PDA

View Full Version : Early Spurs Memories

Olberding
07-24-2022, 08:41 PM
When the Spurs moved to San Antonio as an ABA team with the red-white-and-blue basketball, I had a friend who lived across the street from me. His mother worked for a local San Antonio businessman who was a part owner of the Spurs. At the time, the owners' section in the Hemisfair Arena was simply a roped-off area of seats at mid-court and maybe a dozen rows up. Occasionally, the part owner would give me and my friend his tickets and we could sit in the owner's section to watch a game as long as we promised to behave. We must have been early teenagers at the time. The Spurs mostly had players that I suspect would have been unable to play in the NBA of today (e.g., Mark Olberding, Swen Nater, Billy Paultz [the Whopper], Coby Dietrich, Mike Gale, Louie Dampier). I was at a couple of games where George Gervin made some crazy shots and hardly missed. I also saw some clutch performances by James Silas. I think most people know George Gervin was a great scorer, but I think many don't know what James Silas [Captain Late] was probably a more clutch shooter at the ending of games.

One of my earliest memories away from the Hemisfair Arena was sitting on the front porch of the McFarlin Tennis Center on San Pedro Avenue when George Gervin jumped over the hand railing and ran toward the parking lot. I asked the attendants inside what was up and they said he came in looking for a tennis racket, but his hands were too big for the largest handle they had in stock--his fingers wrapped all the way around the handle and overlapped on his thumb.

rogcl1
07-24-2022, 09:52 PM
When the Spurs moved to San Antonio as an ABA team with the red-white-and-blue basketball, I had a friend who lived across the street from me. His mother worked for a local San Antonio businessman who was a part owner of the Spurs. At the time, the owners' section in the Hemisfair Arena was simply a roped-off area of seats at mid-court and maybe a dozen rows up. Occasionally, the part owner would give me and my friend his tickets and we could sit in the owner's section to watch a game as long as we promised to behave. We must have been early teenagers at the time. The Spurs mostly had players that I suspect would have been unable to play in the NBA of today (e.g., Mark Olberding, Swen Nater, Billy Paultz [the Whopper], Coby Dietrich, Mike Gale, Louie Dampier). I was at a couple of games where George Gervin made some crazy shots and hardly missed. I also saw some clutch performances by James Silas. I think most people know George Gervin was a great scorer, but I think many don't know what James Silas [Captain Late] was probably a more clutch shooter at the ending of games.

One of my earliest memories away from the Hemisfair Arena was sitting on the front porch of the McFarlin Tennis Center on San Pedro Avenue when George Gervin jumped over the hand railing and ran toward the parking lot. I asked the attendants inside what was up and they said he came in looking for a tennis racket, but his hands were too big for the largest handle they had in stock--his fingers wrapped all the way around the handle and overlapped on his thumb.
Paultz came in when Nater left.
Olberding came I believe in the third year and was no scrub. Pretty athletic bruiser type. The team of Silas, Gervin, Olberding, Kenon and Paultz was a very good basketball team and except for a couple of questionable calls in the 1979 eastern conference finals would have made it to the NBA finals.

rogcl1
07-24-2022, 10:01 PM
Larry Kenon was also a very good player. And of course Silas was never the same after the knee injury. In the early years we would get two dollar tickets and move down. When they put the good team together thru the mid to late seventies, we would buy seven dollar tickets and sit in the first couple of rows right behind the basket. Great fun.

GAustex
07-24-2022, 10:07 PM
I was at the first Spurs game. Saw all the home games the first two years, I was the popcorn peanuts kid-with the tray and the paper hat. I was also a gym rat and had some game for a scrawny kid.

Early team was OK but they could not match Kentucky and Indy (good lord i hated Louis Dampier and George McGinnis and Dan Issl and that giant Gilmore-oh and Dr J flying around)
I rooted for Silas, Bird Averette, George Karl, Rich Jones, Goo and Coby. Nissalke was the coach. Boy howdy things turned around when somehow the Spurs got Gervin mid season or so and then Nater.
The Baseline Bums were the real deal
The Hemisphere was at the place to be
Halcyon days for me for sure

baseline bum
07-24-2022, 10:08 PM
When the Spurs moved to San Antonio as an ABA team with the red-white-and-blue basketball, I had a friend who lived across the street from me...

I have posted this before, but one of my early memories was rebounding the ball for Mark Olberding and a teammate while they were shooting around before a game after the Spurs traded him, back when you could go into Hemisfair Arena at 4:00 for a 7:30 game. He and my dad were talking and Mark said he missed all the good Mexican pussy in San Antonio. To which his teammate said come on there's a kid here, to which Mark looked at me and said it's ok, he likes Mexican pussy too. He wasn't wrong. :lol

Had to post that when I saw your usename.

rogcl1
07-24-2022, 10:15 PM
It brings back memories to hear the old tales from the past. And of course there was the spurs own " Dancing Harry".

SPURt
07-24-2022, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the stories! I wish I could’ve seen the Gervin/Silas teams. My first in person game was David Robinson’s first game where he mauled the LA Lakers. David went for 23 pts and 17 boards. I guess it was Sean’s first game too, he went for 16 pts. To the older fans, what was it like being a fan after Gervin and before D Rob? Was there any optimism? Was Alvin Robertson popular in SA? Are there any parallels between Alvin’s Spurs and the Spurs we’re gonna see this year?

rogcl1
07-24-2022, 10:30 PM
And of course i don't think those seven dollar tickets lasted into the NBA era but that first year in the NBA i would get standing room only and stand in the aisles to see some of the best NBA teams before the fire marshall cracked down.

rogcl1
07-24-2022, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the stories! I wish I could’ve seen the Gervin/Silas teams. My first in person game was David Robinson’s first game where he mauled the LA Lakers. David went for 23 pts and 17 boards. I guess it was Sean’s first game too, he went for 16 pts. To the older fans, what was it like being a fan after Gervin and before D Rob? Was there any optimism? Was Alvin Robertson popular in SA? Are there any parallels between Alvin’s Spurs and the Spurs we’re gonna see this year?

I myself was involved in a very time consuming job and did not get to go near as much, but there was some tough years. No message boards and all that so it was different in that sense.

rogcl1
07-24-2022, 10:59 PM
I was at the first Spurs game. Saw all the home games the first two years, I was the popcorn peanuts kid-with the tray and the paper hat. I was also a gym rat and had some game for a scrawny kid.

