PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Rumblings as the Free Agency Period Approaches

timvp
06-29-2022, 05:09 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-rumblings-nba-free-agency/

Ariel
06-29-2022, 06:10 AM
Going after Lavine if we trade Dejounte would make zero sense for the Spurs, and even less so for Lavine. We can't go for a top free agent and rebuild, or we'll neither contend nor improve. Can't have it both ways.

BillMc
06-29-2022, 06:22 AM
I still want to know what happened between Ayton and Willaims during the Game 7 meltdown against Dallas. Williams is a class guy and seems easy to get along with, yet Ayton did something to get in his doghouse second half of an elimination game.

CGD
06-29-2022, 06:35 AM
^ me too, but I feel that won’t come out until he’s on his next team.

I’m increasingly of the view that if they don’t get a godfather for Murray soon, they offer the guy the max offer sheet, and figure it out later. In two years his max deal won’t look like a max after the tv deal, and he may be easier to move if things go sideways.

AFBlue
06-29-2022, 06:37 AM
Gonna be an interesting next 36hrs

KingKev
06-29-2022, 06:44 AM
Going after Lavine if we trade Dejounte would make zero sense for the Spurs, and even less so for Lavine. We can't go for a top free agent and rebuild, or we'll neither contend nor improve. Can't have it both ways.

Unless he falls in our lap the Lavine ship has sailed regardless. With two more potentially high upside 2s drafted and no clear path to contention Lavine probably isn’t on their radar unless Chicago really fucks up and Lavine really wants to come here, which I doubt.

Spursfanfromafar
06-29-2022, 06:48 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-rumblings-nba-free-agency/

All said and done, "11) If the Spurs aren’t active in the free agent market, expect them to do what they did last summer: make trades in which they absorb unwanted contracts in return for draft picks. That worked out really well last offseason so it’s possible that the Spurs want to travel down that path once again. "

This..I think is the best route.. for the following reasons -

1) No Free Agent really fills a glaring need at the cost that free agent is available for.
2) The Spurs have a leader in Dejounte Murray, three starter-level/above replacement players in Keldon, Richardson and Vassell, a good center rotation in Poeltl and Collins and Sochan will fill the most glaring need - a defensive minded, switchable, high energy and tall PF who will complement the core in his first season. The rest of the Spurs squad is a mix of role players and developmental assets. This set is good enough to again threaten reaching the play-in while some of the key players (Keldon and Vassell) can be expected to make the next leap. The Spurs are in a way a year away from being the Grizzlies of 2021-22.
3) By trading Richardson, McDermott and if push comes to shove, Poeltl, the Spurs can garner more assets for next year's draft. They just need to know where they stand with the current group. If the current group flops and Spurs are stuck in the 12-15 spot, they should just trade all of Poeltl, McDermott and Richardson and tank to get in a position to get Wembayama. If they do better and are around the 8-11 spot, they might just continue what they did in 2021-22 and try the mixed approach of trying to reach the playoffs while garnering assets by trading Richardson and McDermott and whichever player they have managed to get to rent in their cap space for a contender to buy later

If the Spurs decide to give up Murray because of an enticing set of future assets and draft picks.. they should target Tyus Jones in the free agency who can compete with his brother for the starter's role. And they can pursue the same approach as 3) without Murray.

mo7888
06-29-2022, 07:33 AM

Yep...if we offer Lavine we're keeping DJ... I can't see that going any other way...that could even be the holdup on the trade...maybe they want to see what Chicago does with Lavine before pulling the trigger on trading DJ? My first option was always adding players better than DJ to play alongside him and Lavine fits that bill. I can't imagine Chicago won't max him though...

Dverde
06-29-2022, 07:59 AM
Only big move I could see is a sign and trade with Ayton and Poodle.

Dex
06-29-2022, 08:07 AM
With Phoenix, there's far less belief the Suns will ultimately match whatever offer Ayton can draw. The relationships between him and Phoenix's other primary actors—most notably head coach Monty Williams and point guard Chris Paul—seem untenable for an Ayton return. But there aren't many looming possibilities for him to find the maximum contract he is said to desire.

San Antonio, with its Murray conversations, appears willing to steer more towards a rebuild than offer a hefty salary. Perhaps the Raptors are the team that presents Deandre Ayton with the lucrative deal he covets, but Toronto could only afford such a contract by swinging a sign-and-trade for Ayton. Toronto continues to monitor the availability of several elite centers, sources said, including Utah Jazz All-Star Rudy Gobert.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10040325-latest-nba-free-agency-intel-buzz-on-dame-lillard-jalen-brunson-malik-monk-more

Dex
06-29-2022, 08:15 AM
I still want to know what happened between Ayton and Willaims during the Game 7 meltdown against Dallas. Williams is a class guy and seems easy to get along with, yet Ayton did something to get in his doghouse second half of an elimination game.

I heard some reports that Monty basically wanted Ayton to take a backseat role on offense and focus more on just defense and rebounding so that guys like Booker, Paul, and Bridges could be the primary scorers. Apparently that didn't sit well with Ayton, who wants to be a 1A or 1B option.

Read from that what you will, but to OP's point....Pop and Monty are built from the same cloth. If Ayton truly doesn't believe in Coach Williams, I'm not sure if he would expect any different treatment from Pop who basically molded Williams.

Mugen
06-29-2022, 08:19 AM
It took PATFO about 2 days to kill any good vibes from the Draft, pretty impressive tbh :lol

It's amazing how directionless this franchise still is almost 4+ years after Kawhi/Dennis dunked all over them. Caring about what Monty thinks when you'd literally be signing away one of their guys, jesus christ :lol

John B
06-29-2022, 08:34 AM
1. DJ will be traded for the best haul
2. Will rent cap space for picks later
3. No big names signing
4. Will run the same squad last year including Lonnie

Now FO prove me wrong.

