PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Mock Draft 2.0 - Update After College Early Entry Withdrawal Deadline

Pages : [1] 2

timvp
06-03-2022, 04:51 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/nba-mock-draft-san-antonio-spurs-2022/

Dalen Terry is a riser who fits a lot of what the Spurs look for in a draft prospect. The rumblings regarding Beauchamp and Besson are interesting.

Degoat
06-03-2022, 04:59 PM
Not to shabby of a draft tbh definitely looks like a spurs type of draft. Hard to see Eason fall to 21 and not grab him tho

Mr. Body
06-03-2022, 05:22 PM
Good stuff, always great to see thoughtful mocks. I still have Holmgren at 2 and Banchero at 3, but I have 5-8 exactly as you do right now. As for Spurs picks:

Jeremy Sochan - I'm not entirely sold on him due to the shooting questions, but I do believe he is improvable. He also has a seemingly great grasp for basketball in general. His defensive potential is salivating and obviously plays a position of great need. You kind of want him to be a better shot blocker and rebounder (though he's not a terrible rebounder).

Dalen Terry - A very low usage rate -- 14.1% -- which means he finished fewer possessions than average, although he's a glue guy and that's not hugely surprising. A good defender who can handle the ball with good size. Missing out on Dyson Daniels, he echoes the skill package.

MarJon Beauchamp - I'm not totally thrilled with him for the reasons named, but he's a hardworking, scrappy player and that always helps. The draft has likely flattened out considerably at that point, so why not?

Ultimately not a bad draft. I do think Daniels, Mathurin, Keegan, etc., are gone by the Spurs' pick. At that point to me it's Sochan or Johnny Davis and right now I'm leaning Davis, but lots can change at every level.

RC_Drunkford
06-03-2022, 05:26 PM
I really hope the Spurs don't draft 3 players who can't shoot

Cardinal
06-03-2022, 05:44 PM
I agree on the lack of shooting here. Individually, all three are interesting in their own ways, but together it’s hard to imagine selecting three first round picks who can’t shoot. It would be a pretty disappointing outcome

mo7888
06-03-2022, 05:51 PM
Agree with the comments about not taking multiple non-shooters..

timvp
06-03-2022, 05:51 PM

I agree on the lack of shooting here. Individually, all three are interesting in their own ways, but together it’s hard to imagine selecting three first round picks who can’t shoot. It would be a pretty disappointing outcome

Yeah, the lack of shooting is suboptimal but this draft is really light on shooting. In this mock draft, no one at pick 20 or beyond would classify as a sure-fire good shooter. Weird, tbh.

That may be a reason why the Spurs should pass on Sochan for shooting because you're not going to get shooting past nine. At 9, you can go Mathurin, Jalen Williams or Branham if you want shooting.

Ariel
06-03-2022, 05:58 PM
I don't see much upside in Besson, he's a good shooter but quite underwhelming at everything else, particularly HORRIBLE finisher. I wouldn't take him with the 80th pick, let alone 38. If him and Houstan are our picks at 25 & 38, we might as well donate the picks to charity.

I want Mathurin / Daniels / Sochan at 9
Tari Eason / Jalen Wiliams / Blake Wesley at 20
Best player available at 25 (whomever falls)

I was happy that Denver picked after us (@ 21), but now that Connelly is with the T-Wolves, them picking at 19 is a concern. If someone is an obvious slip, they'll pick him up in front of our noses.

rjv
06-03-2022, 06:04 PM
I don't see much upside in Besson, he's a good shooter but quite underwhelming at everything else, particularly HORRIBLE finisher. I wouldn't take him with the 80th pick, let alone 38. If him and Houstan are our picks at 25 & 38, we might as well donate the picks to charity.

I want Mathurin / Daniels / Sochan at 9
Tari Eason / Jalen Wiliams / Blake Wesley at 20
Best player available at 25 (whomever falls)

I was happy that Denver picked after us (@ 21), but now that Connelly is with the T-Wolves, them picking at 19 is a concern. If someone is an obvious slip, they'll pick him up in front of our noses.

i'd be happy with these picks and i'd love to see procida drop to #25.

Ariel
06-03-2022, 06:05 PM
That may be a reason why the Spurs should pass on Sochan for shooting because you're not going to get shooting past nine. At 9, you can go Mathurin, Jalen Williams or Branham if you want shooting.
If they are going for Jalen Williams or Branham, whom I like, they'd be better served trading back and picking up assets in the process. One of them will be available 3 or 4 picks later for sure.

Ariel
06-03-2022, 06:11 PM
i'd be happy with these picks and i'd love to see procida drop to #25.
I'll take Procida over Besson 100 times out of 100. He's bigger, younger, more athletic, has a defined NBA role, can also shoot, and can likely be stashed. One of the better options for delaying a pick, other than trading it. Picking up Besson is twice a mistake: first for picking him, and second for not picking someone else because we'd be "commited" to developing him (at least for 2 years). A complete waste of resources and a huge cost of opportunity.

timvp
06-03-2022, 06:41 PM
I'll take Procida over Besson 100 times out of 100. He's bigger, younger, more athletic, has a defined NBA role, can also shoot, and can likely be stashed. One of the better options for delaying a pick, other than trading it. Picking up Besson is twice a mistake: first for picking him, and second for not picking someone else because we'd be "commited" to developing him (at least for 2 years). A complete waste of resources and a huge cost of opportunity.

Yeah, I'd take Procida over Besson clearly -- but Procida was gone in the mock.

Draft-and-stash candidates at 38 are looking pretty slim. Procida is the obvious one but I doubt he's available (even though ESPN still has him going in the 50s). Kamagate makes some sense but probably not if you've already picked three non-shooters. I'm not too impressed with the rest, tbh.

Speaking of draft-and-stash, if Jovic is willing to be a draft-and-stash, I think he enters the conversation at 20. If not, I probably wouldn't want the Spurs to pick him until 25.

BatManu20
06-03-2022, 06:49 PM
This would be a pretty underwhelming draft tbh but does seem very Spursy. Our identity would immediately become an up-tempo defensive team though it seems if it were to shake out this way. None of these guys have star potential, hence why I say it would be pretty underwhelming, but at 9 we’re likely hard-pressed to find that anyways, particularly with rumors of Mathurin likely going top-7 now.

PhantomDashCam
06-03-2022, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the thoughts timvp.
I like Sochan and one of Beauchamp or Terry, not both.
Feel like Wesley or Jovic may offer more upside long term.

objective
06-03-2022, 07:02 PM
I'd be fine with Sochan, but as an illustration of draft weakness, I think he's like a homeless, leprosy Franz Wagner.

And if Banchero fell to 4 I would hope the Spurs would offer 9+Keldon and hope that's enough, maybe add in more.

Uriel
06-03-2022, 07:26 PM
Wow. That top 8 would be the absolute worst case scenario for the Spurs. I would pick any one of those guys over anybody else at #9. Still, I can't imagine that on draft day itself, at least one of them doesn't fall, though.

mo7888
06-03-2022, 07:46 PM
Yeah, the lack of shooting is suboptimal but this draft is really light on shooting. In this mock draft, no one at pick 20 or beyond would classify as a sure-fire good shooter. Weird, tbh.

Procida is a shooter...and I'd take him over Terry..

BackHome
06-03-2022, 08:17 PM
Yeah Procida had a beautiful 3 ball is is very athletic he has the size 6’7 and he can shoot outside or take it to the rim he has some viscous dunks that surprised me. There are things he needs to work on but definitely has decent to high ceiling he also has that assassin mentality which with those nasty dunks I was like Me LIKE

Chinook
06-03-2022, 08:34 PM
9 -- Davis

20 -- Eason

25 -- Koloko

38 -- Alondes Williams (or Minott or whatever darling the Spurs have)

Would prefer that draft. While we wouldn't know how the Spurs picking Davis at 9 would affect the rest of the draft, all of those picks were still available when the Spurs had their selections.

SpursBills
06-03-2022, 08:46 PM
I'd be fine with Sochan, but as an illustration of draft weakness, I think he's like a homeless, leprosy Franz Wagner.

And if Banchero fell to 4 I would hope the Spurs would offer 9+Keldon and hope that's enough, maybe add in more.

Agree - I'd go so far as to offer 9+Keldon+Poetl and draft Walker Kessler in the 20s as a Poeltl replacement

BatManu20
06-03-2022, 09:11 PM
Yeah Procida had a beautiful 3 ball is is very athletic he has the size 6’7 and he can shoot outside or take it to the rim he has some viscous dunks that surprised me. There are things he needs to work on but definitely has decent to high ceiling he also has that assassin mentality which with those nasty dunks I was like Me LIKE

BatManu20
06-03-2022, 09:12 PM
9 -- Davis

20 -- Eason

25 -- Koloko

Would prefer that draft. While we wouldn't know how the Spurs picking Davis at 9 would affect the rest of the draft, all of those picks were still available when the Spurs had their selections.

I’d take this in a heartbeat. Though I don’t see any way Eason falls Chicago at 18.

Degoat
06-03-2022, 09:15 PM
We gotta remind ourselves that the spurs dont give a damn about the consensus among prospects lol They could grab any prospect that they really like or believe in at 9.

kht
06-03-2022, 09:19 PM
AKA we get nobody. We need to swing for the fences for a Lavine and Ayton.

Degoat
06-03-2022, 09:23 PM
We gotta remind ourselves that the spurs dont give a damn about the consensus among prospects lol They could grab any prospect that they really like or believe in at 9.

timvp
06-03-2022, 09:53 PM
9 -- Davis

20 -- Eason

25 -- Koloko

Yeah, if you knew Eason would be there are 20, you probably don't take Sochan 9.

timvp
06-03-2022, 09:56 PM
Procida is a shooter...and I'd take him over Terry..

I'm higher on Procida than anyone I know but .... I think 20 is a bit rich for someone ESPN has mocked in the 50s. I'd be totally fine with Procida at 25. I'd be thrilled with Procida at 38.

And while Procida is a shooter, from what I've heard he's not expected to cross the pond right away -- so he's not immediate shooting help.

Uriel
06-03-2022, 09:58 PM
Question for those who’ve watched Sochan: why is he a better prospect than Kyle Anderson?

BatManu20
06-03-2022, 10:05 PM

Mr. Body
06-03-2022, 10:14 PM

I don't know why the surprise. This is what happens. Once teams start evaluating players, some move up, some move back because those players moved up. What you cobbled together on March 12th or whatever isn't where things will land. Every year there's some Kali who is completely astonished.

mo7888
06-03-2022, 10:15 PM
I'm higher on Procida than anyone I know but .... I think 20 is a bit rich for someone ESPN has mocked in the 50s. I'd be totally fine with Procida at 25. I'd be thrilled with Procida at 38.

And while Procida is a shooter, from what I've heard he's not expected to cross the pond right away -- so he's not immediate shooting help.

You may be correct.... I have him #21 on my board...

Mr. Body
06-03-2022, 10:17 PM
Question for those who’ve watched Sochan: why is he a better prospect than Kyle Anderson?

He's much faster and more athletic. He's a better defender.

BatManu20
06-03-2022, 10:34 PM

Yea piggybacking on what body said, he’s a significantly better athlete than Fat-head. Much faster and smoother. Quicker. He’s not a great vertical athlete, but he’s just a lot more mobile than Kyle ever was. Moves his feet well. Can guard 1-4 on switches.

Chinook
06-03-2022, 10:40 PM
Yeah, if you knew Eason would be there are 20, you probably don't take Sochan 9.

Yep, the Spurs need a defensive forward, and unless they think one of their darlings is going to be that they're going to have to consider taking them at 9 or trading up.

Still, that's the benefit of doing a full-round mock. You can see the opportunity cost and places where trades could make sense. Good job, even though I would be wary of this draft as it broke down.

PhantomDashCam
06-03-2022, 10:43 PM

He's much faster and more athletic. He's a better defender.

IMHO I would also add that he brings a more consistent physicality to the game and a higher level of inner belief/confidence to precedings.

BackHome
06-03-2022, 11:09 PM
Yeah Kyle would never pull the trigger I was always begging him let the 3 ball loose if no one comes out to contest it and he would just pass it to someone else.......

Chomag
06-03-2022, 11:28 PM
If Sharpe is still on the board when spurs are up you take him. Dude is going to be a stud, yes of course he could be a bust but where the Spurs are at in talent right now they really need to be aiming high and not just play it safe with the safer yet solid picks. Or else we could be facing regret as he beasts it up on another team knowing we passed up on him.

I'm not against going safe and solid at all but that's if we have more established players already on the roster.

Then again maybe not as I'm just a fan and not their GM, but it's just my take as a basketball fan haha

offset formation
06-03-2022, 11:43 PM
Yeah Kyle would never pull the trigger I was always begging him let the 3 ball loose if no one comes out to contest it and he would just pass it to someone else.......

His 3 pt shot looks like Charles Barkleys golf swing.

SAGirl
06-03-2022, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the entertaining breakdown. The comments also were useful. I am not giving things too much thought bc it always feels like the Spurs come out from left field with something unexpected. I am hoping the unexpected is someone falling to them at 9 bc a different team made a questionable reach. It happens. Like others I am dismayed at the lack of shooting and that’s where I can see the Caleb Houstan guarantee. I am not sold that the Spurs promised him bc it could be others frankly but I can see it at 38 for sure.

mystargtr34
06-04-2022, 12:10 AM
His 3 pt shot looks like Charles Barkleys golf swing.

Good comparison. I rarely laugh out loud when I'm watching basketball but I did multiple times during some of the Memphis games in the playoffs when Kyle would shoot the 3. That epic slow as molasses wind up, then the sudden stop and hitch and release at the end is always funny as fuck.

duncan2150
06-04-2022, 04:50 AM
I like this draft tough i miss my back up center ;) who can protect the rim, rebound ....

Other than that, i need to see more of Beauchamp cause i'm not so high on him but i see some nice tools.

rascal
06-04-2022, 07:41 AM
Spurs need to add players who can consistently knock down perimeter shots.

Adding a bunch of poor shooting players to a team that needs improvement in that area will be a fail out of this draft.

Look how Boston took down GS in Game one. Solid defense with the ability to hit 3 point shots.

Dejounte
06-04-2022, 07:46 AM
All I care about is skill tbh

Finesse, dribble technique, smart plays impress me more than hops

call it being spoiled from watching Manu for his entire career

CGD
06-04-2022, 07:56 AM
I’m still nervous about Sochan at 9 (feel his stock has been inflated), but I won’t hate it if 1-8 broke this way.

If 1-8 did break this way, I’d want to do more due diligence on Duren at 9. I know what they say about centers these days, but this doesn’t seem like a bad place to take one (Jak was 9 once too). Could also be trade fodder for trading down too.

dbestpro
06-04-2022, 08:03 AM
This looks like a post Duncan Spurs draft, which means the Spurs will remain in basketball purgatory for many more years then we hoped.

John B
06-04-2022, 08:16 AM
9 -- Davis

20 -- Eason

25 -- Koloko

This is a perfect scenario IF Eason would likely fall at 20. Davis at 9 would be that go-to scorer and point-of-attack defensive player the Spurs could be looking for. And of course Eason checks off the defense/rebounding hole at 4.

Ariel
06-04-2022, 08:25 AM
Eason is extremely unlikely to fall to 20. He's likely going to get picked up in the 16-19 range, IMO by Chicago at 18. But we COULD do something about it, trading up to the middle of the first round (15/16), preferably from 25.
Charlotte has 2 picks and is rumored to be willing to deal one. Atlanta is also in a similar predicament, in that they are a young team that desperately needs to make the playoffs. Adding a veteran like Josh Richardson, who can shoot and defend and is a good locker room presence, should be appealing to both. Maybe him + 25 gets us that pick. Or Poeltl, if Charlotte still wants him (in this case, without 25).
That pick would guarantee we can pick up one of Sochan / Eason at least, say Mathurin or Daniels are there at no. 9 we take Eason with the second pick, or if not we take Sochan with no. 9 and use no. 15 on a high potential wing (Johnny Davis, Jalen Williams, Branham, whomever is available).
We could also use 20 for that purpose and it'd be easier, but I'd really like to keep that pick because some talent will for sure be available at that range (Jalen Williams, Blake Wesley, Dieng) and we can use that pick to take advantage of any opportunity the board presents us, which of course diminishes with each passing pick.

John B
06-04-2022, 08:48 AM
^ If Koloko is available at 20-25, I’d trade either pick with Poeltl to grab Eason at 15. Draft Davis at 9.

Murray/Davis/Vassel/Eason/Koloko
Keldon at 6th man

BatManu20
06-04-2022, 09:23 AM
Figured I’d post since Koloko has been getting some love lately. He’s a little stiff for my liking and he turns 22 in a couple weeks, but he’s by far the best shooting C available in the draft. Wouldn’t the a terrible pick at 25.

SpursBills
06-04-2022, 09:27 AM
Spurs need to add players who can consistently knock down perimeter shots.

Adding a bunch of poor shooting players to a team that needs improvement in that area will be a fail out of this draft.

Look how Boston took down GS in Game one. Solid defense with the ability to hit 3 point shots.

Interesting that you mention Boston

Marcus Smart at Oklahoma - 0.290 3pt%
Jayson Tatum at Duke - 0.342 3pt%
Jaylen Brown at Cal - 0.294 3pt%
Grant Williams at Tennessee - 0.324 3pt%

Derrick White's struggles from 3 have been well chronicled on this board. It may be a better bet to get a defender and try and teach them to shoot than to get a shooter and try and get them to play defense.

Russ
06-04-2022, 11:09 AM
It may be a better bet to get a defender and try and teach them to shoot than to get a shooter and try and get them to play defense.

Better yet, get a scorer and teach them to shoot.

rascal
06-04-2022, 11:24 AM
Interesting that you mention Boston

Marcus Smart at Oklahoma - 0.290 3pt%
Jayson Tatum at Duke - 0.342 3pt%
Jaylen Brown at Cal - 0.294 3pt%
Grant Williams at Tennessee - 0.324 3pt%

Derrick White's struggles from 3 have been well chronicled on this board. It may be a better bet to get a defender and try and teach them to shoot than to get a shooter and try and get them to play defense.

You can teach defense if the athleticism and quickness is there. Defense is more about effort than anything else.

The better offensive players with the high offensive skillsets are the higher draft picks.

John B
06-04-2022, 11:50 AM
Figured I’d post since Koloko has been getting some love lately. He’s a little stiff for my liking and he turns 22 in a couple weeks, but he’s by far the best shooting C available in the draft. Wouldn’t the a terrible pick at 25.

Fuck that. If he’s available at 25, Spurs got their future big. Trade Poeltl plus pick to get Eason. As mentioned:
Murray/Davis/Vassell/Eason/Koloko

Degoat
06-04-2022, 12:11 PM
Was Lurking on the Trailblazers fan site, I think their pick is going to really see impact who falls to the spurs. Supposedly Dame Lilard Follows 3 prospects on Instagram lol Keegan Murray, Dyson Daniels, and AJ Griffin.

widowmaker
06-04-2022, 12:14 PM

Some spurs fans are infatuated with players who can’t shoot. We already have plenty of players on this team that cant shoot.

wildbill2u
06-04-2022, 12:28 PM
Wasting 3 picks on questionable shooters makes this mock draft a mockery to me. Maybe one of these guys, but all three???? NOT GOOD IMHO.

