PDA

View Full Version : Bennedict Mathurin - 2022 NBA Draft Prospect

timvp
05-20-2022, 04:10 PM
Complete Bennedict Mathurin scouting report and Spurs outlook (https://www.spurstalk.com/bennedict-mathurin-scouting-report-strengths-weaknesses-spurs-outlook/)

https://i.imgur.com/hJjwG2a.jpg
Bennedict Mathurin
School: Arizona
Height w/ Shoes: 6-foot-6
Height w/o Shoes: 6-foot-4.5
Wingspan: 6-foot-9
Weight: 204.6
Position: SG/SF

Strengths
+Shooting
+Athleticism
+Scoring potential

Weaknesses
-Defensive activity
-Two-way focus
-Ball-handling

Complete Bennedict Mathurin scouting report and Spurs outlook (https://www.spurstalk.com/bennedict-mathurin-scouting-report-strengths-weaknesses-spurs-outlook/)

rascal
05-20-2022, 04:31 PM
Spurs can't pass on this guy. Explosive offensive players are hard to find outside of the top draft picks. You have to pay a premium for the athletic scorers.

Much easier to find solid defenders later.

Mr. Body
05-20-2022, 05:03 PM
+ he doesn't seem to be bothered by close-outs or contests at all
+ he has deep range
+ he has a clutch gene and is highly competetive
+ explosively athletic

- he could be a cockmunch

Marco
05-20-2022, 05:05 PM
One of Mathurin, Jalen Williams, Johnny Davis with the 9th pick.

DesignatedT
05-20-2022, 05:06 PM
I watched a couple of his games in the tourney and he was not very good.

Mr. Body
05-20-2022, 05:15 PM
I watched a couple of his games in the tourney and he was not very good.

And then against TCU he was spectacular.

Chomag
05-20-2022, 05:17 PM
He reminds me a bit of a young Carmelo although a bit smaller, same gametype and demeanor. However I have never been a fan of Melo because I always saw him as empty stats player so I don't know if that's a good thing lol

slick'81
05-20-2022, 05:42 PM
This guy seems to be getting alot of love on this board. Gonna have to see why this guy is all
about

Ariel
05-20-2022, 05:48 PM
He's possibly the safest "high ceiling" prospect we realistically have a shot at (I'm leaving out long term gambles like Dieng, Jovic, PBJ and Hardy), and I'll be satisfied if he's our first pick, though it isn't certain he'll be available at 9. That said, I don't think he's that far above the rest of the guys projected in the latter part of the lottery, at least not as far as value for the Spurs. And since I think we're more than one piece away, if we can't trade up for Banchero (be that with Houston or Sacramento) and get that star PF who can carry the offense, I'd consider trading down a bit (say 9 + 25 for 13 & 15) at the risk of losing Mathurin (or certainty, should I say), as long as we end up with one high potential guy (Johnny Davis/Jalen Williams) plus one combo forward to go along (Sochan/Eason).

RC_Drunkford
05-20-2022, 09:41 PM
He's a guard. We love guards. All we draft is guards. Go for it :lol

BatManu20
05-20-2022, 10:44 PM
Talented offensive player who is best playing off the ball. Great athlete who finishes well in transition. But there’s real questions about his defense. Think NOLA will be interested at 8. I expect him to go 7 or 8 and this board will melt down per par.

BatManu20
05-20-2022, 10:47 PM

BatManu20
05-20-2022, 10:51 PM
Reminds me of a poor man’s Jaylen Brown coming out of Cal. Similar builds, offensive games, and weaknesses.

I also attended the game at the Dome against Houston in the Sweet 16 where he really struggled. But he also showed flashes of stardom at other points this season (including against TCU in the tournament).

Mr. Body
05-20-2022, 10:53 PM
Talented offensive player who is best playing off the ball. Great athlete who finishes well in transition. But there’s real questions about his defense. Think NOLA will be interested at 8. I expect him to go 7 or 8 and this board will melt down per par.

I expect him to go earlier than #9. I don't see a lot of separation between him and Ivey. Different games, but same tier.

mookie2001
05-20-2022, 11:17 PM
Yall check out that TCU game lol they were so close omg. He ended it.

