PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: L.A. coach remembers old times vs. Spurs

Kori Ellis
11-30-2005, 02:15 AM
Spurs notebook: L.A. coach remembers old times vs. Spurs

Web Posted: 11/30/2005 12:14 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

When Lakers management decided after the 2004 NBA Finals to dismantle a unit that had won three titles in the previous five seasons by trading Shaquille O'Neal and dismissing coach Phil Jackson, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich likened it to the breakup of the Soviet Union.

Jackson, who hadn't heard about Popovich's geopolitical comparison, got a good laugh out of the notion.

"That's pretty good," Jackson said.

Popovich's regret at the Lakers' breakup was losing a rival that always brought out the best in his team, especially in the playoffs.

Jackson agreed.

"We matched a lot of stuff up," he said. "We were successful, overall, for the most part. They had us that one year, but we were successful.

"The great thing is that Gregg is a very solid coach and puts a lot of effort into it and his teams are very disciplined. They always drew the best out of what we were, as a team when we had to play them (in the playoffs), and it always made us better in the next series."

Mad hatter: In Jackson's Zen culture, the object of life is to be "in the moment," never dwelling on the past or looking too far into the future.

Thus, Jackson said he didn't spend much time thinking about the last time he had been in SBC Center. That, of course, was the night Derek Fisher hit a shot at the buzzer to beat the Spurs in Game 5 of the 2004 Western Conference Finals.

"I just remember the noise going from 25,000 decibels to nothing in one shot," Jackson said of that playoff victory for the Lakers. "That was it."

Jackson did take a trip down memory lane during his brief stay in San Antonio.

"There's a hatter (Paris Hatters) I've gone to to buy hats for years in San Antonio," Jackson said, "and I walked over there today and bought a hat. So there's the past. I have an affection for Borsalino hats and I have bought three or four of those here."

Ouch: Manu Ginobili twisted his right ankle in the fourth quarter but continued to play. His foot, which he said has bothered him on and off this season, was still sore after the game.

On the boards: Los Angeles' 17 offensive rebounds was one shy of the most the Spurs have allowed this season. Lamar Odom had nine of the Lakers' total.

Defense: Jackson said he figured Bruce Bowen probably would give Kobe Bryant a tough night.

"He does a lot of things to upset Kobe," Jackson said. "He gets up in his game."

Bowen held Bryant to 25 points on 9-of-33 shooting.

"He's the ultimate competitor," Bowen said. "He works hard night in and night out. ... Because of my respect for him, I just try to prepare for him as well as I can."

Brutalis
11-30-2005, 02:25 AM
I think Phil has this arrogant, laid back style to him. This year he just sits on the sidelines, and makes the same faces. It's like he feels so mighty he doesn't have to try like he used to or something.

I think it's because he feels tainted by Pop.

Bloodline666
11-30-2005, 02:33 AM
"There's a hatter (Paris Hatters) I've gone to to buy hats for years in San Antonio," Jackson said, "and I walked over there today and bought a hat. So there's the past. I have an affection for Borsalino hats and I have bought three or four of those here."
WHOA! I had no idea he bought a shitload of hats from here for years! I wonder how much he spends on hats alone in San Antonio...