Texas_Ranger
06-29-2022, 04:19 PM
bye instagram baller.

Ron Swanson
06-29-2022, 04:19 PM
Meh

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-29-2022, 04:20 PM
So the Jrue package. No centerpiece. Meh.

Spurs9
Yay Splitter 2.0

BatManu20
Welp. At least they’ve made a decision on the direction of this franchise. Now don’t sign a single FA, play all of our young guys next season, and fucking tank like your jobs depend on it.

slick'81
06-29-2022, 04:21 PM
Spurs learned nothing from the kawhi debacle... atleast the tank is in full effect. 20 win season here we come

objective
06-29-2022, 04:21 PM
Initial reaction, without even caring about the pick status or swap year:

This sucks.

There won't be any lottery picks, just a bunch of 20s and late teens if we're lucky. No Collins, not even Johnson

Trash move

Darius Bieber
06-29-2022, 04:22 PM
Only three first rounders? Are they unprotected? Hawks will be picking in the 20s most likely. Horrible trade.

RC_Drunkford
terrible trade tbh. 3 picks in the low 20s, 1 swap and an old guy they can waive for a 25-year All-Star PG locked into a team friendly 2 year deal. Just terrible

Leetonidas
I guess we're all in on Wembanyama

td4mvp2k
06-29-2022, 04:24 PM
great job to wright for making these moves the past year and building for the future and what should of been four yrs ago!

siraulo23
they shoulda waited?

cd98
Yes, even if unprotected, the best hope is a Young injury, though I honestly don't see this as making them much higher than the 6th seed, if at all.

I assume we have to trade Jakob now. What purpose does he have on this roster? He's aged out of this team's timeline. My guess is that he is the next to go.

slick'81
terrible trade tbh. 3 picks in the low 20s, 1 swap and an old guy they can waive for a 25-year All-Star PG locked into a team friendly 2 year deal. Just terrible

it doesn't even need to be said. Toronto esque deal and lol@selling high. Cant wait for the sniffers ,tbh

TD 21
'25 and '27 are unprotected, '26 is a swap.

Spurs9
06-29-2022, 04:25 PM
Pretty hyped tbh for cheap Spurs game tickets this year.

objective
06-29-2022, 04:25 PM
Ask New Orleans how valuable their picks and swaps from Milwaukee have been.

All this leverage, all this bidding war, for trash.

ATL will be a 50 win team next year easy. EASY.

When Pop retires they need to clear house and send RC and Wright with him

Degoat
06-29-2022, 04:26 PM
I’m dead inside… lol

Robz4000
06-29-2022, 04:27 PM
:lol they took that garbage package after all

Mr. Body
06-29-2022, 04:28 PM
Fucking terrible.

Just awful. Three terrible picks and a swap that won't convey.

What the fuck.

objective
They could have tanked with Murray, OKC showed how to do it with SGA.

Just the worst damn deal.

They're making it real hard to stay interested in this dumb franchise

spurs1990
Wait till the Spurs twitter makes it official tbh. Too much rumor on these trades

LakerHater
Franchise officially in the shutter, how do they expect to put butts in seats w a team full of roll players

NASpurs
06-29-2022, 04:29 PM
:lol I was wondering why this forum was so slow. Now I understand.

Mr. Body
Fucking terrible.

What the fuck.

itzsoweezee
Hallelujah

Now do Poeltl next. Let the tank commence

Chinook
06-29-2022, 04:30 PM
they shoulda waited?

I think so. Atlanta had to move today with Gallo's guarantee date. That is how the swap got added in. But they're saying it's not even including ATL's 2023 first, so tanking isn't the goal here. I guess Murray really wanted to leave and just handled it way better than we're used to seeing. I'll accept a loss on this one to the edgelord likes Mugen and to objective. I don't like the trade. It could end up being a boon, but the delayed return and legit downside make it disappointing. Also looks like ATL must've been offering a lot more than other teams if the Spurs were so scared of them pulling out. They might not've been able to get three firsts later in the year, but they could have gotten a better 2023 pick as well.

slick'81
06-29-2022, 04:32 PM
Unless they get the #1 pick which is clearly the plan this franchise just shot itself in the face

emanueldavidginobili
Lmao a couple months ago I thought DJ was a Spur for life and he's traded just like that. What a life. DJ was even starting to get the Spurs publicity from how good he was playing and making the ASG and all that. Sucks to see him leave tbh after seeing him grow into the player he is now. Sucks even more not getting any young talent in the trade and getting draft picks from 2025, and 2027 and a 2026 pick swap.

mexicanjunior
Fucking trash trade...PATFO is a bunch of fucking idiots...fuck this team.

TD 21
'23 Hornets 1st is the other.

Beyond pathetic and since they can't catch a break, I'm sure the Hawks/Hornets won't have the injuries/chemistry derail them season in that span and end up with a bunch of middling picks.

The only positive is they're not in pole position to finish with the worst record in the league, but even then I'm sure they'll end up with the 4th pick.

Leetonidas
06-29-2022, 04:34 PM
Wow that's it? Jesus :lol just when you think the FO is starting to turn around they make a retarded trade like this.

SpursFan86
06-29-2022, 04:34 PM
Can anyone confirm what exactly this 2023 pick is? Reportedly from Charlotte…is it lottery protected or not?

CGD
06-29-2022, 04:35 PM
I get why they did it, but sad to see it in reality. It’s been real DJ, you made us proud!

duncan2150
06-29-2022, 04:37 PM
Fucking terrible.

What the fuck.

I hate this trade.

Drewlius
Pretty gross considering all of their Hornets’ 1sts are like top 15 protected.

slick'81
Obviously the goal is to have multiple first for the next few years and tank hard af. Still an absolute fire sale . Lol driving the price up

flox
06-29-2022, 04:39 PM
Excellent trade. We get to really go for it with our youngsters and send Murray a good home and get a bunch of picks to take more swings. It was clear that we kept on drafting these guards to try to find the go to guy, and now this clears the way for our young guns to really have on ball reps and see what they got. Especially excited for Bassell and Primo - a good chance for them to get more on ball reps.

Going to be a fun season to watch.

slick'81
Only a retard can like this trade.

Budkin
So we got fleeced, right?

goliath
06-29-2022, 04:40 PM
Wow what a garbage trade. I find it hard to believe there weren't better trades out there right now or at least when free agency gets rolling.

widowmaker
06-29-2022, 04:41 PM
Shit trade. Go from a pretty good draft to a stupid fucking trade for 3 late first round picks and a corpse. Im sure these dumb mother fuckers will still try to win as many games as they can, I know they still won’t go into full tank mode This trade doesn’t move the needle for Atlanta either next year right around this time they will be trying to make another band aide trade similar to this one. Shit trade period Spurs could gave tanked or competed the same way with DJ this year.

tbdog
Gee. It's not that bad. Maybe that is Murray's peak trade demand.

lefty20
Looks like 25 & 27 are unprotected.

BatManu20
06-29-2022, 04:42 PM
So we got fleeced, right?

cd98
06-29-2022, 04:43 PM
Charlotte Pick is protected. I think this is just a clear sign that they didn't want to max DJM and stay in mediocrity for the next 5 years. Having first round picks, even in the 20s, can still be helpful. If the Spurs get a top 2 pick next year, they will be able to put together a good, young team relatively quickly with draft assets and cap space.

I think Gallanari could fetch something. He's been a solid player and he has an expiring contract. Could he net a 1st? Jakob will definitely get a first and he'll be in high demand. I'm interested to see what happens with McDermott. But this is a fire sale.

It's about time too. Especially because now we get to see a lot of the young players. We'll lose by 30 every game, but we'll do it seeing our young players develop in the NBA and not the G League.

spurraider21
06-29-2022, 04:43 PM
murray had 2 years left on his deal. if you're not getting the godfather offer, just wait.

mo7888
06-29-2022, 04:44 PM
I'm going to play the contrarian on this deal. I don't love it without the Atlanta 2023 1st conveying unprotected but other than that I like it. Thats the only part that puzzles me because I expected to go hard for two high lottery picks (one being our own). Logically I see two paths forward that make sense... 1) we try and do a separate deal with Charlotte to take on salary and get them to lift their protection on the 2023 pick if we're tanking or 2) We really REALLY believe in what we have left and try to swing a deal to put players around them. I'd prefer the 1st path since we made thos deal.

