PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Draft Day Intel, Discussions, Rumors and Random Thoughts

timvp
06-24-2022, 11:59 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-draft-day-intel-rumors-discussions/

Some interesting tidbits in there, I think.

leo07251413
06-25-2022, 12:03 AM
What's up timvp, have a good one tbh

Ditty
06-25-2022, 12:18 AM
Thanks timvp. Excited to hear about your free agency thoughts in a few days. Hopefully some summer league grades also. GSG!

Rubberducky
06-25-2022, 12:34 AM
Were the Spurs just not interested in trading any of the picks by the time the draft started? Despite the assumption that it was gonna happen, it's sounding as though that the Spurs were content with using all three picks.

Duren getting picked at 13 and then being traded had Spurs written all over it. From what I've seen from the Hornets fanbase, they hate the return they got and the Spurs could have offered something much better. Now the Pistons are the winners of this years draft.

That said, I LOVE all three picks so it's not the end of the world. I'm just having a hard time shaking off Sochan + Duren when it was sitting there.

The Truth #6
06-25-2022, 12:35 AM
Wow, this went about the opposite of last year. I suppose it’s assumed, but have to say that Brian Wright is doing good work.

offset formation
06-25-2022, 12:36 AM
Getting Barlow greatly softens my critique about passing up on Jovic or Liddell at 25. Nonetheless, it's clear the team has a glut at the guard position and something or sonethings will have to give (or go).

As I posted pre-draft, I got 2 of my guys I wanted in the top 20. I was and remain whelmed by the Wesley pick at 25 especially because I think Jovic would have been special on this team. But if the kid was dominating in personal workouts, then you take him I suppose. But I also wrote yesterday that Wesley would be a 2 yr minimum project, so that doesnt really jive with that supposed dominance you described. If the kid is that athletic, that quick and already that advanced, then 2 years in Austin make zero sense except in Pop's old-fashioned development mind.

All in all, I like this draft especiallywith Barlow coming in low key on the back door. Ive since watched some tape on him and he looks to be a potential real producer someday once he gets his body NBA ready..

That said I thing Daniels and Dieng will be special as well and they were who I preferred at 9 just ahead of Sochan. But this team desperately needs defense and his flexibility helps this team on Day 1. Branham is gonna be good. Maybe really good. So I absolutely LOVED those first 2 picks. But I remain perplexed at the roster construction especially with the PATFO plan of pigeonholing Primo into the PG role...then drafting yet another 6'4 ball hungry guard. I see Branham able to play wing a bit, if not the SG position.

Looks like Walker, Jones, Richardson, Weiskamp, Cacok, and Langford are all being shown the door one way or another over the next season. And that's a shame with regards to Richardson because he is and will remain a better option for the Spurs than others.

Mr. Body
06-25-2022, 12:41 AM
Good stuff and a great glimpse behind the curtain. I'm really stoked for Blake Wesley. He's Ivey-esque when he gets a head of steam -- it's really hard to stop him. I also noticed the ages. Primo was born Dec 2002, the FRPs in Mar and May 2003. I wonder if Cleveland will regret taking Ogbachi over Ohio native Branham. The 14 probably was his spot.

One thing I was thinking about... There are archetypes in drafts nowadays. There are older players finally ready to go (J. Wililams, Duarte, Ogbachi). There are freshmen who were touted coming into college (Banchero, Holmgren). There are guys who made big leaps from so-so freshmen years (Ivey, Keegan Murray, Johnny Davis). And so on.

Our three FRPs had remarkably similar freshmen years in terms of development. Each came into the year for Baylor, OSU, Notre Dame, without a lot of attention on them. They were supposed to fall behind other players, their own times to come. Each of them started taking over bigger and bigger roles on their teams until they were perhaps their most important players. After Branham dropped 35 pts on Nebraska, his season changed and his production went up drastically. Wesley was forced into a large offensive role because he was far and away their most talented player.

What's super cool is each guy fought hard in the NCAA tournament. Baylor ultimately fell to the tourney runners-up in UNC. OSU went a bit farther than expected with Branham really carrying them. UND was a 'first four' team that also went a couple games deeper than expected before facing a tough Texas Tech team.

I wouldn't say these development tracks were intentional, but it's provocative. I continue to think that if Branham and Wesley stayed next year, they'd be well into the lottery.

Mr. Body
06-25-2022, 12:44 AM
Were the Spurs just not interested in trading any of the picks by the time the draft started? Despite the assumption that it was gonna happen, it's sounding as though that the Spurs were content with using all three picks.

Duren getting picked at 13 and then being traded had Spurs written all over it. From what I've seen from the Hornets fanbase, they hate the return they got and the Spurs could have offered something much better. Now the Pistons are the winners of this years draft.

That said, I LOVE all three picks so it's not the end of the world. I'm just having a hard time shaking off Sochan + Duren when it was sitting there.

Many suggestions that the Spurs were looking to make trades. This write-up says they were exploring trading up to get Sochan. Trades often don't materialize and desired players were at those spots anyway. I am curious whether the Spurs really were after Jake LaRavia since Memphis traded right in front of them to select him.

CHA really sold Duren cheap. I imagine a lot of teams might have wanted in on that one. I doubt the Spurs even knew about it.

FvckMavs
06-25-2022, 12:50 AM
It would have been funny if Branham and Wesley where the two players who needed to be separated during that intense workout.

BackHome
06-25-2022, 01:46 AM
Damn reading they were going to take Procida at 38 has reopened the tear in my heart...:depressed

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-25-2022, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the great info.

