PDA

View Full Version : US journalist ordered to change clothes after being told skirt too short to witness execution

ElNono
08-01-2022, 03:40 PM
US journalist ordered to change clothes after being told skirt too short to witness execution

Ivana Hrynkiw Shatara was left "embarrassed" and "uncomfortable" after being told her outfit violated the prison dress code when she arrived for the execution of Joe Nathan James Jr at William C Holman Correctional Facility in Atmore, Alabama.

A journalist was forced to change her outfit while attending the execution of a death-row inmate in Alabama after prison officials said her skirt was too short.

Ivana Hrynkiw Shatara, managing producer for website AL.com, says she was also told her open-toed shoes were too revealing by a member of staff at the Alabama Department of Corrections (ADOC).

Ms Hrynkiw Shatara was stopped as she arrived at the media centre at William C Holman Correctional Facility in the city of Atmore and told her outfit violated the prison dress code.

She visited the prison on 28 July to cover the execution of Joe Nathan James Jr, sentenced to death for killing his ex-girlfriend, Faith Hall, 26, in 1994.

In a statement shared on Twitter, the journalist said she had worn the same skirt to previous executions and other professional events "without incident", adding: "I believe it is more than appropriate".

"Tonight, a representative of the Alabama Department of Corrections told me publicly I couldn't view the execution because my skirt was too short," she wrote.

"At 5'7", and 5'10" with my heels on, I am a tall and long-legged person.

https://news.sky.com/story/us-journalist-ordered-to-change-clothes-after-being-told-skirt-too-short-to-witness-execution-12661761

:lmao Alabama

Mark Celibate
08-01-2022, 03:57 PM
rofl

DMC
08-01-2022, 05:52 PM
She's worn the same skirt to "other executions".

When it's time to admit you have a death fetish.

MultiTroll
08-01-2022, 06:02 PM
:lmao Alabama
It's fine for Betty Lou to get porked and pregnant at 16 but gawd forbid the jounalist show some leg.

We'd have to see pictures to get the whole story, surely those must be forthcoming.

Weird, i think this is was more a prison sicko thing and Alabama politician sicko thing vs Alabama people at large.
Very ok with showing buttcheeks, legs and titties among the general public and showing good old hospitality as long as you're not dark. Even then there is this weird code where they can be very friendly with dark skins but way against inter marriage. Like you can get close but not too close.

Many fine folks in Bama.

Ef-man
08-01-2022, 07:13 PM
“says she was also told her open-toed shoes were too revealing by a member of staff at the Alabama Department of Corrections”

:lmao :lmao

ElNono
08-01-2022, 09:34 PM
Ivana Shatara barred from Alabama execution for ‘too short’ skirt

In Alabama, the jail guards are also the fashion police. (:lmao)

A reporter in the southern state says she was forbidden by prison officials from covering an execution Thursday night because they said her skirt was too short.

Ivana Hrynkiw Shatara, a video news producer for AL.com, claims she was told by a Department of Corrections that her outfit was “inappropriate” and “too revealing” as they barred her from joining other journalists in viewing the lethal injection of convicted killer Joe Nathan James, she tweeted Friday.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/29/ivana-shatara-barred-from-alabama-execution-for-short-skirt/

DMC
08-01-2022, 10:08 PM
A. General Rules for Visitation:
1. Adult visitor must have valid photo identification and be listed on the approved inmates visitation list or have a
special visit approved by the Warden.
2. Visitor(s) and all item(s) will be searched.
3. Visitor(s) are required to return all unapproved item(s) to their vehicles. Staff shall not be responsible for any
unapproved items.
4. Visitor(s) providing false name(s) or introducing or attempting to introduce contraband may be committing a
criminal offense and face possible felony prosecution.
5. Visiting schedule is subject to change without prior notice due to security reasons.
6. If visitor(s) or inmate(s) fail to abide by the established visitation rules their visit will be terminated.
7. Each adult visitor may enter the visitation check-in area with no more than $20.00, identification card and car keys
in a clear plastic bag. Visitors may also have the option of purchasing a $20.00 debit card.
8. An inmate’s adult children and/or grandchildren will be allowed to visit with a birth certificate establishing an
inmate’s paternity or maternity. Minor children must also have a completed ADOC Form 303-B, Request for Minor
Children to Visit.
9. Visitor(s) must wear a complete set of undergarments.
10. Parent(s)/legal guardian(s) with babies will be allowed no more that four (4) disposable diapers and one (1) will be
changed during searches. One (1) small baby blanket and two (2) plastic baby bottles will be allowed on the visiting
area.
11. All dresses, skirts, and pants shall extend below the knee (females only). Splits/Slits must be knee length or lower
(females only).
12. All blouses and shirts must be long enough to cover the waist and chest area.
13. Sitting in laps or other type of behavior which is deemed offensive or considered inappropriate or illicit is
prohibited.
14. A brief hug and kiss between an inmate and his or her visitor at the time of entry and at the time of departure will be
permitted.
15. Visitor(s) shall not be allowed to leave any item(s) for an inmate.
16. Visitor(s) are permitted to wear religious headwear into the visiting area with advanced written approval from the
Warden. This headwear is subject to search. It may be necessary for ADOC staff to search this item at any time
during the visiting process.

