PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Elton Brand

timvp
04-03-2003, 02:03 AM
http://espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/3324.jpghttp://espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/nba/med/trans/lac.GIF

Name: Elton Brand
Height: 6-8
Weight: 265 lbs.
Pos: PF
Born: March 11, 1979, Peekskill, New York
Drafted: 1999, 1st round, 1st pick by Bulls
College: Duke

Elton Brand is a restricted free agent this summer. Rumor has it that he'll sign a one-year contract and wait a year for his big pay day.

But I think the Spurs have a chance to steal him from the Clippers. If they offer him the MAX, they may be able to outbid the Clippers. I doubt Sterling will match a MAX offer for Brand, so this could be a good opportunity for the Spurs.

Brand would be a great addition for the Spurs. He is the type of player that will get you 20 points and 10 rebounds without demanding the ball too much. He's a good shotblocker and is getting better defensively.

The only drawbacks are he'd force Duncan to play center and could also get in Duncan's way offensively. But since Duncan changed his game to accomodate Robinson, he'd do the same for Brand.

I think it would take the MAX to get him and I think he's worth it.

genghisrex
04-03-2003, 02:17 AM
I'd actually rather have Brand next to TD than O'Neal -- either way I think Tim's going to be playing a lot of center. Elton seems like he'd be more willing to defer to Duncan and take on the major defensive load, while I get the impression that Jermaine might defer somewhat, but still demand a certain number of touches. Of course, I could be completely wrong about O'Neal and I'm sure Pop/RC have or will get a better read on him than me.

Since he's restricted, though, I'd pursue Brand after O'Neal and Kidd unless we're talking sign-and-trade with the Clips; I'd hate to waste 15 days of free agency unless the other big guns are already gone.

ZStomp
04-03-2003, 02:31 AM
My choices: (in order)
a. J O'neal
b. E Brand
c. J Kidd

timvp
04-03-2003, 02:57 AM
I agree with Genghis somewhat that Brand is a great fit next to Duncan. Brand is more of a garbage scorer, which would keep the offensive focus on Duncan.

The only downside is Brand is close to Rose's size, so the Spurs would become a smallish team overnight.

Big Syke
04-03-2003, 03:39 AM
Two questions.

1) Is it possible to get Brand or is he going to wait until next season?

2) How tall is he? Can he play center?

KoriEllis
04-03-2003, 04:04 AM
Brand will probably sign one year with the Clips and then hold out for next year.

Brand's height debatable. :lol I think he's 6-foot-7 (or a little less). timvp tries to say that he's 6-foot-4 1/2.

So he's not going to play center. But I think he'd be a perfect compliment to Duncan. I don't think he's going to be available though.

Patrick Davis
04-03-2003, 04:25 AM
He is short and stout. No way he play center, and no way he plays sf. I also think Sterling might really screw Brand this season. offer him a small amount of money, he tries to go elsewhere, sterling signs him for a few more years. Sucks to be brand, cept for all the money he'll make in a few years.

spurster
04-03-2003, 12:04 PM
If he wasn't a restricted FA, Brand would be number 1 on my list.

The Spurs could offer a short-term MAX deal with a player option, but I think no one wants to wait two weeks for Sterling to possibly screw things up.

Jimcs50
04-03-2003, 12:09 PM
We have a center in TD, we need a PF too. Brand is better than you think. He can block shots, rebound and score 20 a game if needed. I prefer O'Neil, but he is our second choice I think.

Big Syke
04-03-2003, 04:31 PM
Brand's height debatable. I think he's 6-foot-7 (or a little less). timvp tries to say that he's 6-foot-4 1/2.

Damn, he's shorter than Manu?:wtf

Patrick Davis
04-03-2003, 04:37 PM
I really don't think Tim wants to play Center all game. If you have a guy like O'neal he can body up the center early in the game, and Duncan will take them later. Brand always is on the PF.

KoriEllis
04-03-2003, 05:03 PM
Tim plays center or "post" the majority of the time already. Brand's game is perfect compliment to Duncan.

And, contrary to what my husband says, Brand is not 6-foot-4 1/2.

