PDA

View Full Version : If LeBron wanted to play with the Spurs?

illusioNtEk
09-01-2022, 12:12 AM
Would our front office do so? Given the fact we have great first round draft picks for a high chance.

It's a slow Spurs news month, I'm interested in what you guys think. Showtime SA?

I see Bronny as a Dwade type of player.

KingKev
09-01-2022, 06:24 AM
Would our front office do so? Given the fact we have great first round draft picks for a high chance.

It's a slow Spurs news month, I'm interested in what you guys think. Showtime SA?

I see Bronny as a Dwade type of player.

No fk LBJ. He would never come here anyways. He will play with Bronny where he wants to on his own terms.

exstatic
09-01-2022, 06:26 AM
No. We’re either rebuilding, or we’re not. The fact that LA had to poach AD from the Pels shows that he can not put a team on his back anymore.

dbestpro
09-01-2022, 08:39 AM
There is a better chance Michael Jordan finds a genie in a bottle and has two wishes were he chooses to be young again and chooses to play for the Spurs.

MultiTroll
09-01-2022, 10:45 AM
If Spurs drafted Bronny, pretty sure Lebron would gladly come here and not force a trade to the Flamers.

Even Grandpa stupid would be fine with Lebron at vet minimum, which is what Lebron said he will play for.

DMC
09-01-2022, 11:55 AM
Outside of the draft, a forced trade or a washed up role player looking for another paycheck, no one will come to SA until Pop retires. They don't really want to play under him.

Chomag
09-01-2022, 11:57 AM
Getting an aging star on his decline on the books to stunt the rebuild? Nah, hard pass stay the corse. And this is even putting his deva tendencies aside.

rogcl1
09-01-2022, 12:12 PM
Outside of the draft, a forced trade or a washed up role player looking for another paycheck, no one will come to SA until Pop retires. They don't really want to play under him.

I don't always agree with Pop but I suppose that's why 3 hall of famers spent their entire career here. And make that four including Robinson. And Parker's last year doesn't count because he left for the hope of more playing time because Pop was going to a younger player.

KingKev
09-01-2022, 12:36 PM
I don't always agree with Pop but I suppose that's why 3 hall of famers spent their entire career here. And make that four including Robinson. And Parker's last year doesn't count because he left for the hope of more playing time because Pop was going to a younger player.

He left to save face for the organization and try and keep Leonard. Sacrificial lamb. Charlotte made sense for Parker to be around MJ. Kawhi was never coming back with Parker on the roster.

KingKev
09-01-2022, 12:38 PM

Separate homegrown stars from free agents. Nobody wants to be here. Which is why we have to overpay guys like Pau, Gay, McBooger etc etc later in their career to come.

rogcl1
09-01-2022, 12:43 PM
Separate homegrown stars from free agents. Nobody wants to be here. Which is why we have to overpay guys like Pau, Gay, McBooger etc etc later in their career to come.

I agree that SA is not a prime free agent destination. I just don't think that blame all falls on Pop. And I understand there was more to Parker leaving but Kawhi was gone first chance he got no matter what .

KingKev
09-01-2022, 12:49 PM
I agree that SA is not a prime free agent destination. I just don't think that blame all falls on Pop. And I understand there was more to Parker leaving but Kawhi was gone first chance he got no matter what .

It’s not just that San Antonio is a 3rd tier American City. It’s Spurs culture. It’s become punitive. That starts with Pop.

We don’t have guys like Tim, Tony, Manu and DRob leading the way anymore. Players put up with the perfect character stuff for years so they could win. Who is leading by example now?

Even worse, PATFO and sniffers don’t think it’s a problem. Literally taking away from Tim Duncan’s legacy when they try and say this is the San Antonio Spurs way.

rogcl1
09-01-2022, 01:12 PM
It’s not just that San Antonio is a 3rd tier American City. It’s Spurs culture. It’s become punitive. That starts with Pop.

We don’t have guys like Tim, Tony, Manu and DRob leading the way anymore. Players put up with the perfect character stuff for years so they could win. Who is leading by example now?

