PDA

View Full Version : Russell Westbrook TO SPURS?

Pages : [1] 2 3

illusioNtEk
07-07-2022, 02:13 PM
Woj reports the Lakers number one priority is still Kyrie Irving and that the Spurs could help facilitate a 3-team deal.
San Antonio would be incentivized to take on Russell Westbrook with multiple first round picks.

Ocotillo
07-07-2022, 02:22 PM
https://media0.giphy.com/media/Mb2Vje2zChVxahhZKY/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ys5e7kestwopbcqu03qi9vbtdxwr sf95e1bheim0&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Mr. Body
07-07-2022, 02:38 PM
This has come up in other threads. The general thoughts are these:

1. Where are the FRPs coming from? Lakers only have two, many years from now, and they would have to go to Brooklyn.

2. Brooklyn and Los Angeles can just do the trade alone.

3. I doubt Brooklyn intends to revitalize Los Angeles for basically nothing or very little.

bigfan
07-07-2022, 02:38 PM
hell no.

illusioNtEk
07-07-2022, 02:51 PM
This has come up in other threads. The general thoughts are these:

1. Where are the FRPs coming from? Lakers only have two, many years from now, and they would have to go to Brooklyn.

2. Brooklyn and Los Angeles can just do the trade alone.

3. I doubt Brooklyn intends to revitalize Los Angeles for basically nothing or very little.

Thanks for that

R. DeMurre
07-07-2022, 02:53 PM
Hard to picture a notoriously frugal team that pinched pennies during the Duncan era buying Westbrook out for $47mil... I guess we'll see. You don't want to cut off your nose to spite your face, but using all of that cap space to help the Lakers potentially compete again, and to help Kyrie get his way feels really lame.

John B
07-07-2022, 02:58 PM
Helps Fakers get a shot at another ring, weak-ass Lebron tying Timmy's ring count. nope

Seventyniner
07-07-2022, 03:04 PM
imo just getting rid of Westbrook for actual useful players (not Irving) will cost the Lakers both their 2027 and 2029 picks. They might be able to get some protections on there depending on which players they get in return.

But yeah, the only way I see the Spurs getting involved is if there's a 4th team too, one that would take Irving and provide enough assets on top of what the Lakers offer to appease both the Nets and Spurs. And even then there's probably no need for the Spurs to get involved at all. WB's contract is awful but it's only for one year.

RC_Drunkford
07-07-2022, 03:09 PM
why are people even falling for this narrative? The Lakers don't have the assets for a Westbrook/Kyrie swap

KingKev
07-07-2022, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the update OP. Do you use AOL or Netscape Navigator?

Spurs9
07-07-2022, 03:30 PM
I don't see any scenerio where it makes sense. Nets and Lakers don't have the picks to send us for absorbing that. It would need to be a 4-5 team trade, what even realistically would it look like? Who would the Nets be getting?

John B
07-07-2022, 03:34 PM
I don't see any scenerio where it makes sense. Nets and Lakers don't have the picks to send us for absorbing that. It would need to be a 4-5 team trade, what even realistically would it look like? Who would the Nets be getting?

The only thing this happen is if Fakers include AD in the conversation. But that would be dumb, but knowing the Fakers, who knows?

MultiTroll
07-07-2022, 03:42 PM
Multiple as in at least 2 oozing with potential to be top 5 picks and the Spurs should give it a sniff.
Since that won't really be known until the summer passes and injuries etc get sussed out.....hell no.

Sounds like just more Laker paid off media phucks pushing propaganda.

Jeannie is already on her knees performing on multiple Nets execs and owners along with bags of under the table money.

The Laker Way.

BatManu20
07-07-2022, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the update OP. Do you use AOL or Netscape Navigator?

:lol

BatManu20
07-07-2022, 03:53 PM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/XWZi4377aAp7a/200.gif

baseline bum
07-07-2022, 03:55 PM
I'd take their two firsts unprotected for Westbrook and they can have McShitBalls too. But don't see what Brooklyn gets out of the deal then.

Thomas82
07-07-2022, 04:03 PM
why are people even falling for this narrative? The Lakers don't have the assets for a Westbrook/Kyrie swap

Not to mention the fact that Brooklyn has made it clear that they don't want Westbrook.

Degoat
07-07-2022, 04:07 PM
Lakers just don’t have the assets to get it done for both the spurs and the nets. Unless the spurs really value a player on the nets that gets sent to SA… Bring Patty home :lmao jk lol

FutureMan
07-07-2022, 04:09 PM
NETS: McDermott, Talen Horton Tucker, LAL pick swap
LAL: Irving & Langford
SAS: Westbrook (buyout) & two unprotected picks that we can pray turn into a player in our next big three

Leetonidas
07-07-2022, 04:10 PM
Did you guys hear that KD wants out?

daboom1
07-07-2022, 04:11 PM
He might make Pop retire so this could be a good thing.

Russ
07-07-2022, 04:19 PM
Hard to picture a notoriously frugal team that pinched pennies during the Duncan era buying Westbrook out for $47mil... I guess we'll see.

The Spurs basically sold a second round pick for peanuts. Taking on a mega contract in order to receive back peanuts doesn't sound very Spurs-like.

Leetonidas
07-07-2022, 04:22 PM
The Spurs basically sold a second round pick for peanuts. Taking on a mega contract in order to receive back peanuts doesn't sound very Spurs-like.

The Spurs routinely hand out retarded contracts and then have to pay for dudes that arent even here anymore (Carroll, Pau, etc) :lol they're not THAT frugal

Mr. Body
07-07-2022, 04:23 PM

Do you mean this latest draft? Sorta. They're getting the Lakers' SRP in a few years, so essentially the same pick.

Chomag
07-07-2022, 04:31 PM
Why the fuck would we help out the Lakers?

Ocotillo
07-07-2022, 04:40 PM
Chinook question I guess, could we ask the Lakers for the money to buy out Westbrook if we did do a trade?

JeffDuncan
07-07-2022, 04:58 PM
Woj reports the Lakers number one priority is still Kyrie Irving and that the Spurs could help facilitate a 3-team deal.
San Antonio would be incentivized to take on Russell Westbrook with multiple first round picks.

Multiple first round picks, yes, that’s a reasonable incentive. To get involved in the Kyrie-Westbrook soap opera, I’d say, oh, just speaking from my personal point of view, I’d want 20 frps. Others might be more hard headed, and demand 25, but I’m generous and I like round numbers, so I’d do it for 20.

Has it been mentioned recently that the Fakers were into the luxury tax last season? They had to pay the rest of the league for the privilege of fielding a team that didn’t even make the playin. No relevance here, I just like thinking about it.

lmbebo
07-07-2022, 05:02 PM
Only works if we receive draft compensation for taking him on. That said, don't expect him to suit up in a Spurs uniform ever. He would either sit or more likely get bought out.

Mr. Body
07-07-2022, 05:10 PM

I like the implication is the Lakers could possibly have any other priorities than the Nets saving their dumb, overleveraged asses. What's their priority #2, sending out more social media on Lonnie Walker?

JeffDuncan
07-07-2022, 05:20 PM
Chinook question I guess, could we ask the Lakers for the money to buy out Westbrook if we did do a trade?

It’s legal to do that kind of thing. When the Spurs took Chriss off the Warriors’ hands, the Warriors sent along enough cash to pay Chriss, and a bit more. Of course the numbers were much smaller.

K...
07-07-2022, 05:26 PM
It’s legal to do that kind of thing. When the Spurs took Chriss off the Warriors’ hands, the Warriors sent along enough cash to pay Chriss, and a bit more. Of course the numbers were much smaller.

but does it count against the cap?

KingKev
07-07-2022, 05:30 PM
Did you guys hear that KD wants out?

I’m waiting on my free 50 hours of AOL world wide web but I entered KD in Encarta 95 and they just showed me a box of Kraft Dinner.

HELP.

JeffDuncan
07-07-2022, 05:38 PM
but does it count against the cap?

What counts against the salary cap is the player’s contract. How the players are paid is a different issue. And where the team gets the money to pay the players is a different issue. But there’s no rule that I know of to prevent one team from giving another team money as a gift. That’s basically what the luxury tax is.

KingKev
07-07-2022, 05:57 PM
Is this Spurstalk or slowtalk?

exstatic
07-07-2022, 06:02 PM
They can send $5M total for all trades in a league year, July-June. Since it’s early, you could push them up against the wall and demand all of it, but I still think LA doesnot have the resources to get a deal done with two teams. They have the assets to move Russ OR the assets to get Kyrie, but not both.

JeffDuncan
07-07-2022, 06:21 PM
They can send $5M total for all trades in a league year, July-June. Since it’s early, you could push them up against the wall and demand all of it, but I still think LA doesnot have the resources to get a deal done with two teams. They have the assets to move Russ OR the assets to get Kyrie, but not both.

Oh yeah, that $5M number came up when Leonard and Green were traded to the Raps, didn’t it.

KingKev
07-07-2022, 06:36 PM
Allan Rowe vs Wade

Low intellect conversation in this thread. Perfect place for you to be stimulated. Chime in.

Biggems
07-07-2022, 06:38 PM
Make it a 4-team trade with OKC, and get a few of their 1sts, the two Lakers' 1sts, and a 1st or two from the Nets.....we can take that horrible Westbrook contract. We can trade away Richardson (as much as I really want to keep him), Poeltl, and McDermott, KBD (if still on the roster), and Langford.

try to get the picks as unprotected as possible. Let's go full on rebuild. Near the trade deadline, trade Russ to a team that is fighting for the postseason and get even more draft assets, and expiring contracts.

exstatic
07-07-2022, 06:56 PM
Make it a 4-team trade with OKC, and get a few of their 1sts, the two Lakers' 1sts, and a 1st or two from the Nets.....we can take that horrible Westbrook contract. We can trade away Richardson (as much as I really want to keep him), Poeltl, and McDermott, KBD (if still on the roster), and Langford.

try to get the picks as unprotected as possible. Let's go full on rebuild. Near the trade deadline, trade Russ to a team that is fighting for the postseason and get even more draft assets, and expiring contracts.

1. If anyone thought Russ was an asset, they wouldn’t wait until the deadline.

2. He’ll never play here, not 1 minute.

poopbox
07-07-2022, 07:10 PM
Isn't this why we are holding all this cap space open right now, to eventually absorb westbrook contract for picks

offset formation
07-07-2022, 07:50 PM

I doubt the Holts have the stomach for buying out his contract. Hes owed 47M. I bet a buyout would be in the mid 20s at minimum. I just dont see ownership doing that. But maybe you're right.