ElNono
08-01-2022, 10:10 PM
A. General Rules for Visitation:
1. Adult visitor must have valid photo identification and be listed on the approved inmates visitation list or have a
special visit approved by the Warden.
2. Visitor(s) and all item(s) will be searched.
3. Visitor(s) are required to return all unapproved item(s) to their vehicles. Staff shall not be responsible for any
unapproved items.
4. Visitor(s) providing false name(s) or introducing or attempting to introduce contraband may be committing a
criminal offense and face possible felony prosecution.
5. Visiting schedule is subject to change without prior notice due to security reasons.
6. If visitor(s) or inmate(s) fail to abide by the established visitation rules their visit will be terminated.
7. Each adult visitor may enter the visitation check-in area with no more than $20.00, identification card and car keys
in a clear plastic bag. Visitors may also have the option of purchasing a $20.00 debit card.
8. An inmate’s adult children and/or grandchildren will be allowed to visit with a birth certificate establishing an
inmate’s paternity or maternity. Minor children must also have a completed ADOC Form 303-B, Request for Minor
Children to Visit.
9. Visitor(s) must wear a complete set of undergarments.
10. Parent(s)/legal guardian(s) with babies will be allowed no more that four (4) disposable diapers and one (1) will be
changed during searches. One (1) small baby blanket and two (2) plastic baby bottles will be allowed on the visiting
area.
11. All dresses, skirts, and pants shall extend below the knee (females only). Splits/Slits must be knee length or lower
(females only).
12. All blouses and shirts must be long enough to cover the waist and chest area.
13. Sitting in laps or other type of behavior which is deemed offensive or considered inappropriate or illicit is
prohibited.
14. A brief hug and kiss between an inmate and his or her visitor at the time of entry and at the time of departure will be
permitted.
15. Visitor(s) shall not be allowed to leave any item(s) for an inmate.
16. Visitor(s) are permitted to wear religious headwear into the visiting area with advanced written approval from the
Warden. This headwear is subject to search. It may be necessary for ADOC staff to search this item at any time
during the visiting process.

Looks like this needs updating to modern times...

DMC
08-01-2022, 10:10 PM
Having a split/slit that extends past the knees is definitely Southern chick.

Blake
08-01-2022, 10:11 PM
It's like church for them

DMC
08-01-2022, 10:12 PM
Looks like this needs updating to modern times...

Need to modernize execution shows.

ElNono
08-01-2022, 10:12 PM
"open-toed shoes were too revealing by a member of staff at the Alabama Department of Corrections"

This one looks definitely made up in light of the rules above?

ElNono
08-01-2022, 10:13 PM
Need to modernize execution shows.

Exactly. Unless they're trying to avoid executing an inmate with a smile.

DMC
08-01-2022, 10:13 PM
Basically people break/ignore rules and then post to social media how they were wronged because they did it before and no one said anything, even though it's clearly posted.

ElNono
08-01-2022, 10:15 PM
Basically people break/ignore rules and then post to social media how they were wronged because they did it before and no one said anything, even though it's clearly posted.

That's why I laughed at Alabama specifically. Those rules for executions sound like the middle ages, but it's exactly what you expect from an ass backwards state like that one.

DMC
08-01-2022, 10:17 PM
Exactly. Unless they're trying to avoid executing an inmate with a smile.

From an easily searchable website

Once at a prison, it’s hard to get through security. Things I’ve personally been busted for are: a quarter in my pocket, plastic buttons on my turtleneck, and, I shit you not, walking too heavily through the metal detector. I committed these particular infractions at the first prison I ever visited, Massachusetts Correctional Institution – Norfolk. Norfolk, as it’s called colloquially, is a medium-security prison roughly 22 miles southwest of Boston. There, when you set off the metal detector, all the people who are visiting at the same time as you must wait while a CO brings you to a private room. Alone with the CO, you are told to unhook your bra, presumably so that anything hidden inside will fall out. For the same reason you are to turn the elastic on your underwear inside out. The CO wands you and pats you down. When this happened to me I was scared, not knowing how invasive the search would be. I also felt guilty because my search delayed about a dozen people who had limited time to visit their incarcerated friends and family. At Norfolk I started tiptoeing through metal detectors, and I retain this habit ten years later.