Who is the best player available at 9? Take him. You have to assume that the FO evaluation is made with some attention to his skillset and our needs. Since we conceivably have a need at almost every position, take the best player and get rid of our surpluses with "potential".

Next: Who is available and is the wildest swing for a upside surprise at 20? Take him. This is the pick where you gamble on your scouting and gut feeling if you weren't sure of a player with huge upside at number 9. Maybe that guy who teased you as a surprise at 9 is still there??? If not, take a gamble with this pick.

AT 25, Who is the next best alternate to the number 9 pick we took, but with opposite skills. Take him. For example if we took a player at 9 with primary skillset on defense, take the next best player with shooting skillset at 25.

This is not a safe set of rules for the draft, but Spurs need this draft to be less conservative than usual. Go for it.

Degoat
06-04-2022, 12:44 PM
Was listening to a podcast and honestly thought they brought up a good point. What’s the difference between Keegan Murray and Ej Liddell? Both play pretty similar playing styles, EJ scored well in the combine drills as well

wildbill2u
06-04-2022, 12:48 PM
After thinking about some comments above on developing shooters into players who WILL or CAN play defense, I can't think of anyone who made that flip after coming into the league. Shooters have been groomed to shoot and be high usage shooters all their lives. That got them the applause, the trophies, and the girls. And In most cases, the coaches never really insisted they develop any defensive skills because playing good defense is too exhausting, and they didn't want their shooter off the floor or wearing out in the later stages of the game. That kind of long time grooming at a position sticks with most players. They may agree intellectually that becoming a better or good two way player is good for their team and career, but....really??? Are they going to change much?

Can anyone recall a really good shooter who became a really good defender after entering the NBA??? I'm sorta excluding the old style centers here because it was much easier back in the day to rack up points in the paint as an offensive threat while dominating on defense with height. So let's concentrate on remembered SGs, PFs, and SFs who were stud shooters and seriously worked on their defense skillset.

R. DeMurre
06-04-2022, 01:33 PM
Sochan & Eason have their individual shortcomings, but I don't agree at all with the idea that a team can't draft both because their skills are too overlapping... I don't think there's such a thing as too much defensive talent and versatility at 6'8", 6'9" in the modern NBA. Hard to say how they'll turn out, but if they both hit, the possibilities are intriguing: Sochan playing minutes as a small ball center with Eason as a PF, Sochan & Eason at PF & SF, or one guy eventually starting with the other coming off the bench, etc., etc... I think having two great switchable defenders at that height in today's game is analogous to having two great defensive bigs 20/25 years ago. It's a position of need in the league generally and of the current Spurs specifically, so the idea of taking two shots at it in a year when you have extra picks doesn't seem impetuous at all. Eason would be a no-brainer if he didn't have that horrendous assist-to-TO ratio, but he still offers so much, especially if he drops to 20 and Jalen Williams is already gone. That being said, Eason still gives me a weird vibe, so I think the interview process and background checks will be very important.

SpursBills
06-04-2022, 01:41 PM
After thinking about some comments above on developing shooters into players who WILL or CAN play defense, I can't think of anyone who made that flip after coming into the league. Shooters have been groomed to shoot and be high usage shooters all their lives. That got them the applause, the trophies, and the girls. And In most cases, the coaches never really insisted they develop any defensive skills because playing good defense is too exhausting, and they didn't want their shooter off the floor or wearing out in the later stages of the game. That kind of long time grooming at a position sticks with most players. They may agree intellectually that becoming a better or good two way player is good for their team and career, but....really??? Are they going to change much?

Can anyone recall a really good shooter who became a really good defender after entering the NBA??? I'm sorta excluding the old style centers here because it was much easier back in the day to rack up points in the paint as an offensive threat while dominating on defense with height. So let's concentrate on remembered SGs, PFs, and SFs who were stud shooters and seriously worked on their defense skillset.

Klay thompson is probably the one that comes to mind first, he was never a defensive liability coming into the league but there were defensive concerns given his lack of athleticism; ended up developing into a well above average defender and occasionally the Warriors' perimeter stopper from 2015 until his injury. I think Jayson Tatum's defense was fairly suspect when he first came out and he did not really break out as a defender until just the last 1-2 years. Maybe Khris Middleton although I am unfamiliar with how he was in college.
Otherwise you are right, this does not happen nearly as often as the inverse (Danny Green, Mikal Bridges, Robert Covington, etc.)

Mr. Body
06-04-2022, 01:43 PM
Was listening to a podcast and honestly thought they brought up a good point. What’s the difference between Keegan Murray and Ej Liddell? Both play pretty similar playing styles, EJ scored well in the combine drills as well

Good question. Says less about Murray than suggests Liddell may be better than recognized.

https://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=e-j-liddell--keegan-murray

BackHome
06-04-2022, 01:50 PM
Same thing Daniels vs Dalen Terry vs Williams ?

CGD
06-04-2022, 01:54 PM

The biggest difference seems to be explosiveness. Liddell has a good 25lbs on Murray while being an inch shorter at 6’7”. I think as a result he plays lower to the ground and is slower, which is less than ideal given his height.

duncan2150
06-04-2022, 02:08 PM
The biggest difference seems to be explosiveness. Liddell has a good 25lbs on Murray while being an inch shorter at 6’7”. I think as a result he plays lower to the ground and is slower, which is less than ideal given his height.

I'm not sure on that, Lidell showed some nice leap during the combine. He can jump and one of the concern with Murray could be his quickness.

Ariel
06-04-2022, 02:42 PM
Sochan & Eason have their individual shortcomings, but I don't agree at all with the idea that a team can't draft both because their skills are too overlapping... I don't think there's such a thing as too much defensive talent and versatility at 6'8", 6'9" in the modern NBA. Hard to say how they'll turn out, but if they both hit, the possibilities are intriguing: Sochan playing minutes as a small ball center with Eason as a PF, Sochan & Eason at PF & SF, or one guy eventually starting with the other coming off the bench, etc., etc... I think having two great switchable defenders at that height in today's game is analogous to having two great defensive bigs 20/25 years ago. It's a position of need in the league generally and of the current Spurs specifically, so the idea of taking two shots at it in a year when you have extra picks doesn't seem impetuous at all. Eason would be a no-brainer if he didn't have that horrendous assist-to-TO ratio, but he still offers so much, especially if he drops to 20 and Jalen Williams is already gone. That being said, Eason still gives me a weird vibe, so I think the interview process and background checks will be very important.
I agree with this. Also, it's not like adding 2 SF/PF will generate a logjam, when we only have Keldon Johnson (KBD and McDermott shouldn't prevent us from getting anyone, let's be honest). So there's definitely room for both Sochan AND Eason. The only reason NOT to do this (if it is possible), would be that doing so would likely come at the expense of missing out on a potentially better overall prospect, like Mathurin at 9 or Jalen Williams at 20. So I'm in principle going for one of them + best talent for the rest, but if they're close enough to same talent tier, then it definitely makes sense to get both. Big, athletic and versatile forwards with great defense and all around potential are much harder to come by than average shooting guards, so if the talent gap isn't significant then adding a few of those (to a team that's severely lacking in that regard) is far from a concern.

Ariel
06-04-2022, 02:46 PM
Having 3 1st rounders, if at the end of the day we come away without a viable long term prospect at forward in THIS class, I'd definitely feel underwhelmed.

JPB
06-04-2022, 03:26 PM
It isn't easier or more difficult to teach a defesenser to shoot than to a shooter to defend. That's two different talents and mindsets. But scorers and offesnsive talent will always prevail over defensers in NBA drafts, particularly this year for the spurs who have to target scoring. There's 4 other teammates on the court to cover your ass. And tbh you can teach a defenser to shoot all you want, you won't make him a scorer... a 3 & D guy at best, à la Bowen. And spurs don't need a Bowen in this draft.

rascal
06-04-2022, 04:01 PM
Wasting 3 picks on questionable shooters makes this mock draft a mockery to me. Maybe one of these guys, but all three???? NOT GOOD IMHO.

Who is the best player available at 9? Take him. You have to assume that the FO evaluation is made with some attention to his skillset and our needs. Since we conceivably have a need at almost every position, take the best player and get rid of our surpluses with "potential".

Next: Who is available and is the wildest swing for a upside surprise at 20? Take him. This is the pick where you gamble on your scouting and gut feeling if you weren't sure of a player with huge upside at number 9. Maybe that guy who teased you as a surprise at 9 is still there??? If not, take a gamble with this pick.

AT 25, Who is the next best alternate to the number 9 pick we took, but with opposite skills. Take him. For example if we took a player at 9 with primary skillset on defense, take the next best player with shooting skillset at 25.

This is not a safe set of rules for the draft, but Spurs need this draft to be less conservative than usual. Go for it.

Spurs have to get it done this draft.

They have some trade chips so let's see how good the FO is in making a good trade to come out of this draft with a high potential player who doesn't need to work on his questionable offensive game.

rascal
06-04-2022, 04:11 PM
I'd rather have Eason than Sochan. Neither shoot very well from 3 so the Spurs will have to have better shooters on the roster at the 2 and 3. Sochan's ft% indicates he doesn't have a good touch on his shot.
He bends his knees before he shoots then he comes up on his FT shot and it looks weird.

Eason also plays with a higher motor with more energy. Eason has his flaws foul prone that he'll have to work on but I like him more than Sochan and can draft him a little later. Targeting Eason with the 13th or 15th pick from Charlotte would be a good move and use 9 on another player if the Spurs can't move up to get the better players, Murray, Sharpe or Mathurin.

Ariel
06-04-2022, 04:31 PM
There's an argument to be made against Koloko, but size for sure isn't it...

exstatic
06-04-2022, 04:48 PM
There's an argument to be made against Koloko, but size for sure isn't it...

Not so much size as weight. He’s 220, and not a stretch 5, no perimeter skills. People question Duren’s ability to defend in the post, and he’s 245. 220 is a fucking twig of a paint center.

rascal
06-04-2022, 04:50 PM

Murray is quick to the basket with long strides.

Ariel
06-04-2022, 05:09 PM
Not so much size as weight. He’s 220, and not a stretch 5, no perimeter skills. People question Duren’s ability to defend in the post, and he’s 245. 220 is a fucking twig of a paint center.
He's 6'11" barefoot and with a good frame, I don't think it's an issue. Skill wise, yes, the case can be made.

TD 21
06-04-2022, 05:33 PM
This is an iteration of the doomsday scenario (a cadre of non shooting, sub star ceiling role players) staring them in the face.

If this is what it comes to, shop some combination of all 3 of the 1sts, Poeltl, Richardson, Collins, Walker signed and traded, etc. for an Ayton (I realize it can't be finalized beforehand, but they should already be speaking to the Suns and tampering with his representation), Anunoby or whoever else of that ilk that might be attainable.

PhantomDashCam
06-04-2022, 05:36 PM
Going over some film again and watching a few interviews, are people down on Jaden Hardy for any particular reason?
He’s a train wreck defensively, has problems finishing around the rim and is not an ideal athlete for the 2-guard position but everything else is there or needing refinement. There is genuine star potential with him or at worst Buddy Hield type shot making…

What really blew me away is how well Offensively he can play on and off ball. I had the impression that he was just a gunner from deep and didn’t realise how good of a P’nR playmaker he is.

If Spurs believe in his character and feel he has the ability to significantly improve defensively, we should definitely have discussions about him with the 9th pick.

That may sound like a reach but I would have to believe he’s a lotto pick unless there is some glaring red flag issue I’m unaware of…

Edit: Speak of the devil…

https://youtu.be/Rr6DgPbboSM

Ariel
06-04-2022, 05:59 PM
^ I agree he's worthy of consideration at least. Personally I'm higher on Blake Wesley, but they're both undersized SG with high scoring potential, that could reap huge benefits for anyone willing to gamble on them. I'd definitely consider him at 25, if he's there and we didn't already take Wesley.

Ariel
06-04-2022, 06:02 PM
This is an iteration of the doomsday scenario (a cadre of non shooting, sub star ceiling role players) staring them in the face.

If this is what it comes to, shop some combination of all 3 of the 1sts, Poeltl, Richardson, Collins, Walker signed and traded, etc. for an Ayton (I realize it can't be finalized beforehand, but they should already be speaking to the Suns and tampering with his representation), Anunoby or whoever else of that ilk that might be attainable.
I'm not advocating for Koloko, I'm saying size isn't the issue with him. Personally I'd take Kamagate or Jaylin Williams before him.

BackHome
06-04-2022, 06:09 PM
Me to...

PhantomDashCam
06-04-2022, 07:01 PM
https://youtu.be/mh-0Sx98p38

Jaden Hardy wanted to participate at the combine according to this ESPN vid. but couldn’t due to H&S protocols. Apparently his pro day was a masterclass in shooting, something the tweet below reiterates…

Mr. Body
06-04-2022, 07:04 PM
Paolo Banchero: 4-14 fgs, 1-3 3pt, 5-6 fts, 5 reb, 1 ast, 1 stl, 0 blk, 3 tos, 14 pts
E.J. Liddell: 5-10 fgs, 1-3 3pt, 3-7 fts, 14 reb, 6 ast, 0 stl, 3 blk, 4 tos, 14 pts

MultiTroll
06-04-2022, 10:47 PM
Jaden Hardy wanted to participate at the combine according to this ESPN vid. but couldn’t due to H&S protocols. Apparently his pro day was a masterclass in shooting, something the tweet below reiterates…
Ever watched him on Ignite?

Can he do any of this shooting while guarded?

MultiTroll
06-04-2022, 10:57 PM
Paolo Banchero: 4-14 fgs, 1-3 3pt, 5-6 fts, 5 reb, 1 ast, 1 stl, 0 blk, 3 tos, 14 pts
E.J. Liddell: 5-10 fgs, 1-3 3pt, 3-7 fts, 14 reb, 6 ast, 0 stl, 3 blk, 4 tos, 14 pts
Thank you.

Apparently the 2 games i caught were Bancheros rare stinkers.
And he sucked badly the 2 i watched. End of game soft and quitter on both O and D.

TD 21
06-04-2022, 11:37 PM
Going over some film again and watching a few interviews, are people down on Jaden Hardy for any particular reason?
He’s a train wreck defensively, has problems finishing around the rim and is not an ideal athlete for the 2-guard position but everything else is there or needing refinement. There is genuine star potential with him or at worst Buddy Hield type shot making…

What really blew me away is how well Offensively he can play on and off ball. I had the impression that he was just a gunner from deep and didn’t realise how good of a P’nR playmaker he is.

If Spurs believe in his character and feel he has the ability to significantly improve defensively, we should definitely have discussions about him with the 9th pick.

That may sound like a reach but I would have to believe he’s a lotto pick unless there is some glaring red flag issue I’m unaware of…

Edit: Speak of the devil…

https://youtu.be/Rr6DgPbboSM

Good question. There's a clear need for an additional ball handler + volume scorer, particularly of the pull-up 3-point shooting variety and they were supposedly interested in Poole per timvp.

PhantomDashCam
06-05-2022, 01:58 AM
Ever watched him on Ignite?

Can he do any of this shooting while guarded?

I watched a few games on YouTube. He definitely can shoot it while guarded and from distance too. Consistency appears to be the big issue, along with decision making on when to shoot...
He appears to have improved significantly across the season though.

Take the example of these two games, one from November '21 and the other March '22. Night and day difference on the floor, even just in the first quarter.

https://youtu.be/K7f-AzP858g

https://youtu.be/CpLqRPnLGus

JPB
06-05-2022, 05:17 AM
From what I read Jaden Hardy was pretty average in G-league. Sorry but one empthatic tweet and a 2 min vid from yet another twitter "expert" who probably got a call (+ some reward) from his agent don't make him a top 10 pick...

As I already said, the closer to the draft the greater and greater every of these kids will become. I mean dude actually kind of misses a lot in that clip comparing to your usual pimping vid where the guys just can't miss.

PhantomDashCam
06-05-2022, 07:27 AM
From what I read Jaden Hardy was pretty average in G-league. Sorry but one empthatic tweet and a 2 min vid from yet another twitter "expert" who probably got a call (+ some reward) from his agent don't make him a top 10 pick...

As I already said, the closer to the draft the greater and greater every of these kids will become. I mean dude actually kind of misses a lot in that clip comparing to your usual pimping vid where the guys just can't miss.

All good points.

Like many of the hyped guys coming into the season (PBJ, Caleb Houston, Max Christie etc), he definitely underwhelmed relative to expectations.
His numbers overall look horrid, especially for a shooter.
The highs though, there some of the best I’ve seen from this class IMHO. I think he’ll rise in the coming weeks if he performs well in workouts.

CGD
06-05-2022, 07:48 AM
Im curious to get the true story of what happened to Baldwin. How does a top 5 HS recruit drop like that and then shit the bed at the combine?

Part of me still want to take him at 25 just on potential and hope that last year was an aberration. But damn what a fall from
Grace.

exstatic
06-05-2022, 08:47 AM
Im curious to get the true story of what happened to Baldwin. How does a top 5 HS recruit drop like that and then shit the bed at the combine?

Part of me still want to take him at 25 just on potential and hope that last year was an aberration. But damn what a fall from
Grace.

Top 5 ranking doesn’t mean top 5 player. There are a lot of people who have interests in promoting one player or another.

Emoni Bates was another one. Shit the bed at Memphis, and is now in the transfer portal.

JPB
06-05-2022, 09:17 AM
There's also the mental factor. That's one thing to be teenage king of you HS sleeping in mommy's house. Tha'ts another to discover and face the pressure of the adult pro world, realizing what's at stake in the middle of other hungry players... That's not always the most talented who succeed in pro sports.

Ariel
06-05-2022, 10:44 AM

Kumminga wasn't setting the G'League on fire either... or Scottie Barnes in College, or many other examples for that matter. You have to go beyond the struggles to find out their true worth. The best value picks are usually those whose potential doesn't match their production, for a multitude of factors (adaptation to a new environment, early stage of development, system restricting players to a role, not adhering to archetypes -too old, not athletic enough-, etc.). That's how you better your draft position. And Hardy can be one of those. Or he can be a bust, also. But at the end of the first round that's gamble I'd be willing to take.

rankingtear
06-05-2022, 11:06 AM
Marjon even at 20 would be fine. He has some untapped potential as a shot creator. Very explosive, maybe there is some Jaylen Brown in there. More likely a tame Kelly Oubre. One of the covid casualties like Jalen and Zaire.

exstatic
06-05-2022, 01:48 PM
I’m pretty skeptical of players from the gleague or overtime elite. I always feel that they over promote their players to promote their programs.

stnick2261
06-05-2022, 01:56 PM
I'm not even sure what I'm hoping for (trading up, trading down, BPA, etc)... but I do know that if the BPA is a PF multiple times during our picks, that definitely wouldn't stop me from drafting more than 1 PF. We have the room, the need, the available minutes and it would be good to not throw all our eggs in the 1 basket.

