PDA

View Full Version : Does Pop finish the season as coach?

objective
07-27-2022, 03:59 PM
I've had the feeling that Pop is going to step down during the season. He lasted long enough to get his record, and long enough to make sure no woman was going to be the replacement coach and avoiding any coaching search at all, Brown will be entrenched and they won't have to pretend that money isn't the reason why they don't get Snyder.

I can see him doing a Sloan and just bailing.

But maybe I'm wrong.

Does Pop finish the season as coach?

The Truth #6
07-27-2022, 04:02 PM
He could pull a sort of Irish farewell, I suppose. With Brett Brown around it definitely makes it possible. On one hand it seems flaky for him to do that and out of character. On the other hand I can see him leaving with zero warning or fanfare. Chip leaving could be because of Pop leaving, for sure.

slick'81
07-27-2022, 04:03 PM
Yes but he wont resign

RC_Drunkford
07-27-2022, 04:05 PM
The question should be „is he still coaching next season?

slick'81
07-27-2022, 04:07 PM
The question should be „is he still coaching next season?

no f'n way. Unless they land the #1pick

TD 21
07-27-2022, 04:14 PM
Yes, unless it's for health related reasons.

He's always loved this far more than he's let on, plus part of his shtick is doing the unexpected.

Brown is probably too old to be the Pop replacement. If it's not Snyder, expect it to be some young white guy.

MultiTroll
07-27-2022, 06:01 PM
Attention whore going no where.

steak n eggs
07-27-2022, 06:09 PM
Kind of tired of his political posturing these days. I'm not sure he realizes he's the epitome of white privilege. He stays in a position that he could have relinquished to a man of color or a woman a long time ago.

Uriel
07-27-2022, 06:49 PM
Yes, it’s his last season. His replacement, Quinn Snyder, is already waiting in the wings. Part of the reason why Pop has stayed on has been because the ownership group has wanted him to. But now with Snyder available next summer,I can’t imagine they would pass up the opportunity to bring him in.

jjspur
07-27-2022, 08:28 PM
I get the feeling that if the spurs start off with like a 5 - 17 record, he resigns from coaching. Maybe he stays in the front office or as a consultant, but I don't know who replaces him. Whomever comes in is just temporary as they are probably holding a spot for Quinn Snyder or possibly someone else from the Pop coaching tree. Starting in 23-24, with a new coach, new assistants and a new attitude, tanking is over and a real rebuild begins. Pop rides off into the sunset with his records and his bottles of wine. Just my opinion, but it seems most everyone realizes that Pop's time as coach is just about done. As a coach he's had a great run with his championships and awards but I believe he even realizes its time to move on.

baseline bum
07-27-2022, 08:30 PM
I thought Sloan left because of Deron Williams' faggotry

MultiTroll
07-27-2022, 09:01 PM
I get the feeling that if the spurs start off with like a 5 - 17 record, he resigns from coaching..
Nope.
Timmy Duncan then for a year prime Kwa have given him an insurmountable W-L percentage.
He was able to suck ass for 2-3 years and still get the all time wins record. :lol

The chance of him resigning during a season thus a percieved "quitter" to some......no way.

He'll continue to milk the last of the Duncan ride. Won't be during a season.

HankChinaski
07-27-2022, 09:13 PM
He won't drop during a middle of a season unless it were due to health reasons. But he could continue coaching or just take a lesser executive role with the organization. After the end of this season I can see doing either or.

offset formation
07-27-2022, 09:21 PM
I get the feeling that if the spurs start off with like a 5 - 17 record, he resigns from coaching. Maybe he stays in the front office or as a consultant, but I don't know who replaces him. Whomever comes in is just temporary as they are probably holding a spot for Quinn Snyder or possibly someone else from the Pop coaching tree. Starting in 23-24, with a new coach, new assistants and a new attitude, tanking is over and a real rebuild begins. Pop rides off into the sunset with his records and his bottles of wine. Just my opinion, but it seems most everyone realizes that Pop's time as coach is just about done. As a coach he's had a great run with his championships and awards but I believe he even realizes its time to move on.

