PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Select G Malaki Branham with the 20th Pick in the 2022 NBA Draft

Pages : [1] 2 3

BatManu20
06-23-2022, 09:26 PM
LFG. One of my pet cats in this draft. One of the best one-on-one scoring prospects, as well as one of the best mid-range shooters available in this draft. Shot over 50% at Ohio State. Also a good 3-point shooter at 41% last season. Love the pick tbh. Great value at this point in the draft. Could be “the steal of the First Round” as Jay Bilas put it.

NqsmmATrPpk

dbestpro
06-23-2022, 09:34 PM
Steal of the draft.

benefactor
06-23-2022, 09:39 PM
Great value pick tbh

NickiRasgo
06-23-2022, 09:41 PM
Just saw his defense is concerning but how concerning? Like really bad or just don't expect him to be a defender but a decent one?

onechance87
06-23-2022, 09:43 PM
Just saw his defense is concerning but how concerning? Like really bad or just don't expect him to be a defender but a decent one?

gotta be better then lonnies

Kurik
06-23-2022, 09:44 PM

He has the tools just needs to put it together, young and needs to learn.

NickiRasgo
06-23-2022, 09:52 PM
Good to know! I'm tired getting players based from athleticism and length, I mean good to have but I'm more now on feel of the game. I mean Desmond Bane literally like have a T-Rex arms and not athletic but he's big for the Grizzlies. Gotta check on this dude.

Russ
06-23-2022, 09:56 PM
He could turn out to be the best of the Spurs many picks this year (and the others ain't bad).

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-23-2022, 10:20 PM
I'm very high on Branham, he's super crafty and he really improved a ton during the season. His last 15-20 games he was impressive.

Also, thinking we got him for the corpse of Thad Young.. Well done GM Wright.

slick'81
06-23-2022, 10:24 PM
Dont know anything about him but everyone here likes the pick. Trust the process

objective
06-23-2022, 10:26 PM
Numbers from a recent episode of Locked on Jazz:

95th% in pick and roll scoring
80+% in catch and shoot (Locke didn't specify, only said it was in the 80s)

RC_Drunkford
06-23-2022, 10:28 PM
He's basically the anti-Lonnie Walker tbh, he does all the things well that Walker doesn't. I also think him and Johnny Davis are not that far apart. Very hard worker as well

https://twitter.com/RealTomPetrini/status/1540161720798400512?s=20&t=IgF2mWQp8vexuaWv7ZXOHA

https://twitter.com/RealTomPetrini/status/1540158671291928577?s=20&t=IgF2mWQp8vexuaWv7ZXOHA

https://twitter.com/RealTomPetrini/status/1540167194432212994?s=20&t=IgF2mWQp8vexuaWv7ZXOHA

Mr. Body
06-23-2022, 10:46 PM
I'm very high on Branham, he's super crafty and he really improved a ton during the season. His last 15-20 games he was impressive.

Also, thinking we got him for the corpse of Thad Young.. Well done GM Wright.

Yeah seriously. People need to realize we used Thad Young to move up, what, 18 spots and get this guy? And Young was just throw-in for the DeRozan trade.

DesignatedT
06-23-2022, 10:51 PM
Love this pick.

CGD
06-23-2022, 11:05 PM
He's basically the anti-Lonnie Walker tbh, he does all the things well that Walker doesn't. I also think him and Johnny Davis are not that far apart. Very hard worker as well

https://twitter.com/RealTomPetrini/status/1540161720798400512?s=20&t=IgF2mWQp8vexuaWv7ZXOHA

https://twitter.com/RealTomPetrini/status/1540158671291928577?s=20&t=IgF2mWQp8vexuaWv7ZXOHA

https://twitter.com/RealTomPetrini/status/1540167194432212994?s=20&t=IgF2mWQp8vexuaWv7ZXOHA

Totally agree with this. Made the not getting Johnny at 9 thing go down easier for me tonight.

CGD
06-23-2022, 11:09 PM
Yeah seriously. People need to realize we used Thad Young to move up, what, 18 spots and get this guy? And Young was just throw-in for the DeRozan trade.

The George Hill pick keeps on giving :-)

dbestpro
06-23-2022, 11:16 PM
I would not be surprised if Branham becomes the best pick in the draft. He can shoot the lights out and is gonna be the go to guy when the game is on the line in a year or two. Just an awesome pick.

Mr. Body
06-23-2022, 11:18 PM
I'm fascinated by this pick. He could become deadly. I didn't think he'd be there at all and would have been fine with Wesley instead, who we got anyway.

ace3g
06-23-2022, 11:19 PM
https://twitter.com/spurs/status/1540187522390757378

BatManu20
06-23-2022, 11:26 PM
Fucking love this pick. So glad he slipped to us. I mentioned in the Draft thread last month that I was bummed we weren’t going to have a chance to get him cause I was sure he was gonna go in that 12-16 range. I love his game and it translates well to the next level. I expect him to impress in the Summer League.

BatManu20
06-23-2022, 11:30 PM
This was the game that made me really like him as a prospect. 35 pts & 6 boards on 70% shooting. Watched it live and was wondering why this kid wasn’t being talked about more in CBB. He started moving up boards shortly after this.

rvkjTlbM0aE

slick'81
06-24-2022, 02:33 AM
https://twitter.com/spurs/status/1540187522390757378

im just happy these guys want to be here and are ready to go. Hopefully this turns into a great draft and a major turning point for this franchise

offset formation
06-24-2022, 02:42 AM
Something is gonna have to give on PATFOs desires to have Primo run the point which timvp reported earlier. Makes no sense to have a kid like Dejounte, Tre, Lonnie, and Malachi and Wesley on the roster when all five are really best suited with ball handling duties before tou even get to Primo. Thats FIVE guys.

Somebody or two currently on the roster are getting traded. Simply too many cooks in the kitchen

kobyz
06-24-2022, 03:08 AM
The problems he has SF game in a SG body, no advance ball handling or moves

timvp
06-24-2022, 03:12 AM
Something is gonna have to give on PATFOs desires to have Primo run the point which timvp reported earlier. Makes no sense to have a kid like Dejounte, Tre, Lonnie, and Malachi and Wesley on the roster when all five are really best suited with ball handling duties before tou even get to Primo. Thats FIVE guys.

Somebody or two currently on the roster are getting traded. Simply too many cooks in the kitchen

Lonnie is gone. Branham and Wesley aren't point guards -- at least not anytime soon. Tre isn't established as a long-term cog. Murray is in trade rumors.

It's not really that clogged for Primo ... but he'll actually have to play well to earn minutes. I regard that as a good thing, tbh.

InRareForm
06-24-2022, 08:02 AM
From the athletic :"

" Weaknesses
Not a wild athlete in terms of quickness. Doesn’t completely lack twitch but will be a slightly below-average athlete by NBA standards. Skinny at 180 pounds and willing to play physically offensively, but I think he can get blown through physically at times on defense. The lower half is particularly a problem. He succeeded in the Big Ten playing against those enormous bigs who sit deep in drop coverage, but I worry a bit more about what he looks like against bigger, more switchable athletes in terms of getting that small amount of separation he needs to be effective.

Given those factors, how efficient can his play style be? Doesn’t take a ton of 3s, and when he does, they’re mostly open ones off the catch. Not a guy who generates 3s by moving off the ball, and his pull-up game is not terrific as it extends out from distance. On top of that, he doesn’t get to the line a ton. Largely plays physically on his attempts to get to his midrange jumper or on his drives to the rim as opposed to trying to go up through contact when attempting a shot at the basket. Actually fades away from contact on those shots and drew only three free-throw attempts per game. He gets displaced on his drives regularly. Tries to load up with two feet at times and gets knocked back. Really needs to get stronger through his lower half to be able to take more advantage of his play style.

He could also stand to improve as a ballhandler, though he’s not a terrible one. Does have a solid crossover that he can bust out. But it’s all about physicality for him. There isn’t a ton of change of pace on his drives. Often ends up driving very wide on his attempts because he doesn’t get people off balance to get from point A to point B. Not a live-dribble passing threat. I think he would benefit from controlling the ball better, and he’ll also need to read the back side of the defense more effectively to be a secondary ballhandling threat.

That lack of explosiveness is also a killer on the defensive end, but there are bigger problems. Ohio State seemed to not trust him late in games. Despite having a good frame and length, there is no disruptiveness to the way he defends. He doesn’t get his hands in there to make life more difficult. And because he doesn’t have a ton of lower body strength, it feels like drivers can kind of plow through him at times. Doesn’t get through screens well at all, and then doesn’t have the recovery speed to get back into the play. Feels like it’s a navigation issue more than anything. Gets clipped on them all the time. This is a significant problem given that he isn’t enormous.

On top of it, he’s not a great team defender. Thought his closeouts were bad. Often got caught between contesting the shot and being flat-footed. Missed rotations a bit too often. Ohio State was a drastically better defensive team when he was off the court. The Buckeyes gave up 104.4 points per 100 possessions when he was off the floor versus 109.9 when he was on it. Was often at the root of their breakdowns and was emblematic of how opposing offenses felt no level of worry that Ohio State was going to take them out of what they wanted to run. — Vecenie"

Mr. Body
06-24-2022, 08:15 AM
From the athletic :"

" Weaknesses
Not a wild athlete in terms of quickness. Doesn’t completely lack twitch but will be a slightly below-average athlete by NBA standards. Skinny at 180 pounds and willing to play physically offensively, but I think he can get blown through physically at times on defense. The lower half is particularly a problem. He succeeded in the Big Ten playing against those enormous bigs who sit deep in drop coverage, but I worry a bit more about what he looks like against bigger, more switchable athletes in terms of getting that small amount of separation he needs to be effective.

