PDA

View Full Version : Heat

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Millennial_Messiah
05-14-2022, 11:18 AM
I've lived in SA the majority of my life but I don't remember it getting this hot (and generally dry) this early this consistently. It feels like July or August and it's only mid May. Last year it didn't get to 100 degrees until late August/early September. This year we've already had several days over 100 and a bucket-load more in the 10 day forecast. Typically May is a wet and stormy month here in Texas. What the heck's going on? Dry line shifting east?

SpursforSix
05-14-2022, 03:23 PM
Idk. Someone I talked to predicted this based on Farmer’s Almanac. Said it was going to be hot and dry and challenge records.

Millennial_Messiah
05-14-2022, 03:37 PM
Idk. Someone I talked to predicted this based on Farmer’s Almanac. Said it was going to be hot and dry and challenge records.

So hopefully we'll have a cooler and earlier fall and early winter right? That usually happens after ultra hot late springs/summers.

SpursforSix
05-14-2022, 03:47 PM
So hopefully we'll have a cooler and earlier fall and early winter right? That usually happens after ultra hot late springs/summers.

I don’t know. He didn’t mention it. I used to pick up a FA every year. Not really for the weather but it’s kind of a cool publication. I hope that’s the case though.

Millennial_Messiah
05-14-2022, 04:10 PM
I don’t know. He didn’t mention it. I used to pick up a FA every year. Not really for the weather but it’s kind of a cool publication. I hope that’s the case though.

I remember in 2013 the summer was HOT HOT HOT (like 107 every day in August/early September) but then by October 5th it was getting down into the 40s and 50s with cool strong north winds and then in early December ice-pocalypse happened in North Texas and shut everything down for a week in EARLY DECEMBER which was finals week and it was an overall very long and cold winter with multiple snow storms and school cancellations in the 2013-14 winter.

baseline bum
05-14-2022, 11:30 PM
Never seen a May this fucked up. Occasionally a June like this but we're in line to break records for the whole week coming up.

Millennial_Messiah
05-15-2022, 09:56 AM
Never seen a May this fucked up. Occasionally a June like this but we're in line to break records for the whole week coming up.
Yep. Typically May is very wet, muggy, humid, and stormy with lots of "tornado alert / weather alert" days throughout the month (including each of the past two years), with some dry days in the 90s, but nothing like this. The dominant heat-high pressure ridge feature (over 1030 millibars) parked over South / Central Texas is much more typical of July or August than May or even June.

So far we've had 2 thunderstorms this spring, both at night and neither of which the severe / hail / tornado risk variety.

FrostKing
05-21-2022, 04:29 AM
https://youtu.be/2GfZl4kuVNI

Millennial_Messiah
05-21-2022, 11:43 AM
Looks like a less hot but stormy next 5 days!

Millennial_Messiah
05-21-2022, 11:44 AM
Just hope no tornadoes. Can't believe Gaylord, Michigan (that's far north central lower peninsula) got an F4 yesterday. Very rare.

SpursforSix
05-21-2022, 04:23 PM
https://youtu.be/2GfZl4kuVNI

The first half or so if that was fantastic.

baseline bum
05-21-2022, 06:33 PM
Another shitty thing about this heat is its corresponding with some really nasty smog thanks to fuckers in Mexico burning their fields before the growing season. Last few days San Antonio looks like how I remember LA being 20-25 years ago. Shit doesn't usually bother me too much (only cedar pollen really fucks with me most years) but it probably would a lot more often if those burns were combined with August weather like this May has seen.

Millennial_Messiah
05-21-2022, 07:14 PM
Another shitty thing about this heat is its corresponding with some really nasty smog thanks to fuckers in Mexico burning their fields before the growing season. Last few days San Antonio looks like how I remember LA being 20-25 years ago. Shit doesn't usually bother me too much (only cedar pollen really fucks with me most years) but it probably would a lot more often if those burns were combined with August weather like this May has seen.

I guess the good news is there is a LOT of rain in the forecast between now and the 25th.

pgardn
05-21-2022, 08:06 PM
I guess the good news is there is a LOT of rain in the forecast between now and the 25th.

We need it.
Just wait till August and Sept.
We are gonna be on all kinds of water restrictions.

And this stuff is absolutely shitty for outdoor exercise. Even the biking has been harder. 93 degrees with a heat index of 101...on Friday. Honestly it felt a whole lot worse than that. A day or so before it was 100 degrees with a heat index of 96. That was doable. This heat index stuff seems like its for people just walking. I think the humidity plays a much larger role than is calculated when exercising. You just cant get rid of the heat easily, even when riding with a good amount of wind. When the humidity is low at least you can soak yourself at each water station and you get bone dry, but at least stay cooler between water stops.

The woman's marathon in the China Olympics started an hour earlier because it was so humid. The girls from Eastern Africa (one the world record holder) got destroyed in the heat. East Africa only had 3 in the top 10. They train at altitude in low humidity, so they could not dominate the entire field because the humidity was so bad and led to extraordinarily slow times. Hell an American won the bronze!

Millennial_Messiah
05-21-2022, 09:38 PM
We need it.
Just wait till August and Sept.
We are gonna be on all kinds of water restrictions.

And this stuff is absolutely shitty for outdoor exercise. Even the biking has been harder. 93 degrees with a heat index of 101...on Friday. Honestly it felt a whole lot worse than that. A day or so before it was 100 degrees with a heat index of 96. That was doable. This heat index stuff seems like its for people just walking. I think the humidity plays a much larger role than is calculated when exercising. You just cant get rid of the heat easily, even when riding with a good amount of wind. When the humidity is low at least you can soak yourself at each water station and you get bone dry, but at least stay cooler between water stops.

The woman's marathon in the China Olympics started an hour earlier because it was so humid. The girls from Eastern Africa (one the world record holder) got destroyed in the heat. East Africa only had 3 in the top 10. They train at altitude in low humidity, so they could not dominate the entire field because the humidity was so bad and led to extraordinarily slow times. Hell an American won the bronze!
Good analysis.

Yeah, I hate the humidity too. The whole Texas to Florida belt has it the worst. People will say Arizona but at least it's the dry heat. Problem is all the places in the USA that aren't ultra humid are either ultra expensive or bone cold or both.

Water and power restrictions are already going to be a problem, drought or no drought, but the drought doesn't help things. My mom doesn't take heat well and is afraid she will die if there are blackouts or brownouts this summer (she's a teacher so she stays home all summer). CPS and SAWS bills per unit have risen rapidly since early 2021.

One thing people can do to help mitigate the problem is stop doing sprinklers on their lawns. I'll never understand the dumb obsession some people in neighborhoods have over having the greenest healthiest grass on the street.

pgardn
05-21-2022, 09:58 PM
Good analysis.

Yeah, I hate the humidity too. The whole Texas to Florida belt has it the worst. People will say Arizona but at least it's the dry heat. Problem is all the places in the USA that aren't ultra humid are either ultra expensive or bone cold or both.

Water and power restrictions are already going to be a problem, drought or no drought, but the drought doesn't help things. My mom doesn't take heat well and is afraid she will die if there are blackouts or brownouts this summer (she's a teacher so she stays home all summer). CPS and SAWS bills per unit have risen rapidly since early 2021.

One thing people can do to help mitigate the problem is stop doing sprinklers on their lawns. I'll never understand the dumb obsession some people in neighborhoods have over having the greenest healthiest grass on the street.

We have a dog and grass is good for them staying cleaner if they come in the house.
If your backyard is all dirt it’s a mess. Plus it’s fun chasing a dog around on grass.
We are so close to getting a good brief downpour tonight. Right there… Please…

But I get ya. The grass goes if the restrictions make it happen.
Its on the brink. Getting dry and krinkly

baseline bum
05-21-2022, 10:24 PM
We have a dog and grass is good for them staying cleaner if they come in the house.
If your backyard is all dirt it’s a mess. Plus it’s fun chasing a dog around on grass.

I just let native clover that doesn't need water take over my yard years ago. My dog's fine with them. Grass is stupid IMO. Only thing I water is stuff I plant to eat, and always by hand.

Millennial_Messiah
05-21-2022, 10:26 PM

The squall just passed me on the Medina/Bexar line a little bit back. Got downpour and thunder but no hail and now it's just occasional thunder rumbles but the rain is completely gone.

As for dogs... I'm just not a fan. The neighbors' dogs always pissed me off because they'd always get in my yard and take a piss or a dump and their bitchy neighbors would always take their side and I'd have to keep reminding them of the law that in the state of Texas that is that animals are strict liability and I can take them to court if they ever damage my property. That I'm allowed to shoot a trespassing animal. Fuck neighbors' dogs tbh. If you want to get dogs or cattle or horses get your own multi acre lot and leave everyone else alone.

Millennial_Messiah
05-21-2022, 10:29 PM
I just let native clover that doesn't need water take over my yard years ago. My dog's fine with them. Grass is stupid IMO. Only thing I water is stuff I plant to eat, and always by hand.

I remember that shit, it was big from about 2013-2018 but then the St Augustine crabgrass took the yard back over. I hate that shit. Those runners/stolons are the ugliest looking damn things.

MultiTroll
05-26-2022, 11:49 PM
The good news is your Heat pics came back from your last road trip hook ups.
https://bonvoyaged.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Abroad7.jpg

Millennial_Messiah
05-29-2022, 11:14 AM
Wow, after this coming week in San Antonio everything in the next 15 days after that is forecast to be 100 and above, with most days reaching 102-104 degrees. And to think, this is only the first half of June :lol

baseline bum
05-29-2022, 03:34 PM
Ugh it's like fucking late July already and we're still almost a month from the actual start of summer

Millennial_Messiah
05-29-2022, 08:39 PM
Ugh it's like fucking late July already and we're still almost a month from the actual start of summer

Yep. Going to Michigan at the end of this upcoming week to escape the heat. Also to go to court

SnakeBoy
05-31-2022, 11:18 PM

Are you talking about horseherb?

https://www.gardenstylesanantonio.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/groundcover-horseherb-710x400.jpg

That's what I have in the shaded parts of the front and back of my house. Looks nice when it rains and survives any droughts. Idk why people try to kill it off so they can have a high maintenance St Augustine lawn.

baseline bum
06-01-2022, 05:38 AM

https://www.gardenstylesanantonio.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/groundcover-horseherb-710x400.jpg

That's what I have in the shaded parts of the front and back of my house. Looks nice when it rains and survives any droughts. Idk why people try to kill it off so they can have a high maintenance St Augustine lawn.

Yeah that's it, thought it was clover but just took a closer look when I took my dog out to piss and it's exactly that. Grows great in areas that only get shade a few hours a day too.