When the Spurs picks were all quite late I was sure they were making trades. Both 9 and 20 took a while to be announced, so when the names came up I wasn't even sure they were drafted for us. I'm pretty sure that NY offer OKC sent was there for the taking at 9 too, for example. Sure seemed like the Spurs loved the players they got and declined a lot of offers. The Memphis 22+29 for 19 seemed weird and unnecessary but perhaps they knew something about interest in Laravia.

I thought Sochan would make a ton of sense for Portland and had him going there on my personal mock. All 3 picks the Spurs made I had going way higher. Hometown boy Branham to Cleveland was so obvious , I was surprised they took Ogbaji, it was such a boring pick for them. Not that Ogbaji is a bad player but still, I had him going to Denver. Wesley, I had going to Chicago at 18 but when it came to pick 25 I was sure it was going to be a trade, glad it wasn't.

timvp
06-25-2022, 02:25 AM
Our three FRPs had remarkably similar freshmen years in terms of development. Each came into the year for Baylor, OSU, Notre Dame, without a lot of attention on them. They were supposed to fall behind other players, their own times to come. Each of them started taking over bigger and bigger roles on their teams until they were perhaps their most important players. After Branham dropped 35 pts on Nebraska, his season changed and his production went up drastically. Wesley was forced into a large offensive role because he was far and away their most talented player.

This was another fantastic point I heard today. I'm planning to discuss it more in an upcoming article.

The scouting rank for the three players:

Branham was 35th in his class. Wesley was 100th. Sochan was 156th.

Those were three of the four lowest ranked freshmen drafted. Interestingly, the fourth freshman was another player the Spurs liked this cycle: Josh Minott (39).

BatManu20
06-25-2022, 02:51 AM
Guess I’ll leave this here.

AIGpzKS6V3A

BatManu20
06-25-2022, 02:55 AM
Damn reading they were going to take Procida at 38 has reopened the tear in my heart...:depressed

Called that in the draft thread. I was really confident they were going to draft Procida had he been available. Once he was scooped up, I figured we’d take another stash or just trade the pick, and we did. Bummer but oh well.

John B
06-25-2022, 03:05 AM
Thanks Timvp. I was surprised that the original intention was to draft offensive upside Ms Keegan then Mathurin, before defensive Sochan. I consider Sochan, and Davis, as the best all-around defensive players in the draft. I was hoping for Davis because on top on defense, he is also an offensive stud who shines in the brightest lights, a good characteristic for a future All-Star imo.

I like that instead they got Brahnam as alternate to Davis. While he scores in buckets, his 6’10” wingspan gives me hope that he could be a good defensive player.

I like the great upsides of Blake, who could have highest upside once he puts everything together.

In hindsight, they were going for go-to scorers on Keegan and Mathurin, before Sochan :wakeup

Reading more on Dominick, I’m not as disappointed not to get Kamagate because the guy is raw. But I still would’ve been ecstatic if Spurs had chased Duren. I wander if there was an effort to get him. Or is it because they’re chasing another Center in FA? Ayton? Myles?

I’m excited what our new draftees would bring. I’m so ready for Sochan to start. I’ve been reading about him playing PG. I really want the coaching staff to develop that, including shooting. I think a Point Forward role would take him to another level, on his way to All-Star level, think Simmons with better offense.

Great write-up :bobo

PhantomDashCam
06-25-2022, 03:22 AM
Thanks again timvp for sharing your insights.

https://youtu.be/sTjb6AWo-c8

At the 7:45 point of this video, (which was filmed either the day before or on draft day); Wesley specifically discusses how his best workout was for SA and that he was the best in that group workout.

The fact that you've confirmed the players that were there, wow, what a show that must of been.

John B
06-25-2022, 03:42 AM
Thanks again timvp for sharing your insights.

https://youtu.be/sTjb6AWo-c8

At the 7:45 point of this video, (which was filmed either the day before or on draft day); Wesley specifically discusses how his best workout was for SA and that he was the best in that group workout.

The fact that you've confirmed the players that were there, wow, what a show that must of been.

“They were trying to separate players.” It must’ve been them trying to stop Wesley unsuccessfully and getting trashed by our 25th draft :lol I can’t wait how these three rookies get from the Spurs vets.

rankingtear
06-25-2022, 03:43 AM
Many suggestions that the Spurs were looking to make trades. This write-up says they were exploring trading up to get Sochan. Trades often don't materialize and desired players were at those spots anyway. I am curious whether the Spurs really were after Jake LaRavia since Memphis traded right in front of them to select him.

CHA really sold Duren cheap. I imagine a lot of teams might have wanted in on that one. I doubt the Spurs even knew about it.
Think I read somewhere that MIN did pick Laravia for themselves and DEN also likes him nothing on SAS. On Duren they are saying there is a big dropoff after Dieng, but it is still a lightly protected first and 4 seconds.

Marco
06-25-2022, 05:53 AM
Trading the 38th pick in a deep draft for a future SRP, probably in the late 50s, and cash ? Disappointing. They could have signed Barlow even without Memphis money and using the pick in a wiser manner. Not a good move.

Maddog
06-25-2022, 06:05 AM
Thanks!
I asked in another thread about Barlow- It's hard to imagine why he wasn't drafted

17) One source says that Barlow’s representatives told teams not to draft him in the second round because he preferred to go the two-way route. I’m actively trying to follow up on this to see if I can get it confirmed on record.

rankingtear
06-25-2022, 06:16 AM
Trading the 38th pick in a deep draft for a future SRP, probably in the late 50s, and cash ? Disappointing. They could have signed Barlow even without Memphis money and using the pick in a wiser manner. Not a good move.

Hard to imagine LAL being a top 10 team in two years.

Ariel
06-25-2022, 06:30 AM
Great write up.

