PDA

View Full Version : Suns: Mavs get Wood

baseline bum
06-15-2022, 09:37 PM
LOL Houston

EDIT: Fuck, should have read the thread above first

baseline bum
06-15-2022, 09:38 PM
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34098510/sources-dallas-mavericks-acquire-christian-wood-houston-rockets-26th-pick-nba-draft-4-players

Sources: Dallas Mavericks acquire Christian Wood from Houston Rockets for 26th pick in NBA draft, 4 players

Tim MacMahon Adrian Wojnarowski

The Dallas Mavericks are acquiring center/power forward Christian Wood from the Houston Rockets in exchange for the No. 26 pick in the 2022 NBA draft and four players with expiring contracts, sources told ESPN.

Dallas will send Boban Marjanovic, Marquese Chriss, Trey Burke and Sterling Brown to Houston, sources said, creating roster flexibility and adding a productive big man.

Sources said Houston was motivated to move Wood because the Rockets want to open up playing time for 2021 first-rounder Alperen Sengun and likely the No. 3 overall pick. The Rockets pounced on the opportunity to acquire a first-round selection without taking on any long-term salary.

Wood, 26, averaged 19.1 points and 9.9 rebounds during his two seasons with the Rockets. He is due to make $14.3 million for the 2022-23 season, the final year of his contract.

Upgrading at center was one of the Mavs' primary goals entering the offseason in the wake of their run to the Western Conference finals.

The Rockets now have the Nos. 3, 17 and 26 picks in the June 23 draft.

MultiTroll
06-15-2022, 09:49 PM
Score for Mavs.

Houston figures #3 pick will replace Wood?

Boban getting shuffled again, damn.

Robz4000
06-15-2022, 09:50 PM
Wood sucks when your goal is to win games tbh.

baseline bum
06-15-2022, 09:55 PM

Possibly. Pretty low risk trade to add some talent for Dallas though.

Robz4000
06-15-2022, 10:03 PM
Possibly. Pretty low risk trade to add some talent for Dallas though.

Eh, I think they could've done better with the first rounder and all the expiring contracts. That being said, Wood could become interesting if the Mavs can add a legit defensive big.

MultiTroll
06-15-2022, 10:04 PM
Which was not Houston's goal the past 2 seasons.

djohn2oo8
06-15-2022, 10:42 PM
Which was not Houston's goal the past 2 seasons.
Which means what? He’s been on what 5 teams in 3 years? Lol acting like he’s an all star.

MultiTroll
06-15-2022, 11:00 PM
Which means what? He’s been on what 5 teams in 3 years? Lol acting like he’s an all star.He's been on 5 shitty teams in 5 years.

Prediction if Wood stays healthy will have an excellent year with the Mavs. Will contribute to playoff wins.
Mavs still have to add to Luka Wood but it's a good start. Guess they will overpay Brunson.

TD 21
06-15-2022, 11:07 PM
Eh, I think they could've done better with the first rounder and all the expiring contracts. That being said, Wood could become interesting if the Mavs can add a legit defensive big.

I don't think they could have done better talent wise, but I agree fit wise he's not really what they need since he's not a defensive anchor and it's doubtful whether he'll accept his role as a relatively low usage finisher on offense.

Dick Jones
06-15-2022, 11:15 PM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/035/699/pepe.jpg

Neo.
06-15-2022, 11:57 PM

"all the expiring contracts" for... an expiring contract?

a very late first rounder for... a 20/10 center who is efficient with a pretty consistent 3pt shot?

sounds like pretty good value all around, and an easily tradable piece even if he ends up being as poor of a fit as you and dj:lolhn seem to think

ambchang
06-16-2022, 07:06 AM
Wood with Luka will be hard to stop on offence but his defence is not going to help the Mavs. Still, anything is better than what the Mavs have now at Center.

