PDA

View Full Version : It's Christmas Day

offset formation
06-23-2022, 10:44 AM
This is everyone's chance to officially be on record of who you want the Spurs to select at each of their slotted draft positions, or hell, if you want them to trade out (up or down). Suggest a trade if you want.

It seems each year, folks like to say, "the Spurs should have taken so and so", and "I knew he'd suck" or, "I knew he was going to be great."

This is also your chance to officially sound off pre-draft who will royally piss you off if we take them at 9 or 20.

So here's your chance to unwrap your Christmas packages (draft picks) of whom you hope PATFO should take based reasonably on who is expected to still be on the board. I'll start.

9. I'm exstatic with any of: Daniels, Dieng, Sochan, (Prefer Murray first [CBS mock has him making it to us] and then Mathurian [SportsNaut has him slipping to below us at 10] if they should slip). **Absolutely do not want Griffin, Agbaji, Duren, Davis, or Sharpe** here, but wouldn't care if they fell to 20.

Note: Am also increasingly worried we take J. Williams as the prototypical late riser at 9 because he's a great kid from a good family, aka a Spurs type player, but he doesn't belong in the top 10 tbh, sorry Dejounte.

20. Would be exstatic with any of these guys here: Eason, M. Williams, J. Williams, Branham

25. Would be exstatic with any of: Liddell, LaRavia, Brown

38. And finally, there is great value here with: Minott, Christie, McGowens, Diabate, Procida

Invite Cock burn, Nzosa to camp as a swing for the fence diamond in the rough center if not drafted in the 2nd.

I noted above on 9 who would piss me off but since we have Primo in our rearview, it would piss me off royally if we try to outsmart the NBA again and take some young kid that's going to go high in next year's draft again, name currently unknown. There's apparently always a chance the Spurs do this moving forward.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-23-2022, 10:47 AM
9. Someone tall who can shoot and play D
20. Someone tall who can shoot or play D
25. Someone who has 2 of these traits -- tall, can shoot, can play D
28. Someone tall or who can shoot

Ariel
06-23-2022, 10:52 AM
Like I said in another thread:
OK, final cut: If possible, trade up to 4 to get Banchero / Ivey (9 + KJ?). If not, trade up from 25 to the mid teens (25 + 38 + Richardson?). If not, trade back from 9 to something like 13 & 15. If none happens and we draft were we are right now, these are my targets:
9) Mathurin / Sochan / Dyson Daniels
20) Jaylen Williams / Mark Williams / Branham / Blake Wesley / Tari Eason (most won't be available there, but someone will)
25) Whomever falls from 20, + Dalen Terry / Dieng / EJ Lidell / Jovic / McGowens / Hardy
38) Kamagate / Procida / Minott
It'd have to take into account previous selections, so for instance if you take Mark Williams at 20 you don't take Kamagate at 38, or if you don't take Sochan at 9 Eason rises at 20 and Liddell at 25. But overall, I'm good with something like that.
Please DON'T REACH. NO DIENG AT 9!!!! NO MINOTT AT 20!!! NO MAX CHRISTIE AT 25!!! And don't draft a glut of guards!!! Please make that happen!

offset formation
06-23-2022, 10:54 AM
28. Someone tall or who can shoot

Simple and sweet. Me likey.

offset formation
06-23-2022, 10:55 AM
Like I said in another thread:
OK, final cut: If possible, trade up to 4 to get Banchero / Ivey (9 + KJ?). If not, trade up from 25 to the mid teens (25 + 38 + Richardson?). If not, trade back from 9 to something like 13 & 15. If none happens and we draft were we are right now, these are my targets:
20) Jaylen Williams / Mark Williams / Branham / Blake Wesley / Tari Eason (most won't be available there, but someone will)
25) Whomever falls from 20, + Dalen Terry / Dieng / EJ Lidell / Jovic / McGowens / Hardy
38) Kamagate / Procida / Minott
It'd have to take into account previous selections, so for instance if you take Mark Williams at 20 you don't take Kamagate at 38, or if you don't take Sochan at 9 Eason rises at 20 and Liddell at 25. But overall, I'm good with something like that.
Please DON'T REACH. NO DIENG AT 9!!!! NO MINOTT AT 20!!! NO MAX CHRISTIE AT 25!!! And don't draft a glut of guards!!! Please make that happen!

