PDA

View Full Version : Spurs depth chart

Pages : [1] 2

DAF86
06-24-2022, 11:21 AM
What you thinking vs what you want.

Who do we sign? Who gets traded? What's the rotation?

John B
06-24-2022, 11:37 AM
I think they should start Sochan from Day 1. The reason to bring him is not mess with that Keldon at 4. Sochan’s offense should be fine, and his help defense would greatly benefit Poeltl on man, Keldon’s too slow at SF, and lack of point-of-attack lockdown at guard. A lot to ask for a rookie, but I think Sochan relishes that challenge.

Malaki and Blake can play at Austin. But I think they should bring Malaki back asap. Blake is still very raw and needs more time at Austin.

Murray, Devin, Keldon, Sochan, Poeltl
Tre, Primo, J-Rich, Zollins, Londale
Blake, Weiskamp, Langford, KBD, Barlow

I think they can still try to get Myles Turner or Ayton, and include preferably McD/J-Rich and other assets. I just think there’s too many guards that a trade is forthcoming.

Mugen
06-24-2022, 11:39 AM
I'd explore what an Ayton S&T looks like tbh. Keldon, Murray, and Vassell will be up for extensions before you know it and this could be the last offsesason where they have meaningful cap space. Need to utilize it and pick up another asset like Ayton if you have the opportunity.

heyheymymy
06-24-2022, 12:07 PM
Murray/Jones/Primo
Vassell/Branham20/Wesley25
Johnson/McDermott/Langford
Free Agent?/Sochan9/KBD
Poeltl/Zollins/Lansdale

Trade JRich for space rent and future draft capital or an established PF

Can swing Primo to 3rd string SF and dump Langford when the PG experiment inevitably fails

Could SA pull.a sign and trade for Poeltl and Ayton swap? Then I suppose Sochan starts at PF with KBD backup?

DAF86
06-24-2022, 12:40 PM
I think they should start Sochan from Day 1. The reason to bring him is not mess with that Keldon at 4. Sochan’s offense should be fine, and his help defense would greatly benefit Poeltl on man, Keldon’s too slow at SF, and lack of point-of-attack lockdown at guard. A lot to ask for a rookie, but I think Sochan relishes that challenge.

Malaki and Blake can play at Austin. But I think they should bring Malaki back asap. Blake is still very raw and needs more time at Austin.

Murray, Devin, Keldon, Sochan, Poeltl
Tre, Primo, J-Rich, Zollins, Londale
Blake, Weiskamp, Langford, KBD, Barlow

I think they can still try to get Myles Turner or Ayton, and include preferably McD/J-Rich and other assets. I just think there’s too many guards that a trade is forthcoming.

What do you do with Walker?

DAF86
06-24-2022, 12:41 PM
Murray/Jones/Primo
Free Agent?/Sochan9/KBD
Poeltl/Zollins/Lansdale

Can swing Primo to 3rd string SF and dump Langford when the PG experiment inevitably fails

Could SA pull.a sign and trade for Poeltl and Ayton swap? Then I suppose Sochan starts at PF with KBD backup?

Nobody even remembers Lonnie anymore. :lol

JeffDuncan
06-24-2022, 12:44 PM

Drive him to the airport.

DJR210
06-24-2022, 12:49 PM
Drive him to the airport.

:lol

jhfenton
06-24-2022, 01:05 PM
Nobody even remembers Lonnie anymore. :lol

They remember him and the $6.3MM QO and mentally "drive him to the airport."

emanueldavidginobili
06-24-2022, 01:11 PM
All I know is that practices are going to be competitive as hell. A bunch of young guys trying to earn a spot in the rotation. Thought this rebuild would be torture but last season and this off season so far has been very exciting.

John B
06-24-2022, 01:20 PM

It is what it is. I mean FO drafted 2 guards. Unless they’re coolimg up a big package, with the huge cap and all. But yeah, the new guys need the minutes.

spurraider21
06-24-2022, 01:24 PM
one thing about Keldon at PF that worked was that, especially last season, he was a willing and capable outside shooter that helped ease some of the natural spacing issues with Murray/Poeltl

will be interesting. Sochan should definitely start, but he's going to have to prove he wont cause serious spacing issues

John B
06-24-2022, 01:27 PM
one thing about Keldon at PF that worked was that, especially last season, he was a willing and capable outside shooter that helped ease some of the natural spacing issues with Murray/Poeltl

will be interesting. Sochan should definitely start, but he's going to have to prove he wont cause serious spacing issues

Keldon can still do that at SF. Sochan is a great help-defender and should be able to hide Keldon.

Man the motor on Keldon + Sochan together on court :ihit

spurraider21
06-24-2022, 01:27 PM
we're going to need Vassell/Primo to pick up the slack from deep, too. hopefully Keldon can sustain. we know McBuckets, for all his flaws, is a willing and capable shooter. same with Josh Richardson. but we could be trying to move mcdermott, and richardson looks like an obvious midseason trade candidate as well

RC_Drunkford
06-24-2022, 01:41 PM
Sochan starting would most likely mess up the spacing. I still hope the Spurs make a run at Ayton or try to get a starting PF via trade. McDermott, Lonnie and J-Rich need to go

Dex
06-24-2022, 02:41 PM
Sochan starting would most likely mess up the spacing. I still hope the Spurs make a run at Ayton or try to get a starting PF via trade. McDermott, Lonnie and J-Rich need to go

Yeah, until Sochan can shoot straight, it would be a spacing nightmare. Eventually, I'd love to see a lineup like Murray, Richardson (for his shooting), Johnson, Sochan, Poeltl. That would give other teams fits defensively...but yeah, offense would be a challenge.

If Primo has a breakout year with better percentages, J-Rich becomes much more expendable.

If the Spurs really believe they can fix Sochan's shot (which I assume they do since they took him at 9), I doubt they go after Ayton...but that's just my gut feeling.

DAF86
06-24-2022, 02:56 PM
It is what it is. I mean FO drafted 2 guards. Unless they’re coolimg up a big package, with the huge cap and all. But yeah, the new guys need the minutes.

Sure. My question was more directed to "what kind of asset do you think the Spurs could get for Lonnie"?

BackHome
06-24-2022, 03:01 PM

If we don’t get Ayton then I think our starting line up won’t change much from last year. I definitely think all 3 players start in G League until the trade dead line in which hopefully we can flip McD and Richardson for either young talent or 1st round picks. Then after that give them some playing time obviously of the three Sochan will spend the most time with the big club. It’s Pops way to don’t fight it. Lol

mo7888
06-24-2022, 03:04 PM
Sure. My question was more directed to "what kind of asset do you think the Spurs could get for Lonnie"?

Cap space is an asset ..we can get cap space..

spurraider21
06-24-2022, 03:07 PM
If we don’t get Ayton then I think our starting line up won’t change much from last year. I definitely think all 3 players start in G League until the trade dead line in which hopefully we can flip McD and Richardson for either young talent or 1st round picks. Then after that give them some playing time obviously of the three Sochan will spend the most time with the big club. It’s Pops way to don’t fight it. Lol
i really dont anticipate Sochan spending time in the G-League. primo was a more obvious gleague candidate and even he only played 11-12 games in the gleague. i dont think vassell played a single gleague game. i dont believe Sochen will either. whether he starts right away is a different story. could see them wanting to pair Zollins and Sochen off the bench at first. assuming Lonnie isnt brought back, i would think at least one of Branham or Wesley (probably Branham) will have a spot on the big league roster right away as well, with Wesley probably getting more G-League time as he refines his shot

John B
06-24-2022, 03:08 PM

Nothing :lol

DAF86
06-24-2022, 03:36 PM
Nothing :lol

Wait, Lonnie is a free agent this offseason? I'm a little lost. :lol

SAGirl
06-24-2022, 03:38 PM
I'd explore what an Ayton S&T looks like tbh. Keldon, Murray, and Vassell will be up for extensions before you know it and this could be the last offsesason where they have meaningful cap space. Need to utilize it and pick up another asset like Ayton if you have the opportunity.
I am in this boat as well. Also think they need to make a win now move now too.

Atl Spur
06-24-2022, 03:39 PM
Kawhi came to the spurs with less skill than Sochan but some of you are having a panic attack about something the spurs obviously aren’t tripping over��

SAGirl
06-24-2022, 03:40 PM

I’d ship Jakob out and add Ayton. That’s really my preferred move.

lmbebo
06-24-2022, 03:42 PM
Too early to get into depth chart/roster. Free agency hasn't started yet.

Dex
06-24-2022, 03:57 PM
Wait, Lonnie is a free agent this offseason? I'm a little lost. :lol

Somebody hasn't been paying attention.

hoopdreams11
06-24-2022, 04:17 PM
I’d ship Jakob out and add Ayton. That’s really my preferred move.

What is going on with Ayton, it's something that Monte benched him. If he can't deal with Monte he certainly will have problems with Pop

TD 21
06-24-2022, 06:35 PM
At this writing, I'd say it's . . .

Starters: Johnson, McDermott, Poeltl, Vassell, Murray

Bench: Primo, Sochan, Collins, Jones, Richardson

Deep bench/G-League: Bates-Diop, Landale, Langford, Branham, Wesley, Wieskamp

Richardson could get traded, Langford will probably be waived if not included in a trade, while Bates-Diop, Landale and especially Wieskamp's roster spots are all up in the air as either salary ballast or roster space as needed.

heyheymymy
06-24-2022, 06:42 PM

Lonnie is off the books so you don't really have a contract to use to get a return for him at the moment. Maybe SA resigns him but with the 2 new SGs it's looking unlikely imo.

TD 21
06-24-2022, 06:46 PM
^ Forgot Barlow.

SAGirl
06-24-2022, 07:08 PM
What is going on with Ayton, it's something that Monte benched him. If he can't deal with Monte he certainly will have problems with Pop
stuff is more complicated than that... its been discussed all over here so I am not up for more of it... but its not something that disqualifies him for me.

XDT76
06-24-2022, 10:53 PM
At this writing, I'd say it's . . .

Starters: Johnson, McDermott, Poeltl, Vassell, Murray

Bench: Primo, Sochan, Collins, Jones, Richardson

Deep bench/G-League: Bates-Diop, Landale, Langford, Branham, Wesley, Wieskamp

Richardson could get traded, Langford will probably be waived if not included in a trade, while Bates-Diop, Landale and especially Wieskamp's roster spots are all up in the air as either salary ballast or roster space as needed.

I would prefer to swap J.Rich with McD. This would allow our starting lineup to be better all around.

FutureMan
06-24-2022, 11:06 PM
I would prefer to swap J.Rich with McD. This would allow our starting lineup to be better all around.

Depending on who is shooting their 3’s better, I could see that.

