PDA

View Full Version : 2022 Draft A Success!!!!

SAGirl
06-23-2022, 10:41 PM
I know each player has their own worship thread, and the draft has like two separate threads, but I want it to let it be known that I think most fans have been happy with this draft... and I want to dispel the notion that we always complain about everything.

My boy Duren was traded for and went elsewhere... but Sochan fills such a huge need for the Spurs for several years now, that I can't but call that pick the biggest success.

I like both SG they chose, and overall glad they didn't try to outsmart themselves or anything.

There were a lot of trades in this draft it has to be said, Spurs weren't on the action except for pick 38 which ironically I liked who they picked there for depth, but they have enough guards and Primo the PG will take some minutes when required for depth

SAGirl
06-23-2022, 10:43 PM
the website is uber catastrophic mode, so this is going on with all sorts of grammar errors... have a good enjoyable night all

:flag:

Kurik
06-23-2022, 10:45 PM
Very happy, team is more talented and athletic now. 3 19 year olds drafted (never thought I’d say that) along with Primo.

CGD
06-23-2022, 10:50 PM
I agree, a solid draft. Would have liked Davis at 9, but Sochan makes sense too.

On to free agency…

GAustex
06-23-2022, 10:56 PM
Taller dudes at least one more who is also useful would have been preferred assuming no trade or free agent

slick'81
06-23-2022, 10:58 PM
An influx of young talent cant hurt,tbh

SAGirl
06-23-2022, 11:00 PM
I practically expect Sochan to get minutes early on... I dont expect Gleague for him? Is that realistic?

The other thing is that it feels kind of anticlimactic now that it's over... but it's bc there was so much anticipation of trades before hand. I think that is kind of weird but I never expect Spurs trade, but this time it was different and I did expect them to be active.

Bc of their super tough standards though it wasn't surprising they didn't get anything done with regards to the 4th pick or DJ. I think some fans can actually feel a little disappointed there... that's actually kind of the letdown of finding out about trades that didn't go down.

DPG21920
06-23-2022, 11:00 PM
Agreed! Worst case, SA had a terrible end of bench team and that got upgraded with youth and upside with absolutely no drop off.

But SA is still firmly in the middle which is bad. They need to make some moves and firm things up big time.

Dverde
06-23-2022, 11:02 PM
Looks like they’ll be parting ways with Lonnie which is welcome in my eyes.

SAGirl
06-23-2022, 11:02 PM
An influx of young talent cant hurt,tbh
I do feel like this is a long process of getting out the cellar... but its going to get done through internal development or not at all.

Spurs drafting Sochan should help strengthen the defense for the the small mobile lineups they want to run. Looking forward to watching him most of all.

Dverde
06-23-2022, 11:04 PM
I practically expect Sochan to get minutes early on... I dont expect Gleague for him? Is that realistic?

The other thing is that it feels kind of anticlimactic now that it's over... but it's bc there was so much anticipation of trades before hand. I think that is kind of weird but I never expect Spurs trade, but this time it was different and I did expect them to be active.

Bc of their super tough standards though it wasn't surprising they didn't get anything done with regards to the 4th pick or DJ. I think some fans can actually feel a little disappointed there... that's actually kind of the letdown of finding out about trades that didn't go down.

They’ll all be in the G League to start the season. It’s a test to see if they are over themselves.

Chinook
06-23-2022, 11:08 PM
As I just typed, I don't think the Spurs picked any bad players. They didn't move any future capital or lose any rotation players, and I think they got three guys they were happy with. I do think they were active on the phone lines during all three of their first-rounders and failed to get anything done. We will never know if they turned down real value or not. I hated selling 38. I have a feeling it'll be something I bring up years from now depending on how the seasons go. I wish the Spurs had gone with at least one more guy over 6-6. But they got one of the best defensive players and one of the best offensive players with their first two picks and apparently an underrated two-way guard with their third. A decent center would have been a hit for me.

Oh well, at least they didn't pick some of the guys they were rumored to. ST is pretty chill, which is abnormal.

SAGirl
06-23-2022, 11:11 PM
Agreed! Worst case, SA had a terrible end of bench team and that got upgraded with youth and upside with absolutely no drop off.

But SA is still firmly in the middle which is bad. They need to make some moves and firm things up big time.

