PDA

View Full Version : Mark Williams - 2022 NBA Draft Prospect

timvp
05-18-2022, 07:14 PM
Details on rumor of Mark Williams being targeted by Spurs at the ninth pick (https://www.spurstalk.com/mock-draft-1-0-who-will-the-spurs-draft-in-the-2022-nba-draft/)

https://i.imgur.com/hRc1Qvs.jpg
Mark Williams
School: Duke
Height w/ Shoes: 7-foot-2
Height w/o Shoes: 7-feet
Wingspan: 7-foot-6.5
Position: C

Strengths
+Dunks everything
+Catches everything
+Rim protection

Weaknesses
-Shooting
-Passing
-Defensive mobility

Details on rumor of Mark Williams being targeted by Spurs at the ninth pick (https://www.spurstalk.com/mock-draft-1-0-who-will-the-spurs-draft-in-the-2022-nba-draft/)

R. DeMurre
05-18-2022, 07:33 PM
The Love Song of Mark Williams
by Timvp

Williams is a 7-foot center out of Duke
with a reported 7-foot-7 wingspan.
He’s not a shooter or passer
but he’s an elite finisher at the rim.

He has great hands and dunks everything
(he led the nation in dunks, in fact).

Williams scores extremely high
with regard to his character,
comes from a strong family

(his dad is a gastroenterologist,
his sister is in the WNBA)

and plays a focused brand of basketball.

I think Williams at nine is a bit of a stretch
(he was 22 on my latest Spurs Big Board (https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-big-board-san-antonio-spurs-2022-nba-draft/))
but he’d be a fine pick at 20.

slick'81
05-18-2022, 07:34 PM
Is he better then duren for a true c?

Chinook
05-18-2022, 07:36 PM
That he's a giant is certainly interesting. I don't mind him taken for depth, but he'd be a weird pick at 9. I want the team to take a center with one of their four picks, but unless they see a top-10 center in his future, I can't imagine it feeling like good value to take him.

Now if they trade Poeltl to Chicago or Charlotte on the other hand, they might have an extra pick to take him. That could make sense. I don't want them to trade Poeltl, but you could see it working out.

mookie2001
05-18-2022, 07:51 PM
This one doesn't have his scouting report.

rascal
05-18-2022, 07:53 PM
That he's a giant is certainly interesting. I don't mind him taken for depth, but he'd be a weird pick at 9. I want the team to take a center with one of their four picks, but unless they see a top-10 center in his future, I can't imagine it feeling like good value to take him.

Now if they trade Poeltl to Chicago or Charlotte on the other hand, they might have an extra pick to take him. That could make sense. I don't want them to trade Poeltl, but you could see it working out.

You take him if Duren is off the board( But prefer Duren as he has more upside) and a trade with Charlotte is in the works for Poeltl. Then the Spurs add another targeted player at 13.

Degoat
05-18-2022, 08:02 PM
I’ve warmed up to the idea of him at 9 tbh not saying that’s who I want but it all depends on if the spurs have a plan for the draft or just plan to draft the best player available at each pick

Joseph Kony
05-18-2022, 08:25 PM
I like this kid if he's there at 9. Spurs should sell high on Poeltl before he needs to be re-signed, imo

Ocotillo
05-18-2022, 08:30 PM
What does the 9th pick in the draft get paid? Just curious as to how that matches up with Jak's current deal.

south side spur
05-18-2022, 09:15 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5CkVpaxtE8

offset formation
05-18-2022, 09:28 PM
Would much rather have Cock burn after all is said and done at 25 or 38 than Williams. We should be drafting a center, but not reaching for one at 20. There are other good talents available that dont have the atrocious descriptors this guy has. Shame on Patfo if they take this dude that high.

From LJ's article, "...(Williams) is not a shooter or passerbut he’s an elite finisher at the rim."

Why on earth would the Spurs waste a mid first round pick on a center like that? We already have a center like that with MUCH better defensive skills.

