PDA

View Full Version : Bowen, Ginobili two bright spots as Spurs survive

Kori Ellis
11-30-2005, 02:12 AM
Bowen, Ginobili two bright spots as Spurs survive

Web Posted: 11/30/2005 12:14 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA113005.1C.BKNspurs.lakers.gamer.e0dc294.html

Kobe Bryant rimmed out a final 3-pointer, Tim Duncan added another free throw and the Spurs walked off the SBC Center floor Tuesday having survived another ragged effort.

With the 90-84 victory over the Los Angeles Lakers secure and the sellout crowd of 18,797 out of the arena, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich calmly ticked off the list of positives his team could take from the game: Bruce Bowen's defense on Bryant; and Manu Ginobili's aggressiveness.

"That's what got us through," Popovich said. "Those guys were really good for us."

The Spurs couldn't say the same about their collective effort. After running out to a 17-point lead after seven minutes, they struggled to close out the Lakers until Duncan made two free throws with 15.4 seconds remaining.

In between, the Spurs surrendered 38 points off 16 turnovers and the Lakers' 17 offensive rebounds. The extra chances allowed the Lakers to take 94 shots — the Spurs attempted 76 — climb within 87-84 when Lamar Odom drove for a layup with 23.4 seconds left.

Michael Finley, who helped slow Los Angeles' comeback with a couple of timely jump shots, nearly lost the ball in the backcourt before rifling a pass across midcourt to Duncan, who was intentionally fouled.

"We need to get better," Bowen said. "This isn't the way we played in the past. Pop's doing a fantastic job of keeping his cool. But we have to respond to that."

The Spurs couldn't have asked for more from Bowen. He provided 11 points on seven shots, but it was his defense on the NBA's leading scorer that proved to be the difference.

Bryant came into Tuesday averaging 40.2 points over his previous five games. Bowen held him to 25, and Bryant needed 33 shots to get those.

Bryant made only nine shots while missing all six 3-point attempts.

"He was in his face every shot he took," Duncan said. "Kobe made a couple of crazy layups in a row where had to really work, but other than that, Bruce did a heck of a job."

Bowen did his best to chase Bryant or herd him into the arms of the Spurs' help defense, which Popovich described as "sometimes really good, sometimes really poor."

The Spurs' overall performance was equally inconsistent, though they started the game crisply enough.

Tony Parker split through the Lakers for a couple of layups. Rasho Nesterovic followed his own missed shot with another layup. When Parker had the ball knocked from his hands, Ginobili plucked it out of the air and tossed in a short bank shot for two of his team-high 22 points.

Of the first nine shots the Spurs made, only one was taken from farther than 3 feet. As a result, they ran out to a 25-8 lead.

Los Angeles coach Phil Jackson never budged from his chair, allowing the Lakers to play through their mistakes or, perhaps, waiting for the Spurs to make their own.

The Spurs' execution deteriorated not long after Popovich went to his bench. Ten of the team's 16 turnovers came in the first half, including three during the final 4:26 of the second quarter — a particularly poor stretch that allowed Los Angeles to close within 43-38 at the half.

"The last three minutes of the first half were indicative of the way we played the whole game," Bowen said.

Parker, so effective at getting to the rim this season, looked like the player who couldn't make a shot when the Lakers packed in their defense two seasons ago in the playoffs. He finished with a season-low 10 points then left the locker room without speaking to reporters.

Duncan wasn't too much better, totaling 16 points and nine rebounds. Together, he and Parker had nine turnovers.

Odom, meanwhile, hurt the Spurs with a season-best 27 points and 16 rebounds.

"We got (the Spurs) mired in our style of play," Jackson said. "They were playing at a level above us, and we got them to come down to our level."

Ginobili had something to do with that. After the Lakers pulled within seven late in the third quarter, Ginobili spun through three defenders for a layup then found Finley for a 23-footer. On the next possession, he caught a pass from Nick Van Exel with his back to the basket then flipped in a layup.

"I think he's starting to come around pretty well," said Popovich, who only hopes the rest of his team will do the same.

Brutalis
11-30-2005, 02:16 AM
Parker sucked. Man, so many guys sucked I have not much to say.

Except, we need to play better come Thursday night, or it's another blowout.

Kori Ellis
11-30-2005, 02:20 AM
Tim sucked. Tony sucked.

Barry sucked too.

At least he got that one basket.

I was going to go crazy if he 0-for'd. He spent way too much time on the court in the 2nd quarter.

