PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Jermaine O'Neal

timvp
03-31-2003, 03:26 AM
http://espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/3120.jpghttp://espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/nba/med/trans/ind.GIF

Name: Jermaine O'Neal
Height: 6-11
Weight: 242 lbs.
Pos: FC
Born: October 13, 1978, Columbia, SC
Drafted: 1996, 1st round, 17th pick by Trail Blazers

O'Neal is a free agent this summer and I think he would be a great player next to Tim Duncan. I like his defense and passing, not to mention his good low post game. He could average close to 20 playing off of Duncan.

The question is whether he'll leave Indy. He's made it known he's a fan of Pop and says his main goal is to win a championship. However it would be hard for him to turn down more money and a go-to role to come to SA.

The more I think of it, the more I think he should be the number one option next summer.

Patrick Davis
03-31-2003, 03:31 AM
He's a balla, but would he be willing to be the second option in the post. I want his talent, but I don't want any trouble with him complaining and needing to be traded for some big contract with not so big talent. Maybe it won't come to that, he is one of my first options for this summer now. But I do worry.

freak
03-31-2003, 03:31 AM
for some reason i'm just not that interested in the spurs aquiring him.

if they do, i guess so.

if they don't, we'll be fine anyways.

o0drpill0o
03-31-2003, 03:52 AM
Jermaine... Ideally he would be a better guy for us than Kidd IMO. But by ideally I mean if he is willing to play second fiddle to Tim, and I am unsure if he would be. O'Neal is a great player; like timvp mentioned he is a really good passer and of course is an excellent post scorer and shot blocker. I don't think he and Duncan would get in each other's way on offense; TD is so versatile he would just start relying a little more on his medium range game.

I really doubt Jermaine will come here but if he does it means he is likely willing to play his role as the number two offensive option and big time defensive stopper. I don't think we really need his offense, but I'm sure he would want the ball in his hands a lot and he is good enough to warrant it. I would be happy if the Spurs added Jermaine but I would be willing to settle for a good defensive 4 or 5 a la PJ Brown or, I don't know, Keon Clark?

LiLRoCkBaLLa21
03-31-2003, 04:05 AM
I think we need the kandi man. Jerm would be ok but we need a player to keep duncan at PF and not have to play C.

Pooh
03-31-2003, 04:41 AM
Well I really don't see O'Neal leaving Indy. There's a lot of young talent on the Pacers, it would be a shame to just walk away.

I don't think he would be willing to share the spotlight with Tim, he'll want his touches at the ball. O'Neal's rough style fits right in where he's at, he could just be another "Rodman" down here as compared to what he is right now.

Personally, what the Spurs have isn't broken...I would just bring up whatever you have in the NBDL and go from there. Otherwise you'll be turning into basketball version of the Raiders, drafting names just to sell tickets.

freak
03-31-2003, 04:44 AM
does it hurt knowing the pacers will never win a championship?

young talent = usually make the playoffs in the east

Rabel 13
03-31-2003, 06:29 AM
if the spurs want to use all their cap space on one player...

this is the guy to get.

spurster
03-31-2003, 12:13 PM
Getting J. O'Neal (or Brand) and keeping Claxton would keep the Spurs current rotation basically intact and be a major improvement. This team is playing so well together that something like this is beginning to look like the first option.

DuffMcCartney
03-31-2003, 03:20 PM
Yeah I agree Jermaine O'Neal is the guy to get..as long as he knows his role. He is second to Duncan but he is a smart player and I am sure we would know that.

timvp
03-31-2003, 04:03 PM
The ironic thing is the Spurs almost landed him in '99 with the Sean Elliott exception money. It took a late push by the Trailblazers to keep him. Imagine if the Spurs could have groomed him the last three seasons:smokin2

Patrick Davis
03-31-2003, 04:44 PM
O'Neal would be a haas if he has Spurs coaching staff, and David teaching him the game. maybe we can get him now and take him to a new level.

timvp
04-18-2003, 06:08 AM
O'Neal is looking like he is the best option. If Parker can hold his own against Marbury, that should make it a lock.

GrandeDavid
04-18-2003, 09:09 AM
Got punked by my boys from Argentina in the World Championships. Listless effort by JO resulted in Manu and a coule of other guys posterizing him under the rim. I'm turned off on JO now, although I obviously am aware that he'd be a great asset to the Spurs, albeit an expensive one from the Leastern Conference where even DizzG could be an All Star.

MI21
04-18-2003, 09:39 AM
if the spurs want to use all their cap space on one player...

this is the guy to get.

Good sir Rabel, you are a smart man.

