PDA

View Full Version : Come on now Spurfan, I mean come on

benefactor
06-23-2022, 11:32 PM
So I spent years here in the think tank studying players. Doing analytics and talking metrics when it comes to players. I don't do it as much as I used to, but in saying that I have no idea why any of you think any of these first three picks are bad. Everything all these three players do works and all the shortcomings can be addressed over time. The upside is far, far greater than the limitations. You have one starter and two guys who can add actual quality depth. You have a young roster that is now full of talent that becomes even more valuable from an asset standpoint going forward. Now...for the first time in a long time...you have real expanded options. You can develop it all and win...or you can make those necessary moves and win. Spurs are standing on solid ass fucking ground right now.

I'm not saying they are back, but this is the path.

GSG.

Atl Spur
06-23-2022, 11:42 PM
So I spent years here in the think tank studying players. Doing analytics and talking metrics when it comes to players. I don't do it as much as I used to, but in saying that I have no idea why any of you think any of these first three picks are bad. Everything all these three players do works and all the shortcomings can be addressed over time. The upside is far, far greater than the limitations. You have one starter and two guys who can add actual quality depth. You have a young roster that is now full of talent that becomes even more valuable from an asset standpoint going forward. Now...for the first time in a long time...you have real expanded options. You can develop it all and win...or you can make those necessary moves and win. Spurs are standing on solid ass fucking ground right now.

GSG.

GSG

SAGirl
06-23-2022, 11:51 PM
Looking good.
:flag::flag:

Robz4000
06-23-2022, 11:55 PM
You son of a bitch. I'm in.

offset formation
06-24-2022, 12:00 AM
The word is GLUT. Too many guards, not enough spots. And if you open up spots, that means youre guving up on two recent draft picks, in essence, in Walker and Jones at minimum. Which is fine if that's necessary for cap space or whatever, but it'll take a couple of years at least before our third pick is as talented or better than either one of those guys. Thus, your talent level just dropped for a couple years.

benefactor
06-24-2022, 12:05 AM
The word is GLUT. Too many guards, not enough spots. And if you open up spots, that means youre guving up on two recent draft picks, in essence, in Walker and Jones at minimum. Which is fine if that's necessary for cap space or whatever, but it'll take a couple of years at least before our third pick is as talented or better than either one of those guys. Thus, your talent level just dropped for a couple years.
I could dig heavy into this shit take, but I don't have the time or energy anymore. Just trust me Mr. Joined in 2015, things will be fine.

spurraider21
06-24-2022, 12:08 AM
Without making any trades, there isn’t much more than nitpicking to do with their 3 picks tbh

AFBlue
06-24-2022, 12:09 AM
Best draft since '97

offset formation
06-24-2022, 12:14 AM
I could dig heavy into this shit take, but I don't have the time or energy anymore. Just trust me Mr. Joined in 2015, things will be fine.

Lol. You just did the equivalent of the classic dodge of the shit I see all the time of Mr 158 followers on Twitter. I was on this board in 2009 maybe 2008, dipwad mostly as a surfer. And even if I was new as yesterday, my point is valid and it speaks poorly of your intelligencethat you think this dig is meaningful.

Spurs have way too many guards, and moreover, way too many in the 6'4" range and below. Wesley might turn out to be a grwat pick, but we passed on a multitude of other players that were PFs, legit SFs, and even a couple of Cs, which this team desperately needs help in.

So Mr I only post a few times a month guy, stick it up your pie hole. You and your arrogance can sit on a pole.

benefactor
06-24-2022, 12:15 AM
Without making any trades, there isn’t much more than nitpicking to do with their 3 picks tbh
There's pretty much nothing to be disappointed about. In all the years Ive been here and all the meltdowns Ive seen during drafts tonight is definitely not the night. They did good...if not great with their picks. We'll let it play out

benefactor
06-24-2022, 12:16 AM
Lol. You just did the equivalent of the classic dodge of the shit I see all the time of Mr 158 followers on Twitter. I was on this board in 2009 maybe 2008, dipwad mostly as a surfer. And even if I was new as yesterday, my point is valid and it speaks poorly of your intelligencethat you think this dig is meaningful.

Spurs have way too many guards, and moreover, way too many in the 6'4" range and below. Wesley might turn out to be a grwat pick, but we passed on a multitude of other players that were PFs, legit SFs, and even a couple of Cs, which this team desperately needs help in.

