PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs vs. Warriors - Summer League Game #2

timvp
07-11-2022, 02:49 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san-antonio-spurs-golden-state-warriors-summer-league/

Manu-of-steel
07-11-2022, 03:03 AM
Thanks Timvp!

John B
07-11-2022, 04:10 AM
Thanks Timvp. I wouldn’t worry too much on Primo. I thought he was able to get to his position and shot, just that the ball wasn’t falling. But he still has a long way to work on.

Blake is the star of the Spurs in the Summer League. This guy wants to be the best player in the court, relentless and fearless. Those back-to-back triples says it all. The guy is not shy. He needs to work on finishing the basket.

Branham, a little underwhelmed. He needs to be more aggressive calling his number. As mentioned on another thread, Wesley has been outplaying him. But he could be better with better players around him that should get him open. I’m not worried.

Days is a joy to see. He’s Malik son finally arrived. The guy says he patterned his game around Draymond and PJ Tucker. Well it shows. For now he is the leading candidate for the 2nd two-way spot.

Barlow I’m not concern with his production. I’m impressed with his defense and length. And I have to always remind myself, he’s only 19. He is still going better. And I believe in him wanting to get better.

I hate to says that the refs are wearing blue/gold also. I think there are a few calls that should have not been called, and some fouls that Spurs should’ve gotten.

All in all, I’m not overly concern. Sochan could’ve help.

Dejounte
07-11-2022, 04:33 AM
What’s overlooked amidst Blake’s offensive prowess is his defense. He is hardly ever lost on defense and it’s something you don’t notice unless you look for it. His defensive cover on QSpoon on that play was *chef’s kiss*. He has potential to be a two way player which is something you cannot say for many players in this league. It’s not only the Spurs who are lucky to have this dude, but it’s Wesley who’s also lucky he’s part of the Spurs program and all the $900 million human performance shit that’s about to be poured onto him and all the other guys by next year. Wes is a monster in the making.

Dejounte
07-11-2022, 04:48 AM
Looking around the league and how the other players are doing…

Dyson played 8 minutes yesterday and not sure why. Injury?
Johnny Davis 11p,4r,1a on 4-11 shooting yesterday
Mathurin 15p,3r,1a on 6-16 shooting
Shaedon…injured

KingKev
07-11-2022, 04:52 AM
You forgot Tony Parker:

- Wasn’t bashful regarding our franchises current state. Said he can’t wait to catch up with Pop and ask him what the hell PATFO are doing.
- Noted he is a scout also and still doesn’t know 75% of our roster. Too bad he has so much else going on in life as he would be a solid GM.
- Didn’t get caught sexting chicks on the sideline (true playa foreal)

Grade: A+

Dejounte
07-11-2022, 05:29 AM
Was Kyler Edwards kicked off the team? I thought we signed that guy with an X10 deal

Mnky
07-11-2022, 06:09 AM

Shaedon…injured

This right here. The reality is those three will probably be just fine, just like the young spurs will be.

The Spurs have Tre, Vassall, Keldon and Poetl locked in if Poetl isn't moved. That's a starting four that will get the majority of minutes. They also have Mcdermott, Richardson, Collins and of coure their top pick, Sochan. These young bucks are not needed at all. They will develop and get better. You pick them up young to put them in your program and train them the right way. Dejounte broke out during his second contract. These guys haven't even started playing their first.

They'll be alright.

Ariel
07-11-2022, 08:56 AM

Shaedon…injured
Dyson stepped on a rival's foot while driving to the basket and rolled his ankle.
Johnny Davis struggled a lot with efficiency, no easy baskets for him. Mathurin was the polar opposite.

Atl Spur
07-11-2022, 09:18 AM
What’s overlooked amidst Blake’s offensive prowess is his defense. He is hardly ever lost on defense and it’s something you don’t notice unless you look for it. His defensive cover on QSpoon on that play was *chef’s kiss*. He has potential to be a two way player which is something you cannot say for many players in this league. It’s not only the Spurs who are lucky to have this dude, but it’s Wesley who’s also lucky he’s part of the Spurs program and all the $900 million human performance shit that’s about to be poured onto him and all the other guys by next year. Wes is a monster in the making.

The young fella is off to a good start; hopefully his growing pains aren’t very long.

Atl Spur
07-11-2022, 09:21 AM
This right here. The reality is those three will probably be just fine, just like the young spurs will be.