Given those factors, how efficient can his play style be? Doesn’t take a ton of 3s, and when he does, they’re mostly open ones off the catch. Not a guy who generates 3s by moving off the ball, and his pull-up game is not terrific as it extends out from distance. On top of that, he doesn’t get to the line a ton. Largely plays physically on his attempts to get to his midrange jumper or on his drives to the rim as opposed to trying to go up through contact when attempting a shot at the basket. Actually fades away from contact on those shots and drew only three free-throw attempts per game. He gets displaced on his drives regularly. Tries to load up with two feet at times and gets knocked back. Really needs to get stronger through his lower half to be able to take more advantage of his play style.

He could also stand to improve as a ballhandler, though he’s not a terrible one. Does have a solid crossover that he can bust out. But it’s all about physicality for him. There isn’t a ton of change of pace on his drives. Often ends up driving very wide on his attempts because he doesn’t get people off balance to get from point A to point B. Not a live-dribble passing threat. I think he would benefit from controlling the ball better, and he’ll also need to read the back side of the defense more effectively to be a secondary ballhandling threat.

That lack of explosiveness is also a killer on the defensive end, but there are bigger problems. Ohio State seemed to not trust him late in games. Despite having a good frame and length, there is no disruptiveness to the way he defends. He doesn’t get his hands in there to make life more difficult. And because he doesn’t have a ton of lower body strength, it feels like drivers can kind of plow through him at times. Doesn’t get through screens well at all, and then doesn’t have the recovery speed to get back into the play. Feels like it’s a navigation issue more than anything. Gets clipped on them all the time. This is a significant problem given that he isn’t enormous.

On top of it, he’s not a great team defender. Thought his closeouts were bad. Often got caught between contesting the shot and being flat-footed. Missed rotations a bit too often. Ohio State was a drastically better defensive team when he was off the court. The Buckeyes gave up 104.4 points per 100 possessions when he was off the floor versus 109.9 when he was on it. Was often at the root of their breakdowns and was emblematic of how opposing offenses felt no level of worry that Ohio State was going to take them out of what they wanted to run. — Vecenie"

Those feel fairly harsh for Branham. Those are concerns. He reminds me of Michael Redd, another OSU product. I don't see Branham blowing people away with athleticism, but like Redd, just hitting his spots and somehow getting shots off. Redd was an incredible shooter from deep. Branham only shot less than 3 from range, but I feel like he can definitely expand that number.

My feeling is he will never be better than neutral on defense, but not for lack of effort. And if he doesn't exactly turn into a lead scorer, he's going to be a strong weapon. Like those highlights in the Tournament game they lost against a strong Villanova team, he was keeping them in.

offset formation
06-24-2022, 08:44 AM
Lonnie is gone. Branham and Wesley aren't point guards -- at least not anytime soon. Tre isn't established as a long-term cog. Murray is in trade rumors.

It's not really that clogged for Primo ... but he'll actually have to play well to earn minutes. I regard that as a good thing, tbh.

No, but neither is Lonnie, who is a SF, but he's next to useless without running point. In watching tape last night on Wesley, he seems very much to be ball dependent. I suppose Branham could be a wing player if necessary but then youve got a bit of a glut there too with Vassell, Richardson, Langford, Johnson (at least where Johnson should play), plus any of these two way guys.

Again just seems we have an extra guard at minimum which PATFO will have to sort out. Passing on Jovic at 25 under that scenario was idiocy. And I don't think they do in a universe where they aren't burned by Samanich.

And if you do t like Jovic, there were other non-guards available at 25. So for all the talk about BPA, what you've really done is stifled playing time somewhere which ultimately limits player development and chemistry.

It's a perfect environment for growing malcontents.

BatManu20
06-24-2022, 03:58 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FWCI99uXgAIQLNc?format=jpg&name=large

BatManu20
06-24-2022, 04:34 PM
aBxVvBDnfoc

BatManu20
06-24-2022, 05:55 PM

BatManu20
06-24-2022, 05:55 PM

emanueldavidginobili
06-24-2022, 07:15 PM
Been watching his highlights since I didn't get to watch him at OSU but oddly enough he kind of moves and plays like KD imo. He also seems to find his spot no matter what.

BatManu20
06-25-2022, 02:29 AM

cutewizard
06-25-2022, 02:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTotnHeaDos&t=454s

cutewizard
06-25-2022, 02:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kTIEKCe9F8

BatManu20
06-25-2022, 11:52 AM

Rosewood
06-25-2022, 11:53 AM
This guy is gonna be good.

SpursBills
06-25-2022, 12:07 PM
Been watching his highlights since I didn't get to watch him at OSU but oddly enough he kind of moves and plays like KD imo. He also seems to find his spot no matter what.

He seems like a shorter Khris Middleton to me with his deliberateness and shot making

BacktoBasics
06-25-2022, 12:11 PM
I don't know this kid that well but it feels like his shot selection is going to be very similar to DDR. I suppose if he's not the vocal point its a non-issue.

drpill
06-25-2022, 12:20 PM
I don't know this kid that well but it feels like his shot selection is going to be very similar to DDR. I suppose if he's not the vocal point its a non-issue.

There might be some overlap, he seems very nice in the midrange, but he’s also a willing and accurate three point shooter. So ideally he ends up like Derozan+. Branham looks so smooth out there, a very mature offensive game for a 19 year old.

Mr. Body
06-25-2022, 12:35 PM
Some were mentioning Rip Hamilton. Their body types aren't similar but the way they get to their spots seem pretty similar. I feel like DeRozan does the midrange a little bit differently.

BatManu20
06-25-2022, 06:34 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FWIoRRtWYAIJUTV?format=jpg&name=large

BatManu20
06-25-2022, 06:35 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FWIoi6GXoAArNsG?format=jpg&name=large

Dejounte
06-25-2022, 10:20 PM
I didn’t really do a deep dive on Malaki pre-draft but I’m doing a little bit now

It is interesting how his shooting form is all in one motion. Just an observation. Not sure how common that is among players.

his game is easy to compare with Vassell. They both favor that mid range pull up. I think I trust Malaki more offensively because the one motion shooting form seems like it would lead to more consistent results, and it shows— he was efficient in college. Comparatively, Vassell has a slow motion release and he stops too quick to pull up. There’s more flow to Malaki’s offense, if that makes sense.

I’d peg Malaki’s shooting stroke as one of the best on the team. When the ball leaves his hands, it’s easy to know when it’s going in.

I haven’t looked at Malaki’s defense yet but I’m sure Vassell has him beat there. It’s Vassell’s calling card, after all.

All that to say that I don’t think Malaki will jump Vassell in the rotation or anything. Per usual, the Spurs operate using a pecking order. Malaki will have to earn his keep. Hearing stories of him being a gym rat makes me believe it won’t be long before he does climb the ranks.

Dejounte
06-25-2022, 10:28 PM
Another observation: Malaki has his “spots” and he gets to his spots. That’s not something I can say for a lot of young players. Most rooks are still figuring out their spots on the floor and where they can score. Seems like Malaki has that already figured out. It’s a mark of someone who spends time in the gym, IMO.

This guy is going to be a gifted scorer.

Degoat
06-25-2022, 10:28 PM
Not the most cutting edge comparison probably but he sorta reminds me of prime Leandro Barbosa. I think his ceiling is higher than barbosa tho

widowmaker
06-26-2022, 12:04 AM

I think he has the potential to be a derozen type midrange player with a 3 point shot.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-26-2022, 02:24 AM
I didn’t really do a deep dive on Malaki pre-draft but I’m doing a little bit now

It is interesting how his shooting form is all in one motion. Just an observation. Not sure how common that is among players.

his game is easy to compare with Vassell. They both favor that mid range pull up. I think I trust Malaki more offensively because the one motion shooting form seems like it would lead to more consistent results, and it shows— he was efficient in college. Comparatively, Vassell has a slow motion release and he stops too quick to pull up. There’s more flow to Malaki’s offense, if that makes sense.

I’d peg Malaki’s shooting stroke as one of the best on the team. When the ball leaves his hands, it’s easy to know when it’s going in.

I haven’t looked at Malaki’s defense yet but I’m sure Vassell has him beat there. It’s Vassell’s calling card, after all.

All that to say that I don’t think Malaki will jump Vassell in the rotation or anything. Per usual, the Spurs operate using a pecking order. Malaki will have to earn his keep. Hearing stories of him being a gym rat makes me believe it won’t be long before he does climb the ranks.

I hadn't paid much attention to him until around the mid point of the college season where it seemed he flipped a switch and suddenly became an incredible scorer - check his game by game splits - there is a notable point after which he becomes a super efficient 3 level scorer. Great spot up shooter, can create his own shot, can get to his spots despite not being supremely athletic, dude just knows how to play with maturity well beyond his years. He played very well in march madness as well, basically took over from EJ Liddell as the team's leader. The Khris Middleton comparison, while a bit wild, isn't without merit. Offensively that is.

