PDA

View Full Version : Jaylin Williams - Arkansas (PF) Spurs Steal of the 2022 NBA Draft

C-Dub
05-03-2022, 12:53 PM
Jaylin Williams 6'10" 240lb PF Arkansas Razorbacks. This would be a steal if the Spurs selected him with the 25th pick in the 1st rd. Check out his game against Tari Eason from LSU this past season. Eason looks so much smaller compared to Jaylin and Jaylin seems to be much more mobile and athletic. Check out his games against Auburn and Kentucky as well. Potential, Potential, Potential!!! After your review, please let me know your thoughts on Jaylin Williams PF from Arkansas.

C-Dub
05-03-2022, 01:06 PM
Can also make the 3 ball and the midrange consistently. Pretty good court vision with his passing and good IQ.

R. DeMurre
05-03-2022, 01:42 PM
More than any other player, Jaylin Williams may have won me over with the eye test because he just always seems to be in the right place at the right time. He played especially well in big games against good teams. Check out his splits too: In the first half of the season, he scored in single figures in 12 of the first 14 games. He finished the year scoring in double figures in 20 of 23 games. A very underrated passer along with being a great defender.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jaylin-williams-2/gamelog/2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uilquZn9xR8

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-03-2022, 01:48 PM
I like him a lot, but I can't see him being a 4 in the NBA. He's an undersized 5 but he has some skills - passing potential, possibly a J down the road. His defense is already very good. Wouldn't hate it if they draft him, especially if he's available at pick 38 but I suppose he'd go earlier than that.

heyheymymy
05-03-2022, 01:49 PM
He was great in the Zaga game and kinda reminds me of Bobo

heyheymymy
05-03-2022, 01:50 PM
might work with #38

ZeusWillJudge
05-03-2022, 02:37 PM
Williams is a solid prospect. I said before the Zaga game that I expected him to push Holmgren around, and for Holmgren's lock on #1 to dissolve as a result. I don't want to fight with the people who think Holmgren can do no wrong, but Williams absolutely prevented him from dominating. He's a good defender, and an absolute wizard at drawing charges. He's a good rebounder - I get sick of the big guys who are shy on the boards.

He's not a great shot blocker, and he makes just enough 3's to give some hope that he might become adequate - but he doesn't shoot them well enough to force defenses to respect that part of his game.

I like him. I think he could absolutely be a bargain, depending on where he finally gets drafted. But only if they still have to balance that part of the roster when the time comes. Believe it or not, on the offensive end he's not (yet) as good as Zach Collins - but I think he's a substantially better defender. If the Spurs are looking to use Collins in a trade, I would think Williams would be on their short list.

Don't compare him to Eason, though. They're not anywhere near the same level, especially if you look at Eason's development through the season. If you want a quick stat that shows how much difference there is in their respective games, look at EFG% (or TS% if you prefer). Williams EFG% was .489, and Eason's was .559. If you don't follow that, take my word for it, that's a world of difference. Eason's TS% was .615, which is pretty solid - Williams was .538, which is not. What all that means is that Eason shoots the 3 better, gets to the line more often, and knocks down more of his FT's. And while I think Williams is a good defender, Eason is better and more versatile.

I like Williams well enough, and if they can really get him in the second round I'm all for it. I agree that he's probably a draft bargain there.

rjv
05-03-2022, 02:49 PM
last i read up on him, bleacher report had him going to the spurs in the 2nd round but at that time he hadn't hired an agent so he could theoretically withdraw his name from the draft.