Good stuff. And yes, good point on not drafting a duplicate of a higher draft pick, so yes, previous picks will influence down board picks.

offset formation
06-23-2022, 10:58 AM
Note: just realized I left off Jovic above. Want him at 20.

rjv
06-23-2022, 11:00 AM
i just don't want any coal in my stocking.

Ariel
06-23-2022, 11:02 AM
Note: just realized I left off Jovic above. Want him at 20.
I think it's very likely Jovic will go to Minnesota @ 19 or Denver @ 21 (highest chances), given the international connections of Tim Connelly (formerly Denver, now with Minnesota).

exstatic
06-23-2022, 11:04 AM
Simple and sweet. Me likey.

Dean on Draft’s summation was even more succinct. He said that all of the guards and internationals suck, so if you avoid them, you should do OK.

RC_Drunkford
06-23-2022, 11:05 AM
Man just don‘t draft Dieng or anybody projected in the 20s at 9. I‘m fine with any of
Mathurin, Sochan, Davis, Duren

Trade J-Rich and some garbage for John Collins and this draft is already a success. I like Jalen Williams, Procida, EJ Lidell, Minott and a couple others with the late picks. Also would love to trade into the mid teens to get Tari Eason.

AFBlue
06-23-2022, 11:06 AM
Want the Spurs to leverage whatever assets are necessary, move up to #2 and pick Banchero.

Expect the Spurs to lose out on every trade opportunity, stay at #9 and pick another guard. I do think it's possible they trade up into the mid-first to get a second prospect; probably another guard.

offset formation
06-23-2022, 11:15 AM
Want the Spurs to leverage whatever assets are necessary, move up to #2 and pick Banchero.

Expect the Spurs to lose out on every trade opportunity, stay at #9 and pick another guard. I do think it's possible they trade up into the mid-first to get a second prospect; probably another guard.

Would love Banchero but just don't know if he's worth Keldon, Vassell, 9, and two firsts as OKC reportedly wants.

itzsoweezee
06-23-2022, 11:21 AM
I won’t pretend like I know anything about most of these players. What I’m hoping for — elite shooting and size. No more 6’5” and under guys that can’t shoot; no bigs that can’t play outside of the paint.

Dverde
06-23-2022, 11:24 AM
Spurs fan after the draft

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/14/c6/be/14c6be97a344744f91ad255e40dee6f2.jpg

Ariel
06-23-2022, 11:25 AM
I won’t pretend like I know anything about most of these players. What I’m hoping for — elite shooting and size. No more 6’5” and under guys that can’t shoot; no bigs that can’t play outside of the paint.
So a roster filled with Bonners & McDermotts will be fine. Awesome.

AFBlue
06-23-2022, 11:29 AM
Would love Banchero but just don't know if he's worth Keldon, Vassell, 9, and two firsts as OKC reportedly wants.

Neither Keldon nor Vassell have the upside to be the primary offensive option, like Banchero. He's not flawless, but he seems like the only guy you can build a franchise around in the draft.

The other guy that fits the mold is Ivey, but the position fit alongside Murray probably isn't there for the long term.

I'm fine with staying at 9 and drafting a good high-floor/high-ceiling player, but this just feels like a draft where not swinging for the guys at the top will have the Spurs right back in the same spot next year.

Dex
06-23-2022, 11:32 AM
Well, the good news is...something is bound to happen today.

Have no idea what it will look like, but...it will be something

itzsoweezee
06-23-2022, 11:33 AM
So a roster filled with Bonners & McDermotts will be fine. Awesome.

If shooting and size means Bonner and Mcdermot to you, then you’re probably haven’t watched much basketball since 2010.

Ariel
06-23-2022, 11:35 AM
If shooting and size means Bonner and Mcdermot to you, then you’re probably haven’t watched much basketball since 2010.
Don't project onto me your failure to translate your thoughts into words.

RC_Drunkford
06-23-2022, 11:41 AM
Spurs fan after the draft

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/14/c6/be/14c6be97a344744f91ad255e40dee6f2.jpg

:pop: „keep pounding the rock“

itzsoweezee
06-23-2022, 11:47 AM
Don't project onto me your failure to translate your thoughts into words.