Chris Fall
06-16-2022, 07:55 AM
Upgrade over the likes of Powell. Good rebounder, good three point shooter. And putting him in a Luka PNR will be interesting. You take the upgrade, for sure. He's an improvement. Just not sure how much he improves the Mavs. Defensively not great with inconsistent effort. And offensively, he plays on an island worried really only about himself and his. He may still need some serious coaching to up his team game.

Don't think it's that bad a deal for Houston either. All the players involved are expiring. And I'm not betting Wood's value is all that much higher than a late first rounder anyway, especially when he could be a one year rental. If they pressed, maybe they could have also squeezed out Josh Green instead of Boban. But it's probably nitpicking. Not a great deal for Houston. Don't think it's bad though either.

KobesAchilles
06-16-2022, 08:48 AM
Luka and Wood trying to defend any pick n roll :lmao

MultiTroll
06-16-2022, 10:08 AM
Wood Haters, he is an upgrade and his on final year of contract.

Who should the Mavs have got instead?

Ya, have another cup.

lefty
06-16-2022, 01:08 PM
Bend over, I'll show you some wood

Thank you Thread :bobo

Thread
06-16-2022, 01:50 PM
Bend over, I'll show you some wood

Thank you Thread (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=19320) :bobo
:bobo

Dick Jones
06-16-2022, 05:26 PM
Anthony Davis trying to stay healthy :lmao

The Gemini Method
06-16-2022, 05:35 PM
Would've been more interesting if they somehow scored Gobert. But I mean in terms of Wood vs. Powell, it's an upgrade at least offensively. Still trends lackluster defensively. Does this help them in any way of retaining Brunson?

djohn2oo8
06-16-2022, 10:40 PM
Yep. Also, when Wood doesn’t get enough touches he’ll get his period.

djohn2oo8
06-16-2022, 10:41 PM
Wood Haters, he is an upgrade and his on final year of contract.

Who should the Mavs have got instead?

Ya, have another cup.
Upgrade over what? If he is the starting center that lineup is getting raped

MultiTroll
06-16-2022, 10:48 PM
Upgrade over what? If he is the starting center that lineup is getting raped
Dwight Powell and Kieble Elve.

We'll see how they do next season with Wood and LukaMVP.

Isitjustme?
06-16-2022, 10:56 PM
Dwight Powell and Kieble Elve.

We'll see how they do next season with Wood and LukaMVP.

They should keep Powell if they can

KobesAchilles
06-17-2022, 08:41 AM
Anthony Davis trying to stay healthy :lmao
I’m actually a Spurs fan. I love it when the Lakers suck tbh. Besides the fake Mickey Mouse title that nobody counts, it’s been a wonderful decade of Lakers sucking

Dick Jones
06-17-2022, 10:13 AM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/035/699/pepe.jpg

Gibbz
06-17-2022, 01:17 PM
He's even more toxic than Porzingis and not anywhere near as good.

Dick Jones
06-17-2022, 05:37 PM
He's even more toxic than Porzingis and not anywhere near as good.
He’s also cheaper, more expendable, and not expected to be the #2 star of the team.

djohn2oo8
07-12-2022, 12:52 PM

:lmao :lmao :Lmao trading a first for his ass only to come off the bench
:lmao Wood gonna throw a tantrum
:lmao Cuban

Neo.
07-12-2022, 01:21 PM

:lmao :lmao :Lmao trading a first for his ass only to come off the bench
:lmao Wood gonna throw a tantrum
:lmao Cuban

:lmao taking the opinion of a writer to mean that the decision has been made by jkidd to bring wood off the bench

TD 21
07-12-2022, 03:59 PM
With McGee supposedly starting at C (will probably average sub 20 mpg though) and Dinwiddie at PG (defensively), this is probably true since it's unlikely they'll move Bullock to the bench.

Bringing their two best bigs (Kleber) off the bench doesn't make sense and Wood, especially in a contract season and with a strong case as the second most talented player on the roster, probably will balk at it though.

Neo.
07-12-2022, 04:27 PM
With McGee supposedly starting at C (will probably average sub 20 mpg though) and Dinwiddie at PG (defensively), this is probably true since it's unlikely they'll move Bullock to the bench.