RC_Drunkford
07-07-2022, 08:46 PM
I guess people here haven't understood yet that regardless of how much cap space you got, you have to spend at least 90% of your salary cap, so you might as well take on a bad contract

Ice009
07-07-2022, 08:49 PM
I guess people here haven't understood yet that regardless of how much cap space you got, you have to spend at least 90% of your salary cap, so you might as well take on a bad contract

As long as we don't get a contract that lasts for more than one season, though, right? I am guessing the Spurs wouldn't want anything that takes away cap space from next year unless it's a really good player, and there aren't any of those around.

Do you guys think someone like Colin Sexton would be willing to sign a one year deal? Would the Spurs even go for something like that?

AFBlue
07-07-2022, 08:50 PM
Who needs Westbrook when you have Wesley tbh

RC_Drunkford
07-07-2022, 08:51 PM
As long as we don't get a contract that lasts for more than one season, though, right? I am guessing the Spurs wouldn't want anything that takes away cap space from next year unless it's a really good player, and there aren't any of those around.

Do you guys think someone like Colin Sexton would be willing to sign a one year deal? Would the Spurs even go for something like that?

a 1 year deal would be the best case, but if you get significant assets for a player on a 2 year deal I think the Spurs would bite too. Ain't like they got any expensive players under contract anyway. Since we're tanking, I wouldn't want Sexton

Allan Rowe vs Wade
07-07-2022, 10:37 PM
Allan Rowe vs Wade

Low intellect conversation in this thread. Perfect place for you to be stimulated. Chime in.

Thanks I'll consider it!

duncan2k5
07-07-2022, 10:48 PM
This isn't serious... These writers make up scenarios that they want to happen and put it out there as if it's actually in talks... I'm sure the Spurs front office read this and laughed their asses off

bluebellmaniac
07-07-2022, 11:13 PM
I doubt the Holts have the stomach for buying out his contract. Hes owed 47M. I bet a buyout would be in the mid 20s at minimum. I just dont see ownership doing that. But maybe you're right.

The later in the season you go, the less that is still owed on his contract. Waiting until the trade deadline saves you what you'd need to buy him out. Mid-20s would be a max buyout at that point.

Mr. Body
07-07-2022, 11:17 PM
Can't see the Spurs buying FRPs at $25 million a pop.

Ariel
07-07-2022, 11:30 PM
A buyout for Westbrook would be in the 40s... he'll give up only what he can make from another team... and certainly that won't be much, so...

The Truth #6
07-07-2022, 11:54 PM
The flipside to all this is who really thinks Irving is going to save the Lakers? I mean, think about it, he’s horribly sabotaged all his most recent teams, Celtics, Nets. All those fans despise him. Its like trading small cell carcinoma for pancreatic cancer. Lakers are fucked either way in my opinion.

gambit1990
07-08-2022, 12:56 AM
hopefully.

don't buy him out though.

JuneJive
07-08-2022, 04:51 AM
"Nets have no obligation to honor Durant's trade request and no requirement to deal Irving. But Brooklyn may have an opportunity with the Lakers and Spurs that may not be available for long. San Antonio will (and should) be greedy for facilitating a deal, provided all three teams can agree.

If not, the Spurs may find other teams looking to take advantage of its cap space, further limiting the Nets' flexibility in dumping Kyrie's salary."

via Pincus

Good news for the Spurs. They've got some leverage.

Texas_Ranger
07-08-2022, 05:21 AM
no thanx. he'd get us a better record than Murray, and we don't want lots of wins.

JuneJive
07-08-2022, 05:52 AM
He would not play a minute in a Spurs jersey.

The Spurs would take a hit on their salary cap for this year and for that service would be compensated with a pick or two.

mudyez
07-08-2022, 06:03 AM
"Nets have no obligation to honor Durant's trade request and no requirement to deal Irving. But Brooklyn may have an opportunity with the Lakers and Spurs that may not be available for long. San Antonio will (and should) be greedy for facilitating a deal, provided all three teams can agree.

If not, the Spurs may find other teams looking to take advantage of its cap space, further limiting the Nets' flexibility in dumping Kyrie's salary."

via Pincus

Good news for the Spurs. They've got some leverage.

There is only Indiana and even they might lock up their salary to Ayton (if only for a week or so).

KingKev
07-08-2022, 06:17 AM
There is only Indiana and even they might lock up their salary to Ayton (if only for a week or so).

Minkus is a dumbshit but good he actually acknowledged we hold the bargaining power. Our price to facilitate. Not theirs.

Our cap space becomes even more desirable to the rest of the league as free agency progresses. If Jak and J Rich are involved some combo of 2-3 lightly/unprotected FRPs AND future pick swaps or other assets.

If they want to take on McBooger we loosen our ask.

If not we look elsewhere.

baseline bum
07-08-2022, 06:46 AM
NETS: McDermott, Talen Horton Tucker, LAL pick swap
SAS: Westbrook (buyout) & two unprotected picks that we can pray turn into a player in our next big three

Crap crap and a pick swap for Durant? :lmao

Dex
07-08-2022, 07:26 AM

That would be for Irving but Nets would still be stupid to do it

dbestpro
07-08-2022, 07:33 AM
The only trade the Lakers could pull off would be Duant and Irving for Westbrook, 2 first round picks and Davis. It is going to take Davis to play at this level.

baseline bum
07-08-2022, 07:41 AM
That would be for Irving but Nets would still be stupid to do it

Ugh I need to wake up before posting lol. Still yeah, crap crap and a pick swap for Irving is pretty awful too.

Dex
07-08-2022, 07:49 AM
Ugh I need to wake up before posting lol. Still yeah, crap crap and a pick swap for Irving is pretty awful too.

lol I've been there

:bobo

LkrFan
07-08-2022, 07:58 AM
Why the fuck would we help out the Lakers?

Spurs Rebuilding

With the Spurs trading Derrick White to the Boston Celtics before the February trade deadline and now Dejounte Murray to the Atlanta Hawks, the franchise is believed to be fully committed to rebuilding.

Teams consider veterans like Jakob Poeltl, McDermott and Richardson to be available. Westbrook wouldn't appeal to the Spurs and would presumably take a buyout, presumably for at least the minimum he could get with another franchise (nearly $3 million). With McDermott out and a Westbrook buyout, the Spurs would only add an approximate net of $16.7 million—essentially to buy a future first from the Lakers.

That could expand to include both Richardson and McDermott to Los Angeles, provided L.A. included either Kendrick Nunn or Talen Horton Tucker. The Lakers would have more interest in Richardson than McDermott.

San Antonio will (and should) be greedy for facilitating a deal, provided all three teams can agree.

If not, the Spurs may find other teams looking to take advantage of its cap space, further limiting the Nets' flexibility in dumping Kyrie's salary.

There's more in the linked article. Spurs should let bygones be bygones and H.A.B.U. (Hook A Brotha Up) with helping my Lakers :lol

LkrFan
07-08-2022, 08:09 AM

The Nets won't have to worry about trading Seth Curry or Joe Harris away to the Lakers in a deal to match Westbrook's salary. The Spurs will have to send the Lakers either Josh Richardson or Doug McDermott, with McDermott still having 2-years on his contract. The Spurs are better off taking Russ' expiring contract or talking about a buyout with him if a trade is made.

Spurs can get off Jakob Poeltl and Richardson, then buyout Westbrick. This helps your tanking efforts as well. Win win. Do it RC! :lol

LkrFan
07-08-2022, 08:12 AM
Man, if the Spurs help the Lakers with this starting lineup:

Kyrie
Richardson
Bron
AD
Bryant

I'd be an honorary Spurs fan for approximately 2 calendar days. It's the least I could do to show my appreciation for the Silver and Black :lol

illusioNtEk
07-08-2022, 08:29 AM
Man, if the Spurs help the Lakers with this starting lineup:
I'd be an honorary Spurs fan for approximately 2 calendar days. It's the least I could do to show my appreciation for the Silver and Black :lol

You know deep down inside your Laker heart that the Spurs are you 2nd favorite team…. Comonnn admit it already!!

LkrFan
07-08-2022, 08:35 AM
You know deep down inside your Laker heart that the Spurs are you 2nd favorite team…. Comonnn admit it already!!

I actually like the Spurs but you guys called me a faggot within my 5th ever post downstairs. :cry I love it here :lol

MannyIsGod
07-08-2022, 08:47 AM
Can't see the Spurs buying FRPs at $25 million a pop.

Its not 25 million apiece. Its whatever the amount of the contract ends up being over the salary floor.

MannyIsGod
07-08-2022, 08:49 AM
I don't think y'all understand how desprate the Nets are to just get rid of Irving.

MannyIsGod
07-08-2022, 08:52 AM

Spurs can get off Jakob Poeltl and Richardson, then buyout Westbrick. This helps your tanking efforts as well. Win win. Do it RC! :lol

Ok but Spurs arne't trying to get off either of those two. They both have positive value on their deals so we can just deal them for assets to other teams. McDermott on the other hand.

Mr. Body
07-08-2022, 08:53 AM
I don't think y'all understand how desprate the Nets are to just get rid of Irving.

They're not desperate. They can let him sit, like he did last year.

MannyIsGod
07-08-2022, 09:09 AM
They ARE desperate. Letting him sit means he walks for nothing. Teams aren't in the habit of letting assets walk when they can get something and the Lakers are the only team stupid enough to want this guy.

Mr. Body
07-08-2022, 09:23 AM
They ARE desperate. Letting him sit means he walks for nothing. Teams aren't in the habit of letting assets walk when they can get something and the Lakers are the only team stupid enough to want this guy.

They're not going to do something stupid to help the Lakers. They can just wait.

Dex
07-08-2022, 09:26 AM

It's a roll of the dice, for sure. They could sit on him all summer or even up to the trade deadline, and see if some new team comes into the mix who is desperate for his services.

They also could wait too long and the market will completely dry up.

That said, when your only option is absorbing a worse contract in Westbrook and taking pennies on the dollar from the Lakers just because they are the only team interested...I wouldn't be in any rush.

Hard to say if those Lakers FRPs will be worth much anyways...those motherfuckers always seem to luck into crazy ways to stay competitive (provided their FO doesn't massively screw it up like last season)

LkrFan
07-08-2022, 09:26 AM
They're not desperate. They can let him sit, like he did last year.

Think so? He had to sit games in New York state because of the New York vax mandate, not because the Nets wanted him to. But notice, despite him being a bona-fide max player, the Nets don't want to fully pay him as one. That's not desperate, that's good business.