Early team was OK but they could not match Kentucky and Indy (good lord i hated Louis Dampier and George McGinnis and Dan Issl and that giant Gilmore-oh and Dr J flying around)
I rooted for Silas, Bird Averette, George Karl, Rich Jones, Goo and Coby. Nissalke was the coach. Boy howdy things turned around when somehow the Spurs got Gervin mid season or so and then Nater.
The Baseline Bums were the real deal
The Hemisphere was at the place to be
Halcyon days for me for sure

Good story. We were college kids .My friends and I also saw the first game. McGinnis was a man and that Kentucky team was tough. Young Julius Erving was a freak.

rogcl1
07-24-2022, 11:07 PM

Robertson did not have much help. He wasn't a pure scorer but could play defense and good all around player. An example of the times was I believe was maybe in 1985 the The Spurs drafted Alfredrick Hughes with the 13th or 14th pick and he lasted one year in the league. Can you imagine SpursTalk on that happening today. I believe this years team is focused more on the youth and future prospects than those times. But again, I was very busy.

baseline bum
07-24-2022, 11:10 PM
And of course i don't think those seven dollar tickets lasted into the NBA era but that first year in the NBA i would get standing room only and stand in the aisles to see some of the best NBA teams before the fire marshall cracked down.

One year in the late 80s the Bums' tickets were $7.50 a game, it was unreal to get seats that good that cheap. I think it was probably 87-88 right after winning the draft lottery for David.

rogcl1
07-24-2022, 11:14 PM
One year in the late 80s the Bums' tickets were $7.50 a game, it was unreal to get seats that good that cheap. I think it was probably 87-88 right after winning the draft lottery for David.

The time runs together for me a bit, but I know we got to see some fun basketball with really good seats for really cheap, even for that time.

baseline bum
07-24-2022, 11:20 PM

That 85-86 season was depressing after Johnny Moore got sick and almost died, and then Alfredrik Hughes was the bust of all busts. I remember seeing people wearing bags on their heads like Clipper fans. Alvin was loved, people were furious when the Spurs traded him for Terry Cummings because we had been waiting two years to see David and Alvin together. Of course it ended up being an amazing trade with all the crap going on in Alvin's personal life at the time. None of us knew that at the time. I don't think there is anyone on this current team half as talented as Alvin, dude was like prime Ron Artest with a better offensive touch. Alvin was a fucking wicked player and it kills me how his career went out of control in the early 90s.

baseline bum
07-24-2022, 11:24 PM
Robertson did not have much help. He wasn't a pure scorer but could play defense and good all around player. An example of the times was I believe was maybe in 1985 the The Spurs drafted Alfredrick Hughes with the 13th or 14th pick and he lasted one year in the league. Can you imagine SpursTalk on that happening today. I believe this years team is focused more on the youth and future prospects than those times. But again, I was very busy.

One pick after Karl Malone. :lmao

Didn't Rick Barry say something like 'who spiked the nachos in San Antonio' after that pick? :lol

baseline bum
07-24-2022, 11:29 PM
For people really old school, when did George Valle start waving that Texas flag at the games? I have a bunch of old Spurs games but the oldest one I could spot him on camera was I think 79. That dude could make a hell of brisket, even the players would show up when he was doing a BBQ for the Bums. RIP Big George. He also used to be a poster here years ago.

baseline bum
07-24-2022, 11:36 PM
Although not a heavy poster by any means.

rogcl1
07-24-2022, 11:54 PM
One pick after Karl Malone. :lmao

. Didn't Rick Barry say something like 'who spiked the nachos in San Antonio' after that pick? :lol

Actually I do remember that and the bags. I can't place the flag waving time specifically. Moore was heartbreaking. I played in a benefit game maybe around 1990 against some of the old Spurs and Moore was one of them. Once I think I tried to maybe steal the ball from him and he gave me a look like you really think you can do that?
I did receive gratification when shooting a free throw(I did have really good form) and after making it with good form he looked at me with a look and then gave a nod of acknowledgement. Made my day. Thanks to all for the trip down memory lane.

SPURt
07-25-2022, 12:42 AM
That 85-86 season was depressing after Johnny Moore got sick and almost died, and then Alfredrik Hughes was the bust of all busts. I remember seeing people wearing bags on their heads like Clipper fans. Alvin was loved, people were furious when the Spurs traded him for Terry Cummings because we had been waiting two years to see David and Alvin together. Of course it ended up being an amazing trade with all the crap going on in Alvin's personal life at the time. None of us knew that at the time. I don't think there is anyone on this current team half as talented as Alvin, dude was like prime Ron Artest with a better offensive touch. Alvin was a fucking wicked player and it kills me how his career went out of control in the early 90s.
Defensively, Alvin + D Rob would’ve been freakish. Terry Cummings was a great player, former rookie of the year and an all star. I can see why people were upset, but both players fell off a cliff a few seasons later. The they got Rod MFing Strickland to play point. David and Sean’s rookie season turned out to be a season to remember ;) Shout out to Willie Anderson too.

baseline bum
07-25-2022, 05:39 AM
Defensively, Alvin + D Rob would’ve been freakish. Terry Cummings was a great player, former rookie of the year and an all star. I can see why people were upset, but both players fell off a cliff a few seasons later. The they got Rod MFing Strickland to play point. David and Sean’s rookie season turned out to be a season to remember ;) Shout out to Willie Anderson too.

TC blew his knee out in a pickup game right after Red McCombs was too cheap to pay Barkley and didn't trade TC and Willie Anderson for Charles when that deal was on the table. Then let Strickland walk for nothing to be replaced by scrub ass Del Negro, Negele Knight, and Chris Whitney. Basically wasted David's prime, thanks Red.

bigfan
07-25-2022, 09:57 AM
I started going in 83 and did get to see "The Whopper" play during his second stint with the Spurs. I still think the best guys not named Gervin in that era were Johnny Moore and the great Mike Mitchell. Sadly both are gone now. Best part about back then was after the first quarter you could move down and sit in the empty expensive seats. Oh yeah, "Volver" at the end of the 3rd quarter! Also, letting Strickland walk was a huge mistake, that guy may have been a jerk but he was a damn fine player when he was here.

KingKev
07-25-2022, 12:01 PM
Feb 28, 1993. Spurs vs Magic.

I was 7 and was a Shaq fan growing up just outside of Toronto. We had no televised NBA until after the Super Bowl and we would still get 1-2 Sunday games via NBA on NBC at the time.

Robinson went head to head with Shaq that game and outplayed him in a Spurs win and I jumped ship to become a Spurs fan.

in grade School I was Spurs nuts. All I rocked was Spurs gear. The memorabilia I have from those days is insane. Spending paper route money and other dough I made hustling to buy Spurs shit from 1-800 numbers out of SLAM magazine.