The Spurs have Tre, Vassall, Keldon and Poetl locked in if Poetl isn't moved. That's a starting four that will get the majority of minutes. They also have Mcdermott, Richardson, Collins and of coure their top pick, Sochan. These young bucks are not needed at all. They will develop and get better. You pick them up young to put them in your program and train them the right way. Dejounte broke out during his second contract. These guys haven't even started playing their first.

They'll be alright.

^this. Spurs Talk, where history & facts don’t matter!

Russ
07-11-2022, 09:37 AM
It's hard to ever say that coming to Las Vegas has been a sobering experience, but this has been.

spurraider21
07-11-2022, 09:45 AM
:lol op has to be trolling at this point… always with throwaway lines like “heady passes” when a player he likes has no redeeming qualities in the game he’s reviewing

Spursfanfromafar
07-11-2022, 09:47 AM
Looks like PATFO overrated Primo and are trying to overburden him as he comes along. They should probably him just play like a SG/wing and then learn the ropes of ball handling, instead of being thrust into the lead ball handler role. With the Spurs rebuilding (purposeful but unintentional tanking), they will have plenty of time and opportunities to allow for a more organic progression for the young Primo. They do need to identify a young backup to Trae Young though, lest the other wings' development gets stunted. A trade for a talented young PG while giving up McDermott works somewhere? I dont know.

rjv
07-11-2022, 09:48 AM
pretty spot on grades. the player who so far looks the most like a legit NBA starter has been wesley. but, he will need time in the g league to get some work on how to respond when he gets to the rim. at least he can get to the rim with frequency because the same cannot be said for primo. i'm just thinking he is better off ball. and yes, maliki needs to learn how to get more involved. i don't think he was disengaged as much as he was lost. barlow shows promise for someone with such limited experience and days works hard. i'm not that impressed with jordan hall.

Ice009
07-11-2022, 09:51 AM
Primo does not look good. He looks slow, unathletic and I have hardly seen him get past any defender in either of these summer league games. To top all that off, his shot was off and his handles weren't great either. Was that a joke that the Spurs viewed him as their PG of the future?Please, please keep Tre Jones as he looks like Gary Payton next tot his guy.

Also, Blake Wesley is awesome. I love the way he's playing. I feel he should have gotten a foul call towards the end of the game where he was stripped towards the sideline. Not sure about the last play as they don't normally call it, but it seemed like he was fouled. I don't see why people are saying he's the one that needs to go to Austin when he's been by far the Spurs' Summer League best player so far.

I assume the Spurs play less games if they don't make the tournament at the end? I don't care about the losses, but just wanted to see them play more games, so I am upset with the loss if it means they end up playing less games.

spurraider21
07-11-2022, 09:55 AM
Even if we assume primo is a plus nba shooter, something which he has not demonstrated, i think its much more likely that Tre just develops a better jumper than primo developing literally everything else

Atl Spur
07-11-2022, 10:14 AM
Even if we assume primo is a plus nba shooter, something which he has not demonstrated, i think its much more likely that Tre just develops a better jumper than primo developing literally everything else

Sit back and enjoy summer league sir! Primo will be fine, the rookies will need time so be patient:)

spurraider21
07-11-2022, 10:16 AM
Sit back and enjoy summer league sir! Luka will be fine, the rookies will need time so be patient:)

Mnky
07-11-2022, 10:19 AM

Speaking of, I have no idea why people here are so down on Tre. Dude was a steal where we got him. Has done nothing but get better and be the only ACTUAL PG this team has had. Everyone else is a combo. Tre is an actual PG that makes his teammates better, plays good defense, and is reliable.

KingKev
07-11-2022, 10:24 AM
^ its redic the hate he was getting mid season because he has no 3point shot meanwhile he does so much else pretty damn well for a 2nd rounder learning the ropes.

rjv
07-11-2022, 10:25 AM
Speaking of, I have no idea why people here are so down on Tre. Dude was a steal where we got him. Has done nothing but get better and be the only ACTUAL PG this team has had. Everyone else is a combo. Tre is an actual PG that makes his teammates better, plays good defense, and is reliable.

tre will have to be the starter but my biggest concern is who will be the back-up if primo is a bust at the point and the spurs move him back to an off-guard position. will we have to sign another veteran? i think, ultimately, wesley can come in and play the back-up but that may not be until a couple of months into the season.