Kyrie doesn't really have a market outside of LA. That plays to the Lakers favor. Even if they hold onto him until the trade deadline, who's gonna trade assets to the Nets for even a 0.5 year rental? It's the AD situation 2.0 all over again.

The next CBA discussions will be brutal to stop players like AD and Kyrie from forcing their way to my Lakers. SMH

LkrFan
07-08-2022, 09:29 AM
It's a roll of the dice, for sure. They could sit on him all summer or even up to the trade deadline, and see if some new team comes into the mix who is desperate for his services.

They also could wait too long and the market will completely dry up.

That said, when your only option is absorbing a worse contract in Westbrook and taking pennies on the dollar from the Lakers just because they are the only team interested...I wouldn't be in any rush.

Hard to say if those Lakers FRPs will be worth much anyways...those motherfuckers always seem to luck into crazy ways to stay competitive (provided their FO doesn't massively screw it up like last season)

Dex
07-08-2022, 09:31 AM

Just because we like you doesn't mean we like the Lakers :toast

LkrFan
07-08-2022, 09:34 AM
Hard to picture a notoriously frugal team that pinched pennies during the Duncan era buying Westbrook out for $47mil... I guess we'll see. You don't want to cut off your nose to spite your face, but using all of that cap space to help the Lakers potentially compete again, and to help Kyrie get his way feels really lame.
Pop finna help Bron get his 5th Infinity Stone
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61D1I3BdyLL._AC_SX425_.jpg

KingKev
07-08-2022, 09:35 AM
Pop finna help Bron get his 5th Infinity Stone
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61D1I3BdyLL._AC_SX425_.jpg

haha I’m hearing the Raps actually sent coach Pop a ring for 2019!!

LkrFan
07-08-2022, 09:44 AM
imo just getting rid of Westbrook for actual useful players (not Irving) will cost the Lakers both their 2027 and 2029 picks. They might be able to get some protections on there depending on which players they get in return.

But yeah, the only way I see the Spurs getting involved is if there's a 4th team too, one that would take Irving and provide enough assets on top of what the Lakers offer to appease both the Nets and Spurs. And even then there's probably no need for the Spurs to get involved at all. WB's contract is awful but it's only for one year.

You farmers playing checkers again. Once upon a time a scrub had a $9 million dollar expiring contract. He was traded for MVPau.

Fast forward to 2022. There's a top 75 player (who averaged 18-7-7) on an expiring $47 million dollar contract, who can still play.

Do you farmers realize what opening up $47 million dollars of cap space next summer will do for a team who needs it? Memphis didn't trade their 0-12 in the playoffs franchise player in 2008. They traded for the 2009 cap relief Kwame's contract would give them.

I laugh when fans who hate on Russ ignore the tremendous benefits a team will reap for trading for him. It might be the largest expiring contract in NBA history.

LkrFan
07-08-2022, 09:46 AM
Just because we like you doesn't mean we like the Lakers :toast

:rollin :lmao :rollin

LkrFan
07-08-2022, 09:46 AM
haha I’m hearing the Raps actually sent coach Pop a ring for 2019!!

Mr. Body
07-08-2022, 09:47 AM
You farmers playing checkers again. Once upon a time a scrub had a $9 million dollar expiring contract. He was traded for MVPau.

Fast forward to 2022. There's a top 75 player (who averaged 18-7-7) on an expiring $47 million dollar contract, who can still play.

Do you farmers realize what opening up $47 million dollars of cap space next summer will do for a team who needs it? Memphis didn't trade their 0-12 in the playoffs franchise player in 2008. They traded for the 2009 cap relief Kwame's contract would give them.

I laugh when fans who hate on Russ ignore the tremendous benefits a team will reap for trading for him. It might be the largest expiring contract in NBA history.

We all know that Memphis trade was Jerry West being super shady.

And if Westbrook's xpiring is so valuable you should have a line out the door. Good luck!

exstatic
07-08-2022, 09:48 AM

We got a FRP for Thad Young at the deadline. We don’t need to ‘get off’ of Poeltl and JRich. Those are FRPs waiting to be monetized.

LkrFan
07-08-2022, 09:51 AM

I understand :D

LkrFan
07-08-2022, 09:54 AM
We all know that Memphis trade was Jerry West being super shady.

And if Westbrook's xpiring is so valuable you should have a line out the door. Good luck!

N:lolpe - his contract ended on July 1, 2007 ;)

Mr. Body
07-08-2022, 09:55 AM
I live in Brooklyn and follow them. The team can just wait things out. The Lakers are in an incredibly bad spot. They're wasting LeBron's last year and are signing guys like Walker and Thomas Bryant to breathe life into a dying team. They desperately need someone like Kyrie. The Nets view him as much as a sunk cost. He sat last year, he can sit until the Lakers decide to load in picks -- both of them -- and then go. Maybe if it's deadline they can do one pick, but it's doubtful. I don't see Marks feeling desperate to move Kyrie. He can just stay home.

John B
07-08-2022, 09:57 AM
We got a FRP for Thad Young at the deadline. We don’t need to ‘get off’ of Poeltl and JRich. Those are FRPs waiting to be monetized.

I like to see Poeltl play with Sochan see how that goes. And Poeltl pnr with Brahnam should also be interesting.

Dex
07-08-2022, 10:02 AM
I live in Brooklyn and follow them. The team can just wait things out. The Lakers are in an incredibly bad spot. They're wasting LeBron's last year and are signing guys like Walker and Thomas Bryant to breathe life into a dying team. They desperately need someone like Kyrie. The Nets view him as much as a sunk cost. He sat last year, he can sit until the Lakers decide to load in picks -- both of them -- and then go. Maybe if it's deadline they can do one pick, but it's doubtful. I don't see Marks feeling desperate to move Kyrie. He can just stay home.

I think it's worth noting that I'm pretty sure there is some bad blood here. Kyrie basically sunk the Nets last season, drove out James Harden, and now Durant wants out of the whole mess.

This guy literally blew up their organization, and now he comes out and demands he wants to go to the Lakers. Why would they be compelled to do him any favors?

Also, why should they want to breathe life into a struggling Lakers team?

Lakers gotta figure out a better offer than one bad contract and two shitty FRPs if they expect help here

LkrFan
07-08-2022, 10:04 AM

Maybe, but truth be told, we don't give a John Clawd Van Daaaaamn about them picks. :lol I just don't want them to overpay if no one else is tryna trade for him.

Unless you're clearly as talented as Magic, Worthy or Kobe, the Lakers don't develop lottery talent and keep them. Eff them picks :lol

LkrFan
07-08-2022, 10:20 AM
I think it's worth noting that I'm pretty sure there is some bad blood here. Kyrie basically sunk the Nets last season, drove out James Harden, and now Durant wants out of the whole mess.
Bad blood or not, he's a max player. Fully pay him like one or he walks next summer to the Lakers anyway. This the same dude who left $17 milli on the table because he didn't want the Pfizer vax. He will call their bluff.

This guy literally blew up their organization, and now he comes out and demands he wants to go to the Lakers. Why would they be compelled to do him any favors?
For the same reason Memphis did in 2008. Basketball wise, you are right. Business wise you ain't. Grizz fans were lighting their pitchforks in 2008...then 3 years later they reaped the benefits of better roster construction and cap flexibility the Lakers gave them, leading to upsetting the first seeded Sp:lolrs in 2011

Also, why should they want to breathe life into a struggling Lakers team?
Small market teams do it all the time. Suck, get a high lotto pick, mismanage assets, lose a franchise player. Take Nawlins for example. They fumbled CP0 and AD. Short of them winning a chip, do you think Zion is staying despite that rookie max he signed? I don't ;)

Lakers gotta figure out a better offer than one bad contract and two shitty FRPs if they expect help here

I'm betting the bad blood is real between Kyrie and the Nets makes Pelinka give up only 1 pick. The Nets cannot afford to bring a disgruntled player in to camp especially after trading Frauden and probably trading KD too. Their rebuild starts when they send Killa to my Lakers.

The Lakers are eerily similar to Than:lols
https://c.tenor.com/wchc4woB_2sAAAAC/i-am-inevitable-thanos.gif

LkrFan
07-08-2022, 10:30 AM
Can any of you salary cap gurus validate this:

The Spurs can't just "sit" below the salary cap. So assume the salary cap is around $120M, at minimum they need to have $108M (90%) salary commitment, if not they need to pay their current players more money until they hit that.

This was put in place to eliminate cheap owners

MannyIsGod
07-08-2022, 10:32 AM
Homie you're awfully loud for a fan of a team that with Lebron managed to fuck up their front offices moves so bad they couldn't finish ahead of a team with Dejounte Murray as their best player. Thanos? More like Grimmace.

Mr. Body
07-08-2022, 10:32 AM
Kyrie Irving has proven he is not a max player.

Good luck to the Lakers signing him next year after LeBron leaves. Flat Earth Kyrie and Anthony "Street Clothes" Davis ought to be fun to watch miss the playoffs together for the third year in a row.

LkrFan
07-08-2022, 11:01 AM
Homie you're awfully loud for a fan of a team that with Lebron managed to fuck up their front offices moves so bad they couldn't finish ahead of a team with Dejounte Murray as their best player. Thanos? More like Grimmace.

FutureMan
07-08-2022, 11:04 AM

I was thinking maybe Dunn too but it really depends on how much Irving is worth. Is it a lot or is it pretty much nothing? We won’t know for sure until we see a trade go through.

lmbebo
07-08-2022, 11:08 AM
Bad blood or not, he's a max player. Fully pay him like one or he walks next summer to the Lakers anyway. This the same dude who left $17 milli on the table because he didn't want the Pfizer vax. He will call their bluff.

For the same reason Memphis did in 2008. Basketball wise, you are right. Business wise you ain't. Grizz fans were lighting their pitchforks in 2008...then 3 years later they reaped the benefits of better roster construction and cap flexibility the Lakers gave them, leading to upsetting the first seeded Sp:lolrs in 2011

Small market teams do it all the time. Suck, get a high lotto pick, mismanage assets, lose a franchise player. Take Nawlins for example. They fumbled CP0 and AD. Short of them winning a chip, do you think Zion is staying despite that rookie max he signed? I don't ;)

I'm betting the bad blood is real between Kyrie and the Nets makes Pelinka give up only 1 pick. The Nets cannot afford to bring a disgruntled player in to camp especially after trading Frauden and probably trading KD too. Their rebuild starts when they send Killa to my Lakers.