1999 in the 8th grade my dad took me to SA to see game one of the NBA finals. He was a baggage handler so he had flight privileges and we scalped 35 dollar tickets basically behind the fucking curtain in the nosebleeds at the Alamo Dome.

Saw David Robinson and Malik Rose on a balcony of a hotel on the riverwalk the next day while doing to the boat tour. In those days they must’ve stayed in hotels even at home during the playoffs to sty locked in.

rogcl1
07-25-2022, 01:12 PM
TC blew his knee out in a pickup game right after Red McCombs was too cheap to pay Barkley and didn't trade TC and Willie Anderson for Charles when that deal was on the table. Then let Strickland walk for nothing to be replaced by scrub ass Del Negro, Negele Knight, and Chris Whitney. Basically wasted David's prime, thanks Red.

Red also brought us Tarkanian and Sweet Pea Daniels.

rogcl1
07-25-2022, 01:13 PM
I started going in 83 and did get to see "The Whopper" play during his second stint with the Spurs. I still think the best guys not named Gervin in that era were Johnny Moore and the great Mike Mitchell. Sadly both are gone now. Best part about back then was after the first quarter you could move down and sit in the empty expensive seats. Oh yeah, "Volver" at the end of the 3rd quarter! Also, letting Strickland walk was a huge mistake, that guy may have been a jerk but he was a damn fine player when he was here.

Moore and Mitchel were both good players.

Twisted_Dawg
07-25-2022, 01:24 PM
In 1973 the cheapest seats were $3.00 which I think we're the green seats up high behind the backboard. I know because we use to buy them and then go down to the red seats which were the most expensive. Now when my Godfather Pete Anton started working the media door, he'd let us in free. On a goodnight there were 6000-7500 fans in that 10,124 seat arena.

baseline bum
07-25-2022, 02:05 PM

Man got scared a second, thought Johnny died and I never heard from your post. I'd have been fine with losing Strickland if they at least got someone useful to team with David for him but no, nothing whatsoever.

KingKev
07-25-2022, 02:10 PM
Man got scared a second, thought Johnny died and I never heard from your post. I'd have been fine with losing Strickland if they at least got someone useful to team with David for him but no, nothing whatsoever.

Point Gods airs next weekend on Showtime. High quality documentary on NYC PGs like Strick, Starbury, Rafer, Shamgod, Kenny Anderson.

bigfan
07-25-2022, 03:54 PM
Two other great memories: I was there the night the Spurs beat the Lakers twice (!) and was lucky enough to sit near the hoop the first time Akeem Olaguwon played us and Artis giving him an NBA education. I loved Artis as a Spur.

GAustex
07-25-2022, 04:12 PM
Mr Gilmore is a very large man

baseline bum
07-25-2022, 04:46 PM
Two other great memories: I was there the night the Spurs beat the Lakers twice (!) and was lucky enough to sit near the hoop the first time Akeem Olaguwon played us and Artis giving him an NBA education. I loved Artis as a Spur.

I got to see Moses Malone play a game from the floor right by the basket and holy shit he was a bad man. Game looked so much more physical from there than any place I had ever watched a game. Like they always say it's war in the paint but it really looked like that watching Malone battle for position and just beat the shit out of everyone while they all beat the shit out of him. And then watching David courtside, holy shit didn't look human at all the speed and athleticism this guy had when you saw it right up close. There is nothing that compares to sitting on the court when a superstar is playing.

baseline bum
07-25-2022, 04:46 PM
fcking dbl post

baseline bum
07-25-2022, 04:50 PM

Artis was the ultimate gentle giant off the floor. But watching how competitive he was and seeing him spike the ball off various Bums' faces when they'd play volleyball at the cookouts makes me think he must have been a really nasty guy to deal with in an NBA game. :lol

SPURt
07-25-2022, 06:27 PM
Artis was the ultimate gentle giant off the floor. But watching how competitive he was and seeing him spike the ball off various Bums' faces when they'd play volleyball at the cookouts makes me think he must have been a really nasty guy to deal with in an NBA game. :lol
I wish I could’ve been court side enough to hear players talk. Did you still get seats like that through the Timmy years? Any good stories you have from being close enough to hear players talk?

Biggems
07-25-2022, 06:31 PM
I remember seeing the Mavs, Nuggets, and Blazers at Hemisphere. I remember sitting behind the pole once, that sucked, but I was just a kid. According to my Dad and brothers, when I was an infant and toddler we used to sit damn near courtside in the ABA days.

I got to see David outplay Hakeem and Ewing live. I got to see the Cavs twice, but both times LeChoke was out. I got to see Philly, but I think Iverson was injured. I got to see the Pacers. My bro and I went to game 1 of the Finals against the Nets. I saw us play the Mavs, the game where Dirk ran into his own man twice, fell down and they called the foul on Bruce. Also, when he did one of his fade aways and fell down, Bruce was not even close to him, but was whistled for the foul. I already couldn't stand the guy, but that night cemented my hatred for Dirk. Oh and I saw the Jazz when they beat us in the playoffs and had to watch Stockton and Malone celebrate. I think I saw the Bucks once. Other than that, I cannot remember the other games I went to.

The one that got away was the Lakers. My little sis had Spurs Lakers tickets back when we had the twin towers and the Lakers had Shaq and Kobe. She gave them away without asking me or my other bro even....not even a call or text to ask us. I am still bitter about that one.

I never got to see Michael or Isaih live, so that was a bummer.

baseline bum
07-25-2022, 06:51 PM
I wish I could’ve been court side enough to hear players talk. Did you still get seats like that through the Timmy years? Any good stories you have from being close enough to hear players talk?

Nah I lived in LA for most of Tim's prime and courtside got super expensive anyways. One time I won a contest to sit courtside and another my doctor gave my dad his tickets because he was going to be out of town. Plus after trading Ice the team was so bad you could usually just go sit courtside in the fourth quarter. My dad got this great shot of Barkley doing a two hand jam when we snuck to the courtside seats and then gave Charles a print of it the next year the Sixers came to town. My dad probably should have sold that photo to Fleer for a basketball card.

Back in the 80s you had such access to the players. You could show up at Hemisfair at like 4:00PM and go rebound for most guys. Except Bird, he didn't want to talk anyone. You'd think this lowly February game in San Antonio was Game 7 of the Finals the way he'd be shooting before games with perfect form on every release and laser focused on locking his shot in. Actually, Jordan was like that too, but at least he'd sign autographs on the way back to the locker room his first 2-3 years in the league.