So Mr I only post a few times a month guy, stick it up your pie hole. You and your arrogance can sit on a pole.
Perhaps stop drinking and proofread your posts. I said what I said. You may go now.

John B
06-24-2022, 12:22 AM
I like the picks. But I would’ve taken Kamagate as international stash to top it off.

spurraider21
06-24-2022, 12:23 AM
There's pretty much nothing to be disappointed about. In all the years Ive been here and all the meltdowns Ive seen during drafts tonight is definitely not the night. They did good...if not great with their picks. We'll let it play out
For a rebuilding team, anything outside the lottery are dart throws are far as who is actually going to be a second contract guy. Not looking for role players at that point. Swing for the fences with Malaki and and Wesley. Not going to let Primo or Vassell stop me from swinging at those positions either. Just like we were smart not to let White or Walker stop us from taking swings there either.

Sochan isn’t a franchise player but it’s hard to listen to any analysis talk about him and not think “they’re literally describing draymond green”

Kori Ellis
Quality thread.

Spurs fans (in general) hate Lonnie Walker, and they drafted two Lonnie Walker replacements. So, that should be enough to stop any complaints about this draft.

Hopefully the Spurs can do something in free agency, but there shouldn't be any bellyaching about drafting these three 19 year olds.

Chinook
I agree that the draft checked most of the big boxes.

I wanted: A PF who could defend the best forwards, a guard who could defend the elite PGs, a strong offensive player, a backup center with potential.

I would say the Spurs got the first two unambiguously and might well have gotten the third one with their last first. I'll defer to others about Wesley, but it does look like he has the quickness and instincts to make that happen. Obviously, not all of these guys will be ready to fill those roles next season. But that's what you get when you draft.

The lack of a center does stand as a miss opportunity, and the Barlow signing was another chance they passed up. Given that they have three primary centers on the roster already and might even play Sochan there, it's not an immediate need. But I'll wonder if it was a good idea to take Wesley over a center at least until I get shut up during the summer league.

I'm glad the team is going to bring in four rookies. They had the room for it on the roster. four of the five positions have renewed depth. This can't be the only major event of the off-season, but it was a good opening act.

AFBlue
06-24-2022, 12:25 AM
Spurs have a fantastic mix of talent to build upon or upgrade against if the right fit comes along. Love Sochan as an immediate fit and love the potential of Branham and Wesley as difference-making guards.

AFBlue
06-24-2022, 12:27 AM
Quality thread.

Spurs fans (in general) hate Lonnie Walker, and they drafted two Lonnie Walker replacements. So, that should be enough to stop any complaints about this draft.

Hopefully the Spurs can do something in free agency, but there shouldn't be any bellyaching about drafting these three 19 year olds.

Branham feels like a higher floor than Lonnie, but agree that Wesley could be a Lonnie clone. Love the cheap replacement upside.

John B
06-24-2022, 12:29 AM

I wanted: A PF who could defend the best forwards, a guard who could defend the elite PGs, a strong offensive player, a backup center with potential.

I would say the Spurs got the first two unambiguously and might well have gotten the third one with their last first. I'll defer to others about Wesley, but it does look like he has the quickness and instincts to make that happen. Obviously, not all of these guys will be ready to fill those roles next season. But that's what you get when you draft.

The lack of a center does stand as a miss opportunity, and the Barlow signing was another chance they passed up. Given that they have three primary centers on the roster already and might even play Sochan there, it's not an immediate need. But I'll wonder if it was a good idea to take Wesley over a center at least until I get shut up during the summer league.

I'm glad the team is going to bring in four rookies. They had the room for it on the roster. four of the five positions have renewed depth. This can't be the only major event of the off-season, but it was a good opening act.

3 rookies. Kennedy Chandler is going to Memphis for future 2nd pick and cash. I would’ve like Kamagate there instead as international stash.

Chinook
06-24-2022, 12:32 AM
3 rookies. Kennedy Chandler is going to Memphis for future 2nd pick and cash. I would’ve like Kamagate there instead as international stash.

Four rookies. The Spurs signed Dominick Barlow as a two-way contract.

chunticakes
06-24-2022, 12:38 AM

Didn't you want Dieng with the #9? :lol

benefactor
06-24-2022, 12:41 AM
Quality thread.

What's good Kori...I just asked LJ where you were a bit ago lol. I'm excited about the youngsters and I hope to take in a few games for the first time in several years. Life has just been busy and fucking loud. I'm ready to get back to easy things like basketball lol. Finally get with Mrs. Maalox and hit a few of those breweries she's always talking about.

benefactor
06-24-2022, 12:42 AM
He's an idiot tbh.

