PDA

View Full Version : Router Question

ZStomp
11-29-2005, 03:27 PM
So I have a Netgear Router at home and was wondering how you can set up a password or what have you so that nobody outside the house can tap into it? I think a neighbor may be using it because my connection is slow at times.

Any suggestions?

3rdCoast
11-29-2005, 03:42 PM
Why you gotta be so sheisty bro? Let them share it.

I think Manny snakes his neighbors connection too.

gay abc
11-29-2005, 03:49 PM
my partner secured ours somehow - name the network, encrypt it and setup a password - but write down the password or you will be SOL - he said it was easy - just read the directions that came with it

ChumpDumper
11-29-2005, 03:54 PM
The easiest thing to do is set up MAC filtering. Every network adapter has a unique identifier (a MAC address) and the router can be programmed to accept or deny access to particular MAC addresses. Last I remember, Netgear's web interface was relatively easy to work with. You should be able to see your computer and whomever else's that might be connected to the router, then you can add your computer(s) to the MAC filter list of addresses allowed to access the router and activate the filter.

For total security, you can encrypt your transmissions and require users to enter a long-ass key to be able to get the signal. I personally don't bother.

Vashner
11-29-2005, 03:54 PM
You mean a wireless router? Normal netgear wired router won't need a password because of NAT blocking incoming login request to it.

ChumpDumper
11-29-2005, 03:56 PM
You mean a wireless router? Normal netgear wired router won't need a password because of NAT blocking incoming login request to it.If it's wired you should just unplug your neighbor's cat 5 cable.

SpursWoman
11-29-2005, 04:06 PM
If it's wired you should just unplug your neighbor's cat 5 cable.

Duh. :lol

Slomo
11-29-2005, 04:29 PM
Lock your access point/router to the MAC address of your PC and enable wep encryption with the 128bit key. It's far from 100% secure but it will keep most users at bay. The security portion of the WLAN standard is not very good and experience users can crack it relatively easy. If you want 100% peace of mind you should encrypt the wireless portion of your network - but you need extra hardware/software to do that.

gay abc
11-29-2005, 04:41 PM
gay abc is funny even when he doesn't try.

oh you're just jealous that i can have sex with men and you can't or not suppose to :spin

PM5K
11-29-2005, 04:48 PM
Rtfm...

ZStomp
11-29-2005, 05:45 PM
What did you just say to me?

gay abc
11-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Read The Fucking Manual

:lol

ZStomp
11-29-2005, 05:51 PM
yea...like that helps...:lol

SpursWoman
11-29-2005, 05:52 PM
Read The Fucking Manual

:lol

:lmao

I spent a while trying to figure that one out, too... :oops :lmao

Then I Googled it and was delighted when it's explaination was in the description of the very first link that came up. :tu :lol

boutons
11-29-2005, 05:55 PM
acronymfinder.com

ShoogarBear
11-29-2005, 06:01 PM
Oh. My. God.

There is actually a generation of Internet users who don't know what RTFM means.

That is like the absolute granddady of all net acronyms.

I feel so old.

gay abc
11-29-2005, 06:05 PM
:lmao

I spent a while trying to figure that one out, too... :oops :lmao

Then I Googled it and was delighted when it's explaination was in the description of the very first link that came up. :tu :lol

GUILTY!!!!! - i did the same thing :lol

Slomo
11-29-2005, 06:10 PM
Oh. My. God.

There is actually a generation of Internet users who don't know what RTFM means.

I feel so old.
That was my first reaction too! But I was too embarassed to publicly admit it! :lol

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/front/lg-rtfm-mug.jpg

SpursWoman
11-29-2005, 06:53 PM
Oh. My. God.

I feel so old.

I remembered what it was exactly when I saw it ... and couldn't believe I forgot. I must have had a Senior Moment or something.

MannyIsGod
11-29-2005, 11:58 PM
Luis, you should be able to check your router to see if there are other users logged onto it. Unless your neighbor is doing some serious downloading it shouldn't slow down your connection.

Share bitch! ;)

ZStomp
11-30-2005, 12:46 AM
Luis, you should be able to check your router to see if there are other users logged onto it. Unless your neighbor is doing some serious downloading it shouldn't slow down your connection.

Share bitch! ;)

Well, i don't mind sharing..it's my roommate bitching...:lol

Slomo
11-30-2005, 05:38 AM
So did you fix it? Need more help with it?