Notorious H.O.P.
07-25-2022, 10:25 PM
Walter "The Truth" Berry
Zarko "The Original Chainsmoker" Paspalj
Caldwell "Pops" Jones
Greg "Cadillac" Anderson
Dwayne "Lobster Hair" Schintzius
David "Alleged Rapist" Wingate
Herman "J.R." Reid
Reggie "Silk" Williams
Vernon "Mad Max" Maxwell
Frank "Brick"owski
Johnny "Pooh" Dawkins
Willie "Chill" Anderson
Lloyd "Couldn't Guard A Mannequin" Daniels

Just a few of the Spurs when I was growing up.

baseline bum
07-25-2022, 10:28 PM
Walter "The Truth" Berry
Zarko "The Original Chainsmoker" Paspalj
Caldwell "Pops" Jones
Greg "Cadillac" Anderson
Dwayne "Lobster Hair" Schintzius
David "Alleged Rapist" Wingate
Herman "J.R." Reid
Reggie "Silk" Williams
Vernon "Mad Max" Maxwell
Frank "Brick"owski
Johnny "Pooh" Dawkins
Willie "Chill" Anderson
Lloyd "Couldn't Guard A Mannequin" Daniels

Just a few of the Spurs when I was growing up.

When I was reading Pearlman's Showtime book was pretty surprised to find out Brickowski was one of the hardest partying Lakers, he used to hang out with Charlie Sheen all the time and shit.

rogcl1
07-25-2022, 10:59 PM

We used to sit in those 7dollar seats right behind the basket floor level , usually rows 3 thru 7 or so. I told people we were so close you could see the lines of their jock straps and hear their shoes squeak on the floor. That would be from mid to at least end of the 70's. Work changed things a bit after that.

SPURt
07-25-2022, 11:08 PM
Nah I lived in LA for most of Tim's prime and courtside got super expensive anyways. One time I won a contest to sit courtside and another my doctor gave my dad his tickets because he was going to be out of town. Plus after trading Ice the team was so bad you could usually just go sit courtside in the fourth quarter. My dad got this great shot of Barkley doing a two hand jam when we snuck to the courtside seats and then gave Charles a print of it the next year the Sixers came to town. My dad probably should have sold that photo to Fleer for a basketball card.

Back in the 80s you had such access to the players. You could show up at Hemisfair at like 4:00PM and go rebound for most guys. Except Bird, he didn't want to talk anyone. You'd think this lowly February game in San Antonio was Game 7 of the Finals the way he'd be shooting before games with perfect form on every release and laser focused on locking his shot in. Actually, Jordan was like that too, but at least he'd sign autographs on the way back to the locker room his first 2-3 years in the league.
That’s unimaginable, which is crazy because I started seeing games at Hemisphere Arena. Shows the commercial impact of the Bird/Magic/Jordan. Crazy!

Could you pick a top 3 favorite non-Spurs and worst non-Spurs based on how they were with fans?

illusioNtEk
07-25-2022, 11:52 PM
I remember watching Rod Strickland and thinking "Jordan killer" at the age of 5

slick'81
07-26-2022, 01:34 AM
Games at the hemisphere and my dad nearly having a coronary when strickland went behind the back vs por in the playoffs

baseline bum
07-26-2022, 09:10 AM
That’s unimaginable, which is crazy because I started seeing games at Hemisphere Arena. Shows the commercial impact of the Bird/Magic/Jordan. Crazy!

Could you pick a top 3 favorite non-Spurs and worst non-Spurs based on how they were with fans?

Probably the three players of the 80s (non-Spurs) who seemed to most enjoy talking to fans were:

1. Magic Johnson - Was at the airport one time to pick my grandmother up and saw the Lakers waiting for their flight so went up and told Magic I was a huge fan of his and Magic invited me to come sit and talk with him for about 15 minutes or so. Told him I saw him hit a halfcourt shot on CBS the previous week and that I hated the Celtics and always rooted for the Lakers over them when they would meet in the Finals. Of course he signed something for me too, probably my notebook or something I brought. I think he got James Worthy to sign for me too.
2. Julius Erving - His last game in San Antonio he was out with a broken finger so he was happy to talk to fans before the game. I got a photo of his waving goodbye as he was going back to the locker room but because of that splint on his middle finger it looked like he was giving the bird.
3. Charles Barkley - First time he met him he told me oh you're looking for the white guy right? Told him he was my favorite player not on the Spurs and he'd from them on always let me rebound for him when Philly came to town if it was really early before the game.

Honorable mention to Jazz coach Frank Layden too. That guy loved what he did and would always come shoot the shit with fans 3 hours before the game. If we counted Spurs though Ice would be right after Magic. Used to get my dad to take me to watch practices at Incarnate Word sometimes during Christmas break and spring break and Ice was an assistant and once practice was over I'd go play basketball with his son Gee and Terry Cumming's son TJ, who both ended up being college stars. Challenged Ice to a three point shooting contest one time and I think he let me win 2 to 1 in a best of 3. :lol

Three worst were:

1. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: I think I might have been in Pearlman's Showtime book where one of the rookies couldn't believe Kareem turned down a kid at the airport asking for his autograph. Because I asked him for an autograph that time I saw the Lakers at the airport that I talked about above and he said no. Maybe he was just shy. But an impossible autograph to get. Funny story but the only way I ever got my 86-87 Fleer card of him autographed was by mailing it to the Lakers and asking them if they could get him to sign. For years I thought it was fake because it looked nothing like the autograph on his official poster that was sold in every NBA arena. But a few years ago I saw something authenticated as legit that matched my card exactly so maybe someone in the Lakers approached him and said can you sign this for my kid or something. Because I'm pretty sure it's legit now.
2. Larry Bird: Don't know if it was anger or just being completely focused on the game, but Bird usually wouldn't take a second to acknowledge fans. Also hated signing for adults. If you could get him at just the right moment as a kid he'd sign his full name, but he'd only sign LB for adults. Took me years to finally get him to sign my 86-87 Fleer card.
3. Patrick Ewing: None of the Knicks seemed to like any of the fans.

baseline bum
07-26-2022, 09:25 AM

Crap, forgot Manute Bol. I saw him one time just taking a walk outside the Marriott across the street from Hemisfair after a game and he came and walked with my mom, dad, and I to the parking garage when we saw him. He was a really nice guy and it was insane being a little kid and walking and talking with 7'7" Manute Bol. God he was enormous when you're standing two feet away from him. I was so sad to hear the way he died a few years ago after all the money he put into his home town and will always root for his son Bol to succeed.