I wish Brand were unrestricted. To me, he's the best FA for the Spurs to pick up.

But I'll settle for Kidd or O'Neal. :smokin2

Patrick Davis
04-03-2003, 05:07 PM
But, will brand add that Robinson factor. I don't think his help defense will be quite as good considring he is a midget. We need someone who can play more like Dave.

KoriEllis
04-03-2003, 05:09 PM
The complexion of this team is completely changed. IMO, I don't think they need a Robinson clone to be successful. I think they need a big man who can post up, run, block shots and adequately defend.

Patrick Davis
04-03-2003, 05:13 PM
I'm just old school. I'm all about D Rob. Brand would fit, but I still think he is too small. But its all for not, he's gonna sign a one year with the Clips.

timvp
04-03-2003, 05:14 PM
I like what Brand gives you. Even though he's short for a power forward (I saw Corey Maggette measure him at 6'4 1/2 on ESPN during a live taping), he is a great shotblocker. I love the fact that he can score without feeding him the ball. He'll get you those Rose type points. Duncan, Brand and Rose would form an awesome bigman group for years to come.

genghisrex
04-03-2003, 05:16 PM
I'm not sure that I buy that Brand's shorter than listed. I've looked into this before and articles from the 1999 draft just don't back it up.

From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (June 1999) (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/buck/jun99/99draftbios.asp):
Elton Brand basically cemented his spot as the top pick when he measured 6-8 at the Chicago pre-draft camp. He has a great wing span and was the collegiate player of the year last season.

From AP (June 30, 1999) (http://espn.go.com/nba/draft99/news/1999/990630/01332510.html):
Initial concerns about his height were erased when he measured just over 6-8 without his sneakers. His arm span is huge; he's got a vertical reach of over nine feet, and his horizontal span is 7-5½. At 260 pounds, he can play defense with the best of them, but he has soft hands, too.

From the Gaston Gazette (NC) (June 23, 1999) (http://www.gazettearchives.com/hornets1999/_disc6/0000001b.htm):
Elton Brand is 6-foot-8-inches tall — 6-9 in sneakers.

Really.

Seriously.

Stop snickering.

Despite the rash of rumors to the contrary that momentarily threatened to topple the former Duke star from the upper echelon of the first round of the NBA draft, the truth is finally out there.

To be safe, Charlotte measured him three times during Tuesday’s workout at the Hornets’ Training Facility.

Just to cover all bases, of course.

"It seems like earlier I was shrinking everyday," said Brand with his trademark grin. "I’m back to 6-8 — 6-9 with sneakers on. I got my height back somehow."

In my research, I've found some articles before the Chicago Pre-Draft camp that question his height, but everything after late June 1999 lists him at 6'8".

KoriEllis
04-03-2003, 05:19 PM
I had Clippers season tickets for a couple years. Though I don't believe he's 6-foot-4 1/2 -- I don't believe that he's 6-foot-8 either.

I stood next to him in the parking lot of Staples Center in 2001. By my best assessment (which is damn good :smokin ), he's about 6-foot-6 1/2.

timvp
04-03-2003, 05:21 PM
I'm just saying that I was watching a show with Corey Maggette and Elton Brand that was taped before the draft in which Maggette was handed a tape measure and measured Brand at 6'4 1/2.

Plus if you look at Rose and Brand next to each other, they are close to the same size.

I would guess that his actual height is around 6'6, but with huge wingspan and hands make up for the difference. His size is rarely a burden.

baseline bum
04-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Brand would be my first choice if there was any way of getting him. He's a monster on the offensive glass and a sick defender. He gets the job done going against the elite of the league in Duncan, Garnett, Webber, Nowitzki, R. Wallace, Malone, and Stoudemire almost every night. His consistency is on par with Duncan's. His work ethic and hustle is on par with Rose's.

He's the anti-Clipper, and I hate to see his game being wasted on an organization that doesn't care to be competitive. He's like the complement of Olowokandi (in set-theoretic terms ;)).

timvp
04-03-2003, 09:40 PM
Brand would be my first choice if there was any way of getting him.