SpurPadre
06-24-2022, 12:44 AM
This is the most excited I’ve been as a Spurs fan in years. Really happy with our draft tonight.

benefactor
06-24-2022, 12:48 AM
This is the most excited I’ve been as a Spurs fan in years. Really happy with our draft tonight.
This roster now has tremendous versatility. Lots of options and directions to go. Now, from here...you really fucking build a team.

benefactor
06-24-2022, 12:51 AM

This is what people don't fucking get. It looks like real building now. Not the horseshit we have had to endure since the last trophy hit the case. At least attempt to understand what this franchise is trying to do.

John B
06-24-2022, 12:52 AM
Four rookies. The Spurs signed Dominick Barlow as a two-way contract.

Thanks I missed that. Dominick Barlow seems to be a good prospect, 6’9” OF who shoots 36% from 3pt and 77% from the line.

Wow, there has got to be a trade cooking up.

benefactor
06-24-2022, 12:55 AM
Thanks I missed that. Dominick Barlow seems to be a good prospect, 6’9” OF who shoots 36% from 3pt and 77% from the line.

Wow, there has got to be a trade cooking up.
On a two way? You bet your ass its a good deal. He has some real sleeper potential as a prospect.

AFBlue
06-24-2022, 12:58 AM
Won't hold my breath on Barlow, will pray out loud for Wesley and will count on Sochan and Branham to deliver. Great draft given they let the person cks come to them and didn't panic.

Kori Ellis
06-24-2022, 01:00 AM
What's good Kori...I just asked LJ where you were a bit ago lol. I'm excited about the youngsters and I hope to take in a few games for the first time in several years. Life has just been busy and fucking loud. I'm ready to get back to easy things like basketball lol. Finally get with Mrs. Maalox and hit a few of those breweries she's always talking about.

I rarely post, but I try to keep up with what's happening with the Spurs. Like you, I am pleased with the draft. I hope life is getting less busy for you, and you get to as many games as possible.

benefactor
06-24-2022, 01:07 AM
I rarely post, but I try to keep up with what's happening with the Spurs. Like you, I am pleased with the draft. I hope life is getting less busy for you, and you get to as many games as possible.
I made it down to SA with my wife for her first time last year(I couldn't believe she had never fucking been). My daughter lives down there too now. My job basically gives me the whole month off for December so I plan on taking a couple trips down with her and forcing her to go to a game even though she doesn't really like basketball. I know she will have a good time.:D

benefactor
I made it down to SA with my wife for her first time last year(I couldn't believe she had never fucking been). My daughter lives down there too now. My job basically gives me the whole month off for December so I plan on taking a couple trips down with her and forcing her to go to a game even though she doesn't really like basketball. I know she will have a good time.:D

offset formation

Yes. With Daniels and Sochan right behind. Whats funny is you think you burned me when Dieng has every opportunityto be just as successfulif not moreso than Dieng, yet you group thinking bastards like to sit on your thrones of supposed BBIQ superiority when i bet you didn't watch 1 minute of his tape, lol.:rollin

widowmaker
06-24-2022, 01:08 AM
Solid draft hopefully they have good training camps and gain some confidence coming in to the season to build on.

offset formation
06-24-2022, 01:09 AM
He's an idiot tbh.

You know shit.

benefactor
06-24-2022, 01:11 AM
You know shit.
I do indeed. Thanks.

BatManu20
06-24-2022, 01:12 AM
Hear hear. Hell of a draft for the Silver & Black tbh.

timvp
06-24-2022, 01:15 AM
I love this draft more and more the more I think about it :cry

SAGirl
06-24-2022, 01:16 AM
I see the complaint about guards but Wright mentioned that word like 100 times next to BPA yesterday. I dont see that as a problem.
Walker isnt coming back.. have more to say but it wil have to wait.

slick'81
06-24-2022, 01:20 AM
Defensive wing to help poodle power-check(sochan)
guard who can create and shoot-check(malakai)
project with potential upside-check(wesley)

could of been alot worse

SpurPadre
06-24-2022, 01:24 AM
This roster now has tremendous versatility. Lots of options and directions to go. Now, from here...you really fucking build a team.