The Lakers are eerily similar to Than:lols
https://c.tenor.com/wchc4woB_2sAAAAC/i-am-inevitable-thanos.gif

Thing is, I don't think the Nets care about forcing Kyrie to just sit on the sideline. They've watched him to do it already over multiple things. So I don't think they need to dump him just to get rid of him. Yes, they'd like to be rid of him, but don't think they are in a position where they have to make a move financially. Whats the worst it could be? Running it back like last year?

lmbebo
07-08-2022, 11:09 AM
Can any of you salary cap gurus validate this:

Thats what I've heard as well. Need to have a base spend, otherwise you just pay your current players more to make it to the base.

Wu36
07-08-2022, 11:12 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/blob:https://www.spurstalk.com/239c17b2-e2df-4115-ae1f-658c8ccfe974

spurraider21
07-08-2022, 11:22 AM
I was thinking maybe Dunn too but it really depends on how much Irving is worth. Is it a lot or is it pretty much nothing? We won’t know for sure until we see a trade go through.
Oh so crap crap crap and pick swap

Brazil
07-08-2022, 11:22 AM
:vomit:

LkrFan
07-08-2022, 11:28 AM

Yeeee Haaaw :lol

DMC
07-08-2022, 11:40 AM

This is what profit sharing did to the NBA

Wu36
07-08-2022, 11:53 AM
If the Lakers had assets I’d love to help them get a flat earther, islam convert that screws his teammates over by fasting in the playoffs due to his new beliefs, yet still keeps the name
kyrie Irving cause that’s important to him. Unfortunately everything he thinks he believes in and is fight for looks bad by his representation. Who knows what this year will bring? He’s takes off till all star break for another kyrie right to be kyrie. Which means not play basketball. Like his job isn’t basketball. It finding new things to be... I’d probly take Laker 27 and 29 unprotected to get him there.

baseline bum
07-08-2022, 11:54 AM

LOL no Irving isn't. He's a diva that no one wants to throw a max offer at. Otherwise he would have opted out of the last year of his Brooklyn deal and hit free agency.

Bad blood is going to make Brooklyn give the diva everything he wants?

Payote75
07-08-2022, 12:22 PM
I just don't get i understand but I don't get why the spurs have to throw in any assets for picks 6 yrs from now. I understand salaries need to work but I'd sooner trade assets like poetrl Richardson solo or in another package bring back other assets and sooner rather than later. I don't just want to give away stuff for 47 million dollar buy out possibility.
We are doing them a favor and while it's just cap the spurs still need to pay 47 million so to me:

A) 47 million worth a hell of a lot more than 2 picks 50 years from now from a team that will just always rebuild through free agency.

B) we should be driving the bus here they don't haveany options if they want this to happen. LeBron wants it he will pout and the jets are really kind of backed into a corner. So if you don'teet spurs terms find another team sorry.

C) lastly I don't want to help the Lakers do shit. We didn't trade that p.o.s. Kawitter to them for a better younger package then and they really squeezed us and now we going to facilitate this trade screw that. Only way I would do this is for a lot more that what is being rumored.

FutureMan
07-08-2022, 12:37 PM
Oh so crap crap crap and pick swap

And again…. We don’t know Irving’s value. Let’s see what happens.

jjspur
07-08-2022, 01:53 PM
The Fakers and the nets don't have enough assets between them for us to take on Westbrook's enormous contract. Besides the 1st round picks wouldn't be around for several years at the earliest. Let the Nets and Fakers find some other sucker team to make that trade. The spurs front office isn't the best, but they aren't the worst either.

Don't do it pop. You'll be arguing politics & basketball in an old folks home in five years and who knows where the spurs will be in 5 years. Don't do it. Just let these teams pay for their own stupid financial mistakes.

callo1
07-08-2022, 03:37 PM
NO!

They are talking a round one pick swap for compensation. That is a joke.

Two things:

1. I NEVER want to see that overrated turd in the silver and black.

2. I would NEVER want to help out the purple and piss unless we get a crazy offer that weakens them down the road.

If the Spurs FO is dumb enough to do something like this they should all be fired.

AFBlue
07-08-2022, 03:39 PM
Are we sure this is a real thing at this point? If so, where's the timvp article?

JeffDuncan
07-08-2022, 03:46 PM
I would take Westbrook in the right deal.

The Lolakers have to give us their 2 FRPs that have been mentioned, unprotected. Also any 2nd round picks they can give for, oh, the next 4 or 5 years.

The Lolakers then have to facilitate three more deals to get the Spurs FRPs. Maybe Poeltl, McDermott, and Richardson to other teams for FRPs coming to the Spurs, in deals facilitated by the Lolakers however they can manage to do it. The picks have to be only lightly protected if at all.

How they would do all that is up to them to figure out. Their problem, if they want to move WB.

The net for the Spurs, from all that, would then be 5 good FRPs and some seconds. I would take that deal, and take WB.

But it’s somehow supposed to be the Spurs facilitating for the Lolakers? Har har. Shove that crap. If they want us to take WB, they need to facilitate for us.

Mr. Body
07-08-2022, 04:01 PM
Are we sure this is a real thing at this point? If so, where's the timvp article?

No, it's not really a thing. Woj and the nat'l press are trying to 1) gin up something for favored sons the Lakers, and 2) write stuff to drive ad revenue and clicks.

Biggems
07-08-2022, 05:50 PM

how much of his salary do you think we would have to pay if we bought him out or just cut him?

callo1
07-08-2022, 05:57 PM
No, it's not really a thing. Woj and the nat'l press are trying to 1) gin up something for favored sons the Lakers, and 2) write stuff to drive ad revenue and clicks.

This ^^^

AFBlue
07-08-2022, 06:47 PM

That's what I thought.

MultiTroll
07-08-2022, 07:47 PM

Yeeee Haaaw :lol
Sure. Just add some glitter along with pink highlights.
And make it a dress.

That should complete your Russ to Spurs makeover.

MultiTroll
07-08-2022, 07:49 PM
The Lakers legacy. :lol

https://blacksportsonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Russell-Westbrook-Dress-Skirt.jpg

baseline bum
07-08-2022, 07:52 PM
The Fakers and the nets don't have enough assets between them for us to take on Westbrook's enormous contract. Besides the 1st round picks wouldn't be around for several years at the earliest. Let the Nets and Fakers find some other sucker team to make that trade. The spurs front office isn't the best, but they aren't the worst either.

Don't do it pop. You'll be arguing politics & basketball in an old folks home in five years and who knows where the spurs will be in 5 years. Don't do it. Just let these teams pay for their own stupid financial mistakes.

Begging taxpayers for a new arena and threatening to leave.

baseline bum
07-08-2022, 07:53 PM

Woj really fell off a cliff once he pissed off LeBron.

cjw
07-08-2022, 10:40 PM

They didn’t have room for a fourth rookie (went into the night not knowing they’d get three guys they were targeting) and they got back a million bucks PLUS the 2024 Lakers second round pick. They could be an absolute train wreck in two years.

T Park
07-09-2022, 01:33 AM
Begging taxpayers for a new arena and threatening to leave.

That’d be an amazing waste of money on a multi million dollar practice facility with offices and such, to just then a couple years after it’s built leave.

FutureMan
07-09-2022, 09:40 AM
How do y’all think the picks would fall for something like this:

NETS: Conley & McDermott
UTAH: Richardson & Poeltl
SAS: Westbrook

Idk about you guys but I’d love one of those unprotected MIN picks from Utah in 2025 & 2027.

FutureMan
07-09-2022, 09:47 AM
I also don’t hate this option either. Gets Beasley off the Jazz:

LAL: Irving & Beasley
SAS: Westbrook & Nunn

John B
07-09-2022, 09:48 AM

Idk about you guys but I’d love one of those unprotected MIN picks from Utah in 2025 & 2027.

I don’t know about Nets taking that 46 mil Conley contract tbh. I’m sure Utah would be all for it.

exstatic
07-09-2022, 11:50 AM

Nets would never do that.

FutureMan
07-09-2022, 01:59 PM
Nets would never do that.

Do you think they would for a LAL swap and our CHA pick?

I’d want an unprotected 2027 MIN pick and the two LAL unprotected picks. I feel confident that AT LEAST one of the Lakers, Minnesota, & Atlanta picks would be very high by then. I’ll probably do a deep dive next into their draft history and see how many years at least one of them was a bottom 5-7 team.

Rummpd
07-09-2022, 02:37 PM
Leave it up to inept and farcical Spurs front office to make the worst possible move. For Brick

exstatic
07-09-2022, 02:53 PM
The reality is that the primaries involved, the LAL and BKN, can’t get this done, mainly LA. They need to offload Russ’s $47M contract, and shell out assets for Kyrie, and they can’t. It doesn’t matter what other teams you involve, the fundamental imbalance remains. Either BKN gets short changed, or some other team is paying the Lakers bill, which isn’t going to happen.

gambit1990
07-09-2022, 04:21 PM
i don't want kyrie to go to the lakers but russ on the spurs would be awesome :tu

Seventyniner
07-09-2022, 08:56 PM
The reality is that the primaries involved, the LAL and BKN, can’t get this done, mainly LA. They need to offload Russ’s $47M contract, and shell out assets for Kyrie, and they can’t. It doesn’t matter what other teams you involve, the fundamental imbalance remains. Either BKN gets short changed, or some other team is paying the Lakers bill, which isn’t going to happen.

That's why I think any deal will involve 4 teams where the Spurs absorb WB's contract, the 4th team gets Irving and gives up assets, and the Lakers accept just getting players that are more useful that WB (almost anyone) rather than Irving.

Irving is a FA next summer anyway, and if LeBron walks they could sign him outright. Or do they not have enough room?

Dex
07-09-2022, 09:24 PM
Leave it up to inept and farcical Spurs front office to make the worst possible move. For Brick

You do realize that just because it is posted here...doesn't make it true, right?

Come on Doc, you've been round long enough...

rascal
07-09-2022, 09:51 PM
That's why I think any deal will involve 4 teams where the Spurs absorb WB's contract, the 4th team gets Irving and gives up assets, and the Lakers accept just getting players that are more useful that WB (almost anyone) rather than Irving.

Irving is a FA next summer anyway, and if LeBron walks they could sign him outright. Or do they not have enough room?