I hear you and I think the letdown real, but it's not draft based.

Rather, the Murray situation is still on my mind. It's now an issue for me. It may seem to others like I want him traded, but it's the opposite. I'd like the Spurs to be competitive but as excited as I am about the draft, I don't know how much difference these guys will make in terms of wins. Its unrealistic to expect rookies to contribute to wins right away unless we are talking about rookie of the year candidates? Sochan possibly will contribute right away is my hope, but have to stay grounded with expectations.

I am pessimistic on the Spurs making win now moves to improve the veterans around Murray and that leaves me conflicted. It's weird, but it's got nothing to do with the draft.

Mr. Body
06-23-2022, 11:12 PM
1. Sochan was a great pick. He is a massive defense boost and has upside everywhere else. I think he's going to be a favorite pretty quickly. He was also the obvious pick. Dieng wouldn't have been devastating, but didn't make sense. Sochan is gonna not only be great on the floor, he'll boost the team culture.

2. The two SGs are utterly fascinating to me. I'd love to know whether the FO expected anything remotely like this to happen. Branham should have been gone before this pick, maybe even a good bit before. I wouldn't have been bothered by Wesley at 20. That the Spurs selected both is really, really provocative. They're very different players. I do need to dig into them more, but Wesley is more of a slasher, Branham more of a deep-range, mid-range guy. Both have defensive issues (I believe). What's truly excellent is how much they can leap in the next year or two. After promising freshmen seasons, it's not hard to believe they could have each made a big leap had they stuck around. Whlie other teams were going for extreme projects, the Spurs sort of took guys that might be like Keegan Murray and Jaden Ivey -- who each truly matured in their sophomore seasons. Basically, the team did what they did with Primo last year, but with later picks and they were already showing promise.

3. I hope both Wesley and Branham get their own space to develop and don't cannibalize each other's development. But, again, they are different players.

4. My two 'needs' coming into the draft was defensive size and go-to scorers. We got the first one. And then two swings at potential scorers. They certainly are not ready yet, but these are two very healthy and actually low-risk swings of the bat.

SAGirl
06-23-2022, 11:21 PM
As I just typed, I don't think the Spurs picked any bad players. They didn't move any future capital or lose any rotation players, and I think they got three guys they were happy with. I do think they were active on the phone lines during all three of their first-rounders and failed to get anything done. We will never know if they turned down real value or not. I hated selling 38. I have a feeling it'll be something I bring up years from now depending on how the seasons go. I wish the Spurs had gone with at least one more guy over 6-6. But they got one of the best defensive players and one of the best offensive players with their first two picks and apparently an underrated two-way guard with their third. A decent center would have been a hit for me.

Oh well, at least they didn't pick some of the guys they were rumored to. ST is pretty chill, which is abnormal.
Thanks for your input Chinook.
I do appreciate different opinions to mine bc sometimes I am really uncertain.

I also didn't like them selling 38... I actually liked the guard they got there and was like wooo! a third string PG... they actually need it bc I don't know how realistic this Primo the PG is... we'll see, but what if it doesn't work out? anyways... it wasn't anything draft braking but could be regrettable...

They didn't get my pet cat, which originally disappointed me. I am bullish on Duren... but Sochan is probably realistically so much closer to what they need, and he's a good player too.

Overall, I am pleased.

Still concerned they are overplaying their hand on trades, and so many different trades went down in this particular draft... but that's kind of a separate issue.

SAGirl
06-23-2022, 11:25 PM
Thanks for input Mr. Body. Trying not to quote guys due to the lag....

DPG21920
06-23-2022, 11:29 PM
I hear you and I think the letdown real, but it's not draft based.

Rather, the Murray situation is still on my mind. It's now an issue for me. It may seem to others like I want him traded, but it's the opposite. I'd like the Spurs to be competitive but as excited as I am about the draft, I don't know how much difference these guys will make in terms of wins. Its unrealistic to expect rookies to contribute to wins right away unless we are talking about rookie of the year candidates? Sochan possibly will contribute right away is my hope, but have to stay grounded with expectations.

I am pessimistic on the Spurs making win now moves to improve the veterans around Murray and that leaves me conflicted. It's weird, but it's got nothing to do with the draft.

