of the previous three players?

John B
08-26-2022, 01:36 AM
In what conceptual universe do you imagine Holmgren and SGA are even close to the talents of the previous three players?

Of course you knew Russ and Harden would be MVP caliber coming out from college

exstatic
08-26-2022, 08:56 AM

SGA is into his extension already, and he hasn't even made an ASG yet. He's the best of the bunch.

Ariel
08-26-2022, 12:30 PM
SGA is into his extension already, and he hasn't even made an ASG yet. He's the best of the bunch.
Yet I wouldn't be surprised if Presti trades him, say to NŸ, for a bunch of picks to push back the timeline. He's too enamored with the "OKC process". Only thing is, by the time he's happy with the talent he's amassed, he'll start losing them because they're fed up of the organization's antics.

Mr. Body
08-26-2022, 01:57 PM

They didn't even need to be MVP caliber. By the time Westbrook or Harden were the age SGA is now, they were far, far better than him. Just because someone is drafted by OKC =/= greatness.

Seventyniner
08-26-2022, 02:07 PM
They didn't even need to be MVP caliber. By the time Westbrook or Harden were the age SGA is now, they were far, far better than him. Just because someone is drafted by OKC =/= greatness.

The Thunder didn't draft SGA, the Clippers did. Well, technically the Hornets did but it was a draft-day trade, kind of like technically the Pacers picked Number Two.

SGA was the main player the Thunder got in return for Paul George, along with all the picks and swaps of course.

I agree with your point about SGA not being nearly as good as Westbrook or Harden at their respective ages.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-27-2022, 09:04 AM
I think he’s talented, but it will be hard to make it in the NBA if you’re made of glass.

Can you imagine prime Shaq plowing through Holmgren in the lane? They’d of needed to keep an ambulance court side for Chet at every game back when you were allowed to actually play. Of course in that era he probably wouldn’t have been drafted this high.

KingKev
08-27-2022, 09:58 AM
I think he’s talented, but it will be hard to make it in the NBA if you’re made of glass.

Can you imagine prime Shaq plowing through Holmgren in the lane? They’d of needed to keep an ambulance court side for Chet at every game back when you were allowed to actually play. Of course in that era he probably wouldn’t have been drafted this high.

Shawn Bradley was also drafted #2 and was 7’6 like 230lbs at the time.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-04-2022, 03:50 PM
Shawn Bradley was also drafted #2 and was 7’6 like 230lbs at the time.

True. And he never could hold up physically, either. Plus, Bradley seemed to be the target of a lot of ire from other players....maybe it was that #2 draft position, but guys always liked to seem to posterize him and then stare him down. Probably better than Holmgren in today's league, tbh, except Holmgren can shoot a lot better.

KingKev
09-04-2022, 03:59 PM
True. And he never could hold up physically, either. Plus, Bradley seemed to be the target of a lot of ire from other players....maybe it was that #2 draft position, but guys always liked to seem to posterize him and then stare him down. Probably better than Holmgren in today's league.

This is revisionist. He was a top shot blocker in the NBA for 10 years, of course ppl wanted to dunk on him; that’s a badge of honour. Jak gets yammed on monthly, but still never shys away from protecting the rim. He played 10+ years in the league with pretty good consistency. He also added 20-30 lbs in those early years to battle freakish bigs like Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, Shaq, Mourning etc.

David Robinson had injuries through his career too.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-04-2022, 04:08 PM
This is revisionist. He was a top shot blocker in the NBA for 10 years, of course ppl wanted to dunk on him; that’s a badge of honour. Jak gets yammed on monthly, but still never shys away from protecting the rim. He played 10+ years in the league with pretty good consistency. He also added 20-30 lbs in those early years to battle freakish bigs like Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, Shaq, Mourning etc.

I just had to go to Basketball Reference and look at his average games played per season, and he played more games than I thought. I think the "revisionist" is just my fading memory of guys like Bradley. :lol He took some thumpings though, and maybe it was because he wasn't afraid to get between a player and the rim. He actually held up better than my memory apparently. :tu

MultiTroll
09-04-2022, 05:16 PM
Was Chets injury one that could happen to even a non toothpick?

Check it. Lebron steps on his foot just before the tweak. The non injured planted foot, Lebron steps on it while Chet is trying to rotate the injured foot.

Stoopid defense by Chet, Xs 1000 in a meaningless glorified rat ball game in July. But he's super competitive and wanted to show he belonged in the NBA, especially with a block or stop on Lebron. And don't think for a second Lebron wasn't giving 100% on that play either.

rastaspur
09-05-2022, 08:38 PM

Bradley was treated as a scrub but he wasn't. He just didn't live up to the white hype label the media put on him. Players hated him because he was physical on those elbows flew loos and hard. People tried to fight him on the reg.