Millennial_Messiah
06-01-2022, 11:23 AM

:bobo

Same here man. You don't get nice grass in Texas or the deep south so you have to choose between St Augustine which is butt ugly or Bermuda which is less ugly but still ugly. I'd go with that natural stuff.

In Michigan the plant hardiness is much higher so you get much nicer grass species like bluegrass, without the ugly runners/stolons.

SpursforSix
06-01-2022, 12:36 PM

Dude...it's fucking BigAg wanting to limit your choices. And once you pick one of their choices, you're going to pay up every year to kill the weeds that thrive with your two choices and fertilize the shit you have.

SpursforSix
06-01-2022, 12:46 PM
:bobo

Same here man. You don't get nice grass in Texas or the deep south so you have to choose between St Augustine which is butt ugly or Bermuda which is less ugly but still ugly. I'd go with that natural stuff.

In Michigan the plant hardiness is much higher so you get much nicer grass species like bluegrass, without the ugly runners/stolons.

I grew up in East Texas with St. Augustine and it was awesome. Maybe the nicest grass to walk on with bare feet. When we moved to the DFW area, the house we bought had St. Augustine. It was the only house in the neighborhood that had it. And we pretty quickly learned why. There was another grass that thrived called, "Dallas Grass", and it grew quicker. We could never control it. So we ripped up all the St. Augustine and sodded with Bermuda (can't remember the exact type) but it was pretty nice as well. I wouldn't call either, "ugly" when you're keeping a lawn in the city.

SpursforSix
06-01-2022, 12:49 PM
It's a weird deal though. You take a hike and see some piece of land covered with various types of grass, "weeds", and wildflowers, and it's beautiful. But if you let your lawn look the same, it's ugly. Is this BigHOA and BigAg?

leemajors
06-01-2022, 01:01 PM
Dude...it's fucking BigAg wanting to limit your choices. And once you pick one of their choices, you're going to pay up every year to kill the weeds that thrive with your two choices and fertilize the shit you have.

There are companies like Sunday who can tailor soil additives and natural fertilizers, but you can usually just use compost tea and blackstrap molasses and your lawn will look great as long as you don't cut it too short, St Augustine or not. The molasses also keeps fire ants out.

SpursforSix
06-01-2022, 02:07 PM
There are companies like Sunday who can tailor soil additives and natural fertilizers, but you can usually just use compost tea and blackstrap molasses and your lawn will look great as long as you don't cut it too short, St Augustine or not. The molasses also keeps fire ants out.

That's good to know.

Millennial_Messiah
06-01-2022, 03:14 PM
I grew up in East Texas with St. Augustine and it was awesome. Maybe the nicest grass to walk on with bare feet. When we moved to the DFW area, the house we bought had St. Augustine. It was the only house in the neighborhood that had it. And we pretty quickly learned why. There was another grass that thrived called, "Dallas Grass", and it grew quicker. We could never control it. So we ripped up all the St. Augustine and sodded with Bermuda (can't remember the exact type) but it was pretty nice as well. I wouldn't call either, "ugly" when you're keeping a lawn in the city.
You've obviously never set foot on a nice sunny 70-75 degree high day in June on Kentucky bluegrass or Michigan grass.

The main thing that's obnoxious about the St. Augustine grass is the butt ugly runners. They're super visible on the edges of lawns, when it's dry for awhile, or after mowing the lawns.

Millennial_Messiah
06-01-2022, 03:16 PM
It's a weird deal though. You take a hike and see some piece of land covered with various types of grass, "weeds", and wildflowers, and it's beautiful. But if you let your lawn look the same, it's ugly. Is this BigHOA and BigAg?

It's called Texas / the South. Go up to Colorado Springs or Denver and they have gorgeous supple dark green grass up there. The upper Midwest has nice grass as well as the Northeast US for the most part.

baseline bum
06-02-2022, 09:30 PM
Fucking hell: 105 Sunday, 107 Monday, 106 Tuesday, 104 Wednesday :pctoss

Millennial_Messiah
06-02-2022, 10:32 PM
Fucking hell: 105 Sunday, 107 Monday, 106 Tuesday, 104 Wednesday :pctoss
Yup. This year's a 3rd-straight-year-La Niña, which is VERY rare in meteorology. It's going to shatter the all time average heat record for the May to September period for most of Texas. Also you can count on graduated stage water restrictions and a lot of random fires.

baseline bum
06-06-2022, 07:15 PM
Ugh this neverending heat wave blows. 104 with a 65 degree dewpoint is shit.

Millennial_Messiah
06-08-2022, 10:35 AM
Ugh this neverending heat wave blows. 104 with a 65 degree dewpoint is shit.

It's 57 and overcast where I am in West Michigan :)

Also I set my AC back in San Antonio on 84 degrees so it won't completely jack up the power bill while I'm gone.

baseline bum
06-08-2022, 11:16 AM
It's 57 and overcast where I am in West Michigan :)

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/1b/9c/c7/1b9cc7a94d5b5285c98727e50cba0d7a--animal-house-party-animals.jpg

baseline bum
06-08-2022, 05:43 PM
Had a break today, only got to 99. Supposed to be around 105-106 this weekend though blech.

SnakeBoy
06-11-2022, 04:27 PM
Well it's a little toasty today

https://media.tenor.co/images/2aae7330e0d79648e829f4aa2f896ce6/raw

baseline bum
06-11-2022, 04:53 PM
Well it's a little toasty today

https://media.tenor.co/images/2aae7330e0d79648e829f4aa2f896ce6/raw

Will be hotter tomorrow

baseline bum
06-13-2022, 06:38 AM
So the heat dome is supposed to move east but did it have a kid it's leaving behind or something? Because we're pretty much at or above 100 for the rest of the month according to forecasts when we're should be in the low 90s this time of year.

Millennial_Messiah
06-13-2022, 11:49 AM
https://i.pinimg.com/474x/1b/9c/c7/1b9cc7a94d5b5285c98727e50cba0d7a--animal-house-party-animals.jpg
Currently in Aurora, Colorado for this week. With family. The nights are reasonably temperate (lows in the upper 50s) but the days are in the 90s. Will get a bit of a reprieve middle of this week and only highs in the upper 80s. Spent most of the weekend in Omaha and jeezus it was hot as hell there :lol like 100+ with oppressive humidity. But I will be camping at least one night in the mountains at Rocky Mountain National Park and I'll also be climbing Mt Elbert this week at some point so I'll get a little splash of June cool weather before driving back down into the oven and baking with you guys.

Millennial_Messiah
06-13-2022, 11:53 AM
So the heat dome is supposed to move east but did it have a kid it's leaving behind or something? Because we're pretty much at or above 100 for the rest of the month according to forecasts when we're should be in the low 90s this time of year.

3rd-year-in-a-row La Niña year at work. It's an exceptionally rare meteorological event that hasn't occurred in 118 years.

It's a completely natural event caused by the deficits in the Pacific Decadal Oscillation. Not attributable to global warming (man-made or otherwise) as this type of event actually has a net cooling effect on the earth compared to, say, El Niño events.

baseline bum
06-13-2022, 12:37 PM
Currently in Aurora, Colorado for this week. With family. The nights are reasonably temperate (lows in the upper 50s) but the days are in the 90s. Will get a bit of a reprieve middle of this week and only highs in the upper 80s. Spent most of the weekend in Omaha and jeezus it was hot as hell there :lol like 100+ with oppressive humidity. But I will be camping at least one night in the mountains at Rocky Mountain National Park and I'll also be climbing Mt Elbert this week at some point so I'll get a little splash of June cool weather before driving back down into the oven and baking with you guys.

Looking at the weather in Omaha right now, temp / dew point is 91/66, which is lower dewpoint than when it was 91 here yesterday when dew point was in the low 70s and finally dropped to 60 once it got to 105.

Millennial_Messiah
06-13-2022, 01:08 PM
Looking at the weather in Omaha right now, temp / dew point is 91/66, which is lower dewpoint than when it was 91 here yesterday when dew point was in the low 70s and finally dropped to 60 once it got to 105.
Yeah it's expected to get over 100 in Nebraska today plus some cloud cover and high humidity. Good thing I booked it west out of dodge just in time. Colorado's (Denver Metro) weather is too hot for me right now but I'm looking forward to spending some time in the mountains and seeing what nature has to offer me there.

baseline bum
06-14-2022, 04:25 PM
So this fucking heat dome is moving back to us by Thursday or Friday? The 98 today feels like 85 after getting used to days of 105.

SpursforSix
06-14-2022, 04:39 PM
So this fucking heat dome is moving back to us by Thursday or Friday? The 98 today feels like 85 after getting used to days of 105.

We've got 98 tomorrow and then at least 13 days of 100+. What a beating.

benefactor
06-14-2022, 04:45 PM
Here it's going to get over 100 on Thurs and stay there for at least a week.

baseline bum
06-14-2022, 04:46 PM

Feels like it's going to be 100+ until fucking October this year

baseline bum
06-14-2022, 04:47 PM
On the plus side I think I'm just going to do all my cooking out in the car now to keep from heating the kitchen up. Should be hot enough to cook burgers on the dashboard by Thursday or Friday.

Millennial_Messiah
06-15-2022, 12:13 PM
On the plus side I think I'm just going to do all my cooking out in the car now to keep from heating the kitchen up. Should be hot enough to cook burgers on the dashboard by Thursday or Friday.

51 degrees this morning in Aurora, CO. Went for a nice walk and some exercising then showered. Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park is up today. Then Central City deep in the mountains for a few days before heading back east on likely Sunday afternoon.

Millennial_Messiah
06-15-2022, 12:16 PM
Feels like it's going to be 100+ until fucking October this year

Actually, meteorologically speaking, no. Typically when we get these scorching hot summers in Texas the fall tends to be longer and much cooler than average as opposed to the summers that are cooler and wetter and stay in the upper 80s/low 90s most of the time, but the trade-off is that it usually doesn't cool off until Mid November or even later. Like last year for example, no 100s until late August/early September, but we had 80s clear up through Christmas and the fall was generally balmy and an Indian summer.

Remember in years like 2011, 2013 and 2019 where it was scorching hot all summer and then by mid October we were already seeing temps fairly consistently in the 30s and 40s. The heat drops off like a rock.

Millennial_Messiah
06-15-2022, 12:17 PM

Shattering all time records, at least for June. But on average it's not even close to this hot even in late July or August.

baseline bum
06-15-2022, 05:24 PM
Shockingly had an average June day today, only got to 92 in my area. But have nothing but ~100 forecast for the rest of the month.

Millennial_Messiah
06-17-2022, 12:44 PM
Gah, it's awful, and it's everywhere :(

SpursforSix
06-17-2022, 01:03 PM
Last night, my balls were so hot, that they cauterized Andy's mom's eyelids.