RC_Drunkford
07-11-2022, 10:28 AM
timvp do the Spurs really view Primo as a PG of the future? We need some updates here

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-11-2022, 11:11 AM
Still waiting to see Primo look like a legit NBA player....

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/80/46/98/804698589055a40e91e517a329f1dc0d.gif

wildbill2u
07-11-2022, 11:31 AM
It should be evident to everyone by now that Primo is Slo Mo 2.0. He doesn't have speed to break down a defender and didn't show any last season. He was constantly covered defensively as he tried to drive with no problem by his defender and often got caught down low with nowhere to go and no shot. I was surprised that he defended as well as he did, considering his lack of speed.

He drives me crazy with his limp-wristed flip pass that doesn't have enough speed or snap to it and is often picked off by a defender of his intended target. I suppose they can break him of that as a bad habit.

I believe he will have to be a catch and shoot guy on the perimeter but doesn't his shooting percentage of 36% last year (89th in the league) mean something after all???

I hope they give him a starting role this coming season so we can see if he has what it takes to be an effective player.

Mnky
07-11-2022, 11:39 AM
tre will have to be the starter but my biggest concern is who will be the back-up if primo is a bust at the point and the spurs move him back to an off-guard position. will we have to sign another veteran? i think, ultimately, wesley can come in and play the back-up but that may not be until a couple of months into the season.

They also still have Richardson. He is a combo guard but still originally a PG. His size allows him to play up to a SF. They also have Romeo as well who has a pretty bad luck of Injuries holding him back from getting any chance of developing. Both can run the 1. I'd like to see wesley get time with the spurs but don't know how likely it is they bring him up.

The Truth #6
07-11-2022, 11:53 AM
Primo and Atl Spur both will have a lot of work to do this season.

spurs10
07-11-2022, 12:05 PM
Thanks for this great write-up. I'm looking forward to tonight's game. Hopefully we see Primo bounce back and more of Wesley's strong play. Branham and Barlow will be fun to watch.

emanueldavidginobili
07-11-2022, 12:58 PM
I didn't expect Primo to dominate this summer league but dammit I expected him to improve some and he looks no different than last years SL. It's really concerning watching him last night not being able to take anyone off the dribble especially not even against NBA guards. Not sure what they're doing with his shot either, I know they were working on his landing last year but his shot looks so inconsistent and his free throws were way off. He needs to stop making jump passes and getting caught in the air all the time that's just basic stuff right there. It looks like he's trying to work on a million things all at once and it has his whole game out of wack.

I won't be surprised if Primo or Wesley sit tonight to get Branham some more looks.

siraulo23
07-11-2022, 01:12 PM
Primo's ball handling yikes

Doesnt seem like he's improved in that area at all

rjv
07-11-2022, 01:18 PM
They also still have Richardson. He is a combo guard but still originally a PG. His size allows him to play up to a SF. They also have Romeo as well who has a pretty bad luck of Injuries holding him back from getting any chance of developing. Both can run the 1. I'd like to see wesley get time with the spurs but don't know how likely it is they bring him up.

whereas i though wesley would be a g leaguer for the entirety of this season, i'm starting to think that maybe he just spends a month or so there. i forgot that richardson can play the point so he could do if the other josh continues to underwhelm at the point.

kht
07-11-2022, 01:30 PM
Primo looked legit last year. No reason why to overreact over some summer league guys in July lol.

timvp
07-11-2022, 03:03 PM
Thanks Timvp. I wouldn’t worry too much on Primo. I thought he was able to get to his position and shot, just that the ball wasn’t falling.Eh, not sure Primo is getting to his position, either, tbh. When he gets into the lane, more often than not he has no avenue to do anything.

