PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Gilbert Arenas

timvp
03-13-2003, 01:32 AM
If other FA's don't come to San Antonio, do you go after Gilbert Arenas? The Warriors are limited in what they can offer, so that would play right into the Spurs' hands.

A Parker and Arenas duo would be nice:hat2

Peter
03-13-2003, 01:35 AM
It is definitely intriguing. In addition the Spurs would not have to give him the max, IMO. Start him at $8 mil. That would give you a $34 mil guaranteed payroll. Should the cap be $40 mil then you would have $6 mil to work with. Perhaps it is a stretch but how about Tyrone Hill and Robert Horry?

SanAntonioBard
03-13-2003, 01:36 AM
Why does GS pull him in the 4th almost every game?:fro

timvp
03-13-2003, 01:38 AM
I think they pull him because he's not really a PG. He's a guy who plays better of the ball.

And with Tony Parker running the show, that wouldn't be a problem in SA.

Yes, starting him around $8M gives us even more options.

Peter
03-13-2003, 01:42 AM
So Ginobili is relegated to the bench?

timvp
03-13-2003, 01:45 AM
If the Spurs do go after Arenas, I guess that means Ginobili will be a career bench player. So far, so good for him in that role.

But the word around the team is they expect big things from him.

It will be interesting to see whether they expect enough of him to turn down a talent like Arenas.

Remember -- part of their reasoning for not giving in to Derek Anderson is because they knew Ginobili would be a good player down the line.

SanAntonioBard
03-13-2003, 01:47 AM
I think Pop is very wary of game playing agents. That shezzit of he and Rich skipping practice was BS. He has the million $ talent, but does he have a five cent head?

Peter
03-13-2003, 01:47 AM
Is Arenas good enough to be a championship level second offensive threat?

timvp
03-13-2003, 02:02 AM
Arenas is a top notch scorer. He's a little small for the two spot, but as pure scorers go -- he's one of the best to come into the league I've seen in a while. He reminds me a little of Joe Dumars in the way he scores.

But as Bard said, he is still immature. He had the skipped practice and he also went through a stretch where he blamed his poor play on "not liking basketball enough".

But I think he's an option this summer we shouldn't dismiss.

Peter
03-13-2003, 02:08 AM
Detroit won two titles with a small backcourt. But is that something that a team cannot get away with in today's NBA?

timvp
03-13-2003, 02:10 AM
The two guards have gotten bigger and more athletic since the late '80s, so that could be a problem. Arenas would definately be a step down defensively.

I guess it depends whether you take the risk thinking that Arenas can eventually give you around 20 points per game.

Peter
03-13-2003, 02:17 AM
Maybe Big Game Dave returns for one more season? Elliott speculated about that during a Spurs broadcast. His point was that you could limit DRob's minutes during the season and that even if it was only 15 minutes per game that is tantamount to 30 minutes a game from most of his potential 'replacements.'

Honestly I do not see DRob changing his mind. He's not the type to pull a Jordan.

timvp
03-13-2003, 02:19 AM
Robinson has a couple more years left in him, especially if he comes off the bench for 10-15 minutes a game.

But yes, you're right, he won't come back. Valerie wouldn't let him:cuss

Rabel 13
03-13-2003, 02:58 AM
Manu will be the starter at the 2 guard next year.

If he is not then there is something funny going on.

I would prefer to go after a guy that can play the 3.

But whatever....

let the good times roll.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-13-2003, 03:02 AM
It's too bad that there aren't more "bigs" available next summer.

Although I think the Spurs will pursue Kidd, I don't think he'll make the Spurs THAT much better.

Someone like Arenas would be a nice addition, but then what does that mean for Manu and SJax.

I think Manu and SJax will keep improving. Of course, Arenas will too.

I'd like to see us beef up the front court, but if it means pursuing Kandi, I'd sooner see Arenas as a Spur.

Rabel 13
03-13-2003, 03:03 AM
Rasho looked pretty good tonight.

Perhaps throw some cash at him?

