PDA

View Full Version : So..... Whos Point Guard?

illusioNtEk
07-04-2022, 02:56 AM
Now that the dust has settled a bit, lets not forget we kinda need a point guard now?

KingKev
07-04-2022, 03:08 AM
Now that the dust has settled a bit, lets not forget we kinda need a point guard now?

Tre Jones probably gets the nod atleast to start the season. Primo will start out as the first guard off the bench and do a little bit of everything I suspect.

Fireball
07-04-2022, 03:19 AM
nobody plays PG ...tanking gets even easier

Dhbsr555
07-04-2022, 03:31 AM
Primo will start

tbdog
07-04-2022, 04:54 AM
Where we going, we don't need points.

https://media.tenor.com/images/5895a8c75c4fd8d31ea655b884e26e56/tenor.gif

Slippy
07-04-2022, 05:11 AM
Well if spurs are serious about tanking Trey Jones is your man.

duncan2150
07-04-2022, 05:45 AM
Tre Jones

stephen jackson
07-04-2022, 07:37 AM
I despise Tre Jones .

mo7888
07-04-2022, 07:59 AM
I'm guessing Primo as of now..but until we trade Jak and JRich and use our cap space we really won't know what the composition of the SL looks like.

Teamduncan21
07-04-2022, 08:10 AM
Poeltl

AFBlue
07-04-2022, 08:22 AM
Pop always plays with the starting lineup at the beginning of the year, so I don't think we'll know until several games in whether Primo is getting the nod as a true lead guard. I would assume Tre Jones for now, but the best option on the team is probably Josh Richardson.

KingKev
07-04-2022, 08:34 AM
Pop always plays with the starting lineup at the beginning of the year, so I don't think we'll know until several games in whether Primo is getting the nod as a true lead guard. I would assume Tre Jones for now, but the best option on the team is probably Josh Richardson.

Yeah I think even if Primo is the better option on day one it is Tre Jones’ to lose due to seniority/hierarchy and I see Tre as more of a leader currently but that could change quickly. Either way they both are going to get similar playing time if we mostly stand pat on the current roster.

Big Empty
07-04-2022, 08:35 AM
Bryn Forbes coukd def help get us back to a top 4 pick

jeebus
07-04-2022, 10:03 AM
Bring back Poop's pet PG project in Gary Neal.

DAF86
07-04-2022, 10:38 AM
If they are serious about seeing Primo as the PG of the future, I don't see how anyone else can be selected over him.

KobesAchilles
07-04-2022, 11:14 AM
We have plenty of point guards on the team. That’s the whole point of drafting combo guards I thought. Everybody is a point guard :lol

dokdok
07-04-2022, 11:21 AM
Russell Westbrook lmao

Dejounte
07-04-2022, 11:30 AM
Wesley by mid-season tbh

Primo and Wieskamp already praising him for his passing skills

Chomag
07-04-2022, 11:35 AM
What is this obsession with making Primo into a PG? I just don't see it in his game. Unless he sees something we don't see which is very possible but I wish Pop would let a player be what they naturally are.

I have just seen to many players in spurs history get derailed with Pop's pg experiment.

slick'81
07-04-2022, 12:08 PM
Havent you heard? Primos gonna be an allstar

R. DeMurre
07-04-2022, 12:09 PM
Unless there's a move before the season starts, it's looking like having some instability/inexperience at the PG position could be part of the tank program. It's all semantics at this point, but "try your best even though you're at a purposefully created disadvantage" isn't exactly the same as "we need to lose in order to improve our odds of getting Wembanyama," but it's awfully close.

John B
07-04-2022, 01:13 PM
I think they’re committed to Primo as the new PG, and I don’t see why not start him on day 1 so not to make that clear. It will be a growing pain but it will send the message and avoid that DJ/White scenario.

John B
07-04-2022, 01:17 PM
What is this obsession with making Primo into a PG? I just don't see it in his game. Unless he sees something we don't see which is very possible but I wish Pop would let a player be what they naturally are.

