PDA

View Full Version : Less than one week remaining. Lock in your votes… Who is your pick at #9?

Dejounte
06-18-2022, 07:14 AM
Last poll for this.

We all know it’s not going to be any of these guys :lmao but people love their mock drafts and these are mostly the consensus of who will be picked by the Spurs according to those mock drafts.

Marco
06-18-2022, 07:17 AM
My pick if I am Brian Wright?

Dejounte
06-18-2022, 07:18 AM
My pick if I am Brian Wright?

Your personal favorite or whoever you think the Spurs will pick out of the 10. Doesn’t matter.

Texas eye
06-18-2022, 07:29 AM
i have a feeling 9 gets moved.

mo7888
06-18-2022, 07:35 AM
Last poll for this.

We all know it’s not going to be any of these guys :lmao but people love their mock drafts and these are mostly the consensus of who will be picked by the Spurs according to those mock drafts.

Are you asking who we think the Spurs take or are you saying that list will be available at 9 and who we'd pick from that group? Mathurin would be my pick then Duren...but I don't expect either to be available at 9..

Degoat
06-18-2022, 07:42 AM
Spurs don’t need to overthink this one, I hope they dont. Take in their opinion from the scouting they’ve done the best player on their board.

Dejounte
06-18-2022, 07:48 AM
Are you asking who we think the Spurs take or are you saying that list will be available at 9 and who we'd pick from that group? Mathurin would be my pick then Duren...but I don't expect either to be available at 9..

Just any haha. Making polls for different scenarios would be too much. I know the differences between those scenarios are distinct and the choices will vary depending on the scenario, but just lump it all in one category and choose one :)

i made the title vague on purpose

mo7888
06-18-2022, 07:53 AM
Just any haha. Making polls for different scenarios would be too much. I know the differences between those scenarios are distinct and the choices will vary depending on the scenario, but just lump it all in one category and choose one :)

i made the title vague on purpose

Good deal! I'll just go with the one that's highest on my board this year...

The Truth #6
06-18-2022, 08:25 AM
Let the record show I chose Mark Williams because I think that’s what they’ll do not that he’s my choice. Lol.

TD 21
06-18-2022, 09:24 AM
It's rare that I'm not definitive, but I'm still unsure between Davis or Dieng. I'd be surprised if it weren't one of them though.

rascal
06-18-2022, 09:58 AM
Your personal favorite or whoever you think the Spurs will pick out of the 10. Doesn’t matter.

Results would be different but you covered that in an earlier post.

rascal
06-18-2022, 10:04 AM
Might be the only fanbase choosing Sochan over players like Sharpe and Mathurin.

Don't complain Spur fans when they are trotting out less athletic teams all the time.

Chomag
06-18-2022, 10:13 AM
Can't wait for the explosion on this site when FO picks someone that nobody is talking about with the 9th. The Primo pick brought this site down for a few haha.

Anyways, I hope not but there is no telling with this FO.

rascal
06-18-2022, 10:16 AM
Can't wait for the explosion on this site when FO picks someone that nobody is talking about with the 9th. The Primo pick brought this site down for a few haha.

Anyways, I hope not but there is no telling with this FO.

This year will be opposite and Sochan will be the pick.

Chomag
06-18-2022, 10:17 AM
I see that the better players are not getting picked by most here. Is it because they don't think that they will be available at 9?

Ariel
06-18-2022, 11:09 AM
AJ Griffin @ 9, Eason @ 20, Kenneth Lofton @ 25, and finally Procida @ 38, Then we find out we traded 20 and 38 to Dallas and Milwaukee, for a future protected 1st and 2nd rounder respectively

JPB
06-18-2022, 11:10 AM
Obviously depends of who is availabel, which aren't necessarily the ones we think now.

But Sochan or Duren since I don't think Mathurin will be there.

Joseph Kony
06-18-2022, 11:26 AM
Agree, probably not gonna be anyone on this list :lol

scott
06-18-2022, 11:27 AM
How is can’t miss prospect, future HOFer and all-time great Sharpe stuck with only 2 votes?