For sure. It’s clear now having seen not even a top 4 pick was traded for a win now all star type that SA could not have done anything like that. Yes, they could have traded Murray for a top 4 pick maybe but not clear since Kings took freaking Keegan instead of getting a “win now” player.

But, while I am happy with the draft and the value overall, free agency/trades need to bring more vision. Cant stay in middle out of fear - makes no sense and they need to choose soon. If you cant land free agents or trades to make this a playoff team, then go the other way.

No middle.

SAGirl
06-23-2022, 11:43 PM
For sure. It’s clear now having seen not even a top 4 pick was traded for a win now all star type that SA could not have done anything like that. Yes, they could have traded Murray for a top 4 pick maybe but not clear since Kings took freaking Keegan instead of getting a “win now” player.

But, while I am happy with the draft and the value overall, free agency/trades need to bring more vision. Cant stay in middle out of fear - makes no sense and they need to choose soon. If you cant land free agents or trades to make this a playoff team, then go the other way.

No middle.

Absolutely.

This is kind of now a segue into FA... but honestly, I'd really like them to go after Ayton. I really want a costar for Murray. I think if you aren't trading him, standing pat isn't just going to fly. It's a real issue for me to not make any move for a significant contributor, and I don't mean McDermott types. I mean a difference maker. To me, Ayton is the only one out there worth pursuing. He would be great with Murray. If they go after him, my Spur fandom mood would improve, but if they don't, then they need to trade Murray. I really am conflicted about keeping Murray in a team that is not making moves for any veteran difference makers.

Will try to move this topic to some kind of FA thread.

poopbox
06-23-2022, 11:48 PM
Ecstatic to get Sochan cause he solves two major problems for us...he is a legit power forward and he should STOP us from playing two guards, Keldon and McDermott, out of position. They both can now play their more natural position, which is the 3.

Disappointed we couldn't find a way to use our other two picks and either mcdermott or richardson to get Duren or Williams, which would have solved our center problem, and opened the door to trade Poeltl before he becomes a 16 million dollar problem. Not mad at the two guards though, especially since Lonnie is all but out the door and while I would like to keep Richardson, I think if a team offers something decent for him we will trade him.

AFBlue
06-24-2022, 12:07 AM
Was awesome to hear Bilas on the SVP Sportscenter talk about both Sochan and Branham. Wesley as a high upside pick is just icing on the cake.

jjspur
06-24-2022, 12:11 AM
1. Sochan was a great pick. He is a massive defense boost and has upside everywhere else. I think he's going to be a favorite pretty quickly. He was also the obvious pick. Dieng wouldn't have been devastating, but didn't make sense. Sochan is gonna not only be great on the floor, he'll boost the team culture.

2. The two SGs are utterly fascinating to me. I'd love to know whether the FO expected anything remotely like this to happen. Branham should have been gone before this pick, maybe even a good bit before. I wouldn't have been bothered by Wesley at 20. That the Spurs selected both is really, really provocative. They're very different players. I do need to dig into them more, but Wesley is more of a slasher, Branham more of a deep-range, mid-range guy. Both have defensive issues (I believe). What's truly excellent is how much they can leap in the next year or two. After promising freshmen seasons, it's not hard to believe they could have each made a big leap had they stuck around. Whlie other teams were going for extreme projects, the Spurs sort of took guys that might be like Keegan Murray and Jaden Ivey -- who each truly matured in their sophomore seasons. Basically, the team did what they did with Primo last year, but with later picks and they were already showing promise.

3. I hope both Wesley and Branham get their own space to develop and don't cannibalize each other's development. But, again, they are different players.

4. My two 'needs' coming into the draft was defensive size and go-to scorers. We got the first one. And then two swings at potential scorers. They certainly are not ready yet, but these are two very healthy and actually low-risk swings of the bat.

No out of the park home runs, but 3 very solid picks. Sochan is a defensive big which we needed and one of the two guards will probably replace Lonnie. I was hoping the spurs wouldn't reach and they didn't. Whomever was in charge of this draft improved the team. Can't to see these guys in summer league action.

timvp
06-24-2022, 01:31 AM
I know each player has their own worship thread, and the draft has like two separate threads, but I want it to let it be known that I think most fans have been happy with this draft... and I want to dispel the notion that we always complain about everything.

My boy Duren was traded for and went elsewhere... but Sochan fills such a huge need for the Spurs for several years now, that I can't but call that pick the biggest success.

