PDA

View Full Version : Tari Eason Deserves a Thread

wildbill2u
06-01-2022, 10:35 PM
I think he deserves a thread to himself. Lots of mentions in other threads. Is moving up on draft boards lately. Had a good combine. I don't think he will fall to our 20.

Tari Eason - NBADraft.net (https://www.nbadraft.net/players/tari-eason/)

Tari Eason: 2022 NBA Draft Scouting Report - Bing video (https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tari+eason+scouting+report&ru=%2fvideos%2fsearch%3fq%3dtari%2beason%2bscoutin g%2breport%26qpvt%3dtari%2beason%2bscouting%2brepo rt%26FORM%3dVDRE&qpvt=tari+eason+scouting+report&view=detail&mid=B4F81E190F52C7F96FB1B4F81E190F52C7F96FB1&&FORM=VDRVSR)

offset formation
06-01-2022, 10:48 PM
I think he deserves a thread to himself. Lots of mentions in other threads. Is moving up on draft boards lately. Had a good combine. I don't think he will fall to our 20.

Tari Eason - NBADraft.net (https://www.nbadraft.net/players/tari-eason/)

Tari Eason: 2022 NBA Draft Scouting Report - Bing video (https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tari+eason+scouting+report&ru=%2fvideos%2fsearch%3fq%3dtari%2beason%2bscoutin g%2breport%26qpvt%3dtari%2beason%2bscouting%2brepo rt%26FORM%3dVDRE&qpvt=tari+eason+scouting+report&view=detail&mid=B4F81E190F52C7F96FB1B4F81E190F52C7F96FB1&&FORM=VDRVSR)

Yup. I'm high on Eason. Like him almost as much as Sochan and Daniels.

The Truth #6
06-02-2022, 10:35 AM
I think Dyson Daniels might be getting projected too high, at least for me. I like his swiss army knife approach, but still feels like a high end role player. But Eason seems to have more of an intangible edge to him in his attitude that I would rather roll the dice on. Same thing with Sochan. I said before that Sochan and Daniels actually have some overlapping skills, so why not take the taller version of a similar high-end role player.

Having said all that, I'm still leaning Eason over Sochan or Dyson Daniels.

rjv
06-02-2022, 10:39 AM
the claw 2.0? (hand size wise)

John B
06-02-2022, 12:48 PM
I wouldn’t be upset to see him drafted but they first need to get that go-to scorer either by draft or FA. But I rather they draft Keegan, Sochan, Dieng (him I’m starting to like a lot!).

JPB
06-02-2022, 03:05 PM
And the award for ST darling of the week goes to... Tadam!... Ousmane Dieng.

Looks like there might be a nice player at #9 anyway.

R. DeMurre
06-02-2022, 03:32 PM
Such a fascinating player: impact stats through the roof, tons of blocks and steals, good shooting percentages, godawful assist-to-turnover ratio (1.0:2.2), high foul rate, best defender on his team by far... the good seems to greatly outweigh the bad, but there are also some red flags in terms of decision making. It'll be interesting to see what teams do if he drops. He gets compared to Jeremy Sochan a lot as a pesky uber versatile defender, and one very interesting scenario could occur if Sochan drops to 13, where Charlotte could take him and also Eason two picks later at 15. Some might say they overlap too much, but I think the idea of grabbing two of the potentially best defenders in the draft (at 6'8 and 6'9) might positively change the complexion of that team, especially if Sochan is eventually capable of playing some minutes as a small ball center.

TD 21
06-02-2022, 04:10 PM
Word is he's dropping and Terry is rising.

Again, this board is fascinated with these defensive forwards, but if they can't become credible enough 3-point threats for the defense to regard them, they become virtually unplayable in a playoff setting.

wildbill2u
06-03-2022, 06:22 AM
Brings the Nasty on defense and offense with athleticism and strength. Saw a couple of clips where he's at a combine workout and monotonously putting down catch and shoot 3s. If he's there at 20, a no-brainer because he's a gym rat who brings a work ethic to fix his problems.

CGD
06-03-2022, 07:17 AM
Brings the Nasty on defense and offense with athleticism and strength. Saw a couple of clips where he's at a combine workout and monotonously putting down catch and shoot 3s. If he's there at 20, a no-brainer because he's a gym rat who brings a work ethic to fix his problems.

Is he a gym rat with a high work ethic?

I think part of the concern with him is that he gives off a space cadet vibe.

pad300
06-03-2022, 12:39 PM
Is he a gym rat with a high work ethic?

I think part of the concern with him is that he gives off a space cadet vibe.

I agree with you about the "space cadet vibe", but as far as gym rat goes, he's made big changes in his game (for the better) from his freshman year in Cincy to his sophmore year with LSU... So he has definitely put some work in.

Gibbz
06-03-2022, 01:49 PM
Beyond his great measurements, I think it's not mentioned enough just how productive he was at LSU last season. The only players in the draft with comparable BPM and WS/48 are Chet Holmgren and Keegan Murray, who are #2 and probably top 6. He has his problems (potential turnover and foul rates), but I don't see why someone wouldn't take him in the lottery.

wildbill2u
06-03-2022, 02:07 PM
If we're gonna take a wild swing for the fences pick, this is my guy. I bet if he does something great and Pop starts poking him in the chest, a la Kwahi, what's gonna happen is Pop will probably break a finger and Eason is gonna take it up as his direction to great improvement. NObody else brings that significant excitement about his game upside that we could hope to draft. He's that wild stallion we need with lots of tools.

R. DeMurre
06-03-2022, 02:23 PM
Word is he's dropping and Terry is rising.

Again, this board is fascinated with these defensive forwards, but if they can't become credible enough 3-point threats for the defense to regard them, they become virtually unplayable in a playoff setting.

That's true a good part of the time, but the Scottie Barnes/Brandon Clarke types do exist, who do so many things well that they can be valuable without being three point threats... And of course, Giannis exists.

Drom John
06-03-2022, 03:01 PM
Top 9 from Pelton's pre-NCAA tournament stat ratings of potential draftees.