Notorious H.O.P.
07-26-2022, 09:40 AM
When I was reading Pearlman's Showtime book was pretty surprised to find out Brickowski was one of the hardest partying Lakers, he used to hang out with Charlie Sheen all the time and shit.

Charlie Sheen sat courtside with decent frequency when Brick was playing for the Spurs. One of the few celebrities that did at the time.

KingKev
07-26-2022, 09:44 AM
Charlie Sheen sat courtside with decent frequency when Brick was playing for the Spurs. One of the few celebrities that did at the time.

Ha the party days for sure. Bud Fox Charlie Sheen.

I read a story a few years back that featured Robinson talking about the early days and guys coming into practice still smelling like booze and were obviously doing way worse lol.

MultiTroll
07-26-2022, 10:30 AM
What is the backstory on how Popped came to be in San Antonio?

During his time as head coach at Pomona-Pitzer, Popovich became a disciple and later a close friend of head coach Larry Brown (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Brown_(basketball)) at the University of Kansas (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_Jayhawks_men%27s_basketball). Popovich took off the 1985–86 season at Pomona-Pitzer to become a volunteer assistant at Kansas, where he could study directly under Brown. Popovich returned to Pomona-Pitzer and resumed his duties as head coach the next season.
Following the 1987–88 season, Popovich joined Brown as the lead assistant coach for the Spurs. From 1988 to 1992, Popovich was Brown's top assistant, until the entire staff, including R. C. Buford (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._C._Buford), Alvin Gentry (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_Gentry) and Ed Manning (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Manning), were fired by owner Red McCombs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_McCombs). Popovich moved to the Golden State Warriors (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_State_Warriors) for a brief stint in 1992, serving as an assistant under future Hall of Famer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naismith_Memorial_Basketball_Hall_of_Fame) Don Nelson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Nelson) and bringing with him Avery Johnson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avery_Johnson), who had been cut by the Spurs.

KingKev
07-26-2022, 10:38 AM
^ didn’t Pop even sleep on LBs couch for abit? i thought I read that years ago…

The Truth #6
07-26-2022, 10:45 AM
Walter Berry vs Alvin Robertson. I’ve always thought that Alvin was the one chasing Walter with a butter knife, but then I read the opposite years later. To me that was one of the most amusing parts of the Dark Ages between Ice and Robinson.

baseline bum
07-26-2022, 11:18 AM
Walter Berry vs Alvin Robertson. I’ve always thought that Alvin was the one chasing Walter with a butter knife, but then I read the opposite years later. To me that was one of the most amusing parts of the Dark Ages between Ice and Robinson.

I remember Walter used to have this huge gold rope chain like the ones Run DMC wore. Can't imagine how much that cost. Thing was heavy as hell and don't think it was plated or anything.

baseline bum
07-26-2022, 11:21 AM
Walter Berry also gave my dad a pair of his shoes after a game. Man the Spurs players really loved the fans in the 80s. I'm sure they still did in the 90s and beyond too, but David's rookie year they really tightened the ship and would only let you in the arena starting around 6:00 or 6:30 and you didn't get the kind of access to players you used to. I guess because the team knew they were a title contender again and that was enough to fill the stands. Plus the NBA was getting much bigger by 89-90 thanks to Jordan blowing up.

The Truth #6
07-26-2022, 01:12 PM
I remember Walter used to have this huge gold rope chain like the ones Run DMC wore. Can't imagine how much that cost. Thing was heavy as hell and don't think it was plated or anything.

Berry was friends with Mike Tyson. He was there when Tyson got into a street fight with Mitch Green.

https://youtu.be/D4eSjbf9Cw4

Anyway.

KingKev
07-26-2022, 01:44 PM
Berry was friends with Mike Tyson. He was there when Tyson got into a street fight with Mitch Green.

https://youtu.be/D4eSjbf9Cw4

Anyway.

haha amazing. The Spurs won’t sign a guy with traffic violations these days.

FkLA
07-26-2022, 02:01 PM
https://youtu.be/qAGDNHugl_U

This one of the earliest for me. I was like 9. My uncle had spent some time in Houston when they went back to back so he was a Rockets fan and bet me $5.

That whole season was badass. I vividly remember the stretch towards the end of the eason where they had a bunch of really impressive wins (Portland two times, Utah, etc). My older brother really feared the Blazers cause they had kicked the Spurs ass earlier in the year and they went into the Rose Garden and pulled off a really gutsy win right before the playoffs. That's when I knew they were going all the way that year.

Drom John
07-26-2022, 02:06 PM
haha amazing. The Spurs won’t sign a guy with traffic violations these days.

Spurs workout: What car do you drive?
Player: I don't have a license.
Spurs: Move him up the draft queue.

KingKev
07-26-2022, 02:31 PM
https://youtu.be/qAGDNHugl_U

This one of the earliest for me. I was like 9. My uncle had spent some time in Houston when they went back to back so he was a Rockets fan and bet me $5.

That whole season was badass. I vividly remember the stretch towards the end of the eason where they had a bunch of really impressive wins (Portland two times, Utah, etc). My older brother really feared the Blazers cause they had kicked the Spurs ass earlier in the year and they went into the Rose Garden and pulled off a really gutsy win right before the playoffs. That's when I knew they were going all the way that year.

Man Rio was exactly what we needed in 99. Tough as fking nails. If they surrounded DRob with more guys like him earlier they would have won a chip before the TD era.

baseline bum
07-26-2022, 02:56 PM
Man Rio was exactly what we needed in 99. Tough as fking nails. If they surrounded DRob with more guys like him earlier they would have won a chip before the TD era.

AJ was just as tough as Mario. But those Spurs teams had such a talent deficiency outside of David when Rodman was being a baby.

Notorious H.O.P.
07-26-2022, 03:12 PM
Walter Berry also gave my dad a pair of his shoes after a game. Man the Spurs players really loved the fans in the 80s. I'm sure they still did in the 90s and beyond too

A buddy and I used to hang out after practices at UIW and collect autographs on Skybox and Fleer cards. Everybody was cool except Paul Pressey who was a jerk. Terry Cummings gave us a couple pairs of autographed shoes. We asked Avery Johnson for a pair and he laughed and said he couldn't afford a pair for every game so he needed them. My friend lived near UIW and Willie Andersen gave us a ride home (think it was a convertible BMW). Avery's girlfriend Cassandra came to pick him up and gave us a ride once also. Terry spotted us at North Star Mall, threw his head back and said "Oh no! Not you guys." and walked his family over and introduced them to us. David Robinson had a similar reaction when seeing us out in the wild somewhere. It was amazing to have two NBA All Stars recognize us, give us these huge genuine smiles, and walk over and mess with us. Not sure what level of player/fan interaction there is these days but I hope there are a couple of other dumb teenagers out there right now getting that same experience from current players. Those were great times.

