PDA

View Full Version : NY Times has an article about tubing down the Guadalupe River

Blake
09-08-2022, 10:53 AM
I think they nailed the experience pretty well

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/07/travel/river-float-texas.html

SpursforSix
09-08-2022, 12:03 PM
I think they nailed the experience pretty well

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/07/travel/river-float-texas.html

I can't get behind the paywall.

Here's my one experience. About 14 people going down in two boats. The one thing the dude said at the beginning was..."there's a big rock early on. If you go to the right, it's heavy rapids. If you go to the left, it's easier. But make a decision. Do not get close to the rock. I was in the boat with the drunk people (me included). Either no one listened or no one really cared. We saw the big ass rock but couldn't avoid it. Our boat got capsized and sucked right up to the rock on the downstream side. We're just trying to get to shore and grab the coolers and loose shit on the way. We find a bank and just start hammering the beers and shit. We can see our boat. It's suctioned to the rock.
One dude (who made it to the bank) was under the boat (between the boat and the rock) for a short while. Maybe an hour later, we get a new boat delivered to us. The original boat is still hard stuck on the rock and they're trying to get it off. After that, everything was fine.

Blake
09-08-2022, 12:29 PM
The parts of the river(s) where you float calmly down is heaven. I've been tubing about 10 times and about 7 I've got some stories that ended badly for friends in the group

SpursforSix
09-08-2022, 12:33 PM
The parts of the river(s) where you float calmly down is heaven. I've been tubing about 10 times and about 7 I've got some stories that ended badly for friends in the group

It's definitely no joke. Once we got past the rock and the new boat, it was great. But man, putting drunk people in a boat with the potential outcome of death is nuts.

Millennial_Messiah
09-08-2022, 01:06 PM
oh shiz, forgot to do my wordle today

Millennial_Messiah
09-08-2022, 01:14 PM
CLASS. stupid double letter got me. CLAMS and CLAWS didn't work. they shouldn't have that bullshit.

Millennial_Messiah
09-08-2022, 01:20 PM
I might go in like January

Monostradamus
09-08-2022, 01:41 PM
Last time I went tubing down the Guadalupe was around 16 years ago. Got so drunk I crapped my pants. Wiped out a couple times and banged my head on a rock. Top 5 most fun day I’ve ever had.

Blake
09-08-2022, 01:50 PM
CLASS. stupid double letter got me. CLAMS and CLAWS didn't work. they shouldn't have that bullshit.

Yeah, took all six for me today. I had clasp and clash

leemajors
09-08-2022, 01:52 PM

Prefer Spelling Bee myself

Millennial_Messiah
09-08-2022, 01:55 PM

I had never missed one until today. My mom missed the one last week that was "Gully" but I got that one in 4. I was kind of dicking around though and my strategy was pretty bad today, admittedly

Blake
09-08-2022, 02:06 PM
Prefer Spelling Bee myself

Like that one too. I also like the mini crossword. It's never crazy difficult like the full one

SpursforSix
09-08-2022, 02:17 PM
Like that one too. I also like the mini crossword. It's never crazy difficult like the full one

Man...I love the full crossword. I can usually solve Monday-Wednesday 100%. Thursday is my favorite because they'll have a trick in there. Friday and Saturday are tough. Sunday is a bigger puzzle but on par with Wednesday in terms of difficulty.

Blake
09-08-2022, 02:28 PM
Some of the ol frat buddies I'd go with would make an ice chest worth of jello shots to sell for the price of a rack flash