Maybe 6 million or so?

timvp
03-13-2003, 04:17 AM
I'm not impressed with Rasho as a lot of people are. He's soft and gets scared easy.

He wouldn't be bad as a token center, but I wouldn't give him much more than $3-4M.

Nbadan
03-13-2003, 05:52 AM
Sorry guys, I can't see the Spurs spending $8 million per year on Arenas. Especially, since he would be a cancer on the bench and in the locker-room if he didn't start or get his minutes and shots. POP wouldn't put up with that.

SpursPride
03-13-2003, 06:38 AM
Timvp why do you think Rasho is soft or gets scared ??? Do soft players get 9 blocks in a game? He has a very nice hook shot if thats what you mean by soft

timvp
03-13-2003, 07:13 AM
Get back to me after the first round:smokin2

KoriEllis
03-13-2003, 08:31 AM
Sorry guys, I can't see the Spurs spending $8 million per year on Arenas.

I'm with Dan on this. I wouldn't spend money on Arenas either. The guy is extremely immature and doesn't have that well-rounded of a game to be worth wasting that much cash on him.

pfc2002
03-13-2003, 03:16 PM
I love Rasho. HE's been shooting out of his mind lately. I look at his stats and he's being getting 12 shots and hitting 10. OR like last night 7 out of 10. He is unselfish and a team player.

IMO he's not soft but he isn't going to will you to win (at 7' those are the MAX money types) or be the guy that wants the last shot. In other words he's just the kind of player the spurs need. Manu, TP, TD and SJAX are the b@lls players -- Rasho's mindset fits in perfectly.

Lots of spurs offense comes from the pentrations from SJAX, TP or Manu passing off to Duncan,DRob or Malik for the easy slam. Rasho has soft hands so he fits that roll perfectly. Plus Malik is kind of like a mini starter so Rasho's not going to get starter minutes.

IMO Rasho is going to get a contract starting around 7 million with at least 4 guaranteed years. If we win it all IMO he's the perfect fit. Sign everyone else for 1 year deals and next year have the money to pay Manu market rate (ie WELL over the MLE).

timvp
03-13-2003, 05:54 PM
I'm with Dan on this. I wouldn't spend money on Arenas either. The guy is extremely immature and doesn't have that well-rounded of a game to be worth wasting that much cash on him.

The thing is that he's 20. And if paired with another 20-year-old, that is a great backcourt for the next 15 years.

But yes, there are some questions about Arenas. Offensively though, I think he'd eventually give you 20+ points a night.

P.S.

No way I'd pay Rasho $7M.

pfc2002
03-13-2003, 06:07 PM
hmmm... maybe I overshot on what Rasho will get :o ... It's going to be interesting to see what Rasho get's and Arenas too. Even if it's not for the spurs I'm excited to see how these salaries play out

Big Syke
03-13-2003, 06:46 PM
I'd take Arenas over Kidd!

Arenas is going to be an all-star ... he might be the best twenty year old on the planet!

Arenas will be fillin' up arenas for years to come:drunk

KoriEllis
03-13-2003, 07:20 PM
Maybe I'm nuts, but I'm not high on Rasho or Arenas. I'd rather stand pat than take either of those two.

SpursForever
03-13-2003, 08:29 PM
LMAO

You think the Spurs could get Gilbert Arenas. Talk about overkill with Tony Parker:wtf

Be happy if you land PJ Brown.

Damn:pc2

baseline bum
03-13-2003, 09:16 PM
I think Arenas is too much like Parker. I'd much rather have Kidd running the offense. Parker's been on fire ever since Pop asked him to score more and quit worrying about setting everyone up. I think you add Arenas and both his game and Parker's suffers because there won't be as many shots to go around. Add Kidd and there's a lot less pressure on Duncan. Instead of having to get everyone else easy shots Duncan can focus on scoring when he gets the ball. I'd much rather have kidd running the offense in the halfcourt than Duncan. Tim's not the passer someone like Webber or Sabonis is, and thus I don't think he should be the one running the team every halfcourt set. Kidd is and eh'll make Duncan's life a hell of a lot earier IMO.

timvp
03-27-2003, 03:17 AM
www.bayarea.com/mld/mercu...484045.htm (http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/5484045.htm)

http://www.nba.com/media/warriors/gilbert-wave.jpg

Arenas' best move: no move
POINT GUARD WOULD BENEFIT IN LONG RUN BY STAYING WITH WARRIORS
By Tim Kawakami
Mercury News

It's foolhardy to guess what Gilbert Arenas is going to do this summer, mostly because Arenas himself doesn't know what he's going to do the very next day, play or dribble.

