PDA

View Full Version : The 3D chess CIA Pop interpretation of the Dejounte trade

The Janitor
07-01-2022, 06:37 AM
I’ve been really impressed with the way they have rebuilt the team without ever actively tanking. The orthodoxy today when rebuilding is there’s really only one way to do it – through tanking for high draft picks. But it's been proven incorrect time and again. Look at all the franchises that have done it only to end up mired in sludge at the bottom of the league.

On the flipside, let's look at how last year's champion was built, or this year's conference finalists. Giannis, #15. Jrue #17. Khris 2nd rd. Steph, #7. Dray 2nd round. Wiggins #1 but TRADED for. Tatum/Brown #3 (but they didn't tank for those picks) . Bam #14. JimmyB, 2nd rd. AND SO ON. Tanking for picks does not guarantee success, there’s not even a very productive lineage for it if you look back decades, Duncan aside (and the Spurs were lucky – they had the 3rd worst record that year iirc).

OTOH, what the Spurs have done over the past 6 years – turning a bunch of middling and lower picks into good NBA players with upside left – has built an excellent foundation for the team to take the next step. They made a huge leap last season, and are now a primary scorer like LaVine away from winning mid to high 40s. They lost a lot of games in the final minutes last season because Dejounte not a #1 finisher and scorer who can carry a team in the 4th. He’d be a fine #2-3, but he’s not a primary guy with the game on the line.

Now, because of the great development of all the youth, the team has assets to spare in trades for the player they need to make the jump to the next level (low seed playoff team). After that, only Nostradamus knows how it plays out. But they were ready to make that jump with one good trade, and then they sent out Dejounte. Now they’re tanking for the Scoot/Wembanyama chook raffle. I personally found the change of direction and philosophy jarring and despised the trade to start with, but now I understand it.

After reading and listening to cleverer people than myself regarding the Dejounte trade, I get it now. Haven't changed my mind on the philosophy of it – I still believe keeping him another year or two might result in a competitive and interesting Spurs playoff team after a trade or two. But, because of his value contract, and the 120% max raise of post-rookie contract rule, the Spurs could not offer him max in 2024. Dejounte’s agents told them he was not going to extend because of this, so they'd risk losing him for nothing. So yeah, in that instance a smart Front Office takes the picks.

Here's the kicker – what if this is a true CIA Pop 3D chess move? What if when Dejounte hits FA in 2024 the Spurs offer him the max through his prime and he comes back to lead them? Two more years of development in players like Vassell, Sochan, Primo, maybe a clever trade for a primary scorer, and the team could be primed to explode by then, just in time for Dejounte to return and lead them to DuncanLand! That is what's going on here. I get it now. As a corollary, imagine how the Hawks would feel – thoroughly CIA Pop-ed!

KingKev
07-01-2022, 06:49 AM
Clueless.

That part about the contract is just wrong.

exstatic
07-01-2022, 06:53 AM
I’ve been really impressed with the way they have rebuilt the team without ever actively tanking. The orthodoxy today when rebuilding is there’s really only one way to do it – through tanking for high draft picks. But it's been proven incorrect time and again. Look at all the franchises that have done it only to end up mired in sludge at the bottom of the league.

On the flipside, let's look at how last year's champion was built, or this year's conference finalists. Giannis, #15. Jrue #17. Khris 2nd rd. Steph, #7. Dray 2nd round. Wiggins #1 but TRADED for. Tatum/Brown #3 (but they didn't tank for those picks) . Bam #14. JimmyB, 2nd rd. AND SO ON. Tanking for picks does not guarantee success, there’s not even a very productive lineage for it if you look back decades, Duncan aside (and the Spurs were lucky – they had the 3rd worst record that year iirc).

OTOH, what the Spurs have done over the past 6 years – turning a bunch of middling and lower picks into good NBA players with upside left – has built an excellent foundation for the team to take the next step. They made a huge leap last season, and are now a primary scorer like LaVine away from winning mid to high 40s. They lost a lot of games in the final minutes last season because Dejounte not a #1 finisher and scorer who can carry a team in the 4th. He’d be a fine #2-3, but he’s not a primary guy with the game on the line.

Now, because of the great development of all the youth, the team has assets to spare in trades for the player they need to make the jump to the next level (low seed playoff team). After that, only Nostradamus knows how it plays out. But they were ready to make that jump with one good trade, and then they sent out Dejounte. Now they’re tanking for the Scoot/Wembanyama chook raffle. I personally found the change of direction and philosophy jarring and despised the trade to start with, but now I understand it.

After reading and listening to cleverer people than myself regarding the Dejounte trade, I get it now. Haven't changed my mind on the philosophy of it – I still believe keeping him another year or two might result in a competitive and interesting Spurs playoff team after a trade or two. But, because of his value contract, and the 120% max raise of post-rookie contract rule, the Spurs could not offer him max in 2024. Dejounte’s agents told them he was not going to extend because of this, so they'd risk losing him for nothing. So yeah, in that instance a smart Front Office takes the picks.

