PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Juwan Howard

timvp
03-29-2003, 01:39 PM
http://espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/2628.jpghttp://espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/nba/med/trans/den.GIF

Name: Juwan Howard
Height: 6-9
Weight: 260 lbs.
Pos: PF
Born: February 7, 1973, Chicago, Illinois
Drafted: 1994, 1st round, 5th pick by Wizards
College: Michigan

Most Spurs fans hate this guy, but he's played well this season and he's a free-agent this summer.

He was once regarded as one of the best upcoming bigmen in the league but struggled after getting his huge contract and people forgot about him. But this year he's played his best ball since early in his career.

Howard can bang, hit short shots around the basket and has a good feel for the game. He would play well off of Duncan and wouldn't mind taking a secondary role.

What do you think about going after him?

I'm not sure how I feel. He could be a good pickup but he could also be a stiff dressed in Nuggets clothing.

SanAntonioBard
03-29-2003, 01:42 PM
Is he better than Kevin Willis?

Question.

timvp
03-29-2003, 01:44 PM
Well he does have ten years on him.

:brotha

SanAntonioBard
03-29-2003, 02:22 PM
So does Greg Osterag. :lol

spurster
03-29-2003, 03:22 PM
If the Nuggets renounce him, he can be signed at a MLE-level contract. His numbers from year to year have been very consistent. He would not be anybody's first choice, but if you can add Kidd and Howard the Spurs would have a heck of a rotation.

Mark in Austin
03-29-2003, 03:30 PM
Howard is an interesting option. Reports out of Denver say that he's been the consumate pro this year. My big question about him is does he have the mental toughness to deal with the postseason? Right now, going into the playoffs, if somebody asked me if I could choose between Howard and Willis, I would take Willis.

I think I would have to trust Pop and RC on this one. But it sounds like Denver wants him back, and he wants to be there, so it's probably a moot point.

DuffMcCartney
03-29-2003, 03:35 PM
Indeed. The guy is a hack anyway. I remember when everybody made a huge deal about him. He turned to bomb badly. Ryan Leaf: The Second Coming.

SanAntonioBard
03-29-2003, 03:43 PM
I don't think Howard is a "Leaf". He's more like a Steve Beuerlein, a player that has played well in spots, but never really put it all together. Leaf was just an utter failure and a total meltdown.

pfc2002
03-29-2003, 04:16 PM
We need a center not another PF... He's totally mediocre also. I say no way

spurster
03-29-2003, 04:38 PM
His career averages are 17.9 PPG and 7.5 RPG. Hardly mediocre.

Patrick Davis
03-29-2003, 07:57 PM
He's good, but not really an option Spurs should really be looking for. There's a lot of other players out there who would fit better.

DuffMcCartney
03-29-2003, 10:09 PM
Bring on Jermaine O'Neal!!!

1JediKnight
03-29-2003, 11:14 PM
O'Neal is a lock to stay in Indy. He can be the man and make more money, plus dominate the East and guaranteed All Star experiences rather than be just another role player.

I would prefer Howard over Kandi (who always has been a bust). Duncan is going to have to play the 5 on both ends unless SA gets Miller. Howard has the complentary game that would fit in well. He has a sidekick mentality and game but gets paid superstar dollars - thats why there is such a negative vibe about him. But he more than gets the job done, can play inside or out, and is a lot cheaper - will be easier to keep TP, SJax and Manu btw.

Sign a backup 5 who can bang on the cheap (ala Willis) and continue to roll

Peter
03-30-2003, 12:16 AM
Hmmm...if Howard would come for $5 mil starting then I would definitely look for the Spurs to make a play for Payton. The Spurs need to add a go-to teammate like Payton for Duncan. The problem is that no doubt a team like Portland or NY would be willing to pay Payton the max and both have talent to send Milwaukee in a S&T.

Payton for $10 mil for 2 or 3 seasons and Howard for $5.

timvp
03-30-2003, 06:35 AM
Howard has been bashed most of his career mainly due to his contract. He is one of the highest paid players in the league this season. That is a joke.

But on an even playing field, Howard is pretty good. He can score and can play a secondary role.

He's a better fit than players like Rasho and KClark.