Ignazzz
06-18-2022, 12:16 PM
How is can’t miss prospect, future HOFer and all-time great Sharpe stuck with only 2 votes?
Bc he is 1st pick in this Draft

Cardinal
06-18-2022, 12:25 PM
No Jalen Williams?!

Dejounte
06-18-2022, 12:49 PM
No Jalen Williams?!

I left controversial players out because ST is vanilla is fuck with its belief that only top projected players end up being good.

MultiTroll
06-18-2022, 12:52 PM
Sochan.

I will live with it if he never develops a solid trey and long 2 jumper.

Willing to risk he will. Rest of his game and IQ is ++.

MultiTroll
06-18-2022, 12:54 PM
No Jalen Williams?!

I left controversial players out because ST is vanilla is fuck with its belief that only top projected players end up being good.
Will not be devestated if they take Williams at 9.

Too high? Yes, but Williams is one of those who might not be available with the Spurs next pick.

He's a project but has plenty of tools to work with including an already established trey.

Dejounte
06-18-2022, 01:33 PM
IMO,
the Spurs will target one of two things (strictly speaking of the 9th pick):

1) a player with closer/ Go-to guy potential
2) A big man to replace Poeltl

for #1, I would rank the guys listed in this poll like this:

1. Mathurin
2. Sharpe
3. Davis

for #2, we only have two centers:

1. M. Williams
2. Duren

So IF the guy the Spurs ultimately select is one of the 10 guys listed, I believe it will be one of these five.

Dejounte
06-18-2022, 01:48 PM
Just one year, let’s go with my guy. Come on, Spurs. Draft JDub!

Robz4000
06-18-2022, 01:56 PM
Spurs trade down imo.

duncan2150
06-18-2022, 04:46 PM
Still a four names race in my opinion : sochan, duren, davis and daniels;

I will go with Sochan for the fit.

slick'81
06-18-2022, 04:54 PM
Either a wing who can shoot and score or a 4/5 who can help or replace poodle power

BatManu20
06-18-2022, 05:09 PM
1. Sochan
2. Daniels
3. Mathurin
4. Mark Williams

The Truth #6
06-18-2022, 05:24 PM
Williams or Dieng.

aksyunstar
06-18-2022, 05:46 PM
either Duren or Mathurin for me.

BatManu20
06-18-2022, 06:21 PM
If we trade down, then I think Dieng or Mark Williams will be the target.

Dejounte
06-18-2022, 06:53 PM
Which player is this year’s Sengun?

Fan favorite + believed to be picked before the Spurs position + passed up by the Spurs and falls into the late teens + causes casuals to be upset over missing out on an average player?

KobesAchilles
06-18-2022, 07:00 PM
Trade all 3 plus next years first for AD

Ditty
06-18-2022, 07:01 PM
Still not backing off Dieng being the pick at 9.

dbestpro
06-18-2022, 07:14 PM
Malaki Branham.

lebomb
06-18-2022, 08:47 PM
Duren is still my pick. A young D Robinson build ….. body wise center piece.

slick'81
06-18-2022, 09:19 PM
Duren is still my pick. A young D Robinson build ….. body wise center piece.

and pop can hide him in the g league

heyheymymy
06-18-2022, 09:41 PM
Trying to read too much into this but:

It would've been Duren then Mathurin but they go before #9 leading to a somewhat surprising pick of J. Davis in the end, who ends up being a really nice fit/piece.

So many possible paths, hard to tell. I could see Spurs interest in a Center being true, but in a twist, not necessarily limited to the draft like rumored. What if Spurs are shopping for a C, but get an established one in a trade instead? I'm not a fan of that Turner rumor though. But this would free up any used picks to be focused more on non bigs. Then if there is a pick swap situation on top of that trade, that shifts the whole player range depending on what is swapped back, thus we are all back to the drawing board on player scouting for guys not initially in Spurs range.

