PDA

View Full Version : Dinsey World review

Trill Clinton
07-06-2022, 09:39 AM
We took our son to Magic Kingdom a couple weeks ago and I was completely underwhelmed with the park. It was my first time so i cant compare it to pre-covid but we will not be going back in quite some time. I know it's a kid theme park but you barely see any of the characters around the park.

The highlight of the park is the lack of insects. Gotta give it to them for that.

5/10

SpursforSix
07-06-2022, 11:09 AM
We took our son to Magic Kingdom a couple weeks ago and I was completely underwhelmed with the park. It was my first time so i cant compare it to pre-covid but we will not be going back in quite some time. I know it's a kid theme park but you barely see any of the characters around the park.

The highlight of the park is the lack of insects. Gotta give it to them for that.

5/10

Sure...but what was your son's rating of it?

Xevious
07-06-2022, 11:19 AM
Just Magic Kingdom? There's some cool stuff in the other parks. The biggest problem tbh is dealing with the heat and the crowds. You're much better off going during an off season if that's an option, not mid-summer. But yes they are 90% for kids. You know that going in.

Trill Clinton
07-06-2022, 12:02 PM
Sure...but what was your son's rating of it?

I'll ask him when he gets back from daycare.

Trill Clinton
07-06-2022, 12:04 PM
Just Magic Kingdom? There's some cool stuff in the other parks. The biggest problem tbh is dealing with the heat and the crowds. You're much better off going during an off season if that's an option, not mid-summer. But yes they are 90% for kids. You know that going in.

The heat was a pain. The crowds not so much since we reserved a lot of the rides in advance. We usually do Universal Studios which is waaay better but this was a big family trip with other kids so I got stuck with Disney this time. Next time we'll take him to animal kingdom then the adults will explore epcot.

SpursforSix
07-06-2022, 12:14 PM

You don't know if he enjoyed it or not? Come on. You went there for him (I'm assuming for the most part). If he enjoyed it, then your rating should have been higher. Because you would enjoy the fact that he enjoyed it.

Trill Clinton
07-06-2022, 01:03 PM
You don't know if he enjoyed it or not? Come on. You went there for him (I'm assuming for the most part). If he enjoyed it, then your rating should have been higher. Because you would enjoy the fact that he enjoyed it.

I thought you were being silly. Since you put it that way I'd bump it up to a 6/10.

Darth_Pelican
07-06-2022, 01:10 PM
Hollywood Studios is the best Disney park. But yes, Universal is better than all of the Disney parks.

baseline bum
07-06-2022, 02:03 PM
Was the coolest place ever when I was six, rock solid 10/10. Still pretty fun when I went in my teens, a good 8/10.

koriwhat
07-06-2022, 07:10 PM

90% for kids but these days it's more like 90% for arrested development adults if we're being honest.

BD24
07-06-2022, 07:13 PM
Haha Joey is right to an extent. There is all these fucking Disney adults. I took my son back in January and he had a blast. Which made it all worth it to me. MGM, Epcot, and animal kingdom were fun as an adult. The crowds are the worst thing. We even went in off-season and it was still rough

koriwhat
07-06-2022, 07:21 PM
Haha Joey is right to an extent. There is all these fucking Disney adults. I took my son back in January and he had a blast. Which made it all worth it to me. MGM, Epcot, and animal kingdom were fun as an adult. The crowds are the worst thing. We even went in off-season and it was still rough

The only reason I say that is because I was seeing all these people I knew who were childless taking multiple trips to Disneyland and Disneyworld and posting their photos on Facebook before I decided to not use FB anymore yrs ago. I mean to each their own but just look around at everything we're inundated with as adults when it comes to consumer shit; commercials with kid like jingles geared towards adults, cartoons geared towards adults, kid outfits geared towards adults, kid behavior excused, etc...

It's a crazy world we're living in these days.

koriwhat
07-06-2022, 07:23 PM
I went to Disneyland as a 6 yr old and it was fun then but I wouldn't he caught dead there unless I had a kid who wanted to go.

spurraider21
07-06-2022, 08:09 PM
ive never been to disney world, but tbh i think disneyland is a fantastic park. havent been there for about 12-13 years though. i went to disney california adventure about 9 years ago and it was kinda meh. universal studios hollywood was always fun, but i havent been there for about a decade either, so i cant comment on its current state

as far as southern california theme parks i always loved Six Flags Magic Mountain... but thats pretty different as far as target audience

when spurraider jr is old enough to care, i'd probably shoot for disneyland as the first big theme park to take him to. but if we're still living on the east coast at that point, would probably just opt for the closer disney world

baseline bum
07-06-2022, 08:49 PM
ive never been to disney world, but tbh i think disneyland is a fantastic park. havent been there for about 12-13 years though. i went to disney california adventure about 9 years ago and it was kinda meh. universal studios hollywood was always fun, but i havent been there for about a decade either, so i cant comment on its current state

as far as southern california theme parks i always loved Six Flags Magic Mountain... but thats pretty different as far as target audience

when spurraider jr is old enough to care, i'd probably shoot for disneyland as the first big theme park to take him to. but if we're still living on the east coast at that point, would probably just opt for the closer disney world

Yeah Magic Mountain is awesome. If you're ever around Ohio definitely check Cedar Point, blows every other park I have ever been to out of the water.