Here's the kicker – what if this is a true CIA Pop 3D chess move? What if when Dejounte hits FA in 2024 the Spurs offer him the max through his prime and he comes back to lead them? Two more years of development in players like Vassell, Sochan, Primo, maybe a clever trade for a primary scorer, and the team could be primed to explode by then, just in time for Dejounte to return and lead them to DuncanLand! That is what's going on here. I get it now. As a corollary, imagine how the Hawks would feel – thoroughly CIA Pop-ed!

Nah. He’s not worth his max, and the Spurs know it. No CIA Pop 3D chess move, just common sense.

CGD
07-01-2022, 06:58 AM
Dawg, he gone. He’ll always have a place in our hearts and we can always pull for him from afar like with Derrick.

cutewizard
07-01-2022, 08:10 AM
First part of the essay was spot on though.....

widowmaker
07-01-2022, 08:11 AM
People need to realize that the Spurs are just going to end up being a player farm for the rest of the league since free agents that are worth the while will never sign here and every other year when a player develops he will be too old or not part of the master plan and get traded out.

cutewizard
07-01-2022, 08:22 AM
Speaking of Chess

decision nodes in the Spurs timeline variations offer exciting possibilities

they can go after prized free agents now, but....is that really the optimum pathline?

Or is the optimum pathline the Hunt for Wembanyama?!

Time will tell.

_------------------------------------

one thing is for sure, WE ARE THE PREDATOR now! Hehehehe

cutewizard
07-01-2022, 08:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ7LytagKlc

kjhip1
07-01-2022, 08:24 AM
People need to realize that the Spurs are just going to end up being a player farm for the rest of the league since free agents that are worth the while will never sign here and every other year when a player develops he will be too old or not part of the master plan and get traded out.

Problem with this is they have no record of doing that. When Kawhi got traded for Demar, Spurs realistically tried making the POs and being competitive. Maybe they are a little late to the game when it comes to full rebuild, but the fact they are doing SOMETHING is better than mediocracy and hovering around ~35 wins for the season. Lets see what they can do during a full rebuild and hope they have a plan going forward and not some farm team for the rest of the NBA. Judging by what they have done , I'd say they have a plan in mind. Patience.

cutewizard
07-01-2022, 08:52 AM
:elephant

rascal
07-01-2022, 08:57 AM
Spurs didn't make a huge leap last year. They were 14 games below .500.

John B
07-01-2022, 09:35 AM
As somebody suggested, they could’ve blown it and got multiple FRP’s for DDR, LMA, Gay and even Patty 4 years ago, and probably had chance to draft Mobley, Edward, Barnes, Cunningham with our multiple picks in doing so, instead of Spurs’ current situation. See if Spurs are still playing 3D chess. For what? Pop all-time record?

I thought the last 4 years, Spurs was trying to fix a marriage that was doomed from the start. DDR was flawed, LMA was a quitter, and Poeltl is at best a backup Center with limited offensive game. Spurs tried to work it up despite the obvious. It would not work, and just delayed the inevitable, trading Demar that they could have done (or should’ve not taken the trade in the first place), and let LMA walk for nothing, while our young building blocks suffered for limited minutes.

In hindsight everything they did the last 4 years were patch up’s. Instead of buying a new washing machine, they kept patching the leaks and the darn thing never washed clothes anyway.

Bruh, today is actually the 1st day I’m taking this stance. Like a cold water in the face! Nah, it wasn’t a 3D chess. Spurs was more like George Bailey’s building and loan who touched many lives but remained broke.

Nah, I still love my team for sentimental reasons, and for standing up against the big market. It is what it is. But sometimes I wish Pop would just let RC do the managing, devoid of any charity work, just flat-out savvy business. I’m glad they’re blowing it up right now and maybe we find out if the roots are strong. Is Primo really that good who they picked against all pundits? And maybe in fact Pop is playing 3D chess and Wright this no-wings angel Clarence.

The Janitor
07-01-2022, 10:46 PM
Dejounte has very deep feelings for Pop and the organisation: https://twitter.com/legionhoops/status/1542962320791334913?s=21&t=HmXmeQw89JBF7U5RWJQ2aA

The Janitor
07-01-2022, 10:48 PM
And how many games did they lose in the last 4 minutes because they lacked a go-to guy? Lots.

You can't just look at the record without the context. Their play as a team vastly improved last year. They just couldn't finish games.

The Janitor
07-01-2022, 10:54 PM
I totally agree. They should have blown it up the moment Tim retired, but didn't because of Pop. Then Kawhi stabbed them in the back and gave them another opportunity to blow it up. They didn't although they should've. What they did do was use what they had to work with to the absolute best results - that is my contention.

You are absolutely wrong about Poeltl - he is an average to good starter in the right team construction. Great rim protector, quite mobile, good and improving passer, good finisher in the paint.

Also, you could learn to read - I was describing the Dejounte trade as 3D chess, not the past 6 years.

And I'm not your bruh, dude.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2022, 11:37 PM
https://slapwank.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Funny-Alien-Memes-1.jpg