I've been saying Jermaine should be the Spurs Number 1 option, since Shawn Marion signed his extension.

Btw, who gives a **** what he did in the WC? Bateer played well in the WC, and look at him.

Jimcs50
04-18-2003, 11:00 AM
pfc will be giving me $100 when this guy signs with us in July! This is why I am pulling for Indy to lose early in playoffs.

pfc2002
04-18-2003, 11:27 AM
heheheh... I will Jim. I can't loose. when he signs with Indy I get $100, if aliens land and then he signs with Spurs I'll be happy too (albiet with $100 less)

Ghost Writer
04-18-2003, 11:49 AM
Jermaine O'Neal has been the #1 option for this summer in my view since the Holt-Ing Pattern was established in 2001. The only reason why I've entertained other options is because he's not coming to San Antonio. He's Indiana's franchise player and I can't see him leaving after the Pacers reach the Finals this postseason.

:cooldevil

DrEmilioLizardo
04-18-2003, 12:57 PM
He's Indiana's franchise player and I can't see him leaving after the Pacers reach the Finals this postseason.

Finals? You HAVE been following the Pacers soap opera since the All-Star break haven't you? I think that Cleveland may have as many wins in that span...:lol

When I think of the post All Star Pacers, only one word comes to mind: crater. They very well may not make it out of the first round, and it won't be because of lack of talent.

timvp
04-18-2003, 02:29 PM
If JO'Neal and the Pacers flame out in round one, it should make him really think of his options.

But when it comes down to it, I don't think he leaves Indy.

pfc2002
04-18-2003, 02:59 PM
I don't think he'll go even if Indiana get's bounced. I think Isiah will get canned and a good coach will take over.

The only way I see O'Neal moving is if Indiana tries to get cheap and I just don't see that happening

Ghost Writer
04-18-2003, 04:26 PM
Dr.EL, name me one Eastern "powerhouse" that played well since the All-Star Break.

:cooldevil

timvp
04-18-2003, 11:36 PM
Phily?:smokin2

Guru of Nothing
04-19-2003, 01:13 AM
Look at the dollars, and look at the free agents - and look at the luxury tax threshold. Something has to give in Indiana, be it Miller, Miller, or O'Neal.

Thank goodness for the contracts of Artest, Mercer, Bender, and (especially) Croshere.

T Park Num 9
04-19-2003, 01:19 AM
Reggie Miller is prob the guy that will shave off a bit of his payroll to keep both.

While Id LOVE to signa Jermaine O'neal, him and Duncan together would just be UNREAL.

I highly doubt hes comin, hes Indiana's big guy and they will try everything they can to resign him.

His rumblings about seeing how the Pacers finish in the playoffs, and hed consider playing next to Duncan are nice and dandy, but its more than likely just grandstanding and positioning by a young guy lookin for his bling bling.

O'Neal would be great, but I highly doubt that hes comin.

Brad Miller is the more than likely candidate and MAYBE the better fit.

Guru of Nothing
04-19-2003, 01:33 AM
Brad Miller is the more than likely candidate and MAYBE the better fit.

Maybe O'Neal stays in Indy, but how is BMiller "maybe" a better fit? Duncan/O'Neal vs Duncan /BMiller is not that hard to evaluate.

Crunch the values again and report back.

Details please.

KoriEllis
04-19-2003, 01:38 AM
I don't think O'Neal is the lock to stay in Indy as much as everyone thinks.

O'Neal is a young guy who wants to win. People say "He will want all the touches." I have never seen O'Neal be a ego-based player. He shares the ball very well and doesn't bitch about his teammates even though this season he has had reason to do so. Playing next to Tim Duncan is very appetizing. The Pacers have been a team of turmoil all season long. The Spurs are a level-headed club. Pop likes Jermaine. Jermaine likes Pop. If the Pacers are out in the first round and the Spurs go all the way, I cannot imagine that Jermaine doesn't take San Antonio into very, very serious consideration.

I'm not saying he's a lock to come to SA. I'm just saying NO ONE is a lock to stay put. The Spurs will have exciting decisions to make this summer.:fro

T Park Num 9
04-19-2003, 01:49 AM
Well lets look at this way.

Duncan is gonna get his

death and taxes, 24 and 12. (CC TIMVP)

Jermaine O Neal next to Duncan? 18 and 10 2 blocks.

Brad Miller 14 10 1.5 blocks

Thats what id estimate those two would average playing next to Duncan.

Now this is where it gets into fitting in, there "role" or playing the D ROB role.

I believe all were looking for is someone who can do what DROB did in 99 or now, and maybe some more athleticism
and more scoring punch.

I dont think a 24 and 12 can mesh witha 24 and 12.