Last season really disappointing to me. I hated the draft, and failed to see whatever everyone else projected on Primo. That's still the case, though I hope it's me who's wrong. In any case, I thought we were really needing a youth & talent infusion and this draft was pivotal, and the moves made at the trade deadline, getting the Toronto & Boston picks, peaked my interest, so I started to follow this class closely. Sochan caught my eye from the beginning, watching Baylor he seemed to have a spotlight on him at all times, he was everywhere the action required, and seemed like such a perfect fit I became enamored with the prospect of getting him. I also began to follow Blake Wesley, seemed like the perfect prospect for our range: raw, but with obvious potential. And began to fear he'd be picked in the teens, which seemed like a no brainer to me, Also, I saw this class as deeper than most, so I went over scenarios in my head to get 3 of the guys I wanted, which I was sure would go in the 10 to 20 range: trading back from 9 to 13 & 15 and hoping Sochan was still there, trading up from 20 & 25 as not to miss out on some of the talent available. As things turned out, our guys slipped through the clumsy fingers of other teams desperate for immediate success, and this outcome is so close to my hopes it seems like I wrote a letter to Santa and got pretty much all my wishes. All that was left is picking up Procida, which I was really high on as well, but getting him as well would feel like the Universe spoiling us. All in all, this is as great of an outcome as we could have hoped for, and we've dramatically improved our position for the future. Great job timvp following events closely.

tbdog
06-25-2022, 08:11 AM
That was a good fucking article

CGD
06-25-2022, 08:17 AM
Again, thanks! Great stuff.

Game had really been stepped up around here thanks to quality pieces of late.

Biggems
06-25-2022, 08:23 AM
I do not know anything about Barlow, but I am stokes that we got Hall. He was one of the UDFA players I wanted us to sign. I also wanted Jabari Walker, but the Blazers drafted him at 57, the 2nd time in the draft that they cock blocked us.....the first was Procida.

kjhip1
06-25-2022, 08:45 AM
Great write-up Timvp, thanks for the break down of everything that went on behind the scenes. It’s been historically hard to figure out what the FO thinks. Now we got something to look forward to in the summer league with the rooks and primo! I’m really interested to see Primo play and see what he’s been working on.

Chinook
06-25-2022, 08:57 AM
I just want ot make it clear that the Spurs don't "have" Hall. They are having him play on their SL team, but that doesn't give them any rights to him. He could be signed by another team tomorrow. The Spurs have Barlow's rights for three years if they want to keep giving him contracts. Now, Hall might get a two-way from the Spurs later on, but not now.

exstatic
06-25-2022, 09:16 AM

Could you please hold off on slitting your wrists until we know WHAT pick it is? Doesn’t have to be Memphis own…

Chinook
06-25-2022, 09:26 AM
Could you please hold off on slitting your wrists until we know WHAT pick it is? Doesn’t have to be Memphis own…

It's officially LAL's 2024 pick.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

2024 second round draft pick from L.A. Lakers
L.A. Lakers' 2024 2nd round pick to San Antonio (via Memphis) [L.A. Lakers-Memphis, 9/10/2021; Memphis-San Antonio, 6/24/2022]

In terms of pure picks, it's not an improvement. But it's nice to have a guaranteed extra second in four of the next six drafts

John B
06-25-2022, 09:28 AM

They got a future 2nd round on top of money to pay for Barlow. Pretty clever really.

Ariel
06-25-2022, 09:33 AM
From the official NBA site (further reassurance): https://www.nba.com/grizzlies/news/memphis-grizzlies-acquire-draft-rights-to-kennedy-chandler-from-san-antonio-spurs-220624

Memphis, Tenn. – The Memphis Grizzlies today announced the team acquired the draft rights to Kennedy Chandler, the No. 38 overall pick in the 2022 NBA Draft, from the San Antonio Spurs for a 2024 second round draft pick (via the Los Angeles Lakers).

Dex
06-25-2022, 09:40 AM
Great write-up, and just want to thank timvp for all of his efforts here. Not only taking the time to write up the content, but I can't imagine the behind the scenes work it takes to evaluate these players, network with scouts, etc.

As your Big Boards and the draft showed...you were basically on target. Moreso than some of the "major media" outlets out there.

This is why SpursTalk is the quintessential place for Spurs discussion, thanks to LJ and Kori Ellis

JPB
06-25-2022, 09:41 AM
Called the Dieng smokescreen, tbh.

Not possible that so many people in NBA or fan circles were figuring out he was spurs pick and that he actually would. Very unspursy.

Dex
06-25-2022, 09:42 AM
It's officially LAL's 2024 pick.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

In terms of pure picks, it's not an improvement. But it's nice to have a guaranteed extra second in four of the next six drafts

Especially from an asset perspective. We probably won't use some of those picks, but we can package them to bring people in or move people out.

offset formation
06-25-2022, 09:43 AM
Hard to imagine LAL being a top 10 team in two years.

They'll be fine. They're the LA freaking Lakers. Once Westbrook is off the books, they'll still have LeBron. My guess is Unibrow is gone too. Thus theyll have a bunch if capspace. They'll just replace those guys with the absolute best available FAs because they can. They rarely have to draft to win. It sucks buts its how the world works.

John B
06-25-2022, 09:50 AM
I am starting to appreciate the draft better after the dust settled:

1 go-to scorer- Brahnam
2 defensive PF - Sochan
3 point of attack defender - Sochan, Brahnam and Wesley (both 6’10” wingspan)
4 Backup Center - Barlow

Plus over the fence prospect Blake, with Iveyish athleticism still raw but already dominating the workout
All three trajectories to be top draft prospects next year as their roles increased.
Sochan would start to dominate when his Point Forward skills are further developed. A better Simmons, Barkley-esque bully in the paint.
Brahnam not first-step fast but knowing how to manufacture points
I don’t want to get ahead of myself, but these guys have over the fence upsides, could be really really good, enough for me to forget Davis :lol

offset formation
06-25-2022, 09:51 AM
Called the Dieng smokescreen, tbh.