Cockburn has some of the sweetest feet in this draft for an old school center and can score old school, at times rather easily. Thats what we need. Not Poeltl 1.5

rascal
05-18-2022, 09:35 PM
I like this kid if he's there at 9. Spurs should sell high on Poeltl before he needs to be re-signed, imo

Agree, need to move Poeltl on draft night in a draft package with one of the later picks as his value will be higher on draft night than later because teams will acquire centers on draft night that are in need. Poeltl's value will drop after draft night.

You won't get back as much in return(draft capital that is where the value will be for Poeltl) the longer you hold onto Poeltl and the Spurs can structure their draft(grabbing a center) knowing Poeltl won't be on the team.

PhantomDashCam
05-18-2022, 09:42 PM
Would much rather have Cock burn after all is said and done at 25 or 38 than Williams. We should be drafting a center, but not reaching for one at 20. There are other good talents available that dont have the atrocious descriptors this guy has. Shame on Patfo if they take this dude that high.

From LJ's article, "...(Williams) is not a shooter or passerbut he’s an elite finisher at the rim."

Why on earth would the Spurs waste a mid first round pick on a center like that? We already have a center like that with MUCH better defensive skills.

Cockburn has some of the sweetest feet in this draft for an old school center and can score old school, at times rather easily. Thats what we need. Not Poeltl 1.5

FWIW...

He's always seemed a little Roy Hibbert-y to me but you can best believe if the Spurs take him at #9 it's because of the character and traits Schmitz mentions in his video.

offset formation
05-18-2022, 11:06 PM
FWIW...

He's always seemed a little Roy Hibbert-y to me but you can best believe if the Spurs take him at #9 it's because of the character and traits Schmitz mentions in his video.

He scares me that we reach for a young kid again with potential like we did last year. Spurs cant afford potential with that high a draft pick. They need as close to a lock as possible for the respective draft position. I dont take him before 25, thanks in part to Primo's underwhelming play this year. Got to get some goods beyond being, "intrigued by his shooting touch" that never really showed itself in games with any consistency whatsoever outside the paint.

daslicer
05-18-2022, 11:58 PM

https://i.imgur.com/hRc1Qvs.jpg
Mark Williams
School: Duke
Height w/ Shoes: 7-feet
Height w/o Shoes: 7-foot-2
Wingspan: 7-foot-6.5
Position: C

Strengths
+Dunks everything
+Catches everything
+Rim protection

Weaknesses
-Shooting
-Passing
-Defensive mobility

You list him at 7'2 without shoes but with shoes he's 7ft. I'm assuming you made an error meant the opposite.

Gibbz
05-18-2022, 11:59 PM
There's a better chance the Spurs take me at #9 than Mark Williams lasts to pick #20.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-19-2022, 12:51 AM
Spurs rarely draft centers out of college, so it's difficult to have an idea of what they value, but I'd assume his inability to be a switchable defender would prevent them from taking him at 9. At 20 sure, roll the dice, however after the combine he won't last until then.

timvp
05-19-2022, 01:05 AM
You list him at 7'2 without shoes but with shoes he's 7ft. I'm assuming you made an error meant the opposite.

Good catch. Thanks.

timvp
05-19-2022, 01:08 AM
Spurs rarely draft centers out of college, so it's difficult to have an idea of what they value, but I'd assume his inability to be a switchable defender would prevent them from taking him at 9. At 20 sure, roll the dice, however after the combine he won't last until then.

His measurements pretty much made him a top 15 lock. Longer than Gobert with good hands, coordination and a reliable motor? Yeah, that's a lottery pick. If the Spurs want him, it'd have to be at 9 now. But, like you said, I'm not sure he's a fit for what the Spurs want.

Ice009
05-19-2022, 01:50 AM
Do you guys think the Spurs really are seriously considering him at number 9?