I have just seen to many players in spurs history get derailed with Pop's pg experiment.

Can you list those PG names that Pop derailed with his PG experiment. (Jeopardy background que).

Mr. Body
07-04-2022, 01:39 PM
Primo
Tre Jones
Sochan

J. Richardson if he's on the team

Those are your full court ball-handlers.

offset formation
07-04-2022, 02:04 PM
Where we going, we don't need points.

https://media.tenor.com/images/5895a8c75c4fd8d31ea655b884e26e56/tenor.gif

ISWYDT.

But does that mean we're getting 5 chips in the future?

Degoat
07-04-2022, 02:06 PM
All I know is we got plenty of options…. Ray Mccallum, Nico laprovittola, Nando de Colo, TJ Ford, Gary Neal, Roger Mason lmao jk jk

KingKev
07-04-2022, 02:35 PM
This new woke Pop might’ve made something out of Beno or Antonio Daniels instead of breaking their souls.

Mr. Body
07-04-2022, 02:36 PM
Dennis Schroeder is available.

scott
07-04-2022, 03:12 PM
I still want a way to land Micic. I’d do it for JRich if OKC would (doubtful)

TD 21
07-04-2022, 03:27 PM
I still want a way to land Micic. I’d do it for JRich if OKC would (doubtful)

Apparently doesn't want to play for a re-building team. If he can be persuaded otherwise though, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3 team trade where whatever they get for Richardson is rerouted to the Thunder for his rights.

Chinook
07-04-2022, 03:32 PM
They have three PGs on the roster and a couple of open spots even before guys like Poeltl and Richardson are shown the door. They should bring in a vet to help run the team. People keep wanting the young guys learn but don't think it would be easier to do that with vets on the floor with them. It's like thinking that kids teaching themselves in school is somehow better than having a teacher in there.

SPURt
07-04-2022, 03:50 PM
Wasn’t there a story that the FO view Primo as a PG?

TD 21
07-04-2022, 04:03 PM
They have three PGs on the roster

Are you seriously counting Primo and Wesley?

Dejounte
07-04-2022, 04:08 PM

It was an ST article and those go either way as far as truth is concerned despite many taking his word as gospel.

Primo is as much of a PG as Harden is. You can play him out there as the sole distributor with shooters around him or you can play him out there with a Pat Bev or Irving and maximize his versatility both on offense and defense. With Primo, he’s unusually strong and has good fundamentals on defense similar to how White would be. Primo is also already above average as an offball shooter, with the IQ to space the floor by always moving.

So it remains to be seen how Primo will be used this upcoming season. I know for sure he will start as a PG in the summer league due to knowing the playbook. When the regular season starts though, I’m betting it will be different.

Dejounte
07-04-2022, 04:21 PM
Primo gives you options. A truly modern NBA player if he works out.

baseline bum
07-04-2022, 04:23 PM
This new woke Pop might’ve made something out of Beno or Antonio Daniels instead of breaking their souls.

Lindsey Hunter broke Beno's soul

Mr. Body
07-04-2022, 04:30 PM
They have three PGs on the roster and a couple of open spots even before guys like Poeltl and Richardson are shown the door. They should bring in a vet to help run the team. People keep wanting the young guys learn but don't think it would be easier to do that with vets on the floor with them. It's like thinking that kids teaching themselves in school is somehow better than having a teacher in there.

Who is the third PG on the roster? It's Primo and Jones.

Dejounte
07-04-2022, 04:34 PM
Same guy who is adamant about current Zach being a PF :lmao :lmao

south side spur
07-04-2022, 04:36 PM
Who is the third PG on the roster? It's Primo and Jones.

Wesley he’s a combo guard.

TD 21
07-04-2022, 04:37 PM
Primo is as much of a PG as Harden is. You can play him out there as the sole distributor with shooters around him or you can play him out there with a Pat Bev or Irving and maximize his versatility both on offense and defense.