Even worse, PATFO and sniffers don’t think it’s a problem. Literally taking away from Tim Duncan’s legacy when they try and say this is the San Antonio Spurs way.

I still think it is a combination of talent, character, and culture that wins. That is why some of these front running super team combos fail.

KingKev
09-01-2022, 01:15 PM
I still think it is a combination of talent, character, and culture that wins. That is why some of these front running super team combos fail.

I don’t disagree with that asset mix however all we have is character to the max; so much so it compromises talent.

Some of it isn’t even true character. It’s just ppl playing the politics to get paid.

rogcl1
09-01-2022, 01:38 PM
I don’t disagree with that asset mix however all we have is character to the max; so much so it compromises talent.

Some of it isn’t even true character. It’s just ppl playing the politics to get paid.

Obviously we are in a down cycle for talent and hopefully we are on the upswing of the cycle there. It will take time. Even so it is most difficult to get the proper mix or proportion of those three factors. Yes I thought we hung on too long but time will now tell. I am anxious for the season to start to see if I am cheering on the young guys or throwing something at the Tv
cursing at Pop or MCd taking a youngster's time. Understand, I am not a Pop hater but neither am I a sniffer. Thanks for the conversation, I don't post much mainly because some folks get all insulted when someone disagrees with them and also there are many posters who pretty much cover all angles of any situation.

KingKev
09-01-2022, 02:02 PM
Obviously we are in a down cycle for talent and hopefully we are on the upswing of the cycle there. It will take time. Even so it is most difficult to get the proper mix or proportion of those three factors. Yes I thought we hung on too long but time will now tell. I am anxious for the season to start to see if I am cheering on the young guys or throwing something at the Tv
cursing at Pop or MCd taking a youngster's time. Understand, I am not a Pop hater but neither am I a sniffer. Thanks for the conversation, I don't post much mainly because some folks get all insulted when someone disagrees
with them and also there are many posters who pretty much cover all angles of any situation.

I respect your views sir. If Pop is playing McD heavy minutes, remember it’s for a greater good!

rogcl1
09-01-2022, 02:09 PM
I respect your views sir. If Pop is playing McD heavy minutes, remember it’s for a greater good!

If that happens I think I'll set up one of my old TVs and get my old M1 carbine I bought at a police auction for 22 dollars in 1973 and relieve some frustration.

TD 21
09-01-2022, 03:16 PM

Pop had little to nothing to do with 4 Hall of Famers (or future, in Parker's case) spending their actual or virtually entire career here.

His relationship with Duncan played a part, but clearly the number one reason they stayed together was because they genuinely enjoyed one another and knew they had a special thing going.

exstatic
09-01-2022, 03:40 PM
Pop had little to nothing to do with 4 Hall of Famers (or future, in Parker's case) spending their actual or virtually entire career here.

His relationship with Duncan played a part, but clearly the number one reason they stayed together was because they genuinely enjoyed one another and knew they had a special thing going.

Plenty of other teams have had talented cores, but came apart like cotton candy.

His relation with Duncan played a part? His relation with Duncan was everything. Because Tim allowed himself to be coached, everything worked. No one could bark back at Pop if he yelled at Tim. That didn’t happen by accident. Right after the draft, Pop flew to Saint Croix, and spent time with Tim and his family. You ever hear of another coach doing that?

TD 21
09-01-2022, 03:48 PM
Plenty of other teams have had talented cores, but came apart like cotton candy.

His relation with Duncan played a part? His relation with Duncan was everything. Because Tim allowed himself to be coached, everything worked. No one could bark back at Pop if he yelled at Tim. That didn’t happen by accident. Right after the draft, Pop flew to Saint Croix, and spent time with Tim and his family. You ever hear of another coach doing that?

Yeah, how about giving the core players credit for once instead of the old white man?

I know the story/mythologizing, but Duncan always liked it here and was close with Robinson from the jump. Once Duncan was anchored in place, Parker and Ginobili were never going anywhere.

rogcl1
09-01-2022, 04:43 PM

Of course the players played the greatest role in their success and were also a huge part in staying together. Pop always acknowledged that. But Pop was a part of the equation. It was a unique situation and may never happen again. It seems like you let your hate for Pop override everything else.