But let me try . . . I'm hardly a Warriors Rosey-Scenario diarist, but an honest evaluation reveals reasons Arenas might (and should?) remain a Warrior this summer:

• He's a California kid. He likes it here. This can't be overlooked.

If Arenas skirmishes occasionally with Coach Eric Musselman, he still respects him. Playing for Denver's Jeff Bzdelik would be more inspiring?

Musselman opened up the offense (with Arenas as the main benefactor) and challenges players in a fair-minded but edgy way (which feeds Arenas' fair-minded but edgy nature).

• Arenas is buddies with Jason Richardson.

The Warriors would be better off if they traded Richardson for a defensive-minded forward. But if keeping Richardson means keeping Arenas, you figure out another way to get that forward.

• With Arenas as the centerpiece, the Warriors are free to trade Antawn Jamison. They'd end up tugging at each other, anyway; Arenas fits better with Mike Dunleavy as a ball-handling forward.

NBA sources say that despite Jamison's long-term deal, there would be a market for him, because you can always get something for a 20-point scorer.

• It might be wiser for Arenas to take a three-year deal from the Warriors with an opt-out after two.

That's the swiftest way for a former second-round pick to get ``Bird rights,'' which allow teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own veteran players.

This summer, the Warriors, who are over the cap, can offer Arenas only their mid-level exception -- about $4.5 million with annual raises, or about $15.2 million over three years. That's much less than the $45 million over six Denver might offer.

But the short-term deal would put Arenas on a faster schedule for an ultimate mega-deal (seven years, $70 million) in summer 2005, plus give the Warriors a few years to bloom.

• Beyond Denver, there might not be a bull market for Arenas this summer.

Only teams under the cap can offer Arenas more than the Warriors, which means Denver, the Los Angeles Clippers, Chicago, and possibly Orlando, Miami, San Antonio and one or two others.

Problem: Jason Kidd, Tim Duncan and Michael Olowokandi will eat up most of the free-agent attention this summer. And teams are looking ahead to the unrestricted free-agent possibilities of 2004: Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, Allen Iverson, Stephon Marbury and Elton Brand.

• The most important figure in this might be Otis Smith, the Warriors executive director for basketball operations, who has strong credibility with Arenas and his family. Smith, an executive to watch in league circles, can spread out all of the above information and make sure that Arenas' decision is not solely about immediate financial gain.

Coupled with Musselman, this is something the Warriors haven't had dating to the Bernard King days: voices that matter to the most valuable players at the most valuable moments.

THANKS TO MY FRIENDS at ESPN.com Insider, who sketched out the first round, we can do a hindsight-check through the blunders, successes and lingering mysteries from the 2002 NBA draft.

• I was right about: the huge potential of Amare Stoudemire (taken No. 9 by the Suns) and Nene Hilario (No. 4, Nuggets), and the terrible logic of the Pacers thinking that Oregon's Fred Jones (a bust at No. 14) was their future point guard.

• I was wrong about every other point guard when I praised: Dan Dickau (No. 29, Hawks), Frank Williams (No. 25, Knicks) and Jay Williams (No. 2, Bulls).

• Intriguing, but too soon to judge: Dunleavy (No. 3), Qyntel Woods (No. 21, Blazers), Casey Jacobsen (No. 22, Suns), Jared Jeffries (No. 11, Wizards) and Jiri Welsch (No. 16, Warriors).

THERE IT WAS, in Baseball America's annual ``Top 100 Prospects'' issue.

The Detroit Tigers, not known for abundant young talent, had two on the list: Right-handed pitchers Jeremy Bonderman (No. 20) and Franklyn German (No. 42).