Plus it could help Richardsons trade value.

kobyz
06-24-2022, 11:22 PM
Murray/Primo/Jones
Vassell/Wesley
Johnson/Branham/Langford
McDermott/KBD
Sochan/Poeltl/Collins/Landale

kobyz
06-24-2022, 11:49 PM
Murray/Primo/Jones
Vassell/Wesley
Johnson/Branham/Langford
McDermott/KBD

Forgot J-Rich :
Murray/Primo/Jones
Vassell/J-Rich/Wesley
Johnson/Branham/Langford
McDermott/KBD

kobyz
06-25-2022, 12:04 AM
Forgot J-Rich :
Murray/Primo/Jones
Vassell/J-Rich/Wesley
Johnson/Branham/Langford
McDermott/KBD

In a dream off season we trade Keldon/Collins for Miles Turner, then snub Miles Bridges in free agency and we became!
Murray/Primo/Jones
Vassell/J-Rich/Wesley
Bridges/Branham/Langford
Sochan/McDermott/KBD
Turner/Poeltl/Landale

kobyz
06-25-2022, 12:21 AM
In a dream off season we trade Keldon/Collins for Miles Turner, then snub Miles Bridges in free agency and we became!
Murray/Primo/Jones
Vassell/J-Rich/Wesley
Bridges/Branham/Langford
Sochan/McDermott/KBD
Turner/Poeltl/Landale

Then in a wishful thinking we are going after Ayton in a S&T for Poeltl/J-Rich/McDermott and a future first, and we become:
Murray/Primo/Jones
Vassell/Wesley/Langford
Bridges/Branham/Wieskamp
Turner/Sochan/KBD
Ayton/Landale

poopbox
06-25-2022, 12:54 AM

Ayton's problem is that in the Suns system they just want a big who sets screens and rim runs and obviously that is a terrible use of a player who was the number one pick. He also has the problem of the offense being centered around paul and booker. Booker is just a so so ballhandler and initiator, and for all the greatness of Paul, he has only ever been able to play with a rim running lob big, and Ayton is so much more than that offensively. Remember how the better blake got and the more he was able to do on the floor the more friction it caused between him and chris until chris finally just left?

I like Monty but I also thought it was bush league of how he threw Ayton under the bus when they lost to the mavs. I don't remember him saying anything negative about Chris who finds some way to get hurt every fucking year when it matters most. I don't remember him saying anything about Booker who was letting every guard run around him while also getting stonewalled by DFS every time he got the ball. I don't remember him talking about Cam and Bridges shooting brick after brick on open 3's. But all of a sudden it's Ayton fault and he is the one getting benched and taking the brunt of your older veteran players not showing up and Monty himself getting hilariously outcoached by Jason Kidd. Monty did the same thing to Ayton that Pop did to Kyle Anderson and to a degree, Lonnie.

I also find it weird how its a problem for them to pay Ayton. It wasn't a problem to pay the always injured choke gawd Chris Paul, who surprised got hurt when it mattered the most again. It wasn't a problem to play Booker who was nothing more than an offensive side show on a terrible team. Remember that brief moment in time of point booker when the suns were saying they would play him like James Harden? That shit went so bad they had to go get a HOF point guard to try and fix it. No problem paying Bridges to make open 3's and play great defense but do nothing else? Don't know if I have seen Bridges dribble 100 times in 2 years. But when it's time to pay the guy who has sacrificed and played his role the way you wanted, it's a problem? I also find it weird that the first thing Monty did when he got to phoenix was tell Ayton he was the one who had to fit in and be a team player and its not all about him...when he is the number 1 pick and it probably should be all about him?

cutewizard
06-25-2022, 08:14 AM
Ayton to my Spurs

May it be!

cutewizard
06-25-2022, 08:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFHL57B7ctQ

cutewizard
06-27-2022, 03:46 AM
Primo
Vassell
KJ
Jeremy
Malaki
Blake
Barlow

We are set for the future gentlemen................!!!!!

cutewizard
06-27-2022, 03:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfpGL4JlCTc

cutewizard
06-27-2022, 03:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC4XsmL03rM

cutewizard
06-27-2022, 03:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=351jmR7hq2Q

cutewizard
06-27-2022, 03:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFhb0u1UI8o

cutewizard
06-27-2022, 04:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyIxoIuQOYk

cutewizard
06-27-2022, 04:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H00_A9JRvqo

cutewizard
06-27-2022, 04:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tQY9PphisY&t=188s

DAF86
06-29-2022, 09:46 PM
Primo, Branham, Vassell, Sochan, Barlow

Jones, Wesley, Wieskamp, Cacok, Landale

John B
06-29-2022, 10:49 PM
With the departure of DJ and the inevitable trading of Poeltl, McD and J-Rich, I think Pop would play heavy minutes to the young core including the rookies, most especially Sochan.

I believe Sochan will turn a lot of heads, and even in the running for ROY.

Go Spurs Go!

slick'81
06-29-2022, 10:51 PM
With the departure of DJ and the inevitable trading of Poeltl, McD and J-Rich, I think Pop would play heavy minutes to the young core including the rookies, most especially Sochan.

I believe Sochan will turn a lot of heads, and even in the running for ROY.

Go Spurs Go!

now were talking! Nice breakdown JB

John B
06-29-2022, 10:56 PM
now were talking! Nice breakdown JB

Release the Kraken :lol

https://youtu.be/7SqC_m3yUDU

Chinook
06-30-2022, 07:19 PM
So what is it now?

Jones, Primo, Wesley, Edwards (X-10) -- Think Tre's going to get a modest extension and be named the starter at least for now
Vassell, Richarson, Branham -- Richardson is like not long for the team, but currently, he'd be in the rotation
McDermott, Langford -- Functionally, one of the guards is going to slide over. With winning games not the biggest concern, I think Sochan will start as soon as he's viable (which could be immediately if Jakob is dealt)
Johnson, Sochan, KBD -- That Bates-Diop wasn't dealt instead of Landale means either the Spurs preferred Keita or the Hawks preferred receiving Jock. I'm going to be optimistic
Poeltl, Collins -- there's an open spot for a big here, maybe a starter if Poeltl is traded away, but unless Barlow is going to be penciled in for a call-up, depth would be nice.

TW: Barlow

That 15/20 spots taken care of. I haven't heard of them tendering any of the young two-way or converted players yet, so I'm not counting them on the roster. I assume at least Wieskamp will make it, but the Spurs could be keeping open roster spots for dumps.

slick'81
06-30-2022, 07:22 PM
Zollins
kj
mcdermoot
vassell
primo

that ahouod be good enough for last place

DAF86
06-30-2022, 07:58 PM
So what is it now?

Jones, Primo, Wesley, Edwards (X-10) -- Think Tre's going to get a modest extension and be named the starter at least for now
Vassell, Richarson, Branham -- Richardson is like not long for the team, but currently, he'd be in the rotation
McDermott, Langford -- Functionally, one of the guards is going to slide over. With winning games not the biggest concern, I think Sochan will start as soon as he's viable (which could be immediately if Jakob is dealt)
Johnson, Sochan, KBD -- That Bates-Diop wasn't dealt instead of Landale means either the Spurs preferred Keita or the Hawks preferred receiving Jock. I'm going to be optimistic
Poeltl, Collins -- there's an open spot for a big here, maybe a starter if Poeltl is traded away, but unless Barlow is going to be penciled in for a call-up, depth would be nice.

That 15/20 spots taken care of. I haven't heard of them tendering any of the young two-way or converted players yet, so I'm not counting them on the roster. I assume at least Wieskamp will make it, but the Spurs could be keeping open roster spots for dumps.

It makes no sense to start Jones over Primo. Just play the highest ceiling players as much as possible and hope the game starts to slow down for them.

Primo, Branham, Vassell, Sochan, a young center. Wesley as the 6th man.

Trade Poeltl, Keldon, McDermott, Richardson.

RC_Drunkford
06-30-2022, 08:04 PM
It makes no sense to start Jones over Primo. Just play the highest ceiling players as much as possible and hope the game starts to slow down for them.

you don't trade Keldon

mo7888
06-30-2022, 08:08 PM
you don't trade Keldon

It just depends on what the offer is....but he's not looking at an overpaid max extension so you don't have to move him...just be opportunistic if there's a good deal..

spurs1990
06-30-2022, 08:18 PM
Johnson will get the same White/Murray tier extension. If his agent thinks he's worth more, sayanora.

Depth assuming Poetle is dealt - subject to change if Spurs have to sign someone to meet the cap floor.
PG Primo
SG Vassell
SF Johnson
PF McDermott
C Sochan (given Poetle is dealt)

2nd team
PG Jones
SG Wesley
SF Branham
PF Richardson
C Collins

Should be enough to win about 20-30 games and be in the hunt for the top (bottom) 3 record.

mystargtr34
06-30-2022, 08:26 PM

Pretty much.

Spurs need to figure out what to do with Keldon in terms of getting him to sign an extension now or risk losing him for not much next off-season if some team throws a stupid amount of money at him. He could be a 20 and 7 guy this season with all the extra touches to go around, albeit on a low win tanking team.

If they cant get him to sign a reasonable extension now, you look to trade him for a 1st.

KingKev
06-30-2022, 08:28 PM
Johnson will get the same White/Murray tier extension. If his agent thinks he's worth more, sayanora.

Depth assuming Poetle is dealt - subject to change if Spurs have to sign someone to meet the cap floor.
PG Primo
SG Vassell
SF Johnson
PF McDermott
C Sochan (given Poetle is dealt)

2nd team
PG Jones
SG Wesley
SF Branham
PF Richardson
C Collins

Should be enough to win about 20-30 games and be in the hunt for the top (bottom) 3 record.

Not that this matters but for some idiots knowing Klutch represents Keldon will have them shitting their panties.

DAF86
06-30-2022, 08:52 PM
you don't trade Keldon

Keldon isn't a long term piece, imho. He isn't neither a SF nor a PF. He's also good enough to make the Spurs win more games this upcoming season than they should, but not good enough to get paid what he's probably going to ask. Just trade him for a firs round pick and save the bother, tbh.

RC_Drunkford
06-30-2022, 08:57 PM
Keldon isn't a long term piece, imho. He isn't neither a SF nor a PF. He's also good enough to make the Spurs win more games this upcoming season than they should, but not good enough to get paid what he's probably going to ask. Just trade him for a firs round pick and save the bother, tbh.

you still don't understand how the Spurs operate do you? You let Keldon sign an extension, let him be first option this year so he averages high numbers and THEN you trade him when his value is high. We literally just did the same thing with Murray and White.

DAF86
06-30-2022, 09:11 PM
you still don't understand how the Spurs operate do you? You let Keldon sign an extension, let him be first option this year so he averages high numbers and THEN you trade him when his value is high. We literally just did the same thing with Murray and White.

I don't think Keldon's value can go much higher. He's already worth a FRP, imho. I don't see any team giving up anything more than that for a guy putting up empty stats on a tanking team. If anything, the value can go down, if his 3pt shooting reverts back to previous form.

cutewizard
07-01-2022, 08:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP58VNpQ0Xs

mo7888
07-01-2022, 08:59 AM
I don't think Keldon's value can go much higher. He's already worth a FRP, imho. I don't see any team giving up anything more than that for a guy putting up empty stats on a tanking team. If anything, the value can go down, if his 3pt shooting reverts back to previous form.

It's a gamble either way...if someone that I expected to be a 12-17 pick next year offered me a lightly (top 3 protection) protected pick in this year's draft I'd pull the trigger...if that offer isn't there I believe I'd wait and do what RC said...

R. DeMurre
07-01-2022, 09:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PBVSAoUk-w

KingKev
07-01-2022, 09:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP58VNpQ0Xs

haha which one of you on ST is Stan the Spurs Fan?

Chinook
07-01-2022, 10:01 AM

It totally makes sense to invest in Jones. Rebuilding teams don't just play their highly drafted players. That's how you get guys like Dort and Covington. Sign Jones to a decent extension and let him develop into an average starting PG. Then deal him if Primo beats him out. Rebuilding teams don't piss away value to gamble. They aren't goijg and to trade Keldon with no one on the roster to play his position. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Keldon is better than Murray. He could be a rotation player on a contending team or in the very least maintain trade value on a bigger contract.

mo7888
07-01-2022, 10:04 AM
It totally makes sense to invest in Jones. Rebuilding teams don't just play their highly drafted players. That's how you get guys like Dort and Covington. Sign Jones to a decent extension and let him develop into an average starting PG. Then deal him if Primo beats him out. Rebuilding teams don't piss away value to gamble. They aren't goijg and to trade Keldon with no one on the roster to play his position. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Keldon is better than Murray. He could be a rotation player on a contending team or in the very least maintain trade value on a bigger contract.