John B
05-19-2022, 02:33 AM
I rather the Spurs address the go-to scorer first, Keegan, Mathurin, Sharpe. I’d be okay if they trade 20 and 25 to get Williams at 15th, but they have to deal Poeltl and maybe get a pick in return to get Jovic at PF. And yes ideally I would just use the 38th pick for Cockburn or a project big.

RC_Drunkford
05-19-2022, 07:49 AM
hard pass for me. His only real plus is his size. Other than that there are huge questionmarks. I wouldn't want him nowhere near #9

couchman
05-19-2022, 08:35 AM
Errbody on this Duke team getting drafted and they somehow didn’t win it all!!
I like Williams but the 9th pick feels like a reach for him.
We do need size though. It is our number one team need imo, quickly followed by needing a go-to scorer.
The only obvious go-to scorers in the draft are Banchero and Ivey and maybe Murray, who will be gone at 9, so do we roll the dice on “potential” or do we go for a big that we like? Hmmmm

The Truth #6
05-19-2022, 09:12 AM
Hopefully this Williams rumor is just a smokescreen. Having said that, the Spurs seem to fall in love with a player and then get overly nervous that someone else will grab him. If they draft him, I have to assume there is a trade involving Yak that brings back a starting forward. But I wonder how much Williams would play his first year anyway. The Spurs almost never draft someone expecting them to contribute immediately.

rascal
05-19-2022, 09:34 AM
Hopefully this Williams rumor is just a smokescreen. Having said that, the Spurs seem to fall in love with a player and then get overly nervous that someone else will grab him. If they draft him, I have to assume there is a trade involving Yak that brings back a starting forward. But I wonder how much Williams would play his first year anyway. The Spurs almost never draft someone expecting them to contribute immediately.

If they trade Yak, Williams will be playing.

TD 21
05-19-2022, 09:37 AM
So it went from "could be" and "if" to something seemingly more concrete in the blink of an eye.

Given their longstanding aversion to 4.5's to the point where they've literally built a roster with a fringe player as the only legitimate 4, I suspect they're not all that interested in Washington Jr. and the like.

It's probably a longshot, but if they're not enamored with the options at 9, they might pursue something like this . . .

To Hornets: Poeltl, 25
To Pistons: Washington Jr., Jones, 9
To Spurs: Grant, 15

RC_Drunkford
05-19-2022, 09:40 AM
So it went from "could be" and "if" to something seemingly more concrete in the blink of an eye.

Given their longstanding aversion to 4.5's to the point where they've literally built a roster with a fringe player as the only legitimate 4, I suspect they're not all that interested in Washington Jr. and the like.

It's probably a longshot, but if they're not enamored with the options at 9, they might pursue something like this . . .

:lmao trading for Grant doesn't make sense, he's on an expiring deal looking for a raise

TD 21
05-19-2022, 09:42 AM
:lmao trading for Grant doesn't make sense, he's on an expiring deal

So? He's not about being a role player on a contender or in a glamour market. He's about being a pseudo star. As long as they pay top dollar (and by making this trade, why wouldn't they?), he'd more than likely not be going anywhere.

I'm not crazy about it, but he'd be a good fit, is only a year older than Poeltl and would allow them to have their cake and eat it too, with respect to having 15, 20 and 38.

The Truth #6
05-19-2022, 10:03 AM
If they trade Yak, Williams will be playing.

Playing yes, because he'd be competing with Jock Landale, who is a bit player. But starting day one, which is what I was referring to, I have doubts about that. Regardless, drafting Williams is punting so to speak with the assumption that they are still in a longterm rebuild, but they would be fortifying their interior defense, at least.

The Truth #6
05-19-2022, 10:07 AM
Because I reserve the right to waffle on all these players, here's a good breakdown of Williams' game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuT0sNv63Dc

Check out around 3:45 when he's defending in space, (*sipping Kool-Aid*), his defense against guards shows more promise then I read elsewhere.

