PDA

View Full Version : Mass shooters on CNN

SpursforSix
07-05-2022, 12:21 PM
Since I can't use the search function, I'm having to start a new thread.
From what I can see, there's still not a single picture of Michael Lewis on CNN. I found Robert Crimo pretty quickly. As with any other mass shooter.
All I want is someone to explain how that's possible. Or better yet, just give me a CNN link with a pic of Lewis. Thread

Winehole23
07-05-2022, 12:30 PM
From a quick Google images search, plenty of newspapers ran the pic -- no media blackout.

Can't speak for CNN's editorial decisions, what's your theory on that?

ChumpDumper
07-05-2022, 12:31 PM
What's your grievance here?

Getting your news from CNN?

Trill Clinton
07-05-2022, 12:34 PM
CNN has posted several photos of black shooters. Micah Johnson comes to mind off the top of my head. Have yall tried reaching out to CNN about them not posting Michael Louis' photo?

SpursforSix
07-05-2022, 12:37 PM
Just looking for an explanation. The story was front page news but there's no photo of Lewis on CNN. Thread mentioned it and I thought he was full of shit. Just to check, I found pics of all multiple shooters going back a couple of years (except for Lewis). You don't think it's odd that there's not a single pic of Michael Lewis on CNN? I mean...that's pretty standard reporting. Here's the shooter, here's the pic.

Winehole23
07-05-2022, 12:38 PM
What's your grievance here?

Getting your news from CNN?I'd bitch too if I had no other source of information, particularly for uber important details like mugshots.

SpursforSix
07-05-2022, 12:42 PM
CNN has posted several photos of black shooters. Micah Johnson comes to mind off the top of my head. Have yall tried reaching out to CNN about them not posting Michael Louis' photo?

Look...I will certainly acknowledge that most mass shooters are fucked up white dudes. But as I said, why not put up a pic of Lewis. It was breaking news until it wasn't.
Yeah...I did reach out to CNN but they traced my IP to my SpursTalk account and that was the end of that.

SpursforSix
07-05-2022, 12:45 PM
I'd bitch too if I had no other source of information, particularly for uber important details like mugshots.

I always considered you objective. Do you really not think it's weird that a breaking news story about a shooter never even shows the pic once they figure it out? I bet you can't find another example. If you're objective, you might take a look. If you're not, you'll say some shit like, "it's not my job". But I did go back and look.

SpursforSix
07-05-2022, 12:47 PM
I mean..I just found a pic of Kate Hudson's brother because he bitched about her pic on Instagram.
https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/220705091550-kate-oliver-hudson-exlarge-169.jpg

Thread
07-05-2022, 12:47 PM
Yep, CNN was not going to post that picturePERIOD

ChumpDumper
07-05-2022, 12:52 PM
I don't think a white shooter would have been treated much differently given the circumstances of the shooting. The motive of the shooter was known pretty quickly, it was not terribly sensational and not covered like yesterday's shooting.

SpursforSix
07-05-2022, 01:00 PM
I don't think a white shooter would have been treated much differently given the circumstances of the shooting. The motive of the shooter was known pretty quickly, it was not terribly sensational and not covered like yesterday's shooting.

When it happened, it was on the front page of all the big outlets. Even if it's not as eventually sensational, it always has a closing story with a pic of the shooter. I know this because I went back and checked. I agree that yesterday's was way worse because it's hard to imagine the shooter having a realistic blame to put on the victims. Whereas to some degree (very minute), we can sympathize with Lewis for getting fucked up by the doctors. I get all of that. I feel like I'm pretty damn objective these days. But it's hard to explain why there's not a single pic of Lewis on CNN after they had it as "Breaking news, active shooter".

Winehole23
07-05-2022, 01:12 PM
I always considered you objective. Do you really not think it's weird that a breaking news story about a shooter never even shows the pic once they figure it out? I bet you can't find another example. If you're objective, you might take a look. If you're not, you'll say some shit like, "it's not my job". But I did go back and look.What does a mugshot add to the story? Not sure the editorial omission of information that is already publicly available makes much of a difference. If you think otherwise I'm all ears.

SpursforSix
07-05-2022, 01:16 PM
What does a mugshot add to the story? Not sure the editorial omission of information that is already publicly available makes much of a difference. If you think otherwise I'm all ears.

It doesn't add anything imo. But it's always included. Or at least some pic of the perp. It's part of the story. Shooter identified, here's a pic. And we're talking about CNN who put it as their main headline when it was happening. One of the biggest news providers in the world. Again, they feel the need to post a pic of Kate Hudson's brother but can't bother to post a pic of a dude that bought an AR-15 the same day as when went to shoot three people?

Seriously, you don't think it's odd at all?

Blake
07-05-2022, 01:19 PM
I don't get it. What's your theory of why they might not put the shooter picture up?

clambake
07-05-2022, 01:20 PM
It doesn't add anything imo. But it's always included. Or at least some pic of the perp. It's part of the story. Shooter identified, here's a pic. And we're talking about CNN who put it as their main headline when it was happening. One of the biggest news providers in the world. Again, they feel the need to post a pic of Kate Hudson's brother but can't bother to post a pic of a dude that bought an AR-15 the same day as when went to shoot three people?

Seriously, you don't think it's odd at all?

I think you should drop it. This goes much deeper than you can imagine. You don’t need that kind of heat that comes with that knowledge.

Soros

ChumpDumper
07-05-2022, 01:22 PM
When it happened, it was on the front page of all the big outlets. Even if it's not as eventually sensational, it always has a closing story with a pic of the shooter. I know this because I went back and checked. I agree that yesterday's was way worse because it's hard to imagine the shooter having a realistic blame to put on the victims. Whereas to some degree (very minute), we can sympathize with Lewis for getting fucked up by the doctors. I get all of that. I feel like I'm pretty damn objective these days. But it's hard to explain why there's not a single pic of Lewis on CNN after they had it as "Breaking news, active shooter".

They're mainly a TV station. That's where the breaking news is.

Winehole23
07-05-2022, 01:26 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOBac4fWUAMIAk5?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOBac4gWQAYOdRx?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EpfBvOKXcAMXxDE?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EpfBvOKXYAIEc05?format=jpg&name=small

SpursforSix
07-05-2022, 01:27 PM
I don't get it. What's your theory of why they might not put the shooter picture up?

You know my theory even though I hate to get there. Why would they not post a pic of a mass shooter? When it was the top headline of the day? I've already done the work to even ask the question.
Honestly, I'd be thrilled if either 1) someone found a pic of Lewis on CNN or 2) found a story on CNN with a mass shooter that didn't have a pic of the shooter. More so if the shooter used an AR-15. I will be happy to apologize and say,
"my bad". Can anyone possibly say it was an oversight by CNN?

SpursforSix
07-05-2022, 01:28 PM
They're mainly a TV station. That's where the breaking news is.

My bad. I was talking about their website. I sure don't have access to CNN TV while I'm, "working".

ChumpDumper
07-05-2022, 01:31 PM
My bad. I was talking about their website. I sure don't have access to CNN TV while I'm, "working".

Exactly. They don't archive all their coverage so who knows when/if they showed the guy's face?

Winehole23
07-05-2022, 01:32 PM

Seriously, you don't think it's odd at all?not really. what's strange about it?

if, for example, it were motivated by wanting to deny the perp fame and notoriety it would be seamlessly reasonable. not saying that's the case here, just saying there might be reasons other than anti-white bias, which you've been tiptoeing around.

SpursforSix
07-05-2022, 01:34 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOBac4fWUAMIAk5?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOBac4gWQAYOdRx?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EpfBvOKXcAMXxDE?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EpfBvOKXYAIEc05?format=jpg&name=small

Winehole23
07-05-2022, 01:40 PM
Framing can be inflammatory, but I still don't think the pictures add very much to the fact pattern. What's getting massaged is the biased reader -- ooga booga sells and the exonerative mood is reserved for crimes committed by law enforcement officers.

SpursforSix
07-05-2022, 01:41 PM
not really. what's strange about it?

if, for example, it were motivated by wanting to deny the perp fame and notoriety it would be seamlessly reasonable. not saying that's the case here, just saying there might be reasons other than anti-white bias, which you've been tiptoeing around.

I'm just posing the question, "why". I don't know the answer to it being a good thing or bad to add some fame to the shooters. I honestly don't think that's what most of them are going for anyway. Again, how does one of the biggest providers of news in the world not provide a pic of a shooter that on the previous day was their number one story? Yeah...at this point, we all know what I think. And I hate to think it. All I'm asking is that we call a spade a spade regardless of which side of the aisle it lands on. And to keep beating a dead horse, find something that at least makes me say, "oh yeah...there's another example". We're taking about CNN for god's sake. So one day, it's "Breaking News, Active Shooter", and the next day, they name him without a pic? I'm sure you won't find another example. Especially when we're finally talking about gun violence and maybe people don't need AR-15s.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2022, 01:47 PM
This is the conversation you want to have after yesterday.

SpursforSix
07-05-2022, 01:48 PM
Exactly. They don't archive all their coverage so who knows when/if they showed the guy's face?

I don't know about that and what that even means. I know Thread made the comment a day or two after the incident. So it should have been available.
Is this really what you're going with? I can still find a James Holmes CNN article from 2015. Or I can find a review or Lord of the Rings from 2003.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2022, 01:56 PM
I don't know about that and what that even means. I know Thread made the comment a day or two after the incident. So it should have been available.He doesn't read.