Defensively, there's not much to be excited about. If he ends up as an average defender it'll be a success. He has some tools and he's definitely a quick learner, so let's hope.

T Park
06-26-2022, 07:06 AM
Shot form and game is Ricky Pierce esque in some ways.

exstatic
06-26-2022, 08:52 AM

You mean other than his elite 3 point shooting? Because, if he’s got DD’s elite midrange game, plus a really good3 ball,I’m all over that

Cabrito
06-26-2022, 09:46 AM
His build, mid range game, and finding his spots reminds me of Ro Blackman.

BacktoBasics
06-26-2022, 10:02 AM
You mean other than his elite 3 point shooting? Because, if he’s got DD’s elite midrange game, plus a really good3 ball,I’m all over that

Well like I said I don't know much about him. He has elite 3pt shooting?

Eaglenole2002
06-26-2022, 10:52 AM
Well like I said I don't know much about him. He has elite 3pt shooting?
He shot a great percentage (40%) on a low amount of attempts. It seems like he is a little gun shy to take them, preferring to work in the mid-range.

I think saying he’s elite in that area is speculation based on a small sample size.

rascal
06-26-2022, 10:59 AM
The Spurs team as a whole lacks athleticism and is well below the average of the league.

Branham fits with the overall team's lack of burst and athleticism but he should bring in some needed shooting.

ginobilized
06-26-2022, 11:16 AM
Branham really has a lot of upside. As mentioned before, his stroke is sweet and he gets to his spots very well for a 19 yr old.
I wonder if he spends most of the season in the G-league to get a feel for the schemes the Spurs run and to get his head in the game defensively. Branham seems like he will figure out the offensive side of the NBA game sooner than most.
He is a bucket-getter and we all know how much we need that. The new NBA leaves the midrange shot more open than 3s and the paint. Pop has always sought midrange shooters.
It will be interesting to see how free agency plays out this week and what that means for the 3 newbies from the draft.

Personality-wise he seems like a real winner. It can't be understated how important this can be for guys who are together under intense conditions.

This is the only Spurs draft EVER where they picked the player that I wanted at each spot. Y'all can blame me if it doesn't work out.

Mr. Body
06-26-2022, 12:33 PM
He shot a great percentage (40%) on a low amount of attempts. It seems like he is a little gun shy to take them, preferring to work in the mid-range.

I think saying he’s elite in that area is speculation based on a small sample size.

Yeah, it's hard to project. He looks like a superb spot up shooter, but it's not totally his game right now. He also doesn't seem to shoot from really deep. So it'll be a matter of strengthening him to improve range and see if he can get comfortable shooting threes off the bounce or in movement. His proclivity is getting into the midrange.

He also shoots threes somewhat low, so I wonder if Chip will want to raise his shot.

RC_Drunkford
06-26-2022, 12:39 PM

not really though because his 3s are pure. Most of them are swishes that don‘t even touch the rim

Eaglenole2002
06-26-2022, 02:54 PM
not really though because his 3s are pure. Most of them are swishes that don‘t even touch the rim

I think it was Raphael Barlowe’s podcast where he said he heard Branham turned down open looks from 3 in workouts to get to his spot in the midrange. It’s weird. Does he do that because he’s not that confident from 3 or he’s hyper confident from midrange? Makes you wonder if he doesn’t shoot that well from 3 in practice but looked better in games because of the sample size.

I think his small sample size combined with his FT shooting is plenty of reason for optimism, but there are some questions regarding it.

BatManu20
06-26-2022, 03:28 PM

BatManu20
06-26-2022, 03:30 PM

Silverheart80
06-26-2022, 03:45 PM
Hard to tell if he'll adjust to the NBA game and/or how long it will take, but if he happens to step up and hit big shots as a rookie, he's gonna become such a fan favorite. That personality is just different.

ace3g
06-26-2022, 03:47 PM
https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/1541158454248841217

ace3g
06-26-2022, 09:01 PM
https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/1541239656171421696

exstatic
06-26-2022, 09:26 PM

I might agree with you if he didn’t shoot 83% from the FT line. There’s a strong correlation between those types of shooting. It’s good that he’s a 3 level scorer, but he needs to shoot more 3s. The shape and form of his NBA career depends on it.

The Truth #6
06-27-2022, 12:42 AM
He looks promising. I don’t see any way Lonnie is brought back. Malaki, by mid season when he’s acclimated, could be playing a decent role. It’s crazy how this draft had so few scorers, and then perhaps the best one falls into our lap.

Mr. Body
06-27-2022, 01:28 AM
He looks promising. I don’t see any way Lonnie is brought back. Malaki, by mid season when he’s acclimated, could be playing a decent role. It’s crazy how this draft had so few scorers, and then perhaps the best one falls into our lap.

Basketball is more than scoring, of course, but looking at how Branham improved over the year in percentages...

For the entire year he shot:
.498 fg%
.530 2pt%
.416 3pt%

His year changed when he dropped 35 on Nebraska in his 11th game. Taking out the first 10 (out of 32) games, he shot:
.527 fg%
.566 2pt%
.432 3pt%

Somewhat arbitrarily taking only his last eleven games, just after the last game in which he only scored in single digits, and these include three tournament games (Big10 included):
.559 fg%
.627 2pt%
.382 3pt%
(He also shot .851 ft%, above his season average of .833.)

So only his three pointers dipped, but that included an 1/6 game from beyond. Dropping that game, he's again around .413 3pt%. OSU won only about half those games, but they weren't excellent this year and they were hard games.

You can say he needs work on defense and will hopefully be above average. You can say he may not be the most productive in rebounds or assists. But it's hard to dispute his efficiency.

cutewizard
06-27-2022, 01:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjWOVIRzIeA

Mr. Body
06-27-2022, 01:37 AM
Following... In his last three games, in which OSU lost kind of embarrassingly to Penn State, beat Loyola of Chicago, and lost to higher seeded Villanova:

.557 fg%
.666 2pt%
.273 3pt% (two o-fers, 0/2, 0/1, then 3/8)
1.00 ft% (4/4, 4/4, 0/0)

17.7 pts, 3.6 rbs, 3.3 assts

Points 16, 14, 23 in that losing effort against a strong Nova team.

So... I'd say his shooting from deep is a slight concern. He clearly is more comfortable inside the arc and this may be the reason why he dropped. But his shooting numbers from there are kind of absurd. I do believe in his ability to stretch his range. If he does, he could be vicious.

cutewizard
06-27-2022, 03:20 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v831ijE3M7A

cutewizard
06-27-2022, 03:22 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51DBXFKjiq8

duncan2k5
06-27-2022, 04:48 AM
I'm fascinated by this pick. He could become deadly. I didn't think he'd be there at all and would have been fine with Wesley instead, who we got anyway.

Just wait till Pop breaks his confidence

dbestpro
06-27-2022, 07:39 AM
When the competition elevated Branham averaged over 20ppg for the last ten games. Branham is the next Bradley Beal.

emanueldavidginobili
06-27-2022, 11:48 AM
God damn Branham has a consistent smooth looking shot. It just looks effortless for him.

Dejounte
07-03-2022, 07:38 PM
https://youtu.be/LTotnHeaDos

while Wesley is the most exciting rook for me, Branham looks to gain the most respect from other NBA players and hoop heads. The footwork is beautiful and we will probably see players 20 years from now try to model their game after him.

MI21
07-03-2022, 08:45 PM
From the 15 minutes of clips I've watched of him, his offensive game appears reminds me a little of a shorter Khris Middleton. It is such a shame he isn't 6'8.

Ice009
07-03-2022, 11:03 PM
From the 15 minutes of clips I've watched of him, his offensive game appears reminds me a little of a shorter Khris Middleton. It is such a shame he isn't 6'8.

Would the Spurs have gotten him if he was 6'8? He might have gone a lot earlier. I wonder if it's possible that he grows a bit more taller since all these guys are still very young?

Ariel
07-03-2022, 11:18 PM
A 6'8" Branham would have gone top 5

MI21
07-03-2022, 11:31 PM
Oh yes, understand that if he was 6'8 he would go higher - just saying I like his game but would like him even more if he was bigger wing size.

Ice009
07-03-2022, 11:39 PM
Oh yes, understand that if he was 6'8 he would go higher - just saying I like his game but would like him even more if he was bigger wing size.

Oh OK, yeah, very true. I agree with you there. Hopefully he can grow a bit taller, even if not 6'8, another inch or two wouldn't hurt.

bluebellmaniac
07-03-2022, 11:49 PM
Commence the growth serum treatments!

mystargtr34
07-04-2022, 01:10 AM
I heard the Spurs brass has had Branham hanging from the rim with weights attached to his ankles. As a result he's grown to 6 foot 13.

Dejounte
07-04-2022, 06:12 PM
https://twitter.com/chrisholtmann/status/1536802072657645569

Compare this to “imma give them a lil shine” from Shaedon Not-Very-Sharpe

PhantomDashCam
07-05-2022, 06:44 PM

Might of explained the fall to 20.