Harden is one of the greatest play makers of all time. Primo hasn't proven himself at this level period, let alone in that role or as the sole option to do so.

Dejounte
07-04-2022, 04:43 PM
Harden is one of the greatest play makers of all time. Primo hasn't proven himself at this level period, let alone in that role or as the sole option to do so.

Yes, I understand where Harden stands and I’m not delusional about Primo’s level as a player. I’m merely referencing his archetype and what his current tools are. It’s proven he has some ability to make passes others cannot. He’s big. He’s not exceptionally quick. He’s strong. There’s plenty there to draw comparisons to if you’re looking at base level only. Yes, he’s not proven that he can own that role against NBA players and I’m not disputing that.

Mr. Body
07-04-2022, 04:46 PM
Wesley he’s a combo guard.

I wouldn't trust his handles at this point yet.

Dejounte
07-04-2022, 04:52 PM
CfhQAUuF6WX

I don’t think people realize how technical Harden’s game is. Combine that with his elite anticipation skills and it’s no wonder why he’s a special player.

Primo needs to continue honing the technical aspects of the game. If he does, then maybe he can be at least 25% the player Harden is.

south side spur
07-04-2022, 05:07 PM
I wouldn't trust his handles at this point yet.

I realize he’s just a rookie but Wesley has the most 2 way talent of this Spurs draft class. These 3 point guard prospects are much more advanced than Cory Joseph was during the ‘13 Finals. The few minutes that Cory played those Finals I think that might’ve been the most fear I’ve ever felt in my life. It was sickening. Also these 3 have better handles than Murray his first 2 seasons as well don’t forget how bad his handles were.

Honestly bro, I already said this in another thread, but if Poeltl and Richardson don’t get traded the Spurs will have a virtually identical record. I love Murray but he wasn’t a traditional point guard either so we’re not losing any offensive efficiency. These kids will run the offense and there won’t be much drop off. Only difference will be more scoring opportunities for KJ and Vassell.

I know I’m in the minority here, but I would have absolutely no issue with Tre Jones starting the whole season. He’s already had experience stepping in for Murray and he’ll be that much more effective this season. Definitely his 3 point attempts will increase. He won’t have to carry the load anyways but just saying.

I had to stomach Avery Johnson as a point guard for several years so I’m not concerned whatsoever. The collective talent at point or lead guard might be the most the Spurs have had at that position. Late Lottery, Late 1st round, Early 2nd round. Point guard will be the least of this teams issues.

JeffDuncan
07-04-2022, 05:23 PM

Brian Wright made a statement to the media on the night Primo was drafted that the Spurs saw Primo as being able to play point guard, at least sometimes.

The exact quote:

“We saw him playing some point guard at times, …”

Source:

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/08/30/how-the-nba-draft-combine-turned-joshua-primo-into-a-lottery-pick/

The Spurs saw a possibility of Primo at point guard before they drafted him, and they haven’t changed their minds.

TD 21
07-04-2022, 05:50 PM
Yes, I understand where Harden stands and I’m not delusional about Primo’s level as a player. I’m merely referencing his archetype and what his current tools are. It’s proven he has some ability to make passes others cannot. He’s big. He’s not exceptionally quick. He’s strong. There’s plenty there to draw comparisons to if you’re looking at base level only. Yes, he’s not proven that he can own that role against NBA players and I’m not disputing that.

I know, but it's all theoretical at this point and it's more than likely asking too much of him to start and primarily play PG in a lineup with no other creators,

Mr. Body
07-04-2022, 05:56 PM
Brian Wright made a statement to the media on the night Primo was drafted that the Spurs saw Primo as being able to play point guard, at least sometimes.

The exact quote:

“We saw him playing some point guard at times, …”

Source:

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/08/30/how-the-nba-draft-combine-turned-joshua-primo-into-a-lottery-pick/

The Spurs saw a possibility of Primo at point guard before they drafted him, and they haven’t changed their minds.