Bringing their two best bigs (Kleber) off the bench doesn't make sense and Wood, especially in a contract season and with a strong case as the second most talented player on the roster, probably will balk at it though.

how is it unlikely they would move bullock to the bench? he was a bench player for a lot of the year, and was moved to a starting role due to injury issues to begin with. he most definitely could come off the bench. and it's very unlikely that mcgee would be a part of the main unit or closing lineup, bullock would most definitely have that role.

TD 21
07-12-2022, 04:32 PM
how is it unlikely they would move bullock to the bench? he was a bench player for a lot of the year, and was moved to a starting role due to injury issues to begin with. he most definitely could come off the bench. and it's very unlikely that mcgee would be a part of the main unit or closing lineup, bullock would most definitely have that role.

The lineup would lack 3-point shooting and defensive flexibility (important with a Doncic and Dinwiddie back court) without him.

McGee obviously won't close. It'll be Doncic, Finney-Smith and some combination of Bullock, Kleber, Wood, Dinwiddie, Hardaway Jr. depending on a myriad of factors.

Neo.
07-12-2022, 05:38 PM
The lineup would lack 3-point shooting and defensive flexibility (important with a Doncic and Dinwiddie back court) without him.

McGee obviously won't close. It'll be Doncic, Finney-Smith and some combination of Bullock, Kleber, Wood, Dinwiddie, Hardaway Jr. depending on a myriad of factors.

what are you talking about? the only non three point shooter in that lineup would be mcgee. replacing wood with bullock wouldn't exactly make much, if any improvement. in fact, part of woods incredible value is his good 3point shot for his size.

TD 21
07-12-2022, 06:06 PM
what are you talking about? the only non three point shooter in that lineup would be mcgee. replacing wood with bullock wouldn't exactly make much, if any improvement. in fact, part of woods incredible value is his good 3point shot for his size.

Bullock is way higher volume, with a quicker release, plus him along with playing Finney-Smith at the nominal four allows for maximum 1-4 versatility defensively, which is needed with big, slow guards like Doncic and Dinwiddie.

JamStone
07-12-2022, 06:10 PM
Might make some sense for McGee to start against certain teams, like Minnesota, Philly, Denver. Just to put some real size on those centers and avoid foul trouble on some of the other bigs. But still wouldn’t expect McGee to play too many minutes per night. And don’t expect him to start most of the time.

I’d expect most nights would be Luka, Dinwiddie, DFS, Wood, and then the opponent dictating the 5th guy, McGee, Kleber, Bullock, and maybe even Powell or THJ. I expect Wood to start.

Neo.
07-12-2022, 08:03 PM
Bullock is way higher volume, with a quicker release, plus him along with playing Finney-Smith at the nominal four allows for maximum 1-4 versatility defensively, which is needed with big, slow guards like Doncic and Dinwiddie.

lol now dinwiddie is a big slow guard? you clearly have no clue what you're talking about when it comes to the mavs.

regardless I'm not sure I'm a big fan of McGee being the full time starter, but it would be a pretty big surprise if wood came off the bench. I'm pretty sure Kidd simply wants to see the effectiveness of a big lineup with both McGee and Wood, especially since wood is basically a 6'10 shooting guard. but if it doesn't go well you can be sure he's going to quickly send McGee to a bench role.

mystargtr34
07-12-2022, 08:08 PM
Few ways the Mavs can go now so will be interesting to see how Kidd plays it. Versatility is a good thing.

Bullock is the Mavs best perimeter defender both by metrics and eye test so I cant see him moving to the bench. Mavs would lose too much on that end especially with Doncic-Dinwiddie together in the backcourt.

Doncic-Dinwiddie-Bullock-DFS-Wood

McGee is probably the better option to start for rim protection and bring Wood off the bench but I think the Mavs would risk locker room issues with Wood coming off the bench.