SpursforSix
06-17-2022, 01:04 PM
Last night, it was so hot, that Andy's mom's pubes caught on fire and we made Smores.

baseline bum
06-17-2022, 01:28 PM
Gah, it's awful, and it's everywhere :(

And it's still fucking spring :lol

Millennial_Messiah
06-17-2022, 01:38 PM
And it's still fucking spring :lol

My money is on a big time reprieve starting mid to late September and a well below average Oct through Jan in terms of temps.

SpursforSix
06-17-2022, 01:40 PM
My money is on a big time reprieve starting mid to late September and a well below average Oct through Jan in terms of temps.

It's been so hot that on your mom's last period, she expelled an omelet.

SpursforSix
06-17-2022, 01:41 PM
It's been so hot that on your mom's last period, she expelled an omelet.

Good thing I always keep some Frank's Hot Sauce on hand.

baseline bum
06-17-2022, 02:25 PM

I'm hoping it'll be more like 2011 at least where we got a break and had a reasonable August after horrific June and July. Seems like no way we're not going to have a terrible July.

SpursforSix
06-17-2022, 02:29 PM
I'm hoping it'll be more like 2011 at least where we got a break and had a reasonable August after horrific June and July. Seems like no way we're not going to have a terrible July.

There's no fucking way. It could be a full month of 100+.

baseline bum
06-17-2022, 02:34 PM
There's no fucking way. It could be a full month of 100+.

That's basically what June has been other than that one day, expecting the same out of July. And August too. Ugh having this heat dome over us for the absolute longest days of the year in June fucking sucks.

SpursforSix
06-17-2022, 02:38 PM
That's basically what June has been, expecting the same out of July. And August too. Ugh having this heat dome over us for the absolute longest days of the year in June fucking sucks.

yeah...walking out to your car and 1) having the breath sucked out of you and 2) turning into a sweaty mess. It makes me not want to do shit but stay inside. And we've got two 30 year old air conditioners. I'm hoping they make it through the summer. Replacing one will be bad enough. Can't imagine doing both.

Xevious
06-17-2022, 03:25 PM
yeah...walking out to your car and 1) having the breath sucked out of you and 2) turning into a sweaty mess. It makes me not want to do shit but stay inside. And we've got two 30 year old air conditioners. I'm hoping they make it through the summer. Replacing one will be bad enough. Can't imagine doing both.
Damn. We had to replace our HVAC in January. I'm glad now, I'd hate for that shit to fail in the middle of this heat.

Millennial_Messiah
06-17-2022, 04:25 PM

I think it'll be more like 2011 in June-July paired with 2013 or 2005 in August-September. But 2013 or 2019ish in October to winter.

Millennial_Messiah
06-17-2022, 04:26 PM
Heck, I'm over 8,500' elevation right now (Central City, Rocky Mountains, Colorado) and it's still like 80 degrees and too hot for me :(

SpursforSix
06-17-2022, 04:28 PM
Damn. We had to replace our HVAC in January. I'm glad now, I'd hate for that shit to fail in the middle of this heat.

I also head the backlog for equipment and service is at least several days.

Millennial_Messiah
06-17-2022, 04:39 PM

That's got to be the luckiest timing in the history of ever.

Our 1988 Trane (the one that came with the house I grew up in) finally went kaputzki in late July of 2010. We had to stay at a cheap motel for a couple weeks before the new one was installed in early August. But that one's warranty is expired and now we're worried if it will last until we finally sell the house and move north in roughly June of 2024.

Xevious
06-19-2022, 02:00 PM
That's got to be the luckiest timing in the history of ever.

Our 1988 Trane (the one that came with the house I grew up in) finally went kaputzki in late July of 2010. We had to stay at a cheap motel for a couple weeks before the new one was installed in early August. But that one's warranty is expired and now we're worried if it will last until we finally sell the house and move north in roughly June of 2024.
14 years should be fine as long as it's maintained. The question is if it uses R22 or not. If so most companies claim they can't get parts for it and won't do anything other than basic maintenance.

Millennial_Messiah
06-19-2022, 11:13 PM
14 years should be fine as long as it's maintained. The question is if it uses R22 or not. If so most companies claim they can't get parts for it and won't do anything other than basic maintenance.

no, it uses Puron and not the original freon which is R22.

SnakeBoy
06-20-2022, 12:46 AM

I just replaced both of ours this winter...$22k for a 3 ton Trane and a 3 ton Bosch.

SpursforSix
06-20-2022, 12:02 PM
I just replaced both of ours this winter...$22k for a 3 ton Trane and a 3 ton Bosch.

Yeah...I'm dreading it. I don't think we'll need two 3 tons. Our main problem is our downstairs thermometer is in the living room that has a twenty foot ceiling and the upstairs has a loft (with the upstairs thermostat) that opens up into that ceiling. Giant windows facing west in the living room. We don't have a lot of square footage but it's been a bitch keeping the bedrooms the same temp as the living room. We're always having to change the vents depending on the time of the year. But I'm thinking (hoping) we can replace the two units for $10,000 or so.

Reck
06-22-2022, 09:45 PM
Strange June we’re having. It’s been fucking cold all month long. Chilly, cloudy and rainy days.

baseline bum
06-22-2022, 11:14 PM
Strange June we’re having. It’s been fucking cold all month long. Chilly, cloudy and rainy days.

Fuck, our June is a lot hotter than our typical August. So was most of our May.

pgardn
06-22-2022, 11:21 PM
Fuck, our June is a lot hotter than our typical August. So was most of our May.

Running is very difficult.
Put a lot more time into biking in the evening and swimming when I get a chance.
It is really dangerous to try to exercise outside if you are not used to it and dont take the proper precautions.
People walk their dogs on the bike trails and the damn things need water and its miles between water stations.
I have used a whole bottle of water on one dog who had owners that just dont get it.
I cant stand it when people do this to innocent animals.

baseline bum
06-22-2022, 11:35 PM
Running is very difficult.
Put a lot more time into biking in the evening and swimming when I get a chance.
It is really dangerous to try to exercise outside if you are not used to it and dont take the proper precautions.
People walk their dogs on the bike trails and the damn things need water and its miles between water stations.
I have used a whole bottle of water on one dog who had owners that just dont get it.
I cant stand it when people do this to innocent animals.

Every fucking day is 7-14 degrees above average this month and so was most of May. I have seen some ugly summers in San Antonio but this one is poised to be the worst. Started so early and the heat has been relentless other than a 3-4 day period in late May. At least bad summers in the past would wait for June to start sucking.

Yeah people are morons everywhere when it comes to water. First time I went to Yosemite I just did the hike up the two waterfalls on the Mist Trail (like 6 miles roundtrip, couple thousand feet elevation change) and I had tourons on the trail asking me for water out of my 1 liter bottle and then saying they were still going to Half Dome. In the middle of the day in July. It's like a 5000 foot ascent and 18 mile roundtrip on the trailhead and there were so many shitheads I saw doing that with a 2/3 empty 20 oz bottle of water or nothing at all. I told every one of them no and that they should just drink out the river if they're thirsty and if they get giardia oh well, it'll take a few days and you won't have heat stroke on the trail today.

Millennial_Messiah
06-23-2022, 10:30 AM
NYC? lucky

pgardn
06-23-2022, 07:38 PM
Every fucking day is 7-14 degrees above average this month and so was most of May. I have seen some ugly summers in San Antonio but this one is poised to be the worst. Started so early and the heat has been relentless other than a 3-4 day period in late May. At least bad summers in the past would wait for June to start sucking.

Yeah people are morons everywhere when it comes to water. First time I went to Yosemite I just did the hike up the two waterfalls on the Mist Trail (like 6 miles roundtrip, couple thousand feet elevation change) and I had tourons on the trail asking me for water out of my 1 liter bottle and then saying they were still going to Half Dome. In the middle of the day in July. It's like a 5000 foot ascent and 18 mile roundtrip on the trailhead and there were so many shitheads I saw doing that with a 2/3 empty 20 oz bottle of water or nothing at all. I told every one of them no and that they should just drink out the river if they're thirsty and if they get giardia oh well, it'll take a few days and you won't have heat stroke on the trail today.

It totally sucks.

We were told the highs would be extremely high and the lows, strangely low, as the overall average goes up.
Its coming to fruition. If we must live with these extreme weather shifts we have got to learn to be mobile with our farming and our infrastructure. Ports and stuff. This instability costs us a whole lot of money. We can always point to horrible drought years and cold. But now its happening more often. One thing we got sort of lucky on here is we did not get a whole lot of spring vegetative growth to create fuel for monster fires here. But if it gets to trees... i dont know. And the frickin wind is crazy as well. So many kayak fishing days lost or rerouted due to wind. The regular Youtube guys are not putting out near as many videos. And big fires with wind are absolutely mind blowing. They are like blast furnaces.

SpursforSix
06-26-2022, 10:26 AM
10763090 (tel:10763090)[/URL]]It totally sucks.

We were told the highs would be extremely high and the lows, strangely low, as the overall average goes up.
Its coming to fruition. If we must live with these extreme weather shifts we have got to learn to be mobile with our farming and our infrastructure. Ports and stuff. This instability costs us a whole lot of money. We can always point to horrible drought years and cold. But now its happening more often. One thing we got sort of lucky on here is we did not get a whole lot of spring vegetative growth to create fuel for monster fires here. But if it gets to trees... i dont know. And the frickin wind is crazy as well. So many kayak fishing days lost or rerouted due to wind. The regular Youtube guys are not putting out near as many videos. And big fires with wind are absolutely mind blowing. They are like blast furnaces.

Yep. The wind. We live in an area wheee the wind has always been pretty constant. But vacillates between 5 and 10 mph for the most part. Then 20 or so once in a while. This year we’ve had several days where it stayed at 20 and above. It’s brutal. And idiots still shoot off fireworks and have bonfires. I hadn’t thought about our home insurance in a while. Bought it 9 years ago when we moved in. There’s been a few grass fires nearby and I called to check our coverage. Turns out, with the rising values and building costs, we were about 40% short of replacement value if there was a total loss. I’d sure advise anyone to make sure they have adequate insurance. Even if fire isn’t a concern.

Robz4000
06-26-2022, 10:06 PM
Looks like this upcoming week will be cooler with a couple decent chances of rain.

monosylab1k
06-26-2022, 10:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gdbUZXC3Go

Millennial_Messiah
06-27-2022, 08:05 AM
Looks like this upcoming week will be cooler with a couple decent chances of rain.