Now heres where it gets sticky. The reason i believe Jermaine wouldnt work here as well as Brad Miller is that

Brad is already in the role of defense, rebound, block shots, and 3rd or 4th option.

Thats what hed be here, hes already used to the role hed fit in perfect.

Jermaine would have to be SECOND fiddle to Duncan, and I dont think Jermaine O'Neal has that hungry will do anything for the team second role no problem mentality YET.

Now I could be wrong he could come in here and say POP give duncan the damn ball and Ill do whatever you want.

But I feel that Brad Miller would chemsitry wise and team scheme wise would fit in nicer than Jermaine O'Neal.

Plus, I think the odd man out right now in Indiana is Brad Miller, Miller will want his Jermaine definately wants his, and hell be lookin at a MLE,

I would pay him just above the MLE and then go after a Juwan Howard or another athletic guy, or just go after some bench guys to fill in for Kerr Ferry Bateer and Smith.

Guru of Nothing
04-19-2003, 02:34 AM
Very nice reply TPark , but, ....,

You make an assumption that Tim Duncan is consumed with his Top Dog status. I believe that Tim is supremely confident in his abilities and his value, and he does not give a rat's ass about minutes and numbers. He knows the dollars are there, regardless. You may be still be right, but until proven otherwise, I disagree.

I've gone on the record that I am a Malik Rose fan, and I think (the possibility of) a Duncan, O'Neal, Rose frontcourt represents the most relentless frontcourt ever witnessed. Throw in Parker, Jackson and Ginobili, and no amount of hyperbole could serve my opinion justice.

But, we are still talking what-if. In the meantime,

Go Spurs Go!

T Park Num 9
04-19-2003, 02:40 AM
I think you ahve to think Tim Duncan still wants to be the top dog on this team and isnt going to let someone come in and take over for him.

If I were him, Id be like, hey what the ****, Im the MVP screw you what have YOU done.

I dont think Duncan would like someone coming in and taking the ball away from him, I mean someone taking shots away from the back to back MVP????

COME ON.

Guru of Nothing
04-19-2003, 02:55 AM
Duncan would still BE the top dog.

I'm assuming the top dog votes are cast in the lockerroom, and not in an ESPN poll.

T Park Num 9
04-19-2003, 03:03 AM
Ok if you assume hell be top dog

then why say

Duncan would be willing

that means you think Duncan would want to step back just a hair.

I dont think he will want to.

Guru of Nothing
04-19-2003, 03:18 AM
Well, compare this season to last year's. Duncan has stepped back slightly, and the team has thrived (since Jan 1). I'm not asking that Duncan step aside like DRob did as he neared the beginning of the end, but . ....... hmmmmm

....... well

...... I really can't think of a good example off the top of my head, but I can think of a so-so comparison - think Magic Johnson. Statistically, he shared the wealth, and by all indications, he has no regrets (about what happened ON the court).

This is all I have to say about the possibility of JO coming to SA. If he does, great, if not, then Plan B better be a damn good one,

Adios.

KoriEllis
04-19-2003, 03:19 AM
I don't see why Duncan would have to "step back", the two could compliment each other. There is room for Duncan to put up 23/12 and O'Neal 20/10, isn't there? That's not much stepping back. In the 99 season, didn't Duncan average 24/12 and Robinson 17/10 (or close to that, I'm not looking it up)?

I don't see it as much difference. Pacers' offense has five or six guys averaging double-figures. So it's not like Jermaine touches the ball every trip up the floor in dump-a-chump fashion. He's used to being on a team that everyone scores.

Who knows what will happen, but IMO O'Neal is one of the Spurs' first considerations.

Guru of Nothing
04-19-2003, 03:30 AM
A "step back" is not quite what I meant, even though I said it. I think if O'Neal comes to SA, Duncan's numbers drop, if only slightly. As an example, if I remember correctly, David's rebounds dropped when Rodman arrived on the scene. During this time, I never thought David took a step back. Likewise, O'Neal's presence would take away some from Duncan (without all the antics, of course).

But, my original thought remains, Duncan knows just how good he is, and his ego won't interfere with him and O'Neal (possibly) co-existing in the frontcourt.

I'm tired. No more from me tonight.

Adios.

genghisrex
04-19-2003, 10:33 AM
Brad Miller 14 10 1.5 blocks
T Park, what makes you think that Miller will suddenly become a shotblocker next to Duncan? He swats .59 shots per game on his career...

T Park Num 9
04-19-2003, 02:04 PM
The way hell be put into position with defensive sets.

Duncan next to him, maybe challenging him.

Mostly the position hell be put in by pop in the defensive rotations and sets.