Playing McGee and Wood together may work against some teams but will they be able to guard the perimeter when teams space them.

Either way I think the Mavs needed to desperately upgrade Dwight Powell at C and they've done that quite well through Wood and McGee. Getting Hardaway back should give them that bench scoring punch they need given Dinwiddie will take Brunson'sspot in the SL.

mystargtr34
07-12-2022, 08:20 PM
Doncic-Ntilikina
Dinwiddie-Hardaway
Bullock-Bertans
DFS-Kleber
Wood-McGee

That's pretty good tbh. Still think the Mavs beat any team in the West in a playoff series other than the Warriors or a healthy Clippers (which may never happen).

I think this lineup above actually matches better against the Warriors now, but not sure its enough. Who knows though by the playoffs next season Steph will be nearly 35 with lots of miles.

Mavs two most used lineups in the playoffs against the Warriors both were with both Doncic and Brunson and got destroyed in terms of net rating. -10 and -18 Net Rating.

The third and fourth most used lineup had positive net rating of +26 (Brunson, no Doncic) and +19 (Doncic, no Brunson). So basically you couldn't play Doncic and Brunson together cause they were just abused defensively. Some of this may be to do with matching up against bench lineups too.

The Doncic-Dinwiddie-Bullock-DFS-Kleber was the +19 one.

Losing Brunson is a positive when it comes to the Warriors matchup :lol.

ambchang
07-12-2022, 08:56 PM
Woods just gives me the ceballos vibes. Talented scorer, no defense, self Centred malcontent. Hopefully the Mavs with a good chance of winning would give him a better outlook and he’d get in line, but I have my doubts.

TD 21
07-12-2022, 10:40 PM
lol now dinwiddie is a big slow guard? you clearly have no clue what you're talking about when it comes to the mavs.

regardless I'm not sure I'm a big fan of McGee being the full time starter, but it would be a pretty big surprise if wood came off the bench. I'm pretty sure Kidd simply wants to see the effectiveness of a big lineup with both McGee and Wood, especially since wood is basically a 6'10 shooting guard. but if it doesn't go well you can be sure he's going to quickly send McGee to a bench role.

Now you're just being purposely obtuse. I clearly meant laterally (as in he's not cut out to defend smaller, quicker guards), which is why I brought up the defensive versatility starting Bullock and playing Finney-Smith at the nominal 4 multiple times allows.

DMC
07-13-2022, 03:18 PM
Djohn "AND THEN THIS HAPPENED!!!!" Flynn striking out again.

Mark Celibate
07-19-2022, 10:21 PM
a lot of question marks here especially the high turnover of teams. tbh he's gone through more teams than mookie goes through plates at an all you can eat buffet. came off an obvious stat padding season w/ Houston, will he be mature enough to realize that his touches are going to go down? will he sacrifice for the greater good or go full 'ooga booga' if he's not getting the ball enough?

imho i have a feeling this will backfire but they had to make a high risk/high reward move with the limited options out there and get Powell out asap

07-20-2022, 11:24 AM
a lot of question marks here especially the high turnover of teams. tbh he's gone through more teams than mookie goes through plates at an all you can eat buffet. came off an obvious stat padding season w/ Houston, will he be mature enough to realize that his touches are going to go down? will he sacrifice for the greater good or go full 'ooga booga' if he's not getting the ball enough?

imho i have a feeling this will backfire but they had to make a high risk/high reward move with the limited options out there and get Powell out asap
I dont really see it as high risk tbh, they gave up a bunch of nothing for him plus he's an expiring. Worst case scenario they ship his ass at the deadline imho

Neo.
07-20-2022, 11:48 AM
I dont really see it as high risk tbh, they gave up a bunch of nothing for him plus he's an expiring. Worst case scenario they ship his ass at the deadline imho

yeah pretty much this

Neo.
07-20-2022, 11:49 AM

yeah pretty much this

Mark Celibate
07-20-2022, 02:32 PM

good point actually, forgot about the expiring part. tbh he seems like he's another Matt Barnes/Stephen Jackson mercenary-type player who will be shipped from team to team but talented enough to get picked up by teams looking for stop gaps imho

djohn2oo8
09-26-2022, 10:32 AM
:lmao taking the opinion of a writer to mean that the decision has been made by jkidd to bring wood off the bench