Also, for all the cries about the Atlanta picks being in the 20's, I don't believe that for a minute. Atlanta is still behind 9 teams in the east after this trade in my opinion and they have hardly any capital left to bargain with.

emanueldavidginobili
06-29-2022, 04:45 PM
I will say as a fan of the Spurs I am pissed and sucks to lose DJ but I assure you he is elated to be living in ATL and going to the Hawks. Shit he'll actually play in a game where it's nationally televised lmao.

Also they're banking on Primo big time right now, this kid better turn into something Jesus Christ.

Chinook
06-29-2022, 04:45 PM
Yeah, THIS is how you get unprotected picks. Teams aren't going to trade them in the near years. I don't love the Spurs playing that long of a game, but for four straight drafts they'll have a potential lotto pick no matter where they are on their development tract. That's not bad. It's just not what I would have wanted for Murray. If they even had Okongwu and then dumped Poeltl for another far-off first, I would have been much happier with the rest of the delayed satisfaction.

Rocalcio
06-29-2022, 04:46 PM
Unbelievable…
Better get Wembanyama now !

For the record, the kid played last season in TP’s franchise in France, and he just decided to leave for some reasons Parker don’t understand, so I’m not sure we can count on TP to convince this player that SA is a good destination for him.

Mugen
Trade Poetl & Keldon too.

Hopefully the other young guys ball out in the next few years as well so the San Antonio Feeders can trade them to better organizations tbh :lol

slick'81
Lmao the coping is already beginning

Mr. Body
06-29-2022, 04:48 PM
Garbage.

The franchise creates a need to trade Murray for no fucking reason and then gets trash for him. What the fuck.

Mr. Body
Garbage.

The franchise creates a need to trade Murray for no fucking reason and then gets trash for him. What the fuck.

Crazymaddopeyo
I don’t get this at all. Probably one late pick next year and other picks years away and a 33 year old for a pretty damn good player. I don’t see the upside.

BatManu20
06-29-2022, 04:49 PM
Couldn’t even get Okongwu in the deal. Just awful.

We just gave our franchise player and only All-Star away for pennies on the dollar. What a shit-show.

slick'81
06-29-2022, 04:49 PM
Gee. It's not that bad. Maybe that is Murray's peak trade demand.

TimDunkem
06-29-2022, 04:50 PM
lmao Slurpers suddenly surprised that this FO that has been on a decline since Tim left is still making terrible moves.

rascal
06-29-2022, 04:50 PM
I like it. They were not winning anything keeping Murray on the roster.

We can all come back here after the Spurs land Wembanyama.

cd98
06-29-2022, 04:51 PM
Don't trade Keldon. He's still on the same timeline as the younger guys at 22. DJM is 25. He could mesh with the young guys, but if you don't think he is a one or a two as a star, then why not trade him and hope for the best in the future? But Keldon should stay because he is still on the same timeline as the younger players. Jakob obviously isn't and neither are Richardson, Galinari, and McDermott.

Mnky
06-29-2022, 04:51 PM
They weren't going to max Murray and he was going to leave amidst a rebuild. Murray clearly wanted out to compete. Not out because of SA, but because they weren't focused on competing but on rebuilding.

Murray doesn't hide much, he's been letting it out that he wants more. This was where Murray wanted to go, I'm sure he's very happy. We did right by a loyal player and sent him to a competitive team he wanted to join, while getting possibly 4 first round picks that will likely all be higher than he was drafted with.

Hate to see it, as Murray has been my personal favorite player since he was drafted. Still a great job getting 3 picks out of it.

Really hope he wins in ATL. Preferably the year we don't have their draft pick.

exstatic
06-29-2022, 04:52 PM
Excellent trade. We get to really go for it with our youngsters and send Murray a good home and get a bunch of picks to take more swings. It was clear that we kept on drafting these guards to try to find the go to guy, and now this clears the way for our young guns to really have on ball reps and see what they got. Especially excited for Bassell and Primo - a good chance for them to get more on ball reps.

Going to be a fun season to watch.

This. Even if we got both ATL and CHA picks for next year, we’re not getting Wembanyana from those. CHAs pick is like top 16 protected, and ATL isn’t likely to be in the lottery. Delaying the picks is a GOOD thing.

objective
06-29-2022, 04:52 PM
There's no spinning this. It's AWFUL

Trae Young is healthy and young, Collins at least is young, Capela not that old, Okongwu young, Dejounte young and healthy ...

This won't be a lottery team the next 5 years. Not even close.

At least NY always has meltdowns and dysfunction. Those could have been worth something.

SHAME

tbdog
06-29-2022, 04:53 PM
2023 hornets 1st, 2 unprotected 1st from hawks in 25 and 27, which comes after Murray's contract who may be on 40mil per by then. And an expiring veteran who we can use or waive. And people are saying this is awful?

spurraider21
06-29-2022, 04:53 PM
feels like a panic trade same way the raiders traded khalil mack several years back. would be hilarious if that charlotte pick never conveys

Mugen
06-29-2022, 04:55 PM
I'm praying to god for a silver lining here. And that silver lining being that the Old Man finally retires and that terrible cloud can be finally lifted from this organization.

Please God tell me that Pop retires this offseason. Prayingdog.jpg tbh

Mnky
06-29-2022, 04:56 PM
Oh yea, and we now have poetl and McDermott to shop around. We can move those picks around to help us get better picks while offloading these players as well. At the end of the day, they are 3 strong assets to increase your chances at what looks like a very strong draft next year. Wright is thinking like a GM, and not a fan. Exactly what fans have complained about with the front office for years. Now they have trouble stomaching it.

MannyIsGod
06-29-2022, 04:57 PM
I hate trading the kid but I honestly don't understand what people think you're gonna get when you trade a player like DJM I'd you want picks. You have to get lucky for those picks to be in the lottery. Always weird seeing the reactions here.

Those who have wanted a tank have their wish. Hope primo is good.

TD 21
06-29-2022, 04:58 PM
I'm going to play the contrarian on this deal. I don't love it without the Atlanta 2023 1st conveying unprotected but other than that I like it. Thats the only part that puzzles me because I expected to go hard for two high lottery picks (one being our own). Logically I see two paths forward that make sense... 1) we try and do a separate deal with Charlotte to take on salary and get them to lift their protection on the 2023 pick if we're tanking or 2) We really REALLY believe in what we have left and try to swing a deal to put players around them. I'd prefer the 1st path since we made thos deal.

Also, for all the cries about the Atlanta picks being in the 20's, I don't believe that for a minute. Atlanta is still behind 9 teams in the east after this trade in my opinion and they have hardly any capital left to bargain with.

I like the concept, but the execution was lacking. It's possible they just traded a player they spent a half decade helping become a complementary/fringe star for no significant asset.

Strictly regular season: Celtics, Bucks, Heat, 76ers, Nets, Raptors are solid to better bets to have superior records. Only the Celtics and Bucks are virtual locks though presuming relative health.

MannyIsGod
06-29-2022, 05:01 PM
I hate trading the kid but I honestly don't understand what people think you're gonna get when you trade a player like DJM I'd you want picks. You have to get lucky for those picks to be in the lottery. Always weird seeing the reactions here.

rjv
06-29-2022, 05:02 PM
for a franchise trying to sell tickets, they just traded away a big part of the group that was bringing fans in. all the joy i had from last week's draft is gone. life long spurs fan and this hurts me to the core. it's going to take me time to adjust and process how i approach this entirely new team. this is why i never wanted to see us tank. i'm not going to say this is the post Gervin era all over again because we have some talent but it's going to be ugly this season.

vy65
06-29-2022, 05:03 PM
:lol Diversity Hire

DesignatedT
06-29-2022, 05:04 PM
Ehh. Murray isn't that great. Wish the return wasn't so delayed, but the Spurs obviously weren't interested in MAXING him out after the season and wanted to get ahead of it for the first time (something numerous posters have criticized them for not doing in similar situations). Saying that, the Spurs could literally sign a couple good free agents this summer and be right back into the 7-10 seed mix if they wanted to (not saying they should), but they could. They aren't losing some irreplaceable star.