TD 21
09-01-2022, 04:58 PM
Of course the players played a huge role in their success and in staying together. Pop always acknowledged that. But Pop was a part of the equation. It was a unique situation and may never happen again. It seems like you let your hate for Pop override everything else.

Nobody is saying he wasn't a part of the equation, but you, like many, give him far too much credit.

I don't hate Pop, but there's no where else where they have anywhere near the success that was had here where the best player(s) aren't given the majority of the credit. It's a disservice to them.

rogcl1
09-01-2022, 05:09 PM
Nobody is saying he wasn't a part of the equation, but you, like many, give him far too much credit.

I don't hate Pop, but there's no where else where they have anywhere near the success that was had here where the best player(s) aren't given the majority of the credit. It's a disservice to them.

I am not a blind Pop follower but I do think he has done a good job on many things and sucked at others. As you say some give him too much credit ,I simply say some give too much blame. I actually earned a living in this game for a while and believe me I know that you win with good players and that the players deserve the credit if you win and the coach is at fault if you lose. It is the nature of the beast. We are not too far apart here for whatever its worth.

TD 21
09-01-2022, 05:16 PM
I am not a blind Pop follower but I do think he has done a good job on many things and sucked at others. As you say some give him too much credit ,I simply say some give too much blame. I actually earned a living in this game for a while and believe me I know that you win with good players and that the players deserve the credit if you win and the coach is at fault if you lose. It is the nature of the beast. We are not too far apart here for whatever its worth.

In general, coaches get far too much blame for losses too. Especially in the "player empowerment"/homogenized style of play era, they're just not that important and far too much time is spent dissecting them.

baseline bum
09-01-2022, 05:18 PM

LOL has never heard of Phil Jackson

TD 21
09-01-2022, 05:25 PM

He doesn't get anywhere near the credit Pop does. No one but Jordan does, which is in part why there's so much animosity and bitterness among many of the key figures.

The media pretends Pop was more important than Robinson, Ginobili, Parker and at least as important as Duncan.

rogcl1
09-01-2022, 05:31 PM
In general, coaches get far too much blame for losses too. Especially in the "player empowerment"/homogenized style of play era, they're just not that important and far too much time is spent dissecting them.

In general, I agree on the blame for coaches , but I do believe even now a level of good coaching makes a big difference between good and great teams. But again the players are the majority owners on that. Bottom line is a coach can do a great job and get his ass kicked by better players. Thanks for the discussion.

spurs10
09-01-2022, 06:34 PM
Funny to see the 'I hate Pop because he called out the racist piece of shit Trump crowd' showing up saying no one wants to play for the winning Team USA and 5 time NBA Champion coach. This type of ignorance has become semi-humorous as we witness Trump's demise in real time. However, our time in the sun has passed and boy was it a long, great run. Stars coming here has little to do with Pop and a lot to do with we have no chance of making the playoffs. We are rebuilding. It takes time and the Spurs won't be relevant again for some time. Pop will soon be busy living the good life and getting inducted into the Hall Of Fame if he is so inclined to accept.

KingKev
09-01-2022, 06:56 PM
Funny to see the 'I hate Pop because he called out the racist piece of shit Trump crowd' showing up saying no one wants to play for the winning Team USA and 5 time NBA Champion coach. This type of ignorance has become semi-humorous as we witness Trump's demise in real time. However, our time in the sun has passed and boy was it a long, great run. Stars coming here has little to do with Pop and a lot to do with we have no chance of making the playoffs. We are rebuilding. It takes time and the Spurs won't be relevant again for some time. Pop will soon be busy living the good life and getting inducted into the Hall Of Fame if he is so inclined to accept.

No one is making their views on Pop about politics in this discussion. Just you.

I’m fine with Pop’s politics. Player’s don’t want to play for Pop in San Antonio for many reasons but politics isn’t one.

baseline bum
09-01-2022, 08:05 PM
He doesn't get anywhere near the credit Pop does. No one but Jordan does, which is in part why there's so much animosity and bitterness among many of the key figures.