Agreed. So many fun pieces with upside. It’s going to be a bright future for the franchise. Also, hell yeah on “IPA’s All Day” man! I’m into Hazy’s myself!

benefactor
06-24-2022, 01:25 AM
I see the complaint about guards but Wright mentioned that word like 100 times next to BPA yesterday. I dont see that as a problem.
Walker isnt coming back.. have more to say but it wil have to wait.
It's not a problem. Having a ton of talent and assets is never a problem. That's what you do with that many draft picks.

Now you build.

benefactor
06-24-2022, 01:30 AM
Agreed. So many fun pieces with upside. It’s going to be a bright future for the franchise. Also, hell yeah on “IPA’s All Day” man! I’m into Hazy’s myself!
Spindletap out of Houston is rolling out some damn good shit right now. My local brewery ETX brewing has great beers too. But Im old school. Gimme a good ole Dales Pale Ale on tap or when Im in the Dallas are that Velvet Hammer from Peticolas always hits home.

benefactor
06-24-2022, 01:33 AM
In the picture I'm drinking Oscar Blues G'Night Imperial Red. Cheers.

John B
06-24-2022, 01:36 AM

could of been alot worse

Defensive PF - Sochan Check
Go-To scorer - Malakai? Maybe
Point-of-attack defender - ?
On-man defensive C - ?

Looking how the teams picked. I think I would’ve gotten:

Davis - 9 point of attack defender, go-to scorer, All-Star upside
Liddell - 38 PF strong shot blocker and go-to scorer

23-25 I could have used to get Duren or Williams.

SpurPadre
06-24-2022, 01:38 AM

Right on. As a SF Bay Area Spurs fan, I put up with obnoxious and fake ass Dubs fans but some damn good beers too, fortunately! I agree about Dales Pale Ale, tho. That shit’s solid!

Kurik
06-24-2022, 01:44 AM
Defensive PF - Sochan Check
Go-To scorer - Malakai? Maybe
Point-of-attack defender - ?
On-man defensive C - ?

Looking how the teams picked. I think I would’ve gotten:

Davis - 9 point of attack defender, go-to scorer, All-Star upside
Liddell - 38 PF strong shot blocker and go-to scorer

23-25 I could have used to get Duren or Williams.

Branham and Wesley have as much upside as JD if not more. JD has a higher floor.

The teams that got Duren and Williams got them to fill their own needs. I don’t think the Spurs would have been able to beat their position.

benefactor
06-24-2022, 01:45 AM
Right on. As a SF Bay Area Spurs fan, I put up with obnoxious and fake ass Dubs fans but some damn good beers too, fortunately! I agree about Dales Pale Ale, tho. That shit’s solid!
I just go back to it. There's no reason not to. It's so good on tap. The guy at my local drafthouse cut his teeth on it so it's always on tap year round there.

Kori Ellis
06-24-2022, 01:56 AM
Looks like Spurs also picked up Jordan Hall (Saint Joseph's)

T Park
06-24-2022, 02:28 AM
6’8 G/F point forward out of St Johns. Interesting guy

Mal
06-24-2022, 04:16 AM
Been Spurs fan for over 25 years, from Poland, and from every NBA team, the Spurs drafted Sochan, who will be hated by other teams fans for sure. But that's the player you want in your team.

GSG

99 Problems
06-24-2022, 05:05 AM
:flag:

Chinook
06-24-2022, 07:01 AM
I don't know how many people remember how after the Aldridge signing in 2015, a bunch of OG STers came back for a bit. Is this draft going to be the next Field of Dreams moment for the site?

JuneJive
06-24-2022, 07:05 AM
It was a good day.

Wristcutters can go fuck themselves.

Das Texan
06-24-2022, 08:19 AM

me too, I really feel the front office knocked this one out of the park.

Never expected them to make all 3 picks as well!q

mo7888
06-24-2022, 08:54 AM

It's solid at the very least.... Do you think we reignite the Murray talks next week or try and build with Murray? Curious as to how you see is using our cap space too...

buttsR4rebounding
06-24-2022, 10:09 AM
It's solid at the very least.... Do you think we reignite the Murray talks next week or try and build with Murray? Curious as to how you see is using our cap space too...