JPB
06-05-2022, 03:02 PM
Kumminga wasn't setting the G'League on fire either... or Scottie Barnes in College, or many other examples for that matter. You have to go beyond the struggles to find out their true worth. The best value picks are usually those whose potential doesn't match their production, for a multitude of factors (adaptation to a new environment, early stage of development, system restricting players to a role, not adhering to archetypes -too old, not athletic enough-, etc.). That's how you better your draft position. And Hardy can be one of those. Or he can be a bust, also. But at the end of the first round that's gamble I'd be willing to take.

You're right, but wer'e talking about a kid who showed promises in HS and was projected top 5 and then had a subpar season vs. professionals in the G League in what would have been his rookie season in the NBA. G leagu, is good enough material to judge the player, reason why he's mostly project mid draft and might drop past 20 if others rise... No way he's top 10, which was my point (and ironizing about the over emphatic tweet).

you can eventually take a risk on a guy like that as a contender, not for a team like the spurs at 9.

bluebellmaniac
06-06-2022, 04:26 PM
https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiZWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnNpLmNvbS9uYmEvMjAyMi8wNi8wNi 9uYmEtbW9jay1kcmFmdC1qYWJhcmktc21pdGgtY2hldC1ob2xt Z3Jlbi1wYW9sby1iYW5jaGVyby1qYWRlbi1pdmV50gFqaHR0cH M6Ly93d3cuc2kuY29tLy5hbXAvbmJhLzIwMjIvMDYvMDYvbmJh LW1vY2stZHJhZnQtamFiYXJpLXNtaXRoLWNoZXQtaG9sbWdyZW 4tcGFvbG8tYmFuY2hlcm8tamFkZW4taXZleQ?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

4 Forwards..

I like it.

Mr. Body
06-06-2022, 04:48 PM
https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiZWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnNpLmNvbS9uYmEvMjAyMi8wNi8wNi 9uYmEtbW9jay1kcmFmdC1qYWJhcmktc21pdGgtY2hldC1ob2xt Z3Jlbi1wYW9sby1iYW5jaGVyby1qYWRlbi1pdmV50gFqaHR0cH M6Ly93d3cuc2kuY29tLy5hbXAvbmJhLzIwMjIvMDYvMDYvbmJh LW1vY2stZHJhZnQtamFiYXJpLXNtaXRoLWNoZXQtaG9sbWdyZW 4tcGFvbG8tYmFuY2hlcm8tamFkZW4taXZleQ?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

4 Forwards..

I like it.

Well, the last two are Patrick Baldwin and Caleb Houstan, so basically worthless picks. And Jovic? His terrible defense may make him unplayable. This draft is like the Spurs only picking once.

I'm starting to see Johnny Davis above Mathurin more lately.

John B
06-06-2022, 05:03 PM

4 Forwards..

I like it.

If Indiana gets Davis at 6, then I’m taking Mathurin at 9 over Sochan. And Eason falling to 23? I’m grabbing him at 20. I didn’t have to trade my pick 25 which I’d use for Kessler over Baldwin on this mock scenario. I’ll wait the trade deadline to trade Poeltl for a future FRP (and SRP if possible). I would’ve love to get Davis because I think he’s a winner and checks-off goto scorer AND point-of-attack defender against athletic guards (who always torched the Spurs), but I could live with this version of a mock draft :lol

TD 21
06-06-2022, 05:09 PM
The Pacers are probably the one hope of one of Mathurin/Daniels sliding to 9 since they're probably too conservative to go with a wild card like Sharpe, so in the likely event Murray goes 4-5 and they think it's close between the aforementioned guards/wings and Davis, I could see him winning out based on being a better theoretical fit with Haliburton and Duarte.

CGD
06-06-2022, 06:56 PM
I’m pretty skeptical of players from the gleague or overtime elite. I always feel that they over promote their players to promote their programs.

Still too early to tell, but Green and Kuminga look poised to be really good players. Don’t know how many years they’ve sent players so dont know much beyond those two tho.

CGD
06-06-2022, 07:03 PM
The Pacers are probably the one hope of one of Mathurin/Daniels sliding to 9 since they're probably too conservative to go with a wild card like Sharpe, so in the likely event Murray goes 4-5 and they think it's close between the aforementioned guards/wings and Davis, I could see him winning out based on being a better theoretical fit with Haliburton and Duarte.

To get one of Murray, Daniels, Marhurin, or Sharpe at 9, you have to hope a team ahead of us falls in love with either Sochan, Davis, or Duren. If the Pacers take Murray it does nothing to help te chances of Mathurin/Davis falling

BackHome
06-06-2022, 09:15 PM
Out of those guys I think someone will take a swing at Duren before our pick.

CGD
06-06-2022, 09:26 PM

Could see it but probably the one that makes the only sense is Blazers if they don’t trade the pick for Grant. Indy (Turner), Portland (Nurkic), Nola (Zion).

PhantomDashCam
06-06-2022, 09:35 PM
Don’t rule out the possibility of Detroit taking Duren at #5 too. Duren mentioned that he had a workout with them.
If they have been linked to Ayton, they may very well feel Duren is a better prospect and of significantly more value too.

rascal
06-06-2022, 09:41 PM
1. Smith
2. Holmgren
3. Banchero
4. Ivey
5.Sharpe
6. Murray
7. Duren
8. Mathurin
9. Sochan/Davis/Daniels/Griffin

These are the guys left. Spurs most likely end up taking Sochan.

BacktoBasics
06-06-2022, 09:44 PM
1. Smith
2. Holmgren
3. Banchero
4. Ivey
5.Sharpe
6. Murray
7. Duren
8. Mathurin
9. Sochan/Davis/Daniels/Griffin

These are the guys left. Spurs most likely end up taking Sochan.

I’m really warming up to Daniels.

Mr. Body
06-06-2022, 09:45 PM
I can see Duren and/or Branham popping into the top 10.

Degoat
06-06-2022, 09:50 PM
I really want the spurs to draft Johnny Davis but I think we end up taking Ousmane Dieng at 9 and then the 20th pick will be best available

Mr. Body
06-06-2022, 10:14 PM
I can see Duren and/or Branham popping into the top 10.

Oh, and AJ Griffin. There are a lot of players possible in the 5-10 range.

BatManu20
06-06-2022, 11:04 PM
I really want the spurs to draft Johnny Davis but I think we end up taking Ousmane Dieng at 9 and then the 20th pick will be best available

Still think Sochan or Griffin are more likely. But Dieng wouldn’t surprise me.

TD 21
06-06-2022, 11:08 PM
To get one of Murray, Daniels, Marhurin, or Sharpe at 9, you have to hope a team ahead of us falls in love with either Sochan, Davis, or Duren. If the Pacers take Murray it does nothing to help te chances of Mathurin/Davis falling

You clearly didn't comprehend my post. Re-read it.

Drom John
06-07-2022, 10:44 AM
Yahoo! | 2022 NBA Mock Draft 8.0: Dyson Daniels, Jalen Williams biggest first-round risers
Krysten Peek, June 7, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs: F Jeremy Sochan

Ht./Wt.: 6-9, 230 pounds | Class: Freshman | Baylor: 9.2 ppg, 6.4 rpg

Sochan had one of the best pro days during the draft combine and showcased his speed and consistent 3-point jumper — something that he struggled with at Baylor. The NBA spacing and pick-and-roll option caters to Sochan, and he will undoubtedly be a much better pro than his one year in college would indicate.

20. San Antonio Spurs: G Kennedy Chandler

Ht./Wt.: 6-0, 171 pounds | Class: Freshman | Tennessee: 13.3 ppg, 4.9 apg

25. San Antonio Spurs: G Jaden Hardy

Ht./Wt.: 6-4, 198 pounds | G League Ignite: 17.7 ppg, 3.2 apg

Drom John
06-07-2022, 11:08 AM
SI | NBA Mock Draft: Jabari Smith to Magic, Thunder Select Paolo Banchero and More Buzz
Jeremy Woo, June 6, 2022

9. Spurs: Jeremy Sochan, F, Baylor

Height: 6' 8" | Weight: 220 | Age: 19 | Freshman

Sochan has quietly built some buzz around the league and looks like a strong bet to go in the back half of the lottery, potentially in the top 10. He’s a particularly compelling fit in San Antonio, which has loaded up on perimeter players but could use some additional size up front, particularly with Jakob Poeltl entering a contract year. Sochan is one of the most intriguing prospects in the draft from a defensive standpoint, as a tough, smart, switchable forward who brings a ton of energy. His offensive game is more of a work in progress, but he’s a good ball-handler and passer for his size, and there’s a pretty reasonable chance he becomes a passable three-point shooter. There’s a lot to like here considering how advanced he is for his age.

20. Spurs (from Raptors): Nikola Jovic, F, Mega Basket (Serbia)

Height: 6' 11" | Weight: 220 | Age: 18

San Antonio’s roster is currently guard-heavy, with Dejounte Murray emerging as a star and the organization heavily invested in 19-year-old Josh Primo, so the frontcourt should be an area of emphasis in this draft. Keep in mind that it’s unlikely the Spurs use all their picks, with three first-rounders and four in the top 40. Jovic turns 19 this week and holds first-round appeal as a jumbo forward with perimeter skills, plus passing vision and a sweet jumper. He’s also a below-average athlete and likely to be a defensive liability, which may create issues in terms of fit, but the size-skill combination is often worth a gamble and he’s got some potential as a creative player in the right situation. The sense I’ve gotten is that Jovic is hoping to come over to the NBA next season, so this won’t necessarily be a stash pick.

25. Spurs (from Celtics): Patrick Baldwin Jr., PF, Milwaukee

Height: 6' 10" | Weight: 220 | Age: 19 | Freshman

As mentioned previously, the Spurs may not actually be the team making this pick given they have four draft picks in the top 40. There’s a segment of scouts that remain mostly out on Baldwin after a heavily disappointing year, but he’s started to build back a bit of goodwill after the combine and remains one of the most intriguing shooters in the draft, factoring in his size and clean stroke. Baldwin needs to be able to stay healthy, improve his conditioning, regain his confidence and string games together, but it’s hard to imagine things can get much worse for him than they did in college. Teams will have to understand the bad context and feel comfortable with the situation to actually take the leap here, but there are only so many knockdown shooters with his type of size. Baldwin’s athleticism, defense, and lack of physicality have inspired concerns to varying degrees, but at some point he’s worth a shot.

38. Spurs (from Lakers): Caleb Houstan, F, Michigan | Fr.

KingKev
06-07-2022, 11:10 AM
SI | NBA Mock Draft: Jabari Smith to Magic, Thunder Select Paolo Banchero and More Buzz
Jeremy Woo, June 6, 2022

That is a very likely outcome.

Drom John
06-07-2022, 11:12 AM
SI Fan Nation | 2022 NBA Mock Draft 2.0: Post-Early Entrant Deadline Edition
Brett Siegel, June 6, 2022

#9 San Antonio Spurs - G/F AJ Griffin (Duke - Freshman)

The San Antonio Spurs are always a major question mark in the draft, as you never know what to expect from them. Last year, they shocked everyone by taking Joshua Primo, the youngest player in the draft with one of the biggest upsides on the offensive-end of the floor. Still looking to find their identity and form a long-term, youthful core, San Antonio could be obligated to go after another high-potential guy like AJ Griffin to pair with Dejounte Murray and Keldon Johnson on the wing.

AJ Griffin checks off all the boxes for being an elite-level offensive wing moving forward and being just 18-years-old still, there is plenty of room for growth here. The Spurs are not in any rush to prove themselves and having some time to spend on developing long-term assets, Griffin could fit perfectly in the timeframe of how their roster is currently constructed with youth. Adding more talent on the offensive-end of the floor is vital for San Antonio moving forward, which is why selecting Griffin here makes sense.

#20 San Antonio Spurs - G Jaden Hardy (G League Ignite)

Seeing as they already took AJ Griffin earlier, the Spurs may look to target a frontcourt talent if they were to keep this 20th overall selection. However, San Antonio likes to take chances and going after a high-potential guy like Jaden Hardy could be too good of an opportunity to pass up on.

Drafting Jaden Hardy, a high-potential guard that has shown flashes of being a primary ball-handler, gives the Spurs a possible long-term replacement for Derrick White, who they traded away at the trade deadline, at the shooting guard position. While not a traditional guard, Hardy has no problem creating for himself or others and there are definitely aspects of his game that resemble traits of an NBA All-Star.

#25 San Antonio Spurs - C Walker Kessler (Auburn, Sophomore)

With Griffin and Hardy already heading to San Antonio in this mock draft, the Spurs will likely go ahead and draft for value with their third first-round pick that will almost definitely be moved. They could look to add backcourt depth, but having Joshua Primo and Tre Jones, it likely makes more sense to take one of the bigs that has fallen a little bit.

Being a strong looking shot-blocker that also has great footwork around the rim offensively, Walker Kessler is definitely an intriguing center prospect for the Spurs to add not only for depth behind Jakob Poeltl, but possibly as his replacement in the near future. As reported by HoopsHype’s Michael Scotto this season, the Spurs did hold some trade discussion centered around Poeltl, so it is possible he could be on the move at some point during the 2022-23 season.

#38 San Antonio Spurs - G Jean Montero (Overtime Elite)

rascal
06-07-2022, 11:14 AM
Jeremy Woo, June 6, 2022

Adding a bunch of below average athletes.

Drom John
06-07-2022, 11:18 AM
Rookie Wire | 2022 NBA Mock Draft 5.0: Projecting every pick after early entry deadline
Cody Taylor, June 3, 2022

9 San Antonio Spurs: Bennedict Mathurin, Arizona

Height: 6-6

Weight: 204

Year: Sophomore

Position: G

The Pac-12 Player of the Year, averaged 17.7 points, 5.6 rebounds, 2.5 assists and one steal in 37 games. He is viewed as a safe pick at this point of the draft and has the tools to develop into a knockdown shooter at the next level. He will need to improve as a defender but has the size and strength needed to emerge on that end of the floor. However, it will be his ability on offense that teams will be intrigued with.

20 San Antonio Spurs (from Toronto): Nikola Jovic, KK Mega Basket (Serbia)
Jovic averaged 12 points, 4.8 rebounds and 3.6 assists with KK Mega Basket in the Adriatic League. He shot 41.4% from the field, including 31.5% from 3-point range, in 29 total games this season. The Spurs have been heavily linked with international prospects over the years and, with three first-round picks this year, could look to take a chance on Jovic.

25 San Antonio Spurs (from Boston): Caleb Houstan, Michigan
Houstan, who was once projected to be a lottery pick, is now viewed as a borderline first-round pick. He is rumored to have received a draft promise after skipping the combine last month as speculation has swirled as to which team could have given him that guarantee. He certainly feels strongly about his draft stock after forgoing his collegiate eligibility and could hear his name called in this range.

38. San Antonio (from Lakers): Ryan Rollins, Toledo

rascal
06-07-2022, 11:19 AM
That is a very likely outcome.

A very disappointing outcome

Drom John
06-07-2022, 11:22 AM
NBA | Consensus Mock Draft: Latest look shows Smith emerging as likely No. 1
Drew Packham, June 7, 2022

MOST COMMON PICKS
No. 9 (Spurs): Jalen Duren (4)

Top 14 (below): To calculate the consensus, we award 14 points for every mock draft in which the player went first overall, 13 for second, continuing to one point for the final lottery pick. The player with the highest point total represents the top overall selection, which is as follows:

9. Johnny Davis | San Antonio Spurs

Wisconsin | Position: SG | Height: 6-5 | Prospect profile
Most Common: 10 (5)

A guard who likes to work in the paint, Davis has a midrange game that could translate well to the NBA. Has shown the desire and passion to become solid defender.

rjv
06-07-2022, 11:24 AM
the basic strategy of a mock draft is to throw as many darts by having multiple mocks and eventually some of these mocks will get at least a few picks right. the reality is that we're all just guessing and hoping.

Drom John
06-07-2022, 11:26 AM
Fantasy Pros | 2022 NBA Mock Draft: Full Two Round Picks & Predictions
Kyle Williams, June 5, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs – Jalen Duren (C – Memphis)

The Spurs continue to be loaded in the backcourt with Devin Vassell
, Josh Primo, Lonnie Walker
, Keldon Johnson
, and Dejounte Murray
, but for some reason, they seem content on shedding Jakob Poeltl
this offseason, the team’s only real big. Putting the pieces together, pairing Duren, an 18-year-old physically imposing big man, to the mix would make a ton of sense. With Dejounte Murray at the helm, the pick and roll between these two would help open up the floor spacing for shooters such as Lonnie Walker and Josh Primo.

20. San Antonio Spurs – Nikola Jovic (G – Serbia)

Name a more iconic duo than young raw international prospects and Greg Popovich. I’ll wait. Jovic is a classic Spurs guy: smart, scrappy, has room for upside, and is a dynamic off-ball shooter. With Lonnie Walker not being exactly what the team hoped for in a small forward, Jovic can be all that and more.

25. San Antonio Spurs – MarJon Beauchamp (F – G League Ignite)

Adding another gritty forward to the mix would work wonders for the Spurs. Beauchamp is an excellent and versatile defender and possesses the ability to move around and score the ball at will. He’s arguably one of the most pro-ready prospects and should start from Day 1.

38. San Antonio Spurs – John Butler (F – Florida State)

exstatic
06-07-2022, 11:29 AM

I wouldn’t hate that at all.

Drom John
06-07-2022, 11:31 AM
Fansided King James Gospel | NBA Mock Draft 4.0: Picks for the entire first round
Josh Cornelissen, 4 minutes ago, AKA June 7, 2022

A.J. Griffin
Forward, San Antonio Spurs
San Antonio Spurs

Portland and New Orleans passing on A.J. Griffin, a player who could go as high as fourth, means the San Antonio Spurs get a true knockdown shooter, the kind of player who will evoke memories of some of the great shooters in San Antonio’s history. Griffin hit 48.3 percent of his 3-point shots, which will be a shot in the arm to a Spurs offense that has fallen into loving midrange shots too much.

Griffin’s defensive question marks will be well-supported in an ecosystem like the Spurs, and their collection of strong defenders can both cover up for him and help to develop him on that end. The upside is real and the shooting is lethal.

Dalen Terry
Wing, San Antonio Spurs
San Antonio Spurs

Jalen Williams is a popular pick to shoot up draft boards; Dalen Terry is a little more under the radar, but his ball-handling and playmaking skills at his size make him a prime candidate to sneak into the top 20 as well. He is 6’6″ and could be the backup to Dejounte Murray in San Antonio while also playing alongside him as the shot continues to develop. His defensive potential is monstrous, and combining him and Murray makes for a devastating pairing.

Jake LaRavia
Forward, San Antonio Spurs
San Antonio Spurs

One of two teams with three first-round picks, the San Antonio Spurs have a chance to really build out their young core to try and continue competing with coach Gregg Popovich. This mock draft has seen them add an elite shooter in A.J. Griffin and a wing creator in Dalen Terry. Jake LaRavia is their third pick, the kind of skilled player the Spurs have historically excelled at developing. His combination of shooting and off-ball movement set him up for a long career as a role player.

Drom John
06-07-2022, 11:35 AM
Sports Naut | 2022 NBA mock draft: Jabari Smith to Magic at one, top-5 surprise
Vincent Frank, June 5, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs: AJ Griffin, forward, Duke
Yet another Duke product that finds himself as one of our top-10 NBA Draft prospects, Griffin is an interesting figure leading up to the annual event. He didn’t draw as much attention as Banchero, but there’s a whole lot to like. That included Griffin shooting a resounding 45% from three-point range as a freshman. Not bad for a 6-foot-6 wing. San Antonio could use this type of shooting from the frontcourt moving forward with the excess of wings the team currently boasts.