He did when they were winning. I can't tell you how many times I heard about how the Lakers won the 2000 title because Jackson made them do basic drills in training camp.

The media pretends Pop was more important than Robinson, Ginobili, Parker and at least as important as Duncan.

LOL no they don't.

koriwhat
09-01-2022, 08:07 PM
Fuck Lebron! Pop has already tainted this team since Timmy's absence so we don't need another to do more damage while trying to rebuild.

exstatic
09-01-2022, 08:39 PM

He couldn’t ride without training wheels once Tex Winter retired.

rogcl1
09-01-2022, 09:01 PM
No one is making their views on Pop about politics in this discussion. Just you.

I’m fine with Pop’s politics. Player’s don’t want to play for Pop in San Antonio for many reasons but politics isn’t one.

I do think there was a mention in there by another poster.

ismael-robert
09-01-2022, 10:00 PM
It's sad u care what these guys think about in ur spare time

DeRozan m8
09-01-2022, 11:09 PM
Fuck no

TD 21
09-02-2022, 04:40 PM
He did when they were winning. I can't tell you how many times I heard about how the Lakers won the 2000 title because Jackson made them do basic drills in training camp.

LOL no they don't.

It was always almost held against Jackson that he coached Jordan, O'Neal, Bryant and to a lesser extent Pippen. They act like Pop coached chopped liver.

LOL yes they do.

exstatic
09-03-2022, 07:37 AM
It was always almost held against Jackson that he coached Jordan, O'Neal, Bryant and to a lesser extent Pippen. They act like Pop coached chopped liver.

LOL yes they do.

Both teams that PJ coached had already been to the conference Finals, and each had two All NBA players on the roster. Pop took over a disaster team, not knowing Duncan was coming. No one even thought we’d get him at the end of the season. We were #6 in lotto balls, and Boston had like twice as many, and wound up at #3 and #6 after the draw.

Twisted_Dawg
09-03-2022, 12:58 PM
If Bronny is available when we draft, we pick him and immediately flip him to the Lakes for their #1 unprotected picks in 2030, 2032 and 2034 with pick swaps in 2031 and 2033. The pressure on them will be too intense to decline. That's a checkmate.

KingKev
09-03-2022, 01:31 PM
If Bronny is available when we draft, we pick him and immediately flip him to the Lakes for their #1 unprotected picks in 2030, 2032 and 2034 with pick swaps in 2031 and 2033. The pressure on them will be too intense to decline. That's a checkmate.

He’s going to end up going first round if LBJ continues this chatter and it won’t be to a place LBJ doesn’t want to play. This will be managed.

TD 21
09-03-2022, 04:56 PM
Both teams that PJ coached had already been to the conference Finals, and each had two All NBA players on the roster. Pop took over a disaster team, not knowing Duncan was coming. No one even thought we’d get him at the end of the season. We were #6 in lotto balls, and Boston had like twice as many, and wound up at #3 and #6 after the draw.

I'm well aware of the history and not suggesting Jackson deserves more credit than he received. I'm saying Pop receives a disproportionate amount.

:lmao Pop took over a top five team/player; they were just decimated by injury. Then he lucked into a second, even greater "generational prospect" and the rest is history.

exstatic
09-03-2022, 08:54 PM

That’s too far out. The 2029 just became tradeable this summer. 2030 becomes available next summer.

MultiTroll
09-03-2022, 10:58 PM
Does Timmy Duncan Jr hoop? :lol

baseline bum
09-03-2022, 11:00 PM

Bronny isn't likely to be NBA level talent right out of high school when he graduates next year so you gotta think he's going to spend at least a year in college or the G-League. Best case scenario he blows up freshman year at Duke, UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, or UNC and shows himself to be NBA level talent for the 2024 draft. Then LeBron is two months from 40 when the season starts after that draft and Lolkers aren't gutting their future draft capital for that.

Twisted_Dawg
09-04-2022, 08:10 AM
My post was meant to be a parody of the Lakers woeful roster construction and inept front office management.