Xevious
07-06-2022, 11:02 PM
100% this.

mrsmaalox
07-07-2022, 11:45 PM
We took our kids to Disney World when they were too young and it was really tough. I worked really hard for any tiny bit of fun we had. That experience pretty much shaped our vacations from then on, amusement parks were not high priority. Now when the kids got around middle school age the best vacations included a stop at Cedar Point. I have close family in that area so we traveled there frequently and always had a blast. My daughter and I have been to Universal Studios a couple of times more recently for the Harry Potter experience and had a wonderful time. Never have had the desire to return to anything Disney but if I ever do it’ll be DisneyLand in LA. It was always fun when I was a kid.

FrostKing
07-08-2022, 12:30 AM
I would take a date to Disneyland in SoCal

I've gone a couple times in the last 5 or so years. It still has it's charm. I read OP and no characters around? Yah that's major blunder. Little kids running up to the Disney stars is one of the cuter parts. Other than that I remember the park being more full when I was younger. Or maybe we avoid and plan better. Rides are MUCH shorter with the new buy/pass stuff available.

I've only been to Universal Studios in California once in the late 90's and was disappointed
Six Flags is bad ass for what you are going for
Knotts Scary Farm with a date was fun too pre-Covid
Honorable mention: Del Mar Fair :lol

I went to Santa Monica Pier last year with date and was nice experience

FrostKing
07-08-2022, 12:34 AM
I went to SoCal Disneyland with my young European nieces. They were jaw drop most of the trip. Park is clean, charming and not too crowded. People are respectable.

BD24
07-08-2022, 09:49 AM
Yeah Magic Mountain is awesome. If you're ever around Ohio definitely check Cedar Point, blows every other park I have ever been to out of the water.
Co-sign cedar park. That shit is phenomenal

baseline bum
07-08-2022, 11:20 AM
We took our kids to Disney World when they were too young and it was really tough. I worked really hard for any tiny bit of fun we had. That experience pretty much shaped our vacations from then on, amusement parks were not high priority. Now when the kids got around middle school age the best vacations included a stop at Cedar Point. I have close family in that area so we traveled there frequently and always had a blast. My daughter and I have been to Universal Studios a couple of times more recently for the Harry Potter experience and had a wonderful time. Never have had the desire to return to anything Disney but if I ever do it’ll be DisneyLand in LA. It was always fun when I was a kid.

If you liked Cedar Point then Magic Mountain is 100% the place to go if you're looking for an amusement park in the LA area.

SpursforSix
07-08-2022, 11:37 AM
I still don't understand how "Fast Passes" work. I know it's an extra expense but they all still seem relatively cheap given that you can ride more rides and you've already committed to spending a shit ton of money at any of these places. I'm shocked that there isn't so much demand where the price is crazy. But for an extra $20-$30 bucks, I'm always up for that.

baseline bum
07-08-2022, 11:45 AM
I still don't understand how "Fast Passes" work. I know it's an extra expense but they all still seem relatively cheap given that you can ride more rides and you've already committed to spending a shit ton of money at any of these places. I'm shocked that there isn't so much demand where the price is crazy. But for an extra $20-$30 bucks, I'm always up for that.

Bend over, I'll show you fast pass.

SpursforSix
07-08-2022, 11:57 AM
Bend over, I'll show you fast pass.

Worst use of a fast pass ever.

spurraider21
07-08-2022, 03:08 PM
If you liked Cedar Point then Magic Mountain is 100% the place to go if you're looking for an amusement park in the LA area.
dont know when i'd ever be in or around ohio to make plans for a cedar point trip, but that definitely sounds like my cup of tea. not sure its best for little kids though. when i was young i was pretty intimidated by magic mountain. sure they had the kids Bugs Bunny world, but that was fairly small. and you do have the generic log ride. colossus was always basically a training wheels roller coaster. havent been there for years though so they do probably have some new stuff or rides that have been replaced (just saw colossus was completely redone)

best rides i can recall were X2 (previously X), Goliath, Deja Vu, Tatsu.