He watches TV.

The picture was on TV.

By the time it got to writing a story for the website, the national sizzle was already gone.

I guess you can stop getting your mass shooter photos from CNN in protest.

SpursforSix
07-05-2022, 02:00 PM
He doesn't read.

He watches TV.

The picture was on TV.

By the time it got to writing a story for the website, the national sizzle was already gone.

I guess you can stop getting your mass shooter photos from CNN in protest.

Most of Thread's posts are shit from the internet. If you want to be as intellectually dishonest as the far right is, then fine.
I'm telling you, I can find a pic of mass shooters going back a couple of years. One of the biggest news sources in the world puts the Tulsa shooting as their headline (on their website). They get the shooter and report on it but
no pic. Is it just an oversight? And you want to make excuses that CNN is "mostly TV" or they don't archive their shit?

Winehole23
07-05-2022, 02:01 PM
I'm just posing the question, "why". I don't know the answer to it being a good thing or bad to add some fame to the shooters. I honestly don't think that's what most of them are going for anyway. Again, how does one of the biggest providers of news in the world not provide a pic of a shooter that on the previous day was their number one story? Yeah...at this point, we all know what I think. And I hate to think it. All I'm asking is that we call a spade a spade regardless of which side of the aisle it lands on. And to keep beating a dead horse, find something that at least makes me say, "oh yeah...there's another example". We're taking about CNN for god's sake. So one day, it's "Breaking News, Active Shooter", and the next day, they name him without a pic? I'm sure you won't find another example. Especially when we're finally talking about gun violence and maybe people don't need AR-15s.I don't think mugshots add very much, so the discrepancies, if any, don't amount to much. Your burning desire to find the bottom of an approximately meaningless, made-up-in-your-own-head controversy is what puzzles me most, tbh, especially when there's a ready-made conclusion dry right there on the tip of your tongue.

Is your takeaway from 30 people getting shot at a parade yesterday really that CNN is doing inflammatory anti-white racism by posting pics of the perp?

ChumpDumper
07-05-2022, 02:05 PM
Most of Thread's posts are shit from the internet. If you want to be as intellectually dishonest as the far right is, then fine.
I'm telling you, I can find a pic of mass shooters going back a couple of years. One of the biggest news sources in the world puts the Tulsa shooting as their headline (on their website). They get the shooter and report on it but
no pic. Is it just an oversight? And you want to make excuses that CNN is "mostly TV" or they don't archive their shit?I said what I said:

If you want to flesh out your conspiracy theory, go right ahead and don't be circumspect about it. As clearly demonstrated, it's not difficult to find a piece of information one organization leaves out elsewhere.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2022, 02:12 PM
Only did a google image search, but there wasn't a picture of Louis showing up for Fox News either.

SpursforSix
07-05-2022, 02:20 PM
I don't think mugshots add very much, so the discrepancies, if any, don't amount to much. Your burning desire to find the bottom of an approximately meaningless, made-up-in-your-own-head controversy is what puzzles me most, tbh, especially when there's a ready-made conclusion dry right there on the tip of your tongue.

Is your takeaway from 30 people getting shot at a parade yesterday really that CNN is doing inflammatory anti-white racism by posting pics of the perp?

The discrepancies? So is it just an oversight by CNN? Yeah...I guess boiled down, my current opinion is that they intentionally didn't post a pic of a black shooter who bought an AR-15 before he went and mowed people down.
Am I racist? I don't think so. I just want shit to be called out for what it is. If it is actually something. I did the research before posting. Again, if someone can find examples that refute my position, I would be happy (and relieved) to see them.

And no...I'm not comparing Tulsa to yesterday. Or Las Vegas. Or Uvalde. White people do far crazier shit than blacks with AR-15s. You can ban those for all I care. It's just really fucking curious to me why there's no pic of Lewis anywhere on CNN when I can find all the pics of previous mass shooters for the last couple of years.

As a side note, I checked YouTube for CNN videos about the Tulsa shooting. There were several. None included a pic of Lewis. Just give me one and I'll maybe acknowledge that I might be slightly racist.

SpursforSix
07-05-2022, 02:28 PM
Only did a google image search, but there wasn't a picture of Louis showing up for Fox News either.

All right. We're getting somewhere.