Excessive Egotist
06-29-2022, 05:08 PM
I like this trade for the Spurs. I think they're the obvious winners.

1) We can lose for awhile. 2) No protections in the out years is great. I'd expect Klutch to have put in trade demands for both DJ and Trae by '25. 3) We'll convert Gallo into another first. 4) We'll rent our space, maybe to Charlotte in exchange for an asset and lifting the '23 pick protection. It's a win. I'm pretty confident Charlotte is not making the playoffs now.

Dex
06-29-2022, 05:09 PM

Exactly this. I'm not sure what kind of return people were expecting for a fringe All-Star that will probably want a huge contract in two years.

Spurs have like 10 FRPs in their stash now, have a bunch of young and rising players, have cap space and cap maneuverability...

This is what tanking looks like if you do it right. If we land a top 3 pick next year, BOOM.

Now cross your fingers and hope Atlanta implodes (we've seen crazier things happen, look at the Nets and Lakers this year)

stnick2261
If Charlotte doesn't make the playoffs this year, what happens to the pick? Does it convey in future years?

Dex

Exactly this. I'm not sure what kind of return people were expecting for a fringe All-Star that will probably want a huge contract in two years.

Spurs have like 10 FRPs in their stash now, have a bunch of young and rising players, have cap space and cap maneuverability...

This is what tanking looks like if you do it right. If we land a top 3 pick next year, BOOM.

Now cross your fingers and hope Atlanta implodes (we've seen crazier things happen, look at the Nets and Lakers this year)

lmbebo
06-29-2022, 05:10 PM
Gallo isn't becoming another first. Maybe a 2nd or 2 or more likely bought out

timtonymanu
The team wasn’t going anywhere with Murray as the star player anyway. We won’t be a contender for the shitty play-in this year. This is good.

duncan2150
You analyze the trade in two parts :

The deal appears bad, without at least a good young player like Okongwu. Picks in 25 and 27 could be interesting but you never knows so it's bad imo.

The other part is that you go full rebuild and maybe you could have your FP next year. Tough nothing is sure i could be ok with that.

mo7888
06-29-2022, 05:11 PM
I like the concept, but the execution was lacking. It's possible they just traded a player they spent a half decade helping become a complementary/fringe star for no significant asset.

Strictly regular season: Celtics, Bucks, Heat, 76ers, Nets, Raptors are solid to better bets to have superior records. Only the Celtics and Bucks are virtual locks though presuming relative health.

I'd say that Boston, Milwaukee, Miami, Philly, Toronto, Brooklyn, Chicago, and Cleveland are all ahead of Atlanta right now. Washington, Atlanta, and Charlotte will fight it out for the 9 and 10 spots. So I'd really have liked to see us having gotten the Atlanta pick in 2023.

That said, I've gotta note that the same people whining about getting 2 unprotected 1st's and and unprotected swap in this deal are the same people that said Atlanta would never give us a single unprotected 1st.

This was a good trade and gives us good options going forward.

Seventyniner
06-29-2022, 05:13 PM
Turning this team into the Thunder can't be the way Pop wanted to go out.

At least we have an idea of the direction the Spurs will go in free agency. More and more and more picks for cap space rentals imo. See if they can get a team to bite on a late 1st for McDermott (unlikely) or Gallinari at the trade deadline (more plausible because his contract is expiring).

Do we know how much of Gallinari's salary got guaranteed? It wouldn't have to necessarily be all of it since he made more than Murray, but I guess he can be trade ballast or a slightly positive asset to a contender?

Killakobe81
Y’all overrated Murray this is a good deal tbh.
Basically you hit a Jrue Holiday package for a Jess proven player.kudos to layoffs solid draft smart trade.

spurraider21
If Charlotte doesn't make the playoffs this year, what happens to the pick? Does it convey in future years?
its top 16 protected in 2023, top 14 protected in 2024, top 14 protected in 2025. if it doesnt convey by then, it becomes 2 second round picks

duncan2150
The team wasn’t going anywhere with Murray as the star player anyway. We won’t be a contender for the shitty play-in this year. This is good.

Ok with you but it's not a reason to have a bad return in the deal.

Mr. Body
No fucking clue what this franchise is trying to do. They had a great draft, but why would I follow any of the players when they'll just turn around and launch them into the distance for a few shit picks once they get good? No wonder other teams are trying to figure out what the fuck is going on.

Uriel
06-29-2022, 05:15 PM
I agree with the general sentiment that this is not a great trade. But I can see the front office's rationale for doing it: they're going all-in on the Wembayana sweepstakes.

-21-
06-29-2022, 05:15 PM
im pretty sure the knicks or some other team couldve coughed up a more enticing offer had they waited but this trade makes sense when u consider the FO probably wanted to do right by murray and send him to his ideal destination

gdquinn
06-29-2022, 05:16 PM
I am more concern about the Hornets pick since it is well protected. 2023 - Top 16, 2024 - Top 14, 2025 - Top 14. If pick is protected, then it will be 2026 2nd round pick and 2027 2nd round pick. I know the Hornets aren't great team at this moment. Worst case scenario is we might get 2 2nd round picks.

widowmaker
06-29-2022, 05:17 PM
Shoot that might mean that guys like KJ and Vassell have no loyalty to the Spurs next year around this time next year.

Isitjustme?
06-29-2022, 05:20 PM
Dang, and Primo sucked so bad last year. Tried drinking the Kool Aid on him but couldnt despite having some of the best I know try to sell me on him plus rewatching him play

jjspur
06-29-2022, 05:21 PM
You know the spurs could have traded him almost anywhere and gotten a better return than 3 so so picks and the corpse of Galinari. Gallo will probably be waived anyway. There is also no guarantee that even if the spurs got a good draft pick that they would select the bast available player. They don't have the best drafting history.

It was probably about money and I'm pretty sure the spurs being a small market just didn't want to pay DJM 40 million in 2 years (spoiler...he isn't worth it). He wasn't my favorite player but the spurs could have gotten a decent player at the very least.

This was a bad trade over all. Atlanta's front office did a Jedi mind trick on Pop and the spurs front office. Sure the spurs got picks, but this next year will be real real bad. I never thought the spurs would resort to tanking but I guess I was wrong.

poopbox
These bastards really did it :rollin

jjspur
You know the spurs could have traded him almost anywhere and gotten a better return than 3 so so picks and the corpse of Galinari. Gallo will probably be waived anyway. There is also no guarantee that even if the spurs got a good draft pick that they would select the bast available player. They don't have the best drafting history.

It was probably about money and I'm pretty sure the spurs being a small market just didn't want to pay DJM 40 million in 2 years (spoiler. alert ..he isn't worth it). He wasn't my favorite player but the spurs could have gotten a decent player at the very least.

This was a bad trade over all. Atlanta's front office did a Jedi mind trick on Pop and the spurs front office. Sure the spurs got picks, but this next year will be real real bad. I never thought the spurs would resort to tanking but I guess I was wrong.

Leetonidas
06-29-2022, 05:22 PM
I am more concern about the Hornets pick since it is well protected. 2023 - Top 16, 2024 - Top 14, 2025 - Top 14. If pick is protected, then it will be 2026 2nd round pick and 2027 2nd round pick. I know the Hornets aren't great team at this moment. Worst case scenario is we might get 2 2nd round picks.

You waited 22 years to make this post? :lol:

Rummpd
06-29-2022, 05:22 PM
Incompetent Front Office x 5 years nothing to see here. Bad drafts, bad non trades, now this pathetic dump of best player on team for trash. Fire someone!

Atl Spur
06-29-2022, 05:24 PM
We don’t need a bunch of young players now ( so future unprotected draft pick are gold ), gallo + rich or poodle can bring back a solid return at the deadline for a team cutting salary, and finally you now can control the lockeroom now there is no quasi superstar. Everything will be earned!