TimDunkem
06-29-2022, 08:36 AM
It took PATFO about 2 days to kill any good vibes from the Draft, pretty impressive tbh :lol

It's amazing how directionless this franchise still is almost 4+ years after Kawhi/Dennis dunked all over them. Caring about what Monty thinks when you'd literally be signing away one of their guys, jesus christ :lol
Franchise is nutless, and all in the name of "class". How has class helped this team in FA again? Other than the LMA signing 7 fucking years ago? :lol

Dejounte
06-29-2022, 08:44 AM
3. No big names signing

Now FO prove me wrong.

they didnt prove you wrong already when they didnt draft Jalen Johnson? When they didnt draft Johnny Davis? When they didnt trade Murray for Simmons last year? When they didnt draft Duren (and you subsequently cried over and over in the draft thread about how the Spurs dont know what theyre doing)?

if we want to know what the Spurs are actually doing, we just need to read your thousands of posts about the same damn thing and think the opposite is happening

mo7888
06-29-2022, 08:45 AM
Franchise is nutless, and all in the name of "class". How has class helped this team in FA again? Other than the LMA signing 7 fucking years ago? :lol

I don't see how asking for an overpay on DJ and holding your ground can be described as nutless....I mean if they cave and send him for Collins and 3 lottery protected picks I'd get it but so far they seem to have dug in..

Mr. Body
06-29-2022, 08:50 AM

Wasn't the story that Ayton didn't want to go back into what was turning into a slaughter?

KingKev
06-29-2022, 08:52 AM
they didnt prove you wrong already when they didnt draft Jalen Johnson? When they didnt draft Johnny Davis? When they didnt trade Murray for Simmons last year? When they didnt draft Duren (and you subsequently cried over and over in the draft thread about how the Spurs dont know what theyre doing)?

if we want to know what the Spurs are actually doing, we just need to read your thousands of posts about the same damn thing and think the opposite is happening

haha John B is a walking contrarian indicator. Short everything he posts with a 100% success rate.

Mr. Body
06-29-2022, 08:57 AM
Throwing a contract at Ayton just to "figure it out later" seems like a really bad idea and the type the Spurs have been chary to do. They're not exactly a fire hose with money.

John B
06-29-2022, 08:59 AM

I don’t see Spurs drafted your boys Jalen Williams, Eason, Alondes, Duarte, Sengun. I got news for you… we’re on the same boat :lmao:lmao

Nobody’s forcing you to read my posts. Lighten up bruh :bobo

offset formation
06-29-2022, 09:03 AM

I posted about it, I think in the Ayton thread, like 2 or 3 days after the finals ended. I don't remember precisely but it was something to do with what he perceived as poor usage of him. Then a comment for which Monty took offense.

It's stuff that happens on every NBA roster, just so happens on this case, it was the build up in the finals.

BatManu20
06-29-2022, 09:03 AM
As expected.

John B
06-29-2022, 09:06 AM
haha John B (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=42719) is a walking contrarian indicator. Short everything he posts with a 100% success rate.

I’m just going to get disappointed with the lamest moves. Spurs are standing pat. It’s force of habit

BatManu20
06-29-2022, 09:07 AM
Jake Fischer is either the new Shams or this guy is completely full of shit. Only way he would know this imo is if he got intel from the Hawks org.

Dejounte
06-29-2022, 09:08 AM
I don’t see Spurs drafted your boys Jalen Williams, Eason, Alondes, Duarte, Sengun. I got news for you… we’re on the same boat :lmao:lmao

Nobody’s forcing you to read my posts. Lighten up bruh :bobo

The difference is, the number of times I’ve posted about any of those guys (and I barely posted about Sengun, Eason, Alondes btw) is a fraction compared to yours. You’re in every thread posting about guys that aren’t even the subject matter in some of them.

The only bone I’ll throw you is that you provide unwavering enthusiasm about the Spurs and the forum needs it when there’s a lot of negative nancies on this board. You provide balance. Just tone it the fuck down with redundant posts. Thank you.

RC_Drunkford
06-29-2022, 09:09 AM
Basically the Spurs won‘t do shit and run it back. This franchise is still operating like it has the big 3 on the roster. Make small moves to marginally improve while being stuck in the middle. Absolutely horrendous

John B
06-29-2022, 09:15 AM
I posted about it, I think in the Ayton thread, like 2 or 3 days after the finals ended. I don't remember precisely but it was something to do with what he perceived as poor usage of him. Then a comment for which Monty took offense.

It's stuff that happens on every NBA roster, just so happens on this case, it was the build up in the finals.

The Spurs are not getting him, so why bother? Seriously I’m expecting a signing of Gallo or Hayward for cap space rent or someone similar

CGD
06-29-2022, 09:18 AM
Jake Fischer is either the new Shams or this guy is completely full of shit. Only way he would know this imo is if he got intel from the Hawks org.

There are too many interested parties in having a “Jake Fischer” exist, not least of which the league which loves generating interest/content during the dead months of the year. I think most of his intel is founded in some reality.

And on this one, Jake gets to sit pretty even if things collapse btw spurs and Atlanta. Their is enough here to suggest there are real talks, so if they fail it’s not that he was full of shit, it’s that the teams couldn’t get there. Meanwhile his brand grows etc.

Mugen
06-29-2022, 09:20 AM
Basically the Spurs won‘t do shit and run it back. This franchise is still operating like it has the big 3 on the roster. Make small moves to marginally improve while being stuck in the middle. Absolutely horrendous

It's mind boggling tbh.

-They trade away DWhite and Murray/Vassell/Keldon all show signs of improvement the latter half of the year.
-They do a good job with the draft and bring in some guys that I think can be solid rotation pieces (Branham/Sochan) by early 2023
-They are flush with cap space and can make a very realistic run to make a talent upgrade by bringing in Ayton and possibly flipping Poetl for another piece
-There's literally nobody in the West that scares me next year

Sure, they're not a championship team but I think they'd have a shot at a 4-8 seed next year and once you're in the playoffs anything can happen in the aforementioned wide open West.

But they're exploring trading away the franchise leader + best player for a slim chance at a Top 5 pick? When they could have done that this last season? They won't even bad enough to be a bottom 5 team if they trade away Murray tbh....just completely direction-less BS from this inept FO that's likely being held back by the old man :lol

Mr. Body
06-29-2022, 09:24 AM
Eh, you wouldn't have gotten much for Dejounte Murray last summer. This was the year he blew up.