Finally, I would think the Yak haters would love a player like Williams. He dunks often and with ferocity. Seems like a Clint Capella type player, but a better shot blocker, if I had to guess. And Williams' shot looks fundamentally ok, so I could see him eventually being able to hit top of the key jumpers out of a PnR. Still don't love this pick, but it would have to be involved with a larger trade involving Yak (and maybe someone else?), so in fairness it would have to be seen in the larger context, which we of course don't have yet.

John B
05-19-2022, 10:07 AM

I like this if they can pull this off. And somehow sign LaVine, Spurs are contending :hungry:

And draft Jovic at 20, Cockburn at 38.

duncan2150
05-19-2022, 10:09 AM
Will be strange to go for Williams at 9 but maybe it depends on others player avaibility.

I advocate since a few years for rim protection, rebounds ... and i think it's a must need for the spurs, williams will give you that immediatly and for years. Still think the Spurs will not go at him at 9.

The Truth #6
05-19-2022, 10:38 AM
I suppose there's a chance the Spurs draft him to trade him to Charlotte in part of pre-arranged deal. But not sure what that would do us. I could see Williams being awesome with Lamelo Ball. #spitballing

Cardinal
05-19-2022, 11:18 AM
I get the Williams pick if it's part of a larger effort to trade Poeltl and reset the clock on the center position. If the Spurs move Yak and pick Williams, I've gotta think they see some more promise for Williams on the offensive end. It would be nice to have a center who can reliably hit free throws and go to the rim with force. At this point in his career, I don't see much more significant growth from Poeltl offensively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5CkVpaxtE8&t=406s

This is a good interview/tape analysis. Williams' personality and intellect seem to be in the mold of the players the Spurs like to pick.

slick'81
05-19-2022, 11:19 AM
No poodle power in '22/23:cry

Dejounte
05-19-2022, 11:53 AM
I can get behind Poeltl for the 15th. Jalen Williams at 9 and Mark Will at 15. Gives the Spurs much needed length.

R. DeMurre
05-19-2022, 12:23 PM

I'm not advocating for this scenario, but I can understand the line of thinking. It accomplishes a few things:

1. Williams becomes the center of the future on a rookie scale contract, and the Spurs avoid what they might view as overpaying Poeltl.
2. The Spurs get a PF via trade, currently their biggest position of need.
3. Playing next year without Poeltl amounts to low key tanking, & maybe a shot at Wembanyama in '24.

The one thing I do like about Williams is his lankiness, with the hope that he wouldn't be lead footed if he had to occasionally defend the perimeter. He's taller and longer than Walker Kessler, with bigger hands, but is 14 lbs lighter. If Wright & RC view him as Rudy Gobert with better hands and a better assist%, I suppose I can see the appeal. In a strange way, I feel like part of the current FO's identity is to do the unexpected. They tried to buck the 3pt trend by being a mid range team for a few years, and then picked Primo last year to nearly everyone's surprise, so it wouldn't shock me if, in the era where so many say the traditional center position is becoming obsolete, the Spurs decide to try and bring it back to prominence.

The Truth #6
05-19-2022, 01:09 PM
I'm not advocating for this scenario, but I can understand the line of thinking. It accomplishes a few things:

1. Williams becomes the center of the future on a rookie scale contract, and the Spurs avoid what they might view as overpaying Poeltl.
2. The Spurs get a PF via trade, currently their biggest position of need.
3. Playing next year without Poeltl amounts to low key tanking, & maybe a shot at Wembanyama in '24.

The one thing I do like about Williams is his lankiness, with the hope that he wouldn't be lead footed if he had to occasionally defend the perimeter. He's taller and longer than Walker Kessler, with bigger hands, but is 14 lbs lighter. If Wright & RC view him as Rudy Gobert with better hands and a better assist%, I suppose I can see the appeal. In a strange way, I feel like part of the current FO's identity is to do the unexpected. They tried to buck the 3pt trend by being a mid range team for a few years, and then picked Primo last year to nearly everyone's surprise, so it wouldn't shock me if, in the era where so many say the traditional center position is becoming obsolete, the Spurs decide to try and bring it back to prominence.