Not possible that so many people in NBA or fan circles were figuring out he was spurs pick and that he actually would. Very unspursy.

Lol. OKC never smokescreened about him. I posted like 2 months ago how one of their scouts went on record saying he was the steal of this draft. Multiple other teams were clearly very high on him, including PATFO, as timvp reported his intel said he was a possibility.

And what ended up happening is we took the BPA as Sochan was clearly higher on their board. But OKC gave up 3 backdoor FRPs for him. There was no smoke. Dieng is all fire.

I'm gonna love watching the ST narrative have to eat crow on him. And yall will get plenty of opportunities as we face him 4 times each year. He's gonna be good to great. Smoke ain't worth 3 FRPs.

cutewizard
06-25-2022, 09:52 AM

1 go-to scorer- Brahnam
2 defensive PF - Sochan
4 Backup Center - Barlow

Plus over the fence prospect Blake, with Iveyish athleticism still raw but already dominating the workout
All three trajectories to be top draft prospects next year as their roles increased.
Sochan would start to dominate when his Point Forward skills are further developed. A better Simmons, Barkley-esque bully in the paint.
I don’t want to get ahead of myself, but these guys have over the fence upsides, could be really really good, enough for me to forget Davis :lol

---------------------------------------------------------

Plus the Jordan Hall --- Point Forward, too

cutewizard
06-25-2022, 09:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_EPG9ezocI

Russ
06-25-2022, 10:03 AM
Thanks, timvp.

You answered the biggest question I had, the cherry on top question -- whether the Spurs would've take Procida at 38 (my hope was growing as it continued to look more possible until it didn't).

I'll be in Vegas in two weeks to see the Spurs first three games. This will be a fun team to watch (although I'm pretty sure most Spurs games will be at Cox Pavilion rather than the main stage as usual).

Can't wait to see Sharpe's coming out party (spare the jokes) for Portland as well!

rankingtear
06-25-2022, 10:05 AM
They'll be fine. They're the LA freaking Lakers. Once Westbrook is off the books, they'll still have LeBron. My guess is Unibrow is gone too. Thus theyll have a bunch if capspace. They'll just replace those guys with the absolute best available FAs because they can. They rarely have to draft to win. It sucks buts its how the world works.

Lebron might not that is when Bronny is draftable and AD still on the books and looks broken down the last 2 years.

cutewizard
06-25-2022, 10:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhvitapFtLY

offset formation
06-25-2022, 10:11 AM
Lebron might not that is when Bronny is draftable and AD still on the books and looks broken down the last 2 years.

They'll swap him back home to Chicago for DeRozan. Draft Bronny wherever they have to. Then get Durant and every other FA looking to win. Theyll be a playoff team in 2 years, injuries aside. They don't have to rebuild. It's bullshit but it's reality

Degoat
06-25-2022, 10:14 AM
Over on the Hawks fan site they are wanting DJ so bad lol they’re off-season is going to be ruined if they don’t get him

John B
06-25-2022, 10:22 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhvitapFtLY

Holy crap. This guy is on attack mode all the time, and he’s not shy. Goodbye Lonnie. Seriously if he comes out next year, this guy would be top 5 prospect, all 3 of them as a matter of fact. It’s going to be a great Summer League :lol

Thanks for sharing.

ace3g
06-25-2022, 10:22 AM
https://twitter.com/Matthew_Tynan/status/1540705819565740032

Seventyniner
06-25-2022, 10:23 AM
I'm not bothered by trading #38 if there was nobody the Spurs really liked there.

John B
06-25-2022, 10:24 AM
Over on the Hawks fan site they are wanting DJ so bad lol they’re off-season is going to be ruined if they don’t get him

Nah Dejounte is gonna love these kids. We got ourselves some serious ballers :lol

T Park
06-25-2022, 10:36 AM

This was not a deep draft.

T Park
06-25-2022, 10:38 AM

LeBron won’t be on the team in 2 years.

T Park
06-25-2022, 10:40 AM
Thanks, timvp.

You answered the biggest question I had, the cherry on top question -- whether the Spurs would've take Procida at 38 (my hope was growing as it continued to look more possible until it didn't).

I'll be in Vegas in two weeks to see the Spurs first three games. This will be a fun team to watch (although I'm pretty sure most Spurs games will be at Cox Pavilion rather than the main stage as usual).

Can't wait to see Sharpe's coming out party (spare the jokes) for Portland as well!

Sunday the 10th they’re inside the main arena . Already got my tickets booked ��

John B
06-25-2022, 11:03 AM
Lol. OKC never smokescreened about him. I posted like 2 months ago how one of their scouts went on record saying he was the steal of this draft. Multiple other teams were clearly very high on him, including PATFO, as timvp reported his intel said he was a possibility.

And what ended up happening is we took the BPA as Sochan was clearly higher on their board. But OKC gave up 3 backdoor FRPs for him. There was no smoke. Dieng is all fire.

I'm gonna love watching the ST narrative have to eat crow on him. And yall will get plenty of opportunities as we face him 4 times each year. He's gonna be good to great. Smoke ain't worth 3 FRPs.