With TiMVP's comments on how the Spurs see Primo as the long term solution to PG and with the plethora of guards on the roster it seems to me that Murray's time with the Spurs is limited. I am certain that they will wait until they have the deal they want--maybe even to next offseason, but at some point they will pull the trigger. I wonder how bad the pick protection was that the Spurs weren't willing to pull the trigger on 4 FRPs?

mo7888
06-24-2022, 10:13 AM
With TiMVP's comments on how the Spurs see Primo as the long term solution to PG and with the plethora of guards on the roster it seems to me that Murray's time with the Spurs is limited. I am certain that they will wait until they have the deal they want--maybe even to next offseason, but at some point they will pull the trigger. I wonder how bad the pick protection was that the Spurs weren't willing to pull the trigger on 4 FRPs?

I think he's worth less next offseason simply because he'd be on an expiring contract and would be an Ufa at the end of the season. If we're going to trade him then nows the time to extract maximum value...there should be more suitors besides Atl that will be interest once FA starts too..

Ocotillo
06-24-2022, 10:28 AM
Murray fits on Miami better than Kyle Lowry.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-24-2022, 11:24 AM

Imperial Red ..............

fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk youuuuuuuuuuu

SAGirl
06-24-2022, 01:37 PM

could of been alot worse
Great summary.

I am there!!!

The happiest I have been about a draft in a long time.

Would have loved a big man with upside, but can’t have it all, and to make that wish of mine a reality, they would have had to sacrifice other things.

Chinook and Timvp sold me on Barlow as a good project, or at least an intriguing guy… so I am in.

rjv
06-24-2022, 01:47 PM
i loved this draft. it would have been capped off for me, personally, if procida had been available at #38. but i am very pleased with how last night played out.

SAGirl
06-24-2022, 02:02 PM
This is my take currently… (and I reserve the right to change it bc things are fluid), Id rather they try to build a better team next season and get a costar for Murray. He really took a step forward, made the all star team, was in the running solidly for MIP. Ive waxed poetic about how that is no slight to Murray at all. He was great. Could even get better with vet experience, getting more comfortable, and if he had a real costar, who knows what the team can do.

Id try to make a legitimate effort to improve getting like Ayton to partner with him. In fact if they passed on making an aggressive move to draft Duren bc their play is Ayton Id be excstatic with that. Id really want to see what Murray could do with someone who can shoulder offensive load on a nightly basis as well. Ayton is the guy that comes to my mind as one of the best possible fits as a partner for Murray among the players currently available, but Id have to see if there are other plays to be made as well. Spurs could continue to develop their youngins alongside a vet duo of Murray and whoever… but my current take is that if they decide to keep Murray and are looking forward to committing to him with a big extension, you have to make at least one significant win now move to get him immediate help.

Otherwise we need to look at a scenario that understandably many fans are reluctant to look at. My first option is not to trade Murray… but if you can’t get him help? You have to pick up the phone and try to continue to get a haul for him bc I think there is a timeframe with him for sure.

SAGirl
06-24-2022, 02:05 PM
i loved this draft. it would have been capped off for me, personally, if procida had been available at #38. but i am very pleased with how last night played out.
You have to consider the possibility that who they really wanted at 38 was Houstan… he also went earlier.

But its a hypothetical. I do think that they felt comfortable selling that pick and kicking it down the road bc whoever they wanted at that spot was taken.

objective
06-24-2022, 02:14 PM
I suspect Murray to have more value at the trade deadline. Right now nobody believes in his second half, hell not a lot even recognize that he had a great second half. Spurs were never on tv and he was recovering from illness in the play-in game and didn't look great

He took a big jump once White was traded.

His first half of the season next year, with the chip on his shoulder from trade talks, the potential of a supermax, and hopefully a stronger roster at the outset with Sochan minutes and Collins ready the whole year instead of Eubanks ...

He should put up monster numbers.

Locked on Hawks when talking about the rumors was of course in favor of getting Murray but at the same time downplaying how good he was, there's still this narrative out there that he's just a defender basically. And the LoH host is one of the best guys in the basketball media game, though he does tend to think Hawks players need godfather packages in return.

John B
06-24-2022, 02:17 PM
You have to consider the possibility that who they really wanted at 38 was Houstan… he also went earlier.

But its a hypothetical. I do think that they felt comfortable selling that pick and kicking it down the road bc whoever they wanted at that spot was taken.

Liddell at 38 would’ve given them another strong defensive PF who can score, instead of trading to potentially late 2nd round. That part I didn’t get.

mo7888
06-24-2022, 02:18 PM
This is my take currently… (and I reserve the right to change it bc things are fluid), Id rather they try to build a better team next season and get a costar for Murray. He really took a step forward, made the all star team, was in the running solidly for MIP. Ive waxed poetic about how that is no slight to Murray at all. He was great. Could even get better with vet experience, getting more comfortable, and if he had a real costar, who knows what the team can do.