I like both SG they chose, and overall glad they didn't try to outsmart themselves or anything.

There were a lot of trades in this draft it has to be said, Spurs weren't on the action except for pick 38 which ironically I liked who they picked there for depth, but they have enough guards and Primo the PG will take some minutes when required for depth

I felt like I was in the twilight zone when the Spurs picked exactly who I thought (and wanted) at each pick in the first round :wow

Fun stuff :tu

Rubberducky
06-24-2022, 03:11 AM
I think the three picks are an A+ for this year. Could not have gone better. Branham and Wesley I was praying would drop to 20 and 25 and somehow it happened. The table next to me at the bar can confirm that with the screaming. Still don't know how the dominoes fell like they did.

I DO wish the Spurs had shopped any combination of 20+25, 20+Poeltl, or 25+Poeltl to Charlotte for the 13th pick and Duren. 10-12 was NOT taking him and we all knew that. Giving Charlotte assets while still drafting Williams at 15 would have given them more assets and, a big they needed, and potentially a second big in Poeltl (who they've wanted for years). The Spurs walking away from the first round with Sochan and Duren would have been a close second to Detroit for winners of the draft. Seeing that not happen and Charlotte doing THAT EXACT SCENARIO with Detroit moments later definitely tilted me. It's clear that Sochan + Duren was doable but they didn't act on it. That felt like the only fuck-up of the night.

Again, as far as using all three draft picks, the Spurs couldn't do better than they did. A+ for that. Summer league can't come soon enough :hungry:

Wu36
06-24-2022, 03:45 AM
My biggest take is to last years younger players. Don’t expect Max deals, we have youth behind you. You guys haven’t made playoffs and a few parts could be moved for a good players. Competition is good and so is other teams wanting our players. Murray or 1-15

mystargtr34
06-24-2022, 05:38 AM
I felt like I was in the twilight zone when the Spurs picked exactly who I thought (and wanted) at each pick in the first round :wow

Fun stuff :tu

Im ashamed to admit when Silver said ".. Jeremy Sochan" when the Spurs drafted I stood up off the couch and gave a few hard fist pumps and "come ons" !! :lol

Gets tiring watching the Spurs be outsized, outrebounded, out defended on most nights and especially the play in game where they got straight bullied by the Pels. The Pels 2-guard (Herb Jones) was bigger than the Spurs power forward (Keldon). That shit aint gonna work.

Not anymore though. Drafting Sochan slides Keldon to the 3 and moved Doug to the bench and all of a sudden the Spurs have + size at every position, + defense and + rebounding at four of the five starting positions assuming they role with Jan-Sochan-Keldon-Devin-Murray. Then there's scoring and athleticism off the bench too.

Awesome foundation the Spurs have created for themselves. They can seriously build something really good off this.

KingKev
06-24-2022, 06:37 AM
Success from my standpoint. My biggest is take away is it is starting to feel like PATFO has their heads out of their asses again.

Dejounte
06-24-2022, 06:40 AM
Very glad we didn’t end up with Duren or Johnny Davis.

heyheymymy
06-24-2022, 08:22 AM
Following rumors of front office wants to force Primo to PG. I think Sochan will play a lot as a rookie, more than Primo last year, but KJ might start of as PF early season until Sochan is ready, which will then slide KJ down to SF, my dream come true.

Murray/Jones/Primo
Vassell/Branham20/Wesley25
McDermott/Richardson/Langford
Johnson/Sochan9/KBD
Poeltl/Zollins/Lansdale

heyheymymy
06-24-2022, 08:24 AM
Spurs only selecting one big this draft and 2 guards makes me wonder if there are still some Free Agency moves coming that involve a big. Might involve JRich outbound by the 2 SG selection last night.

Brazil
06-24-2022, 08:25 AM
Just happy we did not pick Dieng. Just for that it is a good draft.

in before dieng becomes a stud... and sochan a bust :lol

3&D_TBH
06-24-2022, 09:09 AM
Can you imagine the defense with DJ, Vassell, Jakob, and Sochan on the floor? I’m so happy. :-)

Mr. Body
06-24-2022, 09:22 AM
Spurs only selecting one big this draft and 2 guards makes me wonder if there are still some Free Agency moves coming that involve a big. Might involve JRich outbound by the 2 SG selection last night.