20. San Anonio Spurs (from Raptors): Jeremy Sochan, forward, Baylor

25. San Antonio Spurs (from Celtics): Walker Kessler, center, Auburn

38. San Antonio Spurs (from Lakers): Christian Koloko, center, Arizona

Drom John
06-07-2022, 11:39 AM
Covers | 2022 NBA Mock Draft Version 1: Magic Go With the Favorite At the Top
Rohit Ponnaiya, June 3, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs: Dyson Daniels, SG, G League Ignite

A long combo-guard who can attack the rim, create for others, rebound, and play tough defense. San Antonio could really use another ball-handler alongside Dejounte Murray and adding the eerily similar Daniels would be very intriguing.

20. Spurs (via TOR): Mark Williams, C, Duke

The Spurs had no depth behind Jakob Poeltl last season and Williams would be a big help in that area. The 240-pound Williams had a massive standing reach of 9-foot-9 at the combine and was named the ACC Defensive Player of the Year after leading Duke with 7.4 rebounds and 2.8 blocks per game. He's also an efficient scorer inside the paint and is reliable at the charity stripe.

25. Spurs (via BOS): Jake LaRavia, F, Wake Forest

LaRavia has power forward size with a small forward skillset. He is a versatile, high IQ player that can help a team in a variety of ways. His stock also took a boost when it was revealed that he was actually 20 years old and not the 22 he had previously been listed at (funny how just two years can change how prospects are viewed).

rjv
06-07-2022, 11:39 AM
^^ awful mock (sports naut's mock, that is). and no way sochan goes as far down as 20.

Drom John
06-07-2022, 11:50 AM
US News Mail | 2022 NBA mock draft: Best fit vs. best available for every team
3 hours ago, AKA 7 June 2022

9 San Antonio Spurs

Needs: Shaedon Sharpe | Kentucky | SG | Age: 19.0

Best available: Jalen Duren | Memphis | C | Age: 18.5

The Spurs are in need of a star, as they haven’t won a playoff series in five years and don’t look particularly close to doing so with their existing core. Sharpe’s excellent size, frame, explosiveness, dynamic shot-making and overall scoring instincts make him easily one of the most talented prospects in this draft class, as he possesses everything NBA teams look for at his position, with considerable upside to grow into long-term.

If opting for more of a needs-based approach, Duren could be very attractive here too. The center would offer a succession plan for the Spurs regarding Jakob Poeltl, who is entering the final year of his contract and may not be an ideal fit with the team’s timetable. Duren is also arguably the most physically gifted big man in the draft, at 6-10, 250 pounds with a 7-5 wingspan. He has a ready-made role from Day 1 as a lob-catching shot-blocker with the huge catch radius he displays, the excellent timing he shows as a rim-protector and the way he uses verticality to his advantage, but also has significant room for growth in terms of skill level as the game slows down for him entering his 20s.

20. San Antonio Spurs (via Raptors)

Needs: Walker Kessler | Auburn | C | Age: 20.8

Best available: E.J. Liddell | Ohio State | PF | Age: 21.4

The Spurs are one of the smallest teams in the NBA in the frontcourt and could get even smaller if Jakob Poeltl isn’t retained in free agency next summer. Kessler, the NCAA Defensive Player of the Year, who stands 7-1, 245 pounds, with a 7-4 wingspan, is a force as a rim protector but also brings strong pick-and-roll finishing ability and even some potential as a perimeter shooter. Kessler is a steady offensive presence with his ability to catch difficult passes, hammer home lobs, finish with touch around the basket and make good decisions out of short rolls, which should make him a good fit in San Antonio’s offense.

If opting for more of a best-player-available approach, the Spurs could be attracted to the versatility and productivity offered by Liddell. At 6-7, Liddell is undersized for an NBA power forward, but makes up for that with a near 7-foot wingspan and chiseled 243-pound frame. He brings a strong defensive versatility with a much improved shooting stroke that made him a weapon from beyond the 3-point line.

25. San Antonio Spurs (via Celtics)

Needs: Jaden Hardy | G League Ignite | SG | Age: 19.9

Best available: Blake Wesley | Notre Dame | SG | Age: 19.2

With their final pick of the first round, the Spurs can afford to take a swing on the player with the biggest upside possible, in hopes of striking gold like they previously did late in the first round with Keldon Johnson, Derrick White and Dejounte Murray. Hardy still has plenty of upside to tap into as a shot-making, instinctual scorer who is only 19. Adding more shooting alongside Murray should be an attractive proposition for the Spurs and Hardy has the type of scoring talent that could allow him to anchor a bench unit down the road if he continues to progress with his frame and decision-making.

If Hardy is unavailable and the Spurs are still looking to take a plunge on a high-upside prospect who needs time to develop, Notre Dame’s Wesley is another attractive option. Wesley is one of the most physically gifted guards in this draft, capable of getting into the paint at will with his strong frame and explosive first step. He made strides as the season moved on both defensively and with his ability to create for teammates, and if he can continue to evolve as a shooter, he has the potential to be an absolute steal at this stage of the draft.

8. Spurs (via Lakers)

Needs: Kendall Brown | Baylor | SF | Age: 19.0

Best available: Wendell Moore Jr., | Duke | SF | Age: 20.6

Drom John
06-07-2022, 11:55 AM
Winners and Whiners | 2022 NBA First Round Mock Draft-Part I
Ben the Pen [Ben Hayes], 3 days ago, AKA 4 June 2022

9)San Antonio Spurs, A.J. Griffin, Duke, SF, 6-6, 222

Another team that needs talent. Griffin has all the physical tools and the size, but lacks consistency. He can flat-out shoot the ball, but the rest of his game needs to catch up. Has the length to be a very good 3-and-D player. The Spurs could use another strong perimeter shooter who made nearly 45% of his three-point attempts last season.

20)San Antonio Spurs, Jaden Hardy, G League Ignite, (6-4, 190)

If the Spurs keep this pick. Hardy makes some sense here. Hardy is a talented guard, but he didn’t test or scrimmage at the combine. He can flat-out score and is about to turn 20. There is some upside though he’s not a very athletic player, which is why he probably didn’t test.

25)San Antonio Spurs, Jake LaRavia, Wake Forest, PF (6-8, 235)

If the Spurs keep this pick, they probably go with a stash-and-dash-type of pick, but I think they will trade it. LaRavia moved up to the first round by making 18-of-25 from three-point range in Chicago. Even though he spent three years in college, he’s just 20 and showed at the combine that he’s fairly athletic. Very good passer and highly skilled will get him a long look as a possible first-rounder.

lmbebo
06-07-2022, 11:58 AM
Winners and Whiners | 2022 NBA First Round Mock Draft-Part I
Ben the Pen [Ben Hayes], 3 days ago, AKA 4 June 2022

No way spurs go with Griffin ... I think he's gonna slide based on mocks.

JPB
06-07-2022, 12:23 PM
Duren, Jovic, Beauchamp would indeed be pretty fine. I wouln't mind Sochan at 9 either.

scott
06-07-2022, 12:32 PM

4 Forwards..

I like it.

The way this one plays out, I'd rather us go with Mathurin @ 9, Eason @ 20, okay with Baldwin @ 25, Porcida @ 38.

scott
06-07-2022, 12:39 PM
Mathurin gonna be an awesome backup when we sign MF'n Zach LaVine :hat

Don't GAF what happens to Primo or Vassell's development at that point either. Devin can easily move to the 3. Primo with either find a role or he won't. It's irrelevant at this point.

exstatic
06-07-2022, 12:47 PM
Mathurin gonna be an awesome backup when we sign MF'n Zach LaVine :hat

Don't GAF what happens to Primo or Vassell's development at that point either. Devin can easily move to the 3. Primo with either find a role or he won't. It's irrelevant at this point.

LaVine isn’t signing here.

CGD
06-07-2022, 01:35 PM
You clearly didn't comprehend my post. Re-read it.

You mean the one you edited for clarity post-fact?

CGD
06-07-2022, 01:41 PM
Duren, Jovic, Beauchamp would indeed be pretty fine. I wouln't mind Sochan at 9 either.

I agree. I'm warming to Duren at 9, and it sounds like Jovic wants to come over this year making it more appealing as well.

rascal
06-07-2022, 01:42 PM
Agree, but I wonder what explains the Griffin slide. Is the injury that bad?

Injuries have hurt some of his athleticism.

Other players have jumped ahead of him in potential.

rascal
06-07-2022, 01:42 PM
Agree, but I wonder what explains the Griffin slide. Is the injury that bad?

Injuries have hurt some of his athleticism.

Other players have jumped ahead of him in potential.

exstatic
06-07-2022, 02:25 PM

Yeah, I think he's probably more valued by professionals than mockers.

CGD
06-07-2022, 02:33 PM
Yeah, I think he's probably more valued by professionals than mockers.

I feel the same dynamic is true for Sochan, but in the opposite direction.

exstatic
06-07-2022, 02:53 PM
I feel the same dynamic is true for Sochan, but in the opposite direction.

Sochan is just flat a weird prospect. He's kind of international, kind of athletic (horizontal). That lateral movement will help him both on defense and on offense, but that 58% FT shooting scares the bejeezus out of me. Doesn't help me think his 3 point shooting will improve a lot. He is that big wing we covet, though.

Chinook
06-07-2022, 03:04 PM

I think he's saying that Murray going before Indy would mean they'd take Davis over Mathurin or Daniels. You can disagree with him, but he's not saying Indy taking Murray helps the Spurs. He thinks Indy has Murray, then Davis, then Mathurin/Daniels on their board whereas most teams probably have Mathurin/Daniels above Davis.

Mr. Body
06-07-2022, 03:25 PM
Sochan is just flat a weird prospect. He's kind of international, kind of athletic (horizontal). That lateral movement will help him both on defense and on offense, but that 58% FT shooting scares the bejeezus out of me. Doesn't help me think his 3 point shooting will improve a lot. He is that big wing we covet, though.

Yeah, you have to hope the ft% is a fluke. His form isn't terrible and his 3pt% isn't terrible. The sample size is somewhat limited -- I mean that he shot 1.8/3.0 fts per game.

Expressed per 36, his total fg% was a good bit better than Kawhi as a sophomore, his 3pt% was an iota better, and (per 36) they shot pretty much the same number of fts. If Sochan hit one more ft per 36 minutes, he's at a good percentage. Can he do that? I... don't see why not.

Leonard beats him in almost every advanced metric:

https://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=jeremy-sochan--kawhi-leonard

But Sochan is close in some. Also, he's only a freshman while Kawhi was a sophomore when he came out. He also has Kawhi by a couple inches. Sochan just turned 19 a couple weeks ago. (Primo is only like five months older.)

Does this project Sochan as a Kawhi? I wish. In retrospect it's crazy that Leonard dropped to #15. Looking back at that draft (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NBA_draft), there's a lot of "what the fuck?" ism, showing how fuckety teams can get with drafts.

But I hope Sochan can have a strong impact defensively while still having a great room to grow offensively.

TD 21
06-07-2022, 03:57 PM
You mean the one you edited for clarity post-fact?

Which was done a few hours before you quoted it.

I think he's saying that Murray going before Indy would mean they'd take Davis over Mathurin or Daniels. You can disagree with him, but he's not saying Indy taking Murray helps the Spurs. He thinks Indy has Murray, then Davis, then Mathurin/Daniels on their board whereas most teams probably have Mathurin/Daniels above Davis.

No, I said if they think there's little to nothing separating Daniels, Mathurin and Davis, that Davis might win out on the count of his arguably being the best fit with their current youth.

Mr. Body
06-07-2022, 04:03 PM
Continuing the thought, here is Sochan, Tari Eason, Kawhi, and then Chris Singleton from the same 2011 draft class, who was drafted three spots behind Leonard but was regarded by many as a great defensive prospect. He fizzled out due to offensive issues after only three years.

https://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=tari-eason--jeremy-sochan--kawhi-leonard--chris-singleton

I continue to be stunned by Eason's advanced metrics.

CGD
06-07-2022, 04:55 PM

Totally -- I think folks are seeing a lot of Draymond in him because of his agitation tendencies and are afraid of missing. Btw i love someone like that on the team, just not at #9.

John B
06-07-2022, 05:18 PM

He’s Draymond with blonde hair :lol. But I’m warming on Eason where Spurs could potentially get him at 13-15.

I should stop fixating with my wish list, and prepare myself on getting disappointed with out of left field Spurs are picking :lol. Is it June 23 yet?

Chinook
06-07-2022, 05:20 PM
No, I said if they think there's little to nothing separating Daniels, Mathurin and Davis, that Davis might win out on the count of his arguably being the best fit with their current youth.

The IF doesn't matter. The scenario you're hoping for is saying that they do. The "Davis might win out on the count of his arguably being the best fit with their current youth" literally means, "Davis might be higher on their board." Unless you're so worried about someone running in here and calling you out in the event that Murray is taken before Indy and they pick Maturin/Daniels, it doesn't matter. MY point is that you didn't say Indy picking Murray was the thing that could help the Spurs get Mathurin/Daniels. It was specifically Murray not being an option for Indy and them picking the a guy to push the others down. That's why CGD's response didn't make sense, and why you were justified (though obviously terse) to say they should reread what you typed. You were already assuming one of Davis, Sochan or whomever jumped into the top six. You guys didn't disagree on premise, but CGD didn't know that.

Chinook
06-07-2022, 05:23 PM
Continuing the thought, here is Sochan, Tari Eason, Kawhi, and then Chris Singleton from the same 2011 draft class, who was drafted three spots behind Leonard but was regarded by many as a great defensive prospect. He fizzled out due to offensive issues after only three years.

https://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=tari-eason--jeremy-sochan--kawhi-leonard--chris-singleton

I continue to be stunned by Eason's advanced metrics.

Yep. Eason is more like Brandon Clarke but a combo-forward rather than a combo-big. They both put up superstar numbers in college. Kawhi was much more raw offensively, but he had already started showing enough in pre-draft workouts to be considered a wing (though he played PF for stretches for multiple years in the NBA). Singleton's actually become a very good player in Europe, though I think he knows he wouldn't make it if he came back.

Thomas82
06-07-2022, 06:47 PM
A very disappointing outcome

Very, very disappointing.

Thomas82
06-07-2022, 06:51 PM

Man, if we get Jalen Duren and John Butler........:wow:wow

Mr. Body
06-07-2022, 06:55 PM
Yep. Eason is more like Brandon Clarke but a combo-forward rather than a combo-big. They both put up superstar numbers in college. Kawhi was much more raw offensively, but he had already started showing enough in pre-draft workouts to be considered a wing (though he played PF for stretches for multiple years in the NBA). Singleton's actually become a very good player in Europe, though I think he knows he wouldn't make it if he came back.

My gut is that Eason just doesn't fit in an organized team setting. This is a reason why LSU brought him in off the bench, where he had a very high usage rate because they didn't have much else going for them. Also worth noting is that he played for Cincinnati and LSU, neither of which is known for much structure.

Eason is an often astounding wrecking ball of a player, but is highly instinctual. Not the 'academy' type shown in one of those scouting videos (Chris Paul, Tim Duncan), who are students of the game and understand sets and multiple permutations. Conversely, Eason plays on impulse and sheer feel. When that feel isn't there, I'm not sure what happens.

Eason is awesome picking up blocks, swiping the ball, ripping it out of hands, barrelling in for scores. The suggestion is that he struggles with defending in a team environment, with structure, plays with complete tunnel vision, isn't able to make multiple reads or recognize mismatches or game situations. I'm not saying he's a nutcase in that regard, just saying that these are far from strong suits.

In this regard, Eason seems more like Singleton. He is amazingly productive, but may never be a consistent starter because he blows things up (on both ends) constantly, either not understanding what to do or freelancing. A team like Atlanta or Chicago could get a hell of a player just after the lottery. I'm not sure he's the guy with a lottery pick.

rascal
06-07-2022, 07:12 PM
My gut is that Eason just doesn't fit in an organized team setting. This is a reason why LSU brought him in off the bench, where he had a very high usage rate because they didn't have much else going for them. Also worth noting is that he played for Cincinnati and LSU, neither of which is known for much structure.

Eason is an often astounding wrecking ball of a player, but is highly instinctual. Not the 'academy' type shown in one of those scouting videos (Chris Paul, Tim Duncan), who are students of the game and understand sets and multiple permutations. Conversely, Eason plays on impulse and sheer feel. When that feel isn't there, I'm not sure what happens.

Eason is awesome picking up blocks, swiping the ball, ripping it out of hands, barrelling in for scores. The suggestion is that he struggles with defending in a team environment, with structure, plays with complete tunnel vision, isn't able to make multiple reads or recognize mismatches or game situations. I'm not saying he's a nutcase in that regard, just saying that these are far from strong suits.

In this regard, Eason seems more like Singleton. He is amazingly productive, but may never be a consistent starter because he blows things up (on both ends) constantly, either not understanding what to do or freelancing. A team like Atlanta or Chicago could get a hell of a player just after the lottery. I'm not sure he's the guy with a lottery pick.

You tend to do too much comparing player to other players.

Each player is a unique individual and not like any other player.

Maddog
06-07-2022, 07:44 PM
Yeah, you have to hope the ft% is a fluke. His form isn't terrible and his 3pt% isn't terrible. The sample size is somewhat limited -- I mean that he shot 1.8/3.0 fts per game.

Expressed per 36, his total fg% was a good bit better than Kawhi as a sophomore, his 3pt% was an iota better, and (per 36) they shot pretty much the same number of fts. If Sochan hit one more ft per 36 minutes, he's at a good percentage. Can he do that? I... don't see why not.

Leonard beats him in almost every advanced metric:

https://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=jeremy-sochan--kawhi-leonard

But Sochan is close in some. Also, he's only a freshman while Kawhi was a sophomore when he came out. He also has Kawhi by a couple inches. Sochan just turned 19 a couple weeks ago. (Primo is only like five months older.)

Does this project Sochan as a Kawhi? I wish. In retrospect it's crazy that Leonard dropped to #15. Looking back at that draft (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NBA_draft), there's a lot of "what the fuck?" ism, showing how fuckety teams can get with drafts.

But I hope Sochan can have a strong impact defensively while still having a great room to grow offensively.

I think one of the tantalizing features of Sochan is he does a lot things well and you can start to extrapolate from there and compare him to really good players.
You see a little Boris, a little Draymond etc.
It's all based on limited data and odds are against him or for that matter the majority of picks at 9+ ever becoming all stars

Mr. Body
06-07-2022, 09:18 PM
You tend to do too much comparing player to other players.

Each player is a unique individual and not like any other player.

Categorization and comparison are tools that have allowed humanity to attain longer, healthier lives of great fulfillment. Not using those tools leads you to rooting around in the garbage eating rotten vegetables.

The Truth #6
06-08-2022, 12:23 AM

These are legitimate points to consider. In the end, I’m fairly down on all of our prospects in that they all have challenges, and what they offer is likely not what we need. The flip side of this is that some teams will strike gold late in the draft and it will probably just be luck. Outside the top 5, so many prospects have so many question marks. Shit, even the top 5 have question marks. Maybe it’s good we have three picks and increase our odds.

Mr. Body
06-08-2022, 12:26 AM
These are legitimate points to consider. In the end, I’m fairly down on all of our prospects in that they all have challenges, and what they offer is likely not what we need. The flip side of this is that some teams will strike gold late in the draft and it will probably just be luck. Outside the top 5, so many prospects have so many question marks. Shit, even the top 5 have question marks. Maybe it’s good we have three picks and increase our odds.

I'm optimistic. There are some nice players available and the team can be improved considerably in this draft. Hell, for another comparison, at least by statistics Johnny Davis compares very favorably with Bradley Beale. Him, Duren, M. Williams, any of these guys are going to be a big upgrade and help.

The Truth #6
06-08-2022, 10:46 AM
I'm optimistic. There are some nice players available and the team can be improved considerably in this draft. Hell, for another comparison, at least by statistics Johnny Davis compares very favorably with Bradley Beale. Him, Duren, M. Williams, any of these guys are going to be a big upgrade and help.

I suppose I shouldn't say I'm fairly down on all of them. More like, it will be interesting to see who ends up being good and who doesn't. There are a lot of similarly tiered players. But yeah, we have a lot of needs, so it won't take much to upgrade our roster, I suppose. Lol.

Drom John
06-08-2022, 11:49 AM
Fantasy Pros | 2022 NBA Mock Draft: First Round Picks, Predictions & Player Notes
Ari Koslow, June 8, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs – Johnny Davis (SG – Wisconsin)

I like the fit of Davis joining Dejounte Murray in the Spurs backcourt. A pure scorer out of Wisconsin, Davis holds an elite scoring ability from anywhere on the court as a shooter and someone who can finish at the hoop.

0. San Antonio Spurs – MarJon Beauchamp (F – G League Ignite)

We have seen Greg Popovich and the Spurs draft these project players. They are usually international prospects, but this time they elect to take a chance on Beauchamp out of the G League. A super versatile player, Beauchamp is a very intriguing prospect for a Spurs team in an interesting situation right now.

25. San Antonio Spurs – Dalen Terry (F – Arizona)

I previously mentioned Jeremy Sochan being one of the most versatile players in this class. Terry fits that bill as well as someone who can play almost any position. After entering the NBA Draft but keeping his college eligibility at Arizona, Terry maintained his draft status. He becomes a very intriguing fit with the Spurs as someone who offers a lot of upside as a defender with room to grow as a shooter and overall scorer.

rjv
06-08-2022, 12:34 PM
Fantasy Pros | 2022 NBA Mock Draft: First Round Picks, Predictions & Player Notes
Ari Koslow, June 8, 2022

i wouldn't be too thrilled with marjon at #20

Drom John
06-09-2022, 02:29 PM
Bleacher Report | 2022 NBA Mock Draft: How 3 Trades Can Shake Up the Top 10
Greg Swartz, June 9, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs: Dyson Daniels, G, G League Ignite

If the Spurs miss Derrick White after trading him to the Boston Celtics at the deadline, they could take the next closest player to him now—one with an even higher ceiling.

Daniels is a good pick-and-roll facilitator that can see over opponents with his near 6'8" frame. He's not a very good outside shooter but can be a high-level defender.

He'll take some of the ball-handling pressure off of Dejounte Murray and fill every role that the Spurs ask of him.

20. San Antonio Spurs (via Toronto Raptors): Nikola Jovic, F, Mega Mozzart

Jovic is a 6'10" forward who can handle the ball and gives the Spurs another big playmaker who can do a little bit of everything. Playing for San Antonio should help him develop as a defender as well.

25. San Antonio Spurs (via Boston Celtics): Christian Koloko, C, Arizona

After adding some perimeter help in Dyson Daniels and Nikola Jovic, the Spurs spend their third first-rounder on paint protection. Koloko is a mobile big man who gets to learn behind Jakob Poeltl and could eventually earn the starting center job in San Antonio as early as next year.

John B
06-09-2022, 02:41 PM
Bleacher Report | 2022 NBA Mock Draft: How 3 Trades Can Shake Up the Top 10
Greg Swartz, June 9, 2022

I wouldn’t hate this take:

Daniels 9
Jovic 20
Koloko 25

But I would try to get Eason instead of Jovic, or Liddell if Eason is taken.

Drom John
06-09-2022, 03:37 PM
USA Today | 2022 NBA Mock Draft 7.0: Predicting all 58 picks based on latest intel, rumors, and workouts
Bryon Kalbrosky, June 9, 2022

San Antonio Spurs: Johnny Davis

Wisconsin Badgers: Guard, Sophomore, 6-5

After starting off the season as one of the best players in college basketball, injuries eventually slowed Johnny Davis’ productivity at Wisconsin.

When asked about potentially suiting up for San Antonio next season, the Wisconsin standout guard had this to say:

“Playing under coach Popovich, the most famous coach in NBA history, would be something I would really want to happen.”

Davis reportedly met with the Spurs for a pre-draft workout, and if he is available when San Antonio is on the clock, it’s a marriage that would make a lot of sense.

San Antonio Spurs: Jake LaRavia

Wake Forest Demon Deacons: Wing, Junior, 6-8

20-year-old forward Jake LaRavia is one of my favorite do-it-all prospects in this draft class, an ideal modern-day four.

After performing well during his athletic testing at the NBA Draft Combine, the 6-foot-8 prospect decided to opt-out of the 5-on-5 scrimmages because he was reportedly comfortable with his projected range on draft night.

The Spurs will soon host LaRavia for a pre-draft workout, For The Win has learned. LaRavia is the type of player who would do well in San Antonio’s development system. Plus, the last time the Spurs used a first-round pick on an upperclassman from Wake Forest, it turned out well.

San Antonio Spurs: Max Christie

Michigan State Spartans: Wing, Freshman, 6-6

He didn’t have the most impressive freshman season. But Michigan State’s Max Christie, who was the fastest sprinter at the combine, has shown some promise.

Just read this quote about Christie during his time with Team USA (via The Athletic):

“Always the first to show up in the gym. The first to ask the question in the team meetings. Always, literally, pushing himself as like ‘I’m going to be the voice; I’m going to be the leader,’ in a good way. He was always, like the team would be quiet, he would be the one to say something. He’s the extrovert when it comes to things like that. And he was a great teammate. And he played great. We had Max three times before we actually picked the team, in three camps, and he was that way from the first camp. Always, we go through drills at the first camp. The second camp, he was going to be first in line to make sure everybody knew, saw the way the drill was supposed to go. The guy who’d say ‘Hey, fellas, let’s make sure we pick up the trash in the cafeteria.’ He was that guy. For jerks, he was probably like ‘Why is this dude telling me what to do?’ But for the guys we wanted around, they would definitely feed off of that type of leadership.”

Yeah, that’s someone the Spurs are going to absolutely fall in love with.

38. San Antonio Spurs: Kennedy Chandler (Tennessee Volunteers: Guard, Freshman, 6-0)

Uriel
06-09-2022, 03:44 PM
So what would be the Spurs comparison for these prospects?

Dyson Daniels is Derrick White with a higher ceiling.
Jeremy Sochan is Boris Diaw.
Johnny Davis is a poor man's Manu Ginobili.
Ousmane Dieng is a rich man's Kyle Anderson.
Bennedict Mathurin is a cross between Devin Vassell and Lonnie Walker.

CGD
06-09-2022, 07:33 PM
So what would be the Spurs comparison for these prospects?

Dyson Daniels is Derrick White with a higher ceiling.
Jeremy Sochan is Boris Diaw.
Johnny Davis is a poor man's Manu Ginobili.
Ousmane Dieng is a rich man's Kyle Anderson.
Bennedict Mathurin is a cross between Devin Vassell and Lonnie Walker.

Yes, except I think Marhurin is basically slightly taller Lonnie. Don’t see vassell in there.

Also, I can see a world where the spurs already see Primo as more confident version of White, which is why I don’t think they’ll ultimately take Daniels even if he slips.

Mr. Body
06-09-2022, 08:26 PM
Yes, except I think Marhurin is basically slightly taller Lonnie. Don’t see vassell in there.

Also, I can see a world where the spurs already see Primo as more confident version of White, which is why I don’t think they’ll ultimately take Daniels even if he slips.

Walker and Mathurin are the same only in type. Mathurin, other than being much more productive coming out of college (take that as you will), is basically a Lonnie Walker with a ridiculous amount of confidence. Maybe too much, in fact. One of his knocks is that he sometimes takes shots he shouldn't. One video analysis points out he shoots anytime the PNR defense went under the screen, like an instant trigger pull. Of course that was his role, but the guy doesn't have Walker's wobbly knees.

Drom John
06-10-2022, 01:30 PM
CBS | 2022 NBA Mock Draft: Jabari Smith moves up to No. 2 to Thunder behind Chet Holmgren at No. 1 to Magic
Gary Parrish, 1 hour ago AKA June 10, 2022

Round 1 - Pick 9
team logo
team logo
headshot-image
Jalen Duren C
Memphis • Fr • 6'11" / 250 lbs
Projected Team
San Antonio
PROSPECT RNK
17th
POSITION RNK
2nd
PPG
RPG
APG
FG%
59.7%
Duren isn't really the type of floor-spacing big franchises prefer these days, but he's such a physical specimen and great athlete that there's probably a place for him in the top 10 of this draft. At worst, he should be a terrific rim-running and rim-protecting center who alters shots, dunks everything and is good enough guarding in space.

Round 1 - Pick 20
team logo
team logo
headshot-image
Jaden Hardy SG
G League Ignite • 6'4" / 185 lbs
Projected Team
San Antonio
PROSPECT RNK
24th
POSITION RNK
6th
PPG
RPG
APG
3P%
26.9%
Hardy didn't do much over the past year to help his draft stock — but he's still a likely first-round talent capable of developing into a special player. Being drafted by a franchise like San Antonio would probably be the best thing for the trajectory of his career.

Round 1 - Pick 25
team logo
team logo
headshot-image
Christian Braun SG
Kansas • Jr • 6'6" / 218 lbs
Projected Team
San Antonio
PROSPECT RNK
40th
POSITION RNK
13th
PPG
RPG
APG
3P%
38.6%
Braun is a wing with size who can guard his position, reliably make jumpers and finish in transition. He's the type of prospect who could flourish in the culture San Antonio has established.

Drom John
06-10-2022, 01:34 PM
Sportsbook Review | 2022 NBA Mock Draft: Jaden Ivey to the Thunder?
Jon Metler, Jun 10, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs: Bennedict Mathurin, SG/SF, Arizona

Mathurin provides the Spurs with a second guard to pair with Dejounte Murray in the backcourt. Mathurin is one of my favorite prospects in this draft and I believe he will have a much greater impact in the NBA than he has been given credit for. It's not by chance that the Arizona Wildcats were picked to finish 4th in the Pac-12 and ended up as a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

20. San Antonio Spurs: Nikola Jovic, PF, Serbia

The Spurs have one of the best international scouting departments in the NBA and will not hesitate to draft the Serbian forward.

25. San Antonio Spurs: Andrew Nembhard, G, Gonzaga

As a backup point guard, Nembhard’s qualities and traits make him a player the Spurs would be very interested in adding to their roster. Following an impressive performance at the NBA Combine, Nembhard's stock is rising.

PhantomDashCam
06-10-2022, 01:47 PM
So Raf Barlowe sent out some information RE: latest rumours he’s hearing from draft circles.
I won’t post it all as the man is trying to make a living…

The San Antonio Spurs have four picks (Nos. 9, 20, 25 and 38) and are expected to be active on draft night and especially looking to move up. Several scouts and agents I have spoken with believe the Spurs have their sights set on a traditional center, with Jalen Duren and Mark Williams in the mix for the ninth pick. It is also believed that San Antonio is unlikely to bring in four rookies to training camp, so look for the Spurs to consolidate their picks via trade.

The Mark Williams hype appears very real. I wonder who they would be moving up for? I’d expect he must be referring to getting into the teens, perhaps to grab Jalen Williams?

Blake Wesley, a SpursTalk fave, is apparently killing it in workouts and has several scheduled with teams in the backend of the lottery…

Ariel
06-10-2022, 02:11 PM
The Mark Williams hype appears very real. I wonder who they would be moving up for? I’d expect he must be referring to getting into the teens, perhaps to grab Jalen Williams?

Blake Wesley, a SpursTalk fave, is apparently killing it in workouts and has several scheduled with teams in the backend of the lottery…
I like no. 20, I think someone WILL be available there (Eason, Jalen Williams, Wesley). It's 25 I have less faith on. Ever since the lottery we've known that it'd be extremely unlikely to land a franchise talent, but if we came away with three quality starters and a better rounded roster (say Sochan/Eason + Jalen Williams/Johnny Davis/Branham + Blake Wesley) that'd go a LONG WAY to improve our chances. Keeping 20 while landing a second pick in the teens, or landing 13 & 15 via trade (say turning 9 & 25 into 13 & 15) would put us in position to do just that.

R. DeMurre
06-10-2022, 03:46 PM
I'm really interested to see what Kupchak/MJ do with Charlotte's #13 & 15 picks. They've drafted well in the last few years, so I wonder what they'll emphasize this year. Everyone's saying a center, but MJ dominated the league with a center-by-committee team, and it seems in this era that versatile swing players are more valuable than ever.

TD 21
06-10-2022, 04:40 PM
So Raf Barlowe sent out some information RE: latest rumours he’s hearing from draft circles.

I suspect it's just people attempting to put two and two together. Team has four picks between 9-38, a need for a star, no young bigs and has drafted guard/wing heavy for a long time, so naturally that must mean they're trying to trade up and are targeting one of the two centers.

My sense is Williams would be in a Poeltl to Hornets package where they get 13 or 15 and utilize it on him.

I'm really interested to see what Kupchak/MJ do with Charlotte's #13 & 15 picks. They've drafted well in the last few years, so I wonder what they'll emphasize this year. Everyone's saying a center, but MJ dominated the league with a center-by-committee team, and it seems in this era that versatile swing players are more valuable than ever.

1. The Hornets don't have Jordan, 2. R. Williams, on one leg, was the most dominate player in game 3 of the Finals. Bigs have swept the past 2 MVP Finalists ballot, won the last 4 total and been the best player in the previous 2 playoffs.

I'd be shocked and it'd be malpractice on their part to not either utilize one of those picks on a C or trade for an established one.

T Park
06-11-2022, 04:09 AM
I’m
Pretty much all in on Johnny Davis being the pick. Just too much there that says all star player to pass up.

Rito3d30
06-11-2022, 05:06 AM
also my 1st option, really giving me some Brandon Roy vibe

John B
06-11-2022, 08:07 AM
^ I see Brandon Roy also. But more importantly, he’s an alpha and a hell of a competitor. He checks off 1. Go-to scorer and, 2. Point-of-attack defender. Spurs have 3 more picks to address defensive PF, a project big behind Poeltl and maybe a backup facilitator or maybe a stash who has a lot of potential.

Dejounte
06-11-2022, 08:21 AM
People throw away comps like nothing :lmao

not everyone is fucking Ginobili

Johnny Davis looks like he will have difficulty getting his shots up in the NBA against quicker and longer defenders. Booker compensates for that with his range. Davis doesn’t have that. Davis already gets blocked so much in college. No amount of “alpha” will change that.

CGD
06-11-2022, 08:51 AM

I like Mark, but at 9?

I’m still holding to my “pinch CHA” strategy: Draft Duren at 9, have them get anxious about not getting their C, trade back to 13+15 with Duren, grab best available at 13, grab Williams at 15 (no way Cleveland is taking a C at 14).

If we’ve lucky Deing or Sochan are still on the board at 13.

exstatic
06-11-2022, 09:22 AM
I like Mark, but at 9?

I’m still holding to my “pinch CHA” strategy: Draft Duren at 9, have them get anxious about not getting their C, trade back to 13+15 with Duren, grab best available at 13, grab Williams at 15 (no way Cleveland is taking a C at 14).

That supposes that CHA has a strong preference for Duren over Williams. It also supposes that they want to take time to develop a C while the clock is ticking on LaMelo and his extension/new contract.

John B
06-11-2022, 09:34 AM
I’d be okay with Duren at 9. But to trade him to 13 and 15 to get to Mark Williams?

rascal
06-11-2022, 10:20 AM
I’d be okay with Duren at 9. But to trade him to 13 and 15 to get to Mark Williams?

Why would Charlotte trade both 13 and 15 if they can get Williams?

CGD
06-11-2022, 10:21 AM
That supposes that CHA has a strong preference for Duren over Williams. It also supposes that they want to take time to develop a C while the clock is ticking on LaMelo and his extension/new contract.

Correct

Vince Carter's ankle
06-11-2022, 12:47 PM
I like Mark, but at 9?

Kenny Atkinson, unlike James Borrego, proved back in the Nets that he was ready to give young players a chance. I really don't fully understand why all the mock compilers are so sure that they want to take another center, even though they drafted Kai Jones and JT Thor just a year ago

R. DeMurre
06-11-2022, 12:59 PM
1. The Hornets don't have Jordan, 2. R. Williams, on one leg, was the most dominate player in game 3 of the Finals. Bigs have swept the past 2 MVP Finalists ballot, won the last 4 total and been the best player in the previous 2 playoffs.

I'd be shocked and it'd be malpractice on their part to not either utilize one of those picks on a C or trade for an established one.

Agreed, but RWlll is a rare and unique guy, and I think the danger here is projecting any young center to be the next RWlll as opposed to the next De'Andre Jordan or Mitchell Robinson... I actually really like Mark Williams, and think his best projection is somewhere between Gobert and RWlll, which of course would also be amazing. But the vast majority of center prospects from the last 5 drafts were not necessarily worthy of being top picks...

Ariel
06-11-2022, 04:09 PM
I like Mark, but at 9?

That's one scenario where I'm comfortable getting Mark Williams, along with him dropping to 20 (which is even more unlikely IMO). An even better scenario would be: do that, and trade Poeltl + 13 + 25 for Anunoby. Carlotte gets Duren, Toronto get Poeltl + 2 picks, the Spurs get their young AND proven forward plus a high character young center for the future, plus we still take a swing with no. 20. Pretty sweet outcome for all parties involved IMO.

TD 21
06-11-2022, 11:19 PM
Agreed, but RWlll is a rare and unique guy, and I think the danger here is projecting any young center to be the next RWlll as opposed to the next De'Andre Jordan or Mitchell Robinson... I actually really like Mark Williams, and think his best projection is somewhere between Gobert and RWlll, which of course would also be amazing. But the vast majority of center prospects from the last 5 drafts were not necessarily worthy of being top picks...

Sure, but he's not that rare. Gobert, Allen and Capela were all picked in the 20s too.

Also, at one time Jordan was considered one of the best C's in the league (the talent pool was weak at the time, but still) and Robinson was considered one of the most intriguing young ones.

Thomas82
06-12-2022, 12:32 AM
I like Mark, but at 9?

I like us drafting Duren at 9, but to keep him for ourselves.

CGD
06-12-2022, 08:53 AM
I like us drafting Duren at 9, but to keep him for ourselves.

This is also my preference to be clear. I’m only moving him if a Sochan is still at 13 AND we can get another player at 15.

