PDA

View Full Version : House of Dragon (HBO)

lefty20
08-20-2022, 04:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DotnJ7tTA34

Finally read Fire & Blood recently and it's easy to see why HBO green lit this DoD civil war storyline. It was definitely my favorite part.

illusioNtEk
08-20-2022, 09:51 PM
Finally...A reason to buy red wine again

InRareForm
08-22-2022, 07:25 AM
Solid pilot

lefty
08-22-2022, 08:51 AM
Didn't watch GOT :lol

Can I watch HOD without having watched the former lol

InRareForm
08-22-2022, 10:34 AM
Didn't watch GOT :lol

Can I watch HOD without having watched the former lol

Yeah it happened before GOT so it's ideal

elbamba1
08-22-2022, 10:57 AM
I know this is the cooler story but I would have liked to see the conquest first.

Xevious
08-22-2022, 11:17 AM
I know it's only one episode but it seems solid. It definitely has a consistent feel/quality to the original show, even using some of the same musical themes. Hopefully with George Martin having a hands-on exec producer role they'll be able to avoid some of the problems GoT had in later seasons.

InRareForm
08-22-2022, 01:07 PM
I know it's only one episode but it seems solid. It definitely has a consistent feel/quality to the original show, even using some of the same musical themes. Hopefully with George Martin having a hands-on exec producer role they'll be able to avoid some of the problems GoT had in later seasons.

Well the book fire and blood is completed, they won't have to make shit up on the fly this time around

Xevious
08-22-2022, 08:33 PM
Well the book fire and blood is completed, they won't have to make shit up on the fly this time around
Yeah. I just hope they have a fairly short run and definitive end mapped out. Stick to the book and move on to another series.

Joseph Kony
08-22-2022, 09:13 PM
Yeah the first ep was solid. I am cautiously optimistic about this series but given how GoT ended I dont want to get my hopes up :lol

BD24
08-22-2022, 11:55 PM
I know this is the cooler story but I would have liked to see the conquest first.
I was thinking the same as I watched it. Start with the conquest as season 1, then you can transition into other stuff later.

lefty
08-23-2022, 10:31 AM
Yeah it happened before GOT so it's ideal
Thanks

Oh well I guess will skip that one

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-23-2022, 11:19 AM
Yeah, it was decent. Some unnecessary gory scenes, IMO, that really weren't needed to support the plot. In GOT, those sort of scenes were more timed to elicit the right emotional effect. Good casting, for the most part. Storyline appears to be solid. Tits and dragons...so there's that.

benefactor
08-23-2022, 01:17 PM
Agree with general consensus tbh

08-23-2022, 02:44 PM
debating whether to give this a chance or not after wasting my time for years with those later mediocre GOT seasons tbh

lefty20
08-23-2022, 07:16 PM
Yeah, it was decent. Some unnecessary gory scenes, IMO, that really weren't needed to support the plot. In GOT, those sort of scenes were more timed to elicit the right emotional effect. Good casting, for the most part. Storyline appears to be solid. Tits and dragons...so there's that.

Went well in line with the acts of brutality mentioned in the book.

I thought it was a solid start. Can't wait to watch the rest.

lefty20
08-23-2022, 07:40 PM

Ngl, I'd love to see their conflict against Dorne play out on the screen. Definitely my favorite part of Aegon I's reign.

DMC
08-24-2022, 10:42 AM
The dragon part makes is a bit candy assed. I know they had dragons in GOT but it was mostly a mystery for much of the series. The tilting was on point.

lefty20
08-26-2022, 05:18 PM
Officially renewed for Season 2.

But I wonder if they'll just continue after DoD or jump around the 300 year timeline.

InRareForm
08-30-2022, 12:21 PM
Lot of awkward, uncomfortable social scenes that episode lol.

elbamba1
08-30-2022, 01:24 PM
Lot of awkward, uncomfortable social scenes that episode lol.