And Nazr sucks bad. He gets some rebounds, but damn. When he sets a pick, he misses the player all together (or barely brushes him) so the pick is absolutely useless. And he never helps on D. It's very embarrassing.

I'm not complaining though :) The Spurs will be fine.

Please don't get blown out by the Josh Howard-less Mavs.

Brutalis
11-30-2005, 02:23 AM
Tim sucked. Tony sucked.

Barry sucked too.

At least he got that one basket.

I was going to go crazy if he 0-for'd. He spent way too much time on the court in the 2nd quarter.

And Nazr sucks bad. He gets some rebounds, but damn. When he sets a pick, he misses the player all together (or barely brushes him) so the pick is absolutely useless. And he never helps on D. It's very embarrassing.

I'm not complaining though :) The Spurs will be fine.

Nazr is just like he was when he played for Kentucky. I've said that before but, I've been in Bud Walton when my Hogs gave him a beating. I don't think he ever "developes". That's just how Nazr is.

I fixed your text for you also so everyone can read. Don't thank me!

Mr. Defense
11-30-2005, 02:41 AM
Manu Ginobili. :tu

Good D and shots Bruce. :tu

I'll be glad when Rasho is traded so Nazr can get more minutes. :tu

I don't believe dallas will win.

Spurs struggle at home to beat LA.

Dallas loses on the road.

it's gonna be tough.

I'll take a W anyway, anyhow.

Kori Ellis
11-30-2005, 02:42 AM
I'll be glad when Rasho is traded so Nazr can get more minutes.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Rasho is 10 times better than Nazr right now.

Brutalis
11-30-2005, 02:44 AM
Yeah I retract all rude comments towards Rasho over the summer. Damn was EVERYONE WRONG!

The guy seems determined to win his job back, feeling pressured. Nazr is so out of sync.

slayermin
11-30-2005, 06:27 AM
Thank god for Bruce and Manu. As I was watching this game, it seemed like the Spurs switched on the auto-pilot after they took the early lead. Then the Lakers started scrapping for everything.

I certainly hope we don't play like this on Thursday.

Supergirl
11-30-2005, 08:19 AM
Nazr is better coming off the bench, it seems, because Rasho sometimes can't hit the basket and becomes a liablity on offense. But Rasho is much much better defensively.

Bowen rocks. I love that guy.

I love it when Tim and Tony struggle and we still win. Esp. because whenever Tim struggles he has a monster game the next night.

smeagol
11-30-2005, 08:49 AM
Esp. because whenever Tim struggles he has a monster game the next night.
I hope this is the case because to beat the Mavs, even if the are Howard-less, Tim needs to have a very good game.

spurschick
11-30-2005, 09:20 AM
At one point in the game, I saw Manu yelling at Nazr. It's not often that I see Spurs players snap like that at their teammates, so it stood out to me. All in all, Manu looked very frustrated with the team.

BigVee
11-30-2005, 09:35 AM
Yep, another very ordinary performance. Weak passes, little effort to stay in front of Odom, Bynum, the 18 year old rookie outplaying BOTH our centers, Tim resting on his laurels, TP with no chance of hitting an outside shot, Barry totally worthless. Yet, the team continues to win because of the talent level. When they get it together, and they will, it will look like the first 6 minutes of this game much more often. 11-3 and playing at about 75% of your capability. Look out.

Medvedenko
11-30-2005, 09:39 AM
Good game by the spurs. Kobe sucked hard last night, forcing way more shots than usual and not making his fair share of bullshit jumpers. Ugly game from him and he was the reason they lost that game. Lamar played really well, but couldn't play that much D agains TD. Other highlights were Sasha and Bynum, other than that....the Lakers in serious need for interior help. Kwame and George will be back soon, so that should help. Anyways, good game Spurs and I have to say that their depth is staggering, reminds of the old Portland Days.

ploto
11-30-2005, 09:52 AM
Nazr is better coming off the bench, it seems, because Rasho sometimes can't hit the basket and becomes a liablity on offense. But Rasho is much much better defensively.