CGD
06-12-2022, 08:56 AM
That's one scenario where I'm comfortable getting Mark Williams, along with him dropping to 20 (which is even more unlikely IMO). An even better scenario would be: do that, and trade Poeltl + 13 + 25 for Anunoby. Carlotte gets Duren, Toronto get Poeltl + 2 picks, the Spurs get their young AND proven forward plus a high character young center for the future, plus we still take a swing with no. 20. Pretty sweet outcome for all parties involved IMO.

That would be a nice outcome tbh.

Thomas82
06-12-2022, 10:09 PM
This is also my preference to be clear. I’m only moving him if a Sochan is still at 13 AND we can get another player at 15.

Understood.

Drom John
06-13-2022, 09:57 AM
Mike Randle, June 13, 2022

Pick: 9
Team: San Antonio Spurs
Player: Ochai Agbaji
Rationale: I have Agbaji going higher than most mocks because I believe in his all-around ability. His shooting prowess and NBA-ready body project him as the perfect 3-and-D player. Agbaji is somehow underrated despite averaging 18.8 PPG and 5.1 RPG while shooting 41 percent from beyond the arc. His ceiling isn’t as high as the players above him, but he finds a perfect landing spot in San Antonio with future Hall of Fame coach Greg Popovich.

Pick: 20
Player: Caleb Houston
Rationale: There is a big disconnect between what fans (particularly of Michigan) think of Houston and NBA scouts. He declined an invite to the NBA combine, likely believing he is already a first-round pick. He only shot 38.4 percent from the floor but 35.4 percent from 3P range. Houston has a smooth jump shot. and scouts are rumored to still be enamored by his five-star talent. The Spurs need three-point shooting, and Houston pairs nicely with Agbaji as San Antonio’s first two draft picks.

Pick: 25
Player: Christian Braun
Rationale: Braun has a National Championship pedigree with super 6-foot-7 size. He is a lights-out shooter at 38.6 percent from beyond the arc and brings a high motor. Braun was at his best in the biggest games and is more athletic than most realize. His high basketball IQ fits perfectly in San Antonio.

Degoat
06-13-2022, 10:02 AM
Boy that Fantasy pros mock would be so bad lol might be the worst mock I’ve seen for the spurs

mo7888
06-13-2022, 10:14 AM

Somebody hates us there..

Drom John
06-13-2022, 10:27 AM
Fan Nation Inside the Thunder | NBA Mock Draft: Thunder Expedite Rebuild
Nick Crain, 3 hours ago AKA June 13, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs: Jalen Duren (Center | Memphis)

Drom John
06-13-2022, 10:30 AM
Hoops Wire | 2022 NBA Mock Draft
Sam Amico, June 12, 2022

9. Spurs: Johnny Davis, SG, Wisconsin

20. Spurs: Nikola Jovic, SF, Mega Bemax

25. Spurs: Wendell Moore, SF, Duke

Drom John
06-13-2022, 10:34 AM
Fansided NBA | NBA Mock Draft 2022: All the trades that could shake up the first-round
Ian Levy, two days ago AKA June 11, 2022

Following the NBA Draft rumors, the Houston Rockets trade down from No. 3
Spurs Get
No. 3
Daishen Nix

Rockets Get
No. 9
No. 20
Josh Primo
Keldon Johnson

Here the Spurs give up a fairly rich package to move up and get the big man they covet at No. 3. They’re giving up a lot of pieces but chasing a star and get Nix, an extremely young, defensive-minded guard as someone to develop. The Rockets, missing out on the big man they really want, opt to trade back for some additional bites at the apple. They’re giving up the biggest single asset in the deal but should have chances to grab impact players with the two first-round picks they get in return. They also get Primo, an extremely young player with 3-and-D potential, and a young rotation player in Keldon Johnson would could be a useful piece as they try to pivot towards playoff contention.

Paolo Banchero
Big, San Antonio Spurs
San Antonio Spurs

The Spurs get their man at No. 3, perhaps the best offensive big man in the class and someone who they should be able to largely run their offense through as soon as next season. He may not be the cleanest fit next to Dejounte Murray but he’s too good a prospect to pass up and the Spurs have repeatedly demonstrated their ability to put players with unique skill sets in the best position to succeed.

Blake Wesley
Guard, San Antonio Spurs
San Antonio Spurs

The Spurs will add a significant offensive talent with the No. 3 pick. Here they get another budding scorer who can slash and create his own shot from the wing.

Drom John
06-13-2022, 10:38 AM
Barstool Sports | Steven Cheah's 2022 NBA Mock Draft 2.0
Steven Cheah, 6/11/22

9) San Antonio Spurs - SF AJ Griffin (Duke)

This is a potential pick as he is not even 19 years old and needs some seasoning, but flashed a lot of potential in limited time at Duke.

20) San Antonio Spurs (via Toronto Raptors) - PF Jalen Williams (Santa Clara)

Williams had a really good Combine and if the Spurs are able to add him and AJ Griffin in the same draft, they'd completely re-shape their frontcourt.

25) San Antonio Spurs (via Boston Celtics) - G Hugo Besson (New Zealand)

French Point Guards have worked out well for the Spurs. They dip back into that pool with their third 1st round pick.

Drom John
06-13-2022, 10:41 AM
The Sacramento Bee | NBA mock draft: Smith, Holmgren or Banchero at No. 1? Who will Kings take with No. 4 pick?
Jason Anderson, June 10, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs Jeremy Sochan, SF/PF, Baylor Height: 6-9 | Weight: 230 | Age: 19 | Freshman Sochan will need time to become a better shooter after averaging 9.2 points on 47/30/59 shooting splits at Baylor, but he could be a top-10 pick due to his size, strength and tenacity as a switchable multi-positional defender with a strong motor.

20. San Antonio Spurs (via Raptors) Nikola Jovic, SF, Mega Bemax Height: 6-11 | Weight: 223 | Age: 19 Jovic averaged 12.0 points, 4.8 rebounds and 3.6 assists in 28.4 minutes per game as an 18-year-old in the Adriatic Basketball Association last season. He isn’t the most electrifying athlete in the draft, but he possesses outstanding size, vision and feel for the game.

25. San Antonio Spurs (via Celtics) Wendell Moore, SF, Duke Height: 6-5 ½ | Weight: 217 | Age: 20 | Junior Moore is a long and versatile defender with a 7-foot wingspan and a lot to offer as a 3-and-D wing with playmaking skills. He averaged 13.4 points, 5.3 rebounds, 4.4 assists and 1.4 steals as a junior at Duke.

rjv
06-13-2022, 10:43 AM

worst mock i've scene- a true doomsday scenario.

Drom John
06-13-2022, 10:44 AM
Boundless & Ballin' | NBA Mock Draft 2.0 (with Combine Notes)
Jordan Pagkalinawan, June 10, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs: Johnny Davis (SG, Wisconsin)

A 6’5” combo guard, Davis broke out for Wisconsin, scoring 19.7 PPG, and turned into a first-round pick with the potential to go in the top ten.

20. San Antonio Spurs (via Raptors): Malaki Branham (SG, Ohio State)

25. San Antonio Spurs (via Celtics): Jalen Williams (G, Santa Clara)

Williams was a major draft board riser who helped himself with his strong showing at the Combine.

38. San Antonio Spurs (via Lakers): Dalen Terry (PG, Arizona)

Drom John
06-13-2022, 10:48 AM
Sports Gaming Rosters | 2022 NBA Mock Draft – 6/10/22

9 San Antonio Spurs Jalen Duren C Memphis Fr 6’11, 250 lbs

20 San Antonio Spurs (from TOR) Nikola Jovic PF Serbia N/A 6’11, 223 lbs

25 San Antonio Spurs (from BOS) Jake LaRavia SF Wake Forest Jr 6’8, 227 lbs

Drom John
06-13-2022, 10:52 AM
TWSN | 2022 First Round NBA Mock Draft 2.0
Will Lockin, June 13, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs- Bennedict Mathurin

Mathurin is too tantalizing of a prospect to pass up on in the top ten. His talent exceeds any fit concerns mainly because he’d be a fantastic fit on any team. A team like the Spurs can never go wrong with drafting a terrific 3&D prospect who will thrive in any system.

0. San Antonio Spurs- Malaki Branham

There’s bound to always be a couple fallers in every draft and here it will be Branham. Regardless, San Antonio is picking up a well rounded two-way guard/wing combo player who can shoot it well from three, score in the mid range, pass and defend twos/threes.

25. San Antonio Spurs- Ismael Kamagate

The third big man will be an international prospect from France. Kamagate is certainly one of the more underrated prospects and could thrive in the Spurs development system. Given their history of developing international players, this could be a fruitful pick in the future.

Drom John
06-13-2022, 10:57 AM
World News Era | 2022 NBA Mock Draft: Jabari Smith moves up to No. 2 to Thunder behind Chet Holmgren at No. 1 to Magic
Ashleigh Durden, 2 days ago AKA 11 June 2022

Too poorly formatted for clean copy/paste.

9) Duren isn’t really the type of floor-spacing big franchises prefer these days, but he’s such a physical specimen and great athlete that there’s probably a place for him in the top 10 of this draft. At worst, he should be a terrific rim-running and rim-protecting center who alters shots, dunks everything and is good enough guarding in space.

20) Hardy didn’t do much over the past year to help his draft stock — but he’s still a likely first-round talent capable of developing into a special scorer. Being drafted by a strong-cultured franchise like San Antonio would probably be the best thing for the trajectory of his career.

25) Braun is a wing with size who can guard his position, reliably make jumpers and finish in transition. He’s the type of prospect who could flourish with a San Antonio franchise that already has some other interesting young pieces.

mo7888
06-13-2022, 11:03 AM
Fansided NBA | NBA Mock Draft 2022: All the trades that could shake up the first-round
Ian Levy, two days ago AKA June 11, 2022

I don't hate it...

Drom John
06-13-2022, 02:30 PM
The Ringer | Mock Draft By Kevin O'Connor
June 13, 2022

San Antonio Spurs
Ousmane Dieng
Forward New Zealand
Venn Diagaram Icon Venn Diagaram Icon
Shades Of
Brandon Ingram, prime Chandler Parsons, Evan Turner
Ousmane Dieng
Height 6'10" Weight 200
Age 19.1 Year

3-point percentage
3P% 21.3 61 3PA
Rebounds
REB 2.9 8.3 REB%
Assists
AST 0.9 1.3 TOV

San Antonio Spurs

This is Dieng’s first appearance in the top 10 of my mock draft as he continues to rise up draft boards. Dieng is a smooth 6-foot-10 shot-creator who oozes upside. Though he is raw as a scorer, the Spurs could have him follow the same developmental plan that Keldon Johnson and Devin Vassell experienced in their system. With size, scoring, a will to pass, and potential defensive versatility, Dieng could become the steal of the draft.

One of the highest-upside prospects in the draft thanks to his blend of defense, size, and smooth shot creation, but he’s yet to prove he can score efficiently.

Ballhandlingbadge
Ballhandling
Playmakingbadge
Playmaking

PLUSES

His best skill is ball handling. Despite his size, he’s able to get where he wants with this dribble using low crossovers and hesitations. He has a quick first step, too. After stringing together a series of moves, he has the control to deliver passes off the dribble or glide into right-handed layups and floaters.

Similarly, he’s able to generate space for pull-up jumpers. The results have not been great so far, but he looks fluid getting into shots. It’s just a matter of getting them to fall. Extending his range will be key.

Shows good passing vision. He can spot cutters then throw jump passes over the defense; also, if he draws help on a drive, he can find the open man outside. He could be plugged into a playmaking role if his perimeter shooting develops, but even if it doesn’t his talents could be featured in a role as a screener, cutter, and slasher.

Projects as a highly versatile defender thanks to his length and quickness. On-ball, he displays the agility to slide with guards and wings. His movement looks effortless. Away from the ball he has the potential to become an effective help defender in the paint if his awareness improves.

MINUSES

It’s brick city for him as a shooter right now. He shot just 35.6 percent from the field and 23.5 percent from 3-point range in the NBL. Though he looks good shooting the ball, he has never been efficient.

Avoids contact at the rim. He ends up settling for difficult floaters or off-balance shots. In his first 12 games before injuring his wrist this season, he attempted only four free throws. Since he returned on March 5, he’s averaging 2.6 per game. That’s still a low number, but any type of progress is notable evidence that he is being more aggressive as a scorer.

Though he has good passing vision, his accuracy needs to improve. Too often the ball is off target, so a good look can be wasted because a defender has time to close the gap with the shooter.

Defensive awareness is an issue, especially off-ball. So many NBA defenses are switching screens these days that often the big man is pulled away from his protection duties near the paint. So that responsibility can fall on wings like Dieng. He has the size to be a nuisance, but too often he doesn’t rotate quickly enough to make a difference.

San Antonio Spurs (Via TOR)
Nikola Jovic
Forward Mega Basket
Shades Of
Danilo Gallinari, NOT Nikola Jokic
Nikola Jovic
Height 6'9.5" Weight 227
Age 19.0 Year

3-point percentage
3P% 34.0 97 3PA
Assists
AST 3.3 2.6 TOV
Rebounds
REB 4.3 9.5 REB%

San Antonio Spurs

Jovic is an ideal fit for the Spursian style that prioritizes ball movement and motion. At 6-foot-10, he can handle, shoot, and create for teammates. The Spurs have shaped their roster with players who fit the same profile for decades. Jovic would follow the same philosophy on a team already ripe with lengthy creators.

Late bloomer who grew up playing guard, and it shows in his game as a talented playmaker with size who’s still learning how to thrive near the rim.

Playmakingbadge
Playmaking

PLUSES

At his best with the ball in his hands in the open court or in the pick-and-roll. He’s capable of getting into his shot from any area of the floor. He doesn’t force it, though. Jovic has good shot selection and has the vision as a passer to make his teammates better.

Shot creation in the open floor is his best skill. He is able to change his pace and use hesitations while taking long strides toward the basket. He has a good handle and smooth footwork, which allows him to keep his dribble alive while deciding whether to score or facilitate.

With the ability to run the pick-and-roll and set solid screens at 6-foot-10, he could create major matchup advantages. Against a switch, he has the size advantage down low if he develops a post game. Against a blitz, he can pass as the ball handler or make plays for himself off the bounce. Against drop coverage, he has displayed the ability to shoot off the dribble if given space. Like many young players, he needs to improve his efficiency, but the building blocks are there.

Intelligent off-ball player on offense who has great instincts for cutting into the paint. Plus he has good hands.

Theoretically a versatile defender if he’s able to improve his sloppy fundamentals and get quicker laterally. Right now, he is at his best defending in help situations at the rim. Even if he’s not a shot blocker, his pure size still makes him more of a deterrent than smaller players in the same position.

MINUSES

He’s an inefficient offensive player right now, including from three-point range. He struggles finishing near the rim. He lacks bounce in the paint, and though he has size he doesn’t always know how to use it. He’s not particularly physical, and he has no post game to speak of.

Subpar defensive player who suffers through stretches of low intensity. He’s a bit sluggish, which limits him as a switch defender. And he lacks beef on his body, so battling against NBA centers is a no-go.

San Antonio Spurs (Via BOS)
Jaden Hardy
Wing Ignite
Shades Of
Bradley Beal, Cam Thomas, Dion Waiters
Jaden Hardy
Height 6'4" Weight 190
Age 19.9 Year

3-point percentage
3P% 26.9 78 3PA
Assists
AST 3.2 3.5 TOV
Steals
STL 1.3 0.3 BLK

San Antonio Spurs

After selecting two forwards earlier in this mock, here’s a scoring wing for the Spurs. Hardy was a top high school recruit whose draft stock plummeted during a poor season with the G League Ignite. But at this point of the first round, someone could take a shot. Considering San Antonio’s desire to find a star scorer, he seems worth the risk.

Pure bucket-getter who needs to improve his efficiency and playmaking.

Ballhandlingbadge
Ballhandling

PLUSES

Smooth ball handler with a deep bag of moves to create space and launch shots off the bounce. He can elevate without setting his feet and find his balance in midair. Since high school, isolation scoring has been the center of his game. Now, he needs to extend his range as a shooter to continue to excel. This season, he made 35.7 percent of pull-up 2-point jumpers compared to only 27.4 percent of 3s off the dribble, per Synergy.

Potential knockdown shooter who can drain 3s after running around screens. He’s the type of player who can run hard into the catch, turn, and shoot. He made 36.6 percent of his catch-and-shoot 3s in the G League, according to Synergy.

Made solid progress as a pick-and-roll ball handler in the G League. He operates with newfound patience navigating screens.

Though he’s not a stopper, he battles on defense, fighting through screens and even taking charges. With long arms, he could be a quality defender if his level of consistency improves.

MINUSES

Lacks vertical pop and a quick first step, leading to him struggling at the rim. He flails around at impact. As a counter, he needs to develop his floater and download a craftier layup package.

Decision-making. He was asked to be a scorer in high school but needs to prove he will take smart shots as a playmaker. He improved with the Ignite but still misses some open teammates in favor of forcing tough looks.

Frequent defensive liability who at times appeared apathetic and unmotivated, losing focus off the ball and not even getting into a stance one-on-one.

Is he just a volume scorer or can he become efficient? For the most part, iso scoring has always been his calling card. Teams wonder whether he’ll ever develop any other NBA skills.

Drom John
06-14-2022, 01:49 PM
Fan Nation Fast Break | 2022 NBA Mock Draft 3.0: Week Before Draft Edition
Brett Siegel, 4 hours ago AKA June 14, 2022

#9 San Antonio Spurs - F Ousmane Dieng (France)

The San Antonio Spurs are always a major question mark in the draft, as you never know what to expect from them. Last year, they shocked everyone by taking Joshua Primo, the youngest player in the draft with one of the biggest upsides on the offensive-end of the floor. Still looking to find their identity and form a long-term, youthful core, San Antonio could be obligated to go after another high-potential guy like Ousmane Dieng to pair with Dejounte Murray and Keldon Johnson on the wing.

The Spurs always get the most out of international prospects in the NBA Draft and given his length and potential to be an elite-level two-way player, Dieng is the perfect kind of prospect for San Antonio to add as a potential secondary star. Standing 6-foot-10 with a 7-0-plus wingspan, Ousmane Dieng has a lot of upside for growth at just 19-years-old and could very well end up being one of the best players from this draft class.

Out on the wing, Dieng uses his athleticism to his advantage to blow past smaller, less athletic defenders and has a good feel for when to pull up for a jump-shot when attacking the rim. In time, Dieng could develop into a high-impact two-way player and having one of the better developmental staffs, the Spurs seem like the perfect fit for him.

#20 San Antonio Spurs - F Nikola Jovic (Serbia)

Again, there is no telling what the Spurs will do on draft night, as this pick could very well be packaged together with other assets to acquire an already proven talent or for San Antonio to move up in the draft. However, San Antonio likes to take chances on international guys and going after a high-potential prospect like Nikola Jovic could be too good of an opportunity to pass up on.

Jovic could be a massive steal for this organization and some have called him the best international prospect in this year’s draft class. He is a versatile forward that can do a little bit of everything on the floor and in pick-and-roll sets offensively, Jovic flourishes due to the fact that he can be a primary ball-handler and he is very smart in terms of decision making with the ball in his hands.