I think there just weren't good bigs at those points. The Spurs picked BPA at 20, whether they thought Branham would be there or not, and then picked BPA again at 25 even though there was overlap.

Atl Spur
06-24-2022, 09:28 AM
Jalen smith in free agency would help:)

drpill
06-24-2022, 09:58 AM
Such a satisfying draft. Sochan was a great pick and one of my top two or three options at that spot. I love his defensive game -- he moves so well and his awareness is off the charts -- and I have faith he can become a respectable, even good shooter after some time with Chip. Spurs needed a hard nosed switchable big who can be a glue guy on offense and they got an almost perfect fit there. Branham and Wesley both look like they could be steals with very high ceilings and should add a scoring punch that has been badly needed. Yes we have a LOT of guards but I think the roster will look more balanced after things sort themselves out through free agency and trades.

Love love love it. Looking forward to a fun season -- even though I predict this talent infusion will be just enough to keep us from getting a high pick next year, this is looking like a great group of players to follow and root for. Go Spurs!!

Ocotillo
06-24-2022, 10:25 AM
The draft was a success. Summer league will be fun to watch this year but the front office is not done. There is cap space to be used and trimming of last season's roster (ahem LWIV). I wish Lonnie had worked out but it is clear he out the door now. I wonder if Bud in Milwaukee will sign him cheap?

SAGirl
06-24-2022, 10:58 AM
To me, the fact the drafted two SG, let’s call them wings, means Richardson is out in a trade as soon as they find one they like. I suspect it wouldn’t be terrible if the most raw of the rookie wings needs some Gleague and then plays more after a midseason Richardson trade if it comes to that.

SAGirl
06-24-2022, 11:00 AM
Just happy we did not pick Dieng. Just for that it is a good draft.

in before dieng becomes a stud... and sochan a bust :lol
Dieng was traded to OKC for 3 lottery protected firsts!!! I still don’t know what OKC is doing there…

Ocotillo
06-24-2022, 11:13 AM
Dieng was traded to OKC for 3 lottery protected firsts!!! I still don’t know what OKC is doing there…

I was thinking at one point if OKC really wanted Dieng and was afraid we were going to snatch him we could have made some sort of trade if we didn't want him and likely still gotten Sochan. Didn't post during the draft as servers were already struggling.

Chinook
06-24-2022, 11:15 AM
Hoop Intellect put his board on YouTube. According to him, the Spurs went into the draft with one pick in each of the second, third, fourth and fifth tiers. They came away with one prospect from tier 2, two prospects from tier 3 and one prospect from tier 6. Barlow was the 49th guy on his board. If you view it as the Spurs trading down from 38 for 49, cash and a second to be named later, it was a decent haul. Memphis doesn't have any great seconds, but they do have some unprotected picks and favorable swaps, including one that already includes the Spurs. Could be like that DET/CHI/LAL situation all over again.

SAGirl
06-24-2022, 11:19 AM
I was thinking at one point if OKC really wanted Dieng and was afraid we were going to snatch him we could have made some sort of trade if we didn't want him and likely still gotten Sochan. Didn't post during the draft as servers were already struggling.
There were trades to be had by picking Dieng or Duren, but if they did that, they would risk Sochan for real. I am glad they didn’t get cute there. So han solves a lot of problems for the team, if they had gotten cute and ended up not getting him, the assets they would pick up in the trade wouldn’t make up for it.

Atl Spur
06-24-2022, 11:24 AM
There were trades to be had by picking Dieng or Duren, but if they did that, they would risk Sochan for real. I am glad they didn’t get cute there. So han solves a lot of problems for the team, if they had gotten cute and ended up not getting him, the assets they would pick up in the trade wouldn’t make up for it.

I agree! This kid is a point forward

emanueldavidginobili
06-24-2022, 12:14 PM
I think from the start of last season they gave Brian Wright a longer leash. Every decision he has made since the start of last season has been excellent and not the way RC and Pop really do things. Was shocked they didn't pick a euro last night, Dieng at 9 and what I was most surprised was that they passed on Jovic at 20 and 25.