That's all true and in addition to it Tre is the kind of PG that can run the offense and get others in position to play the right way...and that very valuable for such a young team.

DAF86
07-01-2022, 10:59 AM

Never said the opposite, tbh.

What it doesn't make sense is to invest more in Jones than Primo. You start Primo, play him around 30 minutes, and make Jones the backup. That's what any sensible organization would do.

Chinook
07-01-2022, 11:10 AM
Never said the opposite, tbh.

What it doesn't make sense is to invest more in Jones than Primo. You start Primo, play him around 30 minutes, and make Jones the backup. That's what any sensible organization would do.

Not really. You can develop Primo both by himself and next to another ball-handler. There's no competition of investment. A sensible organization would see a guy with an easy development curve toward giving them value and not waste it by trying to force an All-Teen lineup to start. Again, you get those gems by not being elitist with your rotation. Both Philly and OKC had young guys they could played instead of the lower-borns who earned the minutes.

DAF86
07-01-2022, 11:36 AM
Not really. You can develop Primo both by himself and next to another ball-handler. There's no competition of investment. A sensible organization would see a guy with an easy development curve toward giving them value and not waste it by trying to force an All-Teen lineup to start. Again, you get those gems by not being elitist with your rotation. Both Philly and OKC had young guys they could played instead of the lower-borns who earned the minutes.

There is, though. You only have so many minutes and roles to go around. If the rumours are true, and the Spurs see Primo as the PG of the future, then, as a tanking/developing team, the most reasonable thing to do is to start him at PG.

You would be still playing Jones as a backup, and if he ends up proving to be the better player going forward, you can always make the switch. But, to begin, you have to give the primary role to the guy you project will have the highest ceiling.

Chinook
07-01-2022, 11:58 AM
There is, though. You only have so many minutes and roles to go around. If the rumours are true, and the Spurs see Primo as the PG of the future, then, as a tanking/developing team, the most reasonable thing to do is to start him at PG.

You would be still playing Jones as a backup, and if he ends up proving to be the better player going forward, you can always make the switch. But, to begin, you have to give the primary role to the guy you project will have the highest ceiling.

You give all the roles to the people who earn them. There's a great chance that Jones is the better and more valuable player than Primo going forward. This isn't some old head they're looking to sign. This is a guy who was drafted a year before Primo who played well during this time on the court. You don't have to give Josh 30 minutes as a starter to develop him. He's competing with Vassell, Johnson and maybe another perimeter player for touches. You can have him play more of a combo-guard role as he continues to develop his feel for the game.

Even for tankers what you should want is a team that plays well but still loses games. You want them to be as ready to take advantage of the talent infusion they get as possible. Nothing is gained from purposefully sabotaging the flow of the team. If Primo makes the big strides and is better than or at least close to Jones, starting him makes sense. But he doesn't have to make his big leap this year. If he does, it'll be because of this off-season work, not getting a starting job right away.

DAF86
07-01-2022, 12:53 PM
You give all the roles to the people who earn them. There's a great chance that Jones is the better and more valuable player than Primo going forward. This isn't some old head they're looking to sign. This is a guy who was drafted a year before Primo who played well during this time on the court. You don't have to give Josh 30 minutes as a starter to develop him. He's competing with Vassell, Johnson and maybe another perimeter player for touches. You can have him play more of a combo-guard role as he continues to develop his feel for the game.

Even for tankers what you should want is a team that plays well but still loses games. You want them to be as ready to take advantage of the talent infusion they get as possible. Nothing is gained from purposefully sabotaging the flow of the team. If Primo makes the big strides and is better than or at least close to Jones, starting him makes sense. But he doesn't have to make his big leap this year. If he does, it'll be because of this off-season work, not getting a starting job right away.

So, let me guess this straight:

-Primo finished last season in the starting lineup.
-The Spurs see Primo as the PG of the future.
-The Spurs traded their all-star starting PG, and are in full rebuilding mode.
-But you think the smartest thing would be to demote Primo back to the bench, to give the starting role to a player the organization doesn't see as having as much potential?

Ok. You can have any opinion you want, just know that it isn't the most popular or logical one, tbh.

DAF86
07-01-2022, 12:55 PM
"Get", not "guess"**

Why can't we edit posts anymore, a site malefunction, or something done by design? If it's the latter, logic is missing all around, tbh.

mo7888
07-01-2022, 02:07 PM

-But you think the smartest thing would be to demote Primo back to the bench, to give the starting role to a player the organization doesn't see as having as much potential?

Ok. You can have any opinion you want, just know that it isn't the most popular or logical one, tbh.

I read it as him simply saying...let them compete and start whoever is further along at the start of the season... that's not really a controversial take...they're both getting plenty of minutes but you want your young guys competing..

DAF86
07-01-2022, 02:19 PM
I read it as him simply saying...let them compete and start whoever is further along at the start of the season... that's not really a controversial take...they're both getting plenty of minutes but you want your young guys competing..

Even if he said what you are thinking he implied, I would have to disagree because if you ask me, I might have to say that Jones played better than Primo last season, yet Josh was the one that end up in the starting lineup. And I think that's the right choice. Sometimes it isn't about who's playing better in the moment, sometimes it is about who you think will give you more benefits in the grand scheme of things. It is like when Murray was given the starting role over Mills, despite Patty being the much more productive player at the time.

Chinook
07-01-2022, 02:20 PM

Primo played off-guard with the Spurs with or without Murray.
When Murray was out, Jones stepped in.
Jones is a third-year player who showed massive improvement
Jones is eligible for a modest long-term extension
Primo may or may not have his big jump this year

Jones is young and could be am average starting PG, which is worth a lot. If it's possible to get that out of him AND sign him to a cheap deal, he'll be a tremendous asset, even in the event Primo develops. That's why it's worth doing.

The opposite take is that even if Jones is playing well and Primo doesn't take his leap, starting Josh makes more sense because of ceiling. But that take assumes that Primo starting is the better long-term move for his development. It's d-league logic all over again. If he's better, he's better. His youth can be a tie-breaker. But if he's not, it's better for him, Tre and the team if Jones gets a nice extension and starts. Jones is a good prospect in his own right and shouldn't be ignored because of theoretical ceiling. Once Primo catches up, you can trade Tre away for a tidy sum or just have a great backup PG locked into a reasonable deal. But that has to actually happen first.

DAF86
07-01-2022, 02:22 PM
Even if he said what you are thinking he implied, I would have to disagree because if you ask me, I might have to say that Jones played better than Primo last season, yet Josh was the one that end up in the starting lineup. And I think that's the right choice. Sometimes it isn't about who's playing better in the moment, sometimes it is about who you think will give you more benefits in the grand scheme of things. It is like when Murray was given the starting role over Mills, despite Patty being the much more productive player at the time.

And the Spurs did that while competing for championships. Now, that they are on full rebuilding mode, all the more reason to play the guy with bigger upside, than the guy that gives you more productivity in the present.

Dejounte
07-01-2022, 02:24 PM
Primo ended up in the starting line up because he can play the 2 and 3. Tre can’t. It wasn’t about Tre being better than Primo at the time. Primo could be better but Tre was not even his competition at the time. Last season, Primo mostly played the 3. This can be backed up by basketballreference. This is not to say there’s no plans to play Primo at the point in the future— Nobody knows that. But you can’t use any data from the past because it’s not relevant at all when you’re trying to compare the two.

mo7888
07-01-2022, 02:25 PM
And the Spurs did that while competing for championships. Now, that they are on full rebuilding mode, all the more reason to play the guy with bigger upside, than the guy that gives you more productivity in the present.

I hear ya...I just want my upside guy competing for that spot and not just 'given' it...I also think that unless Tre has improved his 3 point shot a good bit (and I hope he has) that Primo will compete and win out..

Dejounte
07-01-2022, 02:28 PM
“It wasnt about Primo being better than Tre at the time is what I meant” fucking no edit button

DAF86
07-01-2022, 02:32 PM

Jones is young and could be am average starting PG, which is worth a lot. If it's possible to get that out of him AND sign him to a cheap deal, he'll be a tremendous asset, even in the event Primo develops. That's why it's worth doing.

The opposite take is that even if Jones is playing well and Primo doesn't take his leap, starting Josh makes more sense because of ceiling. But that take assumes that Primo starting is the better long-term move for his development. It's d-league logic all over again. If he's better, he's better. His youth can be a tie-breaker. But if he's not, it's better for him, Tre and the team if Jones gets a nice extension and starts. Jones is a good prospect in his own right and shouldn't be ignored because of theoretical ceiling. Once Primo catches up, you can trade Tre away for a tidy sum or just have a great backup PG locked into a reasonable deal. But that has to actually happen first.

If Jones is up for an extension, why inflate his price by making him a starter? Just play him at his projected role as a backup PG and pay what you have to pay for him.

At this point in time, Jones projected role for his entire career is backup PG. Primo's projected role, at least according to what the rumours say the Spurs think, is starting PG. Why reverse that to start this season? Just start the season according to their perceived potentials and don't mess with rankings within the roster. If, as the season progresses, Jones proves that he can be more than a backup PG and/or Primo proves to be a flop, then you can make the switch.

Chinook
07-01-2022, 02:41 PM
Primo started at two-guard next to Murray to end the year. Jones started at PG during that last stretch when Murray was sidelined They didn't just go with Josh and have Tre come off the bench.

If it makes you feel better, I think they might both start with Vassell, Johnson and Poeltl. But folks wanting Sochan or McDermott to start disagree there.

Chinook
07-01-2022, 02:44 PM
If Jones is up for an extension, why inflate his price by making him a starter? Just play him at his projected role as a backup PG and pay what you have to pay for him.

At this point in time, Jones projected role for his entire career is backup PG. Primo's projected role, at least according to what the rumours say the Spurs think, is starting PG. Why reverse that to start this season? Just start the season according to their perceived potentials and don't mess with rankings within the roster. If, as the season progresses, Jones proves that he can be more than a backup PG and/or Primo proves to be a flop, then you can make the switch.

Jones can only sign for up to the MLE. For the Spurs that's nothing. If he's a starter-worthy PG, you don't play games to save a bit of money.

Almost all of their growth this year is likely happening now. Players have their gains mostly during the summers. If Jones is better in September, he's likely still going to be better in April.

DAF86
07-01-2022, 02:46 PM
Primo started at two-guard next to Murray to end the year. Jones started at PG during that last stretch when Murray was sidelined They didn't just go with Josh and have Tre come off the bench.

If it makes you feel better, I think they might both start with Vassell, Johnson and Poeltl. But folks wanting Sochan or McDermott to start disagree there.

If the rumours of the Spurs wanting Primo to play PG are real (and they must be, since all the other rumours were) then starting him at SG doesn't make sense. It isn't about what makes me feel better, it is about what makes the most sense for the path the Spurs want to take.

BackHome
07-01-2022, 08:27 PM

This + 1

JeffDuncan
07-02-2022, 12:15 PM
If Jones is up for an extension, …

Jones is signed through next season. His salary, 1.7M, is not guaranteed now, but will be guaranteed if he is on the roster when the season begins.

The notion of an extension for Jones is only another of Chinook’s little forays into feeble mindedness. The Spurs are rebuilding. The only basis for giving any of the players an extension, now, is if it would somehow facilitate trading them. That is not the case with Jones.

If a player had performed well on a sixty-win team, that would be a fact of major significance. But performing well, in a backup role, on a 34-win team is meaningless for what the Spurs are doing.