Some scouts have speculated that his previous shooting form may have had difficulty translating to the NBA 3 and beyond.
For a player to identify this and start to implement through the pre-draft process is almost unheard of for a shooter with the reputation of Branham.

Although this may have hurt him in the short term in re: draft stock, I expect that this will pay dividends long term becoming a deadly C&S threat early in his career, perhaps as soon as Summer League...

Mr. Body
07-05-2022, 06:51 PM
I do think questions about his range affected his stock. Maybe his defense. In time it may be hard to understand why teams between 11-19 passed on him.

As for his 3, he kind of pushes it out from in front of his face instead of setting it above his eye line and shooting it in a form other players would deem natural. He didn't shoot a high volume and as far as I saw always on the line itself.

It's hard to believe he won't be able to extend off the line and get the volume up higher. The question is how long it will take and whether his good percentages will be hurt.

John B
07-05-2022, 06:52 PM

Might of explained the fall to 20.

Some scouts have speculated that his previous shooting form may have had difficulty translating to the NBA 3 and beyond.
For a player to identify this and start to implement through the pre-draft process is almost unheard of for a shooter with the reputation of Branham.

Although this may have hurt him in the short term in re: draft stock, I expect that this will pay dividends long term becoming a deadly C&S threat early in his career, perhaps as soon as Summer League...

Good for us :toast

Dejounte
07-07-2022, 08:57 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ImpartialNeedyHoneycreeper-size_restricted.gif

in this clip and in a lot of footage ive seen of Branham, he uses the backboard a lot to bank shots. I loved it when Timmy did it, and I love it that Malaki does it. It’s a great display of skill, imo

Atl Spur
07-07-2022, 11:46 PM

in this clip and in a lot of footage ive seen of Branham, he uses the backboard a lot to bank shots. I loved it when Timmy did it, and I love it that Malaki does it. It’s a great display of skill, imo

Hard to block and gives the shooter more options….this kid will be nice. 22 and 14 should be a ok in a few years!

BatManu20
07-08-2022, 03:31 PM

ace3g
07-11-2022, 08:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG5ifYNUlao

Atl Spur
07-11-2022, 08:22 PM
I like the kid! He’s got something to him….. a real smooth game.

ace3g
07-11-2022, 10:57 PM
https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1546697850498830336

Spursfanfromafar
07-11-2022, 11:10 PM
Branham for some reason, reminds me of a younger Steve Smith..who was of course taller and much better defensively but had an offensive game that is similar to Malaki's

TD 21
07-11-2022, 11:28 PM
^ Beyond the obvious, I really hope this kid succeeds and I think he will too.

I liked him immediately because he's not reliant on athleticism (not that he has much), has decent feel and given that he looks respectable he doesn't appear to be some insecure follower like so many of these kids today. No silly hairstyle/facial hair, seems to not dress flamboyantly or excessively use hipster internet terms/slang.

If he ever becomes a player of significance, hopefully that's a sign that he won't be the type to run to a glamor market to join the cool kids.

John B
07-11-2022, 11:42 PM
He seems so nice, always smiling. I hope he easily switch to an assassin in the court. Wesley on the other hand is intense, always have that game face.

PuzzBeterson
07-12-2022, 06:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG5ifYNUlao

Unlike his sisters, Malaki clearly has his father's genes.

Ocotillo
07-12-2022, 07:33 AM
https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1546697850498830336

He mentions KBD and of course KBD is a former Ohio State player as well.

Dejounte
07-12-2022, 08:08 AM
^ Beyond the obvious, I really hope this kid succeeds and I think he will too.

I liked him immediately because he's not reliant on athleticism (not that he has much), has decent feel and given that he looks respectable he doesn't appear to be some insecure follower like so many of these kids today. No silly hairstyle/facial hair, seems to not dress flamboyantly or excessively use hipster internet terms/slang.

If he ever becomes a player of significance, hopefully that's a sign that he won't be the type to run to a glamor market to join the cool kids.

Malaki looks like he has a tight knit family and he was raised well.

Sochan, I think, does all the things you mentioned and is the most active out of the three on social media. But since he has foreign roots, has lived in other countries, etc. I think his background makes him unique enough not to seek glamor markets.

Wesley is the least active on social media. He’s a little awkward in interviews, gives me Kawhi vibes with his personality honestly. But I guess the difference is, I think he has two loving parents (meaning no traumatic experiences that we are aware of)

Dejounte
07-12-2022, 08:12 AM
*traumatic experiences that will result later in trust issues

RC_Drunkford
07-12-2022, 05:24 PM
Does he have an uncle?

ace3g
07-16-2022, 09:58 PM
https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/1548500138582126592

Mr. Body
07-16-2022, 10:08 PM
If the main team can get him set ups and activated on offense, he could be a weapon.

Defense may be another issue. He dies on screens and lateral movement and reactions are slow.

Atl Spur
07-16-2022, 11:24 PM
If the main team can get him set ups and activated on offense, he could be a weapon.

Defense may be another issue. He dies on screens and lateral movement and reactions are slow.

Coachable deficiencies. The kid has a pro game.

Russ
07-17-2022, 09:12 AM
The guy I haven't seen Branham compared to is Devin Booker. He looks like and plays more like Booker than most of the guys previously mentioned (I believe).

Just needs to get the three-pointer to that level and he could be the same guy.

Dejounte
07-17-2022, 09:16 AM
Indeed. Unless others have developed (Keldon, Vassell), Malaki is the team’s best option for late shot creation. Probably the best the Spurs have had since DeMar, and his touches don’t look like they need much dribbling to get his shot off.

ceperez
07-17-2022, 12:09 PM
Ridiculous soft touch!

Even if it hits the rim... it's still going in!!!!

John B
07-17-2022, 01:57 PM
https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/1548500138582126592

For a moment there I thought he’s a little passive in the beginning games. Somebody reminded me here that he was the same at Ohio, getting settled and finally taking off. He’s very methodical and polished and easily the best all-around scorer the Spurs have right now, at 19. It’s exciting how he develops into one of the best scorers in the league like a Beal, Booker.

ace3g
07-18-2022, 04:53 PM
CgKi3YNrkJy

scott
07-19-2022, 01:59 AM

Love that he hits that bank while fading to his left. Those off balance, controlled pull ups is something we've missed for awhile. Patty and Marco used to hit those.

mystargtr34
07-19-2022, 03:17 AM
CgKi3YNrkJy

Are those the old T-Macs he’s wearing? One Of the best shoes ever made. Bought a bright blue pair back in 2004 when I was 16 haha.

NickiRasgo
07-19-2022, 03:39 AM
Love that he hits that bank while fading to his left. Those off balance, controlled pull ups is something we've missed for awhile. Patty and Marco used to hit those.

In-game (sort of) @ 2:27:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v831ijE3M7A

Mnky
07-20-2022, 12:04 AM
Are those the old T-Macs he’s wearing? One Of the best shoes ever made. Bought a bright blue pair back in 2004 when I was 16 haha.

Those old Tmacs went hard man. I loved my pair.

mystargtr34
07-20-2022, 02:18 AM
Those old Tmacs went hard man. I loved my pair.

What colour did you have.

https://sneakernews.com/2021/01/25/adidas-t-mac-2-0-evo-all-star-fx4064-fx4065/

I had these blue ones. Always wanted the white pair too.

TD 21
07-20-2022, 09:58 AM

I had the white pair, which were incidentally the last white shoes I bought since I generally despise them.

Trill Clinton
07-20-2022, 10:02 AM

I had the white/blue pair...most uncomfortable basketball shoe EVER!

BatManu20
07-20-2022, 10:17 AM

Hell yea I had these in the white & blue color-way back in the day and they were so comfortable. Great basketball shoe minus the ankle support.

Random that Malaki is rocking a green pair though :lol

Mnky
07-20-2022, 10:35 AM

I had the matte black with blue. Used to love those shoes man. Young me was convinced they made ne faster and jump higher.

Atl Spur
07-20-2022, 10:43 AM
I had the matte black with blue. Used to love those shoes man. Young me was convinced they made ne faster and jump higher.

lol

Dejounte
08-30-2022, 05:18 AM
Ch0zKNoDodl

Our most offensively skilled player on the roster

This dude is going to be so smooth on the court. Fans are going to want to mimic his moves.

Maddog
08-30-2022, 06:30 AM
Ch0zKNoDodl

This dude is going to be so smooth on the court. Fans are going to want to mimic his moves.

In another thread someone mentioned they where looking forward to how the young players performed and mentioned Sochan and Wesley. Branham seems to have been forgotten about (I'm guilty too).
Sochan of course he's the highest pick in decades and Wesley with his speed grabs your attention.
He's got range and moves. If he can get his shot off against NBA players he might surprise.

exstatic
08-30-2022, 09:04 AM
The guy I haven't seen Branham compared to is Devin Booker. He looks like and plays more like Booker than most of the guys previously mentioned (I believe).

They shot almost identically in their respective 1 college seasons: Malaki .415 Book .411

exstatic
08-30-2022, 09:07 AM
In another thread someone mentioned they where looking forward to how the young players performed and mentioned Sochan and Wesley. Branham seems to have been forgotten about (I'm guilty too).
Sochan of course he's the highest pick in decades and Wesley with his speed grabs your attention.
He's got range and moves. If he can get his shot off against NBA players he might surprise.

I saw another thread where someone was excited to see Sochan and Malaki. Wesley has probably both the highest ceiling and lowest floor, which is why he was a late FRP, but he could wind up being the best of the bunch. I’m excited to watch all three.

Ariel
08-30-2022, 10:53 AM

Yes, there's quite a bit of Booker potential in him. If he extends his range and works on his defense, he's got a very long and productive NBA career ahead.

John B
08-30-2022, 11:06 AM
Malaki gives me the Steve Smith vibes smooth and can knock out shoot the ball. I was a little concerned when Blake was outshining him with the aggressiveness. But Malaki picked it up when Primo sat. And normally a SG suffers in those pickup game types where ball dominant players hog the ball. I expect Malaki to get more when plays are set for him for a C&S situation. And yet I expect him to be also aggressive in attacking the basket.

Ideally I prefer Devin in the SG especially with his length to disrupt the point-of-attack and Keldon at SF. Ultimately Malaki will fight Devin for that SG position as early as next year.

ginobilized
08-30-2022, 11:21 AM
Malaki's offensive game is so smooth, definitely a huge amount of potential.
His personality and character seem off the charts positive. I'd be pulling for him just on personality alone.
Those are areas Devin Booker seems to have a lot of room to grow.

ginobilized
08-30-2022, 11:22 AM
His personality and character seem off the charts positive. I'd be pulling for him just on personality alone.

rjv
08-30-2022, 11:40 AM

he really seems to be a very likable kid. in a season in which there will be a lot of growing pains i sure am looking forward to watching our young talent on full display.

ismael-robert
08-30-2022, 12:59 PM
I'm pretty sure my wife n I had dinner next to him. Went by himself to a French restaurant and ordered a burger...while wearing his spurs shorts

The Truth #6
08-30-2022, 02:11 PM
I'm pretty sure my wife n I had dinner next to him. Went by himself to a French restaurant and ordered a burger...while wearing his spurs shorts

Interesting…I have to ask, what restaurant?

ismael-robert
08-30-2022, 03:43 PM
Interesting…I have to ask, what restaurant?

Mon Chou Chou

The Truth #6
08-30-2022, 04:17 PM
Mon Chou Chou

The Pearl. Of course. Makes sense. Visiting teams often stay at Hotel Emma over there.

spurraider21
08-30-2022, 04:40 PM
instagram baller

TD 21
08-30-2022, 05:46 PM
Granted it's the lowest bar in the league, but Branham is probably already the best and most polished scorer on the team.

:tu

ace3g
09-05-2022, 04:42 PM
CiI9cQuOyTU

Dejounte
10-28-2022, 07:21 PM
Welp, no Primo ahead of this guy or Wesley so I’m at least excited that we’ll get to see one of these guys play NBA minutes earlier than expected.

RC_Drunkford
10-28-2022, 07:25 PM
I would've prefered to trade J-Rich so Branham can get minutes, but whatever. He needs to play. He'll have no problems getting buckets in the big league

tim_duncan_fan
10-28-2022, 07:26 PM
It's next man up

tim_duncan_fan
10-28-2022, 07:26 PM
Coincidentally, this guy is also only twelve years old

John B
12-26-2022, 11:53 PM
Malaki has been averaging 7.4 pts in 19 mpg L10, and exploded with 20pts tonight in 26 mins of play. He’s been aggressive in getting his shots and has been successful. I like it :bobo

Mr. Body
12-26-2022, 11:59 PM
He's going to wind up torching some teams, maybe even this year.

The Truth #6
12-27-2022, 12:10 AM
He scores in bunches. Seems effortless. The only thing holding him back is himself it seems like.

Degoat
12-27-2022, 12:14 AM
You can see that he’s able to understand how and where he can get his shots at. Still needs work, but he’s progressing

Dejounte
12-27-2022, 12:32 AM
It’s just like in college. He starts slow and gets going. When he gets going, he explodes. He was one of the best scorers at the latter half of his college season. Hope that’s what happens here.

heyheymymy
12-27-2022, 01:06 AM
been fun watching in real time and it looks like he's catching fire now

wildbill2u
12-27-2022, 01:39 AM
Looks like the lightbulb went off and he's realizing he has the skillset to play against veterans in this league. All of a sudden he is Not shy to take what shots he is given and what shots he can make for himself/

John B
12-27-2022, 05:48 AM
There were 2-3 possessions there he was letting them fly undeterred. It will be fun if he becomes the 3rd 18+pts guy.

TrainOfThought5
12-27-2022, 06:32 AM
If we have a reliable third scorer that can create for themself, this becomes a different team next year.

rjv
12-27-2022, 12:47 PM
he's also showing what he was advertised as when he was drafted-which is a three way scorer.

The Truth #6
12-27-2022, 12:57 PM
It’s just like in college. He starts slow and gets going. When he gets going, he explodes. He was one of the best scorers at the latter half of his college season. Hope that’s what happens here.

Exactly. In college all it took was one big game and a switch was flipped. Fingers crossed.

spurraider21
12-27-2022, 02:06 PM
can he fulfill the promise that was once referred to as James Anderson?

Mr. Body
12-27-2022, 02:46 PM
He was pegged at points in the draft process as a potential top 10. Tbh I think that potential still stands. I would have taken him over Agbaji or AJ Griffin, Terry, LaRavia, Eason.

exstatic
12-27-2022, 03:36 PM
I didn’t realize he’s a +6”. His barefoot height is 6’4” and his wingspan is 6’10”. That plus his nice agility/speed times speak to untapped defensive potential.

heyheymymy
12-27-2022, 04:02 PM
He was pegged at points in the draft process as a potential top 10. Tbh I think that potential still stands. I would have taken him over Agbaji or AJ Griffin, Terry, LaRavia, Eason.

Agreed and don't forget to add J. Davis imho. 10 picks ahead and not showing much yet but it's still very early I suppose

John B
12-27-2022, 04:10 PM
I didn’t realize he’s a +6”. His barefoot height is 6’4” and his wingspan is 6’10”. That plus his nice agility/speed times speak to untapped defensive potential.

He was advertised as being able to create through pnr and basic playmaking. I was pleasantly surprised how poised he is as a ballhandler. I think this will help carve him more minutes than just a c&s guy. And potentially a backup PG? The team has now as ballhandlers, Tre, Sochan, JRich, Malaki, Blake, and maybe Stanley if he‘s still with the team.

John B
12-28-2022, 09:28 AM
Again Branham was used as backup PG and looked like the part. He is poised and can facilitate for himself and others ny pnr, and able to knockdown shots. Missing the burst of Tre and Wesley, but for now it’s making Malaki aggressive with the ball in his hand. Thoughts?

Mr. Body
12-28-2022, 10:09 AM
Again Branham was used as backup PG and looked like the part. He is poised and can facilitate for himself and others ny pnr, and able to knockdown shots. Missing the burst of Tre and Wesley, but for now it’s making Malaki aggressive with the ball in his hand. Thoughts?

Yeah, and I like the shift away from Sochan running the offense so much. He needs time working out what to do on the wings and without the ball.

As for Branham, his superior skill set was shooting. Nice that he comes with very good handles already, too.

exstatic
12-28-2022, 10:27 AM
Yeah, and I like the shift away from Sochan running the offense so much. He needs time working out what to do on the wings and without the ball.

As for Branham, his superior skill set was shooting. Nice that he comes with very good handles already, too.

Bad take. The more time Sochan spends running the point, the better. If he can ACTUALLY become a PG, he’s infinitely more valuable than a PF who can facilitate a bit, and can’t shoot. He might be one of the top 2-3 picks in his draft in that case.

Mr. Body
12-28-2022, 11:17 AM
Bad take. The more time Sochan spends running the point, the better. If he can ACTUALLY become a PG, he’s infinitely more valuable than a PF who can facilitate a bit, and can’t shoot. He might be one of the top 2-3 picks in his draft in that case.

I'm not saying Sochan shouldn't run point. I said I liked shifting him away from doing it so much. He needs to learn other spots on the floor, too, where he's sort of dead weight. I like switching things up and having Branham do it at times.

KingKev
12-28-2022, 11:27 AM
Neither Branham or Sochan will ever be full time PGs

John B
12-28-2022, 11:41 AM

Party pooper :lol

I agree with Exstatic, Sochan is a different beast (likewise the whole team) as a PG or Point-Forward, and could really make him a top 3 pick of his batch.

Regarding Branham, he found a different swagger, confidence with the ball in his hand. He’s been playing well, callimg his number, etc. The team is just better with more ballhandlers in the team.

The Truth #6
12-28-2022, 12:06 PM
It looks like Pop takes turns with who is the backup point guard for each game. Sometimes it’s Jeremy, sometimes it’s Malaki, but no more Josh, we don’t need him learning to play point guard with so many other players who are learning. But if it was me, I would have Jeremy play 20 minutes at point guard every night. I think that is more crucial to his success than for Malaki to play point for him to be successful. Malaki just needs to ball hog it so to speak and if it gets too much then Pop can tell him to pull it back.