Teaching in prisons presents its own complications. I’ve been forbidden from bringing in standard tools of my trade such as staples, paper clips, and pens that aren’t transparent. I spoke with Arminta Fox, who used to coordinate classes that brought together students from Drew University and Edna Mahan Correctional Facility for Women in the New Jersey prison. She told me that she and others had been busted for bringing in spiral-bound notebooks, pens with springs in them, and the poem “Still I Rise” by Maya Angelou.

Over and above all of these things, the dress code is, for me, the most difficult thing to negotiate. Each facility has its own list of rules about what you can wear. I’ve always found the lists to be overwhelming. For example, when picking out something to wear on your bottom half at Norfolk, you have to make sure that it does not have metal, holes, excessive pockets, or drawstrings, that it is not too tight or too baggy, sheer, revealing, transparent, layered, wraparound, bibbed, camouflage, ripped, torn, missing buttons, spandex, worn for exercise, at all similar to what people who work or live in prison wear, at all similar to what gang members wear, or more than three inches above the knee. Also please be sure that you don’t wear “wind pants” once you find out what wind pants are.

DMC
08-01-2022, 10:20 PM
That's why I laughed at Alabama specifically. Those rules for executions sound like the middle ages, but it's exactly what you expect from an ass backwards state like that one.

Pretty sure that's normal prison regs. Too bad SBM isn't here to give us the latex glove details before calling us pussies and faggots.

ElNono
08-02-2022, 12:04 AM
From an easily searchable website

Once at a prison, it’s hard to get through security. Things I’ve personally been busted for are: a quarter in my pocket, plastic buttons on my turtleneck, and, I shit you not, walking too heavily through the metal detector. I committed these particular infractions at the first prison I ever visited, Massachusetts Correctional Institution – Norfolk. Norfolk, as it’s called colloquially, is a medium-security prison roughly 22 miles southwest of Boston. There, when you set off the metal detector, all the people who are visiting at the same time as you must wait while a CO brings you to a private room. Alone with the CO, you are told to unhook your bra, presumably so that anything hidden inside will fall out. For the same reason you are to turn the elastic on your underwear inside out. The CO wands you and pats you down. When this happened to me I was scared, not knowing how invasive the search would be. I also felt guilty because my search delayed about a dozen people who had limited time to visit their incarcerated friends and family. At Norfolk I started tiptoeing through metal detectors, and I retain this habit ten years later.

Teaching in prisons presents its own complications. I’ve been forbidden from bringing in standard tools of my trade such as staples, paper clips, and pens that aren’t transparent. I spoke with Arminta Fox, who used to coordinate classes that brought together students from Drew University and Edna Mahan Correctional Facility for Women in the New Jersey prison. She told me that she and others had been busted for bringing in spiral-bound notebooks, pens with springs in them, and the poem “Still I Rise” by Maya Angelou.

Over and above all of these things, the dress code is, for me, the most difficult thing to negotiate. Each facility has its own list of rules about what you can wear. I’ve always found the lists to be overwhelming. For example, when picking out something to wear on your bottom half at Norfolk, you have to make sure that it does not have metal, holes, excessive pockets, or drawstrings, that it is not too tight or too baggy, sheer, revealing, transparent, layered, wraparound, bibbed, camouflage, ripped, torn, missing buttons, spandex, worn for exercise, at all similar to what people who work or live in prison wear, at all similar to what gang members wear, or more than three inches above the knee. Also please be sure that you don’t wear “wind pants” once you find out what wind pants are.

That was a teacher going into a prison, not a journalist going to an execution.

It makes more sense when you're looking for contraband, etc (though the short skirt and open toes policies are still questionable, IMO).

boutons_deux
08-02-2022, 10:37 AM
It's like church for them

they adore killing knitters, it's a Confederate virtue

boutons_deux
08-02-2022, 10:37 AM
https://images.ladbible.com/resize?type=jpeg&quality=70&width=648&fit=pad&dpr=1&url=https://eu-images.contentstack.com/v3/assets/bltcd74acc1d0a99f3a/blt99ac17bae4219865/62e4eab16e0b773b72f97ebc/qQFBTeUt_400x400.jpeg

CosmicCowboy
08-02-2022, 02:03 PM
Boos a cyber stalker.