RC_Drunkford
06-24-2022, 03:48 PM
According to reports all 3 picks were top 20 on the Spurs big board. Definitely a good draft

cutewizard
06-25-2022, 09:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NjUKy07eJM

cutewizard
06-25-2022, 09:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ukBss9K2Xs

cutewizard
06-25-2022, 09:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txKwbCoFnWM

JPB
06-25-2022, 09:28 AM
Duren was my man too but Spurs could hardly have done better with what they were proposed.

Very excited by Wesley. Don't think they were expecting to be able to pick him and Branham.

No idea if he was the pick if available; but yeah, happy we escaped Dieng... Stiil can't see what some see there but good for him if he proves me wrong.

cutewizard
06-25-2022, 09:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gjwRC0JYfM

offset formation
06-25-2022, 09:57 AM
Very glad we didn’t end up with Duren or Johnny Davis.

Same, bruh. Same.

offset formation
06-25-2022, 09:58 AM
I think from the start of last season they gave Brian Wright a longer leash. Every decision he has made since the start of last season has been excellent and not the way RC and Pop really do things. Was shocked they didn't pick a euro last night, Dieng at 9 and what I was most surprised was that they passed on Jovic at 20 and 25.

Sochan is a Euro.

RC_Drunkford
06-25-2022, 09:59 AM
Duren was my man too but Spurs could hardly have done better with what they were proposed.

Very excited by Wesley. Don't think they were expecting to be able to pick him and Branham.

No idea if he was the pick if available; but yeah, happy we escaped Dieng... Stiil can't see what some see there but good for him if he proves me wrong.

TimVP said it was a smokescreen. Probably one of the best ever by the Spurs. They will have to do this a lot since teams usually snatch our picks right before us

John B
06-25-2022, 10:46 AM
It took me awhile to see the light. The Spurs just got themselves some serious ballers. As Timvp was writing, each player had little expectations coming in as freshmen. But as the year progressed they got serious loads and prepped to be 1st options next year. Seriously, all 3 would be top picks next year.

Sochan - He’s going to be great. Defensivey, he’s like a Gorilla tape plugging all leaks. He helps the point of attack, he helps hide Keldon and allow him to be 3 and d (if slides in SF), he helps Poeltl stay with his man. PLUS, this guy is a Point Forward. That is actually the more exciting thing. So Han has a frame to put another 25 muscle. This will be a bulldozer at Point Forward, Barley-esque bully in the paint.

Brahnam - This kid is a 3 d offensive player. The Spurs we’re looking for a go to scorer? Enters Malaki. He knows to manufacture score, and not shy about it. This kid would be a top pick next year the way he haunts baskets. Bradley Beal?

Wesley - Still raw but already dominated the workout. Wish we got 4 to pick Ivey (actually 5). Well this kid has Ivey-esque athleticism. This kid puts it together, we got Ja 3.0

Plus Barlow a backup C for free (and extra 2nd pick to boost). Hall is another point forward. Spurs just added height and athleticism.

We got the picks that Spurs needs. Go-to scorer, defensive PF, defensive upside at guard with both measuring 6’10 wingspan, backup center. BW got his shopping list and brought back the goods! I’m stoked :ihit

RC_Drunkford
06-25-2022, 11:08 AM
http://twitter.com/spurs/status/1540711636528353280?s=20&t=JOR6ja32qIwWeNFJLDN7gQ

rascal
06-25-2022, 11:17 AM
Spurs did the best they could for getting stuck with the 9th pick.

It's too bad they couldn't make a draft day trade to move up as their biggent need, a go to dynamic scorer is still not met.

That was a tough draft spot missing out on the top 7 players.

rascal
06-25-2022, 11:22 AM
TimVP said it was a smokescreen. Probably one of the best ever by the Spurs. They will have to do this a lot since teams usually snatch our picks right before us

Dieng wasn't picked before the Spurs.

I knew the Spurs weren't interested in Dieng, that Sochan was the target if the top 7 were off the board as expeted.

JPB
06-25-2022, 11:49 AM

I knew the Spurs weren't interested in Dieng, that Sochan was the target if the top 7 were off the board as expeted.

Couldn't watch the draft live and for some reason, I thougt he was picked 8. Well, happy he's not the pick anyway.