I feel like the reality will be some combo of trades and punted picks that no one foresaw exactly perfectly in any prediction. Looking to the flurry at the deadline as a sign that this isn't going to be your traditionally reserved Spurs type offseason moves.

T Park
06-18-2022, 09:57 PM
and pop can hide him in the g league

Nah, the way the tea leaves read, if they get Duren Jacob is gone, and Collins Landale are getting renounced to go after Ayton

T Park
06-18-2022, 09:57 PM

Fan favorite + believed to be picked before the Spurs position + passed up by the Spurs and falls into the late teens + causes casuals to be upset over missing out on an average player?

1000% Tari Eason

T Park
06-18-2022, 09:58 PM
I’ll say Duren. Heard Larry has told the Spurs Duren is David Robinson 2.0. 🤷🏻#♂️

heyheymymy
06-18-2022, 09:59 PM
I also think assuming you pick with the Spurs current positions, you wouldn't necessarily have to punt #38 or possibly even #25 due to too many incoming guys at the same time. Wouldn't you be able to feed 1-2 of these picks into Austin for a season or two, especially if they are the type of raw projects typically available at #25/#38. This would allow Spurs to pick #9 and #20 and focus development on them properly while still utilizing #25 and #38 without overloading the staff or log jamming the depth chart tbh. Might be to the brim but wouldn't that distribute projects around enough, and you could stagger them into the lineups if they polished up or cut them relatively easily if they became surplus to requirements. Could even become trade assets as throw in ballast or sweeteners depending on how well they surprise with development. There's a few guys around #25 & #38 that seem worth the effort if they are still available at those picks despite the 3-4 total new guys at once being possibly unmanageable.

I say remain open to maybe flipping one of the firsts for a 23 FRP, I am intrigued by that strategy of pushing picks down to another year, especially if you get to the last 2 picks and zero dream fallers or likely targets are there and no one really catches your interests to much.

Also very open to including picks in a trade if it brings back the goods or considering advantageous pick swaps on their own or part of a larger trade if the deal is too good to pass up.

But everyone keeps saying there's a limit to staff and I could see that, you def don't want to miss on development opportunities because you bit off more than you can chew. I'm just wondering if you jettison the latter 2 picks to Austin G League wouldn't that offset the burden on development staff enough to go ahead and use all 4 picks?

slick'81
06-18-2022, 10:18 PM
Ill go DD @9 i guess-Duren/Davis

RC_Drunkford
06-19-2022, 04:55 AM
I hope it's Duren because that would mean we are trading Poeltl for a starting PF most likely. Poeltl is the one player who's skillset can easily be replaced by a rookie.

Dejounte
06-19-2022, 06:40 AM
1000% Tari Eason
Tari Eason is not a fan favorite. Look at the poll.

John B
06-19-2022, 08:36 AM
My pick is Davis
Who I suspect FO would pick is Sochan

I wouldn’t be disappointed on either Sochan or Duren. Part of me roots for Duren with what Coach Larry Brown is saying about him, could be the biggest should’ve been the pick if Spurs didn’t :lol

Trueblood
06-19-2022, 09:05 AM
Take the player with the highest upside. We aren't getting anything through FA and we don't with with Dejonte and his backup. I hated the way the Samanic pick turned out, but at least they were swinging for potential

heyheymymy
06-19-2022, 09:32 AM
Spurs picking Duren would be huge because of the implications:

- what embracing a non Spurs type player means in terms of a new vision for the Spurs and a different approach going forward from traditional Spurs norms (I feel like SA rarely gravitates towards lob threat type bigs imho)

- aside from that philosophical change for the Spurs operational approach, a more literal rebrand on the court as well because a player like Duren and his skillsets would drastically change the way SA plays the game. (more lobs?)

- Poeltl is probably gone, and high value outbound should mean high value inbound. Poeltl is a decent asset and could bring back something interesting

Duren would seem to signal a distinct and very purposeful redirection. Really fits the stated priority of maximum future flexibility as well. Deals with an upcoming hindrance in Poeltl getting paid and having to run the numbers on where the value lies there. Fresh start feeling.