Time losing its relevance is also happening again. I remember when Stannis sailing from Dragonstone to the Red Keep took like an entire season and it took Otto Hightower like a week. I get they need to push the story along but when Alicent and starts having kids are they going to be teenagers in the same season? This story takes place over like 24 years and that is just to the death of Viserys. I can suspend belief but if they want to make this good then this season shouldn't go past the breaking apart of Alicent and Rhaenyra and maybe Daemon conquering the crab king. Anything past that and this will start to look a lot like the last season of GOT.

Trill Clinton
08-30-2022, 02:23 PM
Fire episode. Team Daemon and Corlis.

BD24
08-30-2022, 10:30 PM
So far so good. The timeline moving forward so quickly kind of has to happen. I do wonder if they will stretch the DoD over multiple seasons. I kind of feel they have to if they want to do it right. We will see though

Xevious
09-01-2022, 09:52 PM
I do wonder if they will stretch the DoD over multiple seasons. I kind of feel they have to if they want to do it right. We will see though
Why wouldn't they? Isn't that what this series is about? Unless this becomes an anthology series to cover other Targaryen stories like Aegon's conquest and the Blackfyre rebellions?

leemajors
09-02-2022, 10:05 PM
After two eps of both, prefer Rings of Power so far tbh

DMC
09-03-2022, 11:26 AM
Why wouldn't they? Isn't that what this series is about? Unless this becomes an anthology series to cover other Targaryen stories like Aegon's conquest and the Blackfyre rebellions?

Or because of how shitty they ended GOT by making the entire series focal point do a nosedive into fucking her relative and becoming Hitler.

Xevious
09-03-2022, 04:54 PM
Or because of how shitty they ended GOT by making the entire series focal point do a nosedive into fucking her relative and becoming Hitler.

The Targaryens historically aren't nice people. Slavery, genocide, polygamy, incest... all commonplace. Viserys building a model and talking about old Valyria would be like a modern-day German talking about the good old days in 1930s Berlin. I have no issues with how Danerys ended up on GOT, the major problem was there was zero development or buildup. She went crazy in a matter of five minutes.

Xevious
09-04-2022, 06:28 PM
Really? Other than having a gargantuan budget and looking amazing, I find Rings of Power pretty boring so far.

leemajors
09-04-2022, 09:52 PM
Really? Other than having a gargantuan budget and looking amazing, I find Rings of Power pretty boring so far.

I was bored the first 5-10 minutes, but once the Snow Troll appeared I was hooked in. I was a little toasty but entertained after that all through the second ep.

SpursforSix
09-05-2022, 04:23 PM
Saw the first two. Think it’s very good so far. I’m optimistic at this point.

lefty20
09-05-2022, 04:59 PM
Some next level plot armor for Daemon. Rickon should've taken notes, tbh.

Also would've liked to see the duel between the two, no matter how brief it may have been.

leemajors
09-06-2022, 10:25 AM
Last 20 of that ep was pretty good.

lefty20
09-06-2022, 03:32 PM
I was bored the first 5-10 minutes, but once the Snow Troll appeared I was hooked in. I was a little toasty but entertained after that all through the second ep.

Caught up last night.

I know nothing about Middle Earth/Tolkien lore outside of what's been shown in the movies. So I'm hooked on the show because idk what's happening or how exactly shits gonna go down. Def gonna keep watching.

SpursforSix
09-06-2022, 03:40 PM
Caught up last night.

I know nothing about Middle Earth/Tolkien lore outside of what's been shown in the movies. So I'm hooked on the show because idk what's happening or how exactly shits gonna go down. Def gonna keep watching.

Same man. I saw all the LOTR and enjoyed them but it was so long ago, I don't know how they tie into House of Dragon. But I'm not sure if I care. It stands on it's own. It would be cool to see some tie ins to Bonemaster or Schelrith. But I get that can't be done until they decide to start wrapping up the series.

chunticakes
09-09-2022, 11:28 AM

This.

SpursforSix
09-09-2022, 01:12 PM
This.

Shit. Really? I've kind of been putting that off. Hearing that it's better gives me a little woody.

BD24
09-12-2022, 10:50 AM
Last nights episode was kinda meh. But, it set up future episodes pretty nicely

DMC
09-13-2022, 08:34 AM

It's ok, but really for me only provides "oh that's what's his name's relatives" or "hey that must be Gandalf". The storyline itself isn't interesting because we know the outcome already.

DMC
09-13-2022, 08:38 AM
The Targaryens historically aren't nice people. Slavery, genocide, polygamy, incest... all commonplace. Viserys building a model and talking about old Valyria would be like a modern-day German talking about the good old days in 1930s Berlin. I have no issues with how Danerys ended up on GOT, the major problem was there was zero development or buildup. She went crazy in a matter of five minutes.

Yeah I didn't care how she went, just that it made sense. She didn't go apeshit when her hubby died but when her friend was murdered she decides to go scorched Earth (literally) and the killing of Sam's relatives was a bit OTT.

leemajors
09-13-2022, 10:48 AM
It's ok, but really for me only provides "oh that's what's his name's relatives" or "hey that must be Gandalf". The storyline itself isn't interesting because we know the outcome already.

Also applies to House of Dragons?

Trill Clinton
09-13-2022, 11:56 AM
Loving Hot D so far. Hopefully the budget for CGI gets better before we get to the Dance of Dragons.

Xevious
09-13-2022, 10:31 PM
Even if we know the eventual outcome of Westeros, we don't know how it got there and what role these particular characters played (unless you've read Fire and Blood). The scheming and political intrigue has always been part of the fun.

Rings of Power (judging by the characters introduced so far), just seems to be an extended version of the LOTR prologue. That might even be interesting, and I hope it does improve, but I'm just finding every character extremely wooden and cliche so far.

DMC
09-13-2022, 11:02 PM

Nah I don't know canon for GOT. I didn't keep up with all the families and their histories. However I saw the trilogy for LOTR in the theater and have watched these shows a few times, and have read the books so I cannot help but know them all.

lefty20
09-19-2022, 04:05 AM
That was a brilliant episode. They're doing a fantastic job building the foundation for the Greens v Black conflict.

Acting wise pretty much everyone is killing it.

BD24
09-19-2022, 02:31 PM
They have done an awesome job so far tbh. The time lapses make it kind of difficult, but they have done a good job of keeping the audience informed during the time lapses if that makes sense

BD24
09-19-2022, 02:33 PM
Even if we know the eventual outcome of Westeros, we don't know how it got there and what role these particular characters played (unless you've read Fire and Blood). The scheming and political intrigue has always been part of the fun.

Rings of Power (judging by the characters introduced so far), just seems to be an extended version of the LOTR prologue. That might even be interesting, and I hope it does improve, but I'm just finding every character extremely wooden and cliche so far.
That’s my issue with LoTR in general. All of the characters are just black and white. And while they may have been good characters for the time. I feel they haven’t aged well and don’t hold my interest particularly

Xevious
09-19-2022, 10:04 PM
That’s my issue with LoTR in general. All of the characters are just black and white. And while they may have been good characters for the time. I feel they haven’t aged well and don’t hold my interest particularly
Well yeah if we're comparing one literary series to another, there's no question that the characters in Ice and Fire have way more shades of grey.

leemajors
09-20-2022, 08:56 AM

Well, that is not surprising given one series was the beginning of the modern genre.

benefactor
09-20-2022, 10:45 AM
Next episode is 10 years later:tu

BD24
09-20-2022, 02:23 PM
Next episode is 10 years later:tu
It's gonna get wild tbh. That little cunt Aegon looks like he is growing up quite a bit in the next one.

elbamba1
09-23-2022, 04:08 PM
I really liked the bronze bitch scene. I was curious how they would depict it and it didn't disappoint.

