PDA

View Full Version : Should police be required to save this man who drowned?

MultiTroll
06-05-2022, 02:33 PM
‘I’m not jumping in after you:’ Police release transcript of Tempe Town Lake drowning (azfamily.com) (https://www.azfamily.com/2022/06/04/im-not-jumping-after-you-police-release-transcript-tempe-town-lake-drowning/)

Officers watch as man drowns in Tempe AZ lake | The Sacramento Bee (sacbee.com) (https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article262175437.html)

MultiTroll
06-05-2022, 02:38 PM
Headlines sensationalize police actions or inactions.

Video shows man was not threatened in any way by police. Rather chose to swim out too far and drowned,

Sad story.

What should cops have been required to do or not do?

SnakeBoy
06-05-2022, 03:02 PM
They should've swam out to him and then shot him because they feared for their safety.

Reck
06-05-2022, 03:06 PM
What should cops have been required to do or not do?

How about not watch someone kill themselves?

As long as you're not actively putting someone's life (The cop) in danger, why shouldn't they have helped?

Reck
06-05-2022, 03:10 PM
She continues telling police to help him before trying to jump over the railing, but police stop her.

lol so the police let him jump but later stopped the woman from trying to help?

MultiTroll
06-05-2022, 03:48 PM
lol so the police let him jump but later stopped the woman from trying to help?
?
Encouraged her to stop talking to them and start talking to husband to swim to pylon.

MultiTroll
06-05-2022, 05:00 PM
okay read the whole transcript.

Ya that is weird conversation back n forth, especially when the dude started going under.

Did he have incriminating info on one of the cops, shezus.

MultiTroll
06-05-2022, 05:17 PM
Sure seems like one of them should have jumped in.
OTOH what if drowning Fatty tried to take the cop down with him? Fatty was not in his right mind.

Guess cops don't carry some type of floatation device in their cars.

I'm still working on this case...

Robz4000
06-05-2022, 05:47 PM
They absolutely should've jumped in to save him.

Dick Jones
06-05-2022, 09:51 PM
Helping a drowning person is a good way to get yourself killed. They’re already panicking and can easily pull you down with them. If you’re not trained to do that sort of rescue, I don’t see how you can be blamed for someone else’s stupidity to jump in the lake like that.

GAustex
06-05-2022, 10:16 PM
The poll choices are a bit political and controversial I suppose on purpose
Not a good poll-the choices are poor

DMX7
06-05-2022, 11:08 PM
I think they have a responsibility to make a reasonable effort to save him unless it clearly puts their life in danger.

MultiTroll
06-06-2022, 03:23 AM
The poll choices are a bit political and controversial I suppose on purpose
Not a good poll-the choices are poor
What?
Explain.

I thought about giving more choices but it appears in the situation given the time constraint the choices are only Yes or No.

SpursforSix
06-06-2022, 01:27 PM
Nothing to see here imo. Yeah...it would have been great if one of the cops jumped in and swam out and calmed him down and then towed him in. But as someone said above, that takes some training. Just a bad circumstance with a tragic ending.

MultiTroll
06-06-2022, 01:43 PM
Sad that cop cars are not auto equipped with small floatation devices. Some kind of auto inflate on the spot so they can be all folded up and flat when stored.

Also rope of some kind.

Could have saved Fatty without putting officers life on the line in a lifeguard situation.

SpursforSix
06-06-2022, 01:44 PM
Sad that cop cars are not auto equipped with small floatation devices. Some kind of auto inflate on the spot so they can be all folded up and flat when stored.

Also rope of some kind.

Could have saved Fatty without putting officers life on the line in a lifeguard situation.

That's ridiculous.

MultiTroll
06-06-2022, 01:48 PM
That's ridiculous.
Perfectly reasonable and sound.

Over your head.

SpursforSix
06-06-2022, 01:53 PM
Perfectly reasonable and sound.

Over your head.

Yeah...and you could have every cop car carry around a Jaws of Life as well. As infrequently as this happens, it's cost prohibitive to have every cop car carry around flotation devices and ropes. Not to mention the extra training.
I mean why not just put flotation devices in every pair of pants? Then you don't even have to worry if the cops are there or not.

Reck
06-06-2022, 02:30 PM
That's ridiculous.

Just as ridiculous as cops not protecting and serving AKA doing their jobs.

SpursforSix
06-06-2022, 02:45 PM

what is AKA?