The Spurs are better off, at this time, with a bad backup guard, not a good one.

offset formation
07-02-2022, 12:26 PM

Quite a bit of assumption that Primo will in fact take off in here, even if not next year. I very much doubt he ever takes off IF he's pigeonholed into the PG role. I think he has a bright future as a wing, assuming he is actually utilized there and his shot redesign takes form.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
07-04-2022, 07:23 AM
Tre
Vassell
Doug
Keldon
Poeltl

Primo
Richardson
Diop
Sochan
Zollins

John B
07-04-2022, 02:29 PM
I think they should commit to Primo as Spurs starting PG from day 1, and avoid any future DJ/White scenario:

Primo, Vassell, Keldon, Sochan, Poeltl
Tre, Brahnam, J-Rich, McD, Zollins

DAF86
07-04-2022, 03:11 PM
I think they should commit to Primo as Spurs starting PG from day 1, and avoid any future DJ/White scenario:

Primo, Vassell, Keldon, Sochan, Poeltl
Tre, Brahnam, J-Rich, McD, Zollins

Damn, that's not that bad of a rotation. Spurs need to trade Poeltl, Richardson and McDermott as soon as possible.

TD 21
07-04-2022, 03:25 PM
Damn, that's not that bad of a rotation. Spurs need to trade Poeltl, Richardson and McDermott as soon as possible.

:lmao The only primary ball handler/creator is a small guard who can't/won't shoot 3s, three of the players are entirely unproven and the best player is merely a solid starter.

KingKev
07-04-2022, 05:18 PM
Romeo Langford probs gets a chance now just saying.

wildbill2u
07-05-2022, 05:42 AM
I don't see why folks are so high on Vassell as a starting SG or SF. 36% puts him at NUMBER 89 in the league on 3 pt average. If these rookies don't come through with some better shooting than that, we are probably slated to have one of the weakest offensive teams in the league.

KingKev
07-05-2022, 05:44 AM
I don't see why folks are so high on Vassell as a starting SG or SF. 36% puts him at NUMBER 89 in the league on 3 pt average. If these rookies don't come through with some better shooting than that, we are probably slated to have one of the weakest offensive teams in the league.

We absolutely will which is great.

DAF86
07-05-2022, 10:16 AM
:lmao The only primary ball handler/creator is a small guard who can't/won't shoot 3s, three of the players are entirely unproven and the best player is merely a solid starter.

That still won't get us a bottom 3 record. We need to trade Poeltl and Richardson ASAP.

Dhbsr555
07-05-2022, 10:23 AM
Yep with poodle and jrich on the team we will win more than we would like

DAF86
07-05-2022, 10:36 AM

Because it isn't all about %, Vassell is probably our second best defensive player, behind Poeltl.

KingKev
07-05-2022, 10:40 AM
That still won't get us a bottom 3 record. We need to trade Poeltl and Richardson ASAP.

Agreed. This team will struggle but the effort and system alone will have you near play-in contention. Remove a Jak and JRich and we are def bottom 5. Problem with that is morale might plummet when we are losing regularly by 20.

exstatic
07-05-2022, 11:02 AM
Murray/Jones/Primo
Free Agent?/Sochan9/KBD
Poeltl/Zollins/Lansdale

We
Are
Not
Signing
Or
Trading
For
Level
Players

Players out, picks in. Players in, picks come with them. We’re collecting assets, not spending them. Wake up.

DAF86
07-05-2022, 11:05 AM
We
Are
Not
Signing
Or
Trading
For
Level
Players

Players out, picks in. Players in, picks come with them. We’re collecting assets, not spending them. Wake up.

Dude, you are quoting a week old post. I'm pretty sure the dude realized we are tanking after the Murray trade.

KingKev
07-05-2022, 11:08 AM
We
Are
Not
Signing
Or
Trading
For
Level
Players

Why do you respond (like an asshole) to posts from a week ago when the facts have changed? He clearly posted that BEFORE Murray was moved.

KingKev
07-05-2022, 11:11 AM
Dude, you are quoting a week old post. I'm pretty sure the dude realized we are tanking after the Murray trade.

Abe Simpson aka exstatic

FutureMan
07-05-2022, 02:03 PM
Agreed. This team will struggle but the effort and system alone will have you near play-in contention. Remove a Jak and JRich and we are def bottom 5. Problem with that is morale might plummet when we are losing regularly by 20.

Morale for who exactly? That’s kinda the bittersweet part to this team. None of them have really seen the playoffs or a true winning team. Especially if Poeltl and Richardson are traded.

KingKev
07-05-2022, 02:11 PM
Morale for who exactly? That’s kinda the bittersweet part to this team. None of them have really seen the playoffs or a true winning team. Especially if Poeltl and Richardson are traded.

Last year we were competitive on most nights with a playoff spot in reach. This year that probably changes.

Pop has been checked out for years but some of the players might start checking out also.
unless their jobs are on the line. Getting slapped by 20 every night will wear on you.

spurraider21
07-05-2022, 02:35 PM
haha which one of you on ST is Stan the Spurs Fan? Black Stan

FutureMan
07-05-2022, 03:52 PM
Last year we were competitive on most nights with a playoff spot in reach. This year that probably changes.

Pop has been checked out for years but some of the players might start checking out also.
unless their jobs are on the line. Getting slapped by 20 every night will wear on you.

I hope the players see this team for the opportunity that it is. A franchise without a franchise player. A chance to prove they can be that guy or even to be the part of the next big three. Sure the Spurs are mostly built on #1 picks but Parker and Ginobili proved anyone can be that #2 or #3 guy.

jjspur
07-05-2022, 04:56 PM

It will wear on the players but it will wear on the fans as well. Who wants to see a team down by 20 every night ? At least last season you could see the players give 110% on most nights. They were fun to watch and on some nights they actually beat a good team. Not sure you see that this season. After deliberately tanking it's hard to regain fan support.

As a fan of basketball, I understand why they are tanking, I'm just not happy with what will eventually be a lost season.

KingKev
07-05-2022, 05:25 PM
It will wear on the players but it will wear on the fans as well. Who wants to see a team down by 20 every night ? At least last season you could see the players give 110% on most nights. They were fun to watch and on some nights they actually beat a good team. Not sure you see that this season. After deliberately tanking it's hard to regain fan support.

As a fan of basketball, I understand why they are tanking, I'm just not happy with what will eventually be a lost season.

I questioned my fandom for the first time in 27 years when the Murray trade went down but in subsequent days I was given comfort there is once again a strategy and direction in place which is more than I can say throughout the DDR era.

If they make a marginal win now move like pursuing Sexton i’ll consider splitting my fandom with another organization who is more with the times but it appears PATFO finally realized they had their heads up their asses and are choosing a direction.

Chinook
07-05-2022, 06:00 PM
Jones, Primo, Wesley
Vassell, Richardson, Branham, Edwards (X-10)
McDermott, Bates-Diop, Langford, Wieskamp (RFA)
Johnson, Sochan, Roby,
Poeltl, Collins, Dieng

I count 18 of 20 training camp spots filled. Jordan Hall and Darius Days are reported to have signed summer league deals, but those don't count for 20-player limit. It would be interesting to see who gets waived if the Spurs need a spot, though they could do a three-for-one right now and keep everyone they signed. The Dieng, Edwards and Barlow signings might all still be pending, so they could do something initially and then sign them once the roster space opens up. All of those deals were able to be signed during the moratorium, though, so maybe they're inked. Still, it will be interesting to see how they use spots. That they were willing to use two right now means they might not be expecting any huge wheeling and dealing.

Seventyniner
07-05-2022, 06:09 PM
Jones, Primo, Wesley
Johnson, Sochan, Roby,
Poeltl, Collins, Dieng

I count 18 of 20 training camp spots filled. Jordan Hall and Darius Days are reported to have signed summer league deals, but those don't count for 20-player limit. It would be interesting to see who gets waived if the Spurs need a spot, though they could do a three-for-one right now and keep everyone they signed. The Dieng, Edwards and Barlow signings might all still be pending, so they could do something initially and then sign them once the roster space opens up. All of those deals were able to be signed during the moratorium, though, so maybe they're inked. Still, it will be interesting to see how they use spots. That they were willing to use two right now means they might not be expecting any huge wheeling and dealing.

Who do you think is the most expendable in case the Spurs do participate in some mega-deal that has them absorbing multiple players? And 1+ picks, of course.

I'm guessing Edwards, Wieskamp, Langford, KBD, probably in that order?

John B
07-05-2022, 06:17 PM
Jones, Primo, Wesley
Johnson, Sochan, Roby,
Poeltl, Collins, Dieng

Seriously I’d throw my TV if I see that starting line-up, especially with McD and Keldon still at 3 and 4. The only thing that’s keeping me sane is the possibility of not seeing Keldon at 4 ever again with the pickup of Sochan and signing of Roby. That McD and Keldon combo is just next to Mills/Forbes/Beli trio as the worst. Please no more.

Chinook
07-05-2022, 07:22 PM
Who do you think is the most expendable in case the Spurs do participate in some mega-deal that has them absorbing multiple players? And 1+ picks, of course.

I'm guessing Edwards, Wieskamp, Langford, KBD, probably in that order?

Edwards for sure. They'll probably dump him pretty soon and have him sign with Austin. There's a chance he beats out Wieskamp for the two-way spot, though. I have the other three players on your list basically even. Langford and Wieskamp both have option value, with the former probably having more upside and the latter a clearer role. Then KBD is a more realized player, but you could argue he shouldn't play after the team acquired these forwards. I expect that he could be thrown in to add a bit of value for a trade, as he's still a decent 15th man on most teams.

Seriously I’d throw my TV if I see that starting line-up, especially with McD and Keldon still at 3 and 4. The only thing that’s keeping me sane is the possibility of not seeing Keldon at 4 ever again with the pickup of Sochan and signing of Roby. That McD and Keldon combo is just next to Mills/Forbes/Beli trio as the worst. Please no more.

They're definitely going to be playing Johnson at PF a lot. It's his best position offensively, and it might be his best position defensively too. With the Roby acquisition, I do think Johnson will spend more time on the perimeter, but that's because guarding outside the paint is supposedly not Isaiah's strength. As I've said before, I'd like Keldon to go where the favorable matchup is for him, and with Roby, he might not have the same flexibility to hide as he would with Sochan. McDermott is going to play if he's on the team, though, and he makes a ton of sense with the starters. Roby starting and McD/Sochan off the bench is about the best outcome I could see from your perspective. The Spurs aren't trying to be good right now, so that rotation could work, but I'd worry about that starting front court on both ends.

DAF86
07-05-2022, 07:24 PM
Spurs need to trade Poeltl, Richardson, Collins and McDermott and start something like this:

Primo
Vassell
Keldon
Sochan
A young C (Barlow, for the time being)

Then, off the bench:

Jones
Wesley
Malakai
Roby
Dieng

I'm not oppossed to trading Keldon either.

KingKev
07-05-2022, 07:27 PM
Spurs need to trade Poeltl, Richardson, Collins and McDermott and start something like this:

Primo
Vassell
Keldon
Sochan
A young C (Barlow, for the time being)

Then, off the bench:

Jones
Wesley
Malakai
Roby
Dieng

I'm not oppossed to trading Keldon either.

Extend Keldon on a reasonable or Spurs family / frugal discount deal, let him look like an all-star and get another 2 FRPs.

Chinook
07-05-2022, 07:28 PM
Also, as I mentioned before, Roby will play quite a bit of center for the Spurs. I took what Wright was saying to mean the Spurs want to play positionless basketball, especially in their front court. Roby and Sochan are likely going to be mainly forwards with the Dieng acquisition, but going forward, I expect the Spurs to want move-and-shoot centers, even if they're not that tall. I could completely see all three of Johnson, Sochan and Roby playing together in some lineups. If you add in Primo and Vassell, and you get a pretty switchable unit.

mystargtr34
07-06-2022, 12:34 AM
Also, as I mentioned before, Roby will play quite a bit of center for the Spurs. I took what Wright was saying to mean the Spurs want to play positionless basketball, especially in their front court. Roby and Sochan are likely going to be mainly forwards with the Dieng acquisition, but going forward, I expect the Spurs to want move-and-shoot centers, even if they're not that tall. I could completely see all three of Johnson, Sochan and Roby playing together in some lineups. If you add in Primo and Vassell, and you get a pretty switchable unit.