YoungbuckMurray
06-29-2022, 09:29 AM
Thinking outside the box but wonder if the spurs do move Murray for the 4picks + the young upcoming player could they then in turn take 2-3 of those picks and move it for SGA in OKC. Not sure they would want to move him but they always are looking for picks. Spurs get a dynamic PG who is 3 years younger and also Canadian to go with Primo. Ayton could still be in play or maybe Collins from Atlanta in the Murray trade. Again not sure if OKC would move him but just an out of the box thought

RC_Drunkford
06-29-2022, 09:31 AM
It's mind boggling tbh.

-They trade away DWhite and Murray/Vassell/Keldon all show signs of improvement the latter half of the year.
-They do a good job with the draft and bring in some guys that I think can be solid rotation pieces (Branham/Sochan) by early 2023
-They are flush with cap space and can make a very realistic run to make a talent upgrade by bringing in Ayton and possibly flipping Poetl for another piece

Sure, they're not a championship team but I think they'd have a shot at a 4-8 seed next year and once you're in the playoffs anything can happen in the aforementioned wide open West.

But they're exploring trading away the franchise leader + best player for a slim chance at a Top 5 pick? When they could have done that this last season? They won't even bad enough to be a bottom 5 team if they trade away Murray tbh....just completely direction-less BS from this inept FO that's likely being held back by the old man :lol

if you look at the moves they have made since 2018 it‘s pretty clear that it‘s all about letting the old man get his records

rjv
06-29-2022, 09:32 AM
considering this year's FA class, i would be perfectly happy going with: "If the Spurs aren’t active in the free agent market, expect them to do what they did last summer: make trades in which they absorb unwanted contracts in return for draft picks. That worked out really well last offseason so it’s possible that the Spurs want to travel down that path once again.

KingKev
06-29-2022, 09:34 AM
I’m just going to get disappointed with the lamest moves. Spurs are standing pat. It’s force of habit

That point I agree with. DJ gone, Primo the new starting point, Walker returning are all stretches.

Ice009
06-29-2022, 09:44 AM
Is Anfernee Simons actually any good? I know he put up some big numbers at the end of last season, but that was for a tanking team, so I'm not sure I can get a read on him based on that.

spurraider21
06-29-2022, 09:55 AM
It's mind boggling tbh.

I don’t know if they went into the process wanting to deal murray but it’s possible their tone shifted when they sensed just how much he could possibly fetch.

but otherwise i agree that it’s frustrating how quiet it’s been. Take a shot. And if things aren’t working out great you can flip richardson probably for a late first so you still continue to stockpile some assets on a growing team

exstatic
06-29-2022, 09:56 AM
Is Anfernee Simons actually any good? I know he put up some big numbers at the end of last season, but that was for a tanking team, so I'm not sure I can get a read on him based on that.

They actually shut him down before the tank so he wouldn’t ruin it. I don’t understand Portland, though. The two small guards who shoot lights out but play no defense model was obviously flawed, but they’re going to run it back again, with Simons instead of McCollum?

Mr. Body
06-29-2022, 09:58 AM
They actually shut him down before the tank so he wouldn’t ruin it. I don’t understand Portland, though. The two small guards who shoot lights out but play no defense model was obviously flawed, but they’re going to run it back again, with Simons instead of McCollum?

And tanked for the no-defensiest guard of all, Shaeden Sharpe.

exstatic
06-29-2022, 10:02 AM
It's mind boggling tbh.

There’s no way to prove from that team to a championship contender. You’ll have no cap room, and not even any late lottery picks, only ones from 15-20 or so. It’s the definition of a treadmill team.

stnick2261
06-29-2022, 10:03 AM
considering this year's FA class, i would be perfectly happy going with: "If the Spurs aren’t active in the free agent market, expect them to do what they did last summer: make trades in which they absorb unwanted contracts in return for draft picks. That worked out really well last offseason so it’s possible that the Spurs want to travel down that path once again.

I agree. Give all of the minutes to the youngest players so they can really be evaluated. Try to win (establish winning mentality), but don't worry about overall record (hopefully end up with nice draft pick). Get some extra draft picks in a deep draft and really see what gaps we have in the team next summer to fill through FA.

exstatic
06-29-2022, 10:08 AM
And tanked for the no-defensiest guard of all, Shaeden Sharpe.

They tanked hard, didn’t move into the top 4, and got knocked back from 6 to 7, two picks ahead of us. :lol

KingKev
06-29-2022, 10:10 AM
I’d consider this a successful off-season with the caveat this is a sh!t free agency so there are no targets who make sense.

1. Take a chance on another big like Jalen Smith or Mo Bamba. A 3yr deal in the area of 8-13mm for a young big with promise. Doesn’t break the bank, provides depth at a position of need and if they look good to start the season you can start considering moving Jak for future assets versus paying what is likely 15mm or more to resign him.

2. No McDermott like contracts. That was a head scratching waste of capital last off-season. DO NOT repeat a similar move. In fact make an effort to off-load him as he just gets in the way of our youth. I’d rather see one of our many young 2guards get time/play out of position as a SF than have McBooger back.

3. Find JRich a home in return for a young asset and or draft capital. I like JRich but it makes more sense to monetize him versus keeping him around as the locker room vet. That role can be filled via #4 below

4. Rent 15-30mm in cap space for young assets and or draft capital. 1 year term preferred. Those returning bad contracts ideally serve as the veteran leadership, positive locker room presence, perceived young OG type teammates to help the youth, provide stability and mentoring where fitting. Also become candidates to be moved again at the trade deadline for more draft capital

5. Extend Keldon somewhere in the area of 4yrs/70-80mm

Let the youth sink or swim and hopefully enter the 2023 draft with a top 5 pick while continuing to develop our young core. Enter the 2023 off-season with cap flex.

rjv
06-29-2022, 10:14 AM
I’d consider this a successful off-season with the caveat this is a sh!t free agency so there are no targets who make sense.

1. Take a chance on another big like Jalen Smith or Mo Bamba. A 3yr deal in the area of 8-13mm for a young big with promise. Doesn’t break the bank, provides depth at a position of need and if they look good to start the season you can start considering moving Jak for future assets versus paying what is likely 15mm or more to resign him.

2. No McDermott like contracts. That was a head scratching waste of capital last off-season. DO NOT repeat a similar move. In fact make an effort to off-load him as he just gets in the way of our youth. I’d rather see one of our many young 2guards get time/play out of position as a SF than have McBooger back.