Uriel
05-20-2022, 11:45 PM
Lonnie Walker 2.0, tbh.

offset formation
05-20-2022, 11:49 PM
+ he doesn't seem to be bothered by close-outs or contests at all
+ he has deep range
+ he has a clutch gene and is highly competetive
+ explosively athletic

- he could be a cockmunch

Ah, can't wait for the thread...the cockmunch hermit hole of Benedict Mathurian

DPG21920
05-21-2022, 12:26 AM
The question seems to be: Is he (or anyone) good enough to trade up a few spots for?

offset formation
05-21-2022, 12:31 AM
The question seems to be: Is he (or anyone) good enough to trade up a few spots for?

Depends on the player and cost to move up, tbh.

I think you move up to top three if the price isn't too steep. IOW, are you giving up 2 FRPs and players, 3 FRPs and a pkayer, or 4 FRPs. Some of those scenarios are doable, some aren't.

Mr. Body
05-21-2022, 12:41 AM
Lonnie Walker 2.0, tbh.

Because, like, they both play basketball?

rascal
05-21-2022, 08:28 AM
Lonnie Walker 2.0, tbh.

No, he's much more of an explosive athletic scorer to the rim. Walker doesn't have his athletic skills.

I don't know how you can't see the differences between these two players.

rascal
05-21-2022, 08:32 AM
I expect him to go earlier than #9. I don't see a lot of separation between him and Ivey. Different games, but same tier.

Agree, he is close to Ivey. Won't likely be there at 9 unfortunately. Explosive athletic scorers go at a high draft value. Defensive guys cost less.

Uriel
05-21-2022, 08:36 AM
Because, like, they both play basketball?
Because they would play the same role essentially on this team: a go-to scoring 2-guard.

Uriel
05-21-2022, 08:37 AM
No, he's much more of an explosive athletic scorer to the rim. Walker doesn't have his athletic skills.

I don't know how you can't see the differences between these two players.
That comment was with regard to what his role on the team would be, not necessarily to say that they are the same player.

rascal
05-21-2022, 08:37 AM
Because they would play the same role essentially on this team: a go-to scoring 2-guard.

One would be successful the other not because they don't have the same abilities. Spurs need to move from Walker, he's not the answer for the go to scoring 2-guard.

widowmaker
05-21-2022, 08:48 AM
Lonnie Walker 2.0 he wont have the balls to drive to the basket in the NBA.

John B
05-21-2022, 08:48 AM
Exciting offensive player and I wouldn’t mind Spurs pick him. But if Davis is there, I’d take him. Davis is like a swiss army knife on an energizer bunny. Very much like Manu, just give him the ball. He’ll figure a way to win it for you.

K...
05-21-2022, 08:52 AM
Lonnie Walker 2.0 he wont have the balls to drive to the basket in the NBA.

you do know lonnie walker 1 is an all star without the heart or brains. SO it's not a big insult to use that comparison. hopefully the spurs know more about personality after luka and lonnie flamed out.

tonight...you
05-21-2022, 08:59 AM
Ah, can't wait for the thread...the cockmunch hermit hole of Benedict Mathurian
:lol

Stump
05-21-2022, 11:33 AM
you do know lonnie walker 1 is an all star without the heart or brains. SO it's not a big insult to use that comparison. hopefully the spurs know more about personality after luka and lonnie flamed out.
Respectfully, I don't want to put Luka and Lonnie in the same category. Lonnie has shown enough that he will continue to play in the NBA. Luka will not, and was thought so little of that he was cut from the team despite being owed guaranteed money.

John B
05-21-2022, 12:00 PM
Respectfully, I don't want to put Luka and Lonnie in the same category. Lonnie has shown enough that he will continue to play in the NBA. Luka will not, and was thought so little of that he was cut from the team despite being owed guaranteed money.

What’s keeping Lonnie is his great character.

I hate to compare him with Lonnie because Mathurin is not gun shy and will never defer like Lonnie. But his defense is suspect

BackHome
05-21-2022, 02:53 PM
The NBA game is a a game of the 3 ball we don’t have good shooter or even willing shooters he is both - Yes, Keldon got better which gives the team hope but having another starter with a good 3 ball really opens up the paint.