Isn't that kind of the point of this season? I'm sure even he doesn't expect to win more than 25 games.

offset formation
07-27-2022, 09:22 PM
If he starts it, he'll finish it. It's in his DNA

spurs10
07-27-2022, 09:35 PM
Yes, if he starts. Get a killer pick...who knows? I expect this to be his last season though, he's accomplished everything he could've hoped for in his career.

jjspur
07-28-2022, 08:51 AM
Yes, if he starts. Get a killer pick...who knows? I expect this to be his last season though, he's accomplished everything he could've hoped for in his career.

Like you said he's accomplished everything he could have hoped for and then some already. What's another 50-60 plus losses added to your record? Any 2nd rate coach can lose 50-60 games and have the spurs tank. Pop is above that and really should quit/retire while he's ahead. Losing that many games even if its for tanking purposes will not put him in the best light on the way out to retirement.

Dex
07-28-2022, 08:54 AM

That's my gut feeling too. He's got a year, maybe two left...but he probably wants to leave the team in a decent spot before he hangs it up (and not just somewhere in the middle where they are right now).

If Spurs can manage a top-3 pick and have a better future outlook, I could see that being his swan song.

DMC
07-28-2022, 11:17 AM
He's going to ring again, then he'll retire that off season.

GAustex
07-28-2022, 11:18 AM
Lol

BackHome
07-30-2022, 01:07 AM
A lot of people are leaving which is pretty much writing on the wall this is his last season - And new coach will have cart blanc on picking HIS staff. As far as this upcoming season I see Pop having fun and riding out the whole season as him leaving during season seems like he just stayed for the Wins but him leaving is half ass and Pop definitely does not do that. So I will enjoy watching him having fun coaching the team and helping the new coach start off by drafting a top 3 player.

daslicer
07-30-2022, 03:16 AM
Unfortunately, he will be coaching until he croaks. I don't see Pop ever quitting until his body quits. This man has no life outside of coaching.

slick'81
07-30-2022, 03:53 AM
Jesus,just realized greg popovich is the oldest nba coach ever:wow

MVPCues
07-30-2022, 06:49 AM
Unfortunately, he will be coaching until he croaks. I don't see Pop ever quitting until his body quits. This man has no life outside of coaching.

He has his wine. Maybe he will start a wine company and go on Shark Tank.

KingKev
07-30-2022, 07:42 AM
He has his wine. Maybe he will start a wine company and go on Shark Tank.

Already owns a vineyard and doesn’t need the financing.

rastaspur
07-30-2022, 08:32 AM
Pop isn't a quitter. If he starts the season he will finish it, health permitting.

BackHome
07-30-2022, 05:20 PM
I agree I think Pop will actually have a great time and will enjoy mentoring the young kids this season but if I was a beating man I would put it all down on this being his last year coaching.

ducks
07-30-2022, 07:49 PM
I've had the feeling that Pop is going to step down during the season. He lasted long enough to get his record, and long enough to make sure no woman was going to be the replacement coach and avoiding any coaching search at all, Brown will be entrenched and they won't have to pretend that money isn't the reason why they don't get Snyder.

I can see him doing a Sloan and just bailing.

But maybe I'm wrong.

Does Pop finish the season as coach?
He step down he get depressed after the red wave and drink to much, smoke weed like Kerr and then poof
Quite

Allan Rowe vs Wade
07-31-2022, 10:50 PM
He step down he get depressed after the red wave and drink to much, smoke weed like Kerr and then poof
Quite

nah he'll finish doing what he loves as long as he feels like it, then maybe he'll go visit donny n every now and again

https://files.merryjane.com/uploads/generic/1561570236381_nba-coach-don-nelson-smokes-weed-willie-merry-jane.jpg