DPG21920
06-19-2022, 09:33 AM
Nah, the way the tea leaves read, if they get Duren Jacob is gone, and Collins Landale are getting renounced to go after Ayton

Not saying that can’t happen, but that would be pretty bad IMO. Using the 9th pick on a Center only to offer max money to Ayton and block said Center that you just drafted at 9?

I would agree that getting Duren maybe makes trading Jakob more likely, but if you draft Duren its not exactly the best use of funds to go after Ayton IMO.

heyheymymy
06-19-2022, 09:38 AM
Almost feels like if Poeltl is traded he would almost have to bring back an established big, preferably a PF that can play a little situational C or small ball C. Not sure how Zollins/Landale shore up and if Duren comes in at #9 he won't immediately drop in the rotation presumably.

Otherwise I'm afraid Spurs are going to be in the Wembanyama running lol

3&D_TBH
06-19-2022, 09:50 AM
Spurstalk: "We got Sochan! Imma dye my hair green! Let's go!"

Spurstalk a year later after realizing Sochan is an offensive liability on the floor: "Remember when all of those losers dyed their hair green?"

Note: I'm in camp Sochan, too, but this is the way things usually work out for me.

heyheymymy
06-19-2022, 09:57 AM
Hope Spurs land Mathurin just for the savages on SpursTalk to start nicknaming him Mathurine after he has a bad game

TD 21
06-19-2022, 10:24 AM
My preference is still someone trades up to 4 for Ivey and the Spurs can pull off Poeltl and 25 for Washington Jr. and 15, then reroute Washington Jr., 9 and 20 for 5, pick Murray and M. Williams.

Spurs picking Duren would be huge because of the implications:

- what embracing a non Spurs type player means in terms of a new vision for the Spurs and a different approach going forward from traditional Spurs norms (I feel like SA rarely gravitates towards lob threat type bigs imho)

- aside from that philosophical change for the Spurs operational approach, a more literal rebrand on the court as well because a player like Duren and his skillsets would drastically change the way SA plays the game. (more lobs?)

- Poeltl is probably gone, and high value outbound should mean high value inbound. Poeltl is a decent asset and could bring back something interesting

Duren would seem to signal a distinct and very purposeful redirection. Really fits the stated priority of maximum future flexibility as well. Deals with an upcoming hindrance in Poeltl getting paid and having to run the numbers on where the value lies there. Fresh start feeling.

I still see them prioritizing shot creation at 9, but agreed.

If they went big/finisher though, they'd most likely push down Davis or Sharpe, thereby likely increasing the chances of Branham or Dieng making it to 14-15, a range they're seemingly capable of trading into.

scott
06-19-2022, 07:05 PM

Mathurin has got to be the guy. Has love in this poll, and is expected to go higher. He's the guy we'll all get pumped about when he falls to 9 and then cause a server crash when we pick Max Christie over him.

BuffaloBill
06-19-2022, 07:17 PM
I’m a Sochan fan. Reminds a lot of former Spurs’ Kyle Anderson and Boris Diaw. I do think he has more offensive potential than either but those kinds of players usually have an impact on winning. Go-to scorers and stars are important, but guys that make unselfish, winning plays are just important. If you don’t have a star at pick 9, then I like Sochan. He’s not afraid to get his hands dirty and can bring some nasty. If primo and Vassell are a part of the future, Sochan is a good fit alongside them.

Thomas82
06-19-2022, 09:41 PM
Almost feels like if Poeltl is traded he would almost have to bring back an established big, preferably a PF that can play a little situational C or small ball C. Not sure how Zollins/Landale shore up and if Duren comes in at #9 he won't immediately drop in the rotation presumably.

Otherwise I'm afraid Spurs are going to be in the Wembanyama running lol

Being in the Wembenyama running would be a good thing, especially if we win the right to draft him.

KobesAchilles
06-19-2022, 10:33 PM
Idk where the thread is that asks who my Sengun is this year but it’s that foreign kid Procieda for me

emanueldavidginobili
06-20-2022, 12:46 AM
I think it’s going to be Sochan or Duren. I wouldn’t mind either of those two but I would like Mathurin over them but I doubt he’ll be there at 9.