Yes, I agree with all of that assessment. I still think someone who can create their own shot and isn't horrible on defense is what I see as the needed target and so I've leaned towards, I guess, an idea Dejounte had of considering Jalen Williams from Santa Clara at 9 and then trading Yak in the hopes to get Williams a few spots later. That could potentially net two eventual starters.

But back to your point, yeah, if the Spurs go with Williams as their expected new center and commit to a more gradual rebuild with another lottery pick next year, that has logic to it. But I don't know if we will have a worse record next year, and so there's a chance we actually get into the playoffs. Not a great chance, but the team is not going to tank for a high pick, so it's difficult to assess in the longterm for me.

TD 21
05-19-2022, 03:52 PM
I like this if they can pull this off. And somehow sign LaVine, Spurs are contending :hungry:

And draft Jovic at 20, Cockburn at 38.

A LaVine, Murray, Grant "big 3" isn't contending for a championship, but then they've given no indication of that being the goal here.

They seem to be aiming for a treadmill team with upward mobility, so this would align with that.

John B
05-19-2022, 04:15 PM
A LaVine, Murray, Grant "big 3" isn't contending for a championship, but then they've given no indication of that being the goal here.

They seem to be aiming for a treadmill team with upward mobility, so this would align with that.

I think it’s easier to tweak the line-up and attract possible FA’s once that “big three” core is set.

CGD
05-19-2022, 08:19 PM
I like him a lot but he’s a Mega reach at 9, and won’t last past CHA before we pick again

rascal
05-20-2022, 12:51 AM
I like him a lot but he’s a Mega reach at 9, and won’t last past CHA before we pick again

That's why you trade Poeltl to Charlotte(only if Duren is off the board) and draft him at 9 and then get Charlotte's 13.

Thomas82
05-20-2022, 04:25 PM
No thank you!! Stay away from these Duke players.

rascal
05-20-2022, 04:29 PM
No thank you!! Stay away from these Duke players.

Agree Duke players seem overrated.

That's why I have Branchero behind both Sharpe and Ivey.

Sharpe, Smith and Ivey top three.

Thomas82
05-20-2022, 06:00 PM
Agree Duke players seem overrated.

That's why I have Branchero behind both Sharpe and Ivey.

Sharpe, Smith and Ivey top three.

Not only overrated, but they seem to have bad luck in the NBA. To me, Duke basketball players in the NBA are the equivalent of Penn State running backs in the NFL.

Drom John
05-23-2022, 10:59 AM
Duke Spurs:
Gene Banks, Johnny Dawkins, Danny Ferry, Tre Jones, Cherokee Parks,

rjv
05-23-2022, 11:06 AM
Duke Spurs:

banks was the only consistent one. dawkins was a bust, ferry was on the way out but did hit a few big shots in the playoff run towards the title. parks was a superlative meh and we'll see what becomes of tre.

Ocotillo
05-23-2022, 11:47 AM
Duke Spurs:

I don't think he ever suited up for SA but Chris Carrawell was a 2nd round pick out of Duke.

ace3g
06-18-2022, 10:45 AM
https://twitter.com/ChaseHughesNBCS/status/1538177693556023297

Mr. Body
06-18-2022, 11:19 AM

That's a guy who knows his range.

Ariel
06-18-2022, 11:23 AM
So an unreported visit to the Spurs also. Makes more sense.

BatManu20
06-19-2022, 11:22 AM
Another guy whose voice sounds nothing like I pictured. Similar to Timmy.

He’s gonna be the pick isn’t he :lol

BatManu20
06-19-2022, 11:36 AM
I don’t think Spurs will take Williams at nine, but I definitely think they’re going to try to move 20 and 25 to either Charlotte or Cleveland and potentially target Williams there.