Patrick Davis
03-30-2003, 06:47 AM
I do think he would be a really good roleplayer on almost any team. The problem is I don't want Tim to play Center. We would never win a jump ball ever again.

pfc2002
03-30-2003, 12:16 PM
He's a better fit than players like Rasho

I'd disagree with that. Rash IMO is a perfect fit. He is a pure center, not a waif and definately not going to worry being the third option. TD plays PF and can fill in at C, Malik is a PF and can play center if a tall guy is PF (ie TD), Howard would be a pure PF ... We need to replace DRobs role with someone who is much better than Willis...

Why do we need to make a major move? TD, SJax, TP and Manu are ALL going to be better next year. Malik and Bowen will probably be better also as they are in their primes.

ps this team is NOTHING like '99 totally different situation.

Truthsayer
03-30-2003, 12:49 PM
Tim already plays a lot if not most of his minutes at center. The fact is that there are no attractive starting quality centers available. The Spurs have more options looking for a power forward.

After losing David and Danny Ferry, we are going to need two or three big men (if Bateer is moved out). Not just one. I'm hoping Luis Scola will be one of them. Karl Malone is also an attractive short term solution since Elton Brand will probably be an unrestricted free agent in 2004.

Jimcs50
03-30-2003, 01:30 PM
Jermaine O'Neil is not a lock to stay in Indy...he will be in SA.

Truthsayer
03-30-2003, 05:48 PM
With CIA Pop, we're really not even going to have a clue until July 1 at least. As for the Kidd thing - read my sig.

SpursForever
03-31-2003, 01:25 AM
Genius, look what happened the last time he played with a great power forward.

Chris Webber got screwed over on and off the court.

Think:flipoff

Patrick Davis
03-31-2003, 01:40 AM
I don't think Howard had anything to do with Webber's off the court problems in washington.

Rabel 13
03-31-2003, 06:38 AM
i dont like howard.

never have. never will.

pass, i prefer buckets by far.

KoriEllis
03-31-2003, 06:01 PM
Today ESPN's Mark Stein has a column on Howard (http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/stein_marc/1531720.html).

timvp
04-18-2003, 06:10 AM
Howard's stock is hard to rate. He's been the laughing stock of the NBA for so long because of his contract, but he had a very good season this year. It should bump his stock up, but probably not too high.

Could be a possibility for the Spurs.

Ghost Writer
04-18-2003, 12:10 PM
Howard at market value (not what he's used to getting paid) is not bad. He's been the only reliable player for Denver and emerged as a team leader for their young guys last season.

What I don't like about him is that he's getting up there in years and he does not bring strong defense or shot-blocking skills.

:cooldevil

GrandeDavid
04-18-2003, 12:17 PM
The only thing I like about Juwan is that he has a cleaner cut goatee then I do. Then again, I think its easier for African Americans to get that trim going cleaner than most Caucasions like myself.

SAmikeyp
04-18-2003, 12:36 PM
how ironic would it be if Howard signed with SA? after the whole DA thing? of course the way DA left here...fans might want Juwan to do it again!! :fro

tlongII
04-18-2003, 12:40 PM
Juwan Howard is a MLE guy.

timvp
04-18-2003, 02:24 PM
Howard around MLE money is a good signing. He could give you 12 points and 8 rebounds pretty easily.

He's one of the few players in the league who can score consistently on Duncan.

Ghost Writer
04-18-2003, 04:28 PM
Again, if you're looking for a big guy who can score, Howard is fine. If you're looking for a big guy who can defend and block shots, try again.

Howard is Malik Rose with the benefit or five inches.

timvp
04-18-2003, 11:35 PM
You are correct. Howard isn't too much of a defender or a shot blocker.

One thing he's shown a tendency to do however is to knock players on their ass.

Is that defense?

T Park Num 9
04-19-2003, 01:13 AM
I like Juwan Howard, howard is a class guy and a good teammate according to those in Denver.

I think next to Duncan in the post Howard could average 14 and 8.

Juwan Howard has a decent jumper and a good lowpost game with that turnaround one hander he flips in in the lane.

His defense is semi suspect yeah, but whos he gonna guard thats a superstar? Minnesota hell guard Joe Smith or Raho.
Lakers, Robert Horry. Suns, hed guard Scott williams or Voshkul.

Keep in mind, with Duncan by his side he DOESNt have to guard the hard big man. He can guard the less athletic or less offensive big guy on the the team.

Mle or less would be a huge signing for the Spurs.

Howard, Kidd, Mike Batiste, and a Voshon Leonard would be a GREAT offseason.

Although I would prefer Brad Miller, Howard and a couple others.