KingKev
07-26-2022, 03:13 PM
AJ was just as tough as Mario. But those Spurs teams had such a talent deficiency outside of David when Rodman was being a baby.

haha Rio could both D up and shoot. AJ had his jersey retired because he actually started hitting 12 foot shots in 1999 in part because literally nobody ever guarded him. Still a great PG but he had his flaws.

baseline bum
07-26-2022, 03:21 PM
A buddy and I used to hang out after practices at UIW and collect autographs on Skybox and Fleer cards. Everybody was cool except Paul Pressey who was a jerk. Terry Cummings gave us a couple pairs of autographed shoes. We asked Avery Johnson for a pair and he laughed and said he couldn't afford a pair for every game so he needed them. My friend lived near UIW and Willie Andersen gave us a ride home (think it was a convertible BMW). Avery's girlfriend Cassandra came to pick him up and gave us a ride once also. Terry spotted us at North Star Mall, threw his head back and said "Oh no! Not you guys." and walked his family over and introduced them to us. David Robinson had a similar reaction when seeing us out in the wild somewhere. It was amazing to have two NBA All Stars recognize us, give us these huge genuine smiles, and walk over and mess with us. Not sure what level of player/fan interaction there is these days but I hope there are a couple of other dumb teenagers out there right now getting that same experience from current players. Those were great times.

Nice. Not surprised to hear that at all about TC, he was always great to his when fans whenever I'd see him. And yeah anyone who ever met David wouldn't be surprised either. I knew his dad better though since my dad would buy books about David that I guess his pops was having published so that we could sell them at baseball card shows his first couple of years. And of course they always sold out so we'd be back to Ambros' office to buy more.

baseline bum
07-26-2022, 03:23 PM
haha Rio could both D up and shoot. AJ had his jersey retired because he actually started hitting 12 foot shots in 1999 in part because literally nobody ever guarded him. Still a great PG but he had his flaws.

Too bad the NBA changed the rules as soon as the Spurs rang so you couldn't win with physical guard play anymore, turning Mario from a nice roleplayer to obsolete overnight. But that wasn't a problem when it was Jordan and Ron Harper getting up in everyone's shit the year before.

KingKev
07-26-2022, 03:26 PM
Too bad the NBA changed the rules as soon as the Spurs rang so you couldn't win with physical guard play anymore, turning Mario from a nice roleplayer to obsolete overnight. But that wasn't a problem when it was Jordan and Ron Harper getting up in everyone's shit the year before.

haha so true. Mario Ellie made Bruce Bowen look like a ballerina out there. I personally miss the physicality but I guess I’m just showing my age and I’m only 36.

baseline bum
07-26-2022, 03:34 PM
haha so true. Mario Ellie made Bruce Bowen look like a ballerina out there. I personally miss the physicality but I guess I’m just showing my age and I’m only 36.

I loved all the complaints about low scoring in 1999 even though the 1998 Finals were a bunch of games with scores in the 80s. Jordan's Bulls score 85 points and it's the most exciting thing ever, Tim Duncan leads a Spurs team scoring 85 points and it's so slow and a snoozefest. Fucking NBA media.

rogcl1
07-26-2022, 03:35 PM

I think Avery's job was to keep Robinson jacked up.

rogcl1
07-26-2022, 04:45 PM
Love the stories. After seeing many games in the 70's, I was the coach at an area HS and free time was limited. From mid 80's till I guess around 1990 the Spurs brought in area HS teams and had the kids sell cheap tickets and then play a regularly scheduled game prior to the Spurs game and then hang out and watch the Spurs game. We were regularly invited once a year because the kids did a good job of selling tickets. It was fun to be in that environment and of course the kids loved it. The Spurs rep I dealt with was a guy named Lawrence Payne who was on the promotions team . He was really a nice guy and a go getter and was good to us. We really enjoyed those trips to SA for our own game and an evening with the Spurs. Of course Payne moved up to be a big shot in the media department with the Spurs and I believe he retired in 2021. More good memories.

slick'81
07-26-2022, 05:18 PM
Nice. Not surprised to hear that at all about TC, he was always great to his when fans whenever I'd see him. And yeah anyone who ever met David wouldn't be surprised either. I knew his dad better though since my dad would buy books about David that I guess his pops was having published so that we could sell them at baseball card shows his first couple of years. And of course they always sold out so we'd be back to Ambros' office to buy more.

yea david was cool af. When my mom worked at the carver he would play his piano in the library. I asked him if he missed playing basketball once and he said not at all. He was all about spending time with his family

exstatic
07-26-2022, 05:56 PM
yea david was cool af. When my mom worked at the carver he would play his piano in the library. I asked him if he missed playing basketball once and he said not at all. He was all about spending time with his family

David, much as he did for the team and community, never burned for the game like Tim did. Tim literally played on one leg for 6-7 years. He still works with the young players at the practice facility.

KobesAchilles
07-26-2022, 06:27 PM
Nothing great about Avery. The dude cost us so many series in the 90s bc he was so shitty. I loved Ellie. Named my kid after him

Maddog
07-26-2022, 07:29 PM
Spurs workout: What car do you drive?
Player: I don't have a license.
Spurs: Move him up the draft queue.

Sochan reference

Drom John
07-27-2022, 02:58 PM
Sochan reference

And Primo.

lefty
07-27-2022, 03:45 PM
Crap, forgot Manute Bol. I saw him one time just taking a walk outside the Marriott across the street from Hemisfair after a game and he came and walked with my mom, dad, and I to the parking garage when we saw him. He was a really nice guy and it was insane being a little kid and walking and talking with 7'7" Manute Bol. God he was enormous when you're standing two feet away from him. I was so sad to hear the way he died a few years ago after all the money he put into his home town and will always root for his son Bol to succeed.
Manute was a total class act
His son really looks like him it's crazy

DMC
07-28-2022, 11:24 AM
I remember hanging out with Danny Green's arm around my waist, and Samuel Dalembert was there too and kept staring at my white pants for some reason. I think I had too much to drink, don't recall much else that night but I couldn't walk the next day.

KingKev
07-28-2022, 11:57 AM
I remember hanging out with Danny Green's arm around my waist, and Samuel Dalembert was there too and kept staring at my white pants for some reason. I think I had too much to drink, don't recall much else that night but I couldn't walk the next day.

He show you his pet snake?!?

DMC
07-28-2022, 07:48 PM
He show you his pet snake?!?