I definitely think Primo is starting at PG. Absolutely. And Tre Jones is backup.

Sochan will wind up handling the ball - he can just rebound and go - and then I figure Richardson will handle some. Wesley will be in Austin mostly.

That's it. They'll probably sign some cheapo-stinko guard from Summer Leagues for third string.

John B
07-04-2022, 08:35 PM
I definitely think Primo is starting at PG. Absolutely. And Tre Jones is backup.

Sochan will wind up handling the ball - he can just rebound and go - and then I figure Richardson will handle some. Wesley will be in Austin mostly.

That's it. They'll probably sign some cheapo-stinko guard from Summer Leagues for third string.

J-Rich can also facilitate IF he’s not moved

TeKu
07-04-2022, 08:57 PM

Agreed, PG is a key position to young player development. Think Chris Paul's impact with the young Suns and even Rubio's value to Cleveland last season (pre-injury). A vet PG would be invaluable to all our youth development (incl Primo) without hurting wins/pick much. Just not Westbrook! Maybe Conley (plus pick) if Utah needs to dump salary.

spurraider21
07-04-2022, 08:59 PM
Supposedly it’s Primo but i don’t see it. At least not yet.

Trey surprised me last year when given opportunities. Still not a threat to shoot from outside but does everything else at a fairly high level. He’s a better CoJo

rascal
07-04-2022, 09:10 PM
CfhQAUuF6WX

I don’t think people realize how technical Harden’s game is. Combine that with his elite anticipation skills and it’s no wonder why he’s a special player.

Primo needs to continue honing the technical aspects of the game. If he does, then maybe he can be at least 25% the player Harden is.

Primo has no burst.

rascal
07-04-2022, 09:19 PM
Kemba Walker

Mr. Body
07-04-2022, 09:30 PM
Primo has no burst.

LOL, he's practicing change of pace and slow down here.

Drom John
07-04-2022, 09:32 PM
I think the starter will depend on the defensive abilities of the opposing guards.
Jones will start against the better defenders.
Primo will start against the worst defenders.
25 minutes each.

rascal
07-04-2022, 09:32 PM
LOL, he's practicing change of pace and slow down here.

His whole game is change of pace.

toki9
07-04-2022, 09:36 PM
Primo has no burst.

I don’t think he’s working on “burst” in that video. From the caption, it seems like he’s working on rapid deceleration a La Harden. Here’s an interesting article on Harden’s ability to decelerate quickly: https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/23/sports-scientist-dissects-james-hardens-elite-deceleration-ability/

Dejounte
07-04-2022, 09:37 PM
Primo has no burst.

You must think Harden, Doncic, Chris Paul all suck.

rascal
07-04-2022, 09:41 PM
You must think Harden, Doncic, Chris Paul all suck.

Harden is better all around than Primo.

Dejounte
07-04-2022, 09:45 PM

No shit, man. I’m saying that you’re too fixated on a player having burst and athleticism when there are plenty of stars that don’t rely on it.

rascal
07-04-2022, 09:55 PM
No shit, man. I’m saying that you’re too fixated on a player having burst and athleticism when there are plenty of stars that don’t rely on it.

Harden has more burst and athleticisn going to the basket and also shoots the ball better than Primo.

While Primo is still working on his overall game.

rascal
07-04-2022, 09:58 PM

Harden breaks down his man enough to take it strong to the basket. That's why he can drop 30 points on you.

Primo struggles in everything.

Mr. Body
07-04-2022, 10:00 PM

Cool, now you admit Primo is better than Chris Paul and Doncic.

scott
07-04-2022, 10:35 PM

Whoa slow down with the fire takes

MI21
07-04-2022, 10:37 PM
Man, having rascal back in great entertainment :bobo

GAustex
07-04-2022, 10:52 PM
His whole game is change of pace.
Slow and slower
with turnovers mixed in

No really I root for the uni and the kid seems nice and all-hope he turns out great

rascal
07-04-2022, 10:58 PM
Man, having rascal back in great entertainment :bobo

You still in Australia?