The Truth #6
12-28-2022, 12:14 PM
To clarify, when I say, be more of a ball hog, I don’t mean Malaki should be like DDR pounding the air out of the ball, more like be assertive when the ball swings around his way.

exstatic
12-28-2022, 01:07 PM

It’s funny, because Jeremy was showing some real PG skills, and then suddenly the ball is no longer in his hands.

Tanka tank tank.

Mr. Body
12-28-2022, 01:13 PM

Who said they would be? Lol

spurraider21
12-28-2022, 01:23 PM
giving both of them run at PG is only good because it forces them to enhance a lot of aspects of the game they otherwise wouldnt. even if they dont later become full time PG's, those skills are invaluable. draymond isnt a full time PG but he shows how valuable his ability to put the ball on the floor and make the right passes can be

heyheymymy
12-28-2022, 01:28 PM
Agreed spurraider21, ex, etc

Even if you don't intend to slot them as full time PGs, using a throw away season to let them hone handling, distribution, and court vision is going to add aspects to their game. Then you either have, in Sochan's case, a PF who can distribute a bit or a PF you can run as a PG in matchup exploit situations. Aim for the moon and even if you fall short you are still among the stars.

Just adding skillsets to the toolkit.

The Truth #6
12-28-2022, 01:49 PM
If Malaki scores 20 points in his next game, I wonder if he develops a mysterious injury that keeps him out for a game or two…

emanueldavidginobili
01-10-2023, 12:00 PM

John B
01-10-2023, 12:17 PM

Making him play PG with really helped him more aggressive out there with the ball in his hands, instead of just waiting for a catch and shoot. That’scwhy as much as Ibwant tobsee Blake back, I rather Branham continue pkaying the backup PG. I think Blake will always be aggressive no matter what when they eventually share the court. Plus right now Malaki has so much poise between the two.

Maybe he looks similar to Steve Smith? It wouldn’t be bad.

rjv
01-10-2023, 12:32 PM
Making him play PG with really helped him more aggressive out there with the ball in his hands, instead of just waiting for a catch and shoot. That’scwhy as much as Ibwant tobsee Blake back, I rather Branham continue pkaying the backup PG. I think Blake will always be aggressive no matter what when they eventually share the court. Plus right now Malaki has so much poise between the two.

not too bad a comparison, even if branham is a few inches shorter.

exstatic
01-10-2023, 12:47 PM

We’ll need Blake if Vassell is out for a month or more.

The Truth #6
01-10-2023, 01:18 PM
His moves are polished like a veteran, which is crazy. He just needs reps and some vets and coaches to push him to be more aggressive with his shot. Oddly, he needs to not be as aggressive in forcing passes. But it will come. He’s definitely a team player. His defense is bad and he gets exasperated a little too easily but doesn’t seem to use that emotion for his game. In Top Gun terms, he needs a little more Maverick and less Iceman? (A rare non-Gervin Iceman reference Ha.)

exstatic
01-10-2023, 05:28 PM
His moves are polished like a veteran, which is crazy. He just needs reps and some vets and coaches to push him to be more aggressive with his shot. Oddly, he needs to not be as aggressive in forcing passes. But it will come. He’s definitely a team player. His defense is bad and he gets exasperated a little too easily but doesn’t seem to use that emotion for his game. In Top Gun terms, he needs a little more Maverick and less Iceman? (A rare non-Gervin Iceman reference Ha.)

He has the tools to play defense. Like many youngsters, it’s never been demanded of him. He’s +6 on the long scale, barefoot 6’4”, wingspan of 6’10”, and his skill and agility numbers from the combine were good.

Cabrito
01-10-2023, 07:12 PM
He reminds me more of Ro Blackman.

John B
02-02-2023, 12:17 AM
Malaki with 22pts tonight! 9-13 shooting, 3-5 from 3, 5 assists in 32 mins outing. Keep it going kid. I seriously think Malaki will be Spurs starting PG by late next season.

Mr. Body
02-02-2023, 12:46 AM
He was attacking with purpose. And actually fighting on defense.

When he hits his shots are buttery. Crazy that his form is still flat and in front of his face. He still gets it off though.

spurraider21
02-02-2023, 12:58 AM
He has these glimpses of being a natural, almost effortless scorer and then has multiple consecutive games of being invisible in 20+ minutes on the floor. His 3pt stroke still looks a bit awkward imo.

but i think he has sixth man type potential. Don’t know if he’s a starter with his defense

exstatic
02-02-2023, 07:23 AM
He was advertised as being able to create through pnr and basic playmaking. I was pleasantly surprised how poised he is as a ballhandler. I think this will help carve him more minutes than just a c&s guy. And potentially a backup PG? The team has now as ballhandlers, Tre, Sochan, JRich, Malaki, Blake, and maybe Stanley if he‘s still with the team.

He’s good in the half court, but D’Aaron Fox was bothering him to the point that other players would bring the ball up, and then give it to Malaki to run the set.

exstatic
02-02-2023, 07:32 AM
Malaki with 22pts tonight! 9-13 shooting, 3-5 from 3, 5 assists in 32 mins outing. Keep it going kid. I seriously think Malaki will be Spurs starting PG by late next season.

Nah. As I stated in my previous post, he can be bothered and ripped just bringing the ball up. They finally had other players bring the ball over half court, then give it to Malaki. He’s got good vision, but his handle, especially against pressure, really needs work.

John B
02-02-2023, 07:35 AM
He’s good in the half court, but D’Aaron Fox was bothering him to the point that other players would bring the ball up, and then give it to Malaki to run the set.

I’m not worried. I still think he has better handles than DJ this time in their career. I’m sure Pop will be running more ball handling drills.

Dejounte
02-02-2023, 07:49 AM
The weirdest thing to latch onto is wanting Malaki to be a PG. I don’t know if it’s a lack of a future at that position right now for the Spurs or what. Let Malaki be Malaki and honestly he looks more comfortable as a scorer than a distributor. Not sure why anyone would want to lessen his impact by wanting him to play PG and constantly making proclamations about it.

The Truth #6
02-02-2023, 08:04 AM
I think it’s OK for the young players to get forced into different positions to force their growth a little bit.

KingKev
02-02-2023, 08:21 AM
Have to agree with Dejounte. Malaki is unlikely to become a true PG. No problem with him moonlighting at the poi t the same way Sochan has but his best skill set is as a pure scorer. I see Branham’s 2-3 year development as instant offense off the bench. Hopefully he can work on his defense as we have far too many poor defenders in our young pipeline.

Hell, I’m not even sure Wesley is really a point.

Dejounte
02-02-2023, 08:22 AM
I think it’s OK for the young players to get forced into different positions to force their growth a little bit.

Getting experimental with coaching players is cool. Just saying there’s a lot of things that a player that can do that are good, and to be fixated on one thing is unusual. Like Malaki, his ability to shoot stands out way more than his “PG” skills but John B here is going nuts about the latter.

DPG21920
02-02-2023, 09:01 AM
I need to see like 2 more years of Branham..not sure where I land on him. He’s so young and has tools but also a lot that has me skeptical. Which, duh, it’s a super young rookie drafted 20th so that should be the case.

He’s had enough moments to be excited but I just don’t know how I feel about him overall…but he has some games like this that really shine through

barakz21
02-02-2023, 09:19 AM
When he got drafted, for some reason I got reminded of James Anderson. I got worried thinking he might end up like him, but gotta say.. this early on, Bran’s already put this worries to rest.

Ariel
02-02-2023, 09:23 AM
Have to agree with Dejounte. Malaki is unlikely to become a true PG. No problem with him moonlighting at the poi t the same way Sochan has but his best skill set is as a pure scorer. I see Branham’s 2-3 year development as instant offense off the bench. Hopefully he can work on his defense as we have far too many poor defenders in our young pipeline.

The difference with Wesley vs Sochan and Branham is that the latter already have areas where they excel, and you don't want any progress they make elsewhere to come at the expense of their core competitive advantages. Wesley, on the other hand, at present time has plenty raw tools (explosiveness, length, competitiveness) but no NBA level skills. Because of that, the cost of opportunity is much lower with him, and that makes it much easier to mold him into whatever role they think he's better suited for (likely PG).

The Truth #6
02-02-2023, 09:36 AM
I suppose I’m coming at this from the idea that true point guards don’t really exist that much anymore, and if you’re gonna be a big-time scorer, you have to handle the ball and run the pick and roll and things like that. Of course, I agree that Malachi‘s best skill so far is instant offense but I suppose I would rather him get pushed towards at least someone who plays defense and if possible someone who also can run an offense in a pinch, and then see where that goes. I don’t want him to emulate Mcbuckets as far as somebody who just shoots and has no accountability on defense.

But is he really a true point guard? No.

John B
02-02-2023, 10:21 AM
I suppose I’m coming at this from the idea that true point guards don’t really exist that much anymore, and if you’re gonna be a big-time scorer, you have to handle the ball and run the pick and roll and things like that. Of course, I agree that Malachi‘s best skill so far is instant offense but I suppose I would rather him get pushed towards at least someone who plays defense and if possible someone who also can run an offense in a pinch, and then see where that goes. I don’t want him to emulate Mcbuckets as far as somebody who just shoots and has no accountability on defense.

But is he really a true point guard? No.