Lakers want Irving. Doubt they have any interest without getting him.

gambit1990
07-09-2022, 10:07 PM
i really, really don't wanna help the lakers.

but every spurs fan should be on board with westbrook to the spurs.

it's not like they're offering him a supermax contract.

gambit1990
07-09-2022, 10:08 PM
ginobili could help coach russ too. help him be a little more under control.

gambit1990
07-09-2022, 10:10 PM
russ will $ell tickets, bounce back and be an MVP candidate. as long as the spurs roster isn't total garbage...

some of y'all still wanna be in playoffs. best case scenario: the spurs make it. worse case: russ plays bad and the spurs get a decent draft pick.

exstatic
07-09-2022, 10:15 PM

Even if Russ stays in LA and walks next summer, they don’t have any cap room to sign Kyrie. We don’t accept any trades that don’t involve two unprotected Laker picks, and LA doesn’t accept any trade that doesn’t land Kyrie.

There’s no way to make the trade work with 3 teams, 4 teams or 5 teams, because it’s fundamentally unbalanced. LA just doesn’t have the assets to pull it off. They need to send heavy assets in two directions, and they can’t with only 2 FRPs and one swap.

jjspur
07-09-2022, 10:16 PM
Its funny how the fakers don't want to pay Russ any more, but they sure as hell want us to pay him. They should have thought about fit before they signed him. I just can't believe a few future draft picks ( if we get them) are worth 40 plus million dollars in salary which we will just eat and then some other team will sign brick for peanuts. Makes no sense even if you're desperate. We'll be bad next year, but not bad enough to be that desperate.

daslicer
07-09-2022, 10:16 PM
russ will $ell tickets, bounce back and be an MVP candidate. as long as the spurs roster isn't total garbage...

some of y'all still wanna be in playoffs. best case scenario: the spurs make it. worse case: russ plays bad and the spurs get a decent draft pick.

Harlem is this your alt account?

exstatic
07-09-2022, 10:18 PM
ginobili could help coach russ too. help him be a little more under control.

If they pull off a miracle and figure out a way to do this trade, Russ will be bought out. He’s a ball hog and a Diva, and would stunt the growth of our young players.

Ariel
07-09-2022, 10:32 PM
Well... I think there could be a framework for us to get in that trade, but we'd have to send out quite a few players...
Something like:
SA: In: Westbrook, picks - Out: McDermott, Poeltl, Richardson, KBD
LA - In: Irving, McDermott - Out: Westbrook, picks
BKN: - In: Poeltl, Richardson, KDB, picks - Out: Irving
Now before you say Brooklyn doesn't need Poeltl, I'm simply laying a general framework where we could be involved... Probably it'd require some team that could use Poeltl giving something up that the Nets need (Chicago? Toronto? Utah?). But the overall salary structure works.
I don't think the Nets would require all that much in terms of picks compensation for 1 year worth of Kyrie, he's a distraction and his market is reduced to one team. So probably one unprotected from LA plus something else.. maybe an unprotected 1st from LA plus whatever a 4th team that wants Poeltl can give them.
Basically for us, we take on about 10M worth of salary (which leaves plenty of room to facilitate other trades) and we get out of McDermott's remaining contract. Richardson is unlikely to command a 1st in return so he's the price for moving McDermott (maybe a couple second rounders on top) and trading Poeltl embraces the rebuild. As compensation we get maybe Philly's 2023 1st (owned by Brooklyn) and an unprotected pic from LA, plus ridding ourselves of McDermott now.

Now I'm not saying this is an easy or likely scenario, but it's a working scenario that, give or take a few picks could be a reasonable middle ground for all parties.

John B
07-09-2022, 11:23 PM
Even if Russ stays in LA and walks next summer, they don’t have any cap room to sign Kyrie. We don’t accept any trades that don’t involve two unprotected Laker picks, and LA doesn’t accept any trade that doesn’t land Kyrie.

There’s no way to make the trade work with 3 teams, 4 teams or 5 teams, because it’s fundamentally unbalanced. LA just doesn’t have the assets to pull it off. They need to send heavy assets in two directions, and they can’t with only 2 FRPs and one swap.

Could you speculate the hold-out on Poeltl? Per timvp, the FO was shopping Poeltl hard. There’s a rumor of a Turner/Ayton swap. And BKN does not seem to want Ayton. So Poeltl to Suns might not be it. CHA, on the otherhand, still needs a Center if they want Melo to hang-around. And Utah could use a replacement for Gobert. Do you think Poeltl will be moved before the openning of the season or towards trade deadline. Personally, I want to see Sochan play along side Poeltl and maybe Sugus was right about Poeltl only needing a good size PF to plug the 4.

rascal
07-10-2022, 12:07 AM
Get New Oleans in as the fourth team

Pelicans get:Westbrook and Poeltl

Lakers get: Irving

Spurs get: Jaxson Hayes and Pelicans 1st round swap pick with the lakers in 2023 and either 1st round 2024 pick or 2025 from Lakers via Pelicans whichever spurs decide and from Lakers 2028 1st round pick, so Spurs get three first round picks and Jaxson Hayes

Nets get: Lakers 1st in 2026 and Pelicans 1st in 2025 and from Pelicans: Valunciunas, Graham, Nance Jr. and Alvarado and from SA: K Johnson

tonight...you
07-10-2022, 12:15 AM
All of this is awful.
Just terrible.
I don't even get it.

No. No Russ.
No BS picks a ton of years later.
No bailing out the Lakers.
No trading away even more players that can traded in and of themselves for assets.

All of this is stupid.

gambit1990
07-10-2022, 01:33 AM
Harlem is this your alt account?

gambit1990
07-10-2022, 01:35 AM
If they pull off a miracle and figure out a way to do this trade, Russ will be bought out.
i would hate that. spurs kept rj, tony, demar around.

one year of russ won't be that bad. y'all would love learn to love him.

exstatic
07-10-2022, 04:16 AM
i would hate that. spurs kept rj, tony, demar around.

one year of russ won't be that bad. y'all would love learn to love him.

We’re not a championship team any more. We’re not a playoff team any more. I doubt he’d even WANT to stay through a rebuilding year. He’d also retard the progress of our youngsters.

BTW, I’d never learn to love him, or even like him. He’s a low IQ ball hog diva who would do terribly on this team.

RC_Drunkford
07-10-2022, 05:39 AM
Lakers need at least 4 first round picks to make this deal happen. They only got 2. It's not happening. Poeltl and J-Rich are worth a first round pick each by themselves and Brooklyn is not gonna take a pile of garbage for Irving. End of story

KingKev
07-10-2022, 06:19 AM
Lakers need at least 4 first round picks to make this deal happen. They only got 2. It's not happening. Poeltl and J-Rich are worth a first round pick each by themselves and Brooklyn is not gonna take a pile of garbage for Irving. End of story

Only way I see something of this structure getting done is if Kyrie absolutely strong arms his way to LA and BK has KD committed to playing for them so they look to salvage next year versus having Kyrie sit out again with Russ committing to BK after being waived by the Spurs.

exstatic
07-10-2022, 09:02 AM
Only way I see something of this structure getting done is if Kyrie absolutely strong arms his way to LA and BK has KD committed to playing for them so they look to salvage next year versus having Kyrie sit out again with Russ committing to BK after being waived by the Spurs.

The Nets don’t want Russ. If they did, they could just do the straight deal with the Lakers.

baseline bum
07-10-2022, 09:42 AM

Remember when you were constantly telling us how great he was a couple of years ago?

baseline bum
07-10-2022, 09:44 AM

Poetl is worth a first and more. Don't really see anyone giving the Spurs a first for Richardson's scrub ass though.

exstatic
07-10-2022, 11:22 AM
Poetl is worth a first and more. Don't really see anyone giving the Spurs a first for Richardson's scrub ass though.

Thad Young. We got a first for Thad young’s corpse.

JRich won’t elicit a FRP from just anyone, but to a contender, a guy who can shoot, defend, and is a good locker room guy is worth more than their 20+ position FRP.

Leetonidas
07-10-2022, 11:25 AM
Not to nitpick but technically we moved like 12 spots up and had to take a salary dump of Dragic for Young , so to say they got a first for him in a vacuum isnt correct

Ariel
07-10-2022, 11:37 AM
JRich won’t elicit a FRP from just anyone, but to a contender, a guy who can shoot, defend, and is a good locker room guy is worth more than their 20+ position FRP.
This is possible, but it likely would require us showcasing him until the trade deadline, meaning our time available for youngsters (Primo, Branham, Wesley) will be reduced, and it may also push us away from a better pick next year. So what you gain on one hand from building up Poeltl & Richardson's value, you lose on the other. So if a reasonably good deal comes along now, it may be better than waiting until the trade deadline for a deal that might come or might not, and even if it does, it will do so at a cost.

RC_Drunkford
07-10-2022, 11:45 AM
Spurs can probably flip a 2nd with Richardson into a first like they did with Young

Ariel
07-10-2022, 11:52 AM
They don't.
1) Kyrie is a headcase with negative value to Brooklyn, who leaves for nothing in one year and will hurt them every second he stays there. Also, there's only ONE team willing to trade for him. Brooklyn's best ally is the Lakers desperation, but that only goes so far as the assets they can put together. They cannot put together what they don't have in the first place.
2) People are fixated on black & white scenarios, when there's a range of possibilities that are not as costly. A third team involved willing to take Westbrook does not require cap space equivalent to his full salary, if they also send out players. So if the Lakers take back players from that third team, especially with undesirable contracts, you have more potential trade partners, and the leverage of any third team goes down significantly.
So all things considered, I think people overestimate the leverage the Nets & other teams have on the Lakers, and also underestimate the Lakers margin to make this trade work. They have more than enough to make it work, but everybody is speculating with the urgency of others, and whomever is forced to make the first move will likely end up the loser, be that the Lakers because of internal -LeBron- / external -fans- pressure to make a move, or the Nets (because time runs out and/or Kyrie is eating them from within.

exstatic
07-10-2022, 12:06 PM
Not to nitpick but technically we moved like 12 spots up and had to take a salary dump of Dragic for Young , so to say they got a first for him in a vacuum isnt correct

We have a bushel of SRPs to throw at the problem, but I really feel that 28 YO JRich is more useful and valuable than 33 YO Thad Young.

exstatic
07-10-2022, 12:29 PM
They don't.
1) Kyrie is a headcase with negative value to Brooklyn, who leaves for nothing in one year and will hurt them every second he stays there. Also, there's only ONE team willing to trade for him. Brooklyn's best ally is the Lakers desperation, but that only goes so far as the assets they can put together. They cannot put together what they don't have in the first place.
2) People are fixated on black & white scenarios, when there's a range of possibilities that are not as costly. A third team involved willing to take Westbrook does not require cap space equivalent to his full salary, if they also send out players. So if the Lakers take back players from that third team, especially with undesirable contracts, you have more potential trade partners, and the leverage of any third team goes down significantly.
So all things considered, I think people overestimate the leverage the Nets & other teams have on the Lakers, and also underestimate the Lakers margin to make this trade work. They have more than enough to make it work, but everybody is speculating with the urgency of others, and whomever is forced to make the first move will likely end up the loser, be that the Lakers because of internal -LeBron- / external -fans- pressure to make a move, or the Nets (because time runs out and/or Kyrie is eating them from within.

The Spurs are in the drivers seat on this, because we can make other choices to monetize our cap space to one or more teams not in this particular trade, but I don’t believe anyone currently has more free cap room than us. BW seems willing to play and win at brinksmanship, based on his haul from ATL, 2 UFRPs, 1 FRP and the U pick swap for DJ. Posters here would have said someone who proposed that as a return for DJ was on crack.

We can monetize before the deadline:

Jak
JRich
cap room

For that in total, we should be able to pull 4 FRPs. Absolutely do NOT include Jak or JRich in any LAL/BKN trade. They have separate value that you’d be throwing into the pot, reducing/offsetting your return. Shove McD at them by force.

This trade does not HAVE to happen, which is something most here don’t realize. They’re not collaborating. It’s a business, and deals fall through every day.

Seventyniner
07-10-2022, 12:32 PM

Yeah, "a first" is not some black-or-white statement. Protections matter as well as the projected team strength when the pick conveys. That's why a 2027 unprotected first from a team that is decent to good now is probably more valuable than the same pick in 2023: more theta value.

Moving up 12 spots is different than an outright pick. It's still a significant rise, though. The salary swap aspect was neutral to the Spurs because neither Young nor Dragic was in their plans. Maybe even a slight positive because Young played some minutes that could have gone to younger players, while Dragic was immediately waived.

baseline bum
07-10-2022, 01:53 PM
Thad Young. We got a first for Thad young’s corpse.

Young is a more versatile and more efficient player than Richardson.

Ariel
07-10-2022, 01:58 PM
https://heavy.com/sports/dallas-mavericks/mark-cuban-kevin-durant-trade-rumors-nets/

Latest on a Potential Jakob Poeltl Trade

You might want to tap the breaks on any Jakob Poeltl trade talk — if not stop the car entirely and put it in park.

There was the sense when San Antonio traded away Dejounte Murray for Danilo Gallinari (since waived), three first-round picks and a potential pick swap that the club is going for a severe tear-down and rebuild. Teams have come knocking at the Spurs’ door looking to acquire present talent for future reward (first round picks and developmental pieces).

But those teams have found the door isn’t quite as open as they may expect — particularly when it comes to the 7-1 Poeltl, who truly came into his own this year, averaging 13.5 points and 9.3 rebounds in a relatively modest 29.0 minutes per game.

One general manager told Heavy Sports, “The sense we got is that, yes, they’re rebuilding, but they don’t want to burn the thing to the ground and start from there. Poeltl’s the kind of guy that can give them a solid presence inside and make things better from a competitive standpoint when you’re trying to develop the guys who are going to be out there with him.”

There’s also the fact that Poeltl is 26 and is himself still developing. The Spurs would obviously not want to see him grow into something even more prominent elsewhere.

“We looked into it,” another league exec said. “The sense we got is that they ain’t moving him.”

Which isn’t to say that San Antonio wouldn’t deal Poeltl for the right price. It’s just that said price would have to be quite high.

Teams were interested in Poeltl at this past February’s in-season trade deadline, but found a heavy ask from the Spurs in the range of a rotation player and a first round pick.

Considering Poeltl’s averages improved after the deadline to 14.2 points on 62.7 percent shooting and 9.9 rebounds (in 29.3 minutes), the ask is presumably even higher now.

Chomag
07-10-2022, 02:08 PM
Makes no sense to hold on to Jacob especially after Trading Murray.

Seventyniner
07-10-2022, 02:37 PM
I guess the Spurs' idea is to not completely bottom out, just to play "solid" basketball while not pushing for a playoff spot.

Seventyniner
07-10-2022, 02:39 PM
Putting a high price tag on Poeltl while not calling him untouchable is the right way to go. You always want to start your negotiations high, and Wright has shown that he is willing to hold out for what he thinks is a good deal. Getting that 2028 pick swap from Boston thrown in is an example of that.

Mr. Body
07-10-2022, 02:41 PM
Keeping Poeltl is the only right move. The team isn't tearing it down to the tacks. This is pretty clear and anyone who thought so (including other teams' execs) were completely wrong. The young players need good structure on and off the court. On the court? This means a strong inside defensive presence that Poeltl brings. Developing young wings with a guy with brittle feet and an ancient Giorgiu Dieng as your two bigs is a recipe for disaster.

The truth is firming up that Dejounte was squeezing his way out the door eventually so he could go rain money at skanky Atlanta strip clubs. The team did him and themselves the favor by trading him - for a good haul.

Now, if someone wants to drop a bunch of picks on Poeltl right now, the story changes. Trading him for a single pick right now doesn't make sense.

Seventyniner
07-10-2022, 02:49 PM
Keeping Poeltl is the only right move. The team isn't tearing it down to the tacks. This is pretty clear and anyone who thought so (including other teams' execs) were completely wrong. The young players need good structure on and off the court. On the court? This means a strong inside defensive presence that Poeltl brings. Developing young wings with a guy with brittle feet and an ancient Giorgiu Dieng as your two bigs is a recipe for disaster.

The truth is firming up that Dejounte was squeezing his way out the door eventually so he could go rain money at skanky Atlanta strip clubs. The team did him and themselves the favor by trading him - for a good haul.

Now, if someone wants to drop a bunch of picks on Poeltl right now, the story changes. Trading him for a single pick right now doesn't make sense.

I like the way you think.

Trading Dejounte could very well have been more a case of selling high than starting an intentional tank.

Technically a single pick could be worth trading Poeltl for, but no team bad enough to still be bad after getting him is going to trade an unprotected or lightly protected pick for him, or trade for him at all most likely.

gambit1990
07-10-2022, 04:26 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ValidWeirdKoala-max-1mb.gif

DAF86
07-10-2022, 05:07 PM
https://heavy.com/sports/dallas-mavericks/mark-cuban-kevin-durant-trade-rumors-nets/

"Teams were interested in Poeltl at this past February’s in-season trade deadline, but found a heavy ask from the Spurs in the range of a rotation player and a first round pick."

This doesn't make sense to me. Why would the Spurs want a rotation player? I could understand getting a guy with potential, or 2 first round picks; but a current rotation player makes no sense for what the Spurs should be aiming for.

Mr. Body
07-10-2022, 05:15 PM
"Teams were interested in Poeltl at this past February’s in-season trade deadline, but found a heavy ask from the Spurs in the range of a rotation player and a first round pick."

This doesn't make sense to me. Why would the Spurs want a rotation player? I could understand getting a guy with potential, or 2 first round picks; but a current rotation player makes no sense for what the Spurs should be aiming for.

That was last February when they were not tanking. Since I still don't think they're tanking they may be looking along the same lines.

rascal
07-10-2022, 06:25 PM

You changed your mind about Murray getting traded.

You were one of the ones crying the loudest about him being traded.

KingKev
07-11-2022, 07:41 AM
The Nets don’t want Russ. If they did, they could just do the straight deal with the Lakers.

No one does, but Russ on a min deal after a buyout is much different.

KingKev
07-11-2022, 07:48 AM

yeah he is flip flopping. Murray at a strip club has Spurs fans vexed. A young, rich, single, and hard working dude went to a strip club to enjoy the fruits of his labour. DJ doesn’t even drink. Just wanted to see some tits and ass and chop it up in his new city.

Sochan might be at a drag bar dancing in a neon green thong and I wouldn’t give a fuck…

The cultural fit BS should be that you are good at what you are paid to do.

Mr. Body
07-11-2022, 08:14 AM

Trading Murray was a mistake and we'll pay for it. The team, as I continue to say, needs structure and clearly they're going to be fucked without someone who can bring it over the timeline and initiate the offense. He could easily be traded next year or S&T after. But whatever, what's done is done.

Trading Poeltl after trading Murray would increase the disaster. We have ball handlers who can sort of cover. We have no one who can make up for the loss of Poeltl, esp. since we wouldn't get anything commensurate to what he's worth.

bluebellmaniac
07-11-2022, 08:49 AM
Trading Murray was a mistake and we'll pay for it. The team, as I continue to say, needs structure and clearly they're going to be fucked without someone who can bring it over the timeline and initiate the offense. He could easily be traded next year or S&T after. But whatever, what's done is done.

Trading Poeltl after trading Murray would increase the disaster. We have ball handlers who can sort of cover. We have no one who can make up for the loss of Poeltl, esp. since we wouldn't get anything commensurate to what he's worth.

So weird. Almost like they know we'll have less wins, but traded him anyway.

Mr. Body
07-11-2022, 08:53 AM
So weird. Almost like they know we'll have less wins, but traded him anyway.

The amount of wins is immaterial. You people are obsessed over that part of it. I'm talking about how to develop young players. If they can't even get into sets and the offense is a mess - or, with Poeltl, they have no rim protector helping them, or a good screener, etc. - how are you expecting them to get to where they need to go?

RC_Drunkford
07-11-2022, 09:21 AM
The amount of wins is immaterial. You people are obsessed over that part of it. I'm talking about how to develop young players. If they can't even get into sets and the offense is a mess - or, with Poeltl, they have no rim protector helping them, or a good screener, etc. - how are you expecting them to get to where they need to go?

they need to get to the bottom of the standings so they will get there even faster

tbdog
07-17-2022, 04:08 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/w1bec2/malaki_branham_asks_what_westbrook_gets_a_lot_of/

gospursgojas
07-17-2022, 04:16 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/w1bec2/malaki_branham_asks_what_westbrook_gets_a_lot_of/

Lol. Love the kid more and more everyday.

scott
07-17-2022, 04:53 PM
The discourse is this thread is a good example of how the Spurs appear to still have no cohesive direction

Mr. Body
07-17-2022, 05:05 PM
The discourse is this thread is a good example of how the Spurs appear to still have no cohesive direction

I'm pretty sure the discourse on this board has no impact whatsoever on the direction of the franchise.

scott
07-17-2022, 05:09 PM
I'm pretty sure the discourse on this board has no impact whatsoever on the direction of the franchise.