LeBowen
06-29-2022, 05:25 PM
I can fully understand trading DJ, but I can't understand trading him for 3 mediocre picks. Should've demanded Hunter and Okongwu to be included in the deal. Meh, at least we know the direction now. And DJ wasn't worth the full max, so better sell high. Too bad they didn't actually sell high.

Leetonidas
06-29-2022, 05:25 PM

*18 years

fucking timvp changing the edit rules along with these shitty slovenian servers

Kurik
06-29-2022, 05:26 PM

It was probably about money and I'm pretty sure the spurs being a small market just didn't want to pay DJM 40 million in 2 years (spoiler. alert ..he isn't worth it). He wasn't my favorite player but the spurs could have gotten a decent player at the very least.

Just to nitpick I’d argue the Spurs are at least above average at drafting. The rest is up in the air.

TD 21
06-29-2022, 05:27 PM
I'd say that Boston, Milwaukee, Miami, Philly, Toronto, Brooklyn, Chicago, and Cleveland are all ahead of Atlanta right now. Washington, Atlanta, and Charlotte will fight it out for the 9 and 10 spots. So I'd really have liked to see us having gotten the Atlanta pick in 2023.

That said, I've gotta note that the same people whining about getting 2 unprotected 1st's and and unprotected swap in this deal are the same people that said Atlanta would never give us a single unprotected 1st.

This was a good trade and gives us good options going forward.

The only positives are I see are . . .

1) They finally stopped pretending and did what should have been done 4 years ago.

2) They're in pole position to be the worst team in the league at the moment, which will come in handy when the league drops them like the 4th pick. If the top 5-6 is as loaded as many are projecting, they should still end up with a cornerstone player.

Mugen
06-29-2022, 05:27 PM
They couldn't even get Okongwu just like how they couldn't get OG in the Kawhi trade.

I can't believe NBA teams aren't lining up to fleece BWrong at every chance they get.

Poetl gonna go to a great situation soon. Keldon and Devin just need to be patient and they'll get to go to a much better franchise soon too :lol

cjw
06-29-2022, 05:28 PM
Shoot that might mean that guys like KJ and Vassell have no loyalty to the Spurs next year around this time next year.

It really means the Spurs avoided paying Murray something like $40 million and there is plenty of money to go around to extend guys

Barfunk
They just traded a fucking piece!?!?! A piece!!! Fuck you front office!!

Dirks_Finale
Look at the bright side, there is still time to get into a bidding war with the Knicks for Jalen Brunson.

emanueldavidginobili
06-29-2022, 05:29 PM
Yeah I have no clue what is going on and how this trade materialized out of no where. Did DJ ask to be traded? Maybe but who knows. It's just really uncharacteristic for PATFO to do this, maybe this was solely Wrights decision? And what does this mean for Pop? DJ was the only player he's been with that was on the team with the Big 3 and he trades him after having a breakout season to build for the future, which Pop will have no part in really.

JuneJive
06-29-2022, 05:31 PM
Good haul.

I don't see how one can dislike this trade.

It could've been better with an extra pick or Okongwu, but that's about it.

JuneJive
06-29-2022, 05:32 PM
Good haul.

timtonymanu
06-29-2022, 05:34 PM
You honestly can’t be bitching if you wanted a commitment to tanking lol. What was Murray and players gonna do for us again next year? Make us compete for the play-in again. Finally, this is a direction. It won’t be pretty but rebuilds aren’t suppose to be.

Arcadian
Basically you hit a Jrue Holiday package for a Jess proven player.kudos to layoffs solid draft smart trade.

He's not a franchise player, but he IS an all-star and hence a top 25-30 player in the league. A young all-star is a valuable commodity, is it not?

emmo
Wow. Some of y'all need a hug. We weren't resigning DJ, so we got something in return. Smart move. Don't think we can find decent players in the 20's? Then you haven't watched the Spurs for very long.

Also, there are no players left from the nephew era. I like this. A fresh start. Can't wait to watch this team.

Go Spurs Go!

daslicer
06-29-2022, 05:36 PM
Pop gets a guy he can now drink vine and eat Italian food with.

Mr. Body
Imagine being a player on this team looking over your shoulder knowing you're out the door the moment you do well.

Imagine being a fan of this team wondering if you should bother rooting for anybody at all.

This is just some pathetic shit.

baseline bum
Fuck this team

Uriel
06-29-2022, 05:38 PM

slick'81
06-29-2022, 05:38 PM
Fuck this team

bro havent you heard yet? This is an amazing deal. Spura are set and the future is bright af!

slick'81
06-29-2022, 05:40 PM
Spurs must really like this upcoming draft

Mr. Body
06-29-2022, 05:41 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a team dump a young All-Star for late round picks because... he will be owed some money two years from now.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-29-2022, 05:41 PM
This is what happens when your front office is run by an incompetent yes man (Wright), a senile old fool (Pop), and a wino (R.C).

:td

exstatic
06-29-2022, 05:43 PM

:lol :lol

Sugus
06-29-2022, 05:43 PM
Holy shit.

Someone get Dejounte on suicide watch ASAP

Sugus
06-29-2022, 05:44 PM
Holy shit.

Someone get Dejounte on suicide watch ASAP

TDomination
06-29-2022, 05:46 PM
We better not win more than 10 games next year

exstatic
06-29-2022, 05:47 PM
This is what happens when your front office is run by an incompetent yes man (Wright), a senile old fool (Pop), and a wino (R.C).

:td

Been waiting for this. Surprised you didn’t start your own thread. You never could stay in the game thread on game night.

Barfunk
06-29-2022, 05:48 PM
Smh @ the logic, "We'll it's not like we were going to win the championship next year with Dejounte". Stupid fucking logic. Just pure stupidity.

Uriel
06-29-2022, 05:49 PM
If the Spurs wind up winning the lottery next year, this will go down as one of the greatest trades in franchise history.

emmo
"All-Star" only because an "injured" Draymond Green did Pop a favor and stepped aside for his young player having a good year. Let's not conflate DJ as a perineal all-star talent.

I can also see the front office preferring picks to leave to Quin or whoever takes over for Pop in 2-3 years.

JuneJive
3 unprotected firsts. Try getting those.

Just think about that for a bit.

r0drig0lac
06-29-2022, 05:50 PM
a stupid franchise from top to bottom.

BillMc
If the Hawks suck from 2025 to 27 because of injuries or bad management or bad luck, those unprotecteds and the swap could be gold. A calcualted risk, but one I like taking. Heck, Murray might not even be on the Hawks by 25... He wasn't going to be on the Spurs, so this was the right call.

tonight...you
Like this team was going anywhere the way things have been going.
Drop it like it's hot and get some real talent with multiple picks with some of them very high.

Develop the kids, keep the books clean and strike when the metal is hot.

itzsoweezee
06-29-2022, 05:51 PM
Called it. I knew the Spurs were getting “Klutched”. DJ forced his way out to team up with another Klutch client.

Barfunk
06-29-2022, 05:51 PM
Well*.... So damn pissed at this trade I can't spell right now...

RC_Drunkford
06-29-2022, 05:52 PM

of course he did cause he got the record now, so let's tank 4 years too late

lefty20
06-29-2022, 05:53 PM
People gotta chill the fuck out. We've finally fully embraced the Tank right before a potential franchise altering talent is about to hit the draft. This may not be the direction you wanted but it's still better than staying in the play-in purgatory that we were in.

It's also worth keeping in mind that if one of our youngins turn out to be the real deal in the near future then we'll have the ability to trade the extra picks to them some help to vault ourselves into contention. If not, then the picks will give us extra chance to find that guy.

Larry O
Sounds like a fire sale in full affect! Interesting to see what the future holds... Speaking of future, wonder what is Pop's future as coach will be now. Will he continue to coach at least one more season; reassess things after the season to determine if he has it in him to coach another season with these youngins? Strange times as Spurs fans that we're in... 😩

exstatic

Don’t even try. Let them throw themselves on the ground and have their tantrum.

baseline bum
You honestly can’t be bitching if you wanted a commitment to tanking lol. What was Murray and players gonna do for us again next year? Make us compete for the play-in again. Finally, this is a direction. It won’t be pretty but rebuilds aren’t suppose to be.