Agree, it seems the spurs have made a point of getting some versatility given Wrights comments about Sochan.

I see it this way

Primo-Jones-Wesley
Vassell-Richardson-Branham
Keldon-Doug-Langford
Sochan-Roby-KBD
Poeltl-Collins-Dieng

Richardson likely gets moved before the deadline imo for (hopefully) a FRP. Branham slides up and gets more minutes if he's ready.

Poeltl I can still see the Spurs going a few ways with. If they cant get him to sign an extension this off-season I think they move him asap. Not sure how great the FRP will be in that case as he may be considered a 1 year rental. If they get him to sign an extension then he starts the season with the Spurs and closer to the trade deadline the Spurs assess the direction of the team and therefore what they do with Poeltl.

Keldon may start the season at the 4 but ultimately I think once Sochan is ready the Spurs move him into the SL to maximise the defensive potential of Jak-Sochan-Vassell. Keldon slides down to his natural position at the 3.

Sochan and Roby will both see minutes as 5's in more versatile lineups and even together at the 4-5 spots.

venitian navigator
07-06-2022, 01:12 AM
Next moves. First :Sign and trade for Ayton on a relevant but non max deal giving back to Phoenix just Poeltl and another x player. Second :Trade for Ben Simmons. Third : use next season just for stealth tanking using all the mad scientists experiments Pop can imagine just to develop and maximize the tools of all players on the roster.
Then next season with a top draft choice and another first round pick around we'll be back to playing seriously... Watch out NBA����

John B
07-06-2022, 02:52 AM
Agree, it seems the spurs have made a point of getting some versatility given Wrights comments about Sochan.

I see it this way

Primo-Jones-Wesley
Vassell-Richardson-Branham
Keldon-Doug-Langford
Sochan-Roby-KBD
Poeltl-Collins-Dieng

Richardson likely gets moved before the deadline imo for (hopefully) a FRP. Branham slides up and gets more minutes if he's ready.

Poeltl I can still see the Spurs going a few ways with. If they cant get him to sign an extension this off-season I think they move him asap. Not sure how great the FRP will be in that case as he may be considered a 1 year rental. If they get him to sign an extension then he starts the season with the Spurs and closer to the trade deadline the Spurs assess the direction of the team and therefore what they do with Poeltl.

Keldon may start the season at the 4 but ultimately I think once Sochan is ready the Spurs move him into the SL to maximise the defensive potential of Jak-Sochan-Vassell. Keldon slides down to his natural position at the 3.

Sochan and Roby will both see minutes as 5's in more versatile lineups and even together at the 4-5 spots.

With that line-up Spurs may even get a better record than last year. Maybe an unpopular opinion, but the ball stops at DJ with his crossover elbow shots (ala DDR somewhat). I think without him the ball will move better specially with players in their natural positions. With the development of Primo, Devin and Keldon it’s not impossible that they could replace DJ’s scoring production (like they did last year with Demar’s). Still it would be fun to see them not getting overmatched at positions.

DAF86
07-13-2022, 01:22 PM
Primo-Vassell-Keldon-Sochan-Barlow

Jones-Wesley-Branham-Roby-Dieng

I would like to see that rotation for the entire season.

DAF86
07-13-2022, 01:25 PM
I was forgetting Days. I wouldn't mind having him on the mix.

mo7888
07-13-2022, 02:38 PM
Next moves. First :Sign and trade for Ayton on a relevant but non max deal giving back to Phoenix just Poeltl and another x player. Second :Trade for Ben Simmons. Third : use next season just for stealth tanking using all the mad scientists experiments Pop can imagine just to develop and maximize the tools of all players on the roster.
Then next season with a top draft choice and another first round pick around we'll be back to playing seriously... Watch out NBA����

I don't think you can stealth tank with that lineup.

Simmons, Tre
Primo, Richardson
KJ, Vassell
McDermott, Sochan
Ayton, Collins

That lineup might make the playoffs (if Simmons actually plays)

TD 21
07-17-2022, 05:45 PM
It's pointless to do a current one because a combination of common sense and timvp's reporting tells us that they won't go into the season with this roster. Even if Poeltl and/or Richardson aren't traded beforehand, a rotational PG will almost certainly be acquired, while Bates-Diop and Langford's roster spots are up in the air.

Once all that business is complete and the rookies have gotten some seasoning . . .

Starters: Sochan, Johnson, Collins, Vassell, TBD

Bench: McDermott, Jones, Dieng, Branham, Primo, Roby

Deep bench/G-League: Wesley, TBD x 3, Wieskamp (TW?), Barlow (TW)

scott
07-17-2022, 07:55 PM
Just give Wesley heavy rotation minutes now tbh

KingKev
07-23-2022, 09:53 AM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10042458-ranking-the-nbas-best-big-3s-right-now

are they sleeping on our big three of KJ, Vassell and Primo? National media never has love for the Spurs!!!

cd021
07-24-2022, 11:49 PM
At the moment:

Primo, Vassell, Johnson, Sochan, and Poeltl
Jones, Branham, Richardson, McDermott, Collins
Wesley, Langford, KBD, Roby, Diop

Barlow, Hall

Full tank mode (after they trade Poeltl, McDermott, and J-Rich):

Primo, Vassell, Johnson, Sochan, and Collins
Jones, Wesley, Branham, Roby/KBD, Collins
Langford, Diop, and trade filler

Barlow, Hall

KingKev
07-25-2022, 05:39 AM
That full tank mode roster is scary bad. Hoping for it.

exstatic
07-25-2022, 05:47 AM
Primo-Vassell-Keldon-Sochan-Barlow

Jones-Wesley-Branham-Roby-Dieng

I would like to see that rotation for the entire season.

:lol. They’re not going to start a fucking 2Way. He is only allowed to play like 40 something games, per the CBA. They’ll start Zollins.

spurs1990
07-26-2022, 08:20 PM
Full tank mode (after they trade Poeltl, McDermott, and J-Rich):

Primo, Vassell, Johnson, Sochan, and Collins
Jones, Wesley, Branham, Roby/KBD, Collins
Langford, Diop, and trade filler

Barlow, Hall

Including Dieng and Wieskamp, these 13 full roster players will average 22.9 years of age. Easily should be the youngest team in the league. If you took out 32 year old Dieng, age drops to 22.2. :wow

This’ll feel like an NCAA team

KingKev
07-26-2022, 08:22 PM
Including Dieng and Wieskamp, these 13 full roster players will average 22.9 years of age. Easily should be the youngest team in the league. If you took out 32 year old Dieng, age drops to 22.2. :wow

This’ll feel like an NCAA team

Remove Jak and JRich and this team wouldn’t make the sweet 16 lol

Poolboy5623
07-27-2022, 09:14 AM
As ridiculously bad as the roster looks, knowing the Spurs, they'll still be fighting for that 10 seed...

slick'81
07-27-2022, 04:20 PM
It's pointless to do a current one because a combination of common sense and timvp's reporting tells us that they won't go into the season with this roster. Even if Poeltl and/or Richardson aren't traded beforehand, a rotational PG will almost certainly be acquired, while Bates-Diop and Langford's roster spots are up in the air.

Once all that business is complete and the rookies have gotten some seasoning . . .

Starters: Sochan, Johnson, Collins, Vassell, TBD

Bench: McDermott, Jones, Dieng, Branham, Primo, Roby

Deep bench/G-League: Wesley, TBD x 3, Wieskamp (TW?), Barlow (TW)

yea thats a shit roster

exstatic
07-27-2022, 05:00 PM
yea thats a shit roster

TBD has some potential...

slick'81
07-27-2022, 05:08 PM

its trash,with some potential

Black Stan
09-06-2022, 10:28 PM
Black Stan (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=53584)

If you fucking @ me again, I will poop on your door mat sporadically. For years.

Maddog
09-07-2022, 06:55 AM

Untapped potential
Though difficult to assess based on prior level of competition.

Drom John
10-06-2022, 02:06 PM
Kevin Pelton
@kpelton

Here are the minutes projections I'm using for the 2022-23 season:

Keldon Johnson sas 76 31 2356
Jakob Poeltl sas 76 28 2128
Devin Vassell sas 76 28 2128
Tre Jones sas 76 28 2128
Doug McDermott sas 74 22 1628
Josh Primo sas 76 22 1672
Jeremy Sochan sas 77 22 1694
Zach Collins sas 50 18 900
Blake Wesley sas 77 15 1155
Malaki Branham sas 77 15 1148
Josh Richardson sas 75 12 900
Isaiah Roby sas 75 12 900
Romeo Langford sas 67 5 335
Gorgui Dieng sas 76 5 380
Joe Wieskamp sas 76 3 228
Keita Bates-Diop sas 74 0 0
Jordan Hall sas 77 0 0

KingKev
10-06-2022, 03:19 PM
^ Roby is going to see fair more than 12 mins a game.

DAF86
06-25-2023, 07:52 PM
Tre Jones, Graham, Wesley
Vassell, Brahnam, Cissoko
Keldon, McDermott, Champagnie
Sochan, Mamukelashvilli, Barlow
Wembanyama, Collins, Bassey

I don't know if I'm missing someone or adding someone that won't be here. How do you see the rotation? In which positions should we target a signing?

Kurik
06-25-2023, 08:38 PM
Tre Jones, Graham, Wesley
Vassell, Brahnam, Cissoko
Keldon, McDermott, Champagnie
Sochan, Mamukelashvilli, Barlow
Wembanyama, Collins, Bassey

I don't know if I'm missing someone or adding someone that won't be here. How do you see the rotation? In which positions should we target a signing?

If I’m understanding the cap situation correctly the Spurs need to spend about 15ish million after assuming Jones get resigned for around 12m or so. This is to reach the salary cap floor, teams are now incentivized to reach it by day 1 of the regular season.

I’m a fan of going after a vet like Brook Lopez or Mason Plumlee for a 1+1 contract if it’s possible just to have the experience. Also because I’m not sure if relying on Mamu and Bassey for the entire season is realistic. I’m a big fan of Collins but I don’t think it would hurt to have an extra body to help out Wemby.

CGD
06-25-2023, 08:41 PM
I think that’s the eventual starting 5 by the end of the (and the closing 5 before that), but folks think the Spurs will want to start Collins or another C along with him to absorb the hits. That, if true, in turn forces an interesting question about who starts at 3 between Keldon and Sochan. I don’t buy the Sochan at starting PG thing.

Mr. Body
06-25-2023, 08:43 PM
If I’m understanding the cap situation correctly the Spurs need to spend about 15ish million after assuming Jones get resigned for around 12m or so. This is to reach the salary cap floor, teams are now incentivized to reach it by day 1 of the regular season.

I’m a fan of going after a vet like Brook Lopez or Mason Plumlee for a 1+1 contract if it’s possible just to have the experience. Also because I’m not sure if relying on Mamu and Bassey for the entire season is realistic. I’m a big fan of Collins but I don’t think it would hurt to have an extra body to help out Wemby.

I think Lopez resigns with Milwaukee. Plumlee is interesting to me but I think he'll go to a sure playoff team.

I don't see any real answers for another big.

dbestpro
06-25-2023, 08:54 PM
I think Lopez resigns with Milwaukee. Plumlee is interesting to me but I think he'll go to a sure playoff team.

I don't see any real answers for another big.

Drummond can take up space.