1) Chet Holmgren
2) Walker Kessler
3) AJ Griffin
4) Keegan Murray
5) Tari Eason
6) Zach Edey
7) Dyson Daniels
8) Jabari Smith
9) Jeremy Sochan

exstatic
06-03-2022, 03:57 PM
Such a fascinating player: impact stats through the roof, tons of blocks and steals, good shooting percentages, godawful assist-to-turnover ratio (1.0:2.2), high foul rate, best defender on his team by far... the good seems to greatly outweigh the bad, but there are also some red flags in terms of decision making. It'll be interesting to see what teams do if he drops. He gets compared to Jeremy Sochan a lot as a pesky uber versatile defender, and one very interesting scenario could occur if Sochan drops to 13, where Charlotte could take him and also Eason two picks later at 15. Some might say they overlap too much, but I think the idea of grabbing two of the potentially best defenders in the draft (at 6'8 and 6'9) might positively change the complexion of that team, especially if Sochan is eventually capable of playing some minutes as a small ball center.

That right there would be a reason SA would pass. They’re always looking for secondary creators. I looked back at his year in Cincy and he had a negative asst/TO rate there, too. It wasn’t an aberration or a function of transferring to a new program.

TD 21
06-03-2022, 04:07 PM
That's true a good part of the time, but the Scottie Barnes/Brandon Clarke types do exist, who do so many things well that they can be valuable without being three point threats... And of course, Giannis exists.

Barnes has some point forward skills, Clarke is a rim runner and Antetokounmpo is an Antetokounmpo.

Mr. Body
06-03-2022, 10:32 PM
It's crazy how productive Eason is. A year older than Kawhi when they both left as sophomores, but beats him almost everywhere and in all advanced stats.

https://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=tari-eason--kawhi-leonard

What Stephen Jackson was with shooting and perimeter play, Eason might be in general -- he's going to win and lose games all by himself.

KingKev
06-04-2022, 05:45 AM
It's crazy how productive Eason is. A year older than Kawhi when they both left as sophomores, but beats him almost everywhere and in all advanced stats.

https://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=tari-eason--kawhi-leonard

What Stephen Jackson was with shooting and perimeter play, Eason might be in general -- he's going to win and lose games all by himself.

I like that comparison. He looks like a poor man’s PG13. Would love him at 20.

The Truth #6
06-04-2022, 01:00 PM
It seems crazy to me he is getting mocked so low, and Sochan so high, at least in comparison to each other. Sochan will probably be a good shooter in the end, but may not. Whereas Eason shot 80% from the free throw line this year. I guess we'll see what happens on draft day.

John B
06-04-2022, 01:14 PM
It seems crazy to me he is getting mocked so low, and Sochan so high, at least in comparison to each other. Sochan will probably be a good shooter in the end, but may not. Whereas Eason shot 80% from the free throw line this year. I guess we'll see what happens on draft day.

You add Davis to that, you have an overachieving core of Murray, Davis and Eason.

CGD
06-04-2022, 01:46 PM

The only explanation I have is that there is something not right between the ears with him. Not fatal, but also enough to draw flags like inability to quickly read plays, etc., ala Lonnie Walker.

Russ
06-04-2022, 01:59 PM
Eason looks like a very Spursian project. Size, physical tools, good motor. A raw chunk of stone to work on.

But how high do you take him?

The Truth #6
06-04-2022, 02:31 PM
For me, 9. He seems way better of a prospect than Duren, as far as defensive players who need to grow their game.

I’m ok with Sochan, too, and Mathurin, and Davis, and Jalen Williams. I suppose my comment is trying to understand the discrepancy between Sochan and Eason. Eason is wild, but wildly productive. If it’s only that he’s quirky, man, it’s not like he’s a Luka Shit Sammich, so to speak. He communicates; he’s verbal. If anything maybe he’s slightly on the spectrum and a bit odd, but doesn’t seem anything like Kawhi personality wise, but with just as much upside, if not more. His measurements are prototypical for the modern NBA.

Anyway…

BackHome
06-04-2022, 02:53 PM
Yeah, one thing you can't say is that he is not a hard worker or is not a team type of guy. He is a top defender and you don't become that way by being lazy and he played well within the system as far as buying into team defense. He has a lot of potential but that word "Potential" has gotten a lot of GM's fired - As far as his personality, attitude, I just think he is a little weird not in a bad way just in a way I could see him playing Warhammer with a bunch of nerds and having a great time.

As as I said before he has the potential to end up being the one of the top 3 players of this draft in a couple of years, and he also could be a huge dud - It's either a homerun or strike out with him so I would not take him at 9 but if he fell to 20 or we were able to move up I would look at getting him

R. DeMurre
06-04-2022, 03:34 PM
I really want to find more info on what happened in Eason's world between his year in Cincinnati, where he was a 24% shooter from three and had upside down advanced stats, and LSU, where he shot 36% from three and posted some of the best advanced stats in the entire country. That's a strange scenario.

offset formation
06-04-2022, 04:24 PM
Eason looks like a very Spursian project. Size, physical tools, good motor. A raw chunk of stone to work on.

But how high do you take him?

Not until 20, but definitely at 20. And absolutely by 25.

I think Dieng and Jovic are also musts at 20 and 25 if still available, so I think you take the player that remains of those 5 (including Daniels and Sochan) that's still on the board. Though I don't think Dieng stays on the board much past 9, so he might need to be taken then.

KingKev
06-04-2022, 10:42 PM
I really want to find more info on what happened in Eason's world between his year in Cincinnati, where he was a 24% shooter from three and had upside down advanced stats, and LSU, where he shot 36% from three and posted some of the best advanced stats in the entire country. That's a strange scenario.

Maybe advanced stats don’t really mean much for 20mins a game, 50 games total? Just a thought.

RC_Drunkford
06-05-2022, 04:21 PM
I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't get him. Honestly my favorite option at PF after Keegan Murray

Ariel
06-05-2022, 06:03 PM
Not until 20, but definitely at 20. And absolutely by 25.

I think Dieng and Jovic are also musts at 20 and 25 if still available, so I think you take the player that remains of those 5 (including Daniels and Sochan) that's still on the board. Though I don't think Dieng stays on the board much past 9, so he might need to be taken then.
He's really unlikely to last to 20. Combo forwards with his size, athleticism and versatility are much harder to come by, and more valuable than similar level guards. If we want him we're going to have to trade up 5 spots or so, almost certainly. I think that's something we need to address, and we have the means to do so, I'd be disappointed if we don't.

Big Empty
06-05-2022, 06:12 PM
If Mathurin isnt available at 9, Im ok with this guy at 9

Uriel
06-05-2022, 09:04 PM
Why is Eason a better prospect than Sochan?

Dex
06-06-2022, 09:50 AM
the claw 2.0? (hand size wise)

You know what they say about big hands, right?

It makes it really hard to buy gloves.

rascal
06-06-2022, 10:30 AM
Why is Eason a better prospect than Sochan?.

Eason is better offfensively, shoots better and is more athletic, better vertical jumper, better shot blocker, plays with more fire and energy.
Sochan's FT% is bad and will be off the floor in a close end game as will be a liability if he doesn't improve that area.

Eason steals are slightly better but fouls a bit more than Sochan, rebounds are similar.

I'd rather have Eason if the Spurs can make a trade with Charlotte for 13 or 15 than Sochan.

rjv
06-06-2022, 10:36 AM
You know what they say about big hands, right?

It makes it really hard to buy gloves.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCzBZRg1VSYWEMmTfVmtAhecCGG6CU0 kA6jw&usqp=CAU

duncan2150
06-06-2022, 10:46 AM
https://twitter.com/JoshuaBRobbins/status/1533832332540616704

The Truth #6
06-06-2022, 11:42 AM
Tari seems to want to play for San Antonio based on prior comments. That’s at least a good starting point.

His shooting percentage is solid but the form needs to be redone it seems. It’s low and off center which causes issues when going left and trying to get a shot off. In a related note, he is super right hand dominant, which may be his biggest offensive challenge and needs to work on his left.

So it’s odd: Sochan’s form looks better but the effectiveness is much worse.

Eason has incredible hands, though. At least in strength. In the highlights there are several clips where he sticks his mitts onto the ball and the offensive player just stops in their tracks while driving, sometimes at full speed. It’s unreal.

Big picture: you want a player to develop and build up, this is the guy. Even with no left and at best average handles, he still gets to the free throw line a ton, and with odd mechanics still knocks down 80%.

His improvement curve is great.

To me it’s a no brainer. Perhaps the best defender in the class for a floor, and a super high ceiling. Plays hard. Obviously crazy work ethic. Wants to play in SA. Oh, but he’s quirky, so yeah, maybe not. Right.

Ariel
06-06-2022, 11:52 AM
https://twitter.com/JoshuaBRobbins/status/1533832332540616704

LSU's Tari Eason said he has upcoming workouts scheduled with Cleveland, Memphis and San Antonio. He said he's already worked out for Minnesota, Charlotte, Atlanta, Chicago, Oklahoma City and New York. This morning, he worked out with Washington.
https://twitter.com/JoshuaBRobbins/status/1533833474901254144

LSU's Tari Eason said he also has one more upcoming workout scheduled in addition to the ones listed below: Houston.
That's basically EVERYONE from 9 to 20, plus 22. He's not lasting till 20.

The Truth #6
06-06-2022, 12:09 PM
https://twitter.com/JoshuaBRobbins/status/1533833474901254144

That's basically EVERYONE from 9 to 20, plus 22. He's not lasting till 20.

It's a good point. Also, this could be a case where the mocks don't have the player rated the same as the actual teams. That could be true for anyone, obviously, but we'll find out where teams actually have him rated once we get to the draft. In my opinion, if we don't go for him at 9 (which there are reasons to go for other players, too), I do hope the FO is pursuing opportunities to move up and to get him after 9.

Mr. Body
06-06-2022, 12:37 PM
Tari seems to want to play for San Antonio based on prior comments. That’s at least a good starting point.

His shooting percentage is solid but the form needs to be redone it seems. It’s low and off center which causes issues when going left and trying to get a shot off. In a related note, he is super right hand dominant, which may be his biggest offensive challenge and needs to work on his left.

So it’s odd: Sochan’s form looks better but the effectiveness is much worse.

Eason has incredible hands, though. At least in strength. In the highlights there are several clips where he sticks his mitts onto the ball and the offensive player just stops in their tracks while driving, sometimes at full speed. It’s unreal.

Big picture: you want a player to develop and build up, this is the guy. Even with no left and at best average handles, he still gets to the free throw line a ton, and with odd mechanics still knocks down 80%.

His improvement curve is great.

To me it’s a no brainer. Perhaps the best defender in the class for a floor, and a super high ceiling. Plays hard. Obviously crazy work ethic. Wants to play in SA. Oh, but he’s quirky, so yeah, maybe not. Right.

To be fair, Eason is more than two years older than Sochan. Also, Sochan's shooting numbers (fg, 3pt, even ft%) as a freshman were all better than Eason's were when he was a freshman.

The Truth #6
06-06-2022, 12:50 PM
To be fair, Eason is more than two years older than Sochan. Also, Sochan's shooting numbers (fg, 3pt, even ft%) as a freshman were all better than Eason's were when he was a freshman.

Fair point. To me, I’d lean towards the guy who has already shown a track of great progress over the guy we want and hope to make similar improvement. But I like both and hope we end up with one of them somehow.

rascal
06-06-2022, 02:34 PM

Eason has more burst, athleticism, is more of a powerful active player. Has a higher overall upside.
Plays with more heart and fire than Sochan.

Sochan is better defensively. Sochan moves his feet and covers ground on defense. Sochan's strength is defense.

The Truth #6
06-06-2022, 02:48 PM
Eason has more burst, athleticism, is more of a powerful active player. Has a higher overall upside.
Plays with more heart and fire than Sochan.

Sochan is better defensively. Sochan moves his feet and covers ground on defense. Sochan's strength is defense.

Arguably, they are different types of defenders, though both about the same height and both can cover 1-5, somewhat. I'd say Sochan plays preventive defense and Eason gets more defensive events (blocks and steals). Sochan is probably the safer defender, whereas Eason gambles more and uses defense to turn into transition offense. I think Sochan plays with fire too but probably has better defensive fundamentals.

I still like Eason better.

rascal
06-06-2022, 02:55 PM
Arguably, they are different types of defenders, though both about the same height and both can cover 1-5, somewhat. I'd say Sochan plays preventive defense and Eason gets more defensive events (blocks and steals). Sochan is probably the safer defender, whereas Eason gambles more and uses defense to turn into transition offense. I think Sochan plays with fire too but probably has better defensive fundamentals.

I like Eason better.
More explosive and more burst to the basket, better finisher with better vertical athleticism, also has better ability to go full court on the dribble to the basket off a steal or long rebound.

Eason has more offensive upside. Sochan's offensive upside is more capped because he has less athleticism.

Degoat
06-06-2022, 03:34 PM
I think I likeDieng, Jovic, and Liddell more than Eason and Sochan tbh lol

wildbill2u
06-06-2022, 07:07 PM
Tari Eason Scouting Report, Outlook, Best Team Fits | 2022 NBA Draft - Bing video (https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tari+eason+scouting+report&ru=%2fvideos%2fsearch%3fq%3dtari%2beason%2bscoutin g%2breport%26qpvt%3dtari%2beason%2bscouting%2brepo rt%26FORM%3dVDRE&qpvt=tari+eason+scouting+report&view=detail&mid=E0543DEDAE761BBF6902E0543DEDAE761BBF6902&&FORM=VDRVSR)

Latest video report I could find. These two guys put him at 12-16 and 19. They also note that almost any of the teams outside of the first 10 picks could be a potential draft spot for him. . We've never had a front line guy with so much defensive athleticism along with size, insane wingspan, high motor and huge hands. I saw a video workout where he was knocking down 3s cconsistently. I know workouts aren't the real thing but he did shoot 38% 3s and 80% FTs so I'm gonna give him and Chip the benefit of the doubt. After all, Kwahi couldn't shoot when he came in the league. His upside is so high if he can develop his already passable shooting that he might tempt me at 9. Shit.

He's not gonna be there at 20 IMO.

offset formation
06-06-2022, 08:19 PM

I'd be elated with either one of them...at 20. Just think 9 is atad early.

The Truth #6
06-08-2022, 06:49 PM
In the end, the Spurs might not be a good fit for him. I mean, Tari will have to come in with high confidence to withstand Pop getting all over him for being undisciplined. In that sense, it's definitely a high risk/reward type scenario. Dieng probably feels more like a Spurs type player with European team first upbringing and whatever insider chisme Tony Parker may nor may not be giving them. Still, I can't help but want to see Eason succeed and ideally with the Spurs. If he really does start falling, then hopefully they could get him at 20, but they might still pass on him then for EJ Lidell, or something like that. My gut feeling is that he isn't what the Spurs want.

tonight...you
06-08-2022, 06:55 PM

Eason is better offfensively, shoots better and is more athletic, better vertical jumper, better shot blocker, plays with more fire and energy.
Sochan's FT% is bad and will be off the floor in a close end game as will be a liability if he doesn't improve that area.

Eason steals are slightly better but fouls a bit more than Sochan, rebounds are similar.

I'd rather have Eason if the Spurs can make a trade with Charlotte for 13 or 15 than Sochan.
He's also a space cadet when it comes to organized play and fouls by the bushels.

PhantomDashCam
06-08-2022, 07:29 PM

rascal
06-08-2022, 07:56 PM
In the end, the Spurs might not be a good fit for him. I mean, Tari will have to come in with high confidence to withstand Pop getting all over him for being undisciplined. In that sense, it's definitely a high risk/reward type scenario. Dieng probably feels more like a Spurs type player with European team first upbringing and whatever insider chisme Tony Parker may nor may not be giving them. Still, I can't help but want to see Eason succeed and ideally with the Spurs. If he really does start falling, then hopefully they could get him at 20, but they might still pass on him then for EJ Lidell, or something like that. My gut feeling is that he isn't what the Spurs want.

Spur fans over rate French players because of Parker. Few turn out very good.

duncan2150
06-09-2022, 11:35 AM
https://twitter.com/MadManLeaks/status/1534894472559005698

Mr. Body
06-09-2022, 11:39 AM

What we've been saying for a while.

John B
06-09-2022, 12:34 PM

That’s good. Just keeps falling to 20. But hopefully the Spurs gets to interview him and what makes him tick. Even Pop’s impression on Tim was that he just stared at him and didn’t seem to understand a word he said :lol

mo7888
06-09-2022, 12:55 PM
That’s good. Just keeps falling to 20. But hopefully the Spurs gets to interview him and what makes him tick. Even Pop’s impression on Tim was that he just stared at him and didn’t seem to understand a word he said :lol

Nobody ever thought Timmy had a low bbiq....they aren't comparable..

John B
06-09-2022, 01:09 PM
Nobody ever thought Timmy had a low bbiq....they aren't comparable..

I didn’t say that. It just Pop commented that he’s talking to Tim and Tim’s face was expressionless. While it’s worth noting that Tim almost got red shirted on his first year in Wake Forest. So first impressions could be deceiving.

Mr. Body
06-09-2022, 01:20 PM
The point here isn't that Eason is quiet or weird or not conversational. It's that when they sit down and look at game video and talk about what they see, he's unable to respond or discuss at an expected level.

exstatic
06-09-2022, 01:33 PM
I wouldn’t put a ton of stock into his 3 pt. Shooting. It was only 2.4 atts per game for his good year.