The Tigers acquired both of them, plus second-year first baseman Carlos Peña, from the A's last summer for Jeff Weaver (whom A's General Manager Billy Beane traded for Ted Lilly) . . . so, hmm . . .

``Yes, Billy Beane may have made an ill-advised trade.'' Baseball America said it, not me. But I agree.

ONE THOUGHT and only one to slightly lessen the rapture by Giants fans caused by the trading of Livan Hernandez to Montreal:

Combined, he and Russ Ortiz (traded to Atlanta) logged 200 or more innings in a season five times in 2000-02.

Of the remaining members of the Giants' potential rotation, only Kirk Rueter has ever done that (203 2/3, last year), which means there are a whole lot of innings out there to be claimed.

Patrick Davis
03-27-2003, 03:32 AM
I would like to see him stay. He is a great player, and no doubt a starter. He will become a fan favorite in Golden State if he isn't allready and if he works at it and gets this team into the playoffs, has a chance at a retired jersey.

KoriEllis
03-27-2003, 05:24 PM
I have watched enough of this guy I guess. He's a good scorer, but I don't see what all the hype is about.

kohai
03-27-2003, 06:19 PM
The utimate judgement is that he gets pulled from games in the 4th in favor of Earl Boykins. I have to agree with Kori on this one. As far as I can see, he's just another young gunner with very little clue on how to play the game, other than to "get his". It's not just about the numbers. If it were, Earl Boykins wouldn't be finishing games, and the Sixers Derrick Coleman would have an outside shot at the HOF.

Patrick Davis
03-27-2003, 06:23 PM
Tony Parker was pulled for Terry Porter on ocassions last season. He isn't a star yet but I think he can be in the future.

kohai
03-27-2003, 06:43 PM
Patrick - Pop was managing Tony's minutes last year, and they still had to shut him down for a trip to IR for a 5 game stretch. Terry Porter isn't exactly a NBDL callup, either, the way that Boykins is. Your anaolgy would hold more water if TP were pulled for Junior Bridgeman or Mike Wilks.

Patrick Davis
03-27-2003, 06:50 PM
I think Parker will always be better. I was just trying to Illistrate that all young players need time to develop. And don't be hating on Boykins. The only reason he hasn't been playing since college is cause he is 5'5''. He controls the game fantastically.

Man in Black1
03-28-2003, 12:09 AM
Arenas right now is a bigger steal at Guard than Parker is.
Note I said right now.

Parker will verily be the difference in our ascendency to the championships but as it stands, because of his consistency throughtout the ENTIRE season. Arenas has been the better player.
Parker has given us some games where he stunk up the joint. I vividly remember the 0-10 against LA game 1 of this season. Since the comment though, Parker has been at attacking, shooting, penetrating guard and that has made him deadly. I also vividly remember the teardrop over Bradley and Nowitzki. Its a good matchup but as of right now, Arenas is the more well-rounded and solid player. :music

GO SPURS GO:spam

SanAntonioBard
03-28-2003, 01:07 AM
:rollin :rollin
Arenas has the stinko nights, too. Trust me on this. He's on my fantasy team. Arenas can't run a team in the half court, so for the Spurs proposes, Parker is the better deal. Amost everything for Arenas, scoring and dishing, comes in transition, a facet of most team's games that gets shut down in the playoffs.

timvp
03-28-2003, 06:35 AM
Arenas isn't a true point guard and the Spurs wouldn't ask him to be. In college and high-school, he was always the go-to scorer.

On the Spurs, he'd be a 20 point per game scorer.

I don't think this is an option that the Spurs can ignore.

Patrick Davis
03-28-2003, 06:39 AM
There are a lot of options, and I don't envy the Spurs front office in having to pick players, and push some aside. It will be a nerve racking off-season to see who we get.

Big Syke
03-28-2003, 05:57 PM
Arenas was a balla at Arizona. I think he'd light it up on the Spurs. The only question I have is his height. How tall is he? 6'2?

spurster
04-01-2003, 08:20 PM
His NBA page says 6'3".