John B
06-25-2022, 12:34 PM

I’m actually surprised it’s not Sochan as the primary target but Mathurin and Keegan. Not only because Sochan is the best overall best defensive player of this draft and he potentially fixes every facet of Spurs defensive weaknesses, help on point of attack, help to hide Keldon if he slips to SF, help on Poeltl staying with his man, the ability to switch on all 5 positions, PLUS Sochan has better upsides than those two as potential Point Forward. I have no doubt Sochan will be top 3 when they redraft 10 years from now. We have a potential modern day Point Forward bully on Sochan once he develops NBA body and put 25 lbs of muscles on that frame.

rascal
06-25-2022, 04:59 PM
I’m actually surprised it’s not Sochan as the primary target but Mathurin and Keegan. Not only because Sochan is the best overall best defensive player of this draft and he potentially fixes every facet of Spurs defensive weaknesses, help on point of attack, help to hide Keldon if he slips to SF, help on Poeltl staying with his man, the ability to switch on all 5 positions, PLUS Sochan has better upsides than those two as potential Point Forward. I have no doubt Sochan will be top 3 when they redraft 10 years from now. We have a potential modern day Point Forward bully on Sochan once he develops NBA body and put 25 lbs of muscles on that frame.

Those others have higher offensive upsides. Defense is boring.

BackHome
06-26-2022, 12:58 PM
It took me awhile to see the light. The Spurs just got themselves some serious ballers. As Timvp was writing, each player had little expectations coming in as freshmen. But as the year progressed they got serious loads and prepped to be 1st options next year. Seriously, all 3 would be top picks next year.

Sochan - He’s going to be great. Defensivey, he’s like a Gorilla tape plugging all leaks. He helps the point of attack, he helps hide Keldon and allow him to be 3 and d (if slides in SF), he helps Poeltl stay with his man. PLUS, this guy is a Point Forward. That is actually the more exciting thing. So Han has a frame to put another 25 muscle. This will be a bulldozer at Point Forward, Barley-esque bully in the paint.

Brahnam - This kid is a 3 d offensive player. The Spurs we’re looking for a go to scorer? Enters Malaki. He knows to manufacture score, and not shy about it. This kid would be a top pick next year the way he haunts baskets. Bradley Beal?

Wesley - Still raw but already dominated the workout. Wish we got 4 to pick Ivey (actually 5). Well this kid has Ivey-esque athleticism. This kid puts it together, we got Ja 3.0

Plus Barlow a backup C for free (and extra 2nd pick to boost). Hall is another point forward. Spurs just added height and athleticism.

We got the picks that Spurs needs. Go-to scorer, defensive PF, defensive upside at guard with both measuring 6’10 wingspan, backup center. BW got his shopping list and brought back the goods! I’m stoked :ihit

We got 4 good kids all 19 years old and I agree they each help with some of our current weaknesses:

Sochan - Will instantly become the leader on the defensive side telling people where to be and getting guys amped up to play D
Malaki - Is our go to scorer the guy is not shy and has a beautiful mid game and is super confident
Blake - Was surprised to hear that he practiced against Ivey, he has a lot of his traits and he with the right coaching could be special
Barlow - Another 19 year old is pretty fluid long ass arms and has the desire to get better and has shown that

John B
06-26-2022, 01:37 PM
We got 4 good kids all 19 years old and I agree they each help with some of our current weaknesses:

Sochan - Will instantly become the leader on the defensive side telling people where to be and getting guys amped up to play D
Malaki - Is our go to scorer the guy is not shy and has a beautiful mid game and is super confident
Blake - Was surprised to hear that he practiced against Ivey, he has a lot of his traits and he with the right coaching could be special
Barlow - Another 19 year old is pretty fluid long ass arms and has the desire to get better and has shown that

On top of Sochan’s defensive elite, I’m even more excited on the potential of him being a Point Forward. I don’t doubt Pop would develop and use him as another facilitator ala Bobo. And possibly a potential bully in the paint.

RC_Drunkford
06-26-2022, 03:02 PM

add Primo and that's a 5 man line up of 19 year olds

PG: Wesley
SG: Branham
SF: Primo
PF: Sochan
C: Barlow

XDT76
06-26-2022, 10:39 PM
add Primo and that's a 5 man line up of 19 year olds

PG: Wesley
SG: Branham
SF: Primo
PF: Sochan
C: Barlow

Not a bad lineup with reps and experience could be a very good and balance line up.

cutewizard
06-27-2022, 12:36 AM
:bobo