3. Find JRich a home in return for a young asset and or draft capital. I like JRich but it makes more sense to monetize him versus keeping him around as the locker room vet. That role can be filled via #4 below

4. Rent 15-30mm in cap space for young assets and or draft capital. 1 year term preferred. Those returning bad contracts ideally serve as the veteran leadership, positive locker room presence, perceived young OG type teammates to help the youth, provide stability and mentoring where fitting. Also become candidates to be moved again at the trade deadline for more draft capital

Let the youth sink or swim and hopefully enter the 2023 draft with a top 5 pick while continuing to develop our young core. Enter the 2023 off-season with cap flex.

this would make the most sense for this year and i'd be quite content with this. then, i could sit back and enjoy all the ST theatrics and implosions that would follow.

Mr. Body
06-29-2022, 10:16 AM

I like this overall and prefer it to jettisoning DJM at this time. I think I'm down with Jalen Smith despite some bad metrics. I'd have to take a closer look. I tend to favor keeping JRich. A very young team needs a steadying hand from a veteran, one who knows the ropes about how to be and act as a professional. By all accounts this is a great group of young guys, but having someone around like that is invaluable.

TDomination
06-29-2022, 10:18 AM
It's mind boggling tbh.

Agreed

Having a positive point differential to end the year even with our losing record says something about their competitiveness. in the end you gotta win games but it shows they are on the right track. and that was with last years team.

now they should be a year better, murray a year more experienced as the leader. add in sochan and vassel adding some bulk which hopefully improves his game, johnson moving to the bench or at least to the 3 with sochan at the 4 will give us more size.

and with murray, he was #1 in steals last year, if you trade him it better be for someone that can help us today otherwise get out of here with this more draft picks crap. but for me, i don't trade him.

duncan2150
06-29-2022, 10:20 AM
If we look at a not expensive player : Hartenstein was quite good with LAC. Bamba, Smith could be affordable. We'll see but yes spurs are pretty quiet. With Detroit having less money, the Spurs are one of the few teams who can control that free agency.

The Truth #6
06-29-2022, 10:41 AM
If we look at a not expensive player : Hartenstein was quite good with LAC. Bamba, Smith could be affordable. We'll see but yes spurs are pretty quiet. With Detroit having less money, the Spurs are one of the few teams who can control that free agency.

It's a good point. Most teams don't have available cash, and with the Dejounte trade rumors, the Spurs could dominate the rumors for free agency. It's kind of hilarious.

Mugen
06-29-2022, 10:41 AM
There’s no way to prove from that team to a championship contender. You’ll have no cap room, and not even any late lottery picks, only ones from 15-20 or so. It’s the definition of a treadmill team.

Disagree tbh. You've got an interesting group of rookies coming in along with a still developing Primo/Vasell/Keldon. If one of those guys hits then the ceiling rises. If 2-3 turn out to be solid, then you've gotten more interesting trade pieces for an impact player in a year or two.

it's a better gamble than cashing Murray in for a bunch of picks in the 15-20 range tbh. If you tell me there's a shot they get a top 3-5 pick in next year's draft then I'll listen but I don't see anybody giving that up or the Spurs being bad enough without DJ to be in that range.

DAF86
06-29-2022, 10:58 AM
^ me too, but I feel that won’t come out until he’s on his next team.

I’m increasingly of the view that if they don’t get a godfather for Murray soon, they offer the guy the max offer sheet, and figure it out later. In two years his max deal won’t look like a max after the tv deal, and he may be easier to move if things go sideways.

Giving Ayton max money would be a huge mistake. The kid is talented but his style of play just isn't for this era. His postup game is nice but of marginal factor in today's NBA. His lack of floor spacing isn't ideal either. But, most important of all, his lack of mobility on the perimeter hurts the defense when opposing teams target him.

Poelt for his current price >>>>>>>>> Ayton for max money.

I don't know why some folks are so fixated with this guy. He would provide marginal improvement, if anything at all, to this Spurs' roster.

KingKev
06-29-2022, 11:16 AM
I like this overall and prefer it to jettisoning DJM at this time. I think I'm down with Jalen Smith despite some bad metrics. I'd have to take a closer look. I tend to favor keeping JRich. A very young team needs a steadying hand from a veteran, one who knows the ropes about how to be and act as a professional. By all accounts this is a great group of young guys, but having someone around like that is invaluable.

Yeah I REALLY like JRich so if he is the teams young OG vet the youth rally around so be it, but my hope is that the ~20mm in cap we inevitably rent out for draft capital brings along another vet or two to fill that void meaning we can get something for JRich and hopefully send him to a contender.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-29-2022, 11:26 AM
My guess is the quiet we're getting from the Spurs' FO is that they're working on doing something big in the Murray talks and that's the focus.

Pop will try to be the first coach of a team with $30MM in cap space that makes a run in the post season.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-29-2022, 11:27 AM
There really aren't many free agents that I see that make the Spurs that much better this year. Lavine perhaps is the only one.

CGD
06-29-2022, 11:37 AM
There really aren't many free agents that I see that make the Spurs that much better this year. Lavine perhaps is the only one.

The one player I keep thinking about is Collin Sexton.

Could they be trading DJM for a huge haul, and have in mind that they can get Sexton at ~50/3yrs? Big drop off of course, but he's 3 years younger, could fit well next to Primo in the backcourt, and gives the Spurs a chance to build up another asset.

exstatic
06-29-2022, 11:40 AM

Could they be trading DJM for a huge haul, and have in mind that they can get Sexton at ~50/3yrs? Big drop off of course, but he's 3 years younger, could fit well next to Primo in the backcourt, and gives the Spurs a chance to build up another asset.

His defense makes Forbes look like Dejounte.

CGD
06-29-2022, 11:54 AM
His defense makes Forbes look like Dejounte.

Yeah, I'm sure he's not perfect. I see it more as buying low on a distressed asset coming off an injury and is 3 years younger than Murray. I recall reading several months ago that the Spurs were sniffing around.

BacktoBasics
06-29-2022, 11:57 AM
If you look at from that perspective you’d ask yourself if you’d trade DJ for Sexton and 3 pics.

Mr. Body
06-29-2022, 11:59 AM
There's a reason Cleveland wants to get rid of Sexton: they want to win games and compete.