Brand > Kidd?

baseline bum
04-03-2003, 09:49 PM
The main thing is Brand is a star who's 24 and would leave the Spurs a chance to pick up a very good bench player also. I usually don't mention him though because I can't see even the Clippers letting him walk for nothing.

timvp
04-03-2003, 09:52 PM
Yes, I agree that Brand would be an awesome fit.

I was just asking you that, if all things were equal, would you rather add Brand than Kidd?

In that scenario, I think it would be hard to turn down Brand.

baseline bum
04-03-2003, 10:01 PM
It's a tough call. I don't know what you mean by all things being equal...

like if they were the same age?
-or- in general for any team, not just the Spurs?

In those cases I'd take Kidd.

timvp
04-03-2003, 10:03 PM
I mean, if it were possible to sign either one this season to the Spurs, then who would you pick?

baseline bum
04-03-2003, 10:07 PM
oh... I'd probably take Brand.

However, I think it's a non-issue because I can't see anyone being stupid enough to let him walk for nothing.

I think of adding Brand in the same light as I think of adding Kobe Bryant or Ben Wallace - something beautiful in theory with no chance of ever happening.

Big Syke
04-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Brand has a 7'5 wingspan? Even if he's 6'8 that is still awesome. He for sure isn't related to Kevin Willis I know that :rollin

SequSpur
04-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Sign him up

Patrick Davis
04-04-2003, 05:18 AM
I think Brand would fit, simply cause he is a better Malik Rose. But I would still rather have O'Neal, and Brand is in Clipperland for one more year.

Big Syke
04-04-2003, 04:30 PM
I don't understand why everyone thinks Brand is so hard to get. I mean why would it be some hard to imagine that the Spurs offer him the MAX and Sterling is too cheap to match it? This seems like a good chance of happening to me. Where am I wrong?

genghisrex
04-04-2003, 04:46 PM
Big Syke, the problem is that no matter how cheap Sterling is, he has to pay at least 75% of the cap every year according to the CBA. If the player salaries don't add up to 75% of the cap, he still has to make up the difference.

So... Seeing as how Brand appears to be a very safe bet -- i.e. he's going to give you 20/10, he's a solid citizen, a popular player, good team guy, etc. -- Sterling might be willing to match a max offer. As long as he's paying the money, he may as well be smart and pay it to someone who will draw fans and not cause trouble, right?

Well, with Sterling you never know, but Brand's too risky to be the primary target unless the Spurs can work out a sign-and-trade.

Big Syke
04-04-2003, 04:50 PM
I agree that Sterling should match a max offer but I don't think he will ... he wouldn't want to pay the ending years of that contract. He'll find a way to get to 75% ... he always does. I think we are overrating Sterlings smartness again. I bet he doesn't match a max offer.

genghisrex
04-04-2003, 05:00 PM
Of course he'll find a way to pay 75%. He has to. Maybe you're right and Sterling won't match. That still doesn't change the fact that the Clippers would have 15 days to decide and in the mean time, guys like Kidd or O'Neal could go off the market. It's too big a risk unless Pop/RC absolutely don't want Kidd and/or O'Neal anyway.

If we strike out on Kidd and O'Neal then it might be worth rolling the dice on an offer to Brand, but rumor has it that Elton doesn't want to take the chance of being stranded on the Clips for 6 years.

Patrick Davis
04-04-2003, 05:35 PM
Brand isn't risking playing 3 more years in Clipperland. He will sign a one year deal. Otherwise he could be stuck in LA for much longer, and no body wants that.

LiLRoCkBaLLa21
04-17-2003, 05:29 AM
Get Brand...he has been a awesome 20/10 player ever since his first year with the Bulls, SA would have the best inside game in the L, also if TP2 and SJax stepped it up next year (if we resign SJax) we'd be fuken awesome.

Jerm hit his strides after 2 seasons (finally i knew he would) after gettin out of Ptown, but IMO makes not so great decisions when he comes down 2 the wire.

Big Syke
04-18-2003, 12:33 AM
Brand would be awesome. He's like ordering Malik Rose at Mcdonalds but going with the SUPER SIZE.