Days is a joy to see. He’s Malik son finally arrived. The guy says he patterned his game around Draymond and PJ Tucker. Well it shows. For now he is the leading candidate for the 2nd two-way spot.Yeah, he's intriguing. A couple years ago, he'd be a tweener. Right now, though, he's basically the perfect size for a multipositional bench big.

timvp
07-11-2022, 03:06 PM

Yeah, his defensive upside is why he was such an exciting boom-or-bust candidate. He could very well not take the necessary leaps and become an inefficient gunner. But, man, if he figures it out and comes close to his ceiling, he'll be awesome.

timvp
07-11-2022, 03:10 PM
:lol op has to be trolling at this point… always with throwaway lines like “heady passes” when a player he likes has no redeeming qualities in the game he’s reviewing

Wait, since when does timvp like Primo, tbh? :lol

I don't hate him and I'm obviously rooting for him to succeed .......... but his lack of athleticism and/or size is why I thought he was a bad pick -- and these first two games show he's still a highly questionable athlete for his size and that open growth plate nonsense hasn't come to fruition.

timvp
07-11-2022, 03:19 PM
It's hard to ever say that coming to Las Vegas has been a sobering experience, but this has been.:lol

timvp do the Spurs really view Primo as a PG of the future? We need some updates hereThat's still the latest I've heard. Obviously, that may change if he keeps struggling in summer league.

I personally think it's extremely unlikely he's the PG of the future due to his physical limitations -- but I'd gladly be wrong. Great kid, by all accounts. Works hard. Sponsor friendly. Natural leader. It's just too bad he moves like he's Matt Bonner's son, tbh. He's 19 so there's still a chance for it to change -- but I was hoping to see more in this summer league.

I didn't expect Primo to dominate this summer league but dammit I expected him to improve some and he looks no different than last years SL.He looked better last year, if we're being honest.

It should be evident to everyone by now that Primo is Slo Mo 2.0. He doesn't have speed to break down a defender and didn't show any last season. He was constantly covered defensively as he tried to drive with no problem by his defender and often got caught down low with nowhere to go and no shot. I was surprised that he defended as well as he did, considering his lack of speed.

He drives me crazy with his limp-wristed flip pass that doesn't have enough speed or snap to it and is often picked off by a defender of his intended target. I suppose they can break him of that as a bad habit.

The one change to Primo's game I've noticed in summer league is that he's not longer making as many one-handed passes. Last season, I'd say like 90% of his passes when on the move were of the one-handed variety. Now, he's more fundamentally sound in that regard. But, yeah, it seems like defenses know the scouting report on him now and know he has the bad habit of still lobbing one-handed passes from time to time.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2022, 03:24 PM
Primo looked legit last year. No reason why to overreact over some summer league guys in July lol.

Primo looked nothing like a legit NBA player last year but we were grading on a curve and because he's 19 and he showed flashes it was completely fine. But by no means is Primo's production last year what I would consider NBA player level.

BackHome
07-11-2022, 03:48 PM
I like Primo but I really hate when the Spurs try their same bullshit - trying to put a square in a round whole - Primo is not and never will be a PG.

RC_Drunkford
07-11-2022, 03:52 PM
I like Primo but I really hate when Pop tries the same bullshit - trying to put a square in a round whole - Primo is not and never will be a PG.

FIFY

TD 21
07-11-2022, 04:18 PM
Yeah, his defensive upside is why he was such an exciting boom-or-bust candidate. He could very well not take the necessary leaps and become an inefficient gunner. But, man, if he figures it out and comes close to his ceiling, he'll be awesome.

I don't see how defensive upside in a 2/1 can make one an "exciting boom-or-bust" candidate considering the limited impact they can have on that side of the ball.

To me, the intrigue with him lies in whether he's going to be an inefficient gunner (more likely than not) or something more.

timvp
07-11-2022, 05:33 PM
I don't see how defensive upside in a 2/1 can make one an "exciting boom-or-bust" candidate considering the limited impact they can have on that side of the ball.

To me, the intrigue with him lies in whether he's going to be an inefficient gunner (more likely than not) or something more.

Meh, maybe it came out wrong, but Wesley being a possible strong defender in addition to his offensive ceiling makes him exciting.

For example, even if LW4 panned out as an ace scorer, his lack of defense was always going to put a cap on what he could become. A guard who isn't a defensive liability who can also be a go-to scorer in a perfect world? Yeah, that'd be great.

spurraider21
07-11-2022, 06:20 PM
Wait, since when does timvp like Primo, tbh? :lol

I don't hate him and I'm obviously rooting for him to succeed .......... but his lack of athleticism and/or size is why I thought he was a bad pick -- and these first two games show he's still a highly questionable athlete for his size and that open growth plate nonsense hasn't come to fruition.
brah i'm just surprised you didnt throw in a meaningless platitude like "he looks like he knew what he was doing out there" or something unquantifiable like "his team defense and rotations were ok"