Mugen
06-29-2022, 12:01 PM
if one of the reasons they'd be willing to trade away DJ is because they're high on Primo, bringing in a guy like Sexton doesn't make any sense tbh.

CGD
06-29-2022, 12:02 PM
If you look at from that perspective you’d ask yourself if you’d trade DJ for Sexton and 3 pics.

Yeah, I think I might.

CGD
06-29-2022, 12:05 PM
There's a reason Cleveland wants to get rid of Sexton: they want to win games and compete.

No, with Garland, they dont want to pay him 100M/4yrs, which is what he was asking for pre-injury. Again, I'm not saying he's perfect, but think he could be a reclamation project at a position of need (if DJM leaves).

CGD
06-29-2022, 12:07 PM
if one of the reasons they'd be willing to trade away DJ is because they're high on Primo, bringing in a guy like Sexton doesn't make any sense tbh.

The issue with Sexton is that he's not a natural PG whilst being 6'2." He's more of a secondary ball-handler (which we've bitch about not having for some time now). The question is whether Primo is ready for primary ball-handling duty, and there I'm less certain.

Mr. Body
06-29-2022, 12:08 PM
No, with Garland, they dont want to pay him 100M/4yrs, which is what he was asking for pre-injury. Again, I'm not saying he's perfect, but think he could be a reclamation project at a position of need (if DJM leaves).

Sexton is a bit of a chucker and is absolutely horrible defensively. Considering what they're putting together, they don't want a player like Sexton. I certainly wouldn't want to pay him, either.

RC_Drunkford
06-29-2022, 12:18 PM
with Branham on the team getting Sexton really makes no sense

Chinook
06-29-2022, 12:36 PM
That SA has been out of the cap-space selling suggests that they haven't decided to pack it in for the year yet. To a certain extent, it could just be because other teams are selling their space cheaply. But it gives me the sense that they do want the option to open up max space but that they considered Collins too valuable (or potentially so) to dump him preemptively. Are they thinking that they might trade Poeltl? Could they do so in a way that opens up max cap space? Maybe.

I'm still a fan of looking to a Poeltl-for-Cam-Johnson swap. If the Suns lose Ayton, they might well want a competent replacement. Ironically enough, they might want to use the MLE on Jalen Smith instead or another big like Mitchel Robinson. I expressed before about how good I think a Keldon/Cam/Sochan rotation would be and how I think the Spurs might not see Jakob as their archetypical center. Collins could be that guy if he stays healthy and continues to expand his game. Jalen Smith could be the guy to come in and compete with or complement Zach. Those would just be moderate moves for the Spurs, leaving them with either Lonnie's hold or about $15 Million in cap space to sell for assets to maybe take another shot at a rotation player.

Murray, Jones, Wesley
Vassell, Primo, Branham
Johnson, McDermott, Langford
Johnson, Sochan, KBD
Smith, Collins, Landale

TW: Wieskamp, Barlow

Maybe trading McDermott and Langford for Hayward? That'd use up some cap space and give the Spurs yet another rotational forward, but that'd also be a ton of money sunk into forwards after this year when both Johnsons are up for new contracts.

jjspur
06-29-2022, 12:53 PM

Agree 5 times. Lets not forget to add trade Romeo Langford to that list.

exstatic
06-29-2022, 01:30 PM
Yeah, I'm sure he's not perfect. I see it more as buying low on a distressed asset coming off an injury and is 3 years younger than Murray. I recall reading several months ago that the Spurs were sniffing around.

It’s not a matter of imperfect. His defense is fucking non-existent. He plays no defense.

I don’t remember the Spurs sniffing around. Like most NBA journalism pieces, they find a potential cap space landing place, and write the story from that.

We’d be far better off renting that cap space for picks. That would be a positive transaction.

Why the fuck do we need another guard, anyway?

BatManu20
06-29-2022, 01:33 PM
Don’t worry boys. It appears the Spurs are going all-in for a championship run!

slick'81
06-29-2022, 01:36 PM
Don’t worry boys. It appears the Spurs are going all-in for a championship run!

:hungry:

Seventyniner
06-29-2022, 01:40 PM
Makes no sense for Portis unless this oddsmaker just thinks the Spurs will throw a big one or two year deal at him.

exstatic
06-29-2022, 01:47 PM
Makes no sense for Portis unless this oddsmaker just thinks the Spurs will throw a big one or two year deal at him.

It’s beyond stupid for a non playoff team to even call his agent.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-29-2022, 01:52 PM
I’d absolutely throw 4/80mil at Portis. He’d fit very well.

Seventyniner
06-29-2022, 01:55 PM
It’s beyond stupid for a non playoff team to even call his agent.

I wouldn't go that far. The Spurs were two wins away from the playoffs last year, can reasonably be expected to have a better record due to young player development and positive record regression to their point differential, and would presumably be better with Portis than without him (though he's mainly a C these days).

I still don't think it makes sense for the Spurs, but offering him something like 2/30, like Marcus Morris took with the Knicks (a comparable situation imo), could make him listen.

exstatic
06-29-2022, 01:58 PM
I’d absolutely throw 4/80mil at Portis. He’d fit very well.

Shit take of the week. He’s 27, and is not a mentor type. Other than one aberration season where the Knicks threw $15M at him to hold their cap space for a year, he’s never made more than $4.5M. You want to throw 4/$80M at a career journeyman. Jesus Christ.

JuneJive
06-29-2022, 02:01 PM
He was joking. He must've been.

Ocotillo
06-29-2022, 02:05 PM
Nice to see McDermott getting in some work this summer.

https://twitter.com/overtime/status/1541872721067401216

CGD
06-29-2022, 02:38 PM
It’s not a matter of imperfect. His defense is fucking non-existent. He plays no defense.

I don’t remember the Spurs sniffing around. Like most NBA journalism pieces, they find a potential cap space landing place, and write the story from that.

We’d be far better off renting that cap space for picks. That would be a positive transaction.

Why the fuck do we need another guard, anyway?

This was the piece I was remembering: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nba/spurs/.amp/news/san-antonio-collin-sexton-free-agency-zach-lavine-dejounte-murray

I mean if the spurs are planning to do more Dougy type deals this summer, I’d much rather they’d target someone like Sexton.