Chris Fall
09-26-2022, 09:20 AM
It's only one episode and perhaps they did such a good job that it made me biased, but I preferred both younger actresses of Rhaenyra and Alicent to the decade later actresses.

The younger Rhaenyra actress in particular had a very intriguing potentially evil side developing.

BD24
09-26-2022, 12:15 PM
I'd tend to agree with the younger Rhaenyra actress. I thought the older Alicent actually did an excellent job. Also, lol at Daemon not aging a day and Viserys loooking like death, yea I know Viserys is literally dying. But, still amusing that Daemon basically looks the same age as Rhaenrya now.

BD24
10-03-2022, 02:24 PM
Last nights episode was by far the worst in the series. You had to suspend belief for a lot of it to work. The characters had to be made morons for it to work as well. The biggest issue was Alicent taking a knife to the heir. I’m sorry, you do that in any monarchy in history or GoT world your executed or at least imprisoned for life.

I am curious what they are going to do with Laenor though, since he actually died in the books. I’ll still keep watching as it’s been good so far. But, it seems they may be going down the doing the most for shock value trail that later seasons of game of thrones did

lefty20
10-03-2022, 09:10 PM
Last nights episode was by far the worst in the series. You had to suspend belief for a lot of it to work. The characters had to be made morons for it to work as well. The biggest issue was Alicent taking a knife to the heir. I’m sorry, you do that in any monarchy in history or GoT world your executed or at least imprisoned for life.

I am curious what they are going to do with Laenor though, since he actually died in the books. I’ll still keep watching as it’s been good so far. But, it seems they may be going down the doing the most for shock value trail that later seasons of game of thrones did

Viserys is weak af. Any other monarch would've made Alicent pay a heavy price for her actions. Of course, it also goes without saying that a stronger monarch/father would've tried harder to rein in Rhaenyra.

Idk how they're gonna convince Seasmoke that Laenor is dead. Cuz he definitely gets a new rider. Maybe have Laenor be a casualty of a Hurricane Ian during his voyage or have him die in the free city conflict across the narrow sea.

Also, they prolly jumped the gun on the wedding. Should've at least waited until the next episode or something. Unless I missed a mid-episode time skip.

BD24
10-03-2022, 10:51 PM
I feel show viserys is weaker than book viserys. But, I feel they aren’t giving him enough credit regardless. Even someone weaker like him would take action against someone that attacked hi daughter the heir. Alas

lefty20
10-10-2022, 06:01 PM
That was fucking awesome. Sucks that Corlys has to die off screen but I was pretty happy with everything else.

Paddy and Matt Smith are fucking killing it. This show gonna clean up at the Emmys, tbh.

Xevious
10-10-2022, 07:51 PM
That was fucking awesome. Sucks that Corlys has to die off screen but I was pretty happy with everything else.

Paddy and Matt Smith are fucking killing it. This show gonna clean up at the Emmys, tbh.
Viserys waits until he's literally on death's door to grow a pair. Him walking into the thrown room to take care of business was an amazing scene.

BD24
10-10-2022, 09:04 PM

Paddy and Matt Smith definitely the two stand outs from an acting perspective. I mean….did they ever confirm he was dead though tbh? He’s pretty important in the later stages of the book. They could make him have a Miraculous recovery

lefty20
10-10-2022, 09:24 PM
Paddy and Matt Smith definitely the two stand outs from an acting perspective. I mean….did they ever confirm he was dead though tbh? He’s pretty important in the later stages of the book. They could make him have a Miraculous recovery

I don't watch the after show special, so I'm not sure if they explicitly mention anything during that.

But it sure sounded like he stopped breathing after, presumably, thinking of Aemma one final time.