As for the 20 minutes advanced stats thing, Brandon Clarke plays about that and is the advanced stats darling of the NBA.

Ariel
06-09-2022, 01:35 PM
The point here isn't that Eason is quiet or weird or not conversational. It's that when they sit down and look at game video and talk about what they see, he's unable to respond or discuss at an expected level.
Teams do have access to information we don't, so if they pass on him because of SERIOUS medical or other concerns, you'd have to trust they made the right call given resources available to them. But sometimes there's a lot of BS flying around, so it also wouldn't surprise me if someone throws this stuff around purposefully to lower his stock.

Mr. Body
06-09-2022, 01:47 PM
Teams do have access to information we don't, so if they pass on him because of SERIOUS medical or other concerns, you'd have to trust they made the right call given resources available to them. But sometimes there's a lot of BS flying around, so it also wouldn't surprise me if someone throws this stuff around purposefully to lower his stock.

Yeah, only this is what LSU fans have been saying. There's a reason he came off the bench. It's okay to admire a player, but his BB IQ issues are real.

The Truth #6
06-09-2022, 02:05 PM
Yet his production statistically was undeniable. It’s a complicated situation. If these rumors are true and he’s falling then grab him later.

exstatic
06-09-2022, 02:07 PM

[The Spurs floated a fake heart condition for Batum, and had him withhold his medial records. Just sayin...]

Mr. Body
06-09-2022, 02:10 PM
[The Spurs floated a fake heart condition for Batum, and had him withhold his medial records. Just sayin...]

Impressively vast conspiracy originating from LSU faithful and spreading to other NBA teams' evaluators just to benefit San Antonio. We appreciate it!

south side spur
06-09-2022, 05:39 PM

https://www.si.com/college/lsu/basketball/tari-eason-going-through-pre-draft-process-update-on-who-he-has-worked-out-for

Eason has upcoming workouts scheduled with Cleveland, Memphis and San Antonio. In addition to his upcoming workouts, the LSU star has already worked out for Minnesota, Charlotte, Atlanta, Chicago, Oklahoma City, Washington and New York.

KingKev
06-09-2022, 07:01 PM
In a year where we have multiple picks taking a flier Eason makes alot of sense.

CGD
06-09-2022, 07:11 PM
Not a fan of space cadets man, still at 20 it may be hard to pass up.

Maddog
06-09-2022, 07:49 PM
Why did he transfer after 1year.
I know college athletes do this now, but is that a red flag?
I don't really follow college sports so not sure what to make of it.

John B
06-09-2022, 08:42 PM
I would be thrilled if Eason landed at 20. He’s a low risk, stratosphere high reward reward if he pans out. The guy could be a Rodman, Jimmy Butler, ultra-athletic defensive guy. Keep dropping :lol

offset formation
06-09-2022, 09:01 PM
Yet his production statistically was undeniable. It’s a complicated situation. If these rumors are true and he’s falling then grab him later.

This. Plus it doesn't take into account any potential misdirection from interested teams OR Tari's desires to not be taken by any particular teams.

To me, I look at his development between his freshman and sophomore years as well as his efficiency and productivity. And I say skipping him at 20 would be a foolhardy decision.

Ariel
06-09-2022, 09:11 PM
If the interviews go well and this is mostly BS, trade up to get him. But if he dances around naked clucking like a chicken... just take him with 25 :D

Mr. Body
06-09-2022, 09:14 PM
This. Plus it doesn't take into account any potential misdirection from interested teams OR Tari's desires to not be taken by any particular teams.

This isn't misdirection, motherfuckin'LOL. I don't know why you people are having such a hard time with this. This has been the book on Eason from the start and people who actually know how he plays. I'm not saying don't draft him, I'm saying he's really bad about understanding what sets and plays of any sophistication are.

The Truth #6
06-09-2022, 11:34 PM
Ehh, it’s all speculation. Was Yak going to be traded to CHA? Does Eason, seemingly an articulate and intelligent guy, have difficulty speaking intelligently about the intricacies of basketball because he plays intuitively? There’s barely ever proof, so to speak in rumors. To me its all speculation. And that’s ok, it’s expected.

rascal
06-10-2022, 12:12 AM
I want to see some exciting offensive players on the Spurs, not a team trying to primarily win with defense and lagging behind their opponents athletically. Murray is the only one who can push the ball up court.

New Orleans looked more athletic than the Spurs in the play-in game. The spurs had no one who was able to be a go to shot creator to break down a defense in that game.

If you don't have athleticism and top scorers at the 2 and 3 which the Spurs don't have then you need to get some scoring punch out of the 4.

rankingtear
06-10-2022, 12:12 AM
Looks like his teammates don't like him now the executives don't. Still early 20 guy based on tools.

offset formation
06-10-2022, 12:16 AM
Ehh, it’s all speculation. Was Yak going to be traded to CHA? Does Eason, seemingly an articulate and intelligent guy, have difficulty speaking intelligently about the intricacies of basketball because he plays intuitively? There’s barely ever proof, so to speak in rumors. To me its all speculation. And that’s ok, it’s expected.

Which is precisely why you weight production higher than some supposed lack of BBIQ some "interviewers" claim he's not exhibiting. Of course, PATFO always has and will do their due diligence on the guy. He comes off as a hard worker which also rates highly on my board. And I've had a pretty good track record of saying who will be good in the NBA, pre-draft.

In fact I've listed 6 or 7 guys the Spurs cannot pass up if they're on the board when it comes to their time on the clock. How the Spurs have these guys rated I will defer to simply because they have a LOT more information than we do...but that also doesn't mean they'll always be right. Samanich is a great example. And though I expect Primo to eventually have an above average NBA career, I expect him to be an ultimate disappointment based on what Spurs fans expected/wanted/needed based on the brilliant PATFO taking him a year ahead of time. He'll be a solid NBA player for at least a decade. At the 3.

Tari has a higher ceiling and floor than Primo, imo.

offset formation
06-10-2022, 12:20 AM
I want to see some exciting offensive players on the Spurs, not a team trying to primarily win with defense and lagging behind their opponents athletically. Murray is the only one who can push the ball up court.