RC_Drunkford
06-29-2022, 02:40 PM
That SA has been out of the cap-space selling suggests that they haven't decided to pack it in for the year yet. To a certain extent, it could just be because other teams are selling their space cheaply. But it gives me the sense that they do want the option to open up max space but that they considered Collins too valuable (or potentially so) to dump him preemptively. Are they thinking that they might trade Poeltl? Could they do so in a way that opens up max cap space? Maybe.

I'm still a fan of looking to a Poeltl-for-Cam-Johnson swap. If the Suns lose Ayton, they might well want a competent replacement. Ironically enough, they might want to use the MLE on Jalen Smith instead or another big like Mitchel Robinson. I expressed before about how good I think a Keldon/Cam/Sochan rotation would be and how I think the Spurs might not see Jakob as their archetypical center. Collins could be that guy if he stays healthy and continues to expand his game. Jalen Smith could be the guy to come in and compete with or complement Zach. Those would just be moderate moves for the Spurs, leaving them with either Lonnie's hold or about $15 Million in cap space to sell for assets to maybe take another shot at a rotation player.

Murray, Jones, Wesley
Vassell, Primo, Branham
Johnson, McDermott, Langford
Johnson, Sochan, KBD
Smith, Collins, Landale

TW: Wieskamp, Barlow

Maybe trading McDermott and Langford for Hayward? That'd use up some cap space and give the Spurs yet another rotational forward, but that'd also be a ton of money sunk into forwards after this year when both Johnsons are up for new contracts.

this would be even worse than standing pat

KingKev
06-29-2022, 03:00 PM
^ exstatic leave them kids alone.

TD 21
06-29-2022, 03:24 PM

I've been thinking the same thing. I'm not a fan of the Murray offer being reported or Sexton, but I could see the latter happening if the former does.

spurraider21
06-29-2022, 03:46 PM

Degoat
06-29-2022, 03:48 PM
God bless imminent is a strong word lol

Robz4000
06-29-2022, 03:49 PM

Unless I hear it from tspence or wojtek it's fake news imo.

Mugen
06-29-2022, 03:55 PM
So long Instagram, hopefully the Spurs didn't get cucked like the Kawhi trade tbh :lol

Robz4000
06-29-2022, 03:57 PM
So long Instagram, hopefully the Spurs didn't get cucked like the Kawhi trade tbh :lol

:lol they'll prolly include their '23 first and $10mil in cash for Randle

Mr. Body
06-29-2022, 03:59 PM
Was Stein the guy swearing Pop was retiring this year?

slick'81
06-29-2022, 04:01 PM
Was Stein the guy swearing Pop was retiring this year?

take it you still arent buying in?

Mr. Body
06-29-2022, 04:04 PM

It's still coming from the same crap sources.

Mr. Body
06-29-2022, 04:04 PM

It's still coming from the same crap sources.

RC_Drunkford
06-29-2022, 04:08 PM
I can easily see the Knicks be dumb enough to send us 4 firsts or 3 and Cam Reddish. Somebody will offer what the Spurs ask for

TD 21
06-29-2022, 04:14 PM
Knicks can offer best picks and with Brunson, Murray and for now Rose, I'd imagine Quickley could be part of their offer.

He's really a SG in PG's body 6th man, but they're going to need someone who can create in Murray's stead.

Mr. Body
06-29-2022, 04:19 PM
I can easily see the Knicks be dumb enough to send us 4 firsts or 3 and Cam Reddish. Somebody will offer what the Spurs ask for

I would give all the picks back if they would keep Cam Reddish.

hoopdreams11
06-29-2022, 04:25 PM
Galinari?

John B
06-29-2022, 09:49 PM

3. No big names signing

:lmao:lmao:lmao

DAF86
06-29-2022, 09:53 PM
Knicks can offer best picks and with Brunson, Murray and for now Rose, I'd imagine Quickley could be part of their offer.

He's really a SG in PG's body 6th man, but they're going to need someone who can create in Murray's stead.

Talking about trading Murray and still worrying about who can create in his place. :lol

slick'81
06-29-2022, 11:13 PM
Talking about trading Murray and still worrying about who can create in his place. :lol

primo suAve time

TD 21
06-29-2022, 11:36 PM

Uh, I'm pretty sure you still need a few people who can dribble no matter your direction.

:lmao "Butthurt" because I called out you for making things up about Ayton.

DAF86
06-30-2022, 10:17 AM
Uh, I'm pretty sure you still need a few people who can dribble no matter your direction.

:lmao "Butthurt" because I called out you for making things up about Ayton.

The shittier we are this upcoming season, the better.

P/S: What the fuck are you talking about Ayton? :lol I don't remember any discussion with you about Ayton, tbh.

TD 21
06-30-2022, 11:18 AM
The shittier we are this upcoming season, the better.

P/S: What the fuck are you talking about Ayton? :lol I don't remember any discussion with you about Ayton, tbh.

Obviously. Like I said though, you still need an adequate amount of players to fill certain positions/roles. I'm not saying go get Sexton or Jones, but they will need someone like A. Holiday.

Never mind.

DAF86
06-30-2022, 11:49 AM
Obviously. Like I said though, you still need an adequate amount of players to fill certain positions/roles. I'm not saying go get Sexton or Jones, but they will need someone like A. Holiday.

Never mind.

Nah, they need to play as many young prospects as they can, and see what they have going forward. Every veteran on the roster should be traded, and not a single free agent veteran should be signed. Get as many youngster as you can, lose as much as possible, and see if you have a few rough diamonds.

cjw
06-30-2022, 11:55 AM
Nah, they need to play as many young prospects as they can, and see what they have going forward. Every veteran on the roster should be traded, and not a single free agent veteran should be signed. Get as many youngster as you can, lose as much as possible, and see if you have a few rough diamonds.

And use that cap space to help grab assets or upgrade existing assets (like removing pick protections) in helping teams maneuver to sign offer sheets or duck the luxury tax.

Only use it on vets if there is a clear path to trading them for assets ahead of the deadline.

TD 21
06-30-2022, 03:39 PM

:lmao So they're supposed to go with Primo, Jones and blank at PG? Another random body, like A. Holiday, isn't preventing a tank. It's just another body (who's 25, by the way) to get through the season.

They'll be plenty of opportunity for the youth, but you also want to put them in as good a position as possible to succeed.