mid tier was batman, riddlers revenge, scream

could be forgetting a few. very fond memories of magic mountain, would love to go back when i'm back in LA

spurraider21
07-08-2022, 03:11 PM
also SeaWorld in San Diego is an underrated spot. of course, killer whales have become a controversial attraction. park would still be quite great without them

baseline bum
07-08-2022, 03:14 PM
dont know when i'd ever be in or around ohio to make plans for a cedar point trip, but that definitely sounds like my cup of tea. not sure its best for little kids though. when i was young i was pretty intimidated by magic mountain. sure they had the kids Bugs Bunny world, but that was fairly small. and you do have the generic log ride. colossus was always basically a training wheels roller coaster. havent been there for years though so they do probably have some new stuff or rides that have been replaced (just saw colossus was completely redone)

could be forgetting a few. very fond memories of magic mountain, would love to go back when i'm back in LA

Riddler's Revenge hurt my balls riding it. X2 is freaking great when they take you up that climb backwards and then flip you over.

Xevious
07-08-2022, 04:05 PM

Are they an extra expense now? They used to be free at Disney. I haven't been since COVID, so maybe that has changed. You basically reserve your block of time for whatever attraction through the app, then get in the fast pass line at that time. So you'll wait in line maybe 15 minutes instead of 2 hours. The trick is that you can reserve three rides at the start of the day, then only one ride at a time after that. Disney has a really good app though. It gives you directions, wait times, prices, etc. It makes it super easy to plan your day out in real time.

baseline bum
07-08-2022, 07:57 PM
Are they an extra expense now? They used to be free at Disney. I haven't been since COVID, so maybe that has changed. You basically reserve your block of time for whatever attraction through the app, then get in the fast pass line at that time. So you'll wait in line maybe 15 minutes instead of 2 hours. The trick is that you can reserve three rides at the start of the day, then only one ride at a time after that. Disney has a really good app though. It gives you directions, wait times, prices, etc. It makes it super easy to plan your day out in real time.

Can you still reserve old people on scooters? My family took my grandmother with us and rented her a scooter and we never waited in line for anything but the shitter.

Xevious
07-08-2022, 10:44 PM
Can you still reserve old people on scooters? My family took my grandmother with us and rented her a scooter and we never waited in line for anything but the shitter.
Don't know about reserving, but they may just let you on. We did the same at Six Flags with my grandmother in a wheelchair many years ago. They just allowed our entire group to go onto each ride through the exit, bypassing any lines.

DMC
07-09-2022, 12:23 AM
1500 on beers around the world for 4 of us.. lol

FrostKing
07-09-2022, 12:30 AM
also SeaWorld in San Diego is an underrated spot. of course, killer whales have become a controversial attraction. park would still be quite great without them
SeaWorld has a few decent thrill rides now too. I purchased a pass last Fall and have been planning to take my folks soon.

FrostKing
07-09-2022, 12:36 AM
I think the best/most popular rides aren't Fast Pass eligible.

But quick research reveals FastPass no longer exists. Replaced by a couple other options. With different rules like you can only use for 1 ride per 90 minutes.

Xevious
07-09-2022, 03:30 PM

But quick research reveals FastPass no longer exists. Replaced by a couple other options. With different rules like you can only use for 1 ride per 90 minutes.
I figured something must've changed since the pandemic.

DJR210
07-18-2022, 04:25 PM
Disney World sucks fat dick.. legit could have had more fun flushing 600 bucks.

All the rides were 2 hours+ on a Thursday when the locals were still in school. The best ride we were able to get on was the piece of shit animatronic Little Mermaid ride, which also sucks. The highlight of my trip there was walking out of that mf..

.. and to top it off I caught the COVID there before we knew it was stateside

FrostKing
07-21-2022, 09:20 PM
https://youtu.be/Koz30oRGwKQ

Imagine cheap shotting people at such a place. Should have heavy charges levied for instigating with assault.

DMC
07-22-2022, 12:31 AM
Always the same crowd brawling in just about every instance.

:lol brawling on flights, cruise ships and Disney.
:lol Eternally triggered.
:lol Any hill is a good hill to die on.

Millennial_Messiah
07-22-2022, 09:00 AM

Daycare rots out kids' brains in the worst ways.

Indoctrination starts as soon as he comes out the womb.

Millennial_Messiah
07-22-2022, 09:01 AM

yeah, seeing them once in a lifetime or two is fine, but you get the most bang for your buck when you ride roller coasters / thrill rides and see less shows.

Millennial_Messiah
07-22-2022, 09:02 AM

what's an "off season" to you? Like March-May or Sep-Nov? Because Disney is just as busy with snowbirds in winter as it is with literally everyone including locals in summer.

Millennial_Messiah
07-22-2022, 09:03 AM

that's retarded

At least the Cedar Fair parks still have fast lane passes. Unlimited. But they're expensive for the day passes and if you get rainout you're fucked, and you can only buy the year long ($899.99) season fast lane passes up until January 15th even though the parks don't open until fucking May

Millennial_Messiah
07-22-2022, 09:06 AM
Lol 20-30 bucks. It's $120 a person per day for fast lane unlimited (one-day) passes and $109 per person if you already have an active season pass. At least at all the Cedar Fair chain parks. Not sure about Six Flags.