Tropical low in the GOM is literally the only chance this time of year for rain. But on very rare occasions like 2002 and 2007 you'll get one so strong it lingers and floods in the middle of a random fucking July. But that's not most years. Usually the ridge over Texas is too strong and the only possible precip from June through mid September is isolated popcorn sea breeze showers which don't even happen that often.

monosylab1k
06-27-2022, 09:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHXnZQjR6vo

Thread
06-27-2022, 10:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gdbUZXC3Go

Love it. Never grows old. Both Pacino & DeNiro frozen at prime for probably the final time. They'd be different after this.

Sizemore trudgin' across that street during the bank robbery scene is the goods.
The drive-in sequence another topper.

I keep it on the DVR at-all-times.

baseline bum
06-27-2022, 11:47 AM
Of course, the fucking cold front became stationary about 60 miles north of town and it's already 95 before noon. :pctoss

SpursforSix
06-27-2022, 11:55 AM
Love it. Never grows old. Both Pacino & DeNiro frozen at prime for probably the final time. They'd be different after this.

Sizemore trudgin' across that street during the bank robbery scene is the goods.
The drive-in sequence another topper.

I keep it on the DVR at-all-times.

It was pretty much prime for all those guys in these particular roles. I enjoyed the set up more than the big shoot out and finale. But enjoyable and re-watchable.

Thread
06-27-2022, 12:25 PM
It was pretty much prime for all those guys in these particular roles. I enjoyed the set up more than the big shoot out and finale. But enjoyable and re-watchable.

Exactly. The black dude (driver)...his story is profound, his wife plays it straight up and down at all times. The black guy's restaurant boss man's his role per written...absolutely stunning. The writers can write it, but you have to have (somebody's) like those 2 to execute it and here it is done to perfection. Here he is getting a loving Dutch uncle from the wife, gets out of the car and is put right back on his heels in a matter of minutes.

I won't do the finale. No way.

SpursforSix
06-27-2022, 12:42 PM
Exactly. The black dude (driver)...his story is profound, his wife plays it straight up and down at all times. The black guy's restaurant boss man's his role per written...absolutely stunning. The writers can write it, but you have to have (somebody's) like those 2 to execute it and here it is done to perfection. Here he is getting a loving Dutch uncle from the wife, gets out of the car and is put right back on his heels in a matter of minutes.

I won't do the finale. No way.

Yeah totally. All the other guys were sold on their profession. The cook had a new and seemingly decent life starting over. But ultimately couldn't reconcile his crap pay with getting treated like shit. Versus a few hours spent on a big time payoff.

Thread
06-27-2022, 01:14 PM
Yeah totally. All the other guys were sold on their profession. The cook had a new and seemingly decent life starting over. But ultimately couldn't reconcile his crap pay with getting treated like shit. Versus a few hours spent on a big time payoff.

Yep, and even if the prick boss would not have been a prick he/black dude still woud've went with the bank rob. He loved his wife, but had failed her and could not figure a way to honor her---to make it clean. Even at success how the hell is he going to explain to her that he violently assaulted his boss, lost his job (he'd made cook!) and has 5k cash?!? Her heart was going to be shattered; no-matter-what. He needed the juice just as Sizemore attests to the fact that he needed it as they make their choices there in the parking lot.

Love the anger that Kilmer expresses immediately upon recognition that the robbery will be challenged in the street. He's eager for the confrontation as he raises the rifle.

SpursforSix
06-27-2022, 01:25 PM
Yep, and even if the prick boss would not have been a prick he/black dude still woud've went with the bank rob. He loved his wife, but had failed her and could not figure a way to honor her---to make it clean. Even at success how the hell is he going to explain to her that he violently assaulted his boss, lost his job (he'd made cook!) and has 5k cash?!? Her heart was going to be shattered; no-matter-what. He needed the juice just as Sizemore attests to the fact that he needed it as they make their choices there in the parking lot.

Love the anger that Kilmer expresses immediately upon recognition that the robbery will be challenged in the street. He's eager for the confrontation as he raises the rifle.

Kilmer had a pretty good run. I didn't realize Top Secret was his first role. Then...skipping around...Real Genius, Top Gun, Willow, The Doors, Thunderheart, True Romance, Tombstone, Heat, The Island of Dr. Moreau, The Ghost in the Darkness, Red Planet, The Missing, and the Salton Sea. That's a couple handfuls of watchable movies with some being pretty great. That's a good stretch with a decent movie every one and a half years. That doesn't even include The Saint, Joe the King, At First Sight.

monosylab1k
06-27-2022, 01:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7m_QaXkryY

monosylab1k
06-27-2022, 01:28 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGUyZwQqvlk

Thread
06-27-2022, 03:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGUyZwQqvlk

Yep, but for Sizemore it is a combination of his loyalty (he doesn't cry but the eyes sheen over) to see DeNiro thru the fire and of course the juice (the tell///the wry smile. And DeNiro (here) is going vehemently against all of his own rules! Why? Because he is human. Pacino knows EVERYTHING, gives him a straight opportunity to walk away with the old boodle and DeNiro can't take it because it angers him that he can't leave on his own volition, angers him that Pacino is wise and has DeNiro's life and CONTENTMENT in his hands. And Pacino is not throwing it in his face, no...he's giving him all the room he possibly can and DeNiro is blinded by the reality of his life and choices...and cannot let go.

That's why I cannot do the finale. I used to force on myself and then would mope the rest of the day. Never again.

Thread
06-27-2022, 03:32 PM
Kilmer had a pretty good run. I didn't realize Top Secret was his first role. Then...skipping around...Real Genius, Top Gun, Willow, The Doors, Thunderheart, True Romance, Tombstone, Heat, The Island of Dr. Moreau, The Ghost in the Darkness, Red Planet, The Missing, and the Salton Sea. That's a couple handfuls of watchable movies with some being pretty great. That's a good stretch with a decent movie every one and a half years. That doesn't even include The Saint, Joe the King, At First Sight.

I get a kick out of -The Ghost and Darkness- Him and Douglas are ALWAYS 30 seconds late to the lion's slaughtering people. Then they stand around aiming their shotguns into the darkness. LOL.

---

Back to (Heat)---that part in the diner when DeNiro slam's Waingro's head into the table and Sizemore eyeballs the husky fellow two tables back who takes notice of the ruckus. What a great little aside there. Sizemore doesn't want to kick his ass, not in the least. He wants him to put his head back down and read his shit. The fellow considers it (longer than I would've) and obeys Sizemore's silent command. Love it.

GAustex
06-27-2022, 06:30 PM
Sweet summer time rain

Robz4000
06-27-2022, 08:34 PM
Barely got any on the NE side but at least it looks like the aquifer's been getting a lot today.

GAustex
06-27-2022, 09:30 PM
Guessing about an inch in N. Austin and still raining.
80 degrees outside is nice

SpursforSix
06-27-2022, 10:42 PM
I get a kick out of -The Ghost and Darkness- Him and Douglas are ALWAYS 30 seconds late to the lion's slaughtering people. Then they stand around aiming their shotguns into the darkness. LOL.

---

Back to (Heat)---that part in the diner when DeNiro slam's Waingro's head into the table and Sizemore eyeballs the husky fellow two tables back who takes notice of the ruckus. What a great little aside there. Sizemore doesn't want to kick his ass, not in the least. He wants him to put his head back down and read his shit. The fellow considers it (longer than I would've) and obeys Sizemore's silent command. Love it.

Sizemore should have had a better career but he went wheels off.

Millennial_Messiah
06-27-2022, 11:24 PM

random story, when I was 13 I had a dream that I sucked Grady Sizemore's dick and liked it. The Cleveland Indians slugger at the time.

Thread
06-28-2022, 12:59 AM

True, but he was this||close to dying and salvaged himself, SfS. Take a look at his IMDB page. He currently has 35 pictures in (announced) (pre production) (filming) (post production) & (completed) status in 2022 alone! Every time I see Sizemore trudging across that LA street in that gray suit -Heat- I think of what we could have lost. Bless-his-heart for coming back to us.

Another actor who salvaged himself is even more amazing...Eric Roberts. His IMDB page is insane. He met the right woman, S. She became his manager and his wife under but 1 condition...He had a choice...either her, or, the drugs. He could not have both. He's never looked back.

They're both still here, thank Christ.

https://www.seeing-stars.com/Locations/Heat/Bank-Outside.JPG

https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.rogerebert.com/uploads/blog_post/primary_image/features/a-horror-story-for-our-times-another-look-at-bob-fosses-star-80/star80.jpg

Xevious
06-30-2022, 09:17 PM
Ho-leee shit we just got our CPS bill. :pctoss :flipoff

baseline bum
06-30-2022, 09:22 PM
Ho-leee shit we just got our CPS bill. :pctoss :flipoff

Just in time to get back to 100 degree weather. Some cold front, had below average temperatures on Tuesday and that was it.

Xevious
06-30-2022, 09:30 PM
Just in time to get back to 100 degree weather. Some cold front, had below average temperatures on Tuesday and that was it.
I didn't really think the break-even on solar was worth it. But a few months of this fucking heat and CPS raising their rates may have me question that.

baseline bum
06-30-2022, 09:40 PM
I didn't really think the break-even on solar was worth it. But a few months of this fucking heat and CPS raising their rates may have me question that.

Nice that we got the expense of weatherizing the grid without actually weatherizing it.

baseline bum
06-30-2022, 11:39 PM
So hottest May ever recorded in San Antonio followed by hottest June ever recorded in San Antonio. Gee I wonder how our fucking July is going to be? Typical summer here has 18 days over 100 and we had 17 this month.

monosylab1k
07-01-2022, 08:19 AM
“A book about metals”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2yCRqoVXQg

baseline bum
07-05-2022, 09:59 AM
Fuck this summer. More rape on the electric bill.

https://i.ibb.co/1Kvt31X/fuckme.png

SnakeBoy
07-05-2022, 09:57 PM
Fuck this summer. More rape on the electric bill.

https://i.ibb.co/1Kvt31X/fuckme.png

lol... Idgaf the AC is staying on 68F. If the grid dies, it dies.

baseline bum
07-05-2022, 10:12 PM

Wouldn't it just be cheaper to buy a private island in Canada and live there until October?

SnakeBoy
07-05-2022, 11:20 PM
Wouldn't it just be cheaper to buy a private island in Canada and live there until October?

Funny thing is my May/June bill is only $31 more than last year. I guess the new ac's really will pay for themselves eventually.

SnakeBoy
07-06-2022, 12:03 AM
Funny thing is my May/June bill is only $31 more than last year. I guess the new ac's really will pay for themselves eventually.

That got me curious, so I looked online at my usage. We actually used 4.74 kWh less this past month than last year. Bosch 20 SEER ac's :tu.