New Orleans looked more athletic than the Spurs in the play-in game. The spurs had no one who was able to be a go to shot creator to break down a defense in that game.

If you don't have athleticism and top scorers at the 2 and 3 which the Spurs don't have then you need to get some scoring punch out of the 4.

EVERYONE looked, er, scratch that, IS more athletic than we are. We have become small, un-atheletic, and easy to score upon. 2 of the 3 of which would have made Pop's skin crawl a decade ago.

R. DeMurre
06-10-2022, 12:22 AM
Eason fouled out of one game with 5 fouls in 7 minutes, and another where he picked up 5 fouls in 13 minutes. The impressive impact stats are legit, but the reputation for being foul prone is also real. He fouled out of 6 games total, all against the better SEC opponents. LSU was 22-12 overall, but only 9-9 against other SEC teams.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2022-02-23-21-kentucky.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2022-01-12-19-florida.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/tari-eason-1/gamelog/2022

offset formation
06-10-2022, 12:29 AM
This isn't misdirection, motherfuckin'LOL. I don't know why you people are having such a hard time with this. This has been the book on Eason from the start and people who actually know how he plays. I'm not saying don't draft him, I'm saying he's really bad about understanding what sets and plays of any sophistication are.

So why wouldn't you say don't draft him, if you're so down on his BBIQ? Have the courage of your convictions.

I'm saying, for the record, that if any of these guys available, you take them in something approximating this order: Murray, Mathurian, Dieng, Eason, Jovic, Daniels, Sochan, Procida, you take them when your 9, 20, and 25 spots come up. I'd happily take Cock burn, Procida, Nzosa at 38 to round out a franchise-changing draft.

So tell me why Eason is a bad draft pick and stick to it.

offset formation
06-10-2022, 12:32 AM
Eason fouled out of one game with 5 fouls in 7 minutes, and another where he picked up 5 fouls in 13 minutes. The impressive impact stats are legit, but the reputation for being foul prone is also real. He fouled out of 6 games total, all against the better SEC opponents. LSU was 22-12 overall, but only 9-9 against other SEC teams.

Did you see that interview with DWhite on the biggest change he's had since going to the Celtics?

It was that unlike with Pop, where he'd lose his shit, Ime Udoka doesn't mind fouls so long as they are in effort of being aggressive. White said he had to reassert his aggression in a different manner than he was allowed to do with SA.

Point being, sometimes, that fouling is a good sign of defensive intensity and effort. And of course that is coachable to an extent.

rascal
06-10-2022, 12:40 AM

That's his weakness and he has to learn. You give Sochan a pass on his poor shooting.

R. DeMurre
06-10-2022, 12:59 AM
That's his weakness and he has to learn. You give Sochan a pass on his poor shooting.

I'm not saying it's a deal breaker-- just pointing out that the criticism is understandable, and justified.

Mr. Body
06-10-2022, 01:31 AM
So why wouldn't you say don't draft him, if you're so down on his BBIQ? Have the courage of your convictions.

I'm saying, for the record, that if any of these guys available, you take them in something approximating this order: Murray, Mathurian, Dieng, Eason, Jovic, Daniels, Sochan, Procida, you take them when your 9, 20, and 25 spots come up. I'd happily take Cock burn, Procida, Nzosa at 38 to round out a franchise-changing draft.

So tell me why Eason is a bad draft pick and stick to it.

Because he's talented and at some point on the x/y axis the talent of remaining undrafted players is overcome by the combination of his talent and lack of BBIQ. Like, I might take him instead of LaRavia, definitely before Houstan. I'm not sure why that's hard to conceptualize. I'd take him in the 20s because he's very productive. You just have to bring him off the bench and hope he's not completely wild that game.

Mr. Body
06-10-2022, 01:34 AM

A lot of his turnovers were offensive fouls -- charges. He's basically a bull in the china shop. He barrels into the lane and is prone to plowing over defenders.

John B
06-10-2022, 08:22 AM
Come on. Spurs took Primo at 12, but you wouldn’t take Eason at 20? :lmao

wildbill2u
06-11-2022, 11:46 AM
All this talk about BBIQ makes me wonder where Keldon ranked on BBIQ coming in as a rookie? Bull in a china shop maybe??? Clueless about the on-court situation of other players??? At any rate, although I'm not a fan of his, I will stipulate that he has improved his BBIQ SOME since becoming a starter, probably due to coaching.

I still believe that there is something to be said for an athletically skilled player who plays mostly on instinct as opposed to a cerebral player who analyzes the game situation and acts. Of course there are some who are a little slow with their analysis and miss the high IQ play. This is a game of inches and split seconds. We have seen a few players who seem to get the idea but are just a split second or two late in executiing while an instinctive player just makes the play instantly.

While it would be great to have a player who could discuss the finer points of Xs and Os and what he would/should do in a certain situation if it came up with a scout or coach off the court, he wouldn't be my top pick over a guy who can simply execute his skill-set without being able to discuss why he thought his opponent was slightly out of position and he could take him. You just "know" that you can make the steal or whatever and do it without thinking, eh?

BackHome
06-11-2022, 06:37 PM
EVERYONE looked, er, scratch that, IS more athletic than we are. We have become small, un-atheletic, and easy to score upon. 2 of the 3 of which would have made Pop's skin crawl a decade ago.