DAF86
06-30-2022, 05:18 PM
:lmao So they're supposed to go with Primo, Jones and blank at PG? Another random body, like A. Holiday, isn't preventing a tank. It's just another body (who's 25, by the way) to get through the season.

They'll be plenty of opportunity for the youth, but you also want to put them in as good a position as possible to succeed.

No, you don't. :lol

XDT76
07-01-2022, 07:42 AM

They can try Wesley when there is really a need or branham

TD 21
07-01-2022, 09:14 AM
^ Not advocating it, so relax, but I could see the Spurs pursuing Fultz (with Harris re-signing + Anthony, Suggs, to a lesser extent Hampton, there's a long jam) or Micic.

KingKev
07-01-2022, 09:38 AM
Is Tre Jones eligible for an extension? Haven’t done any due diligence on this myself. There is a good chance he is our starting PG on opening night and I think he’s going to put up quality numbers on a really bad team.

Might be worth getting ahead of his 2023 free agency coming off a solid year.

Ice009
07-01-2022, 09:42 AM
I was also thinking Tre Jones would be the starting PG. I didn't have time to watch those games at the end of last season, but didn't he and the team play well with him starting when Dejounte was out with that respiratory illness?

John B
07-01-2022, 09:42 AM
Is Tre Jones eligible for an extension? Haven’t done any due diligence on this myself. There is a good chance he is our starting PG on opening night and I think he’s going to put up quality numbers on a really bad team.

Might be worth getting ahead of his 2023 free agency coming off a solid year.

Dude was almost averaging triple-double I’m telling you. I wouldn’t doubt if he’s Tom Brady

mo7888
07-01-2022, 09:53 AM
I was also thinking Tre Jones would be the starting PG. I didn't have time to watch those games at the end of last season, but didn't he and the team play well with him starting when Dejounte was out with that respiratory illness?

I like him better than Aaron Holiday who just agreed with Atlanta... I really think he's got a chance to be a real backup PG and maybe even a starter if he gains confidence in that outside shot and can nail it at a good percentage without hesitating...

KingKev
07-01-2022, 09:54 AM

The team playing well might be a stretch but he is a very capable PG and yes he was very serviceable. I understand the knock on his 3pt shooting but I don’t think we talk about him enough in that he could be a cheap young asset you can lock up for 3-4 years as a long term traditional backup PG.

exstatic
07-01-2022, 10:07 AM
The team playing well might be a stretch but he is a very capable PG and yes he was very serviceable. I understand the knock on his 3pt shooting but I don’t think we talk about him enough in that he could be a cheap young asset you can lock up for 3-4 years as a long term traditional backup PG.

Tre was a net positive player last year, and earned more win shares in one season (2.6) than Lonnie did in four (2.0). He and Keldon, from the 19 draft class will be the leaders now. In the last 10 months, we’ve shed 4 FRPs, Sammich, White, DJ and Lonnie, and DJ is the only one I’d keep over Jones. He’s a dog on defense, and in spite of the fact that he can’t shoot his way out of a wet paper bag, he gets to the rim easily to create for himself and others. He understands space and how to attack it.

If you can lock him up for 3/$15M n an extension, you do it.

KingKev
07-01-2022, 10:30 AM
Tre was a net positive player last year, and earned more win shares in one season (2.6) than Lonnie did in four (2.0). He and Keldon, from the 19 draft class will be the leaders now. In the last 10 months, we’ve shed 4 FRPs, Sammich, White, DJ and Lonnie, and DJ is the only one I’d keep over Jones. He’s a dog on defense, and in spite of the fact that he can’t shoot his way out of a wet paper bag, he gets to the rim easily to create for himself and others. He understands space and how to attack it.

Yeah, I think you and I are one of the few posters here who have been consistently speaking his praises. He was taking alot of heat mid season for not shooting when he was doing everything else well.

mo7888
07-01-2022, 10:34 AM
Yeah, I think you and I are one of the few posters here who have been consistently speaking his praises. He was taking alot of heat mid season for not shooting when he was doing everything else well.

I don't think his shot is bad or broken...I just think he's hesitant out there...if he can overcome that he's got some real upside I think..

KingKev
07-01-2022, 10:40 AM
I don't think his shot is bad or broken...I just think he's hesitant out there...if he can overcome that he's got some real upside I think..

Anecdotally his corner ball 3 looked decent to end the season when I tuned in but I didn’t watch too many games towards the end as I just lost interest

John B
07-01-2022, 10:45 AM

I’ve always said I like Tre a lot. As you’ve said he knows spacing, he gets relatively easy to the basket, not afraid of contacts, creates very well for his team mates, a lot of poise from day 1, just a classic true PG imo. Wayyy better than DJ with his handles at that age, relentless defender and maybe Spurs best point-of-attack defender. Deceptive athleticism and not shy to show it at times attacking the rim, gets to the line, deceptive burst of speed, nothing fancy just point a to point b. I hate to compare, because some people here just jumps on it, Stockton! Nothing fancy, just did his job, hard nose defender, fearless. I love this kid. He was supposed to be better than his brother. Well his brother just got a new 2-yrs 30 mil deal :lol. Tre gets that 3 pointer, and I don’t doubt he gets that, he was already showing some last year, he’s it. Already a freaking steal. 15 mil a year is a bit high, maybe 9. But this kid’s solid.

Ice009
07-01-2022, 11:25 AM
Yeah, I'm with you guys on Tre. I think he should get a chance. Really good player. If he can get his confidence in his jump shot, he could be really good.

Atl Spur
07-01-2022, 11:40 AM
Kev out here making friends:) Look at you! In other news, Tre is solid and emotionally/mentally tough!

KingKev
07-01-2022, 11:56 AM
Kev out here making friends:) Look at you! In other news, Tre is solid and emotionally/mentally tough!
John B ate my lunch the other day so I’ve been humbled!

The Truth #6
07-01-2022, 12:07 PM
I like Tre. I think his shot is ok but needs more playing time to feel comfortable shooting from the outside. Yeah, I think he could put up decent numbers. If they can sign him to an extension that is reasonable, absolutely, and if he puts up good stats...we'll see if they trade him for assets. Joking?

John B
07-01-2022, 12:42 PM
John B (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=42719) ate my lunch the other day so I’ve been humbled!