Mr. Body
06-19-2022, 11:38 AM
I am totally prepared for M Williams at 9 and then one or two projects like Christie.

rascal
06-19-2022, 11:39 AM
Playing yes, because he'd be competing with Jock Landale, who is a bit player. But starting day one, which is what I was referring to, I have doubts about that. Regardless, drafting Williams is punting so to speak with the assumption that they are still in a longterm rebuild, but they would be fortifying their interior defense, at least.

They are in a long term rebuild. Don't see any quick turnaround for the spurs this year.

RC_Drunkford
06-19-2022, 12:11 PM
between him and Duren who do y'all think is the better player?

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-19-2022, 12:30 PM

Right now Williams is the better player, however, Duren has more theoretical upside - mainly due to his passing and the potential for defensive switchability down the line, which is probably unlikely. Doubt either ends up as any sort of a jump shooter.

If both become typical rim running bigs then Williams would probably be a little better because of his size, but there's always that tantalizing talent upside that makes teams usually draft Durens over Williamses.

Russ
06-19-2022, 12:31 PM

Duren.

pad300
06-19-2022, 02:38 PM

I'd take Williams on that.

For the worst case (barring injury of course), assume no development for either: Williams is a 2nd or 3ed C in the NBA right now. Duren (now), is either a 3ed C or in Europe.

Middle case: Williams is Gobert -- on defense, and Gobert + on offense. Duren is a budget version of Dwight Howard.

Best Case: Williams is Gobert (maybe even Gobert +) on defense, and Gobert ++ on offense. Duren is some hybrid of Dwight and Bam.

You take Williams in 2 of 3 cases, and even at the best case, it's really close...

When I look at Williams I see a guy with Gobert size, Gobert (maybe better) athleticism, with defensive instincts, and who (according to all reports) is coachable. He's gonna be useful as a defender. On offense, he just posted a season that he shot .727 FT%, which is better than any season Gobert has ever produced (this suggests he has much more chance of having a jump shot; not neccesarily 3 pt range, but a jumper.) Mark posted at 1.4/1.4 A/TO (per 36); Gobert has beaten that in 1 NBA season 2.2/1.8 in 18/19, his 6th NBA season, and had a 0.6:2.3 ratio when drafted (Mark show more vision and passing ability). I think Mark is more aggressive off the P&R. For these 3 reasons, I think Mark will be better offensively than Gobert is.

Duren has to develop a bunch just to catch up with Mark today...

duncan2150
06-19-2022, 02:46 PM

Duren.

More possibilities with Duren, Williams is a Gobert type of guy while Duren is more a Center who can pass, defends the perimeter better and showed some sign of shooting.

PrimeMinister
06-19-2022, 02:47 PM

williams by far. really nice improvement in his touch and hands from his freshman to sophomore year. improved from 53% at the line to 72%. huge defensive upside with his length and timing. Duren has the flashier highlight plays, and even factoring in his youth I don't see him having the well rounded game that williams does.

Dejounte
06-19-2022, 02:53 PM
Right now, Duren is a low impact pogo defensive center a la former Spur Dedmon. He’s got poor fundamentals on either end and that’s something you don’t learn easily. Basically, he’s Eubanks from last year but he’s a fresh face so people don’t see it that way.

M Will on the other hand can start for a lot of teams right now.

duncan2150
06-19-2022, 02:56 PM
Right now, Duren is a low impact pogo defensive center a la former Spur Dedmon. He’s got poor fundamentals on either end and that’s something you don’t learn easily. Basically, he’s Eubanks from last year but he’s a fresh face so people don’t see it that way.

M Will on the other hand can start for a lot of teams right now.

Will be interesting to look at that in a few years.... Saying Duren is Dedmon or Eubanks is pretty laughable imo. Will see maybe you're right, maybe not but you really too low on Duren.

TD 21
06-19-2022, 03:20 PM
Duren might have the higher upside, but we're talking a similar, sub offensive star archetype, so I'd prefer Williams for two reasons: 1) He's likely an immediate rotation caliber player and a possible starter as soon as during his rookie season and 2) He's projected to go in the early-mid teens, a range the Spurs can probably trade into.