I am sick of people repeating this over and over thinking it will make it somehow true. Rasho has the same FG % as Tim Duncan right now, and if people bothered to watch what happens away from the ball, they would see the screens he sets that get guys open jump shots and the way he seals defenders off to help the penetrators get inside and keep the shot blockers away. Helping your teammates score is part of contributing to the offense. The Spurs have a higher FG% when Rasho is on the floor- than off. Last night Nazr missed 2 lay-ups and then got blocked by Sasha all on the same possession. That is supposed to be a bigger offensive threat. There is a reason the Spurs were +9 with Rasho last night and -2 with Nazr. By the way, Rasho also is rebounding on the OFFENSIVE end at a higher rate per minute than Nazr this season (4.6 per 48 mins to 3.7). So much for that claim. And I agree with Kori on the defense. How many lay-ups did LA get when Nazr was in there and Smush Parker even got a baseline dunk. As a fan, I wished that Nazr was going to develop as more of a defensive threat, but from experience I have never expected it. He's been back with the team over a month now, and I don't even see slight improvement on the defensive end. And yes, Manu lit into him big time because Manu drove the player where he was supposed to and Nazr wasn't there.

pache100
11-30-2005, 09:55 AM

The first few minutes of the first quarter last night were the "Ra-Show"!!!

Ishta
11-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Tim to me looked like he just didn't feel well last night at all. Bowen was a monster unleashed...Just as long as they beat Dallas, I will be happy!

Alamode
11-30-2005, 10:28 AM
Kobe sucked hard last night, forcing way more shots than usual and not making his fair share of bullshit jumpers. Ugly game from him and he was the reason they lost that game.

Actually that gives Kobe too much credit and the Spurs not enough. Bowen's D against Kobe won the game, imo.

duncan_21
11-30-2005, 10:51 AM
I don't know about nazr setting bad picks. How good a pick is would be determined by the guy using the pick. i.e. does he fake towards the player setting the pick then run past his shoulder or does he just lazily run around the guy setting the pick?

Can't fault nazr for that unless he's setting them late or leaving before the guy using the pick gets to his spot on the floor. I didn't watch tues. game cause I live in iowa and don't have nba league pass.

angel_luv
11-30-2005, 10:52 AM
Zak you are on my bad guy list! What is this?!!?!?! :nope :nope :nope

I'll be glad when Rasho is traded so Nazr can get more minutes. :tu

Word! :D >>>>>

FromWayDowntown
11-30-2005, 11:27 AM

Actually, 82games agrees. In terms of net plus/minus, Rasho is +7.9, while Nazr is -9.7. In just floor time, the Spurs are +12 per night with Rasho on, while they're net zero with Nazr on. In either event, Rasho's play is much, much better for the Spurs most nights than Nazr's is -- for now, at least.

ploto
11-30-2005, 11:49 AM
Actually, 82games agrees. In terms of net plus/minus, Rasho is +7.9, while Nazr is -9.7. In just floor time, the Spurs are +12 per night with Rasho on, while they're net zero with Nazr on. In either event, Rasho's play is much, much better for the Spurs most nights than Nazr's is -- for now, at least.

It's always been that way, even in Rasho's limited time during the playoffs last season. That +12 on court is actually higher than both Duncan and Ginobili with Big Shot Rob heading the pack at +13.6. Sorry, but Oberto and Marks fans don't want to know their numbers.

It also provides some nice basis for how players play together. For example- when Duncan is in with Rasho he is +32 in 158 minutes. When Duncan is with Nazr he is only +3 in 56 minutes. This blows that whole notion that Nazr pairs better with Duncan than Rasho does. Interesting.

ducks
11-30-2005, 12:06 PM
tp played great in the first quarter after that it was like the spurs thought the lakers would just roll over and die

I was like attack the basket

FromWayDowntown
11-30-2005, 12:09 PM
I was surprised that the Spurs went so quickly away from their motion offense and didn't use pick and roll much in the 4th Quarter. A lot of 4 down and a lot of opportunities for Manu to freelance. In the last 6 minutes, I counted 1 screen/roll play, and on that one, Parker got to the rim for an easy layup. After that, they went right back to 4 down and the offense screeched to a halt again.

I couldn't see that the Lakers had done anything to really take the pick and roll away, so I wondered why the Spurs were so reluctant to go to that.

batman2883
11-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Smush Parker Is Pretty Good

GoSpurs21
11-30-2005, 12:17 PM
Rasho is 10 times better than Nazr right now.but doesnt TiMVP believe Pop is low balling Nazr so that the Spurs can pick him up cheap after the season (like it has nothing to do with Nazr taking responsibilities for his lazy D)?

come on Nazr, this is no way to play in a contract season.

leemajors
11-30-2005, 12:39 PM
the center in the spurs defense isn't really in there for offensive purposes (unless dunan has moved to c in a lineup). he is there for d and rebounds. any offense produced is simply gravy as long as they are rotating on d and boarding. my only worry is that the rash picked up fouls so fast, but kobe does that to the best of em.