I watched our Play In loss to New Orleans and one thing that stood out is that we looked short and slow compared to most of there players. It seemed that when Tre was out there he looked like a Hobbit and Primo looked like a Dwarf compared to the players they were trying to guard

wildbill2u
06-11-2022, 07:25 PM
Spreaking of Tre Jones. According to Basketball Reference he is only one inch shorter than Tony Parker, but has a lot of trouble getting his shot off against taller players. I don't recall Tony having that much of a problem, even when he went down among the trees. Anyone want to discuss why Tre Jones should remain a Spur or should be replaced as backup PG asap. Aside from his shooting problems he hasn't really sold me on his defensive talents either.

rankingtear
06-11-2022, 07:37 PM
Spreaking of Tre Jones. According to Basketball Reference he is only one inch shorter than Tony Parker, but has a lot of trouble getting his shot off against taller players. I don't recall Tony having that much of a problem, even when he went down among the trees. Anyone want to discuss why Tre Jones should remain a Spur or should be replaced as backup PG asap. Aside from his shooting problems he hasn't really sold me on his defensive talents either.
Yeah Tre Jones is not a hall of famer.

tonight...you
06-11-2022, 07:41 PM
To be fair, Tony was an all-time HOF'er when it came to scoring amongst the redwoods for his size.

Very high bar in that regard.

slick'81
06-11-2022, 08:15 PM
To be fair, Tony was an all-time HOF'er when it came to scoring amongst the redwoods for his size.

Very high bar in that regard.

yea his finishing was too notch but he is also quicker then jones

wildbill2u
06-11-2022, 08:40 PM
Perhaps I didn't make my point clear. Tony was so superiour in so many ways. You would think that the coaching staff would have been able to read Tre's skill set adaptability to the NBA a little better. Granted they didn't take him with their first pick, but we have a plethora of guards to try and fit into a NBA roster. Just sayin he was a stretch for them to pick IMO.

Mr. Body
06-11-2022, 08:46 PM
Come on. Spurs took Primo at 12, but you wouldn’t take Eason at 20? :lmao

They're like completely opposite players.

John B
06-11-2022, 09:11 PM
They're like completely opposite players.

The return value of Eason at 20 is so much more than a 3 years project Primo at 12. You draft Eason if he falls at 20.

exstatic
06-11-2022, 09:26 PM

If you’re discussing cutting a guy who doesn’t measure up to a sure fire hall of famer, we need to dump our entire roster.

Perhaps your standards are a bit unrealistic.

exstatic
06-11-2022, 09:27 PM
Perhaps I didn't make my point clear. Tony was so superiour in so many ways. You would think that the coaching staff would have been able to read Tre's skill set adaptability to the NBA a little better. Granted they didn't take him with their first pick, but we have a plethora of guards to try and fit into a NBA roster. Just sayin he was a stretch for them to pick IMO.

It isn’t even possible to be a stretch at #41. Unpossible.

Uriel
06-12-2022, 06:44 AM
If we draft a center or guard at #9, I would be thrilled with Eason at #20. But if we pick him at #9, or if we pick him at #20 after already drafting a Sochan at #9, I would be very upset.

rankingtear
06-12-2022, 07:25 AM
Not at 9 too low feel and no pull up. He is similar to Precious and McDaniels athletic defensive events bench guys. Late teens to early twenties. I like Beauchamp more with that archetype.

rascal
06-12-2022, 07:30 AM

Spurs are probably the most dull team in the league by the players they target.

Four or five teams tanked the last couple of months of the season and the Spurs passed them. Spurs need to change the unathletic aspect of the team.

RC_Drunkford
06-12-2022, 08:35 AM

Dejounte Murray is only 2 inches shorter than Michael Jordan. Why he can't be Michael Jordan is a mystery to me

RC_Drunkford
06-12-2022, 08:36 AM
Spurs are probably the most dull team in the league by the players they target.

Four or five teams tanked the last couple of months of the season and the Spurs passed them. Spurs need to change the unathletic aspect of the team.

that will only happen once we change the headcoach. We are talking about a guy who picked Mason Plumlee over Bam Adebayo

The Truth #6
06-12-2022, 10:04 AM
All this talk about BBIQ makes me wonder where Keldon ranked on BBIQ coming in as a rookie? Bull in a china shop maybe??? Clueless about the on-court situation of other players??? At any rate, although I'm not a fan of his, I will stipulate that he has improved his BBIQ SOME since becoming a starter, probably due to coaching.

I still believe that there is something to be said for an athletically skilled player who plays mostly on instinct as opposed to a cerebral player who analyzes the game situation and acts. Of course there are some who are a little slow with their analysis and miss the high IQ play. This is a game of inches and split seconds. We have seen a few players who seem to get the idea but are just a split second or two late in executiing while an instinctive player just makes the play instantly.

While it would be great to have a player who could discuss the finer points of Xs and Os and what he would/should do in a certain situation if it came up with a scout or coach off the court, he wouldn't be my top pick over a guy who can simply execute his skill-set without being able to discuss why he thought his opponent was slightly out of position and he could take him. You just "know" that you can make the steal or whatever and do it without thinking, eh?

Solid points. Is Eason reckless? It seems so. But he’s definitely instinctual. If his instincts are more helpful than not, I think he could make it work here. The problem is our coaching approach is often so memorized and mechanical, it befuddles most players. Even on the Olympic team, the players seemed to push back, though that could be for other reasons as well.

I suppose I’d rather for a player with instincts to learn the finer points than start with a complete blank slate and expect to teach them motivation (looking at you Walker, unfortunately).

I’m back on Team Tari.

John B
06-12-2022, 12:16 PM
Solid points. Is Eason reckless? It seems so. But he’s definitely instinctual. If his instincts are more helpful than not, I think he could make it work here. The problem is our coaching approach is often so memorized and mechanical, it befuddles most players. Even on the Olympic team, the players seemed to push back, though that could be for other reasons as well.

I suppose I’d rather for a player with instincts to learn the finer points than start with a complete blank slate and expect to teach them motivation (looking at you Walker, unfortunately).

I’m back on Team Tari.

But I’m Tari. That’s what I do….

Personally if his drive is to win, I have no problem with that, and I don’t think neither would Pop.

The Truth #6
06-12-2022, 06:14 PM
But I’m Tari. That’s what I do….

Personally if his drive is to win, I have no problem with that, and I don’t think neither would Pop.