Id try to make a legitimate effort to improve getting like Ayton to partner with him. In fact if they passed on making an aggressive move to draft Duren bc their play is Ayton Id be excstatic with that. Id really want to see what Murray could do with someone who can shoulder offensive load on a nightly basis as well. Ayton is the guy that comes to my mind as one of the best possible fits as a partner for Murray among the players currently available, but Id have to see if there are other plays to be made as well. Spurs could continue to develop their youngins alongside a vet duo of Murray and whoever… but my current take is that if they decide to keep Murray and are looking forward to committing to him with a big extension, you have to make at least one significant win now move to get him immediate help.

Otherwise we need to look at a scenario that understandably many fans are reluctant to look at. My first option is not to trade Murray… but if you can’t get him help? You have to pick up the phone and try to continue to get a haul for him bc I think there is a timeframe with him for sure.

I like the general thought process you're putting forward there but, I don't think Ayton is enough to move the needle much. If we were to pull of a Poeltl+Richardson +McDermott trade for Ayton+Saric or something similar I don't think we've raised our win total next season. We'd still have alot of cap space but we'd need one more player between Murray and Ayton that's better than both to really make a dent. Now don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to do that instead of trading Murray for picks but I just don't see that 3rd player who's a legitimate star we can bring in. Do you have any thoughts on who'd that be? Ayton + Murray only gets us back to the play-in with some luck and that's not worth punting on next year's draft for that kind of mediocrity.

JeffDuncan
06-24-2022, 02:28 PM
Liddell at 38 would’ve given them another strong defensive PF who can score, instead of trading to potentially late 2nd round. That part I didn’t get.

The Spurs did not want four rookies on the regular roster. You can understand that.

John B
06-24-2022, 02:32 PM
The Spurs did not want four rookies on the regular roster. You can understand that.

Dominick Barlow

SAGirl
06-24-2022, 02:32 PM
I like the general thought process you're putting forward there but, I don't think Ayton is enough to move the needle much. If we were to pull of a Poeltl+Richardson +McDermott trade for Ayton+Saric or something similar I don't think we've raised our win total next season. We'd still have alot of cap space but we'd need one more player between Murray and Ayton that's better than both to really make a dent. Now don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to do that instead of trading Murray for picks but I just don't see that 3rd player who's a legitimate star we can bring in. Do you have any thoughts on who'd that be? Ayton + Murray only gets us back to the play-in with some luck and that's not worth punting on next year's draft for that kind of mediocrity.
I think Ayton would improve the team significantly. I dont think ppl realize how much they overrate Jakob frankly. I hate to get in this kind of subject bc it looks like I am attacking Jakob when I really am not. He has been solid, very good for what they have needed, but the last time the Spurs were a competitive team they were anchored by a C with an offensive game and the Spurs liked legit big men who could shoot so much that even having Timmy D, they signed LMA to partner with Kawhi, and then went and signed Paul Gasol. I think the Spurs just have sets and things in their offense that require a center with much more talent than Jakob has. Not everyone is going to be GSW. They have an all time player in their team. Its like trying to be the Chicago Bulls of the 90s when you don’t have Jordan and Pippen. Not going to happen for anybody.

Murray creates so many shots for Jakob its incredible. That is actually what has boosted Jakob’s production. All these people waxing poetic about how CP3 has boosted all their bigs, need to acknowledge that Murray has propped up Jakob so much as well, that he might well get himself into a $17 million year deal next summer bc of it. I think Murray with a more gifted player as a partner is already a bonus. Then you have to count on Johnson playing like he did to end the season and Vassel making a leap… I think the Spurs have enough to get better if they add one significant piece like Ayton is.

Then Id try to make something happen for the bench. Id like a veteran there to take up Walkers role. I like the SG they drafted, but the Spurs dont generally come in putting pressure on rookies to shoulder a big burden. They probably will place more on Primo’s shoulders. Maybe they make a play for like Gordon Hayward, get assets for him, and have him be the bench scorer, limiting his minutes to keep him healthy and also give a veteran presence to help their young guys?

How does that sound?

I dont mention Lavine bc Chicago will max him. I dont know who else is realistic to get.