Yes but the discourse here is based on the available facts - and it those available facts point to a team stuck in purgatory for years to come

tbdog
07-17-2022, 06:27 PM

Yeah. Exactly the character we need.

Mr. Body
07-17-2022, 09:10 PM
Looks more and more likely Kyrie stays in BKN. Westbrook and the Lakers are stuck with each other. I feel more sorry for Russell than anything -- the team sucked, but it's because Anthony Davis is a soft fraud and they had no role players whatsoever.

tonight...you
07-17-2022, 09:13 PM
Looks more and more likely Kyrie stays in BKN. Westbrook and the Lakers are stuck with each other. I feel more sorry for Russell than anything -- the team sucked, but it's because Anthony Davis is a soft fraud and they had no role players whatsoever.
I agree.
I feel bad for Russ.
He should have been told what a bad fit it was going to be.
Maybe he was told and didn't care.
The allure of Lebron is strong.
Ah well. Better their team and not ours.

Ariel
07-17-2022, 09:23 PM
I'd bet good money that deal ends up happening eventually. At the time being both sides can wait, so they speculate with a better return eventually, but the gap between expectations and reality will get shorter and shorter as the Lakers will start losing, and the Nets come closer to the realization they're losing him for nothing after the trade deadline. So there's too much at stake for both parties not to do the deal, sooner or later.

KingKev
07-17-2022, 09:34 PM
Am I the only one who doesn’t rock with this? I don’t care for Russ but I dunno how I feel about a rookie talking smack like that. Another reason to stay off social media though.

offset formation
07-17-2022, 09:40 PM
Am I the only one who doesn’t rock with this? I don’t care for Russ but I dunno how I feel about a rookie talking smack like that. Another reason to stay off social media though.

I kinda agree. Rooks talking smack, even though he seems to have immediately regretted it, isn't the best of looks. He was kidding and all but he's a shit talker, which is all fun and games until opposing players start making you eat your words.

Be more like Timmy is a good rule of thumb. Let your play be your mouth.

KingKev
07-17-2022, 10:12 PM
I kinda agree. Rooks talking smack, even though he seems to have immediately regretted it, isn't the best of looks. He was kidding and all but he's a shit talker, which is all fun and games until opposing players start making you eat your words.

Be more like Timmy is a good rule of thumb. Let your play be your mouth.

I’m excited for Sochan and yeah talk that talk on the court whatever but not this. I know he was just playing but already making enemies with ppl who don’t know him.

exstatic
07-17-2022, 10:20 PM
I agree.
I feel bad for Russ.
He should have been told what a bad fit it was going to be.
Maybe he was told and didn't care.
The allure of Lebron is strong.
Ah well. Better their team and not ours.

Russ is getting a shit ton of money for playing a game. Hall of Fame players, guys on the Dream Team never won a championship, and made a LOT less fucking money than Russ did. Feel bad for them.

I think the deal ends up happening. Why would he fire his agent from year one, a guy who wanted him to stay in LA, if he was in fact staying in LA?

gambit1990
07-18-2022, 12:00 AM
mvp candidate on the spurs.

gambit1990
07-18-2022, 12:01 AM
i honestly don't care about "helping" the lakers.

it's kyrie i don't wanna help.

LkrFan
07-18-2022, 01:22 AM

:cry

exstatic
07-18-2022, 05:35 AM
mvp candidate on the spurs.

He’ll never play a minute, or put on the uniform.

CGD
07-18-2022, 06:55 AM

Fantastic lol

Dex
07-18-2022, 08:16 AM

Discourse on SpursTalk? Never thought I'd see the day :rolleyes

KingKev
07-18-2022, 08:39 AM
timvp on BR

https://twitter.com/Bballforeverfb/status/1548907182334578688

dbestpro
07-18-2022, 08:51 AM

Davis is the one they should try and trade for Durant.

gambit1990
07-18-2022, 10:32 AM
Davis is the one they should try and trade for Durant.
agreed.

exstatic
07-18-2022, 11:55 AM

Lakers fans will riot if they roll back the same team again. They’ll miss the playoffs again, and have to swap picks with N.O.

KingKev
07-18-2022, 12:23 PM
Lakers fans will riot if they roll back the same team again. They’ll miss the playoffs again, and have to swap picks with N.O.

Russ is virtually untradeable. It’s in their best interest to try and make it work.

Their only hope is Kyrie gets more difficult with BK and even that will require giving up costly draft capital.

DAF86
07-18-2022, 01:22 PM

Sorry but this is a horrible take. I agree I wouldn't have traded Murray, but now that it's done, you have to go all in and trade Poeltl too. You can't half ass it and risk to be mid. If you traded away your 25 years old franchise player, you better trade the rest of the veterans and go full rebuilding mode.

It is just for one year, you get your top 3 talent and start building from there. Specially this year that seems to have a couple of generational talents not seen since Lebron.

Being mild and not choosing a clear path will only lead to more mediocrity. The worst thing we can do.

scott
07-18-2022, 01:30 PM
Sorry but this is a horrible take. I agree I wouldn't have traded Murray, but now that it's done, you have to go all in and trade Poeltl too. You can't half ass it and risk to be mid. If you traded away your 25 years old franchise player, you better trade the rest of the veterans and go full rebuilding mode.

It is just for one year, you get your top 3 talent and start building from there. Specially this year that seems to have a couple of generational talents not seen since Lebron.

Being mild and not choosing a clear path will only lead to more mediocrity. The worst thing we can do.

100%. This is why it is concerning that the Spurs don't seem committed to trading Jak. It keeps us stuck in the mediocre zone. Hopefully it's just the FO trying to get leverage for a better deal, but it seems entirely feasible they still see Jak as their long-term starting C.

My biggest fear was that the Spurs didn't see trading DJM as a tear-it-down, but merely as a good deal they couldn't refuse. However, mitigating those fears is the fact that we've done literally nothing else this offseason to improve the team, despite the massive amounts of cap space. This seems to suggest we are going full tear-down mode, but the reports on keeping Jak are concerning. It makes zero sense to keep him just for this season - we've either got to trade him or the plan will be to extend him next off-season (which doesn't make a lot of sense - except for maybe in the context of getting the 2-5 pick, which will be a G or W, not a big, in which case you feel you are getting generational talent but still need a competent C on the team and we wouldn't want to start over there)

exstatic
07-18-2022, 01:41 PM
100%. This is why it is concerning that the Spurs don't seem committed to trading Jak. It keeps us stuck in the mediocre zone. Hopefully it's just the FO trying to get leverage for a better deal, but it seems entirely feasible they still see Jak as their long-term starting C.

My biggest fear was that the Spurs didn't see trading DJM as a tear-it-down, but merely as a good deal they couldn't refuse. However, mitigating those fears is the fact that we've done literally nothing else this offseason to improve the team, despite the massive amounts of cap space. This seems to suggest we are going full tear-down mode, but the reports on keeping Jak are concerning. It makes zero sense to keep him just for this season - we've either got to trade him or the plan will be to extend him next off-season (which doesn't make a lot of sense - except for maybe in the context of getting the 2-5 pick, which will be a G or W, not a big, in which case you feel you are getting generational talent but still need a competent C on the team and we wouldn't want to start over there)

It’s July 18th. We traded for McD n August 7th last year. If you want your price, it’s going to take a while.

Killakobe81
07-18-2022, 01:54 PM

I like him and his answer but of course he backtracked which seems semi genuine and some backpedaling but love the kid he was a great pick tbh.

scott
07-18-2022, 02:00 PM
It’s July 18th. We traded for McD n August 7th last year. If you want your price, it’s going to take a while.

The timing is less relevant than the motive. And since this is a discussion board, the motives are the fun things we get to the discuss. The Spurs probably should move Jak, the question is whether the FO agrees. With that said, I'm not one of those who believes any of us on this message board are superior basketball people than those who work in actual NBA FOs... but that's why we have discussion boards.

Now, if the timing is in reference to trading for assets to improve the team in the short run... well, I think we can all agree we prefer not to do that.

Arcadian
07-18-2022, 02:28 PM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/014/285/sideeyechloe.jpg

Ugh. I don't think I'll watch much basketball this year.

exstatic
07-18-2022, 02:29 PM
The timing is less relevant than the motive. And since this is a discussion board, the motives are the fun things we get to the discuss. The Spurs probably should move Jak, the question is whether the FO agrees. With that said, I'm not one of those who believes any of us on this message board are superior basketball people than those who work in actual NBA FOs... but that's why we have discussion boards.

Now, if the timing is in reference to trading for assets to improve the team in the short run... well, I think we can all agree we prefer not to do that.

The timing was a reference to the fact that everything doesn’t happen in July.

I know that we don’t know a lot, but I’m convinced that LJ has good contacts, and he seems pretty sure that not only will Jak be moved, but he’ll be moved before the season.

exstatic
07-18-2022, 02:30 PM

It’s actually going to be a fun team to watch. Closer to the Beautiful Game than we’ve been for a while, with no ball dominator.

RC_Drunkford
07-18-2022, 02:36 PM

we never traded for McDermott he was signed as a free agent

RC_Drunkford
07-18-2022, 02:40 PM
I get the Spurs trying to get the Lakers pick, but they should actually try to get another pick for the 2023 draft. Since this is the best draft class in years just having your own pick in this draft doesn‘t make much sense for a rebuilding team

John B
07-18-2022, 02:41 PM
It’s actually going to be a fun team to watch. Closer to the Beautiful Game than we’ve been for a while, with no ball dominator.

I like it. Still the Beautiful Game takes a lot of time of dedicated practice. NBA vets historically took at least a year to get acclimated to Spurs culture, and learn the intricate details of the plays, being in the right place, crisp passing, etc. And Spurs had proven Big 3 plus vets like Diaw, Splitter, Mills, Belli instead of kids of 19-22 yrs olds. So yeah, it will be a lot of growing pains the next couple of years the least.

exstatic
07-18-2022, 02:42 PM
we never traded for McDermott he was signed as a free agent

It was a sign and trade. We could have signed him, but didn’t. There were SRPs involved. We each swapped heavily protected 2023 SRP that will likely never convey, and there is a very tangled 2027 SRP that we get.

Edit, the 2027 SRP,wasn’t part of the deal.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-18-2022, 03:03 PM
I'm sure the Spurs are lobbying for all they can get back in this scenario. As others have said, the Lakers don't have many tradeable assets, particularly picks, so I'm sure coming to an equitable agreement isn't going to be easy.

