PDA

View Full Version : Rethinking Olowakandi...

CosmicCowboyXXX
04-18-2003, 11:51 AM
I know that I am gonna get smacked around for this but I am gradually changing my mind on Kandiman if JO'Neal doesn't make the jump...

Because of the dysfunctional Clipper results this year his value has dropped through the floor...he might even go for slightly over the MLE this summer...

at THAT price I think the Spurs should jump all over him...

his numbers this year are:

12.3 ppg
9.10 rpg
1.3 apg

his scoring is low but in the Clipper offense he took less than 12 shots per game.

I think he is the kind of player that could really benefit from the Spurs work ethic and coaching and could make a valuable contribution to our front court rotation.

OK...*covering up*...take your best shot!...:lol

Ghost Writer
04-18-2003, 12:05 PM
There is nothing to be afraid of, my son. CosmicCosboy is coming to the realization that Olowokandi will be available to the Spurs for signifigantly less than the max this summer, a theory I was pushing for when all of us were welcome to post at a "different place".

:cooldevil

MI21
04-18-2003, 12:18 PM
He's better than Nesterovic, who many people, for some reason, think is a good player.

SAmikeyp
04-18-2003, 12:21 PM
I agree with the etheral one. Kandi was never worth the max. I would not mind him at the MLE.

pfc2002
04-18-2003, 12:31 PM
Kandi sucks ass. Watch the games closely and you'll see that opposing teams run plays against Kandi and he lopes up the floor on D and Offense. TD goes crazy against him, for god sakes Miami runs iso's with Grant at him... This isn't even taking account his attitude

nba is moving from immobile centers making a team.. H3ll no on Kandi... Rasho is a much better player than Kandi.

there 1 head to head this year:
twolves win
Rasho 12 pts 10 boards (2 offensive) 1 blk
Kandi 4 pts 7 boards (all Defensive) 2 blks

MI21
04-18-2003, 12:33 PM
Can't judge players by one game.

pfc2002
04-18-2003, 12:35 PM
of course not what's your point?

He's better than Nesterovic, who many people, for some reason, think is a good player.
you live in australia... how many times have you seen Rasho play? how about Kandi?

spurster
04-18-2003, 01:42 PM
Statisically, Kandi and Rasho are even. Rasho's nba.com efficiency is 14.79, while Kandi's is 14.69. DRob's is 14.22 as a comparison. I'd say that's worth about MLE money.

baseline bum
04-18-2003, 01:54 PM
**** Kandi. I've watched the guy closely since he came into the league and he's never struck me as anything but a cancer with no work ethic. 43% shooting is pathetic when all your shots come from 5 feet and in. Imagine Shaq except with almost 60% of his shit getting rim-checked. KanndiAss isn't a good offensive threat, he's not a good defender, he's not a good rebounder, he doesn't hustle, he doesn't care - I can't see what the upside to signing this guy is. Even Bill Walton, who worships everyone taller that 7 feet on the face of the earth, hates Olowokandi with a passion.

pfc2002
04-18-2003, 01:55 PM
of course one's on a team that's going to the playoffs and the other with a bunch of underachievers (even when he was playing). ALSO one has a rep as a selfish player the other a team player.

Hawk
04-18-2003, 01:56 PM
Hell no. The Spurs didn't wait 5 yrs to throw it away on Kandiass. If anything doesn't happen with Kidd or Oneal it would be best to get Malone and Payton for 2 yrs. These two guys would make the team better. Kandiass would just fill a hole in the middle nothing else.

timvp
04-18-2003, 02:15 PM
I think that Olowokandi should be and will be in the equation. His work ethic and focus sucks on the Clippers .... but they're the Clippers.

Kandi has dominated the Spurs in a couple of games. That shows me that the talent is there and that when he tries, he can play well.

Maybe if he had structure and FORCED focus ... maybe he could play well consistently.

He isn't one of my first choices, but for around $6M per the Spurs would be dumb to discount him at this point.

baseline bum
04-18-2003, 02:17 PM
If I'm going to take a chance on an unproven Clipper I'd much rather it be a young guy with lots of potential like Odom.

timvp
04-18-2003, 02:21 PM
I agree that the Spurs should go after Odom before Kandi. But if Kandi is still available and the Spurs are still looking, I think they have to consider getting him for a reduced price.

Ghost Writer
04-18-2003, 04:31 PM
Rasho is a much better player than Kandi. — pfc
Wow! That's two dumb things in one day. Is pfc working on a record or something?

I love Odom, but he's not strong enough to be a PF, I don't think. Plus, he likes to :hat .

pfc2002
04-18-2003, 04:39 PM
you want to bet that Rasho get's mroe money than Kandi next year? or is that too subjective as to who the best player is??

:blah writer

MI21
04-18-2003, 05:20 PM
you live in australia... how many times have you seen Rasho play? how about Kandi?

Going over my tape collection for this season, I have 11 Minneota games and 9 Clippers games.

baseline bum
04-18-2003, 08:29 PM
Casper, I'm surprised you're so quick to dismiss Odom when you've been preaching about moving Bruce to the bench all season. SF is the only real need for the Spurs. Malik has shown he can handle the 4 fine, and Duncan's right in the mix for the MVP playing the 5 on offense. Paying big money just for size gets you Jerome Jamesed, Calvin Boothed, or Jahidi Whited. No way the Spurs should pay big money just for someone 7 feet and then end up spending the next 6 years trying to move that contract.

Archie
04-18-2003, 10:21 PM
For the right price Olowokandi will be ok. I'd prefer to see the Spurs sign a real impact player (Kidd or Payton) this summer. But if not then Olowokandi will be...ok. They should have enough cap room left over to add another significant free agent as well.

timvp
04-18-2003, 11:09 PM
Olowokandi still has potential. Being on the Clippers, he hasn't even really begun his NBA career:wink

But with that being said, give me Odom before Olowo.

Ghost Writer
04-21-2003, 11:07 AM
I am high (pardon the expression) on Odom. I just don't think the Spurs will gamble on him because of the two :hat violations he already has.

Olowokandi > Nesterovic

It only helps the Spurs that 'Kandi's stock is so devalued. We can get him much cheaper than many of you anticipated.

Patrick Davis
04-21-2003, 11:40 AM
I love Odom's game and would much perfer to see him over Kandi, but if Kandi came cheap I would get him, But I think Kandi will go simply for money and may end up in Denver.