I threw enough mud on the wall it sticks :lol

Waiting at a roulette table at Vegas, my wife was fascinated I kept winning, nothing big, just small bets while waiting. She asks how. I play 2 columns out of 3, each placing a chip. It pays 2-1. 2 columns is 66% odds! Nothing sexy, just passing time.

I just pass time here at ST when not busy and my numbers are good. Like roulette at Vegas, just passing time :bobo

Atl Spur
07-01-2022, 01:00 PM
John B ate my lunch the other day so I’ve been humbled!

Lol

RC_Drunkford
07-01-2022, 01:28 PM
Spurs should definitely lock up Tre long term. Good back up PG on a cheap deal is always good to have

slick'81
07-01-2022, 02:33 PM
Spurs should definitely lock up Tre long term. Good back up PG on a cheap deal is always good to have

hell he could be great if hes just given minutes

SequSpur
07-03-2022, 09:55 PM
Tre Jones is not very good. Do you all even understand basketball?

AFBlue
07-03-2022, 10:06 PM
Tre Jones is not very good. Do you all even understand basketball?

We don't need him to be good. We need him to be below league average for a starting PG, which is what he is.

Degoat
07-03-2022, 10:36 PM
Any new Rumblings timvp?

rascal
07-03-2022, 11:38 PM
I threw enough mud on the wall it sticks :lol

Waiting at a roulette table at Vegas, my wife was fascinated I kept winning, nothing big, just small bets while waiting. She asks how. I play 2 columns out of 3, each placing a chip. It pays 2-1. 2 columns is 66% odds! Nothing sexy, just passing time.

I just pass time here at ST when not busy and my numbers are good. Like roulette at Vegas, just passing time :bobo

Play big money on both columns but for only one spin.

That table didn't have 0 and 00 on it?

John B
07-04-2022, 02:32 AM
Play big money on both columns but for only one spin.

That table didn't have 0 and 00 on it?

Yup they do. In Europe only 0, and that takes a few % away. But I just do that to kill time :toast

rascal
07-04-2022, 08:58 AM

They still will be a bottom three team next year.

spurraider21
07-04-2022, 10:05 AM
Any new Rumblings timvp?
Pop and RC are actively engaged in talks over what type of wine to restock the cellar with

TD 21
07-04-2022, 10:09 AM
They still will be a bottom three team next year.

Bringing in another minimal/random ball handler isn't going to stop this team from being the odds on favorite to be the worst in the league.

Drom John
07-04-2022, 07:36 PM
We don't need him to be good. We need him to be below league average for a starting PG, which is what he is.

FiveThirtyRaptor WAR PG 1 minute minimum

40) 2.9 Tre Jones, Damian Lillard, Payton Pritchard
WAR is a cumulative stat. Note that Jones played 92 more minutes than Lillard

Total Raptor, which is a rate stat, 1141 minimum (as close as I could slide below 1148).

13) 3.5 Derrick White
15) 3.0 Dejounte Murray, Terry Rozier

20) 2.3 Delon Wright (better defensive Raptor than his replacement Dejounte Murray)
21) 2.2 Tre Jones
22) 2.1 LaMelo Ball, Jalen Brunson, James Harden, De'Anthony Melton

36) 0.8 George Hill, Bones Hyland

46) -0.5 Cory Joseph, Monte Morris

56) -1.6 Patty Mills, Shake Milton

Offensive Raptor

12) 3.1 Dejounte Murray

38) 0.4 Alex Caruso, Derrick White
40) 0.3 Bruce Brown, Amir Coffey, Tre Jones, Coby White
44) 0.2 De'Anthony Melton, Patty Mills

49) -0.4 Cory Joseph, Raul Neto, Gabe Vincent

55) -1.1 George Hill

Defensive Raptor

2) 3.1 Derrick White

6) 2.0 Eric Bledsoe
7) 1.9 Patrick Beverly, George Hill, Tre Jones

24) 0.0 Dejounte Murray
25) -0.1 Reggie Jackon, Cory Joseph

57) -1.8 Patty Mills

rascal
07-04-2022, 09:30 PM
Bringing in another minimal/random ball handler isn't going to stop this team from being the odds on favorite to be the worst in the league.

I expect a veteran pg signing. They need more depth at pg.

They'll be a joke of a team if Primo isn't ready yet and can't cut it at pg when Jones is not in the lineup.

Mr. Body
07-04-2022, 10:02 PM
Rajon Rondo or Dennis Schroeder, come on down.

azarel
07-04-2022, 10:18 PM

They'll be a joke of a team if Primo isn't ready yet and can't cut it at pg when Jones is not in the lineup.

but wouldn't it help with the objective of tanking? its sink or swim time for the young guys.

rascal
07-04-2022, 10:21 PM
but wouldn't it help with the objective of tanking? its sink or swim time for the young guys.

Even with a veteran pg the Spurs are still going to be bad, one of the worst in the league.

They won't be signing a superstar player that will add many wins.

AFBlue
07-04-2022, 11:41 PM
Give me Tre/Primo experiments in early season, then am up J-Rich as we approach the deadline to increase his trade value. After that, Wesley should have enough seasoning in Austin to enter the fold.

TD 21
07-05-2022, 09:49 AM

Or trade, like Joseph for Langford. The Pistons have a logjam at the point and in the back court period and have Burks to serve as the veteran mentor to Cunningham, Ivey, Hayes.

rjv
07-05-2022, 10:00 AM
unless the spurs become a part of some massive trade, in which the spurs take on salary ballast, i think they are more or less done in FA.

exstatic
07-05-2022, 11:25 AM
unless the spurs become a part of some massive trade, in which the spurs take on salary ballast, i think they are more or less done in FA.

I think that is very likely. LA desperately needs out of RWs contract, and BRK has been served notice to move Durant. It’s likely that neither of those trades happen without a cap broker.

Seventyniner
07-05-2022, 12:06 PM
I think that is very likely. LA desperately needs out of RWs contract, and BRK has been served notice to move Durant. It’s likely that neither of those trades happen without a cap broker.

I agree in principle. Too many moving parts to not include a team with lots of cap room.

But there are only so many assets to go around. The Lakers have almost none to offer and the Nets will insist on a haul of their own in return for Durant. Which other team(s) will offer up enough assets to meet the Nets' asking price and still have there be something left over for the Spurs?