MultiTroll
06-06-2022, 02:45 PM
Yeah...and you could have every cop car carry around a Jaws of Life as well. As infrequently as this happens, it's cost prohibitive to have every cop car carry around flotation devices and ropes. Not to mention the extra training.
I mean why not just put flotation devices in every pair of pants? Then you don't even have to worry if the cops are there or not.
A small floatation device in the trunk of the PD car "cost prohibitive"? Same with a simple rope or plastic rope that seals up small.
FOH.

Get out from behind the computer and tv screen once in a while.

SpursforSix
06-06-2022, 02:47 PM
A small floatation device in the trunk of the PD car "cost prohibitive"? Same with a simple rope or plastic rope that seals up small.
FOH.

Get out from behind the computer and tv screen once in a while.

You still have to train those cops. You think saving someone in water is as easy as having some rope and a floatie?

GAustex
06-06-2022, 02:53 PM
You still have to train those cops. You think saving someone in water is as easy as having some rope and a floatie?
The cops call fire fighters who do water rescues.
Cops are trained not to do water rescues

MultiTroll
06-06-2022, 03:16 PM
The cops call fire fighters who do water rescues.
Cops are trained not to do water rescues
Training required to press a button on an auto gizmo and toss it to SpursforSix in the water while his Rate Her babe looks on?

Please.

SpursforSix
06-06-2022, 03:22 PM
Training required to press a button on an auto gizmo and toss it to SpursforSix in the water while his Rate Her babe looks on?

Please.

so you've gone from wanting to equip cop cars with ropes and floaties to now having an auto gizmo?

Reck
06-06-2022, 03:49 PM
Playing too much Red Dead Redemption 2 there faggs.

The police can barely handle a gun and you want to saddle them with extra equipment to fuck up even more. Lol

Spurminator
06-06-2022, 04:42 PM
Not even in the top 250 concerns with regard to law enforcement protocols.

MultiTroll
06-06-2022, 05:55 PM
so you've gone from wanting to equip cop cars with ropes and floaties to now having an auto gizmo?
You and wreck think :cryit's too complicated and costly.:cry

Amazon.com : RESTUBE Basic Inflatable Water Safety Device : Sports & Outdoors (https://www.amazon.com/RESTUBE-Basic-Inflatable-Safety-Device/dp/B00XW86XJE)

Inflatable PFD Rearming Kits - Grainger Industrial Supply (https://www.grainger.com/category/safety/water-safety/inflatable-pfd-rearming-kits?attrs=For+Use+With%7C1268&filters=attrs&gucid=N:N:PS:Paid:MS:CSM-2296:LC5DTN:20500731&ef_id=6085ab806bac1057c690c91eefa4b62c:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!2966!10!79645963214550!2331445687609226&gclid=6085ab806bac1057c690c91eefa4b62c&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=6085ab806bac1057c690c91eefa4b62c)

And for larger depts that have choppers:

https://youtu.be/wgQcdnTwRpo

Dick Jones
06-06-2022, 07:53 PM
Saving a drowning person isn’t a cop’s job, especially when the idiot jumped in himself after being told not to multiple times.

Dick Jones
06-06-2022, 07:59 PM
Not to mention what is a cop supposed to do with his gun and gear and bullet proof vest while he’s in the water.

”Hey don’t touch all my stuff and especially not my radio or my gun! brb”

pgardn
06-06-2022, 09:03 PM
They should've swam out to him and then shot him because they feared for their safety.

Or just shot each other while yelling ALL lives matter.

Millennial_Messiah
06-07-2022, 07:50 AM
Fuck no. Let the idiot win his Darwin Award. :toast

Millennial_Messiah
06-07-2022, 07:51 AM
But seriously, only the biggest idiot on the entire continent could have drowned in the middle of the fucking Sonoran Desert. :lmao how does that actually happen?

Trill Clinton
06-07-2022, 08:23 AM
Not saying he should have jumped in if he couldn't swim, but cops should be prepared for drowning scenarios. Flotation devices should be in their trunk to throw at someone in distress if they cant safely swim to them. I thought cops had to take a swim test as part of their training? I wonder if the person was a big tittied PAWG would the officer jump in?

Anyways, this has me thinking of the swim scene from police academy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKOh_bELRCU

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-07-2022, 08:31 AM

lol RACK

MultiTroll
06-07-2022, 10:03 AM
Attempting a water rescue without prior training can be dangerous for the would-be rescuer, and organizations that teach water safety (https://www.emra.org/books/emra-ems-essentials/chapter-14-water-rescue/) often emphasize the phrase "Throw, Don't Go." According to the Red Cross (https://www.redcross.org/content/dam/redcross/atg/PDFs/Take_a_Class/Reach_or_throw_dont_go.pdf), the "one thing you do not want to do" when helping a drowning person is to "jump in the water to help."