Even though shot creation can probably be had in that same range, they get their pick of the litter (of projected available options) at 9.

RC_Drunkford
06-19-2022, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I can see the Spurs drafting Sochan at 9 and then trade up into the mid teens to draft Mark Williams. That seems like the most likely scenario to me

Dejounte
06-19-2022, 03:38 PM
Will be interesting to look at that in a few years.... Saying Duren is Dedmon or Eubanks is pretty laughable imo. Will see maybe you're right, maybe not but you really too low on Duren.

Dedmon has been in the league for eight seasons. That’s too low? Maybe you’re too high. I’m not not giving him a chance. He could develop well enough to exceed expectations, but it’s unlikely.

Dejounte
06-19-2022, 03:41 PM
Someone please name the last low-skill, athleticism-reliant archetype center that was drafted out of the top 5 and went on to become a star.

JPB
06-19-2022, 04:02 PM
Different personalities too, between Willimas and Duren. Williams seems kinda cool, easy guy, maybe a tad shy while Duren seems more of an alpha guy, very confident, tough and determined. It remaons to see how it translates on the court, but yeah different guys.

Reason why I'd take Duren. Spurs are soft and need more alpha genes and leaders.

RC_Drunkford
06-19-2022, 04:05 PM
I wouldn't mind getting Williams, just his switchability is a little concerning to me. Scouting reports said his length makes up for it

Ocotillo
06-19-2022, 04:08 PM
Kind like Kevin Garnett was more of an alpha than easy going Tim Duncan? Hey, at the end of the day both guys ended up with a ring but I am just saying just cause a guy is less animated in their personality doesn't mean they won't be able to bring it on the court. With all due respect though, I get what you are saying we need more dog in our lineup, like Derrick White if only he had been an alpha.

Russ
06-19-2022, 04:19 PM
Someone please name the last low-skill, athleticism-reliant archetype center that was drafted out of the top 5 and went on to become a star.

How about DeAndre Jordan.

He was drafted in the 2d Round (pick 35).

He had very few basketball skills other than jumping up and dunking (hence the moniker "Lob City").

Yet he accomplished the following:

NBA All-Star (2017)
All-NBA First Team (2016)
2× All-NBA Third Team (2015, 2017)
2× NBA All-Defensive First Team (2015, 2016)
2× NBA rebounding leader (2014, 2015)

He also had the distinct (and most satisfying) honor of driving Marc Cuban completely insane as Cuban tried to stake DeAndre out at his Houston hideout when DeAndre stiffed the Mavs after agreeing to a max deal with them only to back out of it.

You can argue whether he was a star of or not, but you can't argue he was First Team All-NBA (only five of those guys in a given year) and he got a max deal (and had multiple suitors for it).

tonight...you
06-19-2022, 04:21 PM
Kind like Kevin Garnett was more of an alpha than easy going Tim Duncan? Hey, at the end of the day both guys ended up with a ring but I am just saying just cause a guy is less animated in their personality doesn't mean they won't be able to bring it on the court. With all due respect though, I get what you are saying we need more dog in our lineup, like Derrick White if only he had been an alpha.
I considered Tim as the quietest Alpha I had ever seen.
Remember that iconic moment when Tony drove on Lebron and scored in the Finals and popped up in his face and here comes Timmy.
Just grabs Parker by the proverbial scruff of his neck and drags him back to the bench.
That's Alpha.

tonight...you
06-19-2022, 04:23 PM
That was a true getcha ass over here moment.

Dejounte
06-19-2022, 04:29 PM
How about DeAndre Jordan.

He was drafted in the 2d Round (pick 35).

He had very few basketball skills other than jumping up and dunking (hence the moniker "Lob City").