Joining a very athletic team already in San Antonio, Nikola Jovic could play to his strengths and really become an all-around playmaker for this team, taking a lot of stress off of Dejounte Murray in the process.

#25 San Antonio Spurs - G MarJon Beauchamp (G League Ignite)

It is very unlikely that the San Antonio Spurs will keep all three of their first-round draft picks. Either this pick or the one before it at 20th overall will be on the move in a pre-draft or draft night trade as the Spurs look to continue building for the future while finding success now with their young core.

Already having two forwards in Ousmane Dieng and Nikola Jovic from this mock draft, targeting someone that can aid their backcourt and defense could make a lot of sense. He is a very unpolished prospect, but MarJon Beauchamp is definitely a gamble worth taking for the Spurs.

I truly believe that MarJon Beauchamp has a chance to rise up many team’s draft boards between now and the draft and he made a name for himself in the G League being a strong on-ball defender, something the San Antonio Spurs need. MarJon Beauchamp is NBA-ready and being just 20-years-old, he still has time to develop into a two-way talent at the shooting guard position or on the wing given his length.

#38 San Antonio Spurs - F Dominick Barlow (Overtime Elite, USA)

Drom John
06-14-2022, 02:01 PM
The Score | 2022 NBA Mock Draft: Smith goes No. 1, Daniels' stock keeps rising
Matthew Winick, Chicco Nacion, 7 hours ago AKA 14 June 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs - Jalen Duren, C, Memphis

With Jakob Poeltl entering a contract year, Duren could be the Spurs' starting center for years to come. He's the youngest player in this class, but he already boasts an NBA-ready body. Duren's explosive leaping ability stood out last season as he swatted more than two shots per game and seemingly caught any lob with his large catch radius. The teenager also flashed some passing skills and the ability to defend in space.

20. San Antonio Spurs (via TOR) - Jalen Williams, G, Santa Clara
Icon Sportswire / Icon Sportswire / Getty

After a quiet three seasons at mid-major Santa Clara, Williams took the draft world by storm at the combine. He has ideal size for a wing, a hyper-efficient offensive game from all levels, and an intriguing floor game that he developed last year. Williams should be able to stick immediately, and he could succeed as a rookie as he begins to acclimate to the league's athleticism.

25. San Antonio Spurs (via BOS) - Jake LaRavia, F, Wake Forest
Ryan M. Kelly / Getty Images Sport / Getty

For a Spurs organization that's long been the NBA's poster child for fundamentals, LaRavia would fit in perfectly. Though he put up admirable athletic numbers at the combine, explosiveness and isolation scoring will never be LaRavia's strengths. Instead, his shooting efficiency and decision-making that helped him turn around a struggling Wake Forest program will allow him to carve out a role in the league.

Drom John
06-14-2022, 02:14 PM
Fantasy Six Pack | 2022 NBA Mock Draft – NBA Finals
Keith Lott, June 13, 2022

The last number is change from previous mock. So, Daniels was 14th.

9 Spurs Dyson Daniels Ignite G 5

20 Spurs
via TOR Jaden Hardy Ignite W -

25 Spurs
via BOS Kendall Brown Baylor F 1

Mr. Body
06-14-2022, 02:27 PM
Don't know why mockers persist on giving the Spurs Jovic right after they pick Dieng. It's like they're not actually paying attention to what they're doing.

Of course Duren, J. Williams, LaRavia would be excellent.

John B
06-14-2022, 03:00 PM
The Score | 2022 NBA Mock Draft: Smith goes No. 1, Daniels' stock keeps rising
Matthew Winick, Chicco Nacion, 7 hours ago AKA 14 June 2022

I wouldn’t mind this version of the mock:

Duren 9
J Williams 20
LaRavia 25

It addresses somewhat all Spurs needs.

Go-to scorer: All 3
Size at PF: Check
Point-of-attack defender: Jalen Williams has potential with his reach and athleticism. But motor vould be suspect
On-man defense at C: Check

This is pretty straight-forward without needing to trade-up, etc. And all should be within reach.

Thomas82
06-14-2022, 04:11 PM
I wouldn’t mind this version of the mock:

Duren 9
J Williams 20
LaRavia 25

It addresses somewhat all Spurs needs.

Go-to scorer: All 3
Size at PF: Check
Point-of-attack defender: Jalen Williams has potential with his reach and athleticism. But motor vould be suspect
On-man defense at C: Check

This is pretty straight-forward without needing to trade-up, etc. And all should be within reach.

I obviously would love to have Duren at 9, wouldn't be upset with Williams at 20, but would rather have John Butler at 25.

Drom John
06-15-2022, 12:00 PM
Bleacher Report | 2022 NBA Mock Draft: 2-Round Predictions and Latest Buzz
Jonathan Wasserman, June 15, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs: Jalen Duren (Memphis, C, Freshman)

Who Bites on 1st True Center?

Duren worked out for the Portland Trail Blazers, who seem like a best-case outcome for the projected first true center taken. The Blazers need to improve defensively, and rim protection is Duren's selling point.

He doesn't seem like a realistic target for the New Orleans Pelicans at No. 8, assuming they want more spacing with Zion Williamson returning. The Spurs make sense for Duren. The Wizards played Kristaps Porzingis at center with Kyle Kuzma and Rui Hachimura in the rotation. And the New York Knicks' need for offense makes it difficult to imagine they will grab a 5 who can't shoot or create, even if they lose Mitchell Robinson.

The lowest he could fall figures to be to the Charlotte Hornets at No. 13. For the Oklahoma City Thunder at No. 12, the idea of pairing defensive aces in Holmgren and Duren has to be appealing.

20. San Antonio Spurs (via Raptors): Dalen Terry (Arizona, PG/SG, Sophomore)

Tracking Terry

Terry has gotten workouts for teams with top-10 picks, including the Indiana Pacers (who also own No. 31) and Portland Trail Blazers (who also own No. 36). He's becoming an intriguing sleeper to track given his clear predraft rise, unique game and statistical profile.

For a point guard, Terry's measurements (6'7¼" in shoes, 7'0¾" wingspan) popped at the combine. He's being viewed as a positionless player who can handle and play-make and defend forwards. It's still extremely uncommon to see a guard-wing type generate first-round attention after averaging just 11.5 points per 40 minutes. But his unconventional archetype and versatility seem to be playing to his favor.

25. San Antonio Spurs (via Celtics): Ismael Kamagate (Paris Basketball, C, 2001)

38. San Antonio Spurs (via Lakers): Jaylin Williams (Arkansas, PF, Sophomore)

John B
06-15-2022, 12:11 PM
I obviously would love to have Duren at 9, wouldn't be upset with Williams at 20, but would rather have John Butler at 25.

That spells big :lol:ihit

Drom John
06-15-2022, 02:40 PM
New York Post | NBA Mock Draft 2.0: Knicks trade up to finally solve point guard problem
Zach Braziller, June 15, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs
Jeremy Sochan, F, Baylor

The Big 12 Sixth Man of the Year thinks defense first — he believes he’s the best defensive player in the draft. That attitude will endear him to Gregg Popovich and the Spurs who are in desperate need of a difference-maker up front.

20. San Antonio Spurs
Walker Kessler, C, Auburn

His defense alone makes him appealing, as a shot-blocking demon who rejected 4.6 shots per game last year. If his offense comes around, and there is promise in his perimeter jump shot, the Spurs will have a steal.

25. San Antonio Spurs
Christian Braun, G, Kansas

Had he returned to college, Braun would’ve been one of the premier players in the country. Like Liddell, he really has no weakness — an able shooter, distributor, defender and high-level athlete. You’ll win games with him playing a meaningful role.

Drom John
06-15-2022, 02:52 PM
SBNation | NBA mock draft 2022: Newest projection for each pick’s best and most likely selection
Ricky O'Donnell, June 15, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs

Why Bennedict Mathurin is the most likely pick on the board: Mathurin has been pegged as a likely top-10 pick all season after a breakout sophomore year at Arizona. The 6’4 guard is one of the best three-point shooters in this draft class, which would make him a nice fit next to Dejounte Murray in the backcourt. Mathurin shouldn’t be pegged as an on-ball creator early in his career, but he made strides as a playmaker late in the season and should provide additional off-ball value as a cutter. The Spurs came in No. 29 in three-point rate last season, and could use a shooter of Mathurin’s caliber.

Why Keegan Murray is the best pick on the board: Murray is unlikely to still be on the board at this point in the first round, but I’m slightly more skeptical about his upside than NBA teams seem to be. This feels like a more appropriate place in the draft for someone with his skill set. Murray is also an excellent outside shooter, and would give San Antonio some additional size up front. The Spurs would be thrilled if he was still available.

20. San Antonio Spurs

Why Jalen Williams is the most likely pick on the board: Williams has been sky-rocketing up draft boards after the season because of his 7’2 wingspan, smooth three-point stroke, and pick-and-roll playmaking chops. The Spurs could use a shooter after finishing No. 29 in the league in three-point rate last season, and Williams brings that and more to the wing. The question is if he’s quick enough to hang defensively and leverage his playmaking in the league, but he’s a worthy bet at No. 20.

Related
Patrick Baldwin Jr. fell from a top NBA Draft prospect. Now he’s trying to build himself back up

Why Patrick Baldwin Jr. is the best pick on the board: Baldwin was considered a top-five overall recruit entering college because of his size (6’10) and knockdown shooting ability. He chose to play for his father at Milwaukee instead of taking an offer from Duke, and had a disastrous freshman year thanks to a lingering ankle injury and poor team context around him. Baldwin still has the size and shooting projection to be a natural fit in the league if he can stay healthy. He’s certainly a risky pick given his lack of durability and underwhelming production in a mid-major conference, but a team like San Antonio with four top-38 picks is in a perfect spot to roll the dice on him.

25. San Antonio Spurs

Why MarJon Beauchamp is the most likely pick on the board: Beauchamp impressed on the G League Ignite this season to play himself into the first round with his physicality and motor. He has a long and strong frame for a wing at 6’6 with a 7-foot wingspan, and made a big impact defensively by leveraging his strength and athleticism. His jump shot will need to develop, but the defensive intensity will fit right in with San Antonio’s culture.

Why MarJon Beauchamp is the best pick on the board: Most of the picks we’ve given the Spurs in this draft have been offense-first prospects. Beauchamp represents a chance at a defensive stopper.

Drom John
06-15-2022, 02:56 PM
CBS | 2022 NBA Mock Draft: Jabari Smith goes No. 1 to Magic ahead of Chet Holmgren; Bennedict Mathurin into top five
Colin Ward-Henninger, June 14, 2022

Round 1 - Pick 9

TyTy Washington Jr. PG
Kentucky • Fr • 6'3" / 197 lbs
Projected Team
San Antonio
PROSPECT RNK
6th
POSITION RNK
1st
PPG
RPG
APG
3P%
35%
The Spurs clearly need a secondary ball-handler next to Dejounte Murray, and Washington is an excellent choice with his ability to create offense for both himself and for others. He's also more than capable as an off-ball 3-point shooter, allowing him to both play alongside Murray and serve as the backup point guard.

Round 1 - Pick 20

Patrick Baldwin Jr. PF
Wisconsin-Milwaukee • Fr • 6'9" / 220 lbs
Projected Team
San Antonio
PROSPECT RNK
37th
POSITION RNK
9th
PPG
RPG
APG
3P%
26.6%
Baldwin was one of the top recruits in the country coming out of high school, but his draft stock plummeted after a horrific season at Milwaukee. The Spurs are just the type of organization to read through the noise and see a 6-9 bucket-getter with a 7-2 wingspan who has advanced shooting and scoring potential to go along with a "best player on the floor" type of confidence. Baldwin could end up being a huge steal if he falls this far, and San Antonio will be glad to get him in its program.

Round 1 - Pick 25

Jake LaRavia PF
Wake Forest • Jr • 6'8" / 235 lbs
Projected Team
San Antonio
PROSPECT RNK
27th
POSITION RNK
7th
PPG
RPG
APG
3P%
38.4%
LaRavia just seems to do everything well -- a trait that Gregg Popovich would likely find useful. The 6-8 forward has great instincts on both ends of the floor, and projects as a knock-down 3-point shooter, particularly from the corners. He also has some point-forward potential given his passing ability.

Drom John
06-15-2022, 03:00 PM
Fansided The Sixer Sense | 2022 NBA Mock Draft: Who each team should pick
Christopher Kline, 7 hours ago AKA June 15, 2022

2022 NBA Mock Draft — 9. Johnny Davis, Spurs

The Spurs could use another shot-maker in the backcourt. Dejounte Murray made the All-Star leap last season, but he’s still limited as an individual scorer. He’s much better equipped to spread the sugar and put teammates in a position for success. Johnny Davis will need to really hammer out the 3-point shot, but he’s a talented individual scorer who could one day take over the reigns of No. 1 option in San Antonio. He should work well off of Murray, though it would take some time to adjust to a lower usage rate.

2022 NBA Mock Draft — 20. Christian Koloko, Spurs

A late bloomer who didn’t play basketball full-time until he was 17, Christian Koloko has improved drastically over a very short span of time. He’s one of the most electric athletes in the draft and an absolute monster blocking shots at the rim. San Antonio has an excellent starting center in Jakob Poeltl, but with a rebuild coming fast down the pipe there’s no guarantee Poeltl is in the long-term plans. Koloko is the kind of raw talent the Spurs’ development team would cherish.

2022 NBA Mock Draft — 25. Jaden Hardy, Spurs

The Spurs are in talent acquisition mode. No player development staff has a stronger track record. Jaden Hardy’s G-League season was a minor disaster, but he’s a big and talented scoring guard who could blossom into something much more. San Antonio should be in no particular hurry to win games, so taking the long view is the right move.

Drom John
06-15-2022, 03:06 PM
CBS | 2022 NBA Mock Draft: Two-round projection has all 58 picks, surprise prospect jumping into top five
Kyle Boone, 50 minutes ago AKA June 15, 2022

Round 1 - Pick 9

Bennedict Mathurin SG
Arizona • Soph • 6'6" / 210 lbs
Projected Team
San Antonio
PROSPECT RNK
12th
POSITION RNK
4th
PPG
RPG
APG
3P%
36.9%
Mathurin's somewhat unfairly been boxed into a 3-and-D type prospect, but he's so much more than that. Yes, he's a great knockdown shooter, and his length suggests in time he'll be a plus-defender. But he can also be additive creating off the bounce and is really good in transition, too. The Spurs could shape him into one of the draft's big steals at No. 9.

Round 1 - Pick 20

Patrick Baldwin Jr. PF
Wisconsin-Milwaukee • Fr • 6'9" / 220 lbs
Projected Team
San Antonio
PROSPECT RNK
20th
POSITION RNK
7th
PPG
RPG
APG
3P%
26.6%
Two consecutive seasons ending with Baldwin injured -- first in high school then as a freshman in college -- have given rise to potential durability concerns for him. But as a former top recruit in his class, Baldwin likely still goes in Round 1 because of his 6-9 frame and shooting upside. He's a risk, but one San Antonio may be more averse to taking that on than most considering it has three first-round picks this year.

Round 1 - Pick 25

Nikola Jovic SF
Serbia • 6'10" / 210 lbs
Projected Team
San Antonio
PROSPECT RNK
21st
POSITION RNK
5th
PPG
RPG
APG
This would purely be a value play for San Antonio to pluck Jovic, one of the most intriguing combination forwards in the draft, at No. 25. At 6-10 he has guard skills -- he ran point last season as a primary initiator for Mega Mozzart -- and a center's frame. He's very raw developmentally but having just turned 19 years old, there's a chance he can mature in time to be a valuable initiator given his size.

Round 2 - Pick 8 (38th overall)

MarJon Beauchamp SF
G League Ignite • 6'6" / 199 lbs
Projected Team
San Antonio
PROSPECT RNK
45th
POSITION RNK
13th
PPG
RPG
3P%
24.2%
As one of the older prospects in this class, Beauchamp may be someone teams put on the backburner as they chase youth and developmental talents. However, his length and athleticism could make him a nice fit in the modern NBA as a wing if his outside shot falls with more regularity.

Drom John
06-15-2022, 03:09 PM
Watch Stadium | Jeff Goodman’s 2022 NBA Mock Draft 3.0
June 15, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs – Johnny Davis, 6-6, 195, SG, Soph., Wisconsin

Davis had a sensational sophomore campaign at Wisconsin, which came out of nowhere. He’s a skilled wing who can really score in the mid-range. He didn’t shoot it well last season from deep, but that aspect of his game will improve. Davis is someone who can come right in and help immediately due to his high IQ and versatility.

2021-22 Stats: 19.7 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 2.1 apg, 31% 3-pointers (37-121)

20. San Antonio Spurs (from Toronto) – Tari Eason, 6-8, 215, F, Soph., LSU

The Spurs could use a big-time defender, and that’s what Eason will bring right away. He’s an athletic forward who can guard multiple positions. Think of a Pascal Siakam-type of player. Long, athletic, plays hard and can really defend.

2021-22 Stats: 16.9 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 36% 3-pointers (28-78)

25. San Antonio Spurs (from Boston) – Patrick Baldwin Jr., 6-10, 230, PF, Fr., Milwaukee

Baldwin chose to play for his father at Milwaukee instead of Duke coming out of high school, and it was a tough season to say the least. Baldwin is regarded as a big-time shooter, but he made only 27 percent of his threes. He only played 11 games due to injury, but he’s got size and can make shots.

2021-22 Stats: 12.1 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 27% 3-pointers (17-64)

Mr. Body
06-15-2022, 03:09 PM
Thanks, Drom.

Drom John
06-15-2022, 03:12 PM
Bet Sided | 2022 NBA Mock Draft Based On Odds (Predicting the Lottery for Every Team)
Peter Dewey, June 15, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs: Johnny Davis (+50000)

Johnny Davis can do it all, and the sophomore feels like a perfect fit in San Antonio. The Spurs could form a really tough backcourt with bigger guards like Davis and Dejounte Murray. After trading Derrick White at the deadline, I like this fit for San Antonio.

CGD
06-15-2022, 04:04 PM
Bleacher Report | 2022 NBA Mock Draft: 2-Round Predictions and Latest Buzz
Jonathan Wasserman, June 15, 2022

I like this one

Thomas82
06-15-2022, 04:10 PM
That spells big :lol:ihit

We definitely could use more size.

Thomas82
06-15-2022, 04:12 PM
CBS | 2022 NBA Mock Draft: Jabari Smith goes No. 1 to Magic ahead of Chet Holmgren; Bennedict Mathurin into top five
Colin Ward-Henninger, June 14, 2022

This would be terrible.

Dex
06-15-2022, 04:14 PM
Interesting that so many of these reports are projecting guards for the Spurs at #9? Do they know something we don't know?

Like seriously, can we just draft a freaking forward or center that isn't a 2nd round shot in the dark?

tonight...you
06-15-2022, 04:24 PM
That CBS one with TyTy at 9 is puke city.

The Truth #6
06-15-2022, 06:29 PM
9. Johnny Davis
20 + 25 = Trade up to get Tari Eason
38. Alondes Williams

All junk yard dogs. That’s my dream right there.

exstatic
06-15-2022, 06:39 PM
That CBS one with TyTy at 9 is puke city.