Ditty
05-21-2022, 04:10 PM
Had no idea what a cockmunch was until today :lol

CGD
05-22-2022, 07:34 AM
I’m hoping someone takes him before 9 so the spurs arent tempted. I’m not convinced and would rather have Davis.

Silverheart80
05-23-2022, 12:53 PM
The more I watch the remaining four playoff teams, the more I like Mathurin as a Spur. We need clutch shooters who aren't afraid to drive and break down a defense. We have no dawgs on this team who can put a team on their back in a 7-game series.

Outside of the top 4, I think this guy has the best chance to be that kind of pro. Unfortunately, I think Indiana, Portland or New Orleans snag him before we do.

stephen jackson
05-24-2022, 11:57 AM
He’ll come in and be the alpha we need someone to take over the team , period. team full of pussys

exstatic
05-25-2022, 07:26 PM
What’s keeping Lonnie is his great character.

I hate to compare him with Lonnie because Mathurin is not gun shy and will never defer like Lonnie. But his defense is suspect

Extremely suspect. He creates hardly any defensive events.

rascal
05-25-2022, 07:34 PM
Extremely suspect. He creates hardly any defensive events.

Not a reason to pass on him.

You can't just load the team with primarily defensive players , then you end up with a team like what the spurs currently are, no to go offensive star power.

PhantomDashCam
05-25-2022, 07:40 PM

Interesting...

Mr. Body
05-25-2022, 08:06 PM

Interesting...

Good find. I've posted before, Sochan's 3pt shooting was hundreds of fractions better than Kawhi's was when Leonard was a year older. And Kawhi really wasn't a terrible shooter, he just wasn't great. The myth is that the Spurs turned him from non-shooting into someone who was great. Truth is somewhere in between.

Mathurin -- his highlights are spectacular, but he has issues with his game. Still... spectacular.

Sochan -- he's not a shitty offensive player, but he's a work in progress. His ft% is really poor but I believe can greatly improve: his form looks good and he doesn't have bad hands.

jjspur
05-25-2022, 09:23 PM
Not a reason to pass on him.

You can't just load the team with primarily defensive players , then you end up with a team like what the spurs currently are, no to go offensive star power.
I'm confident some goofy NBA GM in the top 8 will make a reach before the spurs do. At that point Mathurin possibly falls. Hopefully to the spurs.

rascal
05-25-2022, 09:31 PM
Good find. I've posted before, Sochan's 3pt shooting was hundreds of fractions better than Kawhi's was when Leonard was a year older. And Kawhi really wasn't a terrible shooter, he just wasn't great. The myth is that the Spurs turned him from non-shooting into someone who was great. Truth is somewhere in between.

Mathurin -- his highlights are spectacular, but he has issues with his game. Still... spectacular.

Sochan -- he's not a shitty offensive player, but he's a work in progress. His ft% is really poor but I believe can greatly improve: his form looks good and he doesn't have bad hands.

Sochan will never be the offensive center piece of a team , Mathurin can.

PhantomDashCam
05-25-2022, 09:45 PM

:tu

Yeah I remember watching one of those Sports Science ESPN vids. talking about how he had tweaked his shot post college, pre-draft.

https://youtu.be/K8FKTYuKUuI

Mathurin would be an interesting choice considering what we've been told about Primo.
At some point the Spurs have to address the '4' spot and I hope they take multiple stabs at it this draft...

Mr. Body
05-25-2022, 09:46 PM

No shit, man. You're fucking brilliant.

rascal
05-25-2022, 11:36 PM
No shit, man. You're fucking brilliant.

Be cool. No need for that.

duncan2150
05-26-2022, 03:51 AM

But the game is on both side off the court, i prefer a defensive center piece who can score( and has a good offensive upside) than the contrary.

PhantomDashCam
05-26-2022, 07:50 PM
One scout's take on Ben Mathurin's game, courtesy of Raf. Barlowe's NBA Big Board....

He’s best on a Western Conference team that gets up and down the floor. He may struggle in the halfcourt game,
but if you allow him to get up and down and shoot, he’ll kill you. I think he’s a combination of Spurs wings Devin Vassell and Lonnie Walker.