And it appears that his job is done on the show. He publicly reaffirmed his support of Rhaenyra, then later confused Alicent into thinking her Aegon is the Chose One. Perfect time for him to peace out and enjoy the chaos :lol

elbamba1
10-11-2022, 03:17 PM

Corlys isn't dead. He just suffered an injury off screen. He will play a major role next season. I don't like that Daemon killed his brother though, in the books, they had their tongues removed, which is what should have happened here.

elbamba1
10-11-2022, 03:19 PM
I don't watch the after show special, so I'm not sure if they explicitly mention anything during that.

But it sure sounded like he stopped breathing after, presumably, thinking of Aemma one final time.

And it appears that his job is done on the show. He publicly reaffirmed his support of Rhaenyra, then later confused Alicent into thinking her Aegon is the Chose One. Perfect time for him to peace out and enjoy the chaos :lol I misunderstood. The King definitely died in episode 8.

lefty20
10-11-2022, 06:15 PM
https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/

It is going to take four full seasons of 10 episodes each to do justice to the Dance of the Dragons, from start to finish.

:danceclub

benefactor
10-11-2022, 06:44 PM

:tu...good shit

Leetonidas
10-11-2022, 06:53 PM
So....Rhaenyra isn't gonna be queen is she :lol

BD24
10-11-2022, 10:38 PM
So....Rhaenyra isn't gonna be queen is she :lol
You want the spoilers big dog?

elbamba1
10-12-2022, 03:32 PM

I don't know how. They flew through the first 20 years in a season. I think the actual dance is like 2 years.

Leetonidas
10-12-2022, 03:34 PM
You want the spoilers big dog?

Nah :lol I kinda have an idea based on some of the comments in made in GOT that she's probably going to be eaten by her brothers dragon

lefty20
10-12-2022, 06:03 PM
I don't know how. They flew through the first 20 years in a season. I think the actual dance is like 2 years.

Yup. There's enough here to make it 3 more seasons. And GRRM will be hands-on regarding helping with the script. I have faith they can pull this off.

Use the next 2.5~ seasons for the Dance then use later parts of 4th season for the Hour of the Wolf.

Xevious
10-12-2022, 06:17 PM
Yup. There's enough here to make it 3 more seasons. And GRRM will be hands-on regarding helping with the script. I have faith they can pull this off.

Use the next 2.5~ seasons for the Dance then use later parts of 4th season for the Hour of the Wolf.

HBO will do whatever GRRM wants, so that's probably what will happen.

But with how fast things were progressing early on, I kind of thought that House of the Dragon would be treated as more of an anthology series. Maybe dedicating a couple seasons each to the Dance, Aegon's conquest, the Blackfyre rebellions, etc

lefty20
10-12-2022, 06:29 PM
I'd definitely wager that we will see all of those event played out on screen at some point. HBO gonna milk every penny out of this universe.

There are even rumors of other smaller spin offs like Sea Snake's 9 great voyages.

BD24
10-13-2022, 04:20 PM
HBO will do whatever GRRM wants, so that's probably what will happen.

But with how fast things were progressing early on, I kind of thought that House of the Dragon would be treated as more of an anthology series. Maybe dedicating a couple seasons each to the Dance, Aegon's conquest, the Blackfyre rebellions, etc
Aegons conquest would be cool. Also a prequel series that is roberts rebellion would be fun. They need to wait for GRRM to finish F&B 2 before that happens though.

supposedly the show creators wanted to jump right into the dance, but George insisted that they needed to have the setup before hand. Probably why this felt so rushed. Definitely could have split it into 2 seasons imo

lefty20
10-17-2022, 02:48 AM
Fuck the Greens, tbh.

I genuinely don't get the people who are rooting for these cunts.

I get that Daemon and Rheaenyra are no saints, but same is true of the Greens. Then there's the fact that they have no legal leg to stand on, just straight up usurpers.

Can't wait for the finale. It does suck that we will likely have to wait ~18 months for the next season.