KingKev
07-18-2022, 04:11 PM

Ummmm we agreed to terms with McD on August 2nd THE FIRST DAY OF 2021 FREE AGENCY. When it came to putting pen to pad a week later it was worked as a sign and trade.

exstatic
07-18-2022, 04:14 PM
Ummmm we agreed to terms with McD on August 2nd THE FIRST DAY OF 2021 FREE AGENCY. When it came to putting pen to pad a week later it was worked as a sign and trade.

August 2nd is about a month after FA opened. The league year ends 30 June, and there’s a couple of days for the moratorium. I think it was 6/July this year.

KingKev
07-18-2022, 04:16 PM
August 2nd is about a month after FA opened. The league year ends 30 June, and there’s a couple of days for the moratorium. I think it was 6/July this year.

No Abe. Free agency started late in 2021 because there was this thing called covid.

illusioNtEk
07-18-2022, 04:42 PM

this is how I feel when I see the news

RC_Drunkford
07-18-2022, 04:54 PM
timvp on Undisputed

Officially the most reliable Spurs insider tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qxWhrZdKXw

scott
07-18-2022, 06:25 PM

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/when-does-2021-nba-free-agency-start

tonight...you
07-18-2022, 06:44 PM

Holy crap that's me while consulting a required roundtable 7 times out of 10.

KingKev
07-18-2022, 07:38 PM
Holy crap that's me while consulting a required roundtable 7 times out of 10.

From the conference room of a Days Inn?

tonight...you
07-18-2022, 07:58 PM
From the conference room of a Days Inn?
What's your deal?
You're being weird.

Mr. Body
07-18-2022, 08:05 PM

I guess. Not trading Poeltl wouldn't be wise, but I guess we can stifle the development of the players we have for some future bauble that will redeem everything like Jesus Christ. Y'all got to realize this team isn't out to lose games. We may trade Poeltl near the deadline if the price is right. Getting rid of him for no excellent reason is dumb.

itzsoweezee
07-18-2022, 08:12 PM
Y'all got to realize this team isn't out to lose games.

LOL

Mr. Body
07-18-2022, 08:20 PM
LOL

This team isn't tanking.

Mr. Body
07-18-2022, 08:20 PM
I feel like going over this shit again and again is getting kind of pointless.

MultiTroll
07-18-2022, 08:25 PM
Sochans bb idol was Westbrook.

FFS

spurraider21
07-18-2022, 08:27 PM
This team isn't tanking.
https://media1.giphy.com/media/Fn7q3cMgPZmqk/200.gif

tonight...you
07-18-2022, 08:28 PM
I feel like going over this shit again and again is getting kind of pointless.
You're right.
Chill.
The team is not going to outright tank with it's play, but it's going to tank with the loss of talent.
Especially if they get rid of Poeltl and Richardson.

And that's a big if.
But Pop is going to teach and train and have his guys play their asses off in the meantime.

Mr. Body
07-18-2022, 08:29 PM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/Fn7q3cMgPZmqk/200.gif

Dumb fucks don't even know what tanking means.

offset formation
07-18-2022, 08:30 PM
Sochans bb idol was Westbrook.

FFS

That's odd considering Westbrook isn't known for his defensive effort or expertise, and that's where Jeremy hangs his hat. But it might explain why I have hope he can become the point forward with his underrated handles and passing.

DAF86
07-18-2022, 08:38 PM

Pop isn't going to tell the players "go ahead and lose", that's why management is going to trade any rotation level veteran that could help win games.

scott
07-18-2022, 08:40 PM
This team isn't tanking.

People scoff at this, blinded by their own preferences and biases, but it's a very valid perspective. It is very possible that the FO doesn't view trading Murray as tanking, as much as they do just accepting an EV+ deal. This is actually the potential position they could be taking that scares me most.

Like I said earlier though, I feel like by not taking any steps to improve the team in FA while having all this cap space is a good indicator that they are committing to a true rebuild, in which case trading Jak is the right move.

And I get Mr. Body's point about not tanking. The team is going to go out and win as many games as they can... which still not be very many. But Pop is very unlikely to not try to win games.

MultiTroll
07-18-2022, 08:41 PM
That's odd considering Westbrook isn't known for his defensive effort or expertise, and that's where Jeremy hangs his hat. But it might explain why I have hope he can become the point forward with his underrated handles and passing.
Yep. :depressed

San Antonio Spurs rookie Jeremy Sochan 'not intending on being disrespectful' to Russell Westbrook with 'bricks' response (espn.com) (https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34262574/san-antonio-spurs-rookie-jeremy-sochan-not-intending-being-disrespectful-russell-westbrook-bricks-response)

Well, wait. BSPN twisted/omitted a word (no suprise) but that word changes a lot.

Sochan, 19, said in a later tweet that Westbrook has been his "idol since I started watching the NBA" and added that his dog's name is Russell -- an homage to the former NBA MVP. -BSPN

Vs what Sochan really posted:
"Been ONE idol since i started watching the NBA and my dog is called Russell." -capitalization Fabbs.

MultiTroll
07-18-2022, 08:44 PM
^ Still disturbing that Sochan mentions Westbrick but huge difference between "his idol" and "one idol"
:rollin BSPN continuing with the Laker propoganda.

I sure hope Sochans colored hair changes and Westbrooks dress wearing don't mean.....

KingKev
Yep. :depressed

San Antonio Spurs rookie Jeremy Sochan 'not intending on being disrespectful' to Russell Westbrook with 'bricks' response (espn.com) (https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34262574/san-antonio-spurs-rookie-jeremy-sochan-not-intending-being-disrespectful-russell-westbrook-bricks-response)

Well, wait. BSPN twisted/omitted a word (no suprise) but that word changes a lot.

Sochan, 19, said in a later tweet that Westbrook has been his "idol since I started watching the NBA" and added that his dog's name is Russell -- an homage to the former NBA MVP. -BSPN

Vs what Sochan really posted:
Been ONE idol since i started watching the NBA and my dog is called Russell.

correct me if I am wrong it sounds like he immediately says don’t print this during that session. I think it was light hearted and not him talking shit but at the same time he was talking shit lol and now he has put a target on his back. Stay off social media kids.

baseline bum

Maybe he meant UCLA Westbrook, where Ben Howland had honed Westbrook into an elite defender.

offset formation
07-18-2022, 08:45 PM
Pop isn't going to tell the players "go ahead and lose", that's why management is going to trade any rotation level veteran that could help win games.

Ideally Brown having gone through the process and now being here, will help rein in Pop some.

MultiTroll
07-18-2022, 08:52 PM
correct me if I am wrong it sounds like he immediately says don’t print this during that session. I think it was light hearted and not him talking shit but at the same time he was talking shit lol and now he has put a target on his back. Stay off social media kids.
Didn't hear the piece just read it.
But ya Sochan is backpedaling badly.
Agree stay off social media. That having been said would rather he manned up and acknowledged saying it vs the pedal.

I mean so what if Sochan did say it. Westchuck is an overly sensitive puss about it. Westchuck should use his "bricks" moniker it to motivate his own game rather then playing the butthurt social medial gal role.

exstatic
07-18-2022, 09:24 PM

His Mom and dad went to college in OK. He spent time there in his youth, and even posted a pic of himself in a Russ jersey.

itzsoweezee
07-18-2022, 09:28 PM

Here we go with moving the goal posts

itzsoweezee
07-18-2022, 09:31 PM

These people change the meaning of tanking for whatever agenda they’re pushing. Spurs are gunning for a bottom three record. That’s tanking. How they accomplish it is completely irrelevant.

exstatic
07-18-2022, 09:40 PM
These people change the meaning of tanking for whatever agenda they’re pushing. Spurs are gunning for a bottom three record. That’s tanking. How they accomplish it is completely irrelevant.

They won’t get it, unless a major injury or two happens. Pop will never sit healthy players for the post trade deadline games. He won’t. At one point in Jan/Feb, we were at like 5 or 6, but when Portland sat a healthy Dame and Nurk, and a couple of other teams followed suit, we dropped to 9. Next year will be similar.

Mr. Body
07-18-2022, 09:42 PM

Tanking literally means losing games on purpose. That's the literal definition of tanking. It's not what they're going to do. Go watch another franchise.

offset formation
07-18-2022, 09:49 PM
Maybe he meant UCLA Westbrook, where Ben Howland had honed Westbrook into an elite defender.

His Mom and dad went to college in OK. He spent time there in his youth, and even posted a pic of himself in a Russ jersey.

Ah I forgot that he was born there. Yeah, makes more sense when you take that into account

itzsoweezee
07-18-2022, 09:50 PM
Tanking literally means losing games on purpose. That's the literal definition of tanking. It's not what they're going to do. Go watch another franchise.

The spurs will have a button 3 record at the end of next year. I can predict this months before the season even starts because they’re tanking. No need to get into this wishy washy nonsense to push a silly agenda.

Go watch another sport. You don’t understand the NBA

south side spur
07-18-2022, 09:53 PM
This IS from that mediot Chris Haynes…

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-lebron-james-russell-westbrook-and-anthony-davis-commit-to-making-lakers-big-3-work-220405319.html (https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-lebron-james-russell-westbrook-and-anthony-davis-commit-to-making-lakers-big-3-work-220405319.html)

The Los Angeles Lakers (https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/la-lakers/)’ Big 3 of LeBron James (https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3704/), Anthony Davis and Russell Westbrook (https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4390/) huddled up on a phone conversation the first weekend of NBA Summer League in Las Vegas with each expressing their commitment to one another and vowing to make it work, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
While the uncertainty of Westbrook’s future with the Lakers remains, the conversation was organized to make sure all three were on the same page as long as they’re joined together in their pursuit of a championship, sources said.
Westbrook has never requested a trade from the Lakers, sources said.

rascal
07-18-2022, 09:54 PM

The Players are trying to win, the front office is tanking by the roster construction.

rascal
07-18-2022, 09:58 PM
They won’t get it, unless a major injury or two happens. Pop will never sit healthy players for the post trade deadline games. He won’t. At one point in Jan/Feb, we were at like 5 or 6, but when Portland sat a healthy Dame and Nurk, and a couple of other teams followed suit, we dropped to 9. Next year will be similar.

This year will be different. Last year they were close enough to a play in game.

Pop will sit players this year because the spurs won't be anywhere near a play in game.

offset formation
07-18-2022, 09:59 PM
The Players are trying to win, the front office is tanking by the roster construction.

This should be the final word on this subject. Close the thread.