A two-for-one special... If that's accurate and we draft him, he figures to be the most loved and hated Spur on the roster :lol

CGD
05-26-2022, 11:19 PM

Huh, I thought he was taller for some reason. Similar measurements to Davis then.

rascal
05-26-2022, 11:34 PM
Huh, I thought he was taller for some reason. Similar measurements to Davis then.

He plays above the rim, he can jump.

Davis not so much.

duncan2150
05-27-2022, 04:46 AM
He plays above the rim, he can jump.

Davis not so much.

True but Davis is better on D , by far for the moment. Mathurin has the tools to be better on D.

rascal
05-27-2022, 08:40 AM
But the game is on both side off the court, i prefer a defensive center piece who can score( and has a good offensive upside) than the contrary.

I prefer an offensive center piece who can play defense especially with that 9th pick.

Offensive center pieces go at a higher premium. You can find defense later with the less costly picks.

duncan2150
05-27-2022, 09:14 AM
I prefer an offensive center piece who can play defense especially with that 9th pick.

Offensive center pieces go at a higher premium. You can find defense later with the less costly picks.

and i'm ok with that, i prefer to have a big defender with offensive upside ( real offensive upside ). I think Davis, Daniels and Sochan are in this category in different ways.

More than that i don't see an offensive center piece available at 9.

Mr. Body
05-27-2022, 03:20 PM
My bet is that Mathurin goes pretty high. Could be Top 5.

T Park
05-27-2022, 05:21 PM
My bet is that Mathurin goes pretty high. Could be Top 5.

Between him and a couple others, thats gonna shove guys like Murray and other good guys down. Which is fine. Complete crap shoot right now outside the top 3.

TD 21
06-01-2022, 06:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1429&v=Nqffe6Y3X7M&feature=emb_title

Givony @ 23: 49: "You know, I've heard the name Ben Mathurin being thrown around a lot their (Pelicans @ 8)."

:lmao Typical. Their targets will predictably go right in front of them, they'll balk at the cost to move up and reach on some project.

exstatic
06-01-2022, 06:40 PM
True but Davis is better on D , by far for the moment. Mathurin has the tools to be better on D.

Neither one projects to be more than a neutral NBA defender.

CGD
06-01-2022, 07:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1429&v=Nqffe6Y3X7M&feature=emb_title

Givony @ 23: 49: "You know, I've heard the name Ben Mathurin being thrown around a lot their (Pelicans @ 8)."

:lmao Typical. Their targets will predictably go right in front of them, they'll balk at the cost to move up and reach on some project.

I’m not sweatin it. Mathurin, Griffin, and Davis all seems fungible to me in that range. It’ll really come to who has the right stuff between the ears if they go with a guard like that. I’m actually coming back around to Griffin at 9.

Mr. Body
06-01-2022, 08:00 PM
Griffin and Daniels make sense for NOP. I can see Duren as a possibility, but Daniels might make the most sense to play next to McCollum.

The top 10 could get weird/unexpected. I don't know if the Spurs would take Mathurin over Davis, anyway. Dude already has a Taco Bell commercial.

spurraider21
06-01-2022, 08:38 PM
james anderson redemption pick

spurraider21
06-01-2022, 08:38 PM

and this forum will be semen shielding that prospect when they're still ass at the end of their 2nd year. "he was always meant to be a 4 year project!"

Mr. Body
06-01-2022, 08:54 PM

If AJ Griffin goes in the top 8, then the Spurs will likely see Mathurin, Keegan, or Daniels drop to them. But I don't think the 4-8 picks are certain whatsoever.

PhantomDashCam
06-01-2022, 09:10 PM
If AJ Griffin goes in the top 8, then the Spurs will likely see Mathurin, Keegan, or Daniels drop to them. But I don't think the 4-8 picks are certain whatsoever.

Maybe even number 3 is in flux... Going to be a bonkers draft.

BatManu20
06-01-2022, 09:11 PM
I’d be shocked if AJ Griffin goes top-7. I really would. Would be great for us though obviously.

mo7888
06-01-2022, 10:35 PM

If Houston takes Ivey...I hope we can get a deal in place with Sacramento....

offset formation
06-01-2022, 10:54 PM

Think this is pretty transparent actually, that Houston wants one of the teams behind them that think Ivey is therir guy to trade up. Everyone and their mother knows Houston will be drafting Banchero if he's on the board, over Ivey.