If OKC can tank while still holding on to SGA no way the Spurs couldn't have with Murray still on the team. Could have dumped Poetl and Keldon and probably gotten three picks between the two of them.

the golden era
06-29-2022, 05:54 PM
*18 years

I don’t post often, and was a long time lurker before I registered for an account. Holy shit this is crazy. Come out of hibernation for this after all we have been through since signing up? Unreal

Barfunk
06-29-2022, 05:55 PM
PATFO resting on their laurels like a mother f***er.

Mr. Body
06-29-2022, 05:56 PM
Man, the team psychology must be dogshit right now. Your bosses just flipped the heart and soul of the team two years before having to pay him. In so doing, they acquired the draft picks with which they'll replace you.

Aggie Hoopsfan
Been waiting for this. Surprised you didn’t start your own thread. You never could stay in the game thread on game night.

Oh, sorry, my bad, those guys are so awesome!

Put Spurs fans through four years of mediocre ball so Pop could get his stupid wins record, and now they finally developed someone home grown into an All-Star, they dumped him and are going for the tank.

Silly me, give these guys front office of the year for taking another shit on Spurs fans.

baseline bum

Three crappy picks, one of which is a probably an even bet to become two second round picks thanks to heavy protections (the Charlotte pick). And the other two are Atlanta picks that'll be in the 20s probably. I'd rather have one Dejounte Murray than three Keldon Johnsons, and a Keldon Johnson like player is of the best things one could hope for with a pick in the 20s. Fuck this team, this move is retarded as fuck.

Mr. Body
06-29-2022, 05:57 PM
People gotta chill the fuck out. We've finally fully embraced the Tank right before a potential franchise altering talent is about to hit the draft. This may not be the direction you wanted but it's still better than staying in the play-in purgatory that we were in.

It's also worth keeping in mind that if one of our youngins turn out to be the real deal in the near future then we'll have the ability to trade the extra picks to them some help to vault ourselves into contention. If not, then the picks will give us extra chance to find that guy.

You realize it's only a 14% chance to get tall skinny French guy even if you're the worst team in the league, right?

RC_Drunkford

the Spurs didn't get 3 unprotected firsts :lmao

the golden era
*18 years

Fuck this team

Damn BUM, Im surprised your this upset at this trade. It’s a fucking haul. I love DJ like everyone, but this team is not close. We are selling super fucking high right now.

DPG21920
As I argued a year ago, I am glad SA traded DeRozan. Spurs youth, which I believe(d) in, had 0 value. SA couldn’t trade them for anything of value & also didnt know who might be worth building around IF opportunity presented itself.

Credit to them for getting value at least Where there was none before.

I know I will get flamed for this: But I trust SA vision & WHY they did this

I “trust the process” - I just dont love taking “huge upside, huge meh” package vs getting something a bit more concrete

But fully aware this could be a slam dunk deal too - can’t argue against that

I mean, again, I just dont like not getting one guaranteed good asset. Could turn out amazing still so its not that. Not having any protections is risky for ATL (as we just saw with BKY maybe blowing up)

Hopefully more moves to come (Jak, Doug and Richardson). Get all the picks

This deal is not awful due to the picks. Getting unprotected picks, while still *likely* to never pan out to top 4 is a great gamble. That part of it I am fine with. But theres not one guaranteed good asset - if this would have had OO in deal I would be ecstatic.

Tons of work to make this trade any good now. Those picks are likely to be not even lottery so to get no cap space extra, no young player and only some mid picks as it stands now? I dont get it fully, even if I do get the overarching strategy

tonight...you
06-29-2022, 05:58 PM
Lol, you guys.
So emotional.
My sweet girls.

Love to all of you in this time of pain.

Aggie Hoopsfan
If OKC can tank while still holding on to SGA no way the Spurs couldn't have with Murray still on the team. Could have dumped Poetl and Keldon and probably gotten three picks between the two of them.

Exactly. Preach on brother bum, preach on.

Dex
Seriously...some of y'all need to put the curtain rods away.

This team had two directions....rebuild or stay a treadmill team. The front-office can't just work miracles and turn Dejounte Murray into Kevin Durant or some shit like that.

For those who wanted a tank, you got.

For those who were expecting miracles...well, sometimes life is disappointing. Not sure what to tell you.

The days of Tim/Tony/Manu are gone. This group wasn't going to bring us back to relevance, so there is no sense in grasping to it.

So long, Murray. So long, Walker. It's going to be a long road...but this is how you improve IN THE LONG RUN. Maybe I'm just coping, but I'm also all for it.

tbdog

2 when Murray is off contract.

baseline bum
06-29-2022, 05:59 PM
Damn BUM, Im surprised your this upset at this trade. It’s a fucking haul. I love DJ like everyone, but this team is not close. We are selling super fucking high right now.

It's two crap first round picks and another pick that's probably an even money bet at becoming two seconds in 2026 since it depends on Charlotte making the playoffs.

Degoat
It’s a hard day for Spurs nation, wonder what the next steps are for the vets and free agency

TD 21
No reason to trade Johnson, who's only 23 (though his worst habits will be further accentuated now). He's worth more to them for the time being than his probably worth around the league, especially with more picks likely to come for Poeltl and Richardson.

baseline bum
06-29-2022, 06:00 PM
Time to see if you can get a couple of picks for Poetl now. I mean what the fuck is the point of keeping any vet now when they just dumped their 25 year old allstar?

Davidicus2
It hurts knowing DJM won’t be on the team next year, but happy for him going to a contender. I can still enjoy his talents and watching him with Trae Young.

So I assume the 2026 swap is unprotected too? If that’s the case, this trade makes a lot of sense. There’s a lot of emotion because we all love DJM, and we won’t see the full payoff until 2027 (and beyond since rookies need to develop).

I agree we’d be in purgatory with DJM keeping our heads above water. At worst, this trade kicks mediocrity down the line if we keep getting mid to late firsts. At best, this could rocket us back into contention for multiple years. Not to mention Wembanyama sweepstakes.

Larry O
�� Trey Jones and J. Primo are the PGs now or for now? Or will they go after Colin Sexton in the Land?

Larry O
🤔 Trey Jones and J. Primo are the PGs now or for now? Or will they go after Colin Sexton in the Land?

jeebus
06-29-2022, 06:01 PM
Great trade tbh. Hawks are going full Lakers for the next 5 years and those picks will be gold.

the golden era
06-29-2022, 06:03 PM
*18 years

Yet I would propose we learned off OKC in this instance. Despite where you rank SGA vs DJ, it becomes exponentially harder to move a contract of that size and capture the type of assets both we and OKC are interested in at this phase of evolution of the franchise. I quite think we made a smart decision and with how we just parlayed 3 top 20 picks out of this draft, I suspect we are going to be loaded with talent here in the next 2-3 years.

Raven
06-29-2022, 06:05 PM
Amazing move. Atlanta will be way worse than expected imo.

the golden era
*18 years

樂 Trey Jones and J. Primo are the PGs now or for now? Or will they go after Colin Sexton in the Land?

Branham and Wesley are primary ball handlers, this team sees a lot of potential so we selling high and roll for a top 4 pick next year to land a franchise pick.

exstatic
Three crappy picks, one of which is a probably an even bet to become two second round picks thanks to heavy protections (the Charlotte pick). And the other two are Atlanta picks that'll be in the 20s probably. I'd rather have one Dejounte Murray than three Keldon Johnsons, and a Keldon Johnson like player is of the best things one could hope for with a pick in the 20s. Fuck this team, this move is retarded as fuck.

I’d bet on Clifford getting that team into the playoffs multiple times in the 3 year window. Best coach in their new franchise history.

mo7888
06-29-2022, 06:06 PM
You realize it's only a 14% chance to get tall skinny French guy even if you're the worst team in the league, right?