Bruh, when Sochan starts bullying Dieng in the paint, you’ll get your wits back. We got Sochan! Stop worrying about Dieng. Sochan is the best overall defensive player on this draft. Plus once they develop him as a Point Forward, put in another 25 muscles in that frame, Sochan will be a modern NBA big bully. While Dieng would still be tossing floaters.

offset formation
06-25-2022, 11:10 AM

He will be if they draft Bronny.

duncan2150
06-25-2022, 11:11 AM
Really interesting comments on Wesley, really big potential. I hope he will pan out in silver and black.

offset formation
06-25-2022, 11:17 AM
Bruh, when Sochan starts bullying Dieng in the paint, you’ll get your wits back. We got Sochan! Stop worrying about Dieng. Sochan is the best overall defensive player on this draft. Plus once they develop him as a Point Forward, put in another 25 muscles in that frame, Sochan will be a modern NBA big bully. While Dieng would still be tossing floaters.

You misunderstood. I am thrilled with Sochan. In order I wanted Murray & Mathurian (should they fall), Dieng, Daniels, Sochan. We only had an option of Dieng and Sochan by the time we drafted. I understand PATFO had Sochan higher on their board than I did. But I made it clear before the draft I'd be "estatic with Sochan."

So my post to which you responded wasn't shade on Sochan, unlike last year when I did have shade for PATFO for their Primo pick over Sengun.

This post was merely a defense of Dieng because he got thrashed on this board by a whole bunch of folks that did not watch a millisecond of his tape. And it irritates the shit out of me. He's gonna show out. And I hope he does to shove it down the ignorant throats of folks on this forum that unnecessarily and foolishly attacked him as a soft reach.

BackHome
06-25-2022, 12:48 PM
Yeah, I liked Dieng he gave me some Duncan vibes watching his tape, but I am still happy with the draft and getting Sochan at 9 finally gives us a bully PF and someone over 6'5..lol

SPURt
06-25-2022, 12:55 PM
Thanks timvp for the write up! Best draft in the post Duncan era. I enjoyed last season way more than I expected, really excited for this one now. We saw 5 chips over Tim’s long career, the losses during that time hurt like crazy because the Spurs were always competitive. This phase of fandom is different. The front office is grabbing talent. Looking forward to seeing a few of these guys rise to the challenge.

John B
06-25-2022, 01:36 PM
I only wish Pop would give these guys more slacks. Sometimes he’s trying to put a square peg in a round hole, curtailing the natural abilities and aggressiveness. Let Manu be Manu.

ace3g
06-26-2022, 03:23 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FWMnpk6XEAAUBpn?format=jpg&name=large

source: https://twitter.com/keshxn1/status/1541119368750325767

ace3g
06-26-2022, 03:49 PM
Spurs Notes: Branham, Wesley, Walker, Sochan, Popovich (https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/06/spurs-notes-branham-wesley-walker-sochan-popovich.html)

June 25th 2022 at 7:24pm CST by Arthur Hill

Malaki Branham (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/branhma01.html?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-) and Blake Wesley (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/weslebl01.html?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-) impressed the Spurs so much with their competitiveness at a pre-draft workout that the team decided to take both players, writes Tom Orsborn of The San Antonio Express-News (https://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Malaki-Branham-Blake-Wesley-sold-Spurs-with-17265834.php). The two guards were matched up against each other in a 3-on-3 scrimmage and both took advantage of the opportunity.

“I felt like we was competing for a spot, so I was going extra hard and going after him,” Wesley said of Branham. He also tried to outshine Duke’s Wendell Moore (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/moorewe01.html?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-), who took part in the scrimmage as well, explaining, “They had a lot more hype than me, so I wanted to go at them.”

General manager Brian Wright said the Spurs expected Branham to be selected in the mid-teens or possibly late in the lottery and were prepared to trade up for him before he fell to No. 20.

“He’s smart, tough, competitive and coachable, and those are all things we were looking to find in this draft,” Wright said.

There’s more from San Antonio:

The addition of two guards casts doubt on the future of Lonnie Walker (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/walkelo01.html?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-), who is headed for free agency, Orsborn adds in a separate story (https://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/allspursnation/article/Spurs-Walker-at-crossroads-17265298.php). The Spurs can make him restricted by extending a $6.3MM qualifying offer by Wednesday, but there may no longer be a role for him in San Antonio. “He has done a phenomenal job in his development over the years and we saw the consistency he brought, especially in the second half of the season when he really hit his stride,” Wright said. “At the appropriate time, we will sit with (his representatives) and him and try to find out what’s next for him and the franchise.”

Jeff McDonald of the San Antonio Express-News (https://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Globetrotting-Sochan-eager-to-find-home-with-Spurs-17265895.php?utm_campaign=CMS%20Sharing%20Tools%20 (Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral) looks at the international background of lottery pick Jeremy Sochan (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/sochaje01.html?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-), who had to learn basketball from his mother because there weren’t many accomplished coaches in the English town where the family lived when he was young. The organization is impressed by Sochan’s versatility and plans to use him all along the front line.

Coach Gregg Popovich called each of the Spurs’ draft picks Thursday night to welcome them to the team, McDonald tweets (https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/1540475733059014656), adding that it’s a pretty clear indication that Popovich plans to return for another season.

Cardinal
06-26-2022, 04:27 PM
Spurs Notes: Branham, Wesley, Walker, Sochan, Popovich (https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/06/spurs-notes-branham-wesley-walker-sochan-popovich.html)

June 25th 2022 at 7:24pm CST by Arthur Hill

Malaki Branham (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/branhma01.html?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-) and Blake Wesley (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/weslebl01.html?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-) impressed the Spurs so much with their competitiveness at a pre-draft workout that the team decided to take both players, writes Tom Orsborn of The San Antonio Express-News (https://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Malaki-Branham-Blake-Wesley-sold-Spurs-with-17265834.php). The two guards were matched up against each other in a 3-on-3 scrimmage and both took advantage of the opportunity.