Now what? :lmao :lmao :lmao

djohn2oo8
09-26-2022, 10:32 AM
Djohn "AND THEN THIS HAPPENED!!!!" Flynn striking out again.
DMC left with another cock in his mouth.

djohn2oo8
09-26-2022, 10:33 AM
Told Mav fans he plays no fucking defense now his ass will come off the bench :rollin

“But he’s going to lock down on D now because he plays for a contender”
:lmao

djohn2oo8
09-30-2022, 05:35 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

djohn2oo8
09-30-2022, 05:36 PM
“But his attitude will change” :rollin

Texas_Ranger
10-01-2022, 08:29 AM
most people knew this guy would be a problem. But even if he had a good attitude i dont see the mavs suddenly be a championship team. There's a bigger chance they go out in the first round than reach the conf finals this year.
I also really hope Doncic goes somewhere else real soon. He is wasting his time there.

InRareForm
10-01-2022, 11:06 AM
Pause

Monostradamus
10-03-2022, 11:05 AM
most people knew this guy would be a problem. But even if he had a good attitude i dont see the mavs suddenly be a championship team. There's a bigger chance they go out in the first round than reach the conf finals this year.
I also really hope Doncic goes somewhere else real soon. He is wasting his time there.
Considering his national team experience, Luka seems pretty used to dealing with garbage teammates.

Texas_Ranger
10-03-2022, 01:24 PM
Considering his national team experience, Luka seems pretty used to dealing with garbage teammates.

Luka has been garbage in important games for Slovenia as well. Played like shit in the Olympics vs France and Australia and this year vs fucking Poland.

Monostradamus
10-07-2022, 10:36 PM

Isitjustme?
10-23-2022, 12:32 PM
This guy looking gooood

mystargtr34
10-23-2022, 09:17 PM
Wood off the bench is lethal. Essentially playing the Ginobili role as the second best offensive player while coming off the bench.

Starting McGee sets the tone defensively and then you bring in Wood to feast on the opponent bench unit and you close games with Wood depending on the matchup.

Monostradamus
10-25-2022, 09:56 AM
:cry but but but I thought Christian Wood was the problem!

LkrFan
10-25-2022, 10:57 AM

:lol

LkrFan
10-25-2022, 10:58 AM
:cry but but but I thought Christian Wood was the problem!

djohn2oo8 getcho hummingbird ass in here and :downspin: this shiiiiiiit :rollin :lmao :rollin

lefty
10-25-2022, 12:21 PM
:lol Gordon’s reaction

djohn2oo8
10-30-2022, 02:10 PM

djohn2oo8
11-26-2022, 07:39 PM
Lol relegated to 23 minutes bench man

DMC
11-27-2022, 02:07 AM
Lol relegated to 23 minutes bench man

Dude, you bitch about Luka getting 43 minutes then you bitch about Wood getting 23. Wood's doing fine.

djohn2oo8
11-27-2022, 08:54 AM
Dude, you bitch about Luka getting 43 minutes then you bitch about Wood getting 23. Wood's doing fine.
It’s a contract year for Wood. He isn’t down with coming off the bench. Especially playing 20 minutes a game.

Folks said he was gonna be Luka’s second star :lol

Texas_Ranger
11-27-2022, 09:15 AM
It’s a contract year for Wood. He isn’t down with coming off the bench. Especially playing 20 minutes a game.

Folks said he was gonna be Luka’s second star :lol

He is the second star. Its not his fault Jason Kidd is retarded.

horseshue
11-27-2022, 11:37 AM
He is the second star. Its not his fault Jason Kidd is retarded.