SAGirl
06-24-2022, 02:38 PM
^ I cant edit my post bc of the admin trying to keep the server speed working.. but Id add that the play for Gordon Hayward would go in hand with plays they have made recently to rehab injured veteran players to bolster their bench like most notably Rudy Gay, but more recently Zollins.

I am sure there could be other potential candidates there. I am not the most plugged in person for what’s available.

mo7888
06-24-2022, 02:41 PM
I think Ayton would improve the team significantly. I dont think ppl realize how much they overrate Jakob frankly. I hate to get in this kind of subject bc it looks like I am attacking Jakob when I really am not. He has been solid, very good for what they have needed, but the last time the Spurs were a competitive team they were anchored by a C with an offensive game and the Spurs liked legit big men who could shoot so much that even having Timmy D, they signed LMA to partner with Kawhi, and then went and signed Paul Gasol. I think the Spurs just have sets and things in their offense that require a center with much more talent than Jakob has. Not everyone is going to be GSW. They have an all time player in their team. Its like trying to be the Chicago Bulls of the 90s when you don’t have Jordan and Pippen. Not going to happen for anybody.

Murray creates so many shots for Jakob its incredible. That is actually what has boosted Jakob’s production. All these people waxing poetic about how CP3 has boosted all their bigs, need to acknowledge that Murray has propped up Jakob so much as well, that he might well get himself into a $17 million year deal next summer bc of it. I think Murray with a more gifted player as a partner is already a bonus. Then you have to count on Johnson playing like he did to end the season and Vassel making a leap… I think the Spurs have enough to get better if they add one significant piece like Ayton is.

Then Id try to make something happen for the bench. Id like a veteran there to take up Walkers role. I like the SG they drafted, but the Spurs dont generally come in putting pressure on rookies to shoulder a big burden. They probably will place more on Primo’s shoulders. Maybe they make a play for like Gordon Hayward, get assets for him, and have him be the bench scorer, limiting his minutes to keep him healthy and also give a veteran presence to help their young guys?

How does that sound?

I dont mention Lavine bc Chicago will max him. I dont know who else is realistic to get.

I get where you're coming from but I think making that deal to get Ayton plus a veteran puts us somewhere between 8 and 10 on the West. I do agree that Ayton is a better offensive scorer than Jak and I also think he's just more physical but that's really the only separation I see. I just personally don't think it's wise to give up a top pick in next years draft for an 8th seed (at best). Now of there's a path to adding a player that better than Murray so we have a trio there...we'll then I'm all ears...or as Mr Body might say..."you son of a bitch I'm in" lol

VBM
06-24-2022, 02:42 PM

GSG.

So much optimism in this that I had to post for the first time in years. Damn you, Facto!

https://media0.giphy.com/media/exDtC9VYdxewuy7u1I/giphy.gif?cid=82a1493b2x99hcnqh7r9v0k6m1h6segy6csj 6otrkg5ba8aq&rid=giphy.gif&ct=v

GSG

vy65
06-24-2022, 02:47 PM
Spindletap out of Houston is rolling out some damn good shit right now. My local brewery ETX brewing has great beers too. But Im old school. Gimme a good ole Dales Pale Ale on tap or when Im in the Dallas are that Velvet Hammer from Peticolas always hits home.

Bruh, the best IPA out of Houston (area) is Lone Pint's Yellow Rose.

rjv
06-24-2022, 02:56 PM

we don't really knew who they wanted. i mean, as of just yesterday, there were those already convinced that the spurs were going to take dieng at 9. they were clearly interested in both procida and houstan but both were off the board, as you stated. perhaps they had even decided that their 1st round haul was good enough to no longer hold on to the 2nd round pick before the round even started.

JeffDuncan
06-24-2022, 02:58 PM
Dominick Barlow

He’s a two-way signing.

The Spurs currently have 12 players under contract for next season (on the regular roster.) The NBA limit is 15, of course. With the three draft picks added, that brings them to 15. It’s an excellent position to be in. It means other teams won’t have an advantage in trade talks because of the Spurs needing to get rid of somebody. We can be tough in trade negotiations.