Take your own advice. You made absurd conclusions because you’re unable to consider unstated premises (unstated because they are so obvious only a fool would need them). I guess it’s my fault for assuming the level of intelligence I’m dealing with on this board.

offset formation
06-23-2022, 11:52 AM
Take your own advice. You made absurd conclusions because you’re unable to consider unstated premises (unstated because they are so obvious only a fool would need them). I guess it’s my fault for assuming the level of intelligence I’m dealing with on this board.

Come now gents, it's too early to start demeaning each other. This thread will live on for years and the fools that want us to draft _______ will have plenty of time and cause to be mocked and debased.

Ignazzz
06-23-2022, 11:53 AM
#9 Dieng
#20 traded for lotto protected ( Jalen on clock)
#25 Procida
#38 traded for 2x2rd

reality

John B
06-23-2022, 11:53 AM
My Draft Night (Christmas Wish) List:

9 Davis - He’s a go-to scorer, ultra competitive, natural leader and will address the point-of-attack. Murray and Davis would be perfect compliment: Consolation price: Dyson Daniels, Jaylen Williams, Tyty Washington (but not at 9). Any of these guys, DJ and Dyson, DJ and Jaylen would be absolute terror on defense.

20 Tari Eason - Plug the PF defence and not to see Keldon at 4 ever again wish. Consolation, Liddell, LaRavia, Dieng, Minnot. Preferably Sochan at 13 if PATFO manage to trade up.

25 Jaylen Williams. Jovic can be my over the fence stash here if willing to stay intl. If not Procida, Kamagate at 38th

38 Procida, Kamagate, Koloko. I will even include my local boy Kai Sotto 7’3” with 3pt range, 19 yrs old mobile center. I think he will be open for stash if given the opportunity.

Possible:
Davis, Sochan, Jaylen Williams, Kamagate/Kai

I like Duren or Williams at 13-15 if they manage to trade Poeltl plus pick, hence:
Miracle:
Davis, Sochan, Duren

Let’s go!!!

Dverde
06-23-2022, 12:02 PM
I think #9 will be Johnny Davis or AJ Griffin. I haven’t picked one correct for 8 years so I am probably wrong.

timvp
06-23-2022, 12:04 PM
The Spurs drafting Lil Shine would be 10/10 entertainment value. :lol

offset formation
06-23-2022, 12:08 PM
No way that happens though. I mean right? Thought selflessness and character meant everything to Pop. And his lil shine comments are the antithesis of that unless it's merely an odd sense of humor that PATFO sees through??

John B
06-23-2022, 12:10 PM
No way that happens though. I mean right? Thought selflessness and character meant everything to Pop. And his lil shine comments are the antithesis of that unless it's merely an odd sense of humor that PATFO sees through??

He’s going to Portland. BUT it could be CIA Pop advising him so he lands to us, like Batum medical. Hey, will soon find out.

offset formation
06-23-2022, 12:15 PM
He’s going to Portland. BUT it could be CIA Pop advising him so he lands to us, like Batum medical. Hey, will soon find out.

I don't deny his talent. Kid probably has top 5 talent, but his probability, hell, likelihood of going off the rails in SA's system and in SA in general, seem an insurmountable risk to take at 9.

rascal
06-23-2022, 12:19 PM
9. Sharpe or Mathurin (both not likely to be there), Duren(then trade Poeltl) or Davis
Or try to package with a player or future picks to trade up to 4 for Ivey or trade up to 7 to get one of Mathurin, Murray or Sharpe there(all these guys have all star potential).

Don't want Dieng, Sochan (he's better than Dieng, he can end up being a future starter as his ceiling, he doesn't have the upside to be a star or even make the Spurs considerbly better than what they are now)

Spurs are close to being able to draft a difference maker player but still have to pull off a trade to move up a little.

20. Eason or Wesley or Jaylen Williams
Don't want Jovic or Kessler

25. Trade out for a future fist round pick with limited protections/ If not Procida or Hardy or Minott can be solid bench role players.

timvp
06-23-2022, 12:19 PM

Common sense tells me the Spurs won't draft Lil Shine. But supposedly the Spurs were wowed by his athleticism during his visit and spent a day with him. I don't know, man. Most likely not but there's a non-zero chance they do pick him, I think.