TD 21
06-01-2022, 11:20 PM
I’m not sweatin it. Mathurin, Griffin, and Davis all seems fungible to me in that range. It’ll really come to who has the right stuff between the ears if they go with a guard like that. I’m actually coming back around to Griffin at 9.

Mathurin is by far the best fit (athletic, good shooter, positional size, no worrisome injury history) and Griffin is a combo forward. If not for his injury history, he'd probably be the most likely option.

The order isn't, but the players probably are (Ivey, Murray, Mathurin, Daniels, Sharpe). At this point, I'm expecting the Spurs to reach on Dieng, Sochan or Jalen Williams.

PhantomDashCam
06-01-2022, 11:20 PM
If Houston takes Ivey...I hope we can get a deal in place with Sacramento....

I'm not sure what it would take in all honesty. Spurs always seem reticent to deal with WC rivals, Sacramento is committed to winning now (a relative term for the franchise :lol)...

I guess if they felt KJ was going to price himself out of their comfort levels, maybe...

SA - KJ + Langford (Filler) + 9 + 20 for
SAC - 4 + Mo Harkless

Would that be enough? May get a conversation started...

Ice009
06-02-2022, 03:01 AM
I really want Jaden Ivey. Where do you guys see him going now? I can't get a read on it as a week or two ago it was said he might go as low as 4th, but also could go higher. I assume people here want Banchero, and if he's still there at number 4, to try hard to trade for Sacramento's pick.

This is a crazy draft. I don't know where anyone will end up. It seems to be in flux all the time.

exstatic
06-02-2022, 06:29 AM
Houston is just playing the Boston game, trying to get Sacto to geek, and give up assets to move up and draft Ivey. If I’m Sacto, and they pick Ivey, I send them a thank you card, and draft which ever PF drops to me.

Ice009
06-02-2022, 07:33 AM
Houston is just playing the Boston game, trying to get Sacto to geek, and give up assets to move up and draft Ivey. If I’m Sacto, and they pick Ivey, I send them a thank you card, and draft which ever PF drops to me.

Ahh right, that's actually pretty smart. Still get who they want, but also try and get an asset from Sacto. It'd really annoy me if Sac get Ivey, though, as I preferred Haliburton (having said that, I still have high hopes for DV as I really like his game, just preferred Tyrese's a little bit more) and they'd get another player I wanted for the second time.

mo7888
06-02-2022, 07:40 AM
I'm not sure what it would take in all honesty. Spurs always seem reticent to deal with WC rivals, Sacramento is committed to winning now (a relative term for the franchise :lol)...

I guess if they felt KJ was going to price himself out of their comfort levels, maybe...

SAC - 4 + Mo Harkless

It's Sacramento...they do strange things...I'd probably start the conversation with less to see where they are...but I'd definitely give that for 4 in this scenario

BatManu20
06-02-2022, 08:10 AM
Houston ain’t passing on Banchero at 3. Not a chance.

exstatic
06-02-2022, 09:26 AM
Ahh right, that's actually pretty smart. Still get who they want, but also try and get an asset from Sacto. It'd really annoy me if Sac get Ivey, though, as I preferred Haliburton (having said that, I still have high hopes for DV as I really like his game, just preferred Tyrese's a little bit more) and they'd get another player I wanted for the second time.

Man, there’s a lot of Ivey love for a player with serious bust possibilities. Little guards HAVE to be knockdown 3 point shooters to hit the path to stardom. He isn’t, and isn’t even a really good FT shooter, a sometimes indicator of improved shooting down the road. Like a lot of NCAA players, he leans on his athleticism, something that he will be less able to do in the NBA. I’d rather pay for a finished product in Sexton.

wildbill2u
06-05-2022, 04:27 PM
"The hope with Mathurin is that he was just loafing on defense to save his energy for the offensive end. He had a low foul rate, which could be a point in favor of the latter scenario."

