PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs vs. Grizzlies - Summer League Game #5

timvp
07-16-2022, 08:55 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san-antonio-spurs-vs-memphis-grizzlies-summer-league-game-5/

Wait, the Spurs are allowed to win games? Tbh?

Mr. Body
07-16-2022, 09:04 PM
The last Spurs victory for this calendar year.

GAustex
07-16-2022, 09:06 PM
Thanks it’s always fun to read your assessments.

spurs1990
07-16-2022, 09:40 PM
2-17 again for Wesley? Should we be worried

lefty20
07-16-2022, 09:45 PM

Don't we kinda want this though?

I don't mean the poor shooting %, that's obviously gotta get better. But we should be happy that he doesnt start pouting with his shoulders hunched down and start passing up possible good looks after getting off to a poor shooting start. Cuz we've had one of those before and they're frustrating af to watch.

JeffDuncan
07-17-2022, 12:32 AM

Only a little bit. His idea of good shot selection is “whenever I touch the ball.” Needs a lot of coaching.

Robz4000
07-17-2022, 02:03 AM
Wesley will be fine imo. As has been said, he's coming from a team where he had to make things happen (had a >32% usage with Notre Dame iirc). The fact he's shown the ability to play PG is an unexpected surprise.

heyheymymy
07-17-2022, 02:05 AM
Someone else here was saying it but Blake Wesley shot poorly however look at his 5 ast / 0 turnover and 2 stl & 1 blk / 0 fouls ratios. Very dank performance there.

Dejounte
07-17-2022, 02:17 AM
Branham’s catch and shoot is extremely quick. It’s like a half second gather and then he throws it up. Reminds me of Klay. I don’t think it looked like that in college?? If he changed that since then, then this dude is a fast learner. Reminds me of what Kawhi did every offseason when he added something new to his game. When I researched Branham, it sounded like he owes a lot of his success to his trainer.

a lot of Wes’s shots went in and out. It happens. He still looks for his teammates. He does everything a PG does. It’s only going to get better. He’ll learn his spots. He has stretches where he makes really good reads.

Dejounte
07-17-2022, 02:33 AM
By far the most entertaining shot to me is the fadeaway. The fact that Branham can do that AND hit 3’s is exciting as hell. Only the top players have both.

https://youtu.be/_pQ_U2TpAgk

Offense may be fun again with the Spurs.

RC_Drunkford
07-17-2022, 07:30 AM
the fact that Branham has such a polished game and just turned 19 2 months ago.... This guy will be a monster by the time he's 22

Maddog
07-17-2022, 07:44 AM
Branham’s catch and shoot is extremely quick. It’s like a half second gather and then he throws it up. Reminds me of Klay. I don’t think it looked like that in college?? If he changed that since then, then this dude is a fast learner. Reminds me of what Kawhi did every offseason when he added something new to his game. When I researched Branham, it sounded like he owes a lot of his success to his trainer.

a lot of Wes’s shots went in and out. It happens. He still looks for his teammates. He does everything a PG does. It’s only going to get better. He’ll learn his spots. He has stretches where he makes really good reads.

The first time I saw Branham do that I wasn't even sure he was shooting.

Wes- well if he could hit shots consistently he would've gone in the top 10. I thought a few of the shots were at the end of the shot cycle where he was trying to make something happen.
On the plus side he plays D, no turnovers while essentially playing point. Has a lot better court vision than I thought. Seems to be able to get a shot off at will and doesn't mope as pointed out by lefty20.
He just oozes potential, but already looks playable- pretty damn good for a 25th pick.

Seventyniner
07-17-2022, 09:15 AM
By far the most entertaining shot to me is the fadeaway. The fact that Branham can do that AND hit 3’s is exciting as hell. Only the top players have both.

https://youtu.be/_pQ_U2TpAgk

Offense may be fun again with the Spurs.

Nice vid. :bobo

His release looks pretty low (head height or so, maybe even chin height?) but quite fast. He also rattled in 4 threes in that video. Were the rims there a bit loose, does he have some sidespin on his shot, or something else?

Dejounte
07-17-2022, 09:18 AM
Nice vid. :bobo

His release looks pretty low (head height or so, maybe even chin height?) but quite fast. He also rattled in 4 threes in that video. Were the rims there a bit loose, does he have some sidespin on his shot, or something else?

Good observation. A LOT of shots were rattling in and out that night, including many of Wesley’s.

Drom John
07-21-2022, 02:53 PM
timvp I request that y'all add bylines to home page articles to aid the decision to open.

Atl Spur
07-21-2022, 03:33 PM
The last Spurs victory for this calendar year.

Hell naw!! Lol

Atl Spur
07-21-2022, 03:38 PM
Whoa……he’s gonna be a problem!

Proxy
07-21-2022, 05:11 PM
wesley is the raw one with tons of potential, lets not start cutting our wrists

The Truth #6
07-21-2022, 06:25 PM
Not totally serious, but I see some Willie Anderson in Branham. Skinny. Silky touch. Deceptive athleticism. Turnaround jumper is money for him. I remember Willy Anderson’s very first game as a rookie I think he put up something like 28 points on the Lakers and after that there was no doubt he was going to be a player. Course I don’t expect that for Branham but it sure would be awesome if he or one of the other two rookies come strong right out of the gate.

KingKev
07-21-2022, 07:04 PM
Not totally serious, but I see some Willie Anderson in Branham. Skinny. Silky touch. Deceptive athleticism. Turnaround jumper is money for him. I remember Willy Anderson’s very first game as a rookie I think he put up something like 28 points on the Lakers and after that there was no doubt he was going to be a player. Course I don’t expect that for Branham but it sure would be awesome if he or one of the other two rookies come strong right out of the gate.

Those early David Robinson Spurs teams were quietly stacked.

I see Derek Anderson in Branham.

The Truth #6
07-21-2022, 07:41 PM
Those early David Robinson Spurs teams were quietly stacked.

I see Derek Anderson in Branham.

I would love to see a homeless man’s George Gervin in there somewhere. If only he could develop a finger roll, lol