BD24
10-17-2022, 09:38 AM
I was pretty annoyed that they gave Alicent the out in the last episode with Visery’s rambling. Given she heard what she wanted to hear and was going to move forward with aegon anyway. Was just annoyed they gave her that out though. Also, the moment with Rhaenys at the end was pretty dope. Although I feel realistically she would have/should have killed all of those cunts then and there and ended the entire thing.

but yea, the greens are scum. I’ll never get book fans that root for them either. Like you said, Daemon and Rhaenrya have their issues. But, they are nowhere near as bad as the greens

Xevious
10-17-2022, 09:43 PM
Who is rooting for the Greens tbh? I've not read Fire and Blood, but the show is pretty heavy-handed in Black favoritism (even when Daemon does some pretty dispicable shit). If for no other reason, Otto is basically the main antagonist of season 1.

Xevious
10-17-2022, 09:52 PM
I was pretty annoyed that they gave Alicent the out in the last episode with Visery’s rambling. Given she heard what she wanted to hear and was going to move forward with aegon anyway. Was just annoyed they gave her that out though.
I'm not sure I liked that either. Alicent going along with usurping the thrown basically came down to a misunderstanding? She was a raving bitch a couple episodes ago, and now she's questioning her father's actions as she goes along with them anyway. Get the fuck outta here.

Trill Clinton
10-18-2022, 10:43 AM
Great episode but the foot fetish thing was unexpected.

elbamba1
10-18-2022, 11:10 AM
Great episode but the foot fetish thing was unexpected. I didn't care for that. One of the best parts of the books is not knowing Strong's motivation for anything he does. That scene felt cheap.

The last scene was amazing. Few times do I give credit to the show over the books but that scene was simply amazing.

Leetonidas
10-18-2022, 12:26 PM
So Rhaenys really could have just ended them all but decided against it because :cry Alicent is a mother too :cry that was kinda lame. i knew she wasnt going to but man i really wish she would have at least burned or ate one of the Greens

BD24
10-18-2022, 01:11 PM
So Rhaenys really could have just ended them all but decided against it because :cry Alicent is a mother too :cry that was kinda lame. i knew she wasnt going to but man i really wish she would have at least burned or ate one of the Greens
+1. Just pluck aegon and aemond the pirate. Have your dragon eat them and war over tbh

Allan Rowe vs Wade
10-24-2022, 10:54 AM
that fat fuck needs to finish his og series tbh

getting distracted by dett paper

Trill Clinton
10-24-2022, 11:00 AM
Fire finale. Greens just fucked up. Aemond is the only Green I fuck with. Queen Rhaenyra and Prince Daemon about to go in.

BD24
10-24-2022, 06:39 PM
I enjoyed the finale. Solid first season. Bummer it’s gonna take so long for season 2 to come out

lefty20
10-24-2022, 06:54 PM
Excellent first season and they picked the perfect spot to end it.

Bring on the war crimes...

Xevious
10-24-2022, 08:54 PM
Great finale. This episode did a good job showing that while dragons have a unique bond with their riders (Syrax screaming when Rhaenyra was in pain), they also have a mind of their own and are not easily controlled by these young, inexperienced boys.

Momo
10-24-2022, 09:27 PM
Great finale. This episode did a good job showing that while dragons have a unique bond with their riders (Syrax screaming when Rhaenyra was in pain), they also have a mind of their own and are not easily controlled by these young, inexperienced boys.
Unlike Avante

InRareForm
10-24-2022, 09:35 PM
Finale kind of felt like a another episode... But great show and 19 episodes nonetheless

FkLA
11-04-2022, 10:58 PM
So the Velaryons die off at some point? I don't remember the name or any black/white hair family in GOT, tbh.

I was kinda rooting for the Hightowers. Alicent is not a bad person, imo. Although I think the son with the one eye would make a much better king than the oldest son. Rhaenyra and Daemon are entitled af. Killing off spouses left and right and wanting bastards to be legitimate heirs. :lol