He was like "hey dude, those pants are rockin'" which I knew already, "you must be the guy fucking people's wives while they are at work saving up to buy her a new purse".

Allan Rowe vs Wade
07-28-2022, 09:21 PM

He was like "hey dude, those pants are rockin'" which I knew already, "you must be the guy fucking people's wives while they are at work saving up to buy her a new purse".

wish there was an MS Paint illustration of this anecdote somewhere

CrazyOne
08-01-2022, 12:07 PM
I remember starting a new job in early 99 and hanging around on the internet with some Cali girl named Kori and a guy named Mouse...
Turned out to be a pretty good year for the Spurs, if I remember correctly.
(And yes, I still feel the pain from that Strickland pass in Portland.)

Ocotillo
08-01-2022, 03:25 PM
I don't recall the year but it was at Hemisfair Arena, the Spurs were playing the Bulls and Jordan got a steal and was going to other end for a jam and David Robinson chased him down and blocked him.

wildbill2u
08-02-2022, 11:26 AM
For people really old school, when did George Valle start waving that Texas flag at the games? I have a bunch of old Spurs games but the oldest one I could spot him on camera was I think 79. That dude could make a hell of brisket, even the players would show up when he was doing a BBQ for the Bums. RIP Big George. He also used to be a poster here years ago.

One of my favorite memories of Big George was the game between the Nets and the Spurs in 1976 (?) which turned into an epic series of fist fights and shoving matches all over the floor. Some of the Baseline Bums came down out of their seats onto the floor level and I guess they were razzing the Nets players. I don't know what Big George did or said, but all of a sudden he was being chased up the steps of the Hemisfair Arena by Rich Jones, a former Spurs Bruise Brother traded to the Nets. Now Rich Jones was a true bruiser back in the day when tough players played tough. I couldn't believe my eyes when a terrified Valle (at least 300 pounds) started running up those steps ahead of Jones. Valle made the second tier of seating, still running ahead of Jones and maybe even pulling away a little when Jones waved his fist in defeat and quit chasing him. GO ABA SPURS!

baseline bum
08-02-2022, 12:46 PM
One of my favorite memories of Big George was the game between the Nets and the Spurs in 1976 (?) which turned into an epic series of fist fights and shoving matches all over the floor. Some of the Baseline Bums came down out of their seats onto the floor level and I guess they were razzing the Nets players. I don't know what Big George did or said, but all of a sudden he was being chased up the steps of the Hemisfair Arena by Rich Jones, a former Spurs Bruise Brother traded to the Nets. Now Rich Jones was a true bruiser back in the day when tough players played tough. I couldn't believe my eyes when a terrified Valle (at least 300 pounds) started running up those steps ahead of Jones. Valle made the second tier of seating, still running ahead of Jones and maybe even pulling away a little when Jones waved his fist in defeat and quit chasing him. GO ABA SPURS!

Didn't you say George's pants were falling down too as he was running up those steps? :lmao

wildbill2u
08-02-2022, 01:05 PM
Didn't you say George's pants were falling down too as he was running up those steps? :lmao

My God, that was so long ago. Nearly 50 years. I wouldn't be surprised if I mentioned something about a plumbers crack in view in a previous post. I don't know if the rules of this thread allow for a lot of straight Baseline Bums posts, but there were so many funny things back in the day that included the Bums. I was dating one of the Bums and went to all their events outside of the arena and trips to Houston. Paricipating in the volleyball games with some of the Bums and Spurs players mixed in was fun but intimidating. I remember being lined up across the net from Aris Gilmore once and that was a Kodak moment for me.:rolleyes

I don't know how many of the original Bums are still around but somebody ought to put together a notebook of stories about the Bums, especially the original bunch that defined the term "fanatical fans of the NBA" back in the day. I know theSpurs management eventually toned them down with threats of losing their stadium seats perks, but they are as much a part of the history of the Spurs as anyone from the FO.

John B
08-02-2022, 01:06 PM
I remember seeing Spurs players hanging out outside St Mary’s gym where they use to practice. This was before DRob and barely could win games. I doubt anybody would know an autograph from Cadillac, cool name but I doubt anybody of my friends would know. On second thought, I don’t remember anybody asking for autographs, and they’re just there by the door every time, nobody bothered :lol:lol

wildbill2u
08-02-2022, 06:25 PM
I played a little basketball for Columbia in NYC in the 50s, just after Chet Forte made All-American and went on to fame and fortune as a sports TV producer for ABC. We used to get some free tickets to Knicks games in the old Madison Square Garden and needless to say I was blown away by the athletic prowess of those early Pro players. So when the Dallas team started playing some games in San Antonio I was ready for some pro ball again. Finally, the deal was made for some San Antonio investors to move the team to San Antonio and I wanted to be a season ticket holder---but the problem was I couldn't find any of my friends who were interested. In fact, my best friend was a guy from rural Ohio who is still short and then hid previous exposure to atheletics was playing trumpet in his high school band. He hated sports in general--but he loved beer. I made a deal with him to go to a game with me if I bought his ticket and paid for the beer. We sat behind the newly named Spurs bench about 9 rows up and had a blast. The speed and grace of those players won him over. At half-time we bought 4 season tickets that we kept for over 20 years. $5.00 per ticket was the price at the time. Keep that in mind as I might post some more memories later.

GAustex
08-06-2022, 06:32 PM
Flipped over to NBATV for 1999 Spurs v Knicks
Young Tim was of another world

KingKev
08-06-2022, 07:33 PM
Flipped over to NBATV for 1999 Spurs v Knicks
Young Tim was of another world

Spree was pretty damn good too… Pop always had a boner for him. One of those guys who he coulda reigned in

rascal
08-06-2022, 08:48 PM
The Spurs style of play was run and gun. The late 70's teams were the most exciting teams the Spurs ever had.

Although they never won a title those were the most exciting times for the Spurs as they were an up and coming team and trying to prove they belonged on a national level. The fans were the loudest during those times.
The Hemisfair Arena was the loudest arena in the league.

slick'81
08-06-2022, 08:50 PM
The Spurs style of play was run and gun. The late 70's teams were the most exciting teams the Spurs ever had.