KingKev
09-04-2022, 08:51 AM
My post was meant to be a parody of the Lakers woeful roster construction and inept front office management.

Lol for the record even though I responded I did catch that.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-04-2022, 04:01 PM
San Antonio has never been a destination city. It takes the right superstar to want to be here. Tim, David and the Iceman. San Antonio was lucky to have three guys who were proud to put the team on their shoulders over the years, and each carved out their own period of success as the face of the franchise.

That mantle was supposed to be passed to the retard, but he wasn't cut out for it. The only chance of landing a 4th such keystone player will probably be to draft a foreign born talent. Guys like Giannis and the Joker are the only players who appear willing to stick with a mid-major and let the franchise build around them. The American players chase the money and fame. Having three Hall of Famers playing together on the same team for as long as the Spurs had? That will probably never happen again. Pop gets some credit for that in my book...a lot of credit actually. That said, he probably should have retired when Tim did like he always promised. The Spurs tried to stay relevant for a little too long instead of turning the page. I have to hand it to Utah...they saw they weren't going to win with the group they had and blew it up quick. The Spurs probably should have done that as soon as Kawhi wanted out. The rebuild would have been complete, and if all they were dumping Kawhi and LMA for was picks, they would have made out like bandits.

But...such is life. In five years or so we just might be decent again!

MultiTroll
09-05-2022, 09:50 AM
Wasn't all that separated Timmy Dunks going to Orlando Magic being Doc Rivers refusal to let the Duncan family ride on the plane?

Still think Pop gets a lot of credit but the runs foundation and ongoing anchor was Duncan, pure and simple.

Lebron is going to dictate where he goes in 2024, that's a given. If the Flamers try to force some trade to LA, i would hope whichever team drafts Bribbt holds a ransom asking price. But as always the scheming Lakers will pull some corrupt chit behind the scenes.

wildbill2u
09-05-2022, 12:37 PM

Remember how Pop chooses players and their time on court. He would have to earn any minutes. NO AUTOMATIC PLACEMENTS

exstatic
09-05-2022, 03:37 PM
Remember how Pop chooses players and their time on court. He would have to earn any minutes. NO AUTOMATIC PLACEMENTS

Right, because McDermott didn’t play at all last year. Neither did Richardson. First timers.

XDT76
09-05-2022, 06:31 PM

LOL yes they do.

Well the media thinks that Parker and Manu are chopped liver, they have to give credit some where.

Poolboy5623
09-07-2022, 09:54 AM
What a great idea.

DMC
09-10-2022, 12:39 AM
Funny how revisionist some posters here are with Tony and Manu, like 28th and 57th in the draft are staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacked.

lmbebo
09-17-2022, 09:56 AM
he would never work with the Spurs. He wants full control of the franchise, player decisions, trades, etc. Spurs have always been the opposite of that.

MultiTroll
09-17-2022, 11:25 AM
he would never work with the Spurs. He wants full control of the franchise, player decisions, trades, etc. Spurs have always been the opposite of that.
True, however sounds like Lebron truly just wants to spend a season or two with Junior.

What you said tho, soo true and a more Laker continual scam type move would be for whomever drafts Bronny to accept some payments from Fakerville ala Kobme Bryant draft etc etc. Thus the ABC Disney Laker Entertainment Production would remain in LA.

lmbebo
09-18-2022, 10:29 AM
True, however sounds like Lebron truly just wants to spend a season or two with Junior.

What you said tho, soo true and a more Laker continual scam type move would be for whomever drafts Bronny to accept some payments from Fakerville ala Kobme Bryant draft etc etc. Thus the ABC Disney Laker Entertainment Production would remain in LA.

That may be true with playing with his son. But that doesn't mean he wants to lose either... I can't see him just going along for the ride ...

K...
09-18-2022, 12:21 PM
I don't think people realize how desperate the spurs will be for a ticket out of mediocrity. There are roads to avoid, but no road to contention available to a team this mediocre. If TOSB lebron says hell come you take his corny ticket selling ass.

exstatic
09-18-2022, 12:26 PM
I don't think people realize how desperate the spurs will be for a ticket out of mediocrity. There are roads to avoid, but no road to contention available to a team this mediocre. If TOSB lebron says hell come you take his corny ticket selling ass.