MI21
07-04-2022, 11:06 PM
You still in Australia?

Yes sir, not a lot of reasons to leave :)

rascal
07-04-2022, 11:23 PM
Who was it who said Josh Despacio?

wildbill2u
07-06-2022, 11:51 AM
I'm beginning to see Primo as Slo Mo 2.0, or perhaps DDR 2.0--hopefully with a better perimeter shot. There are SG who depend on a burst of speed to score, but that presupposes that their "go to" shot is off a drive, or a drive and pull-up. Tony Parker was that kinda shooter as a guard. But he had no 3pt. shot. Didn't need it to score. If Primo is going to be that type of scorer, then building strength to absorb the bumps and shoves while driving down low is a good development. Malaki looks to be a scorer who uses guile and angles to get down into his preferred shooting territory rather than using sheer speed to get into scoring position. DDR 2?

On the other hand, Primo has shown flashes of good 3 pt. range, and am I wrong, or was he more likely to launch it at the beginning of the season. Maybe he lost some confidence when his average wasn't that impressive or maybe the coaches asked him to dial back his aggressiveness on that shot. I thought he was supposed to be a 3&D when we drafted him. But We'd all like to see him competent at all three tiers of shots if he is going to be one of our go-to scorers at whatever position.

It's really impossible to equate one player's style with another player. They can remind you of someone that is similar, but each player has his own quirks and style developed over time in how to get free for a shot.

KingKev
07-06-2022, 12:21 PM
^ Haha wow the Canadian version of DDR. Atleast Derozan is from South Central.

Mr. Body
07-06-2022, 12:24 PM
DerMar DeRozan
Kyle Anderson
Josh Primo

= Who are three players whose play styles are completely different from one another?

Atl Spur
07-06-2022, 03:26 PM
Rascal …………really? It can’t be that hard to grasp sir:(

Atl Spur
07-06-2022, 03:29 PM
Slow and slower
with turnovers mixed in

No really I root for the uni and the kid seems nice and all-hope he turns out great

So……you just are looking for attention? Got it:) I figured that was your angle.

The Truth #6
07-06-2022, 05:20 PM
Yeah, Primo is starting I imagine. He was already starting to end the year. Who else starts might be more of the mystery.

slick'81
07-06-2022, 06:14 PM
Yeah, Primo is starting I imagine. He was already starting to end the year. Who else starts might be more of the mystery.

assuming poodle stays it looks like-primo,vassell,kj&poodle are the locks

GAustex
07-06-2022, 08:32 PM
So……you just are looking for attention? Got it:) I figured that was your angle.
Miss Cleo u seer why do you miss so badly on my motivation
It is right there in front of your face like your magic 8 ball

The Truth #6
07-06-2022, 08:36 PM
assuming poodle stays it looks like-primo,vassell,kj&poodle are the locks

Yeah, I can see that. Maybe J Rich or Sochan the other starter? Hard to predict between now and then. Either Yak or J Rich could be traded. How much will Sochan show early on. Lots of possibilities. Tre Jones could somehow start next to Primo. Hard to say with Pop.

rascal
07-07-2022, 10:45 AM
Yeah, I can see that. Maybe J Rich or Sochan the other starter? Hard to predict between now and then. Either Yak or J Rich could be traded. How much will Sochan show early on. Lots of possibilities. Tre Jones could somehow start next to Primo. Hard to say with Pop.

Jones will stat at pg unless they sign a vet pg.

SpursRussia
07-07-2022, 11:11 AM
We need a TJ Ford type vet to keep a respectable level of play and to provide mentorship to the young guys

John B
07-07-2022, 12:18 PM
We need a TJ Ford type vet to keep a respectable level of play and to provide mentorship to the young guys

Enter Westbrick :lol

TD 21
07-07-2022, 04:38 PM
Conley, Kessler, 1st and 2nd for Poeltl, Richardson, Langford?

objective
07-07-2022, 04:56 PM
There's some guys on tax teams that might get salary dumped who can be mentors and back ups.