What's the odds of the worst team in the league getting a top 5 pick in the draft?

Dejounte
06-29-2022, 06:06 PM
Sugus you havent posted in forever and that’s what you decided to post? Come on, man. I’m not nearly as attached as you think nor do I put too much effort into complaining about an outcome that’s out of my control.

lefty20
06-29-2022, 06:07 PM

Yes. I also realized that it is better than the 4.xxx% chance we would've had with another mediocre play-in season, tbh.

JuneJive
06-29-2022, 06:08 PM

You don't even comprehend the trade and you are shitting on it.

Dear God.

CGD
06-29-2022, 06:09 PM
Great trade tbh. Hawks are going full Lakers for the next 5 years and those picks will be gold.

I think they should sniff around on Sexton just for the "reclamation asset" potential.

Otherwise time to get whatever we can for Jakob. The team missed an opportunity at the deadline when his value was highest. Calling TOR, CHA, and CHI right now.

PhantomDashCam
06-29-2022, 06:09 PM
Going to wait awhile and process it all before commenting on this one.
‘That being said, I truly believe the best of DJ may be yet to come and the Aldridge/DDR Trudge looks even more painful in hindsight…

baseline bum
06-29-2022, 06:10 PM
Just move the fucking team already. What a moronic trade.

TD 21
06-29-2022, 06:10 PM
�� Trey Jones and J. Primo are the PGs now or for now? Or will they go after Colin Sexton in the Land?

If not him, then possibly Maledon (Thunder are way over roster limit, so he might be a casualty) or Aaron Holiday. Maybe they'd consider Graham depending on how much draft capital the Pelicans are willing to attach.

Trill Clinton
06-29-2022, 06:11 PM
Great trade. Now trade Poeltl and walker can go elsewhere and let the young guys have fun.

offset formation
As I argued a year ago, I am glad SA traded DeRozan. Spurs youth, which I believe(d) in, had 0 value. SA couldn’t trade them for anything of value & also didnt know who might be worth building around IF opportunity presented itself.

Credit to them for getting value at least Where there was none before.

I know I will get flamed for this: But I trust SA vision & WHY they did this

I “trust the process” - I just dont love taking “huge upside, huge meh” package vs getting something a bit more concrete

But fully aware this could be a slam dunk deal too - can’t argue against that

I mean, again, I just dont like not getting one guaranteed good asset. Could turn out amazing still so its not that. Not having any protections is risky for ATL (as we just saw with BKY maybe blowing up)

Hopefully more moves to come (Jak, Doug and Richardson). Get all the picks

This deal is not awful due to the picks. Getting unprotected picks, while still *likely* to never pan out to top 4 is a great gamble. That part of it I am fine with. But theres not one guaranteed good asset - if this would have had OO in deal I would be ecstatic.

Tons of work to make this trade any good now. Those picks are likely to be not even lottery so to get no cap space extra, no young player and only some mid picks as it stands now? I dont get it fully, even if I do get the overarching strategy

Yup. You were ahead of the curve on it, and I joined you in seeing how much sense it made after this year. But I vehemently disagreed with you on this last year when you first suggested it. I saw the writing on the wall though as our 25th pick came across the screen.

Mr. Body
What's the odds of the worst team in the league getting a top 5 pick in the draft?

The worst three teams get a 52.1% chance of a top 4 pick. The top three worst are highly likely to stay within the top 5...

Odds are listed on the tankathon.com main page.

rascal
Good haul.

Why didn't they get a 2023 first from atlanta? I wanted the Spurs to get three players in next years draft and the chance if Atlanta misses the playoofs of two lottery picks. But not against trading Murray.

DPG21920
06-29-2022, 06:12 PM
Also, are we sure SA is going to tank lol? I wonder if they are fine being a treadmill team in late lottery and will sign FA to “keep them afloat” vs tanking hmm…Think we all assume they will tank but I am not 100% confident in that.

RC_Drunkford
06-29-2022, 06:14 PM
You don't even comprehend the trade and you are shitting on it.

Dear God.

says the guy who thinks the Spurs got 3 unprotected picks. Tell me how genius? Charlotte pick is top 16 protected

Robz4000
FWIW, agree on trading Murray but they could've done much better imo. Hopefully they trade everyone over the age of 23 here in the next few days.

offset formation
Just move the fucking team already. What a moronic trade.

And you won't be singing that tune this time next year if we manage to get Wembanyama and have not only a young roster of studs (that actually got PT ON THE COURT) but draft picks oozing out of our eyeballs for the next half decade, with capspace!

Degoat
Also, are we sure SA is going to tank lol? I wonder if they are fine being a treadmill team in late lottery and will sign FA to “keep them afloat” vs tanking hmm…Think we all assume they will tank but I am not 100% confident in that.

Watch them Sign Colin Sexton lol

mo7888
The worst three teams get a 52.1% chance of a top 4 pick. The top three worst are highly likely to stay within the top 5...

Odds are listed on the tankathon.com main page.

The odds are 100% to get a top 5 pick with the worst record in the league....and yes the odds are highly likely to be better than #5..

RC_Drunkford
06-29-2022, 06:16 PM

tbdog

2 unprotected. 1 pick swap. 1 hornets top 16 protected.

Robz4000

:lol if they end up as the 10th seed again I'll lose my mind

mo7888
says the guy who thinks the Spurs got 3 unprotected picks. Tell me how genius? Charlotte pick is top 16 protected

I think he's talking about the 2026 pick swap being unprotected as the 3rd unprotected pick..

RC_Drunkford
06-29-2022, 06:17 PM
2 unprotected. 1 pick swap. 1 hornets top 16 protected.

why are you telling me things that I already know? Like does that boost your confidence or something?

slick'81

of course your not

Mugen
:lol People thinking they're in full on tank mode. I guess that's why the Old Man is still sticking around then? You really think he's going to do what is necessary to fully commit to a full on tank season? Hell no.

They won't even be a bottom 5 team next year.

Trade Poetl ASAP as well.

They've already sent a message to all their young guys that they're on a minor league team. Wait your turn, get better and you'll get a call up to the big leagues soon enough :lol

RC_Drunkford
06-29-2022, 06:18 PM
I think he's talking about the 2026 pick swap being unprotected as the 3rd unprotected pick..

since when do 2 picks and 1 swap equal to 3 picks? Can you pick 3 players in 3 drafts with those 2 picks?

slick'81
06-29-2022, 06:18 PM
why are you telling me things that I already know? Like does that boost your confidence or something?

hes a lil slow

baseline bum
06-29-2022, 06:19 PM
And you won't be singing that tune this time next year if we manage to get Wembanyama and have not only a young roster of studs (that actually got PT ON THE COURT) but draft picks oozing out of our eyeballs for the next half decade, with capspace!

Could have gotten two firsts and two seconds for Poetl and Keldon in trade instead and still tanked while having one legitimately talented player still on the roster.

rascal
06-29-2022, 06:19 PM

They are going to get a great player in next year's draft.

They should land a top 5 pick or better next year.

Dex
06-29-2022, 06:21 PM
Just throwing shit at the wall here, but....what if Dejounte wanted out?

What if he requested a trade, but did it professionally instead of being like Nephew and blasting it out all over Twitter and through the media?

He's been a good soldier all along...but maybe SA wasn't his dream destination.

blizz
06-29-2022, 06:23 PM
It just doesn’t make sense. You pick a player with potential and when he finally reaches that potential you ship him off for more projects YEARS from now. How does that not continue a cycle? You lose an all star player NOW, for potential years from now. I could see if it was for three first round picks next year but several years from now with none being in the lottery? Just plain stupid.

Chillen
06-29-2022, 06:24 PM
Pretty terrible trade for the Spurs. Atlanta won this trade and the picks the Spurs got back aren't even that high. Pop likely don't give a crap anymore Spurs in full tank mode now.

blizz
It just doesn’t make sense. You pick a player with potential and when he finally reaches that potential you ship him off for more projects YEARS from now. How does that not continue a cycle? You lose an all star player NOW, for potential years from now. I could see if it was for three first round picks next year but several years from now with none being in the lottery? Just plain stupid.

slick'81

What if he requested a trade, but did it professionally instead of being like Nephew and blasting it out all over Twitter and through the media?

if thats the case well never really know so its moot

DesignatedT
06-29-2022, 06:25 PM

The Spurs could probably sign Sexton and be right back in the play-in next season.... The same place they were with Murray.