Millennial_Messiah
07-22-2022, 09:09 AM

Cedar Point is definitely worth it. There are plenty of kiddie rides, but for adults there are several bucket list rides at Cedar Point alone plus the triple Lake Erie view is amazing, even from slower tall rides right on the lake such as the ferris wheel and the wind seeker. You absolutely have to do Millennium Force, Steel Vengeance, the Maverick and I'd even argue the Gatekeeper.

Also hoping the Top Thrill Dragster opens back up next year. It was a very short but very thrilling hyper coaster but the park got sued when some lady got hit in the brain by a piece of metal that fell off of it last year... so they closed it this year for repairs, hope it's not permanent

The only thing that sucks ass about Cedar Point is their bags-in-line policy and other red tape, especially on rides such as Steel Vengeance. You have to put EVERYTHING in a locker

Trill Clinton
07-22-2022, 09:37 AM
white supremacists managed to racebait in a Disney thread. Wow!

Xevious
07-23-2022, 01:22 PM
what's an "off season" to you? Like March-May or Sep-Nov? Because Disney is just as busy with snowbirds in winter as it is with literally everyone including locals in summer.
Disney is always busy, yes. But the rule of thumb (if possible) is to avoid the summer break, spring break, and all major holidays. Basically if kids are supposed to be out of school, the place is miserable. Christmas for example, Disney Parks will close their gate to guests due to capacity issues.

I've been in April and September and the crowds were plenty manageable.

FrostKing
07-23-2022, 02:29 PM
I know Disney World is bigger than DisneyLand in California but 95% of the time I hear of something controversial occurring it's Florida

DJR210
07-23-2022, 08:29 PM
https://youtu.be/Koz30oRGwKQ

Imagine cheap shotting people at such a place. Should have heavy charges levied for instigating with assault.

Imagine cheap shotting somebody and not affecting them one bit lol

Millennial_Messiah
07-25-2022, 12:22 PM
Disney is always busy, yes. But the rule of thumb (if possible) is to avoid the summer break, spring break, and all major holidays. Basically if kids are supposed to be out of school, the place is miserable. Christmas for example, Disney Parks will close their gate to guests due to capacity issues.

I've been in April and September and the crowds were plenty manageable.

yep, April and September seem like good months. Probably first half of May too, but that's when the heat starts getting really oppressive. October would be a good month too but it's probably backed up even despite being in the heart of fall school semester because of all the haunted house stuff. March obviously has spring break. January-February isn't holiday season but it's the peak of snowbird season, though it still might be the best time of year in general to visit Florida

Xevious
07-25-2022, 01:26 PM
yep, April and September seem like good months. Probably first half of May too, but that's when the heat starts getting really oppressive. October would be a good month too but it's probably backed up even despite being in the heart of fall school semester because of all the haunted house stuff. March obviously has spring break. January-February isn't holiday season but it's the peak of snowbird season, though it still might be the best time of year in general to visit Florida
I went one time on Halloween week and while it was more pleasant than summertime, it was pretty busy.

Millennial_Messiah
07-31-2022, 11:51 PM
I went one time on Halloween week and while it was more pleasant than summertime, it was pretty busy.

yeah, October is a busy month despite being a peak school month, simply because of all the halloween stuff

March is spring break and the thing about spring break is... different school districts across the USA have different spring break weeks scattered throughout March. So Florida is typically flooded throughout the month with spring breakers from all 47 other CONUS states (+ DC).

January and February are obviously the most pleasant months to visit Florida. Dry season due to the peak of the high westerly wind shear and general high pressure over the area in wintertime. Crisp and cooler air. Never cold, but sunny, crisp, and not muggy. This attracts a lot of the older visitors and other people that don't have school age children, like young childless couples, singles, slackers etc.

Summer is both oppressively hot and humid as well as oppressively crowded. Avoid Florida in summer, go to Cedar Point or Kings Island or something. Visit some national parks out west. Do anything anywhere that's not in the U.S. Southeast, including of course Florida. June, July, August.

September is probably not too busy but you're still at the tail end of monsoon season and it's also a peak month of hurricane season.

First half of May is generally okay traffic wise because school isn't quite out yet but the mugginess in Florida typically comes back with a vengeance by then

First half of November before Thanksgiving week is also probably a good time to visit Florida. Hurricane season over, monsoon season over, air is cooler and crisper, more westerlies, humidity lower, more manageable conditions in Florida. Shouldn't be super busy because Halloween haunt season is also over. Come to think about it that might be the best time of year overall... the little window of November between Halloween and the weekend before Thanksgiving.