SpursforSix
07-06-2022, 11:27 AM
That got me curious, so I looked online at my usage. We actually used 4.74 kWh less this past month than last year. Bosch 20 SEER ac's :tu.

https://i.gifer.com/7exN.gif

Millennial_Messiah
07-06-2022, 05:42 PM

Faroe Islands mid April to mid October and Falkland Islands mid October to mid April

as long as you can get good wifi, that's the life.

Millennial_Messiah
07-06-2022, 05:44 PM
Drove back to hell last night. Waco on I-35 southbound was impassable even at night and it cost me 2 hours in ridiculous agitating bumper to bumper traffic. It didn't get under 90 degrees until well past midnight last night when I was around roughly Round Rock, northern Austin. It's over 100 right now just west of SA. #fuckme

Millennial_Messiah
07-06-2022, 05:46 PM

:tu And for me as well. 68º all spring/summer/fall long, fuck a CPS bill tbh I only live once and don't do heat.

baseline bum
07-06-2022, 06:20 PM
I just jump in the pool about 5:00 or 6:00 every day. Can't get my house down to 68 when it's 100+ especially if I'm cooking that day.

Thread
07-06-2022, 06:33 PM
I just jump in the pool about 5:00 or 6:00 every day. Can't get my house down to 68 when it's 100+ especially if I'm cooking that day.

Just sit on a 12-incher and shut up!

baseline bum
07-06-2022, 10:24 PM
Just sit on a 12-incher and shut up!

Sorry cubby, I ain't Magic Johnson.

baseline bum
07-10-2022, 06:15 AM
Fucking hell, 105 yesterday, 105 today, 105 tomorrow, 105 Tuesday, 103 Wednesday. We're going to obliterate our record of 59 days over 100 in 2009.

baseline bum
07-10-2022, 06:52 AM
And we're not even in the hot part of the year yet. Wouldn't surprise me if in early to mid August if we're seeing prolonged stretches of 108-110.

baseline bum
07-10-2022, 02:37 PM
Wow 106 in town right now at 2:30 with 3 to 3 1/2 hours left to still heat up more. :pctoss

ChumpDumper
07-10-2022, 04:30 PM
Had a power interruption and thought a transformer had blown. Actually had a cloudburst up here. Sat in the garage for half an hour with the door open like I had never seen rain before. Glorious 20 degree temperature drop.

baseline bum
07-10-2022, 05:24 PM
Had a power interruption and thought a transformer had blown. Actually had a cloudburst up here. Sat in the garage for half an hour with the door open like I had never seen rain before. Glorious 20 degree temperature drop.

Oh man yeah just had that 20 degree drop from the rain, now only 86. Though it'll surely go back up into the lower 90s pretty soon, but still beats the fuck out of 106.

baseline bum
07-10-2022, 07:35 PM

Fuck, and now it's back over 100 at 7:30

Xevious
07-10-2022, 09:20 PM
Yeah, that was a nice 20 minutes of rain. :lol

baseline bum
07-10-2022, 11:38 PM
Yeah, that was a nice 20 minutes of rain. :lol

Because it just wasn't humid enough before the rain.

Robz4000
07-11-2022, 06:02 AM
Rain never made it to my neck of the woods yesterday; heard some thunder but that was it. Topped out at 108 and stayed there a solid three hours. Today we might clear 110 and will prolly see rolling blackouts. Stay safe y'all.

Xevious
07-11-2022, 07:32 AM
Rain never made it to my neck of the woods yesterday; heard some thunder but that was it. Topped out at 108 and stayed there a solid three hours. Today we might clear 110 and will prolly see rolling blackouts. Stay safe y'all.
Fuck me I hope not, I'm off work today.

Millennial_Messiah
07-11-2022, 07:58 AM
No rain, not a cloud in the sky, 107 yesterday with 25% max humidity. Could get up to 110 today. This summer has been literally hell all the way since the beginning of May, nonstop 100s, fucking ridiculous, record annihilating, forget record breaking.

We're due for a nice cool, well below average fall... that's what typically happens after way above summers and I'm hopeful for cool temps from early October forward.

Millennial_Messiah
07-11-2022, 07:59 AM
Oh man yeah just had that 20 degree drop from the rain, now only 86. Though it'll surely go back up into the lower 90s pretty soon, but still beats the fuck out of 106.

So you got the Phoenix Arizona Monsoon treatment, tbh

Millennial_Messiah
07-11-2022, 08:00 AM
Det feel when you realize you actually live in Eastern Arizona, the part of Arizona that's equally hot but more humid because it's close to the gulf, tbh

Millennial_Messiah
07-11-2022, 08:18 AM

Grrr... Sorry to hear that.

I want to move to Michigan full time... fk this.

Medina/Bexar border here, far west SA area.. no blackouts yet, but returned from a month long vacation mid last week late at night and it was 82 degrees inside and took over 24 hours to cool back down to the normal 68. I would literally die if there were a blackout because of both the heat and for the fact my career is 100 percent reliant on internet

baseline bum
07-11-2022, 09:28 AM
Grrr... Sorry to hear that.

I want to move to Michigan full time... fk this.

Medina/Bexar border here, far west SA area.. no blackouts yet, but returned from a month long vacation mid last week late at night and it was 82 degrees inside and took over 24 hours to cool back down to the normal 68. I would literally die if there were a blackout because of both the heat and for the fact my career is 100 percent reliant on internet

ERCOT is forecasting a shortfall this afternoon.

https://www.ercot.com/gridmktinfo/dashboards/supplyanddemand

baseline bum
07-11-2022, 09:30 AM
Fuck me I hope not, I'm off work today.

Bend over

Millennial_Messiah
07-11-2022, 12:03 PM
ERCOT is forecasting a shortfall this afternoon.

fuck it then I'll go to Main Event and go bowling, they'll have generators there

SnakeBoy
07-11-2022, 01:36 PM
https://authentictexas.com/wp-content/uploads/Sheridan-quote.png

baseline bum
07-11-2022, 01:49 PM
https://authentictexas.com/wp-content/uploads/Sheridan-quote.png

Said back when San Antonio was way less hot than modern times

ChumpDumper
07-11-2022, 02:52 PM
Raining west of Austin now. Good for the rivershed at least. May get some clouds in town.

Millennial_Messiah
07-11-2022, 03:12 PM
I bet Chennai India is more pleasant than here right now. 107 degrees :bang

baseline bum
07-11-2022, 03:29 PM
I bet Chennai India is more pleasant than here right now. 107 degrees :bang

These fucking heat indicies above 110 are murder.

ChumpDumper
07-11-2022, 04:00 PM
Rain didn't get here but the clouds are knocking the temp down to 95 for now. Lucky two days in a row.

Millennial_Messiah
07-11-2022, 04:01 PM
These fucking heat indicies above 110 are murder.
Heat indexes above 110 in San Antonio are common, but in places like India it can get well over 140 for the heat index. 110+ actual temps and >97% humidity. Just brutal.

SnakeBoy
07-11-2022, 04:04 PM
Clouds rolling in now. Looks like the better rain is going to miss me by just a few miles:bang

baseline bum
07-11-2022, 04:33 PM
Heat indexes above 110 in San Antonio are common, but in places like India it can get well over 140 for the heat index. 110+ actual temps and >97% humidity. Just brutal.

110 temperature with 97% humidity would be a heat index of 269F, which is 91 degrees higher than the highest heat index ever recorded on Earth (in Saudi Arabia).

Millennial_Messiah
07-11-2022, 04:36 PM
110 temperature with 97% humidity would be a heat index of 269F, which is 91 degrees higher than the highest heat index ever recorded on Earth (in Saudi Arabia).

Idk, I have seen heat indices in 140-150 in India/Bangladesh etc

baseline bum
07-11-2022, 04:43 PM
Idk, I have seen heat indices in 140-150 in India/Bangladesh etc

I hate when people use relative humidity, it's a worthless stat for expressing how shitty it feels because it changes wildly with temperature. So people don't really understand what it means and will say shit like oh Chicago is worse than San Antonio because it has 100 degree days with 70% humidity. Yeah right Chicago has ~90 degree dewpoints. Dewpoints are an unambiguous way to express how humid a place is.

baseline bum
07-11-2022, 05:12 PM
Ugh 108 today :pctoss

Xevious
07-11-2022, 05:14 PM
Rain didn't get here but the clouds are knocking the temp down to 95 for now. Lucky two days in a row.
Yeah it's actually comfortable outside right now. I wish it would rain here, but doesn't look like it will.

SnakeBoy
07-11-2022, 05:24 PM
Got about a 1/4 inch, feels like it's around 80 now.

Thank you Jesus.

Millennial_Messiah
07-11-2022, 06:17 PM
Ugh 108 today :pctoss

I feel it even inside, my temper tantrum over the phone feels like just that temperature. Normally I'm fairly calm and easy going but today I'm calling everyone a black bitch or a kike and threatening to sue them. Definitely that kind of summer.

Millennial_Messiah
07-11-2022, 06:19 PM
I hate when people use relative humidity, it's a worthless stat for expressing how shitty it feels because it changes wildly with temperature. So people don't really understand what it means and will say shit like oh Chicago is worse than San Antonio because it has 100 degree days with 70% humidity. Yeah right Chicago has ~90 degree dewpoints. Dewpoints are an unambiguous way to express how humid a place is.

I agree, though I will say that a really hot summer day in say Chicago or Ohio hits worse than the same temperature in say, TX, or especially AZ because of that factor. It's like the sun literally sticks to your skin and you can't get it off. Texas is miserable but at least it's like a sauna and Arizona is more like a hair dryer.

baseline bum
07-11-2022, 10:10 PM
Today was officially the hottest day ever recorded in July in San Antonio, and the fifth hottest day ever recorded in San Antonio.

Millennial_Messiah
07-12-2022, 09:57 AM
Today was officially the hottest day ever recorded in July in San Antonio, and the fifth hottest day ever recorded in San Antonio.

If ERCOT suffers a serious enough failure more people in Texas will die from the heat during the prospective outage than in the entire impact zone from Katrina in 2005.

baseline bum
07-13-2022, 06:54 AM
Fucking hell, today's supposed to be the fifth day in a row we're over 105. This shit is getting old.

Robz4000
07-13-2022, 07:50 PM
Fucking hell, today's supposed to be the fifth day in a row we're over 105. This shit is getting old.

At least you got a working AC. Mine shit out on me the other day.

benefactor
07-14-2022, 09:00 AM
Pouring rain in Tyler. Finally.

Millennial_Messiah
07-14-2022, 03:05 PM
still zero rain in my zipcode since late May.

Millennial_Messiah
12-06-2022, 05:50 PM
Jeezus, it's going to be 80 degrees or damn near that here in SA for the next 6 days before it finally cools off, and it's fucking December :bang

These are average summer days in Michigan. :td

baseline bum
12-08-2022, 11:36 AM
Jeezus, it's going to be 80 degrees or damn near that here in SA for the next 6 days before it finally cools off, and it's fucking December :bang

These are average summer days in Michigan. :td

Are summer days in Michigan this humid? :lol

Fuck I hope 2023 isn't another summer like 2022. Kind of looks like it will be with how hot this fall has been though aside from those two weeks.

Millennial_Messiah
12-08-2022, 12:30 PM
Are summer days in Michigan this humid? :lol

They absolutely can be. You can get a beautiful pleasant sunny 75 degree day up there on July 30th with a cool crisp breeze and naught a cloud in the sky, no heat index, and 2 days later it's August 1st and the high is in the 70s but it's ultra sultry and muggy and it feels more like 90-95 and you're swarmed by mosquitoes. Direct experiences from my last 2 summers in Michigan, 2021 and 2022.

The state is a blot of land completely surrounded on all 5 sides by lakes so you're going to get a lot of humid days in the summer, clouds in spring, wild weather and gorgeous foliage in fall, and lake effect snow in winter through early spring. It is what it is.

Millennial_Messiah
12-08-2022, 12:37 PM
Fuck I hope 2023 isn't another summer like 2022. Kind of looks like it will be with how hot this fall has been though aside from those two weeks.

Weather right now not a harbinger or anything for next year. Often we will have a radical SOI/ONI/ENSO change in the early spring time which drastically reverses the ENSO (El Niño/La Niña pattern). It's known as the springtime unpredictability barrier. We will know more by March/April.

It's a third consecutive La Niña winter which favors generally warmer but drier weather for the southern half of the USA. However, NOAA now predicts that we will be transitioning to Neutral for Spring 2023, decreasing the chance of a hot and dry late spring/summer and increasing the chance of having a wetter, lower temperature but more humid April to June. In addition, Neutral years bring the greatest risk to Texas for severe storms and tornadoes, while El Niños favor wetter but generally tamer weather patterns in spring and early summer, because the jet stream is parked at the latitude of Texas and the prevailing upper level and surface temperatures are typically too cool and stable to produce severe storms, hail, and tornadoes.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.shtml

Millennial_Messiah
06-16-2023, 03:46 PM
Thank goodness now in SA it's just very hot but not the sweltering humidity the last 3 days. Last 3 days were insufferable even inside with the AC on 68 degrees because the humidity was absolutely ridiculous. Like living in Chennai or Mumbai in late spring just before monsoon kicks in. Nearly 100 degrees and nearly 90% humidity. I was literally dying.

Millennial_Messiah
06-16-2023, 03:47 PM
Ugh our dew point is back to 80. Even Thailand isn't this fucking humid right now.

How's it like now? Huge difference between yesterday and today. Instead of the stratus cloud mornings and excruciating humidity the mornings are sunny and actual temps are slightly higher, but there's a yuuuuuuuuge difference in comfort level now that the humidity is only 54% in SA.

Millennial_Messiah
06-16-2023, 03:48 PM
Humidity down to 48%. Temp 99 right now and mostly sunny

Millennial_Messiah
06-16-2023, 03:49 PM
The worst seems to be over for this stretch in terms of heat and humid combo. Humidity forecasts for the next week are below 50% max despite temps at or above 100, but even the actual temps aren't as daunting as before. No 106-110 degree days forecasted now. And no sweltering humidity. The last few days the heat indexes had to be in the 130-140 degree range, just not sustainable for human life.

baseline bum
06-16-2023, 03:53 PM
How's it like now? Huge difference between yesterday and today. Instead of the stratus cloud mornings and excruciating humidity the mornings are sunny and actual temps are slightly higher, but there's a yuuuuuuuuge difference in comfort level now that the humidity is only 54% in SA.

Still hellish with a 74 degree dewpoint, only 3 degrees lower than what it was yesterday when it was 77 all day. Heat index is 113 with two hours more of warming left in the day.

Millennial_Messiah
06-16-2023, 03:54 PM
Still hellish with a 74 degree dewpoint, only 3 degrees lower than what it was yesterday when it was 77 all day. Heat index is 113 with two hours more of warming left in the day.

Where at? I can't seem to find any location in TX on my weather tracker that still has a 70% or worse humidity.

baseline bum
06-16-2023, 03:58 PM
Where at? I can't seem to find any location in TX on my weather tracker that still has a 70% or worse humidity.

I didn't say 70% humidity. I said dew point 74 degrees. Relative humidity is a retarded stat for measuring how muggy it feels.

baseline bum
06-16-2023, 04:10 PM
Thank goodness now in SA it's just very hot but not the sweltering humidity the last 3 days. Last 3 days were insufferable even inside with the AC on 68 degrees because the humidity was absolutely ridiculous. Like living in Chennai or Mumbai in late spring just before monsoon kicks in. Nearly 100 degrees and nearly 90% humidity. I was literally dying.

Today's humidity is mildly lower and temp is a little higher. Basically the same shit as yesterday. Virtually the same heat index. Our heat index is 114 now whereas it was 113 yesterday at 3 or 4PM.

baseline bum
06-16-2023, 05:04 PM
KSAT just reported today's heat index is the highest ever recorded in San Antonio (at 115).

Millennial_Messiah
06-16-2023, 05:40 PM
Today's humidity is mildly lower and temp is a little higher. Basically the same shit as yesterday. Virtually the same heat index. Our heat index is 114 now whereas it was 113 yesterday at 3 or 4PM.
I don't feel like I'm in a rotting in a sauna INDOORS WITH THE AIR CONDITIONER ON, sweating today though. Yesterday's humidity was well over 80 percent though. Now it's under 50. That makes a huge difference.

Millennial_Messiah
06-16-2023, 05:40 PM
KSAT just reported today's heat index is the highest ever recorded in San Antonio (at 115).

Really? I'm pretty sure I remember in September 2011, for once, that the high temp was over 110 and the heat index was close to 120. Also happened another time when I was a smaller kid.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-16-2023, 05:41 PM
People's air is running so much today, I would be surprised if there was much humidity in people's homes. Particularly if you have your thermostat at 72 or the like.

Millennial_Messiah
06-16-2023, 05:41 PM
I didn't say 70% humidity. I said dew point 74 degrees. Relative humidity is a retarded stat for measuring how muggy it feels.

Yes, true, but you've got to admit it FEELS more closer to Phoenix in SA today as opposed to some tropical hellhole like India or Thailand compared to the last 2-3 days.

Millennial_Messiah
06-16-2023, 05:43 PM
People's air is running so much today, I would be surprised if there was much humidity in people's homes. Particularly if you have your thermostat at 72 or the like.

I've had it set to 68 since March, except for when I brought in the Jon Wayne guy early last month to do the $179 tune-up with the all summer guarantee.

The last 3 days the AC was running just fine and I was still sweating like as if in a frickin' steam room on the inside. It's been running MORE today than the last couple days, though, probably because of the constant sun beating down today compared to the last few days where the muggy stratus clouds hung over and hazed us for the first half-plus of the days.

Millennial_Messiah
06-16-2023, 05:45 PM
I can't do this heat and I especially can't do heat and humidity. Ughhhhhh. I really need to move up north permanently. Somewhere with mild summers and not somewhere to get vaporized by the Yellowstone volcano or have my precious materials destroyed in an earthquake. Maybe the UP in Michigan is suitable. But there's no Costco that far north. Ugh. Maybe Traverse City?

My ideal climate is the Faroe Islands, but I don't speak Danish and I'd have to emigrate. Ugh. Falkland Islands similar but too remote and the ozone layer is thinnish down there. Not really a climate like that in the USA.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-16-2023, 05:46 PM
I've had it set to 68 since March, except for when I brought in the Jon Wayne guy early last month to do the $179 tune-up with the all summer guarantee.

The last 3 days the AC was running just fine and I was still sweating like as if in a frickin' steam room on the inside. It's been running MORE today than the last couple days, though, probably because of the constant sun beating down today compared to the last few days where the muggy stratus clouds hung over and hazed us for the first half-plus of the days.

the evaporator coil takes moisture out of the air. sounds like you are losing a charge or something akin to that. A temperature split is what it is.

Millennial_Messiah
06-16-2023, 05:48 PM
the evaporator coil takes moisture out of the air. sounds like you are losing a charge or something akin to that. A temperature split is what it is.

Nah... Today I'm much more comfortable inside. The temperature was slightly lower yesterday and the day before but the humidity was >30% higher which gave inside that awful muggy feeling that I'm not feeling today.

baseline bum
06-16-2023, 05:49 PM
I don't feel like I'm in a rotting in a sauna INDOORS WITH THE AIR CONDITIONER ON, sweating today though. Yesterday's humidity was well over 80 percent though. Now it's under 50. That makes a huge difference.

No it wasn't. 99 degrees with 80% humidity would be a dewpoint of 92 and a heat index of 153, which would both be American records.

FuzzyLumpkins
Nah... Today I'm much more comfortable inside. The temperature was slightly lower yesterday and the day before but the humidity was >30% higher which gave inside that awful muggy feeling that I'm not feeling today.

Your unit has to be running nonstop. Even 30% humidity would not take long to get remove from the air with a decent split.

baseline bum
Yes, true, but you've got to admit it FEELS more closer to Phoenix in SA today as opposed to some tropical hellhole like India or Thailand compared to the last 2-3 days.

Nope feels the same as yesterday Tomorrow maybe we get a heat index below 110.

Millennial_Messiah
06-16-2023, 05:53 PM
No it wasn't. 99 degrees with 80% humidity would be a dewpoint of 92 and a heat index of 153, which would both be American records.

Idk but that's what it felt like and that is kind of typical for late spring before monsoon season in parts of Asia and India.

baseline bum
06-16-2023, 05:54 PM
Idk but that's what it felt like and that is kind of typical for late spring before monsoon season in parts of Asia and India.

Very much doubt that when the highest dewpoint ever recorded was 95 in Saudi Arabia right off the Persian Gulf.

Millennial_Messiah
06-16-2023, 05:54 PM
Nope feels the same as yesterday Tomorrow maybe we get a heat index below 110.

hopefully, but, what I notice about the AC is that, the hotter and drier it is outside the more the AC runs. The more humid and lower actual temperature, regardless of heat index and feels like temp, the less the AC runs and the more a thermostat reading of 68 actually feels more like mid to upper 70s.