“I felt like we was competing for a spot, so I was going extra hard and going after him,” Wesley said of Branham. He also tried to outshine Duke’s Wendell Moore (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/moorewe01.html?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-), who took part in the scrimmage as well, explaining, “They had a lot more hype than me, so I wanted to go at them.”

General manager Brian Wright said the Spurs expected Branham to be selected in the mid-teens or possibly late in the lottery and were prepared to trade up for him before he fell to No. 20.

“He’s smart, tough, competitive and coachable, and those are all things we were looking to find in this draft,” Wright said.

There’s more from San Antonio:

The addition of two guards casts doubt on the future of Lonnie Walker (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/walkelo01.html?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-), who is headed for free agency, Orsborn adds in a separate story (https://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/allspursnation/article/Spurs-Walker-at-crossroads-17265298.php). The Spurs can make him restricted by extending a $6.3MM qualifying offer by Wednesday, but there may no longer be a role for him in San Antonio. “He has done a phenomenal job in his development over the years and we saw the consistency he brought, especially in the second half of the season when he really hit his stride,” Wright said. “At the appropriate time, we will sit with (his representatives) and him and try to find out what’s next for him and the franchise.”
Jeff McDonald of the San Antonio Express-News (https://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Globetrotting-Sochan-eager-to-find-home-with-Spurs-17265895.php?utm_campaign=CMS%20Sharing%20Tools%20 (Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral) looks at the international background of lottery pick Jeremy Sochan (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/sochaje01.html?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-), who had to learn basketball from his mother because there weren’t many accomplished coaches in the English town where the family lived when he was young. The organization is impressed by Sochan’s versatility and plans to use him all along the front line.
Coach Gregg Popovich called each of the Spurs’ draft picks Thursday night to welcome them to the team, McDonald tweets (https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/1540475733059014656), adding that it’s a pretty clear indication that Popovich plans to return for another season.

Lol just drives home again how much better timvp's reporting is

LkrFan
06-26-2022, 04:27 PM
Rumor:

We move :wow

mo7888
06-26-2022, 04:30 PM
Rumor:

We move :wow

No..

PhantomDashCam
06-26-2022, 06:25 PM
Some nuggets from S.I about the Sochan pick too:

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/06/24/nba-draft-paolo-banchero-chet-holmgren-jabari-smith-final-thoughts

...Some around the league suspect that Damian Lillard was a major factor in the Blazers’ decision, which feels like a pretty reasonable hunch: as Portland continues to try and toe the line between competing for the playoffs and laying groundwork for a post-Lillard future, cooperation with their star player is an essential part of maintaining a happy equilibrium within the organization. According to sources with knowledge of the situation, Lillard was involved with the Blazers’ predraft process and took a strong interest in Sharpe during his visits to Portland. (Per sources, Sharpe worked out for the Blazers on two different occasions, once in early June and again on June 15.) I was told that members of Portland’s group made a ton of calls to Kentucky staffers throughout the process and were clearly quite invested. And I suspect the Blazers would never have taken a clear long-view route at this pick without Lillard’s cosign.

By taking Sharpe at No. 7, the Blazers gifted the Pelicans and Spurs with their preferred options at No. 8 and No. 9. New Orleans’s brass had fallen in love with Daniels and were anxiously waiting to see if he’d make it to their selection. San Antonio coveted Jeremy Sochan, but was nervous the Pelicans might take him at No. 8. Washington, picking at No. 10, was viewed by some rival teams as Sharpe’s floor. But the Wizards were also quite high on Johnny Davis, who was the obvious solution to their backcourt needs at that spot. All four of those players ranked inside my top 10 and could have been in play at any of those spots. And to me, that’s where the second, high-quality tier of draft prospects ended...

Mr. Body
06-26-2022, 06:44 PM
Some nuggets from S.I about the Sochan pick too:

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/06/24/nba-draft-paolo-banchero-chet-holmgren-jabari-smith-final-thoughts

1. I don't understand why Orlando was playing the clown. It confused the guy they picked and did nothing for them otherwise. Whatever.

2. Portland covered themselves in embarrassment the way they tanked and wound up with... a guy no one knows whether he can even play. Sheesh.

PhantomDashCam
06-26-2022, 06:50 PM
1. I don't understand why Orlando was playing the clown. It confused the guy they picked and did nothing for them otherwise. Whatever.

2. Portland covered themselves in embarrassment the way they tanked and wound up with... a guy no one knows whether he can even play. Sheesh.

Pure speculation but Dame Lillard just Insta'd a Photoshop picture of he and Kevin Durant playing together in Portland.
If Brooklyn was to blow it up, Sharpe as a lottery talent may hold some appeal...

Dejounte
06-26-2022, 06:55 PM
Pure speculation but Dame Lillard just Insta'd a Photoshop picture of he and Kevin Durant playing together in Portland.
If Brooklyn was to blow it up, Sharpe as a lottery talent may hold some appeal...

To go from one questionable character (Irving) to another? :lmao :lmao

PhantomDashCam
06-26-2022, 06:56 PM
To go from one questionable character (Irving) to another? :lmao :lmao

On Brand at least :lol

Mr. Body
06-26-2022, 06:57 PM

Honestly think Marks is smarter than that.

exstatic
06-26-2022, 07:20 PM

He probably won’t be on the team a year from now. Bronny is in next years draft, supposedly.

LkrFan
06-26-2022, 07:25 PM
Pop think John Collins is the next Duncan? :lol

Eaglenole2002
06-26-2022, 07:28 PM
Just wanted to post a thanks to TiMVP. Awesome article with lots of interesting intel. I don’t post very often but Im a longtime lurker, and articles/threads like this are what keeps me coming here.