I agree with your assessment especially with Malaki not just becoming an instant offense type like McDermont. I notice Malaki thrives under pressure and with the ball in his hands, he is more engaged vs being passive waiting for the ball, and this opportunity could open his game more. In Pop’s ultimate Beautiful Game, there’s no real PG, but 5 players moving the ball, an initial play that would create a double-team, that starts the motion of finding the best open shot with a series of passes and cuts. That’s the challenge with Tre, as much as I like him. He does not command double team. Malaki does, specially when he becomes NBA strong, he can score at will, he has long range to pick and pop, bigger to backdown opponents which he’s done in College. Malaki has more game to get the other guys open simply. If Spurs landed Wemby forcing Sochan to play PG (still another discussion) or Scoot then go back to 6th man I guess :lol

BacktoBasics
02-02-2023, 10:32 AM
It’ll be interesting to see how he improves from here.

The main contributing factor with his game right now is that he’s a bit more comfortable and confident in the flow of the game.

K...
02-02-2023, 10:57 AM
When he got drafted, for some reason I got reminded of James Anderson. I got worried thinking he might end up like him, but gotta say.. this early on, Bran’s already put this worries to rest.

What do you mean “like James anderson“? Are you a foot fracture expert? You compared tape from that era and have a comment about two different shooters? Such a weird comparison

DPG21920
02-02-2023, 11:19 AM
Branham is like Kyle Anderson level athlete except none of the defensive ability lol. Luckily, he can score at all levels better than Kyle, but he’s not as prolific a ball handler/vision as Kyle and no where near the defense.

But his scoring is way ahead. Just have to hope the guard skills also come along.

Atl Spur
02-02-2023, 11:31 AM

Murray wasn’t either initially…. He’s gotten better over time though. It takes time to properly assess, no rush he’s only 19.

KingKev
02-02-2023, 11:39 AM
Murray wasn’t either initially…. He’s gotten better over time though. It takes time to properly assess, no rush he’s only 19.

Murray ran point at Washington. Wesley played the 2 at Notre Dame.

Cue the “Wesley will be okay” comment

rjv
02-02-2023, 12:04 PM
What do you mean “like James anderson“? Are you a foot fracture expert? You compared tape from that era and have a comment about two different shooters? Such a weird comparison

i don't know. similar height and body build. they're both black. i guess i can see it now.

dbestpro
02-02-2023, 12:19 PM
When I look at the box score, the only person I am looking at is this kid. I feel he is one of the few on the team that could become special one day, and I am always looking for that growth in his play.

spurraider21
02-02-2023, 12:57 PM
Branham is like Kyle Anderson level athlete except none of the defensive ability lol. Luckily, he can score at all levels better than Kyle, but he’s not as prolific a ball handler/vision as Kyle and no where near the defense.

But his scoring is way ahead. Just have to hope the guard skills also come along.
not just the ability, but anderson also had great length to bother players

Mr. Body
02-02-2023, 01:07 PM

Him and Anderson aren't even in the same profile on any level. Congrats on that one

barakz21
02-02-2023, 01:59 PM

Nothing to do with foot fracture. But I admittedly forgot THAT injury, only remembered that he got injured very early in his rookie season. Never was the same when he came back. What I meant was I guess they’re games translating to the NBA. Anderson was supposedly a good scorer/shooter and in college and did “okay”. Granted, he never really got the chance to show what he could do because of said injury. But he wasn’t playing that much. Bran’s played a lot more and barely did anything EARLY ON in the season.

DPG21920
02-02-2023, 04:08 PM
Him and Anderson aren't even in the same profile on any level. Congrats on that one

Their athleticism is what I was comparing - not their games. I was making the point Branham is not a great athlete - not that their games are similar. Thought that was obvious

DPG21920
02-02-2023, 04:09 PM
not just the ability, but anderson also had great length to bother players

Ya - was just talking athleticism. Not at all same players. Just highlighting my concern that Branham isn’t a great athlete and that he will need his offensive game to really be sharp to be a legit rotation player since he does not have the ball handling or length/defense that Kyle did to overcome that lack of burst.

spurraider21
02-02-2023, 04:57 PM
Ya - was just talking athleticism. Not at all same players. Just highlighting my concern that Branham isn’t a great athlete and that he will need his offensive game to really be sharp to be a legit rotation player since he does not have the ball handling or length/defense that Kyle did to overcome that lack of burst.
his ball handling is iffy but his passing is reasonably solid.

he's also still 19... ive had to learn patience from guys like Vassell that these players growth/development isnt necessarily linear. i lost patience pretty quickly with vassell in his first 2 years, but he really looked like a different player in year 3. think branham has room to become a 6th man type as a combo guard

DPG21920
02-02-2023, 04:58 PM
his ball handling is iffy but his passing is reasonably solid.

he's also still 19... ive had to learn patience from guys like Vassell that these players growth/development isnt necessarily linear. i lost patience pretty quickly with vassell in his first 2 years, but he really looked like a different player in year 3. think branham has room to become a 6th man type as a combo guard

Absolutely- that’s why I was saying I need to see 2 more years from Branham. I see the good, but I also see some big obstacles so just have to see how it works out. I’m not down on him or anything; he’s been solid enough for me to be happy with the pick for sure.

spurraider21
02-02-2023, 05:00 PM
Absolutely- that’s why I was saying I need to see 2 more years from Branham. I see the good, but I also see some big obstacles so just have to see how it works out. I’m not down on him or anything; he’s been solid enough for me to be happy with the pick for sure.
yeah im still fine with the pick. its always easy to look back in hindsight and say "man, walker kessler looks really good in that spot" especially with poodle on the block... but its not like branham hasnt shown us anything yet

wesley is kinda what we thought. a guy with great first step/burst who still basically needs to learn how to basketball :lol

Mr. Body
02-02-2023, 05:00 PM

Branham is deliberate with the ball, but he's not the same slow-ass deliberate as Kyle Anderson is, where his length and just unfurling his decisions seems to take time. Branham is quicker and tighter in a smaller space of operation. While he's not the fastest player - not as fast as Sochan or Wesley - he's not what I would call slow. What hasn't been seen, but you'll spot it from time to time, Branham has a serious verticality on the move, something Wesley doesn't have. There are times Branham tries to uncork a pretty thunderous dunk. He tried it last night but was fouled. I think we'll see it here or there.

DPG21920
02-02-2023, 05:03 PM
Branham is deliberate with the ball, but he's not the same slow-ass deliberate as Kyle Anderson is, where his length and just unfurling his decisions seems to take time. Branham is quicker and tighter in a smaller space of operation. While he's not the fastest player - not as fast as Sochan or Wesley - he's not what I would call slow. What hasn't been seen, but you'll spot it from time to time, Branham has a serious verticality on the move, something Wesley doesn't have. There are times Branham tries to uncork a pretty thunderous dunk. He tried it last night but was fouled. I think we'll see it here or there.

Just have to see. He’s got a solid 3 level game which is huge. Just have to see if it’s something that can be done consistently and what other areas of his game emerge if any. I’m not super high or low on him. Just wait and see while being pretty happy about what I’ve seen so far I’d say

DPG21920
02-02-2023, 05:03 PM
yeah im still fine with the pick. its always easy to look back in hindsight and say "man, walker kessler looks really good in that spot" especially with poodle on the block... but its not like branham hasnt shown us anything yet

wesley is kinda what we thought. a guy with great first step/burst who still basically needs to learn how to basketball :lol

For sure - want to see Blake get some more minutes soon hopefully - if Tre is out I’m guessing he will

Mr. Body
02-02-2023, 05:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1oXPv4_y9A

As an example, just at :31. He moves swiftly with the ball, changing directions smoothly and decisively to advantage, which is athletic, but then he can rise up pretty well.

There's a previous one at :18.

DPG21920
02-02-2023, 05:07 PM
ya - Kyle Anderson Athleticism was maybe a bit harsh lol.

spurraider21
02-02-2023, 05:20 PM
ya - Kyle Anderson Athleticism was maybe a bit harsh lol.
like it or not we're comparing him to lonnie

scott
02-02-2023, 06:22 PM
I get Lonnie vibes from Malaki, but without the highlight reel dunks. Flashes on offense, needs a lot of work on defense. Malaki still has lots of time to grow beyond what Lonnie did.

DPG21920
02-02-2023, 06:31 PM
Interesting is I looked up Branham on NbaDraftnet and his comp was: smaller Khris Middleton

rogcl1
02-03-2023, 02:20 AM

What ended up with Anderson was he had the foot injury and never was the same.

CGD
02-03-2023, 08:42 AM
Interesting is I looked up Branham on NbaDraftnet and his comp was: smaller Khris Middleton

Sign me up, though, Middleton height helps him hide some of his deficiencies

NickiRasgo
02-03-2023, 11:43 AM

That's mostly the comparison being mentioned from comments section in Facebook or YouTube prior or after the draft.

KingKev
02-03-2023, 11:57 AM
Feel like we are getting way ahead of ourselves with Branham.

The Truth #6
02-03-2023, 12:14 PM
I like Branham so far, I think. He’s hard to read because he has some advanced skills, but doesn’t always use them. He has some of the bad defense and hesitancy of Lonnie but more skills and isn’t afraid of contact, so I’m hopeful. Just not sure how good he’ll get. It all depends his mental approach.

rankingtear
02-03-2023, 12:30 PM
#22 = Caris Levert / Khris Middleton.