BatManu20
06-20-2022, 01:12 AM
The more I think about it, the more I’m convinced it’s gonna be Sochan, especially with Shaedon likely sliding down boards right now which pushes Daniels and Davis up. Barring the blazers trading #7, I think they take Davis there and Daniels goes 8.

1. ORL - Jabari
2. OKC - Chet
3. HOU - Banchero
4. SAC - Murray
5. DET - Ivey
6. IND - Mathurin
7. POR - Davis
8. NOL - Daniels
9. SAS - Sochan
10. WAS - Duren
11. NYK - Sharpe
12. OKC - Dieng
13. CHA - M. Williams

slick'81
06-20-2022, 01:16 AM
The more I think about it, the more I’m convinced it’s gonna be Sochan, especially with Shaedon likely sliding down boards right now which pushes Daniels and Davis up. Barring the blazers trading #7, I think they take Davis there and Daniels goes 8.

1. ORL - Jabari
2. OKC - Chet
3. HOU - Banchero
4. SAC - Murray
5. DET - Ivey
6. IND - Mathurin
7. POR - Davis
8. NOL - Daniels
9. SAS - Sochan
10. WAS - Duren
11. NYK - Sharpe
12. OKC - Dieng
13. CHA - M. Williams

so that's awful for us right? Because spurs would rather have davis/mathurin correct?

mo7888
06-20-2022, 08:34 AM

1. ORL - Jabari
2. OKC - Chet
3. HOU - Banchero
4. SAC - Murray
5. DET - Ivey
6. IND - Mathurin
7. POR - Davis
8. NOL - Daniels
9. SAS - Sochan
10. WAS - Duren
11. NYK - Sharpe
12. OKC - Dieng
13. CHA - M. Williams

If the first 7 go in that order I'd either select Duren/Sharpe or trade back with okc to 12 and get an additional future pick.

rjv
06-20-2022, 11:18 AM
i'd love to see mathurin somehow drop but that's highly unlikely so i guess i'd be okay with sochan or davis. i like jalen but would prefer he also somehow dropped to #20.

2centsworth
06-20-2022, 11:21 AM
Sharpe is dropping to 9 and the Spurs will have a tough choice.

SAGirl
06-25-2022, 02:02 AM
This one actually pinpointed Sochan accurately

Mr. Body
06-25-2022, 01:51 PM

1. ORL - Jabari
2. OKC - Chet
3. HOU - Banchero
4. SAC - Murray
5. DET - Ivey
6. IND - Mathurin
7. POR - Davis
8. NOL - Daniels
9. SAS - Sochan
10. WAS - Duren
11. NYK - Sharpe
12. OKC - Dieng
13. CHA - M. Williams

Good to see these prognostications. Turned out Sharpe was taken at Portland after they went gaga over his worout. Davis went to Washington at 10. It's bizarre that OKC overpaid for Dieng.. I actually don't know the story there, whether NYK held them hostage a little? Does anyone know?

Then OKC took Jalen Williams and CHA did wind up with M. Williams but took Duren at 13 and flipped him for a worse pick in the future.

Mr. Body
06-25-2022, 01:51 PM

1. ORL - Jabari
2. OKC - Chet
3. HOU - Banchero
4. SAC - Murray
5. DET - Ivey
6. IND - Mathurin
7. POR - Davis
8. NOL - Daniels
9. SAS - Sochan
10. WAS - Duren
11. NYK - Sharpe
12. OKC - Dieng
13. CHA - M. Williams

Good to see these prognostications. Turned out Sharpe was taken at Portland after they went gaga over his worout. Davis went to Washington at 10. It's bizarre that OKC overpaid for Dieng.. I actually don't know the story there, whether NYK held them hostage a little? Does anyone know?

Then OKC took Jalen Williams and CHA did wind up with M. Williams but took Duren at 13 and flipped him for a worse pick in the future.