Kurik
06-25-2023, 09:02 PM
Drummond can take up space.

Yeah I wouldn’t mind Drummond to be honest if all other options fail. I just think having a veteran big is going to be so important. As it stands now Collins at 25 is the elder statesman.

Mr. Body
06-25-2023, 09:04 PM
I've been pro Drummond.

XenoThirteen
06-25-2023, 09:07 PM
I really hope they just play Wemby at the 5 so we can just start with our best players+Tre. We can just call Sochan the 5 so Wemby can do a Duncan and pretend he’s a 4. The alternatives of either putting Jeremy at the 1, or benching one of Jeremy and Keldon don’t seem that efficient.

Kurik
06-25-2023, 09:12 PM
Yeah ideally Wemby would just play the 5 but it seems like early in his career at least both the Spurs and Wemby want to have someone else take some of the blows. It really just depends on the matchups but I’m expecting the Spurs will sign or trade for another big at some point.

DAF86
06-26-2023, 10:58 AM

I think a veteran PG is more of a need than a C, tbh.

I would give up a 2nd rounder to OKC in exchange of taking on Bertans' contract + the rights to Micic.

You kill two birds with one stone: reach the cap floor and add a talented PG with experience (granted, not NBA experience).

DAF86
06-26-2023, 11:06 AM
I think a veteran PG is more of a need than a C, tbh.

I would give up a 2nd rounder to OKC in exchange of taking on Bertans' contract + the rights to Micic.

You kill two birds with one stone: reach the cap floor and add a talented PG with experience (granted, not NBA experience).

Then the rotation becomes:

Micic - Vassell - Keldon - Sochan - Wemby

Tre - Brahnam - McDermott - Bertans - Collins

That would be a fun little team to fight for a play-in spot.

cutewizard
06-28-2023, 09:35 AM
How time flies

spurraider21
06-28-2023, 10:03 AM
I like the micic/Bertans idea as an option as well. But if you do that and keep Tre, that’s a lot of point guards on the roster. And if you don’t keep Tre, you’re left with devonte Graham as your vet leadership pg

scott
06-28-2023, 03:54 PM
Collins will start at C, Wemby will start at PF, and Sochan will not start at PG.

Looks of smart people can make all the arguments in the world why they don't agree with what is written above, but it seems fairly certain that this will be the case.

[Tre]/Graham/Wesley
Devin/Branham/Sidy
Sochan/Keldon/[Champ]
Wemby/Doug/[Mamu]
Collins/Bassey/Birch

Assuming Tre, Champ and Mamu get full deals, the roster is full. Birch is the most obvious to go. Champ could be on a two-way. Sidy could also be a two-way. Up to 3 potential roster spots available.

I think the actual "typical" playing time looks like this with a 9 man rotation. Obviously, there will be some other minutes sprinkled in situationally.

PG: Tre 30 / Graham 18
SG: Dev 24 / Bran 24
SF: Soch 15 / Keldon 26 / Dev 7
PF: Wemby 30 / Soch 15 / Keldon 3
C: Collins 26 / Bassey 22

Tre - 30
Graham - 18
Dev - 31
Bran - 24
Soch - 30
Keldon - 29
Wemby - 30
Collins - 26
Bassey - 22

Extra Stout
06-28-2023, 04:22 PM
I think early in the season Wesley gets Graham’s minutes to see whether or not he has learned how to play basketball. If not, he’s off to Austin or they might even cut him.

DAF86
06-28-2023, 06:48 PM
Collins will start at C, Wemby will start at PF, and Sochan will not start at PG.

Looks of smart people can make all the arguments in the world why they don't agree with what is written above, but it seems fairly certain that this will be the case.

[Tre]/Graham/Wesley
Devin/Branham/Sidy
Sochan/Keldon/[Champ]
Wemby/Doug/[Mamu]
Collins/Bassey/Birch

Assuming Tre, Champ and Mamu get full deals, the roster is full. Birch is the most obvious to go. Champ could be on a two-way. Sidy could also be a two-way. Up to 3 potential roster spots available.

I think the actual "typical" playing time looks like this with a 9 man rotation. Obviously, there will be some other minutes sprinkled in situationally.

PG: Tre 30 / Graham 18
SG: Dev 24 / Bran 24
SF: Soch 15 / Keldon 26 / Dev 7
PF: Wemby 30 / Soch 15 / Keldon 3
C: Collins 26 / Bassey 22

Tre - 30
Graham - 18
Dev - 31
Bran - 24
Soch - 30
Keldon - 29
Wemby - 30
Collins - 26
Bassey - 22

There's no way Keldon doesn't start. Last year top scorer, the more experienced one of the "young bunch" and the leader of the squad.

Also, Wemby might not start at C, but there's no way he doesn't play any minutes there.

Dejounte
06-28-2023, 07:00 PM
There's no way Keldon doesn't start. Last year top scorer, the more experienced one of the "young bunch" and the leader of the squad.

Also, Wemby might not start at C, but there's no way he doesn't play any minutes there.

There is a way. He’s already locked down with a long term contract and has experience sacrificing minutes/ role for the greater good (Olympics).

DAF86
06-28-2023, 07:06 PM
There is a way. He’s already locked down with a long term contract and has experience sacrificing minutes/ role for the greater good (Olympics).

In the Olympics he didn't sacrifice anything, tbh. He was the least experienced player in a squad full of stars or borderline stars. Him just being there was prize enough. It can't be compared to this situationa at all.

Dejounte
06-28-2023, 07:30 PM
In the Olympics he didn't sacrifice anything, tbh. He was the least experienced player in a squad full of stars or borderline stars. Him just being there was prize enough. It can't be compared to this situationa at all.

Even if you say HE didn’t, he was around players who did. And he got a taste of what it’s like to win it all, and what it takes to get there.

spurraider21
06-28-2023, 07:32 PM
could see a situation where sometimes we start Zollins/Wemby and sometime we start Wemby/Sochan depending on the matchup. still think vassell/keldon are the clearcut starting 2/3

DAF86
06-28-2023, 07:34 PM
Even if you say HE didn’t, he was around players who did. And he got a taste of what it’s like to win it all, and what it takes to get there.

Either way, it doesn't matter what HE thinks, Pop will not bench him. Old man will respect his seniority and leadership within the team.

As currently constructed it will be 3 guys for 2 spots: Tre, Sochan and Collins.

JPB
06-28-2023, 07:59 PM
Yeah, not sure eveyone realizes how spurs appreciate Keldon. But somehow, he keeps being the odd man out here.

scott
06-28-2023, 08:09 PM

Yeah I'd probably push 5-10 of his minutes down to C, which would take from Collins and Bassey (Collins picks up fouls and Bassey prob more of a 15-18 mpg game guy in regular rotation anyway) and then give Sochan a few more at the 4 and Keldon probably more like a 32-34 mpg guy (but still off the bench IMO).

If I were head coach (and it is a good thing I am not), I would actually consider a starting lineup with Bran at the 2 and Dev at the 3 with both Keldon and Sochan off the bench. I think this helps with leaving Tre as the only non-shooter in the SL and Sochan as the only non-shooter in the second unit. I haven't given a ton of thought to this (because I'm not making the decision) but I'd like to see that from time to time.

I also think Wemby probably plays 65-70 games which will leave a lot of minutes for others to boost their season average mpgs.

I disagree with your premise that Keldon will start, but I can definitely see the logic and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if you are correct.

spurraider21
06-28-2023, 08:10 PM
Yeah, not sure eveyone realizes how spurs appreciate Keldon. But somehow, he keeps being the odd man out here.
its an expectation given what we've seen so far. his defense has been subpar, either when playing as a 3 or a 4. we know he can get himself buckets, but he's also something of a black hole on offense, or at least thats been him so far. his 3pt efficiency has come and gone.

its not like he's getting traded tomorrow. he's going to have some more time to show he can modify his game to fit alongside the frenchise

Atl Spur
06-28-2023, 09:40 PM
Keldon needs to be our sixth man; he and branham will thrive with the second unit.

paperboy77
06-28-2023, 09:45 PM
Tre is like Brian Drew.... current QB of the Cleveland Browns in the NFL DRAFT movie. The right guy is ALREADY on the team for us.

rascal
06-28-2023, 11:35 PM

Sochan will come off the bench, at least early in the season. That makes the most sense.

Tre and Collins will start and yes Keldon will also start.

Sochan will be all right coming in off the bench. He's still going to get minutes.

heyheymymy
06-29-2023, 01:28 PM

heyheymymy
06-29-2023, 01:29 PM

Mr. Body
06-29-2023, 01:40 PM
Barlow showed some nice instincts later in the season. Not the top competition, but he showed a knack on steals, blocks, other possessions that make it worth it to work with him for another year.

Dex
06-29-2023, 01:45 PM

Dex
06-29-2023, 01:46 PM
As expected, looks like Jones will be back in the fold barring something crazy.

playblair
06-29-2023, 02:14 PM
my sources tell me
San Antonio is going with Barlow, Cissoko and Sir'Jabari Rice with their three 2-way contracts

Seventyniner
06-29-2023, 02:31 PM
As expected, looks like Jones will be back in the fold barring something crazy.

I don't think the Spurs tendering the offer to him necessarily means that. If the Spurs hadn't done it, Tre would be a UFA if I understand things correctly.

Extra Stout
06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
I don't think the Spurs tendering the offer to him necessarily means that. If the Spurs hadn't done it, Tre would be a UFA if I understand things correctly.
They’ll match anything that isn’t insane.

Mr. Body
06-29-2023, 02:46 PM
Commenters saying the market for guards is not very good.

RC_Drunkford
06-29-2023, 04:10 PM
The Spurs will have three two-way contracts to award, hybrid deals that share a player with the G League. Those are expected to go to Dominick Barlow, second-round pick Sidy Cissoko and undrafted free agent Sir’Jabari Rice, (https://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/san-antonio-spurs-won-t-rush-free-agency-aid-18176836.php) who played his final college season at Texas. The Spurs have expressed interest in bringing back Julian Champagnie — who finished last season on a two-way contract — on a full NBA deal.
2 hours ago (https://hoopshype.com/rumor/2161384/) – via San Antonio Express-News (https://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/san-antonio-spurs-won-t-rush-free-agency-aid-18176836.php)

Extra Stout
06-29-2023, 04:11 PM
No word on Mamu

Ocotillo
06-29-2023, 04:23 PM
The Spurs will have three two-way contracts to award, hybrid deals that share a player with the G League. Those are expected to go to Dominick Barlow, second-round pick Sidy Cissoko and undrafted free agent Sir’Jabari Rice, who played his final college season at Texas. The Spurs have expressed interest in bringing back Julian Champagnie — who finished last season on a two-way contract — on a full NBA deal.
2 hours ago – via San Antonio Express-News

PlayBlair but this out there earlier. Actually, that is a nice set of players for the two-way contracts.

rankingtear
06-29-2023, 04:38 PM
Julian and Mamu have contracts already lined up. 13 spots on the regular roster counting Tre. Brook Lopez incoming. Keep 1 spot open for trades.

spurraider21
06-29-2023, 10:02 PM
We currently have 10 guys under contract. Wemby will be 11. The three 2-way players also seem to be decided. Cissiko, Rice, and Barlow are the projected guys

RFA tenders have also been given to Tre and Champagnie. If both are brought back that makes 13 on the roster with 2 spots remaining. They can also waive/buyout Birch but could also hold him as salary filler in a trade

we have a solid amount of cap space in addition to the room exception valued at 7.7 mil

A lot of ways PATFO can go about this

Mr. Body
06-29-2023, 10:14 PM
Sites that have Champagnie listed for QO, which hasn't been officially announced afaik, also still list Romeo Langford.

spurraider21
06-29-2023, 10:45 PM
Sites that have Champagnie listed for QO, which hasn't been officially announced afaik, also still list Romeo Langford.

mystargtr34
06-30-2023, 08:25 PM
So how do we sit atm?