Although they never won a title those were the most exciting times for the Spurs as they were an up and coming team and trying to prove they belonged on a national level. The fans were the loudest during those times.
The Hemisfair Arena was the loudest arena in the league.

opposing teams hated playing im hemisphere. Fans literally packed in on top of you

baseline bum
08-06-2022, 08:56 PM
Spree was pretty damn good too… Pop always had a boner for him. One of those guys who he coulda reigned in

And would have been a Spur if not for choking PJ. Though honestly I'm happier to have seen the Spurs win that title with Sean instead, who would have been part of the trade for Sprewell. Not sure Spree gets the Spurs past the 01 Lakers anyways and maybe having him causes the team to pre-emptively salary dump Manu just like they did with Scola.

rascal
08-06-2022, 09:01 PM
I remember Terry Stembridge was the radio broadcaster and I used to listen all the time to his broadcasts as the games were not televised too often in the early days.

barakz21
08-07-2022, 08:55 PM
Became a spur fan back in 01. Caught a game between them and the jailblazers, and because pippen was on that team, I figured I’d watch. Little did I know it would be the big fun who’d steal the show and made me actually love basketball. I suck playing it but, still love it regardless. Kinda funny how being a bandwagon fan led me to the team I’m I’ve been rooting for going on 21 years now.

KingKev
08-08-2022, 03:31 AM
And would have been a Spur if not for choking PJ. Though honestly I'm happier to have seen the Spurs win that title with Sean instead, who would have been part of the trade for Sprewell. Not sure Spree gets the Spurs past the 01 Lakers anyways and maybe having him causes the team to pre-emptively salary dump Manu just like they did with Scola.

Man, don’t get me started on the Spree hypotheticals. That was always a possible match made in heaven that could have been fairytale like or ended in somebody taking half your shit.

Memorial day miracle aside, Spree was exactly what this team needed from 00-02.

I don’t know how the math could have worked but if you could still have kept Manu/TPs rights and had Spree in those years, TD’s early prime would have been different.

wildbill2u
08-08-2022, 11:52 AM
My buddy and I found the Spurs corral at half-time on that first game we went to in season one. That probably had something to do with buying season tickets :drunk. But the early Spurs Corral should have a place in any posts of Spurs memories IMHO> First of all, in those early days at Hemisfair Arena you didn't have to have a paid membership to drink there. A rowdier crowd hung out there in the early days. I dated one of the waitresses for a while--until she realized I was married. The manager/bartender was a retired Air Force guy named Ralph Reid. His son, Robert, played for St. Marys and went on to a 14 year career in the NBA, mostly with Houston. Anyway, after a few games where we came into the Corral we were talking about how we were going to come in for a drink and to check the stat sheets (delivered by a Spurs intern) after every game. Ralph made us a deal that if we came in after every game, he'd pay for our drinks at the last game. We won--but crafty Ralph was the big winner. In those early days when we were paying $5 per game for our seats, we spent more at the Corral than the price of the seats. Go figure.

The cops that worked the games at the Arena used to change into gym clothes and play basketball after all the fans (well everyone but the bar flys in the Corral) went home. Now, Ralph was a big, tall guy himself and had played some ball somewhere in his past--and teaching son Robert I suppose as he grew up. At some point in time a challenge was laid down that Ralph would recruit a team from the patrons of the Corral to play the cops. Those games were a hoot. Ralph would play as Captain and furnish a pitcher or two of margaritas or beer to the team for instant energy on the sideline. I was 35 at the time and in pretty good shape from playing tennis and church league, but drinking on the floor was something new. After the first game we all decided that full court was a little hard on us and the cops so we played half court on the Spurs floor. What a blast that was.

I hated it when the Corral was closed to the public in favor of the wealthy elite after the change to the Alamo Dome. Bummer. I wouldn't join because it just wasn't the same bar anymore.

baseline bum
08-09-2022, 09:39 PM
I dated one of the waitresses for a while--until she realized I was married.

Damn you really were a Baseline Bum :lmao

baseline bum
08-09-2022, 09:44 PM
The cops that worked the games at the Arena used to change into gym clothes and play basketball after all the fans (well everyone but the bar flys in the Corral) went home. Now, Ralph was a big, tall guy himself and had played some ball somewhere in his past--and teaching son Robert I suppose as he grew up. At some point in time a challenge was laid down that Ralph would recruit a team from the patrons of the Corral to play the cops. Those games were a hoot. Ralph would play as Captain and furnish a pitcher or two of margaritas or beer to the team for instant energy on the sideline. I was 35 at the time and in pretty good shape from playing tennis and church league, but drinking on the floor was something new. After the first game we all decided that full court was a little hard on us and the cops so we played half court on the Spurs floor. What a blast that was.

That's hilarious. I got to shoot around a few times on the court in Hemisfair and I never could get used to it, completely screwed my depth perception. Can't imagine being able to hit a jumper there after a few beers. :lol

wildbill2u
08-10-2022, 04:37 PM
That's hilarious. I got to shoot around a few times on the court in Hemisfair and I never could get used to it, completely screwed my depth perception. Can't imagine being able to hit a jumper there after a few beers. :lol Dude, I didn't say we were making baskets, just that we were playing. :rolleyes

lefty
08-11-2022, 09:53 AM
Margarita and beer for instant energy.

That's what my pre-workout stack has been missing

baseline bum
08-11-2022, 09:57 AM
Dude, I didn't say we were making baskets, just that we were playing. :rolleyes

LOL. Imagine how bad your shooting would have been in the Dome.

wildbill2u
08-15-2022, 01:04 PM
Over a period of 20+ years as season ticket holders, we became friendly with most of the folks in our ground level section behind the Spurs bench--watched their children grow up, celebrated retirements and promotions and grieved for them when family members passed. Kind of a Spurs family of season ticket holders. Those floor level stands in the old Hemisfair Arena were made of metal tiers and the noise everyone on the floor level tiers made by stomping on the floors during the playing of the Orange Blossom Special or the "Defense" cheer was deafening. I don't know why they don't play that tune much anymore since the fans really responded to it.

Speaking of children at the Spurs games, I bought a couple of tickets for my kids and part of their raising was the weekly trips to the Arena to cheer on the Spurs. They became faithful fans. Jason posts info about the Spurs regularly on his Facebook page and even goes into Wikipedia to post Spurs highlights and info from time to time. One of the highlights of my Spurs memories is that my son, now living in Las Vegas, flew in and got us tickets to the Championship home game in 2014. What a rush to have him pay it forward like that. Proud of you Jason.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-16-2022, 05:36 PM
1. Sitting in the cheap seats in the Hemisfair Arena. I think my dad would pick 'em up for about $3 each.

2. Listening to road games on AM radio while living in other cities, hoping the ionosphere would allow the WOAI broadcast to not be overtaken by the station featuring mariachi music.

3. Getting George Karl's autograph when he showed up at my school in his Spurs uni to mingle with the kids and sign stuff. I asked him where the Iceman was.