Mr. Body
06-23-2022, 12:20 PM

"Alright, Shaed, act like a complete goofball for the next some-odd weeks to make everyone think you're a stuck up kid who isn't ready to be a professional in any capacity, scaring everyone off. We'll take you. Looking forward to our discussions on philosophy and world events. Clear eyes, full heart, can't lose."

offset formation
06-23-2022, 12:24 PM
Common sense tells me the Spurs won't draft Lil Shine. But supposedly the Spurs were wowed by his athleticism during his visit and spent a day with him. I don't know, man. Most likely not but there's a non-zero chance they do pick him, I think.

Well if we do, you're right...entertainment value alone would be off the charts. Think we're likely to see a maybe not so slow-motion train wreck though.

And on the positive side, having a player with that nickname would make the draft pick worthwhile all by itself, for however long it lasted.

John B
06-23-2022, 12:31 PM
I don't deny his talent. Kid probably has top 5 talent, but his probability, hell, likelihood of going off the rails in SA's system and in SA in general, seem an insurmountable risk to take at 9.

Nobody is certain at draft night. Divac got fired drafting Bagley over Doncic. Curry didn’t want to go Golden State. Shaedon could be that next story just saying.

Hey I’m on Davis or Sochan at 9. Or both if they find a way. Plug their defenses on the current roster, I think Spurs win many of those close games.

dbestpro
06-23-2022, 12:31 PM
I think #9 will be Johnny Davis or AJ Griffin. I haven’t picked one correct for 8 years so I am probably wrong.

I think they will go with Davis and play him at PF.

John B
06-23-2022, 12:33 PM

They have 3 more picks to draft Eason, LaRavia, Liddell, Butler, Minnot

AFBlue
06-23-2022, 12:46 PM

Let's hope

poopbox
06-23-2022, 01:28 PM
My gut tells me Shaedon won't be there at 9 but if he is I could see the Spurs taking him. I think Wright hinted at this with taking BPA and not worrying about position. Him and Murray would either be dynamic together or getting into full blown fist fights in the huddle 20 games into the season :lol. Pop has always low key been a "oh you think I won't do it, watch this" type of coach as well.

Long as we get 1 or 2 of Sochan, Duren, Williams, I don't care. Just get a frontcourt player who isn't afraid to shoot a basketball or catch a pass in mid air and dunk it, and has the wingspan and athleticism to play the 4 and/or 5 the way it needs to be played in todays game.

KingKev
06-23-2022, 02:45 PM
If ppl are comfortable with Luka and Primo hail marys Sharpe at 9 isn’t a problem. Pop will draft him if he thinks he can change him plus when he gets banished to the G-League to get over himself while Primo averages 5pts, 3rebs, 3TO’s a game on 30% from deep we can all scream “Free Lil Shine”

offset formation
06-23-2022, 03:06 PM
If ppl are comfortable with Luka and Primo hail marys Sharpe at 9 isn’t a problem. Pop will draft him if he thinks he can change him plus when he gets banished to the G-League to get over himself while Primo averages 5pts, 3rebs, 3TO’s a game on 30% from deep we can all scream “Free Lil Shine”

lol. so true

timvp
06-23-2022, 03:18 PM

https://c.tenor.com/Sy_Fv1uNl_0AAAAM/try-not-to-laugh-straight-face.gif

RC_Drunkford
06-23-2022, 04:13 PM

I can't wait for Chinook's takes on why Johnny Davis' natural position is in fact PF

KingKev
06-23-2022, 05:19 PM
Anyone else feeling like Charlie Brown right about now?

exstatic
06-23-2022, 05:26 PM

No.

John B
06-23-2022, 05:59 PM

lol everybody in ST. You just don't know what Jekyll or Hyde the Spurs would pick :lol

Ariel
06-24-2022, 01:56 AM
these are my targets:
Of my targets at 9 and 20, we got all that were available... even we got one at 25 I had at 20! (Wesley). Incredible draft day. Makes up for the Primo blunder of last year in my book.

offset formation
06-24-2022, 01:58 AM
Of my targets at 9 and 20, we got all that were available... even we got one at 25 I had at 20! (Wesley). Incredible draft day. Makes up for the Primo blunder of last year in my book.

We needed a center at 25. That's my biggest complaint. The one position we didnt need more of was G.

Ariel
06-24-2022, 02:05 AM
We needed a center at 25. That's my biggest complaint. The one position we didnt need more of was G.
25 wasn't the problem, we passed on Kamagate at 38, and I think it wouldn't have been all that hard to trade up a bit and grab Koloko either (who went at 33 to Toronto). The FO clearly didn't think much of any of them.