Tre - Graham - Wesley
Vassell - Branham - Siddy
Keldon - McDermott - Shampenny
Wemby - Sochan - Barlow
Zach - Bassey

Not counting Birch tbh. Who are our TW guys is it Barlow and Bediako?

jhfenton
06-30-2023, 09:26 PM
So how do we sit atm?

Tre - Graham - Wesley
Vassell - Branham - Siddy
Keldon - McDermott - Shampenny
Wemby - Sochan - Barlow
Zach - Bassey

Not counting Birch tbh. Who are our TW guys is it Barlow and Bediako?

Nothing is set in stone for the start of the season, but Sir Pumps a Lot (Sir'Jabari Rice) is reportedly on a two-way. Barlow could be, or he could get a Bassey/Champagnie-type deal.

Sissoko was/is a possibility for a two-way, but L'Équipe reported that he was signing a "guaranteed" deal, whatever exactly that means. They have cap space, so it could be anything.

Reportedly Bediako signed an Exhibit 10 contract, which the Spurs could convert to a two-way (or a full deal) before the start of the regular season or cut him and assign him to Austin.

They can have 3 two-ways now, with some sort of limit on using the third slot with a less than full roster, but I haven't seen those details yet.

kobyz
07-01-2023, 08:25 AM
Tre Jones/Devonte Graham/Blake Wesley
Devin Vassell/Malaki Branham/Sidy Cissoko/Sir’Jabari Rice
Keldon Johnson/Cedi Osman/Lamar Stevens
Victor Wembanyama/Doug McDermott/Julian Champagnie
Jeremy Sochan/Zach Collins/Charles Bassey/Khem Birch/Charles Bediako

timtonymanu
07-01-2023, 09:45 PM
My ideal rotation:

Jones/Graham/Wesley
Vassell/Branham/Cissoko
Sochan/Keldon/Champagnie/Osman
Wemby/McDermott
Collins/Bassey/Mamu

I'm not counting Birch and Stevens. The last two-way contracts would go to Sir'Jabari Rice and maybe Barlow?

C-Dub
07-02-2023, 06:23 AM
In response to ^^^ :

Everything looks about right with your rotation, except Keldon will start in lieu of Sochan. No way our only driver to the basket guy to get possible and - 1's come of the bench. Not to mention he's earned the right to start and has put in his years in the Spurs system. Not to mention that Sochan was Baylor's BEST player in college and still didn't have an ego and didn't mind coming off the bench as the 6th man. Even with Sochan coming off the bench, he will finish games most of time and average at least around the same amount of MPG than anyone on the roster besides Keldon and Vassell. Sochan will not be coming off the bench for ever, it's only due to the way the current roster is constructed. This is not a slight to Sochan at all. Spurs are lucky he doesn't have a bad ego and he want look at coming off the bench as a demotion.

slick'81
07-02-2023, 08:10 AM
Tre/devonte/wes
vassell/malakai
kj/doug/bubbly
sochan/zollins/mamu/barlow
wemby/zollins/bassey

Cissoko,ossman and stevens i know nothing about

RC_Drunkford
07-02-2023, 06:56 PM
rotation will likely be

Jones/Wesley
Vassell/Branham
Keldon/McDermott
Wemby/Sochan
Collins/Bassey

with Graham likely being in the rotation as back up PG first and Wesley having to earn his spot and Bassey vs. Mamu battling it out for back up C

heyheymymy
07-02-2023, 07:29 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/NBASpurs/comments/14ozh6n/blake_and_barlow_put_on_some_muscle/

BackHome
07-02-2023, 07:43 PM
rotation will likely be

Jones/Wesley
Vassell/Branham
Keldon/McDermott
Wemby/Sochan
Collins/Bassey

with Graham likely being in the rotation as back up PG first and Wesley having to earn his spot and Bassey vs. Mamu battling it out for back up C

Don't be surprised to see Champagnie battling McDermott for some minutes

DAF86
07-03-2023, 10:50 AM
rotation will likely be

Jones/Wesley
Vassell/Branham
Keldon/McDermott
Wemby/Sochan
Collins/Bassey

I know everybody assumes the Spurs will start Wemby at PF, but it just feels wrong sending Sochan to the bench. I would just start the entire young core, tbh. I don't want anyone having their confidence messed by being sent to the bench. Even if your minutes stay the same, or even increase, folks that started last season will be disapointed being sent to the bench, tbh. It's just human nature.

spurraider21
07-03-2023, 10:53 AM
while Wemby will obviously be a mainstay at starter, Zollins/Sochan might alternate depending on matchup. Johnson/Vassell/Tre seem locked in until further notice. either way, that looks to be largely a 3 man rotation, with some Mamu/Bassey sprinkled in, or some small lineups with Keldon moving up here and there

LeBowen
07-03-2023, 10:53 AM
I know everybody assumes the Spurs will start Wemby at PF, but it just feels wrong sending Sochan to the bench. I would just start the entire young core, tbh. I don't want anyone having their confidence messed by being sent to the bench. Even if your minutes stay the same, or even increase, folks that started last season will be disapointed being sent to the bench, tbh. It's just human nature.

The problem is that our spacing is horrible.
Tre is a horrible shooter for a point guard and Wemby can't play C yet.
Meaning that it's between Keldon and Jeremy. I'd rather start Jeremy, but then we'd have 1970s spacing.
If only Jeremy improves his handles even more, so he can start instead of Tre. I'm sure Pop will try it at some point.

Dhbsr555
07-03-2023, 11:00 AM
It’s crazy people think sochan won’t start lol he’s starting there is zero chance he comes off the Bench

Mr. Body
07-03-2023, 11:04 AM
Keldon should start. His spacing works much bettter as a starter with Victor and his skills are maximized in the starting unit. Sochan's multiple skills are amplified off the bench.

DAF86
07-03-2023, 11:07 AM
It’s crazy people think sochan won’t start lol he’s starting there is zero chance he comes off the Bench

Who's being left out?

spurraider21
07-03-2023, 11:08 AM
the problem is we have like 6-7 guys that everybody says has to start and per NCAA, FIBA, and NBA rules, we can only start 5

Dhbsr555
07-03-2023, 11:13 AM
the problem is we have like 6-7 guys that everybody says has to start and per NCAA, FIBA, and NBA rules, we can only start 5
It would be a huge mistake to start keldon over sochan . Sochan plays defense keldon doesn’t .

DAF86
07-03-2023, 11:14 AM
Crazy to think how not too long ago we were complaining about all the combo guards the Spurs drafted, and now we have no starting caliber PG. Next season we need to get us that point of attack playamker, tbh.

RC_Drunkford
07-03-2023, 11:14 AM
The problem is that our spacing is horrible.
Tre is a horrible shooter for a point guard and Wemby can't play C yet.
Meaning that it's between Keldon and Jeremy. I'd rather start Jeremy, but then we'd have 1970s spacing.
If only Jeremy improves his handles even more, so he can start instead of Tre. I'm sure Pop will try it at some point.

well we kept the powder dry like most people here wanted to. Why sign a 3-point shooting PG when we like what we have?

then who is coming off the bench?

DAF86
07-03-2023, 11:15 AM
It would be a huge mistake to start keldon over sochan . Sochan plays defense keldon doesn’t .

Keldon isn't getting benched by Pop, tbh.

Dhbsr555
07-03-2023, 11:17 AM
Keldon isn't getting benched by Pop, tbh.
That’s the problem isn’t it. We were the worst defensive team last year . Spurs say they want to see what they have with there youth . Keldon needs to be traded . Sochan is the better prospect.

Obstructed_View
07-03-2023, 11:24 AM
Two statements that need to die already:

1. The Spurs were terrible on defense last year.

Yeah, we know. They had to lose 60 games somehow. It was planned.

2. Sochan came off the bench for Baylor

I love Scott Drew, but if you are taking the lead from his basketball decisions, you aren't going far. Baylor got upset in the second round because the starters got them in a hole that Jeremy heroically barely failed to dig them out of.

Dhbsr555
07-03-2023, 11:27 AM

I love Scott Drew, but if you are taking the lead from his basketball decisions, you aren't going far. Baylor got upset in the second round because the starters got them in a hole that Jeremy heroically barely failed to dig them out of.

and I completely get that they arnt as bad as the record shows however the upside of a sochan/wemby front court is tantalizing especially on the defensive side

EricB
07-03-2023, 11:28 AM
It’s obvious you start Sochan, KJ comes off the bench. It makes too much sense.

LeBowen
07-03-2023, 11:30 AM
well we kept the powder dry like most people here wanted to. Why sign a 3-point shooting PG when we like what we have?

Which 3-point shooting PG would you have signed? FVV on that ridiculous deal? There were no other options, unless I'm missing something.
All the rookie guards aren't projected to be good shooters, so even if Spurs moved up to draft someone, it wouldn't have improved spacing for this season.
Lillard is a pipe dream and not a realistic option.
I mentioned Garland a few times, I'm sure Cavs will consider all options after they inevitably crumble again because Garland-Mitchell backcourt can't work in the playoffs.

Obstructed_View
07-03-2023, 11:34 AM
and I completely get that they arnt as bad as the record shows however the upside of a sochan/wemby front court is tantalizing especially on the defensive side

I've been watching Pop since he was an assistant coach. I have never seen him allow defensive lapses until last year, when he did it totally and completely. The "MuH mor basktes" NBA didn't even notice because the Spurs were scoring points. Hell, most Spurs fans didn't even notice.

I'm all but certain that Pop will not bring out a team that fails to play defense this season.

RC_Drunkford
07-03-2023, 11:35 AM
Which 3-point shooting PG would you have signed? FVV on that ridiculous deal? There were no other options, unless I'm missing something.
All the rookie guards aren't projected to be good shooters, so even if Spurs moved up to draft someone, it wouldn't have improved spacing for this season.
Lillard is a pipe dream and not a realistic option.
I mentioned Garland a few times, I'm sure Cavs will consider all options after they inevitably crumble again because Garland-Mitchell backcourt can't work in the playoffs.

there ain't options out there because all the NBA superstars are getting old and are regressing or are about to. Garland is the best possible fit at PG, I agree. Spurs could've used Lowry as a salary dump for example, maybe they still do that or they could start Graham. Not much to pick from.

RC_Drunkford
07-03-2023, 11:37 AM
It’s obvious you start Sochan, KJ comes off the bench. It makes too much sense.

how exactly does it make sense to start 3 non 3-point shooters?

LeBowen
07-03-2023, 11:41 AM
there ain't options out there because all the NBA superstars are getting old and are regressing or are about to. Garland is the best possible fit at PG, I agree. Spurs could've used Lowry as a salary dump for example, maybe they still do that or they could start Graham. Not much to pick from.

I actually think Graham will get a lot of minutes just because we lack shooters. It's also a massive opportunity for Branham.
When the news about Patty not staying at Houston broke yesterday, I was scared they'd bring him back here.
So we're good considering that we could've been forced to watch a couple more seasons of Patty chucking it.

Mr. Body
07-03-2023, 11:42 AM

Saying the thing about Baylor is just to say Sochan is comfortable impacting a game off the bench. Optimally he starts, of course.

But Keldon's skillset is 100% better starting next to Wembanyama. His spacing improves Wembanyama; Wembanyama improves his shooting. He's a good second option and great third option. I feel like his effectiveness relatively tanks if he comes off the bench.

I think most coaches would see their skillsets and do the same thing:

Keldon as a starter: 100% ability unlocked
Keldon off the bench: 65% ability unlocked

Whereas Sochan is probably pretty similar starting/bench. He may be even better feasting off bench units.