Blake
08-02-2022, 02:26 PM
Too much shoulder in that pic for Alabama

ElNono
08-02-2022, 03:07 PM
Boos a cyber stalker.

Fabbs will be here shortly to rate her, tbh

MultiTroll
08-02-2022, 03:27 PM
Need to see full body shot.

MultiTroll
08-02-2022, 03:43 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/2a/be/c2/2abec2714143d09a459a8ad984da52e0.jpg

Chucho
08-02-2022, 05:21 PM
It's fine for Betty Lou to get porked and pregnant at 16 but gawd forbid the jounalist show some leg.

Many fine folks in Bama.

Those sound like your kinda people, you human genital wart.

Chucho
08-02-2022, 05:22 PM
Fabbs will be here shortly to rate her, tbh

You're alright.

Chucho
08-02-2022, 05:25 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/2a/be/c2/2abec2714143d09a459a8ad984da52e0.jpg

You heard "short skirt", "death fetish" and went stalking this woman on social media. Do you really wonder why no one likes you and why everyone insults you no matter how much you try and blend in like the fucking cockroach you are?

I bet your bathtub is fucking filthy. I envision the greasiest, skeeviest, unkempt, socially awkward driving some kind of 3rd world shit bucket like a 2001 Daewoo or something sold in small quantities on last-chance-credit-lots. You come off like you'd smell like period blood and mildew.

DMC
08-02-2022, 05:38 PM
That was a teacher going into a prison, not a journalist going to an execution.

It makes more sense when you're looking for contraband, etc (though the short skirt and open toes policies are still questionable, IMO).

Prison rules. They don't tell the COs "It's your call, just depends on the circumstance" in CO academy where they learn to swab assholes for crack residue.

DMC
08-02-2022, 05:40 PM
:lol Fabbs, probably smells like cigarettes and liver cheese. Probably puts the cig between the middle and ring finger and blows smoke upward while staring at underage girls online.

ElNono
08-02-2022, 05:46 PM
Prison rules. They don't tell the COs "It's your call, just depends on the circumstance" in CO academy where they learn to swab assholes for crack residue.

Looks like they do. The CO did it anyways.

DMC
08-02-2022, 06:00 PM
https://www.al.com/resizer/bbOunFytBQppmsWOFKH1x8U3EAQ=/1280x0/smart/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/advancelocal/WW67SSJ7UJGO5HTTXN2FC5ECWA.jpeg

Look at the bright side, this guy was sent packing.

ElNono
08-03-2022, 05:59 AM
Not a fan of the death penalty, tbh... don't mean this particular guy didn't have it coming, but from the standpoint that incarceration is supposed to be a form of rehabilitation (debatable if it works that way at all), the death penalty feels like the State quitting.

Also, from a philosophical standpoint, it's a penalty with absolute finality. I'd like to see a higher standard for it. Over 20 people have been fully exonerated by new DNA evidence while being in death row, and obviously we don't know how many were killed before this was even a thing.

Fallible systems with final solutions don't make sense to me, tbh...

Blake
08-03-2022, 11:15 AM
^ the finality, yeah is issue #1 with it.

Issue 2 is the cost effectiveness. Cheaper for a life sentence

SpursforSix
08-03-2022, 01:19 PM

That doesn't seem right. Housing someone for 10 years seems like it'd have to be way more expensive that killing them. If it's true, it means they're overspending on how they kill the prisoner. I still don't understand why a state wouldn't just shoot the person. And also not make it an event where everyone has to come in and watch. Also, I think if someone is sentenced for life, they should have the option of going straight to the death penalty.

As to the death penalty, I don't morally disagree with it. But if you're going to kill someone, the state needs to be 100% that they did the crime. I don't think we're anywhere near that. It really needs to be looked at on a case by case basis. It doesn't seem like there's so many people on death row that that's not an option on a state level. It's kind or ridiculous that it comes down to one person to grant a stay. And that person is probably too busy to put the necessary thought into it.

spurraider21
08-03-2022, 01:24 PM
lol derp feels compelled to defend retarded alabama laws to own the libs of spurstalk

ElNono
08-03-2022, 01:44 PM

That doesn't seem right. Housing someone for 10 years seems like it'd have to be way more expensive that killing them. If it's true, it means they're overspending on how they kill the prisoner. I still don't understand why a state wouldn't just shoot the person. And also not make it an event where everyone has to come in and watch. Also, I think if someone is sentenced for life, they should have the option of going straight to the death penalty.

As to the death penalty, I don't morally disagree with it. But if you're going to kill someone, the state needs to be 100% that they did the crime. I don't think we're anywhere near that. It really needs to be looked at on a case by case basis. It doesn't seem like there's so many people on death row that that's not an option on a state level. It's kind or ridiculous that it comes down to one person to grant a stay. And that person is probably too busy to put the necessary thought into it.

I understand the money equation, though the US as a whole murders ~20 inmates a year, so I'm not sure it really registers. Also, like I said, I just would like to see a higher standard of evidence for it (as SfS is pointing out as well).

On the 'show' of execution, this is normally done in front of family of victims, etc, in what, IMO, can only be described as State-sponsored revenge. It's pure savagery for the sake of making a politico look good, and I have serious doubts that actually watching the execution brings any more 'closure' than not watching it.

Blake
08-03-2022, 01:47 PM

Death penalty vs. life in prison: The costs
An analysis by the office of the Tennessee comptroller found that the average cost of death penalty trials cost almost 50 percent more than both trials with life without parole and life with the possibility of parole

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/local/death-penalty-vs-life-in-prison-the-costs/51-581820292

SpursforSix
08-03-2022, 02:12 PM
Death penalty vs. life in prison: The costs
An analysis by the office of the Tennessee comptroller found that the average cost of death penalty trials cost almost 50 percent more than both trials with life without parole and life with the possibility of parole

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/local/death-penalty-vs-life-in-prison-the-costs/51-581820292

This is specifically talking about the trials and not the cost of incarceration. The same article cites:

The execution of an inmate saves the state approximately $773,736 for the future
imprisonment of the inmate when compared to an inmate sentenced to life without
parole. Executions save $680,549 when compared to inmates sentenced to life with
the possibility of parole.

Blake
08-03-2022, 02:40 PM
This is specifically talking about the trials and not the cost of incarceration. The same article cites:

The execution of an inmate saves the state approximately $773,736 for the future
imprisonment of the inmate when compared to an inmate sentenced to life without
parole. Executions save $680,549 when compared to inmates sentenced to life with
the possibility of parole.

Yeah, I just threw that out while busy with other stuff. There's plenty of googling to find stuff on it. It's the court fees and the appeals that is expensive.

If there is no appeal, I'm guessing it's gonna be cheaper but what inmate doesn't appeal?

DMC
08-03-2022, 05:31 PM
Not a fan of the death penalty, tbh... don't mean this particular guy didn't have it coming, but from the standpoint that incarceration is supposed to be a form of rehabilitation (debatable if it works that way at all), the death penalty feels like the State quitting.

Also, from a philosophical standpoint, it's a penalty with absolute finality. I'd like to see a higher standard for it. Over 20 people have been fully exonerated by new DNA evidence while being in death row, and obviously we don't know how many were killed before this was even a thing.

He's rehabilitated. He's never going to break another law.

DMC
08-03-2022, 05:32 PM
Yeah, I just threw that out while busy with other stuff. There's plenty of googling to find stuff on it. It's the court fees and the appeals that is expensive.

If there is no appeal, I'm guessing it's gonna be cheaper but what inmate doesn't appeal to folks on the left?

FIFY

Blake
08-03-2022, 05:37 PM
Lame even for you

DMC
08-03-2022, 05:42 PM
Blake has a grudge :lol

ducks
08-03-2022, 05:57 PM
Could you see her panties ?

ducks
08-03-2022, 06:00 PM

I think some causes warrant it not all
However prison is suppose to be prison
Not a gym tv internet
Earning a degree online

Yuma territory prison was actually a prison
People who went there did not come back.
It was a prison !

Blake
08-03-2022, 06:04 PM
Blake has a grudge :lol

Or you're just lame

Blake
08-03-2022, 06:13 PM
Not a gym tv internet
Earning a degree online

It was a prison !

Ducks is jealous of educated prisoners

ElNono
08-04-2022, 07:38 AM
He's rehabilitated. He's never going to break another law.

:lol

ElNono
08-04-2022, 07:47 AM
Not a gym tv internet
Earning a degree online

It was a prison !

The vast majority of people imprisoned will have to go back to society at some point, that’s why it always made sense that prisons also worked on rehabilitation to reinsert those people in civil society. That changed around the mid 70s though, and it became much more of a punishment system. There’s a good read about this here:

https://www.apa.org/monitor/julaug03/rehab