At last he’s not 6’4”.

tonight...you
06-15-2022, 06:40 PM
9. Johnny Davis
38. Alondes Williams

I like it.

tonight...you
06-15-2022, 06:46 PM
At last he’s not 6’4”.
Ha ha ha! Jerk.

John B
06-15-2022, 06:59 PM
9. Johnny Davis
38. Alondes Williams

Sending positive vibes :toast

Drom John
06-16-2022, 10:28 AM
Yahoo! | 2022 NBA Mock Draft, Vol. 3
Raphielle Johnson, June 16, 2022

9. San Antonio: C Jalen Duren (Memphis)

At first glance, the Spurs aren't lacking depth at the center position. Jakob Poeltl is in the starting role, while Zach Collins and Jock Landale have partially guaranteed deals for next season. But Poeltl is heading into the final season of his deal, so adding a young big man could be something that the Spurs consider since they have three first-round picks. Enter Duren, an athletic center who does the majority of his damage on both ends of the floor in the paint. He runs the floor well and is also a good rim protector, but the inconsistent effort has been an issue at times. San Antonio would be a good spot for him to land, between the presence of Gregg Popovich and the way in which the team makes use of its G League affiliate.

20. San Antonio (from Toronto): SG/SF Jalen Williams (Santa Clara)

Williams improved throughout his three seasons at Santa Clara, developing into a versatile scoring option who can also be used at multiple positions defensively. Boasting a 7-foot-2 wingspan, the combination of length and athleticism makes Williams a player who's likely to be a top-20 pick next week. San Antonio doesn't lack for wings on its roster, but it would be incredibly difficult to pass on Williams if he's still on the board.

25. San Antonio (from Boston): PG/SG Dalen Terry (Arizona)

With Terry spending much of his two seasons at Arizona playing off the ball, it does not feel like we got to see all that he can do offensively. He had the ball in his hands a lot as a high school standout, so the potential is certainly there for him to be that kind of player as a pro. The combination of length and athleticism served Terry well defensively, making it possible for him to defend all three perimeter positions. As noted above, San Antonio has a host of young players capable of playing multiple positions on the perimeter, but Terry may be too good to pass up at this point.

38. San Antonio (from Los Angeles Lakers via Chicago and Washington): C Christian Koloko (Arizona)

Drom John
06-16-2022, 10:47 AM
Fantasy Pros | 2022 NBA Mock Draft & Big Board: First Round Picks, Predictions & Player Notes
Michael Waterloo, June 16, 2022

9) San Antonio Spurs – Benedict Mathurin (SG – Arizona): The Spurs could go a number of ways here. They could go with a big like Jalen Duran (who I had in my first mock) or look to grab a guard like TyTy Washington, but that feels like a reach. Instead, we’ll go with Mathurin landing here and have him step in right away beside Dejounte Murray and Keldon Johnson.
Version 1: Jalen Duran (C – Memphis)

20) San Antonio Spurs – TyTy Washington (PG – Kentucky): I’m not a Washington fan, but I think I was too hard on him by having him fall to the very end of Round 1 in my first mock. The Spurs make sense as a landing spot here, with him being able to be the No. 2 beside and behind Murray instead of running the show right away.
Version 1: Jaden Hardy

25) San Antonio Spurs – Jaden Hardy: A nice value play for a player whose stock has fallen. Leaving the draft with Hardy, Washington, and Mathurin is the best-case outcome for San Antonio. Hardy also gives the Spurs some Lonnie Walker
insurance.
Version 1: E.J. Liddell

Drom John
06-16-2022, 11:01 AM
Hearsay about ESPN and Jonathan Givony behind the paywall.

On3 | ESPN releases updated NBA mock draft following significant trade
Stephen Samra, 3 hours ago, AKA 16 June 2022

9) San Antonio Spurs — Jalen Duren, C, Memphis

20) San Antonio Spurs (via TOR) — Blake Wesley, G, Notre Dame

25) San Antonio Spurs (via BOS) — EJ Liddell, F, Ohio State

38) San Antonio Spurs (via LAL) — Khalifa Diop, C, Senegal

Drom John
06-16-2022, 11:07 AM
The Sacramento Bee | NBA mock draft: New first-round projections, trade talk and Kings’ options with No. 4 pick
Jason Anderson, June 16, 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs Johnny Davis, SG, Wisconsin Height: 6-5 ¾ | Weight: 196 | Age: 20 | Sophomore Davis is a fiery competitor, a proven scorer and a solid defender who could vault into the top 10 after averaging 19.7 points, 8.2 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.2 steals as a sophomore with the Badgers. His 3-point shooting needs to improve, but he is one of the most NBA-ready guards in the draft.

20. San Antonio Spurs (via Raptors) Walker Kessler, C, Auburn Height: 7-1 | Weight: 256 | Age: 20 | Sophomore Kessler posted averages of 11.4 points, 8.1 rebounds, 4.6 blocks and 1.1 steals in 25.6 minutes per game as a sophomore at Auburn. With tremendous size and good athleticism, he could be a nice find if he improves his shooting.

25. San Antonio Spurs (via Celtics) Patrick Baldwin Jr., SF/PF, Milwaukee Height: 6-10 ¼ | Weight: 231 | Age: 19 | Freshman Baldwin had a tough year at Milwaukee, averaging 12.1 points and 5.8 rebounds while appearing in only 11 games due to an ankle injury, but when healthy he is a knockdown shooter with outstanding size for his position.

BackHome
06-16-2022, 11:23 AM
The last one I hate I think Baldwin is big time Beta and soft as a marshmallow - But I like the two mock before that one.

dbestpro
06-16-2022, 11:38 AM
My thought is the Spurs are going to go with Malakai Branham with the 9th pick. Pop knows they need shooters and he may be the best. He fits Pops small ball mentality and is that pick no one saw coming, a Spurs trademark.

CGD
06-16-2022, 12:14 PM
This one, up and down, seemed very realistic:
https://watchstadium.com/jeff-goodmans-2022-nba-mock-draft-3-0-06-15-2022/

They have Spurs taking, Davis, Eason, and Baldwin.

Russ
06-16-2022, 12:36 PM
My thought is the Spurs are going to go with Malakai Branham with the 9th pick. Pop knows they need shooters and he may be the best. He fits Pops small ball mentality and is that pick no one saw coming, a Spurs trademark.

I was kinda thinking the same thing. Could do a lot worse. :)

exstatic
06-16-2022, 12:50 PM

Branham
Plays
No
Defense.

Like Forbes/Walker level.

Degoat
06-16-2022, 03:23 PM

I could see that as well, a guy that I haven’t heard a peep about either that seems kinda like a spurs pick would be Ochai Agbaji

Mr. Body
06-16-2022, 03:27 PM
I could see that as well, a guy that I haven’t heard a peep about either that seems kinda like a spurs pick would be Ochai Agbaji

I would totally be on board for Agbaji at 20 (or def 25). I agree about Branham. Maybe the team sees opportunity to get him to play D, but he wasn't good there as a freshman.

Drom John
06-17-2022, 12:05 PM
The Ringer | Mock Draft By Kevin O'Connor
updated 6.17

I did not copy comments on Dieng and Jovic, see message #202 above.

San Antonio Spurs
Ousmane Dieng
Forward New Zealand

San Antonio Spurs (Via TOR)
Nikola Jovic
Forward Mega Basket

San Antonio Spurs (Via BOS)
Walker Kessler
Center Auburn
Shades Of
Jarrett Allen, Jakob Poeltl
Walker Kessler
Height 7'0.25" Weight 256
Age 20.9 Year Sophomore

3-point percentage
3P% 21.3 47 3PA
Rebounds
REB 8.2 16.9 REB%
Blocks
BLK 4.5 1.1 STL

San Antonio Spurs

Going with a center here might be overkill for the Spurs after selecting two forwards, but Kessler is a different type of player built in the mold of Jakob Poeltl. The Spurs aren’t a playoff team yet, but Poeltl is such a poor free throw shooter he might not be able to stay on the floor in late-game situations. Same with Kessler, except at lower levels he displayed more 3-point shooting upside than he showed in college. Maybe the Spurs can get something out of him, and if Kessler pans out, Poeltl would suddenly become more of a tradable piece.

Massive interior force with elite shot-blocking and finishing skills. Developing his shot would be the cherry on top.

Shot Blockingbadge
Shot Blocking
Off-Ball Defensebadge
Off-Ball Defense
Interior Scoringbadge
Interior Scoring
Hustlebadge
Hustle

PLUSES

At 245 pounds with a 7-foot-5 wingspan, he blocks 4.5 shots per game, swatting everything in sight around the rim while avoiding fouls. He’s so big and yet so nimble, fluidly changing directions to act as a deterrent. Opponents don’t even bother testing him. Factor in his discipline and IQ, and he has a chance to become one of the game’s best defenders.

He’s primarily a drop defender in the pick-and-roll but has shown the agility to get stops on the perimeter. He’s comfortable sliding his feet away from the basket and has elite body control, slamming the breaks then pivoting directions to stay with attackers.

Competitive rebounder who boxes out on defense. When he gobbles up defensive boards he does a nice job of locating his outlet with a pass.

Good finisher inside with soft hands and the leaping ability to clean up around the rim. He’s so smooth off the catch, there’s never any wasted motion to allow a defense the time to strip the ball.

Sets solid screens and has a good feel for a big’s responsibilities, utilizing dribble handoffs and passing to cutters inside.

A modern big with chops as a ball handler and playmaker thanks to his training. Bigs are now raised doing guard drills. By no means will he run an offense, but he can make plays when needed.

Comes from a basketball family—his brother played in college, his dad played overseas, and his uncle played four years in the NBA.

MINUSES

Has shot just 21.6 percent from 3 and 57.6 percent from the line in college. He was a better shooter in high school, though never a knockdown threat.

He’s not an incredibly explosive player and has struggled in some matchups against physical and lengthy defenders.

Lacks an advanced set of post moves.

Mr. Body
06-17-2022, 01:05 PM
I continue to be unimpressed with Kevin O'Connor. I don't know if he's lazy, but he rarely seem to care what he's talking about in his mock drafts lately.

Drom John
06-17-2022, 02:14 PM
CBS | 2022 NBA Mock Draft: Keegan Murray, Jaden Ivey move up, but AJ Griffin slips out of top five
David Cobb, 55 min ago AKA 17 June 2022

Round 1 - Pick 9
team logo
team logo
headshot-image
Bennedict Mathurin SG
Projected Team
San Antonio
PROSPECT RNK
8th
POSITION RNK
3rd
PPG
RPG
APG
3P%
36.9%
Mathurin outperformed his modest recruiting accolades as a freshman and evolved into one of the top players in the Pac-12 as a sophomore. His perimeter jumper and ability to create shots standout, and he's got all the tools to become a quality defender.

Round 1 - Pick 20
team logo
team logo
headshot-image
E.J. Liddell PF
Ohio State • Jr • 6'7" / 243 lbs
Projected Team
San Antonio
PROSPECT RNK
18th
POSITION RNK
5th
PPG
RPG
APG
3P%
37.4%
Liddell is like a slightly more athletic version of third-year Celtics forward Grant Williams, who has played a nice role for Boston in the NBA Playoffs after he was taken with the No. 22 pick in 2019. He's got a stocky build reminiscent of a traditional post player but can shoot 3-pointers and is agile enough to hold his own as a versatile weapon in the NBA.

Round 1 - Pick 25
team logo
team logo
headshot-image
Jake LaRavia PF
Projected Team
San Antonio
PROSPECT RNK
28th
POSITION RNK
8th
PPG
RPG
APG
3P%
38.4%
LaRavia is a versatile playmaker and one of college basketball's top surprises at Wake Forest as a junior last season after transferring in from Indiana State. He does a little bit of everything and should be able to guard multiple positions at the next level.

Drom John
06-17-2022, 02:17 PM
CBS | 2022 NBA Mock Draft: Keegan Murray, Jaden Ivey move up, but AJ Griffin slips out of top five
David Cobb, 55 min ago AKA 17 June 2022

Round 1 - Pick 9
Bennedict Mathurin SG
Projected Team
San Antonio
PROSPECT RNK
8th
POSITION RNK
3rd
PPG
RPG
APG
3P%
36.9%
Mathurin outperformed his modest recruiting accolades as a freshman and evolved into one of the top players in the Pac-12 as a sophomore. His perimeter jumper and ability to create shots standout, and he's got all the tools to become a quality defender.

Round 1 - Pick 20
team logo
team logo
headshot-image
E.J. Liddell PF
Ohio State • Jr • 6'7" / 243 lbs
Projected Team
San Antonio
PROSPECT RNK
18th
POSITION RNK
5th
PPG
RPG
APG
3P%
37.4%
Liddell is like a slightly more athletic version of third-year Celtics forward Grant Williams, who has played a nice role for Boston in the NBA Playoffs after he was taken with the No. 22 pick in 2019. He's got a stocky build reminiscent of a traditional post player but can shoot 3-pointers and is agile enough to hold his own as a versatile weapon in the NBA.

Round 1 - Pick 25
team logo
team logo
headshot-image
Jake LaRavia PF
Projected Team
San Antonio
PROSPECT RNK
28th
POSITION RNK
8th
PPG
RPG
APG
3P%
38.4%
LaRavia is a versatile playmaker and one of college basketball's top surprises at Wake Forest as a junior last season after transferring in from Indiana State. He does a little bit of everything and should be able to guard multiple positions at the next level.

Drom John
06-17-2022, 02:19 PM
Yahoo! | 2022 NBA Mock Draft: Sixers, Nuggets trade shakes up first round
Adam Hermann, June 17, 2022

9. Spurs: SG Johnny Davis, Wisconsin

How many draft picks spent on young guards is too many? The Spurs are going to find out! They need to keep swinging until they find Dejounte Murray a proper backcourt pairing. The Big Ten Player of the Year is hard to pass up, even with Joshua Primo and Devin Vassell (and Lonnie Walker, and Romeo Langford...) waiting in the wings.

20. Spurs: F Nikola Jovic, Serbia

(No, not that guy.) The Spurs taking a foreign player with a pass-first mentality is basically parody at this point, but it's also just honestly very Spurs-y. Jovic is young and still growing as a player, but San Antonio isn't competing right now so that's fine. Could wind up being a real steal.

25. Spurs: SG Christian Braun, Kansas

Braun feels like a fairly Spurs-y pick: he's a strong three-point shooter, he prides himself on defense, and he likes to do the little things. You probably remember him from Kansas' title run as the scrappy dude who can shoot. He needs to get better at creating, but there's no rush.

Drom John
06-17-2022, 02:21 PM
Kyle Boone's new mock today does not change his four Spurs.

Drom John
06-17-2022, 02:24 PM
The Sporting News | NBA Mock Draft 2022: Jabari Smith Jr., Chet Holmgren go 1-2 to Magic, Thunder in complete 2-round edition
Kyle Irving, 2 hours ago AKA 17 June 2022

9. San Antonio Spurs: Jalen Duren, Memphis

Position: C

Height and weight: 6-foot-11, 250 lbs.

Duren is the most physical player in this draft class with an NBA-ready body and plus-athleticism. Even though the Spurs already have a quality rim protector in Jakob Poeltl, Duren's speed and fluidity make him better suited for San Antonio's core group of the future in Dejounte Murray and Keldon Johnson. His defense will be an instant asset for the Spurs, while his offensive game needs some polishing. But who better to bring the most out of Duren than the organization that groomed Hall of Fame bigs like David Robinson and Tim Duncan?

20. San Antonio Spurs (via TOR): Jalen Williams, Santa Clara

Position: F

Height and weight: 6-foot-6, 209 lbs.

Williams was one of the biggest winners of the NBA Draft Combine after measuring extremely well and flourishing during the scrimmages. At 6-foot-6 with a 7-foot-2 wingspan (!), Williams can defend multiple positions while adding some size and length as a playmaking scorer. His offensive versatility to play any position from point guard to power forward makes him an intriguing fit for the Spurs, giving them a unique player to add to a young core of Murray, Johnson and in this scenario, Duren.

25. San Antonio Spurs (via BOS): Nikola Jovic, Mega Basket (ABA), Serbia

Position: F

Height and weight: 6-foot-10, 210 lbs.

The Spurs have three first-round picks and I could see them taking a flier on Jovic if he's still available here. The 18-year-old is a point forward with an incredible feel for the game. He's at his best playing on the perimeter with crafty passing skills, but also has great touch around the basket on the attack. He's already shown he can perform against other professionals after this past season with Mega Basket and he feels like the type of international prospect the Spurs could develop into something special.

38. Spurs (via LAL): Peyton Watson, F, UCLA

Drom John
06-17-2022, 02:28 PM
Fansided Hoops Habit | 2022 NBA Mock Draft: All first-round predictions, risers, fallers
Jake Weinbach, 8 hours ago AKA 17 June 2022

Ousmane Dieng
Small Forward, San Antonio Spurs
San Antonio Spurs
2022 NBA Mock Draft: 9. Ousmane Dieng, San Antonio Spurs

Pre-Draft Team: New Zealand Breakers

Height: 6’10”

Ousmane Dieng is a polarizing prospect as a “point forward” with tremendous upside. The 19-year-old uses his length and shiftiness to glide by defenders and break down the defense while possessing the tools to become an All-Star talent with proper development. Dieng is raw but can do it all, and the San Antonio Spurs have a history of developing international prospects.

Nikola Jovic
Small Forward, San Antonio Spurs
San Antonio Spurs
2022 NBA Mock Draft: 20. Nikola Jovic, San Antonio Spurs

Pre-Draft Team: KK Mega Mozzart

Height: 6’10”

Following the trend with international prospects for the San Antonio Spurs, drafting Nikola Jovic would supply them with a flashy, supersized playmaker with a high ceiling. Similar to Ousmane Dieng, Jovic is another “point forward” that can produce in many different ways. He’s an intriguing prospect that’s worth taking a flyer on.

Walker Kessler
Center, San Antonio Spurs
San Antonio Spurs
2022 NBA Mock Draft: 25. Walker Kessler, San Antonio Spurs

School: Auburn

Height: 7’0″

As a seven-foot shot-blocking machine, Auburn center Walker Kessler is an intelligent rim protector that will benefit any team in need of a defensive-minded center. Kessler is limited offensively, outside of being a lob threat, and must develop more physically. However, the Defensive Player of the Year in college basketball that averaged 4.5 blocks per game last season should have a clear role in the NBA. The San Antonio Spurs should be interested in a rim protector with starting center Jakob Poeltl on an expiring contract.

Drom John
06-17-2022, 02:30 PM
Draft Kings Nations | 2022 NBA mock draft 3.0: Predicting the first round a week before the draft
Chinmay Vaidya, June 17, 2022

No. 9 - San Antonio Spurs - Jalen Duren, C, Memphis

No. 20 - San Antonio Spurs (via Raptors) - Max Christie, G, Michigan State

No. 25 - San Antonio Spurs (via Celtics) - E.J. Liddell, F, Ohio State

Mr. Body
06-17-2022, 02:31 PM
Dieng Jovic Kessler is a bit revolting. The rest seem okay.

mo7888
06-17-2022, 02:43 PM
Those mocks with Duren and Mathurin at 9 look good to me..