John B
06-24-2022, 02:08 AM

It makes you think there’s more unfolding. Spurs are collecting high movable assets that could very well be part of a package.

offset formation
06-24-2022, 02:32 AM
It makes you think there’s more unfolding. Spurs are collecting high movable assets that could very well be part of a package.

Yes, I said this almost the millisecond pick 25 was announced. Its really the only thing that will make that pick make sense. If that occurs, perhaps Ill go back to being stoked about this draft instead of marginally disappointed by it. Still just truly baffled by 25 and 38 decisions. We needed a Center and another PF above another guard.

KingKev
06-24-2022, 03:56 AM

I’m very satisfied with this draft haul; playing with my Red Ryder BB Gun right now.

slick'81
06-24-2022, 04:03 AM
I’m very satisfied with this draft haul; playing with my Red Ryder BB Gun right now.

https://youtu.be/s4-wJ3zmlXQ

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-24-2022, 11:35 AM
28. Someone tall or who can shoot --- (got it on the 2 way)

Grades:

9. 2 out of 3 -- but defense is so elite makes up for some of shooting. if he can learn to shoot then watch out Corso
20. 6'5 playing the 2 or 3 ... not a midget but not super tall. score baby score
25. 6'4 playing the 2. not a midget, inconsistent but big potential on O and D. if he can lock-down that D and learn to shoot, then watch out Corso
Two-way. aigh aight we got a shooter. not bad

Final Grade: considering players available, Spurs get an A- on the draft

and that's the bottom line. because Allan Roe vs Wade said so.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-24-2022, 11:37 AM
38 not 28 duh

Seventyniner
06-24-2022, 12:26 PM
Grades:

9. 2 out of 3 -- but defense is so elite makes up for some of shooting. if he can learn to shoot then watch out Corso
20. 6'5 playing the 2 or 3 ... not a midget but not super tall. score baby score
25. 6'4 playing the 2. not a midget, inconsistent but big potential on O and D. if he can lock-down that D and learn to shoot, then watch out Corso
Two-way. aigh aight we got a shooter. not bad

Final Grade: considering players available, Spurs get an A- on the draft

and that's the bottom line. because Allan Roe vs Wade said so.

Sorry bro you've been overturned.

John B
06-24-2022, 12:37 PM
​
My Draft Night (Christmas Wish) List:

Possible:
Davis, Sochan, Jaylen Williams, Kamagate/Kai

I like Duren or Williams at 13-15 if they manage to trade Poeltl plus pick, hence:
Miracle:
Davis, Sochan, Duren

Let’s go!!!

I think Spurs could’ve gotten Davis 9, Liddell 38, Duren 20/25 trade, either Malaki/Blake and I would be ecstatic.

But Sochan was on my top list also. And I said IF Spurs only have 1 pick, I would use it on Sochan.

Happy camper here :bobo

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-24-2022, 01:56 PM
Sorry bro you've been overturned.

bruh, you namesmacking?

Seventyniner
06-24-2022, 03:04 PM
bruh, you namesmacking?

Eh, just trying to make a joke. In poor taste, perhaps.

BackHome
06-24-2022, 03:06 PM
I am still bummed we didn’t get Procida a 6’8 SF who has a great outside shooting but overall I am happy with the draft and the two guys we picked up for summer league

RC_Drunkford
06-24-2022, 03:59 PM
​

I think Spurs could’ve gotten Davis 9, Liddell 38, Duren 20/25 trade, either Malaki/Blake and I would be ecstatic.

But Sochan was on my top list also. And I said IF Spurs only have 1 pick, I would use it on Sochan.

Happy camper here :bobo

I think those guards we drafted could be on the same level as Johnny Davis or close to it in a couple of years

Mr. Body
06-24-2022, 04:08 PM
I think those guards we drafted could be on the same level as Johnny Davis or close to it in a couple of years

Yep. Wesley even has the same efficiency struggles as Davis already! And Branham has the same limited athleticism.

Really, I've said in some other thread... Ivey, Davis, Keegan Murray, all had big leaps from their freshman to sophomore years. It's not hard to imagine Branham and Wesley doing the same if they stuck around. They each came in without much attention and then really came on big as the season went on.

Hate to use the Primo rhetoric here, but the team drafted two guys who may have made similar leaps as three top 10 guys (two of them top 5) if they stayed another year.