Yet he accomplished the following:

NBA All-Star (2017)
All-NBA First Team (2016)
2× All-NBA Third Team (2015, 2017)
2× NBA All-Defensive First Team (2015, 2016)
2× NBA rebounding leader (2014, 2015)

He also had the distinct (and most satisfying) honor of driving Marc Cuban completely insane as Cuban tried to stake DeAndre out at his Houston hideout when DeAndre stiffed the Mavs after agreeing to a max deal with them only to back out of it.

You can argue whether he was a star of or not, but you can't argue he was First Team All-NBA (only five of those guys in a given year) and he got a max deal (and had multiple suitors for it).

I’ll concede to DeAndre, though if that’s the best example anyone has then it’s easy to live with. Don’t think there was a year I coveted DJ even after his lone all star year.

daslicer
06-19-2022, 04:44 PM

I have never bought into the Alpha stuff. Either you have it or you don't when it comes to killer instincts and self-confidence. Duncan had both in spades even greater than Garnett in my eyes. He just kept it internalized but he showed it on the court with his actions. There are guys who like Duncan, Kareem, Olajuwon that are not animated but get the job done.

duncan2150
06-19-2022, 04:46 PM

Adebayo then you have some guys like Jarret Allen, Robert Williams ( not stars for me). More than that if we look at last drafts, i don't see a lot of stars out of the top 5 : Haliburton two years ago, Herro in 2019 ? Shai in 2018 ..

RC_Drunkford
06-19-2022, 06:16 PM
Just watched some more scouting reports on him. I think Williams would flourish very well under the Spurs' development staff. Things like making the right pass, not fouling and footwork are basic fundamental things in this franchise. He also seems to be a smart enough player where you can say that he's able to develop well in those areas. Defensively he seems to be a game changer. His length gives him the possibility to guard roll man and handler in the pick & roll and to contest shots on the perimeter even when players create separation. Not many bigs in the NBA can do that.

I think he'd be the target in the draft. Ideally the Spurs grab BPA at 9 and then try to trade up to draft Williams. Although there's a high chance that the Hornets draft him at 13.

PhantomDashCam
06-19-2022, 07:35 PM
I wonder what Duren would have looked like playing with four future NBA Draft picks at 20 years of age? Two of those btw that are also slated to go in the lottery and were considered top 5 picks for most of the season...

This is not to slander Mark Williams at all but he took a leap in his sophomore season.
He's clearly the better player right now, all things considered, but that could change quickly in a year or two.

I know there are schools of thought that would want a player who's NBA ready from the jump but G-League experience would really help a player like Duren.
Playing against consistent physicality, improved spacing whilst refining the intangibles of the 'C' craft (screening, contesting without fouling etc). would do wonders for him.
It also could lead to a big second half of the season contribution for the big ball club.

rascal
06-19-2022, 07:37 PM

Artis Gilmore and Moses Malone

jjspur
06-19-2022, 08:56 PM
No matter where he gets drafted, at 7 foot plus he will be a difference maker on defense which this team could use. He would easily be as good if not better than our own back up centers.

I'm just thinking that at pick 9, the spurs want a starter. He might be a bit of a reach (less so than Primo) but I can see the interest. Artis Gilmore lite.

Russ
06-19-2022, 09:44 PM
Mark Williams was surrounded by elite shooters at Duke. He just stood under the basket and dunked when the defense overcommitted to those threats.

I think he's easy. I think he's soft. I think he smiles too much for no reason.

I wouldn't touch him with a ten-foot pole.

daslicer
06-19-2022, 09:49 PM
Mark Williams was surrounded by elite shooters at Duke. He just stood under the basket and dunked when the defense overcommitted to those threats.

I wouldn't say he's a bum. He strikes me as a guy who will be a 10-14 point player and will get you 10 rebounds a game. That's still pretty good in this league but obviously not a star.

Mr. Body
06-19-2022, 09:59 PM

Why are you drafting him for offense? Lmao

Williams had two very poor defenders he had to clean up after constantly. Banchero is bad, Griffin is absolutely awful. Dude had to plug up a shitty defense all the time and did pretty well.

Lol at your take