SpursforSix
07-05-2022, 02:33 PM

found him
https://a57.foxnews.com/static.foxnews.com/foxnews.com/content/uploads/2022/06/640/320/Dr.-Preston-Phillips-.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Winehole23
07-05-2022, 03:15 PM
The discrepancies? So is it just an oversight by CNN? Yeah...I guess boiled down, my current opinion is that they intentionally didn't post a pic of a black shooter who bought an AR-15 before he went and mowed people down.
Am I racist? I don't think so. I just want shit to be called out for what it is. If it is actually something. I did the research before posting. Again, if someone can find examples that refute my position, I would be happy (and relieved) to see them.

And no...I'm not comparing Tulsa to yesterday. Or Las Vegas. Or Uvalde. White people do far crazier shit than blacks with AR-15s. You can ban those for all I care. It's just really fucking curious to me why there's no pic of Lewis anywhere on CNN when I can find all the pics of previous mass shooters for the last couple of years.

As a side note, I checked YouTube for CNN videos about the Tulsa shooting. There were several. None included a pic of Lewis. Just give me one and I'll maybe acknowledge that I might be slightly racist.sorry you feel victimized by CNN's coverage, really don't know what to say about that

SpursforSix
07-05-2022, 03:52 PM
sorry you feel victimized by CNN's coverage, really don't know what to say about that

Apology accepted.

Seriously though, do you not believe that CNN and Fox are biased? Just on opposite sides. If you don't believe that, then there's nothing else to say. If you acknowledge that they're biased, how do you think that's manifested? It would have to be how they present the news to a large part.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2022, 03:54 PM
found him
https://a57.foxnews.com/static.foxnews.com/foxnews.com/content/uploads/2022/06/640/320/Dr.-Preston-Phillips-.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Not him.

Do they all look alike to you?

Winehole23
07-05-2022, 03:58 PM
Apology accepted.

Seriously though, do you not believe that CNN and Fox are biased? Just on opposite sides. If you don't believe that, then there's nothing else to say. If you acknowledge that they're biased, how do you think that's manifested? It would have to be how they present the news to a large part.

Winehole23
07-05-2022, 04:01 PM
Apology accepted.

Seriously though, do you not believe that CNN and Fox are biased? Just on opposite sides. If you don't believe that, then there's nothing else to say. If you acknowledge that they're biased, how do you think that's manifested? It would have to be how they present the news to a large part.I don't think there are any objective, value-free news sources.

SpursforSix
07-05-2022, 04:15 PM
I don't think there are any objective, value-free news sources.

So I guess we are in agreement about something.

SpursforSix
07-05-2022, 04:16 PM
Not him.

Do they all look alike to you?

whoops. maybe he's one of these dudes..

https://unitedgangs.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/gangster-disciples-gd.jpeg

ChumpDumper
07-05-2022, 04:17 PM
whoops. maybe he's one of these dudes..

https://unitedgangs.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/gangster-disciples-gd.jpeg

Is this just a bit now?

Winehole23
07-05-2022, 04:22 PM
So I guess we are in agreement about something.
The purported lack of black mugshots in your cursory examination of CNN fails to impress, but even if it were sustained...

Winehole23
07-05-2022, 04:24 PM
..what would it prove?

Winehole23
07-05-2022, 04:37 PM

SpursforSix
07-05-2022, 04:41 PM
Is this just a bit now?

Honestly, I couldn't find a pic of the shooter on the main FoxNews site. Found it on some affiliates but it was actually harder than I thought. So I figured I could either 1) admit I might be wrong, 2) say that Fox is part of some bigger conspiracy, or, 3) turn it into a bit.

Winehole23
07-05-2022, 04:43 PM

monosylab1k
07-05-2022, 04:45 PM
The guy who wrote Moneyball is a mass shooter?

Spurminator
07-05-2022, 04:51 PM
Honestly, I couldn't find a pic of the shooter on the main FoxNews site. Found it on some affiliates but it was actually harder than I thought. So I figured I could either 1) admit I might be wrong, 2) say that Fox is part of some bigger conspiracy, or, 3) turn it into a bit.

It's a shooting where the motive was known and direct: The guy was mad at his doctor, so he shot up the hospital.

For better or worse, shootings like that typically don't get as much national news as the random terroristic shootings based on possible racial or political motives. The black shooter from the Dallas 20165 police shooting was certainly more prominently displayed on national media. Hell, for a while they were even showing the wrong black guy as a person of interest...

DMC
07-05-2022, 05:16 PM
not really. what's strange about it?

If things were different, they'd be different.

Profound examination.

Winehole23
07-05-2022, 05:20 PM
If things were different, they'd be different.

Profound examination.you missed the point botched your own, derp.

very concise failure

:lol

DMC
07-05-2022, 05:22 PM
you missed the point botched your own, derp.

very concise failure

:lol

Did you miss punctuation or "and" in there somewhere?

Saying "derp" isn't your "get out of looking stupid" card.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2022, 09:51 PM
:lol DenseMashmallowCranium whiffs again