It’s interesting that you had Branham as the last guy left that you could have seen the Spurs take in the lottery. A couple of weeks ago I thought he might have been a dark horse pick at 9, but then I read about how bad his defense was so I cooled on him at that spot. Once we were on the clock at 20, I was more confident that he was the selection than any pick since Duncan.

Wesley I was less sure about. I thought he was BPA and he the highest upside, but I figured they wouldn’t take another guard or even a third rookie to roster in 2022-23. I fully expected Procida to be the pick. I’m sad in a way to see he was the guy at 38. Would have been a home run if we didn’t get sniped.

spurs10
06-26-2022, 07:32 PM
Great write-up, and just want to thank timvp (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8) for all of his efforts here. Not only taking the time to write up the content, but I can't imagine the behind the scenes work it takes to evaluate these players, network with scouts, etc.

As your Big Boards and the draft showed...you were basically on target. Moreso than some of the "major media" outlets out there.

This is why SpursTalk is the quintessential place for Spurs discussion, thanks to LJ and Kori Ellis (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=6) Couldn't agree more. What a great read, I'm really excited about these guys. A very successful draft it appears!

1 go-to scorer- Brahnam
2 defensive PF - Sochan
4 Backup Center - Barlow

I don’t want to get ahead of myself, but these guys have over the fence upsides, could be really really good, enough for me to forget Davis :lol Yep!

mo7888
06-26-2022, 07:34 PM

It's more than likely a 3 team deal with Collins going elsewhere bringing us extra picks..kind of like they tried to structure with Sacramento....it could still be Sacramento with their 1st next year coming here...

Mr. Body
06-26-2022, 07:36 PM

1. If the Spurs get rid of Dejounte and wind up with John Collins, I'll fucking riot.

2. I don't get the push to get rid of Dejounte right now as it is.

mo7888
06-26-2022, 07:44 PM
1. If the Spurs get rid of Dejounte and wind up with John Collins, I'll fucking riot.

I still think its an iteration of the 3 team deal with Sacramento where they get Collins and we get their first...except now instead of ivey we want their unprotected pick next year without protection...

CGD
06-26-2022, 08:05 PM
I still think its an iteration of the 3 team deal with Sacramento where they get Collins and we get their first...except now instead of ivey we want their unprotected pick next year without protection...

It better be. A DJ-Collins swap make no sense. You’d think they’d want to pair those two and trade them do each other.

I’m also thinking they can get a much better deal for DJ than anything Atlanta could put together. See Knicks discussion above.

mo7888
06-26-2022, 08:09 PM
It better be. A DJ-Collins swap make no sense. You’d think they’d want to pair those two and trade them do each other.

I’m also thinking they can get a much better deal for DJ than anything Atlanta could put together. See Knicks discussion above.

I agree on all counts...JC makes no sense here without DJ...and NY can put together a very compelling offer but, they only do that if they strike out on Brunson..

Ariel
06-26-2022, 08:10 PM

Agreed. I'm not opposed to trading Dejounte for the right price, but this feels like dumping him. Definitely not good.

RC_Drunkford
06-26-2022, 08:14 PM
This better not be true. I‘ll take John Collins for J-Rich and a bag of chips, but no DJ trade

Ariel
06-26-2022, 08:40 PM
This better not be true. I‘ll take John Collins for J-Rich and a bag of chips, but no DJ trade
only if the bag of chips has 100 million dollars in it.

Degoat
06-26-2022, 09:16 PM
I love DJ guys but let’s be honest We kind of SUCK! His value is at an all time high and maybe the spurs want to finally embrace the tank? I still would say there’s not about a 5% chance anything happens with DJ.

Ariel
06-26-2022, 09:24 PM
The only explanation possible is that they were trying to gauge what they could possibly get in a trade back. That is, whether they could actually trade back and still get Banchero (for instance, if Houston had their eyes set on Jabari Smith, which obviously wasn't the case), or they could receive a crazy offer even if it meant getting a different player (which didn't happen). Don't know which of the two was, but they held their cards tightly and, when it became apparent nothing was happening, they took their guy all along. Plus maybe someone made a fortune on bets by holding this information and using their insider trading on the matter...

CGD
06-26-2022, 09:24 PM
I love DJ guys but let’s be honest We kind of SUCK! His value is at an all time high and maybe the spurs want to finally embrace the tank? I still would say there’s not about a 5% chance anything happens with DJ.

There is a strong possibility that DJ leaves us in two years. Spurs have to weigh that especially in light of 1) Klutch, and 2) Kawhi trauma. This is probably the best time to get max value for him.

SpurSpike
06-26-2022, 09:26 PM
At first I thought they were just listening to offers on DJ but it seems they are serious about trading him. I even read somewhere that dejounte actually worked out in Atlanta recently. Like wtf are they thinking? I'm not liking this.

Also why go after collins so hard now when you drafted Sochan?

exstatic
06-26-2022, 09:57 PM
At first I thought they were just listening to offers on DJ but it seems they are serious about trading him. I even read somewhere that dejounte actually worked out in Atlanta recently. Like wtf are they thinking? I'm not liking this.

Also why go after collins so hard now when you drafted Sochan?

Just like during the draft, this is probably a 3 team trade, with Collins going to the third team, who provides pick compensation to us.

Ariel
06-26-2022, 10:29 PM
Just like during the draft, this is probably a 3 team trade, with Collins going to the third team, who provides pick compensation to us.
It would make sense, but if that were the case, the Spurs wouldn't be asking around about Collins as they're reportedly doing (as per the reporter who broke that info).

