PDA

View Full Version : Mourning NOT a lock to resign with the Heat if healthy?

Mark in Austin
04-18-2003, 05:47 PM
Miami Herald story (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/5650866.htm)
Posted on Thu, Apr. 17, 2003

Zo: I will play again
But future may not be in Miami
BY ISRAEL GUTIERREZ
[email protected]

JOSHUA PREZANT / HERALD FILE

DETERMINED: Heat center Alonzo Mourning, who will becaome a free agent in July, says he will play next season.

JUPITER - Alonzo Mourning is extremely confident he will return to the basketball court next season.

As for his future with the Heat, the center isn't nearly as positive.

Mourning played host to the inaugural Zo's Golf Classic at the Ritz Carlton Golf Club on Wednesday, raising money for his charities with the help of sports celebrities such as Jay Fiedler, Ozzie Smith, Cris Carter and Gary Nicklaus.

After the event, Mourning said he felt ''great'' but is still awaiting ''clearance'' from doctors to play again. Mourning, though, added that much of the decision is his to make.

''A lot of it is going to be based on how I feel, but eventually I think the doctors will possibly give me the thumbs up and pretty much put it in my hands when I'm ready to step back out there,'' Mourning said. ``They're very optimistic. I am, as well.

``I'm very confident that I will be able to step back on the court again. It's only a matter of time.''

Which court he will call home next season is still in question. Mourning's contract expires in July, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Mourning, 33, said he will give the Heat the first opportunity to sign him and doesn't want the discussions with the team to become ``a tense, negative negotiation.''

Mourning earned $20.6 million this season but will not command nearly as much in the free agent market this summer because of the uncertainty of his health.

Figuring he has only ''a couple more quality years'' left in his career, Mourning said his choice this summer likely will come down to mostly a business decision.

''My heart is in Miami,'' he said. ``I have a huge amount of respect for [coach] Pat Riley and [owner] Micky Arison, and I appreciate everything they've done for me and I hope they appreciate everything I've done for them.

``But they knew that this day was going to come. Unfortunately, under the circumstances of my health, it's come at a different light, but at the same time I think I'm a smart enough man to deal with it and just move on.''

But the Heat might be able to sign Mourning without significant financial repercussions.

Miami can exceed the salary cap to sign Mourning at any amount because he has been with the team more than two seasons. So unless a team is willing to offer Mourning more than the mid-level exception, which figures to be near $5 million, the Heat could possibly match that without putting itself in position to pay a luxury tax.

The fear, though, would be that Mourning's health does not hold up, setting up the team for a psychological letdown.

Mourning said he understands Riley's position and doesn't want to force the team's coach and president to make a risky financial decision.

''It's not really about Alonzo Mourning,'' the center said. ``It's about the Heat organization. As soon as Alonzo Mourning's career is over with, the Heat still has to go on. If [Riley is] still part of that organization, he has to make the right decisions to put people in the stands. That's what Micky's paying him to do. They've got to make the right business decisions for the organization.''

Mourning said his ties to South Florida will remain strong even if he plays elsewhere, citing his commitment to the Alonzo Mourning charities and the Overtown Youth Center.

''I have an avid commitment to the Overtown community,'' he said. ``I told those parents, when those kids had orientation over there, `Look, I'm here for you. My family's here, my ties are here, my kids are in school here. If there is a transition for me [in basketball], I'm coming back, so I will not abandon this project.'

``I will not abandon the Alonzo Mourning charities. I worked too hard to get this far.''

Nbadan
04-18-2003, 06:22 PM
For more information on the Alonzo Mourning situation try the Spurs Dominion Alonzo Mourning (http://pub97.ezboard.com/fspursdominionfrm1.showMessage?topicID=1086.topic) free-agent thread.

I would not have any problem bringing in Zo for a couple of years at the right price, and if he is deemed healthy enough to go. However, I understand the Spurs having reservations if they can go for a young talent like a Tyson Chandler, Keon Clark or Jerome Williams.

fevertrees
06-01-2011, 01:40 AM
:lobt2: