PDA

View Full Version : Sports Guy's One Month NBA Review

leemajors
11-30-2005, 04:57 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/051130

tidbits:
THE CONTENDERS

2. Detroit
Classic moment in the second game of the season: Blount makes a jumper with 0.8 seconds remaining to put the Celtics up by one. The crowd goes crazy. Pierce jumps on Blount, knocks him over and then everyone else pig piles on them. Meanwhile, the Pistons are watching this whole thing unfold and thinking, "Um, we still have one second left and Rip Hamilton's on our team." So they call timeout, set up the picket-fence play for Rip -- somewhere, Dennis Hopper was smiling -- and Rip curls around the double screen and sinks a wide-open jumper. Ball game. And then he did the thing where he skips around holding the letters of his jersey out.

(The lesson, as always: Don't pull that crap with the Detroit Pistons.)

1. San Antonio
Every year, Duncan and the Spurs fly to Boston and beat the absolute crap out of the Celtics. And every year, my Dad comes home from the game, calls me and says, "They toyed with us, they absolutely toyed with us. What a great team. I remember when we used to toy with teams like that."

(Granted, that was 20 years ago. But he's right.)

ok, ok i included the spurs part to get to the really funny part of the article:

Mitigating Factor: For five months, I've been racking my brain trying to figure out why Phil Jackson would take this job for any reason other than "He's whipped by his girlfriend" or "Maybe this is the NBA coaching equivalent of Dennis Miller's pocketing $5 million for 'Bordello of Blood.'" But what if he's secretly sitting on a giant book contract about this season, and he's been secretly taking copious notes the entire time? So he makes $10 million from the Lakers and another $5 million from the best-selling book, tentatively titled, "Mamba and Me: My Season Coaching a Guy Who Nicknamed Himself After A Deadly Python." And then he's out the door on July 1 and living in Malibu in a much bigger house, along with his butler, Charley Rosen. I think this could have some legs.

is it just me or is kobe nicknaming himself MAMBA the funniest thing in the world? it's all i could think about whenever he touched the ball last night...

TwoHandJam
11-30-2005, 04:59 PM
is it just me or is kobe nicknaming himself MAMBA the funniest thing in the world? it's all i could think about whenever he touched the ball last night...

He did that?

:lmao

leemajors
11-30-2005, 05:15 PM
it matches well with his black tights.

Prefontaine
11-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Kobe=Tom Cruise

strangeweather
11-30-2005, 05:49 PM
along with his butler, Charley Rosen.

:lmao

mikejones99
12-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Great article. Bill Simmons watches more NBA than most sports reporters. Go to page 2 on espn.com for more of his take on NBA and Spurs. Why was Beno in and NVX not vs ATL?