SAGirl
06-24-2022, 03:26 PM
I get where you're coming from but I think making that deal to get Ayton plus a veteran puts us somewhere between 8 and 10 on the West. I do agree that Ayton is a better offensive scorer than Jak and I also think he's just more physical but that's really the only separation I see. I just personally don't think it's wise to give up a top pick in next years draft for an 8th seed (at best). Now of there's a path to adding a player that better than Murray so we have a trio there...we'll then I'm all ears...or as Mr Body might say..."you son of a bitch I'm in" lol
If you solidly and honestly believe this, I think you have answered your own question. The next play is undoubtedly and unavoidably a Murray trade then. I am solidly in tow with a true rebuild. They should have gone that way in 2018, after they traded Kawhi, taking a package based on younger prospects and picks. Don’t want to go down that rehashed subject too much but only bring it up to say that I am ready for a true rebuild and have been for years. Part of my disappointment and dissatisfaction has been the Spurs approach of let’s be competitive but not really.

I am not opposed to trading Murray as you know, but it’s not like that’s my first inclination either. It will be interesting tose what’s others have to say about it. I know your initial question was for timvp.

SAGirl
06-24-2022, 03:30 PM
we don't really knew who they wanted. i mean, as of just yesterday, there were those already convinced that the spurs were going to take dieng at 9. they were clearly interested in both procida and houstan but both were off the board, as you stated. perhaps they had even decided that their 1st round haul was good enough to no longer hold on to the 2nd round pick before the round even started.
I think they honest considered Dieng there but nit to keep. He was traded to OKC for 3 first round picks! 3! So I do think they are talking and taking calls about him at 9. They eventually decided those 3 picks weren’t worth passing up Sochan. There were other trades they potentially rejected too to take their guys but I won’t say that the photo leaked of Ousman agent calling RC was nothing. They were legit conversations involving him that sparked that rumor, probably from Dieng agent. Spurs eventually backed up from that… like they backed up from other potential trades.

stnick2261
06-24-2022, 03:42 PM
It was nice for once to hear that someone in the front office wasn't rolling over in trade talks. However, it makes me wonder why he was so adamant about high pick protections. Are they planning on going 100% this next season and shooting for a winning record and playoffs , but just being careful/prudent? Or are they expecting a rough year and a lottery pick next summer? If it's the second, I'd be more inclined to trade Murray and Poeltl for a longer rebuild. I'm hoping it's the first option though. I love this young core and want to see them grow together and be successful.

mo7888
06-24-2022, 03:56 PM
If you solidly and honestly believe this, I think you have answered your own question. The next play is undoubtedly and unavoidably a Murray trade then. I am solidly in tow with a true rebuild. They should have gone that way in 2018, after they traded Kawhi, taking a package based on younger prospects and picks. Don’t want to go down that rehashed subject too much but only bring it up to say that I am ready for a true rebuild and have been for years. Part of my disappointment and dissatisfaction has been the Spurs approach of let’s be competitive but not really.

I am not opposed to trading Murray as you know, but it’s not like that’s my first inclination either. It will be interesting tose what’s others have to say about it. I know your initial question was for timvp.

I agree with every word you just uttered... I will add that I do think there could be a chance to add Ayton + that player who's better than Murray through a trade... I'm not sure who that is exactly but the landscape changes quickly and I prefer that to the rebuild... hopefully our FO has a handle on if there's a realistic target there before FA starts...

RC_Drunkford
06-24-2022, 04:18 PM
I don‘t get the trade Murray thing tbh. He’s 25. The Spurs goal seems to be to load up on young players and for them to make a strides at the same time. That could still happen in Murray‘s prime. I want them to get him some help. Maybe Ayton, but the Spurs are still fairly thin at PF so I‘d like for them to pursue a starter like an OG or even John Collins although many here think he has fallen off a cliff. Sochan is versatile enough to be paired with another forward too. I want a starter for the front court. And I don’t get the 3rd star argument either. You first try to find the 2nd one and collect assets to then make a deal once that guy that puts you in contention becomes available

objective
06-24-2022, 04:23 PM
Don't understand what the Spurs could possibly see in Primo as a full time point guard. A point guard who can't get to the rim is a recipe for more lottery picks.

MVPCues
06-24-2022, 04:46 PM
Don't understand what the Spurs could possibly see in Primo as a full time point guard. A point guard who can't get to the rim is a recipe for more lottery picks.

Same. Unless he has just been held back and we don't see what coaches see in practice, I don't get it either.

BackHome
06-24-2022, 05:04 PM
Right now Sochan is a better Point Guard then Primo as Baylor used him in that role in several games. Not hating on Primo he is just not a PG that the Spurs doing the stupid thing - let’s put a round peg in a square whole

benefactor
06-24-2022, 10:39 PM
Bruh, the best IPA out of Houston (area) is Lone Pint's Yellow Rose.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try it sometime.