Yet, you'd think we just traded Michael Jordan.

DesignatedT

The Spurs could probably sign Sexton and be right back in the play-in next season.... The same place they were with Murray.

Yet, you'd think we just traded Michael Jordan.

offset formation

Wouldn't surprise me quite frankly given he saw White go to another yeamand almost ring. He knows we're a long, long ways off from that here...at least on the course we were on. I'd actually be willing to be he told PATFO he was OK with being traded to certain destinations.

InRareForm
06-29-2022, 06:27 PM
Strength in numbers! Draft picks that is. Keep trying and just repeat until you get a duncan or kawhi

SpurSpike
06-29-2022, 06:29 PM

Either that or Spurs viewed him as a stat padder and sold before people realized this.

jjspur
06-29-2022, 06:29 PM
Brian Wright became Brian Wrong all over again. Sucks when you're in summer league and all you have to look forward to is tanking. Spoiler alert -- even if we're the worst team next season, there is no guarantee we get the first pick and draft Wemba banana. Such a bad move. Gallo is just waiting to get waived so he can join another team.

Mr. Body
06-29-2022, 06:32 PM
Atlanta DESTROYED the Spurs with this trade.

And... we realize that pick swap is shit, right? It literally means the Spurs have to be better than the Hawks for it to confer.

Who really thinks THAT will happen? Especially following this policy of dumping anyone who will cost money years before their extensions are due?

RC_Drunkford
06-29-2022, 06:32 PM

Spurs fans and their science fiction stories are hilarious. TimVP already reported about him not asking for a trade. Stop making shit up.

Mr. Body
06-29-2022, 06:36 PM
Can you imagine Atlanta in the last week?

San Antonio calls them up, says, For a few of your crappy 20s range picks, we'll give you our best player, an All-Star on a great contract. You don't have to give us anything else."

They must be jacking each other off right now.

RC_Drunkford
06-29-2022, 06:38 PM

baseline bum
06-29-2022, 06:39 PM
They are going to get a great player in next year's draft.

They should land a top 5 pick or better next year.

JFC if they don't tank next year.

BatManu20
06-29-2022, 06:40 PM
We were bottom-5 in attendance last season. I imagine we’ll be bottom-3 the next couple years, even with cheaper tickets now. This is gonna be rough.

JuneJive
06-29-2022, 06:40 PM
since when do 2 picks and 1 swap equal to 3 picks? Can you pick 3 players in 3 drafts with those 2 picks?

Huh?

It's 3 unprotected picks. End of story.

I'm not going into what kind of picks they will end up being.
No one knows. But, those who say they know - they definetly don't.

lefty20
06-29-2022, 06:41 PM

The cycle stops when we finally get a MVP caliber player. Fringe all-stars are not gonna lead us back into contention.

baseline bum
06-29-2022, 06:43 PM
Can you imagine Atlanta in the last week?

San Antonio calls them up, says, For a few of your crappy 20s range picks, we'll give you our best player, an All-Star on a great contract. You don't have to give us anything else."

They must be jacking each other off right now.

No no no, we can take Gallinari's trash contract off your hands too!

baseline bum
06-29-2022, 06:44 PM
We were bottom-5 in attendance last season. I imagine we’ll be bottom-3 the next couple years, even with cheaper tickets now. This is gonna be rough.

That game at the Alamodome is going to be hilarious next year.

baseline bum
06-29-2022, 06:45 PM
Huh?

It's 3 unprotected picks. End of story.

I'm not going into what kind of picks they will end up being.
No one knows. But, those who say they know - they definetly don't.

No it isn't, the Charlotte pick Atlanta sent has heavy protections on it, something like top 16 protected in 2023, top 14 protected in 2024, top 13 protected in 2025, and then it becomes two seconds in 2026.

tim_duncan_fan
06-29-2022, 06:47 PM
I wish we had gotten more BUT, I am very down with the concept of not overpaying mid-level players.

Aldo, this is just me, but I think the Spurs think if they could get near all-star out of Dejounte, they can get near all-star r real all-star out of another young player soon enough.

DJ is not one to carry a team, so I get not paying a ton of money, and I also get sending him to a good spot. But I did want to have gotten at least one for-sure lotto pick out of wherever we sent him. Ah well.

Another thing to note, DJ is a good dude, but that doesn't mean he and Trae gel. DJ also doesn't necessarily guarantee that the Hawks are better or guarantee that they won't be worse.

Desert Spur
06-29-2022, 06:48 PM
What happens if Charlotte winds up in the lottery next year?

cjw
06-29-2022, 06:51 PM
The team had one more offseason after this one (where there are no FA targets) before Murray and Poeltl were going to take up considerable cap space between the two of them. And as constructed, the team was a play-in team at best with no path to get better.

You have to look at this trade as (1) it likely improves Spurs’ own 2023 pick considerably in a strong draft and (2) preserves cap flexibility. If they strike big with this crop of picks or next year’s, they won’t be up against the cap.

Extending Murray in a year also probably meant at least one of Poeltl, KJ or Vassell being gone.

Duncan2177
06-29-2022, 06:52 PM
They better tank hard for Wembanyama.

Barfunk
06-29-2022, 06:59 PM

Ban this poster for too much logic.

baseline bum
06-29-2022, 07:02 PM
Aldo, this is just me, but I think the Spurs think if they could get near all-star out of Dejounte, they can get near all-star r real all-star out of another young player soon enough.

Just like they did with Lonnie Walker, Luka Samanic, Derrick White, and Keldon Johnson!

FkLA
06-29-2022, 07:05 PM
Murray isn't that guy. He's not a transcendent talent. Spurs can easily find another fringe all-star. He might already be on the roster.

A bigger haul would've been nice but it's pretty much a copy of the Jrue deal. Probably a little better since ATL never becomes as good as MIL even with Murray. Can we honestly say Murray is worth significantly more than Jrue? I think an argument can be made that he's worth less than Jrue. I don't get the outrage. Mediocrity sucks. Time to embrace the tank.

T Park
06-29-2022, 07:08 PM
Lol people all up in their feelings. Hilarious stuff.

exstatic
06-29-2022, 07:11 PM
What happens if Charlotte winds up in the lottery next year?

The pick defers to 2024, 1-14 protected. If they’re in the lottery in 2024, it defers to 2025, 1-14 protected. After that, two seconds.

They just got Steve Clifford back as coach, and he’s had more success getting them into the playoffs than any other coach. People were freaking out about the Toronto pick not conveying, with only two chances, and we got it the first year.

Mr. Body
The fans ain't coming back. Why would you trust anything this franchise does? Start getting close to competetive, a fun, striving team, and blow a fucking hole in their side because you might have to pay the guy in two fucking years.

LMAO. This team is moving to Las Vegas. New ownership. This is a RIP moment.

Mr. Body
The fans ain't coming back. Why would you trust anything this franchise does? Start getting close to competetive, a fun, striving team, and blow a fucking hole in their side because you might have to pay the guy in two fucking years.

LMAO. This team is moving to Las Vegas. New ownership. This is a RIP moment.

exstatic
06-29-2022, 07:14 PM
Just like they did with Lonnie Walker, Luka Samanic, Derrick White, and Keldon Johnson!

Keldon actually has a decent shot. Sorry to rain on your rained on parade.

Leetonidas
06-29-2022, 07:15 PM
I get being pissed but the meltdown some of yall are having is rather comical:lol

JeffDuncan
06-29-2022, 07:17 PM
It just doesn’t make sense. You pick a player with potential and when he finally reaches that potential …

The team won 34 games last season. If you’ve “reached your potential” with only 34 wins it’s time for a change.

It’s a team sport.

How does that not continue a cycle?