Mr. Body
02-03-2023, 12:49 PM
I don't have Lonnie Walker concerns about Branham. He seems to understand the game much better, not even same ball park. The question with Branham is if he can become a decent defender, or if a combination of laziness and slowness will do him in. I'm pleased to say he's putting effort in.

DPG21920
02-03-2023, 01:44 PM
Feel like we are getting way ahead of ourselves with Branham.

To be clear: I was not comparing him to Middleton. Was just looking to see what the comps were heading into draft. I am in “wait and see but overall happy with what he’s shown in spurts” camp

scott
02-03-2023, 01:54 PM
I don't have Lonnie Walker concerns about Branham. He seems to understand the game much better, not even same ball park. The question with Branham is if he can become a decent defender, or if a combination of laziness and slowness will do him in. I'm pleased to say he's putting effort in.

To clarify, I don't see the mental lapses with Bran like we did with Lonnie... but Bran's offensive flashes are giving me the same kinds of flashes we saw from time to time with Lonnie (Houston game comes to mind), except without the highlight dunks that Lonnie could throw down. Talking about this just makes me more bummed that Lonnie couldn't put it all together. He's a really fun player and an easy guy to root for. Too bad.

John B
02-03-2023, 11:02 PM
Branham with 26 pts, 11-16 shooting. The kid can score

slick'81
02-03-2023, 11:08 PM
The kids got something. He definitely hasnt been a disappointment

John B
02-03-2023, 11:11 PM
The kids got something. He definitely hasnt been a disappointment

He’s like this in College, started slow then started playing. He thrives as one of the main goto guy

stephen jackson
02-03-2023, 11:34 PM
He’s a old school scorer man, reminds me a lil of Michael redd

Mr. Body
02-03-2023, 11:38 PM
He’s a old school scorer man, reminds me a lil of Michael redd

I've been saying Michael Redd for a while. Both OSU guys. Him and Rip Hamilton.

offset formation
02-04-2023, 12:05 AM

Sometimes those comps are really silly but I can see a decent comparison in their games actually

John B
02-04-2023, 08:00 AM
B-but he’s not a real PG. Who cares? The team got 32 assists. Who needs a real PG, they’re sharing. And oh Branham got a new career high 26 pts.

heyheymymy
02-04-2023, 09:00 AM
man 26 pts that is incredible!

Now Branham is the fascination to tune in for on these games

heyheymymy
02-04-2023, 09:00 AM
Branham has bested is career high in points twice just this week alone

The Truth #6
02-04-2023, 10:38 AM
With Tre and Jeremy out, this is his golden opportunity. So far so good.

J_Paco
02-04-2023, 12:52 PM
I'm happy to see he's gotten over his early season struggles and has found a groove. Sometimes it takes guards with more "skill" than athleticism time to adjust to the better athletes in the NBA.

If Wesley can find his groove (and confidence) too, then this is easily the Spurs best draft class in years, IMO.

John B
02-04-2023, 01:58 PM
I'm happy to see he's gotten over his early season struggles and has found a groove. Sometimes it takes guards with more "skill" than athleticism time to adjust to the better athletes in the NBA.

If Wesley can find his groove (and confidence) too, then this is easily the Spurs best draft class in years, IMO.

One by one they are starting to shine. Each one getting the chance as if by design. The lost of a PG threw Sochan in the fire and he slowly got his groove especially when he switched to a one-hand FT which unlocked his offensive skills and increased his confidence. Likewise, the injury in Tre again found Malaki starting and expected to be a goto guy next to Keldon. He answered with a consecutive 22 pts, 26 pts career highs. Likewise Blake promoted into backup PG getting more minutes and at times showing glimpses of his NBA skills and athleticism, something to be excited about. No expectations to win, but learning every game, developing without the pressure of winning vs being a rookie in the championship years. Pop and his coaching staff should really be commended for developing these kids, truly excellent job teaching.

Atl Spur
02-07-2023, 09:16 AM
B-but he’s not a real PG. Who cares? The team got 32 assists. Who needs a real PG, they’re sharing. And oh Branham got a new career high 26 pts.

Those out there getting caught up on position titles don’t know basketball…… position less is a term for a reason:) Remember, this is just year 1 for Branham…… hasn’t scratched the surface comes to mind. Exciting times

heyheymymy
02-07-2023, 09:20 AM
I'm getting on this hype train

Bran is going to be real solid and can't wait to watch him develop

BatManu20
02-07-2023, 12:24 PM
NI4BVcFaqBo

yj_Zt7IB4bw

lefty20
02-19-2023, 04:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1jMlwU_DFs

wildbill2u
02-27-2023, 03:13 PM
Need to bring a Branham thread forward since he is being mentioned a lot of times in other threads. Some folks seem to be absolutely enthralled by his recent improved performances in scoring totals--but of course part of that is because he is getting a lot of minutes because of injuries and therefore has more opportunities. Nevertheless, it can't be denied that he is showing that he can score.

Branham doesn't have a very good average on his 3pt. shot (.315) but Jones is significantly worse and hasn't improved much since coming into the league. One problem with Branham's shooting is that he has a very unorthodox release, especially when shooting at distance. He tries to release the shot from approximately his lap area. Never seen this before except in players who use it to get additional strength and distance on a longer shot. Pee Wee league stuff. And he is getting those 3 pt shots blocked at that level at an unusual rate in the NBA.

That being said, he's doing OK as the PG substitution for Jones in regard to handling ball while bringing up court. He isn't as good as Jones on defense although he is several inches taller. Surprisingly, Jones is a better rebounder so far.

Granted he is a rookie and needs more developmental work, I don't think he is a special draft pick at this point. In fact, I'd suggest that in comparison to another recent rookie, Josh Primo, Primo actually might have showed more readiness for the NBA at the same stage of his game.

I don't think he was a bad pick, but let's not get over our skis yet.

exstatic
02-27-2023, 04:49 PM
Need to bring a Branham thread forward since he is being mentioned a lot of times in other threads. Some folks seem to be absolutely enthralled by his recent improved performances in scoring totals--but of course part of that is because he is getting a lot of minutes because of injuries and therefore has more opportunities. Nevertheless, it can't be denied that he is showing that he can score.

Branham doesn't have a very good average on his 3pt. shot (.315) but Jones is significantly worse and hasn't improved much since coming into the league. One problem with Branham's shooting is that he has a very unorthodox release, especially when shooting at distance. He tries to release the shot from approximately his lap area. Never seen this before except in players who use it to get additional strength and distance on a longer shot. Pee Wee league stuff. And he is getting those 3 pt shots blocked at that level at an unusual rate in the NBA.

That being said, he's doing OK as the PG substitution for Jones in regard to handling ball while bringing up court. He isn't as good as Jones on defense although he is several inches taller. Surprisingly, Jones is a better rebounder so far.

Granted he is a rookie and needs more developmental work, I don't think he is a special draft pick at this point. In fact, I'd suggest that in comparison to another recent rookie, Josh Primo, Primo actually might have showed more readiness for the NBA at the same stage of his game.

He’s showing an awful lot for a rookie. I’m not worried about his 3 point shooting yet. Devin, who was also a 40+% shooter in the NCAA, didn’t hit 40% until this year, his 3rd. As recently as December, Malaki was shooting 18%. The fact that he’s now shooting 31% shows that he’s been railing it. He’s a bucket already, most nights.

Dejounte
02-27-2023, 05:04 PM
More players need to keep bringing back the mid range game. That’s what I love about Malaki. Basketball is most fun in the mid range.

spurraider21
02-27-2023, 05:05 PM
im more worried about his release than the shooting % at this point

John B
02-27-2023, 05:29 PM
He’l be fine. He has a cunning way of scoring. I’m sure he will adjust come the off-season. The kid is 19. He’s still adjusting

rankingtear
02-27-2023, 05:31 PM

Yeah he needs to watch some Haliburton tape on how to self create when you have an unorthodox set shot from three.

XDT76
02-27-2023, 09:29 PM

Not sure what do you mean by Primo showed more readiness, in his second year he averaged about 19.5mins and his FG% 3FG% AST, AST/TO and scoring are worse off than a rookie playing are 22.5mins. he might not be a great pick, but he is definitely better than a few picks we drafted in the last 5 years at 12, 18 and 19.

KingKev
03-02-2023, 06:56 PM
Walker Kessler ROTM

CGD
03-02-2023, 07:14 PM

I agree with this. His shot reminds my of Leandro Barbosa’s shot from back in the day. It’s really low and out, and I’m surprised he doesn’t get blocked more. That said, what do i know, he’s scoring a lot.

scott
03-02-2023, 07:39 PM
Walker Kessler ROTM

Being on a team that went 1-10 probably didn't help Bran

dbestpro
03-02-2023, 07:42 PM
The kid is going to be a star on the next Spurs team that is in the playoffs

stephen jackson
04-05-2023, 02:16 PM
Idk why no one talks about he’s had fifteen plus in like five straight this man is a star and not a peep

John B
04-05-2023, 02:41 PM
Branham has that “cool cat”, not afraid of the moment, attitude. I don’t know who reminds me of the younger players.