Millennial_Messiah
06-16-2023, 05:55 PM
Very much doubt that when the highest dewpoint ever recorded was 95 in Saudi Arabia right off the Persian Gulf.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/07/30/iran-city-hits-suffocating-heat-index-of-154-degrees-near-world-record/

165 degree heat index in Iran in summer 2015. I'm sure there are other examples

Millennial_Messiah
06-16-2023, 05:58 PM
Your unit has to be running nonstop. Even 30% humidity would not take long to get remove from the air with a decent split.

Unit definitely has been running more today than rest of this week.

Millennial_Messiah
06-16-2023, 05:58 PM
And just like that... it's officially 100 in my neighborhood for the first time in 2023.

Millennial_Messiah
06-16-2023, 05:59 PM
Random chance of thunderstorms at 11PM now for SA... weird.

baseline bum
06-16-2023, 06:02 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/07/30/iran-city-hits-suffocating-heat-index-of-154-degrees-near-world-record/

165 degree heat index in Iran in summer 2015. I'm sure there are other examples

Dewpoint of 92 is not typical anywhere at any time

Millennial_Messiah
06-16-2023, 07:02 PM
Dewpoint of 92 is not typical anywhere at any time

Even dew point at 80 is insufferable.

Humidity down to 40% here in SA right now though.

baseline bum
06-16-2023, 07:47 PM
Even dew point at 80 is insufferable.

Humidity down to 40% here in SA right now though.

Relative Humidity is a completely worthless number. 44% humidity at 97 degrees is still a dewpoint of 71, which is still very humid when typically (other than last nightmare summer) days around 100 you have daytime dewpoints like 61 sometimes even down to like 55 until shit clouds over at night and the dewpoint jumps to like 74.

GAustex
06-16-2023, 08:23 PM
Burnet is a thunderstorm cooled 92 right now

GAustex
06-16-2023, 09:49 PM
Glorious summertime thunderstorm

baseline bum
06-16-2023, 10:36 PM
Really? I'm pretty sure I remember in September 2011, for once, that the high temp was over 110 and the heat index was close to 120. Also happened another time when I was a smaller kid.

https://www.ksat.com/weather/

UPDATE FROM ADAM CASKEY

🌡️🥵 Not exactly the kind of record we wanted to set today - Adam
We made history today with the all-time hottest Heat Index (feels like temperature) ever recorded in San Antonio. At 3:30pm the heat index soared to 115° as a result of triple digit heat combined with unusually high humidity. By the way, data pertaining to heat index goes back to 1946 in San Antonio.

Millennial_Messiah
06-17-2023, 12:59 AM
https://www.ksat.com/weather/

UPDATE FROM ADAM CASKEY

️掠 Not exactly the kind of record we wanted to set today - Adam
We made history today with the all-time hottest Heat Index (feels like temperature) ever recorded in San Antonio. At 3:30pm the heat index soared to 115° as a result of triple digit heat combined with unusually high humidity. By the way, data pertaining to heat index goes back to 1946 in San Antonio.
Ouch.

Yeah by comparison Phoenix is getting highs just south of 110 but the relative humidity is like 10-20% tops. Big difference when your dew point is like 40 degrees.

Millennial_Messiah
06-17-2023, 12:59 AM
Glorious summertime thunderstorm

Not super common this time of year outside of the popcorn single cell sea breeze type of showers that come from the Gulf.

baseline bum
06-18-2023, 12:05 AM
Ouch.

Yeah by comparison Phoenix is getting highs just south of 110 but the relative humidity is like 10-20% tops. Big difference when your dew point is like 40 degrees.

WTF? Dew point is currently 82. I don't think I have ever seen it that high here. It's literally more humid here than Calcutta right now.

Millennial_Messiah
06-18-2023, 12:18 AM
WTF? Dew point is currently 82. I don't think I have ever seen it that high here. It's literally more humid here than Calcutta right now.

I was talking about Arizona, where the dew points stay in the 40s through most of summer except the occasional rain days in Aug-Sept.

Yeah I was outside taking out some garbage about an hour or two ago and it is absolutely disgusting out there. Literally felt like being a piece of meat in a stew. I bet it's more pleasant in South India or Bangladesh. Mumbai and Calcutta have it better... that's just a ridiculous thing to say. But it's true.

baseline bum
06-18-2023, 12:30 AM
I was talking about Arizona, where the dew points stay in the 40s through most of summer except the occasional rain days in Aug-Sept.

Yeah I was outside taking out some garbage about an hour or two ago and it is absolutely disgusting out there. Literally felt like being a piece of meat in a stew. I bet it's more pleasant in South India or Bangladesh. Mumbai and Calcutta have it better... that's just a ridiculous thing to say. But it's true.

Sorry the WTF was about how humid it is here right now. I didn't even know it was possible to see this area get that kind of humidity. I have occasionally seen it at 80 before but never any higher.

Millennial_Messiah
06-18-2023, 12:07 PM
Sorry the WTF was about how humid it is here right now. I didn't even know it was possible to see this area get that kind of humidity. I have occasionally seen it at 80 before but never any higher.

The other thing I haven't seen before is so much anomalous hot water in the tropical Atlantic (and there's already a strong African wave forecasted to be a hurricane this coming week and we're about a month and a half before traditional Cape Verde hurricane season) despite the presence of a new El Nino. That is bizarre. It's definitely a strange year.

baseline bum
06-19-2023, 02:42 AM
The other thing I haven't seen before is so much anomalous hot water in the tropical Atlantic (and there's already a strong African wave forecasted to be a hurricane this coming week and we're about a month and a half before traditional Cape Verde hurricane season) despite the presence of a new El Nino. That is bizarre. It's definitely a strange year.

Oh well not like any hurricane is penetrating this high pressure ridge we're stuck under. Shit would probably tell a Katrina size storm to go fuck off if it knocked on the door of south Texas.

Millennial_Messiah
06-19-2023, 05:34 PM
Oh well not like any hurricane is penetrating this high pressure ridge we're stuck under. Shit would probably tell a Katrina size storm to go fuck off if it knocked on the door of south Texas.

The one in August 2005 sure did, fwiw...

In September that year the Texas ridge moved a bit to the west from where it was in August, hence Rita tracking significantly further west than Katrina...

Though, I remember that September to have hotter highs than August for some reason.

Millennial_Messiah
06-19-2023, 05:34 PM
Oh and we officially have Tropical Storm Bret and another likely tropical depression right behind it. African wave train tropical storm development in June is very unusual.

baseline bum
06-19-2023, 06:38 PM
The one in August 2005 sure did, fwiw...

In September that year the Texas ridge moved a bit to the west from where it was in August, hence Rita tracking significantly further west than Katrina...

Though, I remember that September to have hotter highs than August for some reason.

Out by Randolph it's completely clouded over with a pretty dark sky for 6:30 in June so got my hopes up, but the closest rain I see on radar is way out in Junction. Same shit happened yesterday but only Kerrville got rain. Clouds have dropped ourtemp to 95 though, which feels amazing as sick as that sounds.

GAustex
06-19-2023, 06:40 PM
Late day cloud cover is welcomed any time in the summer
Rain or not

baseline bum
06-19-2023, 06:43 PM
Late day cloud cover is welcomed any time in the summer
Rain or not

Yeah dropped us to 95 which actually feels good outside right now.

GAustex
06-19-2023, 06:44 PM
See
You get used to it!

baseline bum
06-19-2023, 07:01 PM
See
You get used to it!

I wish. :lol

I'm used to like 98 with a dewpoint about 60 being an average summer day. Not 101 with a dewpoint of 77 like the other day or 104 with a dewpoint of 70 like today. :vomit:

Millennial_Messiah
06-19-2023, 07:18 PM
I wish. :lol

I'm used to like 98 with a dewpoint about 60 being an average summer day. Not 101 with a dewpoint of 77 like the other day or 104 with a dewpoint of 70 like today. :vomit:

My ideal summer day is like a high of 75 degrees and a dew point around 40. Low temperature in the 40s or 50s.

GAustex
06-19-2023, 07:39 PM
Get up in the high Rockies
Martha’s Vineyard
Something like that

Millennial_Messiah
06-19-2023, 08:02 PM
Get up in the high Rockies
Martha’s Vineyard
Something like that

The Northeast is humid AF

The rockies, interior west states... correct.

Millennial_Messiah
06-19-2023, 08:02 PM
See
You get used to it!

Still don't hate the heat any less

Millennial_Messiah
07-11-2023, 09:59 PM
Bump.....

Millennial_Messiah
07-11-2023, 10:00 PM
Jeez.....

https://i.imgur.com/2cWkWI3.jpg

Millennial_Messiah
07-11-2023, 10:05 PM
At least getting a couple free Slurpees today from 7-11 was nice. Glad they brought that back for the first time since 2019.

baseline bum
07-11-2023, 10:19 PM
Jeez.....

https://i.imgur.com/2cWkWI3.jpg

JFC that forecast almost guarantees us at least spot #4 on the list of years with most 100+ degree days recorded in San Antonio. Texas is getting absolutely buttfucked by global warming these last 15 years.

Millennial_Messiah
07-11-2023, 10:23 PM
JFC that forecast almost guarantees us at least spot #4 on the list of years with most 100+ degree days recorded in San Antonio. Texas is getting absolutely buttfucked by global warming these last 15 years.

IMO the solution is to either just do away with airconditioning or move north to the point where you don't need it so much and when it gets cold just put on blankets and jackets so you're plenty warm.

It's far easier for humanity to survive extreme cold than extreme heat, even if our robots might not agree per se

baseline bum
07-11-2023, 11:00 PM
IMO the solution is to either just do away with airconditioning or move north to the point where you don't need it so much and when it gets cold just put on blankets and jackets so you're plenty warm.

It's far easier for humanity to survive extreme cold than extreme heat, even if our robots might not agree per se

At least we're getting the Saharan dust too :lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3_Bm3ESbDY

This is such a shitshow of a summer and no way we get the cool August we had last year again.

Millennial_Messiah
07-12-2023, 12:34 AM
At least we're getting the Saharan dust too :lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3_Bm3ESbDY

This is such a shitshow of a summer and no way we get the cool August we had last year again.

Saharan dust means less humidity and more upper level dry air across the tropical and subtropical Atlantic basic water and the Gulf which means at least we won't get an Ian or Harvey type of hurricane this year.

Millennial_Messiah
07-12-2023, 12:38 AM
I didn't even know we had a cool august last year because I was in Michigan :lol

Millennial_Messiah
07-12-2023, 12:39 AM
https://www.wunderground.com/history/monthly/us/tx/san-antonio/KSAT/date/2022-8

Eh, wasn't a cool August imo, just average, and looks like the late part of the month had some rain.