Right now he is a bench player, who is not playing in crunch time.

horseshue
11-30-2022, 03:42 AM
26 min, 4 pts, 2/12 fg, -16 in a win. Bad day in office for C. Woot. He hasn't earned D yet to be called wood.

djohn2oo8
12-01-2022, 09:48 PM
:lmao awful defense against Detroit

djohn2oo8
12-18-2022, 12:50 AM

horseshue
12-18-2022, 01:24 AM
Wood has been playing great recently, but mavs are still trash. Corpse of kemba is the best player on the floor for them, when luka is not around.

Texas_Ranger
01-04-2023, 03:06 PM
If the Mavericks can't come to terms with Christian Wood on a new contract, they are widely expected to explore the trade market for him before the league's Feb. 9 trade deadline, per
@TheSteinLine.

Luka please get the fuck out of this shithole.

Isitjustme?
01-06-2023, 10:24 PM
:lmao awful defense against Detroit

https://twitter.com/ClutchPointsApp/status/1609428431061782530

djohn2oo8
01-11-2023, 12:52 AM
:lmao blocked like the bitch he is
:lmao 3 rebounds
:lmao tell that pussy ass nigga to flex now
:lmao get bullied by real niggas in the paint

djohn2oo8
03-01-2023, 08:18 AM

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

djohn2oo8
03-01-2023, 08:28 AM

KingKev
03-01-2023, 10:59 AM
Lol Mavs rister and cap situation is so damn bad. Only a matter of time before Luka wants out.

horseshue
03-01-2023, 11:06 AM
Wood and flat earther will be gone after couple months. :lol

djohn2oo8
03-01-2023, 01:30 PM
And boys said a Nike shoe exec was gonna turn it all around

Seventyniner
03-01-2023, 01:50 PM
Nothing like a fluke conference finals appearance to make a team think its future is much brighter than it really is. The Blazers went through this a few years ago, though tbf Luka >>> Dame.

baseline bum
03-01-2023, 02:00 PM
Lol Mavs rister and cap situation is so damn bad. Only a matter of time before Luka wants out.

I still think Cuban won't honor a trade demand when Doncic still has 3 years on his deal.

djohn2oo8
03-01-2023, 05:46 PM
I still think Cuban won't honor a trade demand when Doncic still has 3 years on his deal.
This trade for Kyrie was desperation. When Luka wants out he’ll have no choice.

horseshue
03-05-2023, 01:42 PM
Now he is a 10th player off the bench.

djohn2oo8
03-05-2023, 03:44 PM
Now he is a 10th player off the bench.

djohn2oo8
03-11-2023, 10:59 PM
15 minutes played and an L :lol

horseshue
07-11-2023, 06:38 AM
Bump!
Is this man signed? Haven't heard about him in free agency.

TD 21
09-05-2023, 10:15 PM
Now the Lakers do. Despite his warts, for the price (minimum, which should mean maximum motivation) and given the options available, great signing.

But none of their C options have the girth to defend Jokic.

Raven
09-10-2023, 04:57 AM
guy is clearly an end of bench bum, no idea why anyone would think otherwise.

Dirks_Finale
09-10-2023, 06:58 PM
Now the Lakers do. Despite his warts, for the price (minimum, which should mean maximum motivation) and given the options available, great signing.

But none of their C options have the girth to defend Jokic.

Lebron might be able to push the guy to play something resembling defense. If so, big W for LA.

Thread
09-19-2023, 08:00 AM
Lebron might be able to push the guy to play something resembling defense. If so, big W for LA.

He'd have to be taught & learn "to play something resembling defense" before he'd be qualified to "push" a fellow. Sure, he can readily defend Minnesota Floyd, but in his chosen profession? No.

whitemamba
09-19-2023, 04:41 PM
low risk, possible high reward, cheap.

Robz4000
09-20-2023, 01:42 PM

:lol sounds like what Mavfan said this time last year

djohn2oo8
09-20-2023, 10:11 PM
Lmao high risk low reward