A Parker-Arenas duo would be a little small. Plus, Pop likes to put Bowen on the SG or PG a lot, so you get two mismatches instead of just one.

If the Spurs, for whatever reason, don't get a player at the max, I would rather see a $6M-$8M offer to a bigman, rather than Arenas. As far as swingmen are concerned, maybe Stackhouse should be considered first.

mrcoon
04-01-2003, 08:59 PM
Well, I just read an article that said that Baylor was hinting at not resigning Andre Miller next year. Miller said that things just did not work out the way he had hoped. So, there's another possible PG available to the free agent market. Do I want any of them? Frankly, I'd like to resign Speedy, I think his market value is low considering his unfortunate injuries. He's knowledgable of our system already, don't have to "work in" too many new players...less to worry about. Unfortunately, I believe that the Lakers will sign one of these PG's: Miller, Arenas, Kidd, Payton...Buss won't mind paying the bling, IMO. :fro

CosmicCowboyXXX
04-01-2003, 09:02 PM
Cindi, I suspect that all of the point guards you mentioned will be out of the Lakers price range...they will only have the mid-cap exception to offer...

KoriEllis
04-01-2003, 09:08 PM
Miller said that things just did not work out the way he had hoped.

That's the understatement of the year. I heard that he doesn't talk to his teammates at all in the lockerroom or off the court. Not exactly a team player.

mrcoon
04-01-2003, 09:25 PM
Well, the Lakers dumped a bunch of players to get Shaq, I don't know why they wouldn't dump a few this year in order to upgrade at PG. I see Buss paying whatever he needs to, to enable this to happen.

KoriEllis
04-03-2003, 09:35 AM
Weaving a Web of support for Warriors' Arenas

www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/ar...231509.DTL (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/04/02/SP231509.DTL)

There seemed to be a touch of cynicism in the responses to the assertion in this space Monday that an avalanche of fan support could convince Miguel Tejada and the A's not to part ways after this season.

Now, an opposing view: the originators of the cyberspace "Keep Gilbert Arenas With the Warriors" campaign.

"There's always talk about the cynicism of professional sports and the attitude of the typical athlete," asserts John Fike, co-creator of staygilbert. com. "This is an attempt to provide a different, refreshing angle to that."

The fans who agree have spent the past month trying to show Arenas the love on two Web sites that on Monday evening joined forces for the common good. Fike, a teacher at Berkeley Alternative High School, and his site partner, Charles Montgomery, a teacher at San Jose's Evergreen Community College, helped rescue the sign-arenas.20fr.com site started a month ago by Alameda native Ray Yocke, a senior business major at UC Riverside.

His service provider was going out of business, so Fike and Montgomery linked Yocke's site to theirs, and now those who are devoted to convincing Arenas to stay, and the Warriors to keep him, get the best of both worlds.

That includes the petitions on both sites, which as of Tuesday had gathered 2,500 names between them, from all over the country and at least three foreign countries. Now there's even talk of starting an online collection of funds to symbolically forward to the Warriors to re-sign Arenas.

"Originally when I found out (about the other site), I wasn't exactly thrilled; I thought it was competition, and ego-wise, I wanted mine to be the only one," Yocke admitted earlier this week. "But they've put the word out that mine was the first and giving me credit, and if it helps Gilbert stay here, it's good."

"We've made it clear," Fike said, "that it's the more, the merrier."

Not that any of them is harboring illusions about the sites actually convincing Arenas to stay. "I'm optimistic," Montgomery said, "but I'm not insane. I'm realistic."

The Keep Arenas movement has been the perfect confluence of time, place and circumstance: longtime disgruntled yet techno-savvy fans, living in the heart of Silicon Valley, seeing a ray of hope from a player young enough (they hope) not to have been tainted by the team's legacy nor the lure of quick money. Something like this was practically begging to be started, and it's no surprise that it has flourished.