They could have put together a playoff team this off-season, if that was their goal. That would have eliminated any chance of finding and developing a franchise player. They’d have shitty bottom half picks, and no cap room to rent to get more. The playoff run would have lasted 3-4 years, and we’d be right back where we are now.

KingKev
09-18-2022, 12:49 PM
What is going to be very telling is how they manage this season. There is no reason to be making a play-in push because others have dropped out the race. I’m not banking on the number one pick but we desperately need a few years picking in the top 5 to get true talent.

Our ability to develop remains a competitive advantage but it’s easier to develop players who already have elite talent. Keldon and Vassell are going to look damn good in a few years if we can get a few true cornerstones.

We can’t rely on picking late lottery especially when you overlay very stringent character ideals.

spurs10
09-18-2022, 12:57 PM
What is going to be very telling is how they manage this season. There is no reason to be making a play-in push because others have dropped out the race. I’m not banking on the number one pick but we desperately need a few years picking in the top 5 to get true talent.

Our ability to develop remains a competitive advantage but it’s easier to develop players who already have elite talent. Keldon and Vassell are going to look damn good in a few years if we can get a few true cornerstones.

We can’t rely on picking late lottery especially when you overlay very stringent character ideals. This is where we are now. Yes a #1 pick isn't given, but we should be able to get in the top 5 at least. We have gotten that bounce in the past. It's hard to acclimate yourself to getting a boatload of losses, but that's where we'll find the pay-off.

As for LeBron coming here, I'm sure he remembers Game 1 of the 2014 Finals and would want a guarantee the AC has been fixed.

KingKev
09-18-2022, 01:30 PM
^ Even though I do respect him as one of the greats it’s satisfying that there were consequences to his diva ways but if it came to a realistic scenario you have to consider it but I doubt he organically ends up playing for the MLE with wherever Bronny lands. This will be a managed/manipulated process.

KingKev
09-19-2022, 11:11 AM
^ Even though I do respect him as one of the greats it’s satisfying that there were consequences to his diva ways but if it came to a realistic scenario you have to consider it but I doubt he organically ends up playing for the MLE with wherever Bronny lands. This will be a managed/manipulated process.

lol first domino coming into place:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10049471-report-nba-nbpa-in-serious-talks-over-new-cba-return-of-hs-to-draft-discussed

Bronny turns 18 in October and if they changed the rule would be eligible in 2018.

KingKev
09-19-2022, 12:56 PM
lol first domino coming into place:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10049471-report-nba-nbpa-in-serious-talks-over-new-cba-return-of-hs-to-draft-discussed

Bronny turns 18 in October and if they changed the rule would be eligible in 2018.

Won’t kick in till 2024.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-21-2022, 11:57 AM
I think we're going to see LeBron start to break down. When the effect of the 'roids starts to wear off the effect on the body is pretty immense. This might be his last truly effective season as a lead player...just my prediction. I'd bet the wheels will come off soon, and come off dramatically.

exstatic
09-21-2022, 03:12 PM
I think we're going to see LeBron start to break down. When the effect of the 'roids starts to wear off the effect on the body is pretty immense. This might be his last truly effective season as a lead player...just my prediction. I'd bet the wheels will come off soon, and come off dramatically.

I knew he was cycling downward when he felt the need to poach AD from New Orleans. After his disastrous first season in LA, he knew it would be a chore just to carry a team to the playoffs, let alone a title.

KingKev
09-21-2022, 03:19 PM
LBJ is still in immaculate shape. He just needs to get to the playoffs healthy and rested which is the problem. Can’t expect him to play play 82 games at 35 mins a game at this age. TD was playing under 35 mins a game from the mid 2000s onwards. LBJ has been playing 35+ in perpetuity plus involved in yearly deep play-off runs. Give the man his dues.

That’s the beauty of Warriors right now. Klay, Steph and Dray can coast/rest like Tim, Tony and Manu did at the end of their careers and play extended minutes come playoffs.