Yeah, it will be interesting. An idea I've been thinking about is which type of player will do best under Pop. For example, most people see Mathurin as a more talented, higher ceiling player than Davis, and probably true, but I think Davis would be a better fit with Pop due to playing better defense and having a better understanding of basketball. As for Eason, it could go a few different directions. The direction I hope is that Eason is so effective when he plays (at least defensively), that Pop finds a way to make it work. Like, when Eason plays his problems seem to be from being overly aggressive and not having certain needed skills (like a functioning left hand and proper shooting mechanics), rather than being specifically clueless or an airhead, despite what these rumors are saying. It's the silly season and lots of narratives are going to get floated around and GMs are too happy to feed stories to journalists to get them in a story.

Drom John
06-13-2022, 09:49 AM
In Pelton's final stats only ratings, Eason still sits 5th. The only change in the top nine is the removal of Zach Edey at 6, everybody else here moving up a spot.

1 Holmgren, Chet
2 Kessler, Walker
3 Griffin, AJ
4 Murray, Keegan
5 Eason, Tari
6 Daniels, Dyson
7 Smith, Jabari
8 Jeremy Sochan
9 Mathurin, Ben

The Truth #6
06-14-2022, 09:56 AM
In Pelton's final stats only ratings, Eason still sits 5th. The only change in the top nine is the removal of Zach Edey at 6, everybody else here moving up a spot.

1 Holmgren, Chet
2 Kessler, Walker
3 Griffin, AJ
4 Murray, Keegan
5 Eason, Tari
6 Daniels, Dyson
7 Smith, Jabari
8 Jeremy Sochan
9 Mathurin, Ben

That's an interesting list. Kessler seems like the obvious outlier, but then with Eason, depending on one's view of him, this list either confirms you're belief in him or makes you question this list, I suppose.

Mr. Body
06-14-2022, 10:03 AM
That's an interesting list. Kessler seems like the obvious outlier, but then with Eason, depending on one's view of him, this list either confirms you're belief in him or makes you question this list, I suppose.

Kessler's stats are pretty crazy. His block rate was nearly 20% and then he added a fairly high steal rate, too. The monster issue, of course, is his defense in space.

wildbill2u
06-14-2022, 10:48 PM
A lot of his turnovers were offensive fouls -- charges. He's basically a bull in the china shop. He barrels into the lane and is prone to plowing over defenders.

Does that sound like Keldon Johnson to anyone here? He toned it down toward the end of the year, no doubt because the coaches kept yanking him out of the game and sitting him on the bench to reflect on his sins. He also had some serious passing problems when barreling into the lane. Eason looks much better in such situations because he's taller and can use that huge wingspan/hands to help make more accurate passes.

Eason is going to become a good scorer. He shows flashes now of what an offensive threat he can be. Add some credit for his defense and he is probably the ONLY forward we can draft that has high ceilings on both ends of the court.

Perfect? No but there aren't any perfect two way players in this draft. Some good ones; probably some future All-stars, but not many with two-way potential. I'm down to these three for our 9: Eason, J Williams, and Duren. If we wound up with all 3 it would be called the Spurs' Miracle Draft of 2022.

wildbill2u
06-14-2022, 10:54 PM
A lot of his turnovers were offensive fouls -- charges. He's basically a bull in the china shop. He barrels into the lane and is prone to plowing over defenders.<br>
<br>Does that sound like Keldon Johnson to anyone here? He toned it down toward the end of the year, no doubt because the coaches kept yanking him out of the game and sitting him on the bench to reflect on his sins. He also had some serious passing problems when barreling into the lane. Eason looks much better in such situations because he's taller and can use that huge wingspan/hands to help make more accurate passes.&nbsp;<br><br>Eason is going to become a good scorer. He shows flashes now of what an offensive threat he can be. Add some credit for his defense and he is probably the ONLY forward we can draft that has high ceilings on both ends of the court.<br><br> Perfect? No but there aren't any perfect two way players in this draft. Some good ones; probably some future All-stars, but not many with two-way potential. I'm down to these three for our 9: Eason, J Williams, and Duren. If we wound up with all 3 it would be called the Spurs' Miracle Draft of 2022.

emanueldavidginobili
10-12-2022, 11:14 AM
Cjl9UDxDcSQ

KingKev
10-12-2022, 11:48 AM
I’m not mad at how we drafted but he will probably have a better year 1 than all of our 3 rookies combined.I was hoping he’d drop to 20 but I’m okay with Branham.

John B
10-12-2022, 12:01 PM
I’m happy with who we drafted. I think Spurs checked-off list that they need. Defensive big who can pass and create, a goto scorer with silky shots, and Blake is just a bonis and who might have the highest ceiling with his alpha, peerless attitude.

Nah I’m okay with what we have. And they seem to have great chemistry, which is suspect with Tari in the locker room.

Chinook
10-12-2022, 12:02 PM
I do think Eason would've been a more seamless fit with the young guys the Spurs had on the team, with or without Murray. You gotta be patient with the comparisons, though. I remember how many people retroactively wanted McCaw over Murray in 2016 or who wanted Bell in 2017. I'm not even throwing shade here. I wanted Bell a lot, and while I never cared about McCaw, I did prefer Brogdan, who was better for a while but never stayed healthy and wouldn't've drawn nearly the same trade package. Let's hope Sochan is another guy like that.

KingKev
10-12-2022, 12:06 PM
Eason probs going to start at the 3 for Rockets. He has solid size for a wing @6’7 with a 7’2 wingspan.

rjv
10-12-2022, 12:11 PM
still happy with sochan, tbh. and, hey, the better eason is, the better the rockets record is-which is fine for this season.

Atl Spur
10-12-2022, 05:07 PM
Sochan is solid; his intangibles are off the chart. Give him some time for development in our system.

The Truth #6
10-12-2022, 06:27 PM
I wanted both. I thought Eason was better.

Maddog
10-12-2022, 06:39 PM
Seems like a little bit of a gamble
Perfect at mid teens. 16 teams passed on him for some reason.

The draft is always interesting. Really have to wait a few years.

ismael-robert
10-12-2022, 08:11 PM
We didn't draft, he's not a spur, there was no need to bump this