Yocke said he got his idea from a similar campaign a few years ago by Seattle fans to keep the Sonics from trading Gary Payton. So rabid that he touts his team while deep in the heart of Lakers country, he figured that because he couldn't wave a sign at the Arena in Oakland, a Web site was the next best thing.

Meanwhile, Fike, Montgomery and a dozen friends who share season tickets in Section 110 had been waving signs since the All-Star break. The popularity of the signs encouraged them to start the site, and when the Web site address was shown during the telecast of the Wizards game on March 23, the hits started coming.

Now both sites can be had at one address, which means, among other highlights, you get both acknowledgments of the recent, sorry past from which Arenas is rescuing the Warriors. Yocke's site has a photo gallery of "Bad Warriors" from the years spanning the post-Chris Webber playoff drought, while Fike and Montgomery recognize "the worst roster in the history of basketball," from late in the 1997-98 season that began with Latrell Sprewell choking P.J. Carlesimo.

So far, Arenas has liked what he has seen -- "It's great that the fans are so fired up to keep me here, and I'm gonna keep playing my butt off for them and see what happens," he said after a game last month. The sites have no affiliation with the Warriors or any commercial sponsor, and the team has done nothing to discourage their presence. In fact, Eric Musselman acknowledged the site in an interview on KPIX (Channel 5) on Sunday night, saying, "I'm on it all the time."

Meanwhile, a competing site, gogilbert.com, has been started by Nuggets fans who want Arenas to take the money Denver will have available this summer. "I saw it, and I loved it," Fike said.

So that's fan bases in two cities trying to convince one player and two franchises that fan cynicism isn't thriving as much as you'd think. Now, Yocke is thinking about a favorite player on another favorite team.

"Maybe the next site we do," he said, "will be a 'Save Tejada' site."

Jimcs50
04-03-2003, 12:14 PM
Maybe so.

LiLRoCkBaLLa21
04-17-2003, 05:31 AM
Arenas has an attitude. I saw a interview he did with some stupid small sports show and he reminds me of a young Stack ... cocky and arrogant.

Besides, he dont play every game like his averages it seems, he does good 1 game, bad another, so on.

PlayNando
07-21-2013, 12:02 PM
Any chance we could bring this dude back from China and have him play backup PG, tbh?

MeloHype
07-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Yeah, cut Nando then sign him

PlayNando
07-21-2013, 10:47 PM
Yeah, cut Nando then sign him
No.

Arnold Toht
07-21-2013, 10:50 PM
I have watched enough of this guy I guess. He's a good scorer, but I don't see what all the hype is about.

:lol

Rogue
07-21-2013, 11:31 PM
I heard that Scarlett Johansson is about to release her new film "lost in translation" on the Venice film festival later this month, high expectations. :drool: Have watched 3 films with Scarlett in that include "an american rhapsody", "8-legged freaks" and "Ghost world", and she surprised and impressed me each and every time. She's such a wonderful and lovely girl that I can't help but keep thinking of her in my head every day and night. She's gonna get a star on the walk of fame within 10 yrs I assure you.

I can hold my breath for a minute but I can't get my eyes away from her image for even a second! Can't wait to see her brilliant (as always) performance in "lost in translation" tbh.

Rogue
07-21-2013, 11:34 PM
and I can also make sure that Bush will get re-elected next year, sorry Scarlett I know you support Kerry like many americans but Bush will get his 2nd term. And when Bush steps down at the end of his 2nd, you'll welcome a black man as your new president, believe it or not.

dallasmaverickslose
04-07-2014, 01:40 AM
If other FA's don't come to San Antonio, do you go after Gilbert Arenas? The Warriors are limited in what they can offer, so that would play right into the Spurs' hands.

A Parker and Arenas duo would be nice:hat2

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao

Robz4000
04-07-2014, 01:57 AM
Lot of Guests in this thread imo...

Blake
04-07-2014, 10:30 AM
Manu will be the starter at the 2 guard next year.

If he is not then there is something funny going on.

Good call

Blake
04-07-2014, 10:31 AM
Cindi, I suspect that all of the point guards you mentioned will be out of the Lakers price range...they will only have the mid-cap exception to offer...

XXX?