Degoat
06-26-2022, 10:30 PM
I sound like a 13 year old girl lmao BUT Trae Young liked Dejountes last Twitter picture with the title “Can’t Wait.”

mo7888
06-26-2022, 10:41 PM
It would make sense, but if that were the case, the Spurs wouldn't be asking around about Collins as they're reportedly doing (as per the reporter who broke that info).

Wouldn't that indicate that they're looking for a 3rd team to take Collins?

Ariel
06-26-2022, 10:45 PM
Wouldn't that indicate that they're looking for a 3rd team to take Collins?
Why would you care to do your homework about some player's character, if he's simply a chip going to some third team?

mystargtr34
06-26-2022, 11:04 PM
I do think Dejounte and Trae are a good fit together in the backcourt. Atlanta desperatey needs defense on the perimeter and a second creator. Dejounte fills both needs. He can easily guard 2's and/or the best backcourt player on the other team while you hide Trae on the lesser of the two. So, I think Atlanta is willing to give up a lot to get him. But I'm still not sure Capela-Hunter-Huerter-Dejounte-Trae gets you past the Bucks, Celtics or Heat out East. They could beat any other team in the East though.

What I am curious about from a Spurs perspective, what else do the Spurs get along with Collins if they do send Dejounte there. I view Collins as only a slightly net positive asset because of his contract. Dude still has 4 years $102 million left on his deal starting next season and hasn't proven to be worth any where near that. So how much do the Hawks have to give up to meet fair value for Dejounte. I think its at least Collins + 3 unprotected 1sts, or Collins + AJ Griffin + 2 unprotected 1sts. Or if the Spurs are trying to win now and have other moves in the pipeline (Ayton), then they might want Collins, AJ Griffin, Bogdanovic and a 1st and send back McDermott and/or Richardson along with Dejounte.

Hawks 1sts would probably only amount to picks in the 15-25 range as they'd make the playoffs in the East. How much value do those picks have?

mo7888
06-26-2022, 11:13 PM
Why would you care to do your homework about some player's character, if he's simply a chip going to some third team?

I don't think the phrase 'asking around about Collins' has to do with character...I think it has to do with guaging interest in him..

Ariel
06-26-2022, 11:31 PM
I don't think the phrase 'asking around about Collins' has to do with character...I think it has to do with guaging interest in him..
I listened to the guy's podcast (who broke the news). He said that San Antonio was doing their due diligence on Collins, asking around about him, not gauging his value. May be true, may not be, but that's what he said.

mo7888
06-26-2022, 11:44 PM
I listened to the guy's podcast (who broke the news). He said that San Antonio was doing their due diligence on Collins, asking around about him, not gauging his value. May be true, may not be, but that's what he said.

That may be what meant but when I hear doing due diligence I think guaging value... but you're view may be the correct one here..

KingKev
06-27-2022, 05:05 AM
He probably won’t be on the team a year from now. Bronny is in next years draft, supposedly.

Not eligible till the 2024 draft…

exstatic
06-27-2022, 07:40 AM

No. The Spurs never asked about Collins, the Hawks called about Dejounte. The Spurs simply listened, and stated their price.

Dejounte is not being shopped. The spurs are simply listening.

LkrFan
06-27-2022, 02:08 PM

Try this on for size:

:downspin:

Kurik
06-27-2022, 02:24 PM
Need a post draft intel article stat.

AFBlue
06-27-2022, 02:42 PM
Gallo, Collins, whatever. The name doesn't matter, only the picks.

goliath
06-27-2022, 02:48 PM
If its Gallo and 3 or 4 1sts I don't see how another team out there couldn't beat that deal.

duncan2150
06-27-2022, 02:56 PM
Gallo, Collins, whatever. The name doesn't matter, only the picks.

no no no, atlanta's picks are not good assets.

KingKev
06-27-2022, 03:07 PM
Eating Gaillinari alone should come with an FRP.

PATFO isn’t this stupid and I’m not high on them as they have made some head scratchers the last 5 years. Career ending moves. They hust got their owns heads out of their own asses the last 6 months. No way they stick it right back up.

RC_Drunkford
06-27-2022, 03:18 PM
apparently Gallo's contract is only partially guaranteed 5 million

KingKev
06-27-2022, 03:20 PM
apparently Gallo's contract is only partially guaranteed 5 million

By Wednesday. If the Spurs are stupid enough to make this move they are definitely stupid enough to guarantee him.

AFBlue
06-27-2022, 03:36 PM
no no no, atlanta's picks are not good assets.

Who's to say only ATL's picks are in a proposed deal? Could be a three team trade with more valuable picks coming back to the Spurs.

My point remains...the Spurs shouldn't care about what name or names are attached to any deal...it's all about maximizing the picks.

duncan2150
06-27-2022, 04:08 PM
Who's to say only ATL's picks are in a proposed deal? Could be a three team trade with more valuable picks coming back to the Spurs.

My point remains...the Spurs shouldn't care about what name or names are attached to any deal...it's all about maximizing the picks.

yes and mine is you should have at least one good young player. With the picks you not even sure to have a Dejounte type of player.

Degoat
06-27-2022, 04:19 PM
It’s fun to speculate and discuss but until Woj, Shams, or Windhorst reports something I wouldn’t believe it tbh

T Park
06-27-2022, 04:44 PM
It’s fun to speculate and discuss but until Woj, Shams, or Windhorst reports something I wouldn’t believe it tbh

Ridiculous. They’re not the harbingers of truth.

AFBlue
06-27-2022, 05:37 PM
yes and mine is you should have at least one good young player. With the picks you not even sure to have a Dejounte type of player.

Maybe. Hard to know without having an idea of the possible prospects or pick protections.