RC_Drunkford
07-03-2023, 11:46 AM
Sochan with a 3-point shot might be a better fit starting next to Wemby. Sochan without a consistent 3-point shot ain't.

Dhbsr555
07-03-2023, 11:49 AM
Why can’t we run sochan Devin keldon wemby and Collins atleast try it out in preseason

Obstructed_View
07-03-2023, 11:54 AM
Saying the thing about Baylor is just to say Sochan is comfortable impacting a game off the bench. Optimally he starts, of course.

But Keldon's skillset is 100% better starting next to Wembanyama. His spacing improves Wembanyama; Wembanyama improves his shooting. He's a good second option and great third option. I feel like his effectiveness relatively tanks if he comes off the bench.

Whereas Sochan is probably pretty similar starting/bench. He may be even better feasting off bench units.

It's weird though. Sochan was the Spurs' best point guard last year. If it were up to me, odd man out would be Tre.

Edit: oh yeah you guys want Collins to start and Victor to play the 4. That's ridiculous.

slick'81
07-03-2023, 11:57 AM

agreed. Just put sochan in and let him wreak havoc where needed. Kj should stick in the starting unit with wemby at all times. Malakai will probably be our microwave guy

RC_Drunkford
07-03-2023, 12:00 PM
It's weird though. Sochan was the Spurs' best point guard last year. If it were up to me, odd man out would be Tre.

Edit: oh yeah you guys want Collins to start and Victor to play the 4. That's ridiculous.

so it's ridiculous that the Spurs officially list Wembanyama as a forward on the roster?

Obstructed_View
07-03-2023, 12:00 PM
so it's ridiculous that the Spurs officially list Wembanyama as a forward on the roster?
Yes.

slick'81
07-03-2023, 12:02 PM
Yes.

id take sochan and his d over tre

ChumpDumper
07-03-2023, 12:07 PM

https://media.tenor.com/IsICtd-OlSkAAAAM/phrasing-archer.gif

RC_Drunkford
07-03-2023, 12:10 PM
Yes.

then get ready for more ridiculousness cause that's the position he will play

Obstructed_View
07-03-2023, 12:15 PM
then get ready for more ridiculousness cause that's the position he will play
Yeah I know. People still think the NBA is more physical than Europe. It isn't. Victor doesn't need anyone protecting him. The lineup will shake out naturally when everyone realizes it.

Obstructed_View
07-03-2023, 12:17 PM
I'd take Sochan over Tre in point guard skills alone, and that's before considering his movement without the ball, his rebounding and his defense.

Dejounte
07-03-2023, 12:20 PM
Sochan with a 3-point shot might be a better fit starting next to Wemby. Sochan without a consistent 3-point shot ain't.

Yea, we don’t know if Sochan does or doesn’t have a consistent 3 pt shot after this summer unless we play him with the starters who will give him the most opportunities to take those shots. Put him on the bench and you’ll never really know. Sochan’s trajectory was on the way up, keeping him as a starter continues that trend because it gives him confidence. Giving KJ the starter role has little upside except “he earned it” and because “he fits better” (even though we won’t give Sochan a chance). Makes little sense.

Dejounte
07-03-2023, 12:22 PM
Again, the Spurs stuck with KJ even through his poor shooting and he was labeled as a bad 3 pt shooter in the beginning. If folks had their way here, KJ would have never broke through that slump and he would still have the reputation as a poor shooter. The Spurs continued to play him the way they did because that’s how would-be shooters develop into shooters.

LeBowen
07-03-2023, 12:28 PM
Sochan made a significant improvement after he switche to one handed FTs and adjusted his form.

24 games before the change:
24mpg, 7.5/4.2/2.2 on 46/18/43, took 2 threes per game.

32 games after the change:
27mpg, 13.5/6/2.8 on 45/28/78, took 2.7 threes per game.

While 28% is still horrible, improving by 10% on increased volume is a big cause for optimism.
Will he ever be an elite shooter? Most definitely not. But he can easily get to 35% on normal catch and shoot attempts when opponents aren't daring him to shoot.

I don't know how likely it is to happen, but I still have hope that Jeremy can become what Simmons should've been and that would be a complete game changer for this roster.

Meanwhile, Tre was at 28% for the season on 2.3 attempts.

Dejounte
07-03-2023, 12:29 PM
KJ (along with Vassell) basically made a subtle acknowledgment that Sochan’s talent was better than them towards the end of last year. KJ was in full support of Sochan and said his talent was through the roof. I mean it really doesn’t sound like a guy who would be upset if his role was taken by someone he believed was better than him.

ismael-robert
07-03-2023, 02:12 PM
This is a team which made being a sixth man a honor and had an all time great in Manu coming off bench. If kj can't accept that he ain't over himself

mo7888
07-03-2023, 04:27 PM
Keldon should start. His spacing works much bettter as a starter with Victor and his skills are maximized in the starting unit. Sochan's multiple skills are amplified off the bench.

I'm starting to buy in on this.... I've had Sochan starting based on an assumption that we'd bring in a PG to start that was a threat frim 3 and bring Tre off the bench. Sochan is the logical starter over KJ if there are 4 guys that can shoot from deep. If we aren't doing that then KJ is the logical starter. You don't want 2 non-shooters in the SL with Wemby.

DAF86
07-03-2023, 04:33 PM
I'm starting to buy in on this.... I've had Sochan starting based on an assumption that we'd bring in a PG to start that was a threat frim 3 and bring Tre off the bench. Sochan is the logical starter over KJ if there are 4 guys that can shoot from deep. If we aren't doing that then KJ is the logical starter. You don't want 2 non-shooters in the SL with Wemby.

Yet folks here want to sign a brusing center to pair with Wemby. :lol

mo7888
07-03-2023, 04:40 PM
Yet folks here want to sign a brusing center to pair with Wemby. :lol

I think that's only as a backup type guy. The only starting caliber C that we've tossed about is Lopez, who is a threat from the perimeter. The Plumlee types are to come off the bench.

Dhbsr555
07-03-2023, 04:40 PM
Ya what are we even doing if we arnt starting sochan might as well just trade for Lillard

DAF86
07-03-2023, 04:48 PM
Tre, Vassell, Keldon, Sochan, Wemby.

Just start the young guns. Let Sochan start playing the Rodman role he is suppossed to play and let him handle the Jokics and Embiids of this World. Nobody is stopping those guys anyways, tbh.

SpursGenius
07-03-2023, 04:56 PM

Just start the young guns. Let Sochan start playing the Rodman role he is suppossed to play and let him handle the Jokics and Embiids of this World. Nobody is stopping those guys anyways, tbh.
Kj and Tre are not plus players. They are bench players on great teams. I would package and trade the two either at deadline or at end of season. Hoping they improve from last year to increase trade value.

DAF86
07-03-2023, 04:59 PM
Kj and Tre are not plus players. They are bench players on great teams. I would package and trade the two either at deadline or at end of season. Hoping they improve from last year to increase trade value.

I agree, but, as long as they are here, they should start so as to not diminish their value.

C-Dub
07-03-2023, 05:38 PM
Keldon will start in lieu of Sochan. No way our only driver to the basket guy to get possible and - 1's come of the bench. Not to mention he's earned the right to start and has put in his years in the Spurs system. Not to mention that Sochan was Baylor's BEST player in college and still didn't have an ego and didn't mind coming off the bench as the 6th man. Even with Sochan coming off the bench, he will finish games most of time and average at least around the same amount of MPG than anyone on the roster besides Keldon and Vassell. Sochan will not be coming off the bench for ever, it's only due to the way the current roster is constructed. This is not a slight to Sochan at all. Spurs are lucky he doesn't have a bad ego and he want look at coming off the bench as a demotion.

scott
07-03-2023, 05:46 PM

Speaking strictly basketball, seems like that lineup get dominated on the boards. Sochan hasn't really proven that great a rebounder.

spurraider21
07-03-2023, 05:48 PM
Speaking strictly basketball, seems like that lineup get dominated on the boards. Sochan hasn't really proven that great a rebounder.
keldon's been an above average rebounder at the 3. and if vassell keeps bulking up he should help too. gone are the days where dejounte was a menace on the boards, gonna have to be a group effort outside of wemby

scott
07-03-2023, 05:54 PM
keldon's been an above average rebounder at the 3. and if vassell keeps bulking up he should help too. gone are the days where dejounte was a menace on the boards, gonna have to be a group effort outside of wemby

Really loved the energy brought to the boards when he was playing the 4 (and still remember that 20 board performance vs Chicago), but he seemed to really regress last season. Maybe that was by design in his role?

spurraider21
07-03-2023, 05:57 PM
Really loved the energy brought to the boards when he was playing the 4 (and still remember that 20 board performance vs Chicago), but he seemed to really regress last season. Maybe that was by design in his role?
his rebound% did drop. part of it is that in 21-22 he was mostly playing the 4 and was closer to the basket, more opportunities. he slid back to the 3, but didnt have as good a rebounding year as he did in 20-21 in the same position (was his best rebounding season)

SpursFan86
07-03-2023, 08:28 PM
Should Barlow start over Zollins tbh :lol

DAF86
07-03-2023, 09:03 PM
Should Barlow start over Zollins tbh :lol

No, for now, but it goes to show you that there's no need in signing a journeyman like Plumlee. Give the young kids some chances.

Millennial_Messiah
07-04-2023, 02:04 AM
Again, the Spurs stuck with KJ even through his poor shooting and he was labeled as a bad 3 pt shooter in the beginning. If folks had their way here, KJ would have never broke through that slump and he would still have the reputation as a poor shooter. The Spurs continued to play him the way they did because that’s how would-be shooters develop into shooters.

similar thing can be said about Long Dick Nigga and, to a lesser extent, Stak Five.

Obstructed_View
07-06-2023, 10:30 AM
There an updated roster somewhere so I can keep track of all these guys? I'm having a hard time remembering who is here at the moment. :lol

spurraider21
07-06-2023, 11:02 AM
There an updated roster somewhere so I can keep track of all these guys? I'm having a hard time remembering who is here at the moment. :lol
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/san-antonio-spurs/cap/

at this point we have 17 guys on the roster, so two are going to have to be traded or waived as is. and we have been hearing more and more the cissoko is expected to sign a regular contract and not a two-way, meaning we have to clear out one more spot.

lamar stevens and khem birch seem like the obvious 2. mamu probably would be the third

Kindergarten Cop
07-06-2023, 11:11 AM
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/san-antonio-spurs/cap/

at this point we have 17 guys on the roster, so two are going to have to be traded or waived as is. and we have been hearing more and more the cissoko is expected to sign a regular contract and not a two-way, meaning we have to clear out one more spot.

lamar stevens and khem birch seem like the obvious 2. mamu probably would be the third

Barlow is not included in that 17 (and I don't see him not making the big team), so that means that even more movement will be necessary.

spurraider21
07-06-2023, 11:13 AM
Barlow is not included in that 17 (and I don't see him not making the big team), so that means that even more movement will be necessary.
would guess cedi is next

duncan2150
07-06-2023, 11:22 AM

We can go to 18 with the 3 two-way spots.

So we have 17 players without counting Cissoko( likely a guaranteed contract), Barlow and Rice.

If Cissoko is guaranteed, we need to trade/cut three guys... Stevens, Birch and Bullock are the candidates imo.

If Barlow is guaranteed, you need to cut four. I will not be surprised if we use our expiring contracts in a big trade.

exstatic
07-06-2023, 11:26 AM

Khem and Lamar are the obvious candidates if it comes down to the waiver wire. Dominick may have to do what Bassey had to do last year and hang out on a 2way for a while until a roster spot clears later in the year. I remember many shit fits being had here about that.