A loafer on defense who is primarily interested in his scoring stats is not someone I want on the team. Ever. We've seen that it doesn't work except for putting in bench players when we need some outside shooting to get back into a game. Do you use a #9 on another traffic cone on defense?

rascal
06-05-2022, 05:21 PM
"The hope with Mathurin is that he was just loafing on defense to save his energy for the offensive end. He had a low foul rate, which could be a point in favor of the latter scenario."

A loafer on defense who is primarily interested in his scoring stats is not someone I want on the team. Ever. We've seen that it doesn't work except for putting in bench players when we need some outside shooting to get back into a game. Do you use a #9 on another traffic cone on defense?

What I don't want is a player who can't shoot and is limited offensively. Mathurin is a top ten pick for a reason, he's no traffic cone.

The spurs would be lucky to have a shot at him at 9.

You can find other players with lower draft picks who are primarily defensive orientated.

The Spurs have no go to player who can hit the big shot in a big spot.

Ariel
06-05-2022, 06:18 PM

SAC - 4 + Mo Harkless

That's at the very least a very reasonable compensation package. If they are open to trading the pick, that should be something to consider. And honestly it may be MORE than I'd be willing to give up... At 4 we're looking at Ivey most likely... I love him, but that's a steep price... maybe switch 38 for 20? or 25, at the most. I don't really want to part with 20. Also, lately I have this hunch it may be Chet that ends up last of the top 4, and I don't want him at that price at all.

exstatic
06-05-2022, 09:38 PM
What I don't want is a player who can't shoot and is limited offensively. Mathurin is a top ten pick for a reason, he's no traffic cone.

The spurs would be lucky to have a shot at him at 9.

You can find other players with lower draft picks who are primarily defensive orientated.

The Spurs have no go to player who can hit the big shot in a big spot.

Sure we do. His name is Lomkie Walker, and surprise surprise,he doesn’t play defense worth a crap. Why do we want to duplicate that mistake?

rascal
06-05-2022, 09:44 PM
Sure we do. His name is Lomkie Walker, and surprise surprise,he doesn’t play defense worth a crap. Why do we want to duplicate that mistake?

Mathurin is not Walker. Walker doesn't even have high offensive upside. Bad comparison.

PhantomDashCam
06-05-2022, 09:57 PM
That's at the very least a very reasonable compensation package. If they are open to trading the pick, that should be something to consider. And honestly it may be MORE than I'd be willing to give up... At 4 we're looking at Ivey most likely... I love him, but that's a steep price... maybe switch 38 for 20? or 25, at the most. I don't really want to part with 20. Also, lately I have this hunch it may be Chet that ends up last of the top 4, and I don't want him at that price at all.

I mean I would be pretty excited if the Spurs were willing to give up that haul for whoever they chose at #4. It would suggest to me they're extremely comfortable with that player projecting to be a franchise cornerstone or at worst high level starter for years to come.
If Sacramento is genuinely interested in parting with #4 (and it is just rumors at this point), I would expect there to be plenty of suitors. I think ideally you would want to blow them away from the jump, make an offer that is difficult to turn down/look elsewhere and that expires as soon as you hang up the phone. Take it or leave it kind of approach.
(It should be stated that I'm not even sure GMs operate like this. :lol)

CGD
06-05-2022, 10:07 PM
Mathurin is not Walker. Walker doesn't even have high offensive upside. Bad comparison.

But he’s not that far off either. If you want this player just pay Lonnie something reasonable this summer. Draft Davis at the wing, or go for the best center.

rascal
06-05-2022, 10:22 PM
Mathurin is better than Davis also.

Mathurin will be drafted before Davis.

FutureMan
06-05-2022, 11:00 PM

I have a feeling all the posts comparing Mathurin to Walker are going to age like milk.

Degoat
06-05-2022, 11:05 PM
I like Mathurin a lot he’s one of my top 3 choices for the spurs at number 9. What does sorta scare me tho lol I see a little Dion Waiters in him which would be horrible. I think he’ll be much better but his range of outcomes is pretty wide imo

Uriel
07-26-2022, 08:35 PM
Randomly thought: since the Spurs were said to be highly interested in Mathurin in last year’s draft, does that mean if he had stayed, he would be a Spur right now instead of Josh Primo? How would the team look in that case?