Ish Smith in Denver, George Hill in Milwaukee

TD 21
07-07-2022, 05:08 PM
^ Smith is an ideal third PG for them and Budenholzer loves Hill. Granted, he appeared to fall off a cliff last season, they re-signed a similar, younger type in Carter and they still haven't addressed their need of another shot creator/scorer, so maybe they'd salary dump him and pursue Schroder/Walker.

Dejounte
07-07-2022, 08:37 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DistantSpecificBlacknorwegianelkhound-size_restricted.gif

preview of the starting lineup?

wesley with the ball at the top of the key makes him look like the pg, imo

If we go according to this clip:

Pg Wesley
Sg Branham
Sf Primo
Pf Woodard
C Barlow

Dejounte
07-07-2022, 08:43 PM
^and at the end of the play, Woodard inbounds it to Wesley to run it full court

offset formation
07-07-2022, 09:51 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DistantSpecificBlacknorwegianelkhound-size_restricted.gif

preview of the starting lineup?

wesley with the ball at the top of the key makes him look like the pg, imo

If we go according to this clip:

Pg Wesley
Sg Branham
Sf Primo
Pf Woodard
C Barlow

The most sensical lineup Ive seen the Spurs trot out in years. Mitch Johnson for coach.

John B
07-08-2022, 01:38 AM
I'm expecting Primo to be a man among boys tomorrow, regardless of age. Let's see :lol.

Dejounte
07-08-2022, 07:58 PM
https://twitter.com/n_magaro/status/1545545575692525568

Told y’all

Seventyniner
07-08-2022, 08:02 PM
Primo playing next to Jones or Wesley as a co-primary ball handler makes sense to me. Him playing alongside two wings and two bigs (or three wings and one big) as the primary ball handler doesn't seem like it would work.

AFBlue
07-08-2022, 08:27 PM
https://twitter.com/n_magaro/status/1545545575692525568

Told y’all

Sure did look for his shot early, but I'd rather him be more aggressive than not. Was the alpha out there today for sure.

Mr. Body
07-10-2022, 09:11 PM
They need to pick up some vet or the team will begin sets with 12 seconds off the clock just getting down the court. Summer league defenders don't respect Primo at all, picking him up at the halfcourt because he has no burst and when he does get around somebody, he's liable to throw a bad pass.

Righ tnow the alternatives are Wesley, Richardson, and Sochan.

Mr. Body
07-10-2022, 09:15 PM
I forgot Tre Jones, who I have slotted as a bench PG, but he may need to start.

rascal
07-10-2022, 09:17 PM
I forgot Tre Jones, who I have slotted as a bench PG, but he may need to start.

Jones will be the starter unless the spurs add a veteran pg.

Ariel
07-10-2022, 09:20 PM
Tre starts. Give Wesley the keys to run the team in Austin, have him there for a while making as many mistakes as he needs to, then bring him off the bench. By the end of the season he'll be playing a large chunk of minutes, if not starting.

J_Paco
07-10-2022, 09:24 PM
Jones will be the starter unless the spurs add a veteran pg.

Primo is nowhere near ready to be a starter let alone at PG. He'd be a traffic cone on defense and slower than Kyle Anderson on offense.

Guys were beating him to his spot and forcing into traffic/left all game.

Ariel
07-10-2022, 09:30 PM
Primo is nowhere near ready to be a starter let alone at PG. He'd be a traffic cone on defense and slower than Kyle Anderson on offense.

Guys were beating him to his spot and forcing into traffic/left all game.
Plus it'll eat into his confidence. He's getting exposed right now. We're setting him up to fail by playing him in a way where he has no chance to succeed.