Millennial_Messiah
07-12-2023, 12:44 AM
What year was it again that we didn't get any 100 degree days until like September? Was it covid year? Nah, I forgot... It was a wet year. Maybe 2021?

Let me see. Yes it appears that 2021 was the "below normal" summer. Only 1 100 degree day all year and that was September 6th.

In 2007 we didn't hit 100 all year and a lot of that was thanks to the tropical hurricane season that year. That was the year the aquifer set the all time record.

baseline bum
07-12-2023, 11:22 AM
Ugh excessive heat warnings today and tomorrow just like last month

pgardn
07-12-2023, 12:40 PM
To the pool and then lunch. Work afterwards will still be productive I hope.
Biking this evening is out. Not worth it, not getting a good workout.
Running is hugely counterproductive even though some people feel they are getting something done by sweating away their precious bodily fluids.

Millennial_Messiah
07-12-2023, 02:55 PM
Running is hugely counterproductive even though some people feel they are getting something done by sweating away their precious bodily fluids.

Yeah, I don't get it at all but I've seen joggers around the SA stroad sidewalks even in this 103-plus degree heat. Like, why? Why not go to Colorado mountains this time of year and do that? It's not safe nor healthy nor comfortable at all.

Millennial_Messiah
07-12-2023, 02:55 PM
I love hiking/jogging but it has to be like under 70

Millennial_Messiah
07-12-2023, 02:56 PM
Ugh excessive heat warnings today and tomorrow just like last month

And no rain in the forecast either. Just like last year.

High pressure ridge expected to build back east and settle on top of Texas by early next week.

baseline bum
07-12-2023, 03:19 PM
And no rain in the forecast either. Just like last year.

High pressure ridge expected to build back east and settle on top of Texas by early next week.

Always seems like it's hottest when the ridge is centered a couple hundred miles west of town.

Millennial_Messiah
07-12-2023, 03:28 PM
Always seems like it's hottest when the ridge is centered a couple hundred miles west of town.

That, and it blocks any westerly troughs from sparking up any shower activity anywhere near us

The only chance for isolated rain in these weather patterns is the very sparse sea breeze summer popcorn showers from the Gulf, but with the combination of prevailing high, heavy wind shear and Saharan dust over the area, even that seems unlikely this year as we head towards August.

pgardn
07-12-2023, 08:51 PM
Yeah, I don't get it at all but I've seen joggers around the SA stroad sidewalks even in this 103-plus degree heat. Like, why? Why not go to Colorado mountains this time of year and do that? It's not safe nor healthy nor comfortable at all.

Some people even go out in plastic body suits so they will start sweating.
I completely dont get it...?

baseline bum
07-12-2023, 09:04 PM

Swimming is pretty great exercise. Pretty much my main form of exercise when we have warm weather. Used to run but fucked my knee up hiking years ago and running is a pain now.

Millennial_Messiah
07-12-2023, 09:08 PM
Some people even go out in plastic body suits so they will start sweating.
I completely dont get it...?
I haven't seen those, but I've seen a handful still wearing a fucking covid mask three years after it went out of style... and OUTSIDE, in the 100+ degree, 110+ index heat.

If that's not a sheeple then I don't know what is

Millennial_Messiah
07-12-2023, 09:09 PM
Swimming is pretty great exercise. Pretty much my main form of exercise when we have warm weather. Used to run but fucked my knee up hiking years ago and running is a pain now.

I'm a lousy swimmer but just being in the pool is comfortable and pretty much the only thing to do outdoors in this oppressive heat.

pgardn
07-12-2023, 09:44 PM

In the long "run", running is probably just to much pounding on the skeletal system.
But I gotta say the after effects following a good run are really good for me. I can laser focus after running, its like things at work become so clear that I ponder why I had not seen it in the first place. Its like some eastern Zen shit but Im perfectly awake and thinking.

I have learned to really like swimming even though im not that good. I love the laps. I love trying to get into a good cadence. I watch other people who obviously learned very young and on swim teams and is just amazing. I will never get there, its fun trying

Millennial_Messiah
07-13-2023, 12:20 AM
In the long "run", running is probably just to much pounding on the skeletal system.
But I gotta say the after effects following a good run are really good for me. I can laser focus after running, its like things at work become so clear that I ponder why I had not seen it in the first place. Its like some eastern Zen shit but Im perfectly awake and thinking.

I was the same way in high school. Loved my PE classes and running be it in the form of just running, basketball, football, pacer tests, hell I loved it all. The only downside was that I stank the rest of the day, but I wasn't out to get girls in high school anyway. I was out to get grades and get a full ride to college. I definitely attribute my voluntarily taking extra PE classes in high school, especially early on in the school day (except for freshman and senior year), to higher performance on exams.

Millennial_Messiah
07-13-2023, 12:21 AM
And yes, too much running, including marathon running, has a negative effect on your kidneys and joints. Law of diminished returns. Running to an extent is healthy but you can over do it. Can't really over do hiking and light jogging.

I did the full 26.2 in Michigan last October and peed blood at the YMCA after finishing

leemajors
07-13-2023, 09:34 AM

I have learned to really like swimming even though im not that good. I love the laps. I love trying to get into a good cadence. I watch other people who obviously learned very young and on swim teams and is just amazing. I will never get there, its fun trying

I think if you have good shoes and stretch properly you should be fine. However, your hammies can get shortened, leading to glues getting weak without proper stretching and lead to all sorts of issues - bad posture, back pain, fucked up knees etc

Xevious
07-13-2023, 11:23 AM
I probably say the same shit every year, but the one good thing about this heat is that I can stop mowing the lawn. The grass turns a nice shade of crunchy yellow and stops growing. Pretty much the only time you can comfortably mow in this weather is 6am anyway. My neighbor across the street still hand waters every evening and mows at least once a week. That's fucking nuts, especially since we all have 1/2 - 1 acre lots and an HOA that doesn't give a a shit.

Millennial_Messiah
07-13-2023, 02:53 PM
I probably say the same shit every year, but the one good thing about this heat is that I can stop mowing the lawn. The grass turns a nice shade of crunchy yellow and stops growing. Pretty much the only time you can comfortably mow in this weather is 6am anyway. My neighbor across the street still hand waters every evening and mows at least once a week. That's fucking nuts, especially since we all have 1/2 - 1 acre lots and an HOA that doesn't give a a shit.

Agreed. This year was an expensive spring for that shit, though, especially since the Molina Mexican family from down the street with the dude with the gang tats who used to mow the lawn for cheap all moved back to Mexico. Now we gotta pay this white guy $40 per time to do it every few weeks. He hasn't come by since early June, though, since the grass hasn't needed it.

Years like last year and 2011 are appreciated where you can literally get by the whole year with like 1-2 lawn mowings

Also, fuck HOA's.

pgardn
07-13-2023, 09:03 PM
I think if you have good shoes and stretch properly you should be fine. However, your hammies can get shortened, leading to glues getting weak without proper stretching and lead to all sorts of issues - bad posture, back pain, fucked up knees etc

I have some hip issues from running straight ahead too much. They go away with stretching. I just rush it too much. Especially if the weather is nice I want to get out immediately so it fits the day. Im probably getting a bit too much dopamine or whatever. Exercise is producing my drugs of choice possibly. Definitely frustration during the summers like this. The choices narrow and Im spoiled on an array of exercise. I just have to cut some things out. But I dont like it.

Millennial_Messiah
07-13-2023, 10:03 PM
I have some hip issues from running straight ahead too much. They go away with stretching. I just rush it too much. Especially if the weather is nice I want to get out immediately so it fits the day. Im probably getting a bit too much dopamine or whatever. Exercise is producing my drugs of choice possibly. Definitely frustration during the summers like this. The choices narrow and Im spoiled on an array of exercise. I just have to cut some things out. But I dont like it.

drive to colorado?

pgardn
07-14-2023, 05:38 PM
drive to colorado?

Sure. And it would be a flight. I have done that three times this year. Its to help get my friends house finished. But we always get exercise in. But I got to schedule it so it fits the calendar. I have been spoiled on just getting to go outside and run, bike, swim, fish, whatever without leaving for days. But I do come back from Colorado in good shape. Just a week or so at altitude and I can tell my running fitness goes up. But Im not running in this current shitstorm of heat here.

Millennial_Messiah
07-14-2023, 05:41 PM
Sure. And it would be a flight. I have done that three times this year. Its to help get my friends house finished. But we always get exercise in. But I got to schedule it so it fits the calendar. I have been spoiled on just getting to go outside and run, bike, swim, fish, whatever without leaving for days. But I do come back from Colorado in good shape. Just a week or so at altitude and I can tell my running fitness goes up. But Im not running in this current shitstorm of heat here.
Flying there is where your lungs hurt for a while IMO, while when you drive you don't feel pain because your body gradually automatically naturally acclimates instead of the sudden shock

Millennial_Messiah
07-16-2023, 02:02 PM
shit, sleeping in until nearly 2PM compared to last year when I was up north and typically waking up at a normal time, 6AM-8AM daily. It's definitely this heat and living a lethargic indoor computer, TV, and food life. It's just boring because there's nothing to do this time of year in SA in this baking heat.

baseline bum
07-16-2023, 02:14 PM
shit, sleeping in until nearly 2PM compared to last year when I was up north and typically waking up at a normal time, 6AM-8AM daily. It's definitely this heat and living a lethargic indoor computer, TV, and food life. It's just boring because there's nothing to do this time of year in SA in this baking heat.

Get used to it, got another fucking week around 104-105 forecast. This summer is going to end up roughly equivalent to last, isn't it? Last year we didn't obliterate the record for most 100 degree days only because August and September got cool. But with this heat wave we're in right now we'll probably finish July with ~35 days of 100+ (we get to day 22 today). Add in 3 weeks of August and a few 100 degree days in the first half of September and we'd break the all time record. Doesn't sound so strange with these 3 week long heat domes we're getting.

Millennial_Messiah
07-16-2023, 02:23 PM
Get used to it, got another fucking week around 104-105 forecast. This summer is going to end up roughly equivalent to last, isn't it? Last year we didn't obliterate the record for most 100 degree days only because August and September got cool. But with this heat wave we're in right now we'll probably finish July with ~35 days of 100+ (we get to day 22 today). Add in 3 weeks of August and a few 100 degree days in the first half of September and we'd break the all time record. Doesn't sound so strange with these 3 week long heat domes we're getting.
yeah, what happened to El Nino? seriously.

Millennial_Messiah
07-16-2023, 04:58 PM
Nope

https://i.ibb.co/MZhvN7J/LA.png

That's LAX though. It's naturally biased downward because it's next to the coast.

I was talking about inner parts of LA like the San Fernando Valley, you know, where the people that aren't millionaires and billionaires live.