Here’s a cycle for you: 32 wins, 33 wins, 34 wins.

At that rate the Spurs would return to winning fifty games a year in sixteen years. Yay for 2039. I hope we’re all still alive to see it.

It was time, and past time, to shake things up. So, they are shaking, and dealing.

Right, or wrong? Nobody knows yet. But it was time.

eDizzle20
06-29-2022, 07:20 PM
Quite honestly the Spurs were quite strategic in their acquisition of picks. The Hawks specific picks and swap are not until 2025. Entering the 2024/2025 season the DJM, Hunter, and Bogdanovic will all be unrestricted free agents. They'll have to spend big for sure to keep DJM and Hunter. Bogdanovic is probably expendable. Besides that they will have Trae will be paying Trae $42,456,000 and Collins $26,580,000 respectively. Ultimately, by the time it comes for those picks the Hawks could be a middle of the pack team.

Many people are upset at PATFO and claim he's senile, but this was not done haphazardly. I'm sure Brian Wright was one biggest if not the biggest facilitator in this structure. With that being said I think Pop enjoys coaching young players and while there will be more losing there will also be more learning from his players.

emanueldavidginobili
06-29-2022, 07:29 PM
I can understand if DJ was 29, knocking on 30 or something but god damn this shit was rushed. First season ever in his career being the man and he flourished and got an AS nod for the first time in his career. They gambled on trading him for some 1st round picks that might not ever be better than him. Granted this draft was average, I'll be shocked that more than 3-5 players from the entire draft (being generous) end up being better than current DJ. They also gambled on the thought that this was the highest his price is going to be. I'd put my money on him having an even better year this year opposed to him having an underwhelming season and his worth goes down. If they were serious about trading DJ, which they were, they should have waited until the trade deadline. Where there are injuries and for some teams that may or may not have seen themselves in the playoff hunt but they end up being there, want to make a push and trade for him.

I'm thinking ATL FO hit up the Spurs and said they wanted to get DJ. Trae probably got wind of it and hit up DJ about it, there were reports that they texted about the situation. DJ probably went to the FO and said he was down and they mutually agreed that this was the best option for both parties. I don't think he was blindsided whatsoever even though his tweets sounded like he was trolling about the situation. Like i've said I think he's going to be even better next year and especially more notable after playing and living in the ATL. He's going to fit right in on that team & city, good for him.

cd98
06-29-2022, 07:34 PM
Atlanta isn’t a top 4 team in the east after this trade. If I’m the next three years Young tears an ACL, they will be out of the playoffs like the Warriors and SA will cash in. I mean, it’s no sure thing, but at a minimum they get extra firsts, but there is potential for so much more. See GS with lottery pick from T Wolves.

baseline bum
06-29-2022, 07:34 PM
The team won 34 games last season. If you’ve “reached your potential” with only 34 wins it’s time for a change.

It’s a team sport.

Here’s a cycle for you: 32 wins, 33 wins, 34 wins.

At that rate the Spurs would return to winning fifty games a year in sixteen years. Yay for 2039. I hope we’re all still alive to see it.

It was time, and past time, to shake things up. So, they are shaking, and dealing.

Right, or wrong? Nobody knows yet. But it was time.

Could have probably gotten two firsts and two seconds from dumping Poetl and Keldon instead. They'd have been much easier to replace than Murray.

timtonymanu
06-29-2022, 07:35 PM
I get being pissed but the meltdown some of yall are having is rather comical:lol

Funny how the sniffers seem to be more calm about this news than the tank crew is :lol

Dex
06-29-2022, 07:35 PM
Murray isn't that guy. He's not a transcendent talent. Spurs can easily find another fringe all-star. He might already be on the roster.

A bigger haul would've been nice but it's pretty much a copy of the Jrue deal. Probably a little better since ATL never becomes as good as MIL even with Murray. Can we honestly say Murray is worth significantly more than Jrue? I think an argument can be made that he's worth less than Jrue. I don't get the outrage. Mediocrity sucks. Time to embrace the tank.

I don't wish injury on ANY player...but just saying, all it takes is one injury (or suspension, or mental illness, or whatever) for Atlanta to fall out of the play-off race.

AGAIN....not hoping for it, but these things happen.

Strategic
06-29-2022, 07:38 PM
On first glance this does seem like a curious move. Maybe the FO just wasn’t interested in any of the moves that could be made this off season that might help the team advance in the standings, or wouldn’t advance the team enough. They may still have been a little gun shy to ask Murray to hang considering the shit Leonard pulled on the team. I won’t be crying about this, regardless.

exstatic
06-29-2022, 07:40 PM
I can understand if DJ was 29, knocking on 30 or something but god damn this shit was rushed. First season ever in his career being the man and he flourished and got an AS nod for the first time in his career. They gambled on trading him for some 1st round picks that might not ever be better than him. Granted this draft was average, I'll be shocked that more than 3-5 players from the entire draft (being generous) end up being better than current DJ. They also gambled on the thought that this was the highest his price is going to be. I'd put my money on him having an even better year this year opposed to him having an underwhelming season and his worth goes down. If they were serious about trading DJ, which they were, they should have waited until the trade deadline. Where there are injuries and for some teams that may or may not have seen themselves in the playoff hunt but they end up being there, want to make a push and trade for him.

I'm thinking ATL FO hit up the Spurs and said they wanted to get DJ. Trae probably got wind of it and hit up DJ about it, there were reports that they texted about the situation. DJ probably went to the FO and said he was down and they mutually agreed that this was the best option for both parties. I don't think he was blindsided whatsoever even though his tweets sounded like he was trolling about the situation. Like i've said I think he's going to be even better next year and especially more notable after playing and living in the ATL. He's going to fit right in on that team & city, good for him.

DJ is mediocre off the ball, and he will most certainly be off the ball in ATL.

JeffDuncan
06-29-2022, 07:41 PM
Could have probably gotten two firsts and two seconds from dumping Poetl and Keldon instead. …

Still could happen. There’s no rule that a team can only make one trade a year.

They'd have been much easier to replace than Murray.

But not as easy to trade as Murray. The easy trades get done first.

In other words, I now expect to see more. Don’t know who or for what.

tbdog
06-29-2022, 07:53 PM

Murray was in the Leonard era. His timeline is not with vassell etc.

BatManu20
06-29-2022, 07:57 PM
That mini-high we had from the draft was fun while it lasted :lol

baseline bum
06-29-2022, 07:58 PM
Murray was in the Leonard era. His timeline is not with vassell etc.

Vassell hasn't shown anything to deserve being considered part of a timeline. Really hope the Spurs know what they're doing with Primo because he sure didn't look anything like the promising prospect Parker was at 19.

JeffDuncan
06-29-2022, 08:05 PM
That mini-high we had from the draft was fun while it lasted :lol

It’s great! There’s no Spurs fan who can honestly say he has nothing to talk about.

Robz4000
06-29-2022, 08:09 PM
Vassell hasn't shown anything to deserve being considered part of a timeline. Really hope the Spurs know what they're doing with Primo because he sure didn't look anything like the promising prospect Parker was at 19.

:lol the notion that Primo an NBA player, much less a starting PG at this point

diego
06-29-2022, 08:15 PM
Besides the timeline, DJ is a bad archetype (defensive PG with a bad shot, not a good closer). And hes already had a bad injury. I get being pissed about the return, but I'm mostly relieved they moved on because he already hit his ceiling imho

DAF86
06-29-2022, 08:20 PM
Welp, trade Poeltl, Keldon, Richardson, Collins and anyone who can play a little and isn't a rookie or sophomore, and go hard after that French kid.

It's gonna be hard warching the Spurs looking for them to lose.

DAF86
06-29-2022, 08:20 PM
Welp, trade Poeltl, Keldon, Richardson, Collins and anyone who can play a little and isn't a rookie or sophomore, and go hard after that French kid.

It's gonna be hard warching the Spurs looking for them to lose.

tbdog
06-29-2022, 08:22 PM

IMO, vassell is my only untouchable on this team. He will be a good 2 way with higher potential.